PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Bleeding

Camelot
2012-05-28, 09:48 AM
The archdemon is slain, the fifth Blight is over. However, the wound on Ferelden is not closed, and nobody seems to be able to stop the bleeding...

They said that they could rebuild. They underestimated how complete the annihilation of the Blight could be. Lothering is not the ideal trade location that it once was. The land is dry and lifeless, as if still sick from the disease that the darkspawn spread. The only plant life that can grow is twisted and poisonous. The water is tainted as well. Those who thought they were returning to a normal life are being treated with a steadily dwindling supply of food and water that has to be rationed out to prevent starvation or violence.

You have each come to Lothering for your own reasons, whether to help rebuild, to hide from your past, or just to rest before you continue your journey. The sky is a reddish grey and filled with clouds when the townsfolk gather inside what is left of the chantry to receive their weekly rations. If you have your own food, you need not wait in line, but you have come into the chantry from outside to rest. Everyone is expected to work to help rebuild, even travelers who are just passing through, and you have been up since dawn.

Knight Commander Cornelius, a templar with gray whiskers and old eyes, is overseeing the distribution of rations, sitting behind a wooden table at the foot of a statue of Andraste. Elder Miriam, an old lady with a nasty cough, stands behind him, handing him packages of rations to give to the villagers. Many of the townsfolk look tired, hungry, and upset, judging by some scowls.

Hack Writer
2012-05-28, 12:55 PM
FYI: My Ferelden knight's undergone a name change; he's now Ser Braydon Gillard, not Calain.

Braydon has visited Lothering before. Sidling his tired body through the press of the poor and the destitute, he recalls cosy, tightly nestled houses and narrow little cobbled lanes; he remembers fields of shoulder-high idly nodding corn girded by well tended wooden fences, and meadows dappled by flowers that stretched like coloured cloth al the way to the southern reaches of the Bannorn. But this was before the war – before the Blight; this was before the world was upended by madmen clutching at crowns that didn’t belong to them. Now Lothering rots, spoiling like unpicked fruit in late summer.

Not like it’s much different anywhere else, the knight muses, picking his way through a sea of tired, hungry faces. Faces are different, but the muck that cakes ‘em’s still the same…He’s seen it all before - a hundred times over, though the familiarity does nothing to make the sight easier to bear.

The day a man stops feeling is the day he stops living, that’s what Ser Hothgur used to say. Hothgur was a good man; old, haggard, face like a surly bear chewing on a bumblebee - but just about the finest captain an impressionable young knight-to-be could ever want for his superior. He’d washed the mud off Braydon and polished him up, instilling in the youth a sense of purpose and responsibility that had served him well to this day.

“I’m ‘ere for work,” the knight says, when he finally reaches the Templar commander in charge of the ration distribution. “Don’t care what it is, or ‘ow much it pays; I’m good with a blade, got me a strong back, an’ don’t mind ‘eavy lifting.”

I'm imagining Braydon has having a strong English West Country accent - kind of an unsophisticated quality to it. For those of you not familiar with the subtleties of British regional accents, picture Sean Austin's accent in The Lord of the Rings trilogy - only a lot less rubbish!

EDIT: Fudged the colours!

dancrilis
2012-05-28, 03:30 PM
@dancrilis: I think it makes more sense if spells with continuous effects, like Rock Armor and Walking Bomb, don't stack. Instantaneous spells like Heal can be used repeatedly on the same target.

Hmm, yea I had considered those two I figured that Rock Armour wouldn't work as it specifically states that it does not stack with regular armour and as the spell grants regular armour that it wouldn't work. At a very specific reading of it.

I figured that Walking bomb would work as otherwise I would have no way of knowing when/if it wore off making it somewhat unreliable and a guess as to when to cast it (and because it deals less damage then the instant attacks).
I suppose that I could have an understanding of my own magic that would allow me to know if it is still in affect (and possible the ability to nullify it at will) at your discretion.

I would like to change Rock Armour to Arcane Bolt, Daze, Drain Life, Weakness of Vulnerability Hex (whichever you like) if that is alright just thinking about it I don't really she her having spent the time to learn a spell that is so obvious and with long lasting affects, I assume Arcane Bolt is obvious but it would the equivalent of her pulling out the stops, where the rest would be not immediately obvious (unsure about Drain Life whether it would have an obvious element or other then wounds sealing).
I would be inclined to take Drain Life if it is more or less invisible (it matches her desire to conquer death), and Arcane Bolt otherwise (to allow her a long range respectable attack, while focusing on manipulating spirit energy, also matching her desires somewhat), but I would also be happy with the others as solid utility spells that she could use with cunning (again assuming no obvious magic affect).
But only with your permission to change of course.
Anyway on with the show.

Kelsie had been in Lothering for a while now, ever since her friend and mentor Vengest had travelled here with the intention of setting up shop and helping the locals rebuild and finally having a set place in the world, she had suspected on seeing the ruins that he would get turn around and return to the road ... she had been waiting for him to get fed up with the place for over a week now.

She argued with the dwarf frequently trying to change his mind about staying, but he was more stubborn then Jess the mule, he worked hard and was well respected and he was happy to be building something. Kelsie on the other hand was not happy having to share lodgings with Templars and others that she didn't trust.

She was well enough regarded in general also, she made sure she was polite and helped clean the chantry, attended services to to maker, and told stories to the children occasionally to brighten the mood. But it was clear she was not overly enthused with staying in the village.

Finally getting fed up she pulled Vengest aside for one final try to convince him to leave, and when he would not she hugged him for all he had done for her she wished him well, the dwarf just smiled gently said take 'Jess if you need her' and went back to work.

Jess would be a blow to the community as she was a solid work animal, but Kelsie had cared for her for years now and would not leave her if Vengest was willing to part with her, she would miss the dwarf.

Considering her next move she approached Elder Miriam, "Miriam", she had a habit of simply using names rather then adding an honorific a trait she had picked up from Vengest over the years "I am leaving soon, and with Vengest's blessing I am taking Jess with me", and fixing the woman with a business like look "I am thinking of taking up a merchant route and seeing if it suits me, if you can offer compensation either directly or through the chantry I am happy enough to see about gathering clean rations and water and bring some back", getting down to the business end of the proposition "I would likely need coin to hire protection on the road however, and to purchase supplies at the nearest stable town and return".

Not sure if it is two early for tests if so please ignore, or treat as you like.
Communication:[roll0]
Final Dice is the Dragon Dice.
To get the woman to agree to the deal, and offer some coin or other assistance to help her out.
She is serious that she would consider returning to help out, but she is making no promises.

Strawberries
2012-05-28, 03:46 PM
Nehnlem keeps well away from the Knight Commander, and from all the other official-looking figures he can see. He can't shake the feeling that coming here was a mistake: this is a small town...was a small town, actually. Now it's nothing more than a pile of rubble, but still, small. Small means that people tend to notice strangers, expecially elven strangers who don't look like servants. So far, noone has bothered him with more than questioning looks, but that doesn't mean that his luck is going to last. Besides, it doesn't seem like there's much profit to be made, here. he thinks, looking at the half-starved, worn-out people waiting in line to receive their ration. He should probably be on his way soon. Tomorrow morning at the latest. Go to a bigger city, where people are better off. There is no purpose in stealing those people's beans and bread.

OOC: No, I don't plan on going away without interacting with anyone, and I don't really want to be the brooding mysterious type for any significant amount of time. But at the moment, Nehnlem really doesn't want to bring attention to himself. I'll work out a way for him to get involved in whatever mess we are getting involved into soon. :smallwink:
Or, you know, someone could simply come and arrest him. That would be easier. :smalltongue:

Also, Link to sheet, for reference (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoSa9PDHvKyjdHVoTFEzQ1lySlVHSi1ZLWFhMjk3d VE&pli=1#gid=0)

Camelot
2012-05-28, 05:57 PM
I forget if I mentioned this, but dancrilis has it right: the last number rolled is the Dragon Die. I'll let you know when you should start making rolls (right now it's just roleplaying), and then you can choose what abilities/focuses to use depending on what you're doing (I'll trust your judgment!).

@Hack Writer: Sure, name change is fine, but it's stuck now!

@dancrilis: Feel free to change it to whatever you want; it's up in the air until you actually cast something. You'll know if a target is still being affected by Walking Bomb; you've come to recognize the telltale signs of nausea and bloodshot eyes, which go away after the effects wear off. That way you can't cast it again when it wouldn't have any effect.

The Knight Commander looks up at Braydon. His eyes clearly reveal his fatigue. "We're glad to have you around. We need all the help we can get rebuilding the homes and tending to the land, but I'm afraid I cannot pay you anything for your troubles. Everyone you see is here as a last resort. Now, do you need any rations?"

~~~

Elder Miriam sighs and turns to Kelsie. "Dear, you're leaving?" she says, following with a cough. "No, I won't allow it. You've grown on me, dear, and even if I did have coin to give you, you'd never survive out there alone. The roads still aren't safe without armed guards. Bandits, wolves and the like."

Brayden, if you already have rations but try to get more, you'll have to make a Communication (Deception) check.

dancrilis
2012-05-29, 02:36 AM
Thanks Camelot on consideration I will go with Arcane Bolt, I might never use it in public but it seems a reliable choice.

Kelsie looked at the older woman taking in her tired features, and let out a low sigh and crossed her arms in front of her"I appreciate the concern Miriam, but you can't and won't stop me, Ferelden is still a free country", her voice becoming more reasonable again "you are right guards are a concern, which is why I approached you. Even without hard cash a chantry guarantee of payment at the next settlement would allow me to gather guards here, purchase supplies at the next stop and return ... ", she considered her next words and went with honesty and of course make some small profit".

Smiling slightly at the older woman, "Ultimately I need to get out from under Vengest's feet and start carrying myself", and looking pointedly around her "and you need me or someone else to restock supplies here and as you pointed out the road is dangerous so you can't be sure anyone else is coming". Kelsie lowered her voice for this last selling point so as not to offend anyone listening, "In fact some of the more troublesome looking visitors you have might make excellent guards, which would get them out of your hair", the Elder was welcoming enough but she didn't doubt that some of the people here were regarded as likely troublemakers.

Camelot
2012-05-29, 08:39 AM
Elder Miriam sighs. "I see there's no stopping you then." She shakes her head. "Those strangers are not in my hair, dear. They're helping, and if we sent them off, we'd have even less hope of rebuilding Lothering than we do now. But...you're right, everyone is free choose as they will. So ask them if they'd like to come with you, and their choice is their choice. All I can do is wish you luck. Maybe you'll find someone else around town with a bit more to spare." She turns her head to cough and then continues. "Of course you're always welcome back. We're supposed to have caravans going back and forth from Redcliffe, but...they were supposed to arrive yesterday. If you happen to see them on the way, please tell them to hurry. Don't tell anyone, but we're starting to run low-"

One of the villagers who just received his rations suddenly shouts. "Hey, there's barely any food here! This is less than last week! We can barely survive on this!" Grumbles and protests rise out from the crowd. Knight Commander Cornelius turns from Braydon and stands up. "Everyone! Yes, there is less food to go around this week, but there's still enough on which to live. Please, settle down so we can return to work as soon as possible!" However, the villagers do not calm down, and you can tell that an argument is about to break out.

In this argument, whenever you try to convince one side to do something, you must make an appropriate test. You can only make one argument, and thus one test, before you have to allow someone else to speak or you are interrupted. You can use the following roleplaying stunts from Set 2:

SP Cost - Stunt Description
1 - Bon Mot: You tag the perfect witty remark onto the end of your action, affecting all those who hear it that much more deeply. If you can't think of one, the rest of the players and the GM quickly brainstorm one, and you choose among them. Word of your wit is likely to spread, for good or ill.
2 - And Another Thing: You manage to weave a second thread of conversation into the primary interaction that called for the test, if your description supports it. If relevant, you may make an additional test as part of your action, before anyone else has a chance to respond or make any tests or arguments of their own.
2 - Sway the Crowd: Your interpersonal efforts are so effective that they spill over onto others in the area, and you affect one additional person of your choice past the original target. You may use this stunt multiple times on the same roll. However, if the test that gave rise to this stunt was an opposed test, you may not expand the effect to anyone who has a higher ability + focus total than the original target.
3 - Stunned Silence: You are so impressive that you leave all those who witness your display completely dumbfounded and unable to speak for at least a full round. Outside combat, this lasts, at the very least, long enough for your character to begin to do something else.
3 - Jest: You turn a phrase, twist your expression, or make some other comic motion that leads those nearby to laugh, or at the very least, stifle their snorts. Anyone nearby who wishes to avoid laughing must make a TN 11 Willpower (Self-Discipline) test, with the exception - at the GM's discretion - of whomever you've made the butt of your joke.
4 - Flirt: Choose one character who's present and immediately make an opposed Communication (Seduction) vs. Willpower (Self-Discipline) test. If you win, that character becomes enamored with yours, assuming gender-preference compatibility. What exactly this means in the moment and how it might play out (or fall apart) in the long run are up to the GM (or the player, if this stunt targets a PC), and depend on how you continue to act, but if you're successful, you've created an opening for romantic opportunities.
4 - Tower of Will: Your success gives you a sense of your own brilliance and strength of character. For the rest of the current roleplaying exchange, you gain a +1 bonus to any opposed tests where an opponent tries to put you at an emotional disadvantage, such as by intimidating you, impressing you, bargaining with you, etc.
5 - Enrage: You twist the knife, delivering a provocation or insult in such a way that a single target you designate must choose between either attacking you or storming away from the scene. If they choose to attack the assault need not be deadly, although that option is open to the enraged character. A slap or the throwing of the gauntlet may stand in as an "attack" just as well.

Strawberries
2012-05-29, 11:33 AM
No, not a good idea. Definitely one of my worst ideas. Nehnlem begins to inch towards the door, quietly. Angry people are bad news. Angry, starving people are worse. Nehnlem has seen enough mobs in his lifetime to know the signs of one forming. And also to know that usually, in those situations, those with ears shaped like his tend to make excellent targets. Get out of here before someone notices you his mind helpfully supplies.

dancrilis
2012-05-29, 02:43 PM
Kelsie was getting exasperated with the woman, she had offered a chance to reduce the head count of the starving population, remove troublemakers, increase the food stock per head for the rest, provide more food in the future, and other goods as needed ... and all the elder could think of were more her own pressing matters.

Kelsie felt herself a bit of a fool at realisation, the woman likely was half starved, constantly pestered about conditions while having to keep a calm reassuring façade, her own pressing matters where legitimate and she likely had not considered the offer in any depth.

The angry mob offered an opportunity however, raising her hands to be seen and her voice to be heard "Please people, we don't need any fighting among ourselves. I will be leaving Lothering for a while, which should help the ration count," she gestured to the woman "and Miriam has let me know that supplies are on the way, albeit running a bit late. As such I will look for them on the road to Redcliffe and return if I find them, if I don't find them I will see about getting aid from Redcliffe to assist us!". She took a breath to calm herself for the business side of things "I would appreciate any assistance that any could offer me, either guards as the road is dangerous, which would also allow more ration count among the people staying to rebuild, or money to purchase goods in Redcliffe if needed", smiling and allowing her voice to go light "after all we can't eat silver".

To calm the person in the crowd that initially spoke about the conditions.

I think the following might be the best way to handle stunts rather then double post, depending on how many stunt points I get, let me know if you agree, or how you would like it handled.
I haven't got Set 2 yet I will probably pick it up soon.

Stunt Description
6 Stunt points:
And Another Thing: Convince them to pay me.
Sway the Crowd * 2: Convince more people to remain calm and pay me.

4 Stunt points:
Sway the Crowd: Convince more people to remain calm and pay me.

3 Stunt points:
Bon Mot: The comment on silver and food at the end.

2 Stunt points:

1 Stunt points:
Bon Mot: The comment on silver and food at the end.

Hack Writer
2012-05-29, 04:15 PM
That’s as bad an idea as I’ve ever heard, Braydon thinks, eavesdropping on the conversation between the girl and her chantry guardian. She wants to stay here, where it’s safe. There ain’t no darkspawn ‘ere; no bandits or robbers or Blight-addled lunatics looking to stave off cravings best left unspoken. If the girl’s got the sense the Maker gave to a duck, she’ll stay put.

He’s about to say something to the girl, to chime on the side of the chantry matron, when the commotion sweeps through the crowd, diverting his attention.

Braydon notes the way the girl’s first to react. Balls of a Mabari, I’ll give ‘er that, he thinks.

"Aye, you lot, listen to the Templar; anyone with a set o’ working eyes can see this ain’t exactly the Teyrn’s feast hall. Keep order, stay calm and there’ll be enough to go round; that caravan will be ‘ere soon enough.” He pauses, and a moment of inspiration takes hold of him. “We’re, er, on our way ourselves to go fetch it now…. Isn’t that right, me lady?”

He gives the girl a knowing wink.

@Dancrilis: Nice move, mate. Braydon's going to hope Kelsie plays along with the ruse, just for now.

Here's his roll:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+2 for communication

Camelot
2012-05-29, 11:08 PM
A woman steps to the front of the crowd. She stands with her hands on her hips, and you can see her bones stretching her skin. She scowls and says, "That caravan can come any time it wants. It still won't be enough. You lied, Cornelius. Lothering is lost."

"Perna, please-"

The woman turns and yells at the crowd. "We were all lied to! We could have rebuilt our lives in Denerim, but the chantry made false promises of a new start that they knew they wouldn't be able to fulfill!"

Hack Writer
2012-05-30, 12:29 PM
@Camelot: Not sure if either of our previous tests were passed or failed, and I know Kelsie and Braydon have already acted, so you can scratch the dice rols for this post, if you prefer.

Braydon leans over to the girl and whispers out of the corner of his mouth, “I overhead you talking to the Elder before, something about wanting a bit of adventure; well, I think you’ve found it.”

"Oh by the bloody Maker's bloody beard, that’s all we need; that mad bird’s going to tip ‘em over the edge.” Braydon sighs, gives the Templar a quick, sympathetic glance, then turns back to the girl, “the name’s Braydon, by the way; Ser Braydon, though you can save the curtseying for later – like when we’re not about to get stampeded.”

The woman turns and yells at the crowd. "We were all lied to! We could have rebuilt our lives in Denerim, but the chantry made false promises of a new start that they knew they wouldn't be able to fulfill!"

Braydon finds the metaphorical hackles rise on the back of his neck at this remark. "Oi! that ain't the sort of thing a Ferelden says; it's the kind o' tripe you hear from one o' them vinegar-drinking Orlesians! We're tough, we're survivors; we don't go cowering under the skirts of our mothers the first sign of trouble. No, we stick it out - we endure. You think you'd last on the road all the way to Denerim? I've just come out the Bannorn and I can tell you this much, the road ain't an easy one to walk for even a whole party of armoured knights, much less a band of unarmed folk like yourselves."

Braydon's eyes range across the crowd, gauging the mettle of all assembled. "Now, who's going to join me and the lass on our way to Redcliffe?"

Strawberrieeees! Come and play!

Braydon's going to make an Intimidation check against the woman:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+2 from Strength

Again, Camelot, disregard this roll if it's inappropriate.

EDIT: get the colours wrong - again!

dancrilis
2012-05-30, 03:22 PM
Kelsie turned towards the man speaking to her, "adventure Maker no, I am merely seeing if I can help out and make an honest living as a merchant" she smiled warmly at Braydon he would be waiting a long time before getting a Ser from her, "but I would welcome the company on the road", extending her hand "I am Kelsie".

Well as much fun as watching a Templar get shouted at was, it was time to give this a second go, she had at least had some success getting aid for the journey the first time.

"Perna please, Lothering is only lost if you let it be lost. I understand that you are hungry and tired but you would not have had it easier in Denerim, you would have been begging and starving on the streets among countless others, here you have a voice, a community and the right to work for yourself. Is it easy, no, but nothing worthwhile ever is", she took a breath as a thought occurred, "Lothering does have many benefits that may not have been considered, but we need food and water first which the caravan or Redcliffe can provide assuming that we can purchase them".

Communication (Persuasion):[roll0]
To calm Perna.

Stunt Description
6 Stunt points:
And Another Thing: Convince them to give me money for the promise of helping them.
Sway the Crowd * 2: Convince more people to stay calm and pay me.

4 Stunt points:
And Another Thing: Convince them to give me money for the promise of helping them.
Sway the Crowd: Convince another person to stay calm and pay me.

3 Stunt points:
Bon Mot: The comment at the end focusing peoples minds on working to better themselves so they can purchase things.

2 Stunt points:

1 Stunt points:
Bon Mot: The comment at the end focusing peoples minds on working to better themselves so they can purchase things.

Strawberries
2012-05-30, 03:42 PM
OOC:((Hah! Joining a couple of humans on a quest is EXACTLY the last thing he wants to do, but never be said I can't twist my motives around until they make sense again find the right motivation for joining the party... :smalltongue:))

Nehnlem continues in his task of shifting towards the door a couple of inches at a time, perfectly aware that to draw attention in this moment may very well act as a catalist for very unpleasant things... A couple of meters. A couple of meters without anyone making a fuss is really all I need. Just a couple of... DAMN!. The abrupt change in the inner commentary is due to the fact that the entrance has suddenly been blocked by a couple of men. A couple of very burly, very armed men... that seem to have no intention to move. There goes that plan. At least for the moment, he is stuck. In a situation that seems to be fast degenerating, too. Maker's balls.

At that point, the knight A knight? Things keep getting better makes his little speech, addressing the crowd for support... and that gives him an idea. He can't avoid detection for long, not with the current status of things, so it's better that he attracts it on his own terms "I'm willing to accompany you." he says, in a loud, clear voice. Act as if you having pointed ears and being here is nothing out of the ordinary. he thinks, even as he tries to control the unpleasant sensation at the pit of his stomach that comes from having all the attention suddenly turned to him. Redcliffe. Redcliffe sounds good. Anywhere but here sounds good, at the moment.

EDIT:OOC
((Again, sorry. It's the only way I found to join that didn't force me to break character too much. :smallwink:))

Camelot
2012-05-30, 04:20 PM
I've been keeping track of successes and failures and trying to relay to you only the results of your tests rather than breaking the fourth wall by telling you if you passed or failed.Perna seems insulted rather than intimidated by Braydon, and as such Kelsie's pleas fall on deaf ears. "Redcliffe? You want to go there, be my guest," she says. "Redcliffe has as many problems as we do, and on top of that, they're swimming in politics! No, we need to go where the Blight did the least damage, north! We can find refuge among the Bannorn, and even if they turn us all away, we can at least reach Highever." Several voices in the crowd voice their agreement. To Kelsie, Perna adds, "You need to wake up to reality, miss, and stop tending to those naive dreams."

Elder Miriam looks resigned, but Cornelius stands up and speaks to Braydon, Kelsie, and Nehnlem. "I normally wouldn't suggest this, but we need to give these people hope or else...If you're willing to go to Redcliffe and find out what has happened to the caravan, I can put in a good word with the templars there so that you won't end up having to beg. I can't offer you any tangible payment, but you will have my endless gratitude if you can reason some sense into these people. They won't listen to me just because I'm a templar, but they might if you can prove that help is on the way."

dancrilis
2012-05-30, 05:21 PM
Strawberries I figured he might join up for the potential money and safety in numbers.

Kelsie was getting fed up with this village, a year ago she likely would have plotted some revenge on the woman for annoying her, act meek and wait until they have forgotten about you, then cause them to explode them was always was somewhat cathartic, she smiled at thought of the wording Vengest had used one evening on the road after one such event Kelsie, you can't solve all your problems by exploding them away, he was right but diplomacy was not working.

Fixing Perna with a look that could freeze blood the smile still on her face, and her voice calm "You are skin and bones, and you honestly think you can survive the journey north. Ha, not likely, and you have the gall to accuse me of naivety. Further politics means food, no one cares who is in charge if everyone is dying anyway ... no one but the person with the food access and the power to hold it, who is automatically in charge. Politics implies multiple factions and thereby multiple food stores", her voice friendly, almost jovial "but you are fully entitled to leave and make your way north, less mouths to feed here, more rations for the reminding people, those with a bit of pride in them, you are a free woman after all", she finished.

Lets see of the dice roller continues to had me with a different tact.
Cunning(Cultural Lore):[roll0]
To ostracise Perna but making her seem out of touch with Fereldan spirit.

Stunt Description
6 Stunt points:
Sway the Crowd * 3: Convince more people to shun Perna.

5 Stunt points:
Sway the Crowd * 2: Convince more people to shun Perna.
Bon Mot: The comment at the end focusing peoples minds on having the woman leave to allow more food for everyone else.

4 Stunt points:
Sway the Crowd *2: Convince more people to shun Perna.

3 Stunt points:
Sway the Crowd: Convince another person to stay calm and pay me.
Bon Mot: The comment at the end focusing peoples minds on having the woman leave to allow more food for everyone else.

2 Stunt points:
Sway the Crowd: Convince others to shun Perna.

1 Stunt points:

Looking at the Elf, she nodded in greeting, "your presence is welcome, as you have likely heard we can't pay but if we come across goods on the way that we need I will see you get your fair share for fair work", extending her hand "Kelsie".

Turning to the Templar, "I would prefer stated reward, but I will take gratitude as offered the aid of a Templar can be most useful. I do intend to take unneeded goods found for our group as we are the ones taking the risks here", considering for a minute "We will also need notes indicating we are acting with the blessing of the Chantry and the Templars to ensure that we can receive assistance as needed".

Looking at her two companions, "We should leave now before the situation gets worse here unless either of you have anything to take care of".

Camelot
2012-05-30, 08:29 PM
This time, Perna blushes as some of the townsfolk mumble about her lack of pride. "Well, I'm not going alone," she grumbles, then retreats back into the crowd. The line continues to move as the rest of the townsfolk get their rations and head back to work.

Cornelius sits back down to continue handing out the rations. "I'll get you the notes as soon as I'm done here. As for supplies, you'll have to ask the villagers. We've already handed out all of our extra equipment, but there might be some other travelers like yourselves who have their own."

You see a woman who has already collected her rations, but is standing by the door with a nervous look on her face. There's also a thin but young man who is struggling with a large burlap sack which is filled just enough that you can't see what's in it, but it looks quite heavy.

Lothering may be a small town, but there's plenty to do. It's all up to you what you want to do, of course, but you have some time to explore before Cornelius finishes. Like I said, I'm going for an open world, not a railroad; going through one door opens some and closes others.

You've been in town long enough to know the places around it: the Chantry, of course; the town square, which is in the process of being rebuilt; the Imperial Highway; the farmland; and the remains of the windmill.

Strawberries
2012-05-31, 07:00 AM
Nehnlem nods to Kelsie, accepting the proffered hand. By choosing not to address the matter of his race, the human has just gained a couple of points in his consideration. "Nehnlem" he introduces himself, curtly. "Let's leave before someone gets strange ideas."

Hack Writer
2012-05-31, 01:47 PM
Shamed by a corn stalk of a girl and an… - elf?! That can’t be right… Braydon thinks, as the crowd retreats like midmorning surf in the face of pragmatic common sense, mutters and complaints following in their wake. He walks over to the elf, a wide smile cutting a lateral slice across his face. “A pleasure to met you, Neh – uh – Nehhhnlem,” he says, clumsily pronouncing the unfamiliar Elven syllables. “Took guts that did, offering to help us like that”.

Cornelius sits back down to continue handing out the rations. "I'll get you the notes as soon as I'm done here. As for supplies, you'll have to ask the villagers. We've already handed out all of our extra equipment, but there might be some other travelers like yourselves who have their own."

“I haven’t got much - just the clothes and weapons I’m carrying. I’ve been travelling light - necessity, not choice; the more you got, the more folks there are with a mind to take it away. Got me a few coins though, and wouldn’t mind stocking up before heading out.” Braydon saunters to the door, keen to be off. “I hate sitting ‘round on me arse when there’s good work to be doing. It’s the military life, I suppose; act, don’t react, they say. Stay on your toes and you’ll be ready for anyth-” he bumps into the nervous woman standing in the corner of the room. “Maker and the milkmaid! I’m sorry, me lady – truly!” he bows profusely, flushes red, and examines the woman for any harm done. “Andraste forgive me, I didn’t mean it. Please, let me introduce myself properly,” he coughs to clear his throat before continuing, “I am Ser Braydon Gillard, and may the Maker boil me bones in a sea of sulphur for that discourteous act. Please, accept my apologies and do this knight the honour of telling him your name.”

An unsubtly contrived means of starting conversation with the nervous woman in the corner!

Camelot
2012-05-31, 02:11 PM
The woman blushes just as much and replies, "Oh, it's no problem really...Um, my name is Lanarra. I-If you don't mind, I saw you speaking to Knight Commander Cornelius a few minutes ago...I've been trying to speak to him myself, but he's just so busy, and I don't want to bother him...Oh, but I'm probably just bothering you too...nevermind..."

dancrilis
2012-05-31, 03:54 PM
Kelsie would have liked to leave sooner but the papers were important, "nice to meet you Nehnlem, guess we will have to wait until we have the papers before we leave", looking at Braydon, "Very well I would have liked to leave tonight but tomorrow morning can do if you need time".

Noting the nervous woman that Braydon bumped into, her curiosity was peaked, nerves normally meant they were either afraid or desperate and both could be useful, but before she joined the conversation she became intrigued by the heavy sack and what it might contain likely nothing useful, but still she thought.

"Nehnlem as we need to wait for Braydon I am going to check if there is anything interesting and profitable I can find to keep myself occupied, you are welcome to tag along if you like", shrugging "or not", if there was trouble an acceptable target might be useful and it would give her a chance to see how the man operated.

Walking over to young man with the sack "Hey, that more supplies you found" she asked the lad in a friendly tone, "Cornelius has allowed us to ask for any that are not needed which could help us save the town", she smiled sweetly at the lad.

Not sure if I need to roll to make a good impression, but meh I like rolling dice.

Communication (Persuasion): [roll0]
Convince the lad to trust her.

Stunts:
6:
Flirt (Communication (Seduction): [roll1] - Make the lad infatuated with her so that she can get her way easily.
And Another Thing: Get him to give her the good (if she wants them)

5:
Flirt (Communication (Seduction): [roll2] - Make the lad infatuated with her so that she can get her way easily.
Bon Mot: Convince him that she is important to Cornelius and speaks with his authority.

4:
Flirt (Communication (Seduction): [roll3] - Make the lad infatuated with her so that she can get her way easily.

3:
Bon Mot: Convince him that she is important to Cornelius and speaks with his authority.

2:

1:

Camelot
2012-05-31, 04:51 PM
The man scowls, suddenly appearing ten years older. "You can't just have my stuff! I collected this all for myself, so I don't need to rely on templar handouts. If you want anything, you're going to have to trade fair. There are a few things I need..."

indytims
2012-06-01, 11:54 AM
Talon stood off to the side, watching the 'festivities' with an appraising eye.

My, how the mighty had fallen.

No, not the people of this village-town, but more specifically, himself. It wasn't long ago that he was pampered and living well, yet now he stood in a tiny village on the edge of nowhere, wondering if he'd have bread enough to eat in a few days.

Glancing around at the 'food rationing' taking place, he began to wonder.

He had already asked around town about the family relative he sought here, but had no luck. Several people vaguely remembered him, but not what happened to him. So, Talon had found himself at a dead-end, with supplies, coin, and patience running low.

More dangerous than a grumbling stomach, though, was being around a larger group of people who -also- had grumbling stomachs. Survival brought out the worst in people, he had learned the hard way, and he had no intent to be robbed or trampled over for a handful of beets or turnips.

A woman he hadn't met before rose and spoke to the group, trying to calm them with assurances of finding the late-arriving supplies, or if necessary, proceeding on to Redcliffe to procure them. A change of scenery... surely things could not be this bad in Redcliffe?

Those thoughts were dashed for a moment when another woman who was referred to as Perna, made grave statements about Redcliffe as well. But the first woman seemed undeterred. After a few moments when the two ceased their speeches, Talon made his way over towards Kelsie.

At a moment when he would not need to interrupt her speaking with anyone else, he gave the elf next to her a smile and a nod, then turned his eyes to her.

"Lady, I heard that you said you were bound for Redcliffe. It just so happens that I might be heading that way, myself. Safety in numbers in the dark days, then? Would you and your companion allow for another to accompany you on the road?"

(His voice was heavily accented - but not nearly as bad as it was when he first left Orlais. Back then, his accent was thick enough that sometimes it was even hard for him to be understood. He wears a friendly smile, and is careful in his wording, doing his best to act and speak as much like a local as he is able.)

Hack Writer
2012-06-01, 12:31 PM
The woman blushes just as much and replies, "Oh, it's no problem really...Um, my name is Lanarra. I-If you don't mind, I saw you speaking to Knight Commander Cornelius a few minutes ago...I've been trying to speak to him myself, but he's just so busy, and I don't want to bother him...Oh, but I'm probably just bothering you too...nevermind..."

Braydon dismisses the woman’s coy apology with a smile and a casual wave of his hand. “Tis no bother, me lady. Actually, when you think about it, it’s probably fate; me running into you like this. Now, if you don’t mind me prying – and say if you do, it ain’t my intention to upset a lady twice in one day – what exactly is the problem? I could speak to the Knight Commander on your behalf - ‘ave a word with ‘im for you. If you'd like.

Does this need a communication check, Camelot? I'll roll for it and let you decide:
[roll]1d6[roll]
[roll0]
[roll1]
+2 for Communication

Hack Writer
2012-06-01, 12:34 PM
Sorry! I fluffed the formatting for that last post's Communication roll and am adding the first dice roll in now! I'll delete this post after Camelot's looked through it and replied!
[roll0]

dancrilis
2012-06-01, 01:46 PM
Kelsie laughed lightly in a friendly manner, "Ha, I mistook you for a younger and dafter man, the kind that might give up hard won spoils to a virtual stranger for no reason other then being asked to", smiling lightly "I have learned that for a smile and a confident manner there are many who would, but clearly not you", she shrugged in apology.

"So what good do you have before we talk trade, I have no intention of swapping time for what is in a mystery bag, but less goods, so what do you have and what do you need and I would have the why of both", her expression getting serious, "after all if the trade is worth while to you I would need it to also be worthwhile to me".

She turned to the new man near her to allow him to speak, considering him carefully an Orlesian, perhaps an even better scapegoat then an elf if she needed one she assessed, "a pleasure to meet you, but this is not a simple trip to Redcliffe it is to search for a caravan and return with it, going to Redcliffe is only a last resort if we don't find it, the intention is profit both personally and for Lothering not travel", shrugging and flicking some her out of her face, "but you are welcome providing you can pull your weight".

Turning back to the man with the sack, "so do you think we have possible business".

Communication (Bargaining): [roll0]
Convince the man that he should treat her seriously and be realistic if he wants to trade.

Stunts:
6:
Jest: Indicating that an Orlesian needs to be told to pull his weight, to convince the man with the bag she has a true outlook of a true honest Fereldan.
And Another Thing: Convince the man to make dealing with him worth while.
Bon Mot: Convince him not to waste her time.

5:
Jest: Indicating that an Orlesian needs to be told to pull his weight, to convince the man with the bag she has a true outlook of a true honest Fereldan.

4:

3:
Jest: Indicating that an Orlesian needs to be told to pull his weight to convince the man with the bag she has a true outlook of a true honest Fereldan.

2:

1:

Camelot
2012-06-01, 04:37 PM
"It's my brother," Lanarra says. "He went into the hills to hunt, even though I told him it probably wasn't safe. That was three days ago, and he hasn't come back. I was going to ask Commander Cornelius if he could send someone to look for my brother...but there's probably not anyone to spare, anyway. And you're heading north, not south, so I wouldn't want to bother you with this..." She blushes, and then adds, "It's just that my brother has always been the one to take care of me, ever since our father died...Oh, sorry, never mind..."

~~~

"Hmph," the man says. "Real smooth, telling someone they looked daft." He looks Kelsie over for a second, then continues. "I'll trade, but only for specific things. I've got food here to last me a while, and I'll give you a week's worth if you collect me a sample of mosswood; it'll look like a tree with moss on it, but the wood itself is actually green. I also have a chain shirt that I don't need, and I'll trade it for a honey flower; they're found in the woods, white petals with a red center." He then lowers his voice a bit. "And, er...I also want a sample of the tainted water from the pond just to the east of Lothering. I'd get it myself, but I'm worried about what lives in that pond. I just want the water, and I'll give you two healing poultices for a jug of it. I'll even give you the jug myself."

Kelsie recognizes these three things the man wants as possibly being the ingredients for some sort of potion, but she doesn't know what kind of potion it would make.

indytims
2012-06-01, 06:07 PM
Talon gives Kelsie a shallow bow of his head, smiling charmingly at her.

"The lady is too kind. I am known as Talon, and I believe I shall 'pull my weight' as you say. Whether the expedition goes to Redcliffe, or simply down the road, you mentioned 'profit', and that is a term that is as well known in Orlais, as it is here."

He steps back a step as Kelsie goes back to discussing trade with the other stranger. Talon turns his gaze to the elf, having seen them speak earlier, and noticing his hanging near the woman, he figured it would not hurt to ask.

"Are you with the lady?" Talon asked the elf.

Strawberries
2012-06-02, 07:04 AM
Nehnlem considers the question warily before replying "We only just met. I offered to accompany her to Redcliffe, as well."

He scrutinizes Talon carefully - this is the first time he sees an Orlaisian,. And he just knows he shouldn't ask, not unless he wants to be subject to the same kind of questioning, but he must admit to a certain curiosity "What brings you here? Those aren't the best of times for Ferelden, if you are looking for profit."

indytims
2012-06-02, 07:09 AM
The Orlesian nods once, slowly, to the elf. "Indeed sir they are not. But are they the best of times anywhere? To be honest, I come to Lothering (he butchers the pronunciation of the village's name pretty badly, his accent is very noticeable) seeking a relative I have not seen in many years. Imagine my discouragement when I arrive and find that they have not been here for quite some time. And imagine further my discouragement to learn that my coin-purse is running low, with few options to fill it again. So I could not help but open my ears when I heard the kind lady mention 'profit'. I hope that does not make me sound too.... greedy," he says, giving the elf a friendly smile.

"I am Talon. And if you are to accompany the lady as well, by what name or title should I call you?"

Strawberries
2012-06-02, 08:01 AM
Sir? Nehnlem tenses up. From the tone it didn't seem so, but still, he can't be sure he isn't being mocked. At the end, he chalkes it up to poor knowledge of the language on the Orlesian part.

"Just Nehnlem" he answers, sharply "No...titles are necessary."

indytims
2012-06-02, 01:11 PM
Talon smiles a little wider, nothing but calm politeness oozing from his pores.

"Ah, I see. My apologies, then. Where I am from, titles are so very common - everyone seems to have one. So for most of my life I have grown up speaking titles as easily as... as easily as you breathe the air, or appreciate the view of a beautiful woman. It comes natural, but if that is not the way of things here, I shall attempt to be a good visitor, and curb their use," he says.

"I did not mean to make you uncomfortable. It is a pleasure to meet you, Nehnlem," he says, accidentally butchering the elf's name somewhat, but saying it in such a way that it was still recognizable.

dancrilis
2012-06-02, 06:09 PM
Kelsie considered the man's offer, honestly she didn't feel she needed a chain shirt and these with her seemed equipped well enough, healing would be an odd thing to refuse but she could take care of that personally at least for herself, leaving trail rations of which she had three weeks worth.

However the potion might be useful in itself to be worth trading all that for it, "Mosswood, a honey flower and tainted water. For a chain shirt, a weeks food and two healing poultices and a jug, she repeated the terms, "tell me what you will make from them, and show me how to make it upon delivery and I will consider it", her jovial and smiling nature having evaporated to pure business now as it did not seem to be working to put the man at ease.

Communication (Bargaining): [roll0]
Convince the man to agree to her terms.

Stunts:
No really applicable stunts this time.

Camelot
2012-06-03, 12:18 PM
The man looks like he's been caught stealing from the chantry's donation box. "What? Make from them? I don't know what you're..." He stops, seeing the look on Kelsie's face. "Oh, all right," he says quietly. "I'm...I'm working on a way to clean the water, but I have to use a bit of...magic. Shh!" He looks around nervously. "You can't tell anyone. The templars are so stupid that they'd probably arrest me even if they knew I was just trying to help people." He then returns to talking in his normal voice. "So that's what I'll give you if you help me out."

Hack Writer
2012-06-03, 02:36 PM
"It's my brother,"Lanarra says. "He went into the hills to hunt, even though I told him it probably wasn't safe. That was three days ago, and he hasn't come back. I was going to ask Commander Cornelius if he could send someone to look for my brother...but there's probably not anyone to spare, anyway. And you're heading north, not south, so I wouldn't want to bother you with this..." She blushes, and then adds, "It's just that my brother has always been the one to take care of me, ever since our father died...Oh, sorry, never mind..."

"There there now me lady, don't you fret. I'll have a word with the rest of the party, ask ‘em if we can take the time out to search for your brother. First, though, it'll help if you can tell me just how far south your brother usually hunts, and what the hills are like round those parts.”

Braydon concludes his conversation with the woman and asks her to wait while he discusses any potential rescue with the rest of his party. He approaches Kelsie and Nehnlem, deep in conversation with two of the refugees.

"How'd you fancy a short jaunt south? Nothing too far. The lass in the corner's gone and misplaced her brother, said he hasn't returned from a hunting trip." Braydon pauses and turns his attention to the newcomer. "Hang on. Who's this?"

Braydon's directly that last sentence to Talon, by the way.

indytims
2012-06-03, 02:44 PM
Talon listens silently as Braydon arrives and breaks-down the details of the missing man. Now -this- was getting interesting! Action, to him, was far better than simply standing around waiting for things to happen. He noted how Braydon addressed Kelsie - it was fairly obviously the lady was some sort of leader, whether elected or self-made, he was not sure.

"Greetings, sir, I am called Talon, late out of Orlais," he said to the man with a friendly smile and a slight nod of his head in greeting. "I've offered my services to the lady, and she's accepted on the condition that I can 'pull my own weight'. I believe I can meet her demands. I've also met the elf Nehnlem here, as well. And who might you be?" he asked, appraising the man closely.

His accent obviously gives away where he's from, and though it is thick, it is still understandable. Even butchering Nehnlem's name (unintentionally), it's still easy to tell who he was referring to.

Strawberries
2012-06-03, 04:43 PM
Nehnlem doesn't seem to react at the Orlaisian butchering his name: the man did apologize, he has been called worse in the past, and humans often have troubles pronouncing Elven names. Of course, it's not like many of them bother to try getting them right.

"South. It is out of our way, but still, if it's not too far..." He wants to get out of this place, and soon, before someone remembers how hungry, desperate and bitter they are and get a nice mob going again. Better to spend the waiting time as far away as possible from this powder keg. "We have to wait anyway, for the papers to be ready. Might as well employ our time this way. "

dancrilis
2012-06-03, 06:50 PM
Kelsie's eyes narrowed at the mention of magic, and she took a small step back, both for appearances and for the obviously stupidity in telling this to a complete stranger rather then making up a convenient lie. Her voice hesitate "Ok, I will see what I can do", stepping closer her voice low and dangerous "but if this is some evil trick, I will have words with you", keeping up appearances was a must, "I will take the jug now and if you have parchment with the rough location that would be beneficial, I would also have your name", she extended her hand to seal the deal.

She turned to the party, "Good you have all made yourselves acquainted", she indicated the man with the sack behind her with her thumb, "Ok, this gentleman has offered us some items to assist him in gathering some other items, mosswood, a honey flower and some water from a nearby lake to the east", sighing, "I know it is somewhat out of the way but we have till the Cornelius returns with the letters, and we have committed to nothing other then the attempt, if it gets troublesome we can abandon it with no breach of our word".

Looking at Braydon then to the woman, "I am assuming she has offered nothing of worth that she will part with, and that we can assume her brother likely has nothing either", folding her arms across her chest, "I am not a charity, nor" looking at Braydon pointedly at that "am I one to be taken in by a pretty face", she had no time for someone who would melt at a pretty face for no reason or reward, on the road they tended to get lonely and lonely men commonly forgot there manners and morals.

Considering for a few seconds she then ran her hand through her hair, "still he might be able to assist us with finding the goods for the paying client so we can take a look I suppose providing it is not troublesome".

Turning to see if the man had produced the jug and something resembling a map, and then looking around her, "are we in agreement on these two tasks then so".

Camelot
2012-06-03, 10:14 PM
The man with the sack introduces himself more formally as Serrick, and he draws out the location of the pond. It appears that the pond is to the southeast, the same direction as the Southron Hills. "If you're lucky, you'll find the other ingredients around there too," he adds, handing Kelsie the jar and the map.

You should be able to kill two birds with one stone (gathering Serrick's ingredients and finding Lanarra's brother) by heading down to the Southeast, and if nothing goes wrong you could make it back before sundown and be set to leave tomorrow morning. However, if you want to wait around for Cornelius to be done, you could be on the road by early afternoon. What would the group like to do?

Hack Writer
2012-06-04, 06:22 AM
"Greetings, sir, I am called Talon, late out of Orlais," he said to the man with a friendly smile and a slight nod of his head in greeting. "I've offered my services to the lady, and she's accepted on the condition that I can 'pull my own weight'. I believe I can meet her demands. I've also met the elf Nehnlem here, as well. And who might you be?" he asked, appraising the man closely.

Braydon reaches out a hand in greeting but stops, mid-motion. His eyes narrow to tiny creases in his face, and his smile wilts to a thin slit in his hard-set jaw. “Fetch me a dress and call me Andraste!” he exclaims in mock surprise, “an Orlesian looking to get ‘is nails dirty with some proper graft! Well, I might be Braydon Gillard – Ser Braydon, I’ll thank you very much. An’ what sort o’ name’s Talon? That ain’t the name your mum gave you, is it?”

The man with the sack introduces himself more formally as Serrick, and he draws out the location of the pond. It appears that the pond is to the southeast, the same direction as the Southron Hills. "If you're lucky, you'll find the other ingredients around there too," he adds, handing Kelsie the jar and the map.

"Depends how desperate things are here," Braydon says to the rest of his party. "If the situation's as bad as everyone's saying it is, it might be an idea to be off for Redcliffe right away."

indytims
2012-06-04, 12:30 PM
Talon blinked at Braydon's first words, wondering why the man would want to wear a dress and have anyone call him Andraste. As Braydon continued speaking, though, the Orlesian quickly understood that the man was mocking him, however lightly it might have been.

"Ser Braydon, a pleasure to meet you," he nodded, emphasizing 'Ser', while still maintaining a perfectly friendly smile on his lips and doing his best to rein-in his accent. "You guessed correctly, for it is not the name my mother gave me, but rather, my Father did. I believe the story goes, his favorite hunting hound was named Talon, who himself was named after father's favorite hunting falcon before that. My father was rather fond of hunting you see, and recycled the name. You should have seen it on a day to day basis - Father would call out 'Talon!', and he'd have a bird, a dog, and his young boy flapping or running to heed his call. Very confusing at times."

He spoke smoothly, his voice gentle and confident. He also smiled, perfectly at home with self-deprecation, and then listened to Braydon and the others speak with the sack-man. Talon was simply happy not to have been thrown out of the village yet, so he kept his chatter to a minimum, his hands away from his weapons, and as usual while in a foreign-land, he did his best not to insult the locals.

dancrilis
2012-06-05, 02:04 AM
"Well despite the time constrain I am in favour of checking for the goods, and the brother, first" she mentioned the brother as an afterthought, "It will allow us to see how each of us act in a less then safe environment, and pickup some good will in this town", shrugging, "that being said I think we should start on our way if we are doing that".

Strawberries
2012-06-05, 04:31 AM
Nehnlem smiles a little despite himself at Talon's self-deprecation: the man had a strange, but quite enjoyable sense of humor. He nods at Kelsie's words: "I agree with...Kelsie" he says, hesitating a little in order to remember the woman's name. "Checking south, moving towards Redcliffe in the morning". He gives a sharp look to Ser Braydon, and adds, in a low tone "It would be foolish to move without those papers, and from what I've seen, I'm not fond of staying in town longer than strictly necessary."

Hack Writer
2012-06-05, 06:40 AM
Braydon folds his arms across his chest and shrugs a little in acquiescence. "Sound enough," he says, before leaning in to Nehnlem, his voice a low, conspiratorial whisper. "All I'm saying is don't trust him - he's Orlesian. You can always tell when they're lying because their lips move."

Strawberries
2012-06-05, 07:03 AM
Nehnlem regards the knight in a not exactly friendly manner "Yes, I've heard something like that before" he answers, coldly "And most of the times, it was referred to me." And most of the times, in the last three years, it had been the correct assumption... but the broad and untinking generalization galls him. Odd, that - he thought he was past caring about those things, when not directed against himself personally.

indytims
2012-06-05, 10:10 AM
The cheerful Orlesian nods in agreement with Kelsie.

"Wise words, lady. The sooner we set to our task, the sooner we might return for reward, rest, and recovery," he said. "And the course you have suggested would seem to be the most efficient."

He nods again, and begins to quickly check through his gear. Everything he currently owned was on his back, every coin left to his name, so he rather enjoyed taking stock of all his gear and equipment, or as he might jokingly refer to, "his kingdom".

He slings his gear back over his shoulders as he hears Braydon's comments to the elf. Talon's initial impulse is of course to defend himself. But he reminded himself that he is in a foreign land - a foreign land that his people had occupied until recent years. Instead, he let the man have his barb and pretended as though he didn't hear it, simply glancing around the place, observing the other folks, until Kelsie gave the word to move out.

dancrilis
2012-06-05, 02:10 PM
Kelsie rolled her eyes at the childish display, he is a foreigner they are weird said one, well I am an elf, does that mean I am weird? said another, she sighed, she would mess travelling with Vengest.

"Good we are all agreed, making sure her stuff was secure she left the Chapel went up to Jess her mule and safely stored the Jub in the saddlebags, and move out, "this is Jess, a gift from a friend to me she can carry anything we find that might be worth taking" eyeing the party, "within reason".

Looking around the town once more to make sure no one else looked like they wanted anything from her and to make sure the others could keep up she began to move southeast baring interruption.

Making some conversation on the way, "Just so you know, my talents lie in speaking, planning, knowledge, gathering, healing etc, rather then straight out fighting", smiling at the party, "that is what ye are here for, can't do everything myself" pointing at the staff held over her shoulder, "if it comes to it thought I do know how to use this well enough".

Camelot
2012-06-05, 04:23 PM
The five (counting Jess) head out to the Southron Hills. The terrain is rough and rocky, so travel is slow, especially with Jess. The tall grass, taller trees, and many hills make it hard to see very far, but with the help of the map, you arrive at the pond after a couple of hours.

They weren't joking when they called the water "tainted." They sky was cloudy, but the water looked violet in some parts and downright black in others. The trees near the pond were gray and withering, but some reeds near the bank looked like they had recently grown. You could see to the other side of the still pond, but there is no wildlife besides plants to be seen.

Kelsie spots a honey flower growing on a fallen log to the right. Nehnlem notices footprints in the mud to the left.

dancrilis
2012-06-06, 01:57 PM
"Well this water looks as tainted as any", she fetched the jug, "here" and handed it out to the nearest person, "I see a honey flower over yonder, if you can collect the water".

As she walked she kept an eye out, then remembered the warning, "be wary the client indicated that there were things living in the water".

indytims
2012-06-06, 03:50 PM
Talon accepted the jug with a few blinks of his eyes, assuming the woman picked him specifically for this job, and then slowly approached the tainted, nasty-looking water as if it were going to leap up and grab him. He slowly brushed his free hand on his breeches, as if he had gotten some of the unnatural looking water on himself already.

"Well, I knew this was going to be dangerous before I agreed to come..." he half-mumbled to himself as he leaned down, and extending his arm outward slowly and carefully, held the jug by it's small circular handle near the spout and dipped it into the brackish pond. He did this with such skill, making every attempt to not get a SINGLE drop of the vile liquid on his clean gloves.

He turned his head a bit, wincing, squinting. "Oh, that is foul. I mean, that is VERY foul," he said and then muttered what were likely curses in his native tongue. He then pushed the jug down far enough so that water could slowly start to seep into the receptacle.

Once filled (assuming no interruptions), he stoppered it quickly with the accompanying piece of cork, and covered his nose with the sleeve of his leather armor, then returned the jug to the pack animal that Kelsie had brought along with them.

Strawberries
2012-06-06, 04:15 PM
Nehnlem keeps a couple of steps behind Talon, an hand on his weapons in case the man needs assistance. "It looks like someone was here recently, too" he says, pointing. "Footsteps in the mud, see?"

Camelot
2012-06-06, 04:45 PM
As Nehnlem is pointing out the footprints, he is interrupted by a noise. The surface of the pond did not go back to being still after Talon dipped the jug into it; in fact, the surface is becoming more disrupted, and accompanied by a gurgling sound. Suddenly, a slimy green tentacle lashes out of the pond and wraps around Talon's leg! The water parts and a frog-like creature the size of a bear emerges. It has four stubby legs, two rows of sharp teeth, bulging eyes, and the green tentacle seems to be its tongue.

Kelsie hears the noise and turns around to see. She is 20 yards away from the beast, as she was heading towards the flower. Everyone else is within spitting distance...or biting distance.

Initiative
17 - Kelsie
17 - Nehnlem
14 - Blight Frog
12 - Braydon
10 - Talon

Enemy Stats
Blight Frog - 12 Defense, 0 Armor Rating, 60 Health

So, first combat! As previous rolls have been, the last number is the Dragon Die. I've already rolled initiative for you, but you don't have to wait for your turn to come up before you post your actions. Post whenever you get the chance. If something happens before your turn that would make your action impossible or plain stupid (these will be determined by me), you can delete it and post your new action.

As you can see, I've posted the stats of the enemy. When you make an attack, you can edit your post after you see your result to describe what happens without having to wait for me to tell you if it hits or not. As long as you don't edit the die roll, we should still be able to see it.

Although this shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem as it is with D&D 4e, if you have an ability that you can use as a reaction when it is not your turn, specify in your first post what the circumstances are under which you would use it. If those circumstances change, specify such in your next post.

Hack Writer
2012-06-06, 05:02 PM
Like worshippers hunkered in twisted obeisance before some profane object of adoration, the withered trees skirting the pond’s edge gather up en-masse, their dessicated limbs gliding over the poisonous water, sending ripples over the violet surface. The few plants that dwell here look…odd, to Braydon’s eyes untrained eyes at least; leaves were too thick, too livid; certain clusters of petals suggested open wounds and oozing sores. They didn’t appear natural.

The Blight did this, he supposes; it…changes things - turns ‘em inside out and back to front. Men become beasts – or worse than beasts; animals take on a perverse caricature of humanity in its basest, most primal aspect.

A bleak wind blows, bringing with it the scent of damp earth and warm death. Braydon sniffs, checks his weapons, and keeps an eye on the shadow-haunted thickets.

He turned his head a bit, wincing, squinting. "Oh, that is foul. I mean, that is VERY foul,"

"Coming from an Orlesian? I’d call that high praise,” Braydon snorts derisively, still not entirely impressed by Talon’s overly agreeable personality.

Nehnlem keeps a couple of steps behind Talon, an hand on his weapons in case the man needs assistance. "It looks like someone was here recently, too" he says, pointing. "Footsteps in the mud, see?"

“Sharp ears and sharper eyes, Nehnlem; I’d say that’s probably as good a path to follow as any.” Braydon dras his sword and unslings his shield, before testing the trail’s footing. “Shall we?”

Braydon's still being distrustful towards Talon; but don't worry, Indytims, it's all an act , and he doesn't really mean it!

Also, If the party wants, Braydon can serve as Tanker and move ahead, once the ready-set-go's be issued.

EDIT: Ah bugg- Ninja'd by Camelot! Oh well, consider the above post to come before the ambush!

Strawberries
2012-06-06, 05:17 PM
OOC: please bear with me for any mistake, this is my first combat ever in this system...

Nehnlem utters a very foul word as he quickly readies his bow and nocks an arrow. He has seen creatures deformed by the Blight before... but always from afar, and never so big. He aims for the creature's head, trying his best to be quick but accurate, and shots.

The arrow hits the creature in the side, spilling blood that looks and smells as foul as the abomination itself. The...frog turns his head to look at the elf and...hisses. Nehnlem is pretty sure he never heard a frog hiss. Of course, most frogs aren't the size of a small bear, either.

Now you've done it, you idiot... why did you have to go and make it mad? Nehnlem takes a quick step back, nocking another arrow and firing, but he is nervous, and his hands aren't firm as they should. The arrow passes at a couple of centimeters from the creature, without harming it further.

Weeell... I suppose I should roll, to attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
(+3 for dex)

and, if it hits,

for damage [roll3]

dancrilis
2012-06-07, 04:02 PM
Hey Strawberries you may want to stunt you got 4 points for it.

Kelsie turned at the sound of combat, she was to far away to be sure of engage without notifying the others to her powers, but she would not be surprised of this frog was only one of many.

She made her way back to retrieve Jess to avoid her becoming prey, "Try to get it to come out of the water", she shouted "I would suspect there are more of them lurking below the surface". Grabbing Jess's reins when she could she led the animal away from danger.

Camelot
2012-06-08, 10:49 AM
When the arrow hits, the ugly beast rears its head and charges towards Nehnlem. It lunges forward with its mouth, much faster than anyone could have anticipated. It bites down on Nehnlem's leg, sending searing pain shooting up his body.

Nehnlem takes 10 (7 after Armor) damage from the bite, putting his HP at 20.

Also from now on, to keep combat moving faster, if your turn is available but you don't post for 48 hours, I will assume you follow your allies. If they're attacking, you'll make a basic attack. If they're fleeing, you'll run with them. This will prevent us from waiting for one person in case they can't get to their computer.

Strawberries
2012-06-08, 12:41 PM
OOC

Hey Strawberries you may want to stunt you got 4 points for it.

Stunts! You're absolutely right... I just forgot I could do it. :smallredface:
Next time, I guess.

Hack Writer
2012-06-08, 12:53 PM
Braydon was slower on his feet than the elf and the girl, though no less direct when the moment came to act. He fought like he was trained to do – with direct, unsubtle violence. Aim for your enemy's soft bits and batter them until he stops moving - then hit 'em again, that’s what Hrothgur always said.

The spongy poisoned loam beneath his feet gave way easily to the knight’s heavy tread as he lunged for the twisted amphibian horror, a curse on his lips. “Back to the muck, ye Blight-riddled monster!”

Braydon’s making a charge action to gain +1 to his to-hit dice roll:
/1d6
/1d6
/1d6
+2 for strength, +1 for charging

Bastard Sword:
[roll0]
+2 for strength, +1 from the sword itself

Hack Writer
2012-06-08, 12:57 PM
See the formatting for my attack dice rolls? Good, innit? I'm a numpty; I'll roll again:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

@Strawberries: Camelot would probably allow you to retroactively use them; he said you can edit in the cinematic stuff to your post after making the dice rolls.

Strawberries
2012-06-08, 01:06 PM
OOC

@Strawberries: Camelot would probably allow you to retroactively use them; he said you can edit in the cinematic stuff to your post after making the dice rolls.

I'll wait for Camelot to adjudicate on the matter, but if he says yes, I'd like to use Rapid reload for 1sp and Lightning attack for 3 sp, in order to shot another arrow at the thing...

Camelot
2012-06-08, 03:27 PM

I'll wait for Camelot to adjudicate on the matter, but if he says yes, I'd like to use Rapid reload for 1sp and Lightning attack for 3 sp, in order to shot another arrow at the thing...

I certainly will allow it! I'll make the attack for you to save time, feel free to narrate it however you want:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Also, as you can see, it works to roll the 3d6 together in one roll instead of separating it into 3 different d6 rolls, but you can each continue doing whatever works best for you.

EDIT: Never mind, I was wrong. I thought I remembered seeing it before...so yeah, keep rolling it as 3 different d6s. :smallbiggrin: Sorry, Strawberries. The attack missed anyway, so the Dragon Die doesn't matter.

Strawberries
2012-06-08, 03:48 PM
OOC: I see Camelot's post, but I can't see the rolls...:smallfrown:
I hope this post gets his message to show, then I'll go back and edit my previous post with the description of the actions...

Edit: also, rolling the dice together we don't get to see the single values and can't determine stunt points. In this case the point is moot, but it becomes important for standard rolls.

EDIT2: description edited.

indytims
2012-06-09, 02:46 PM
Talon heard Braydon's intended insult and was about to respond when the stagnant, dessicated pool before him erupted into motion. With a faint cry of terror reminiscent of a young girl being surprised by a mouse in her backpack, Talon falls backward when the creature emerges from the water in a most horrific way, it's tentacled tongue wrapped around his ankle.

"Aieeeeee!!" he cried out in surprise, dropping the jug he had used to retrieve the water, falling on his back as the tentacle wrapped around his leg.

Within a heartbeat, he heard the twang of a bowstring, and could hear Braydon's guttural curse as he charged towards the creature. He also heard Kelsie's directions, as well, but was a little preoccupied at the moment.

Talon recomposes himself, drawing his short sword when he can, his free hand grabbing anything, any hand-hold he can reach in an effort not to be pulled towards the creature's waiting maw, or the stagnant water in which it stood.

OOC: Initial plans

Round 1 : I assume with being surprised, dropping the jug, having a tentacle-thing around my leg, the best I can hope for this round is to draw my weapon! Yikes!

Round 2 : Assuming creature is still alive, Talon will do his best to attack the tentacle wrapped around his leg, striking a foot or so away from his own body, without risking hitting anyone else in the party if he can. If the tentacle has released by now, he will move in to attack normally, supporting his comrades. If the creature is dead, please disregard. :)

dancrilis
2012-06-10, 10:21 AM
Leading Jess away from the toad, Kelsie kept her eyes out for other threats. Her three companions seemed to have the toad in hand, and so she didn't feel she needed to intervene.

She proceeded cautiously back towards the honey flower, but staying close enough to affect the combat if she needed to with her magic.

She considered what she know about blight infected beasts.

Cunning (Natural Lore):[roll0].
Consider any relevant pieces of information she has on the creature.

Camelot
2012-06-10, 02:24 PM
Kelsie has heard that darkspawn blood spreads a disease that usually kills creatures, but sometimes animals survive. These animals become known as ghouls, violent versions of their former selves. Sometimes ghouls are even physically transformed. However, they are known to only get stronger, not gain any special weakness that their former self didn't have. Due to their inherently violent nature, the only tried and true way of avoiding getting killed by ghouls is killing them first.

Camelot
2012-06-11, 11:03 AM
Nehnlem fires another arrow at the beast, but its attention has been diverted to Braydon. It lunges towards him and scratches its teeth across his chest.
Nehnlem's Attack
Attack: [roll0]+[roll1]+[roll2]+3
Damage: [roll3], leaving the beast with 36 Health

Braydon takes 12 damage (8 after Armor), leaving him with 31 Health.

Strawberries
2012-06-11, 11:15 AM
OOC
Ops, sorry! I had not realized it was my turn. :smallredface: Thanks for having taken my action, Camelot!

Hack Writer
2012-06-11, 11:55 AM
A stream of invectives pour from the knight’s mouth, ignited by a flash of pain from the point in his chest where the Blight Toad’s razor-lined maw sheered his armour. He staggers back a pace on the oily mud of the lake bank, steadying himself with a reflex tightening of his leg muscles. He sneers, spits on the ground, and slashes back at the twisted amphibian monster. “Just die, damn it!”

Braydon’s making another standard attack against the Blight Toad:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+2 for strength

Bastard Sword:
[roll3]
+2 for strength

indytims
2012-06-13, 02:02 PM
Talon eventually recovered, quickly sliding his shortsword from his scabbard and doing his best to wield it without lopping his own leg off. He aimed at the creature's ropey tendril-like tongue, a good foot past his leg, and then attempted a swing, doing his best to free himself.

When I am able, I will make a standard attack against the Blight Toad's tongue that has a grip on my leg. Feel free to apply whatever penalties you feel necessary, Camelot!:
1d6
1d6
1d6

And if he hits-
Short Sword:
1d6+2

dancrilis
2012-06-13, 04:20 PM
Considering her options, the toad seemed to be well under control as such could she turn this either to a long term advantage, or should she be worried about what the man wanted tainted water for, sure it could be purification, but it could also be about studying of poisoning, he was daft enough to trust her, but was she being dafter trusting that that was not merely a ruse.

It in some ways didn't matter, once they had the ingredients she would be better able to consider her options.

She moved off to carefully to collect the flower, noting any taint in its are before touching it.

Camelot
2012-06-14, 09:07 PM
The frog's tongue has unwrapped from Talon's leg and it continues to try to bite Braydon, but the warrior's successful attack makes it lunge in the wrong direction.

Kelsie notices that even though the land directly around the flower is tainted, the flower itself seems perfectly healthy.

Strawberries
2012-06-15, 06:10 AM
That wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I wanted to get out of the city... Still, between a potential mob out for foreigner's blood and a blight-tainted abomination, he'll take the second every day. At least, that's something he has some chance against.

"Bloody useful, you're being!" he shouts to Kelsie, shooting another arrow at the creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+3 dex

If hits [roll3] (damage)

Camelot
2012-06-16, 11:18 AM
When the frog skids past Braydon, Talon distracts it with an attack so that Braydon can get a direct hit on the weary beast's stomach, skewering and killing it. The group reassembles and the lake once again becomes silent and stagnant.

dancrilis
2012-06-16, 07:00 PM
Noting that the frog was dead Kelsie looked at her companions, "Good job, there may be more of then, I suggest you gather the water quickly" and moved away back to the flower "this flower seems to be free of taint which helps support the clients story", she carefully harvested the flower.

"Now we only need mosswood", considering for a second "it is a green wood that looks like it has moss growing on it, please keep your eyes out, and if you see any other honey flowers please let me know" she added, "and if we are very lucky we can also find that brother we were looking for".

She stored the flower in the saddlebags carefully to not damage it.

I am assuming there is no issue harvesting the flower.

Hack Writer
2012-06-17, 11:23 AM
Panting heavily, Braydon slides his sword from the dying monster’s stomach, before giving it an unceremonious kick, sending its bleeding corpse into the shallows of the stagnant lake. He wipes his blade on some nearby bull rushes and smears some of the oily lifeblood of the bested Blight Toad off his armour, before turning to his companions. “Well that’s one less monster in the world.”

Noting that the frog was dead Kelsie looked at her companions, "Good job, there may be more of then, I suggest you gather the water quickly" and moved away back to the flower "this flower seems to be free of taint which helps support the clients story", she carefully harvested the flower.

“Can’t see anything good comin’ from poking about with the Blight,” Braydon says, watching as Kelsie busies herself with collecting specimens of the curiously unsullied water blossom. “All the Blight leads to is this-” he thumbs in the direction of the dead monster, “- death and misery and abominations. Oh well; a duty’s a duty, I ‘spose.”

Braydon will keep his sword and shield at the ready in case of further trouble.

Strawberries
2012-06-18, 08:06 AM
The danger over at the moment, Nehnelm suddenly realizes that he has been bitten, and is in fact bleeding quite profusely. Swearing softly to himself, he bends down to examinate the damage. Not too bad, luckily, he should be just fine in a while "Mosswood. Shouldn't be too difficult, being in a forest and all. And there still are those tracks I mentioned. Might be the lost brother, might be something else entirely".

Camelot
2012-06-18, 09:46 AM
If the group follows the tracks after collecting the water and flower, you find that they lead into a clump of trees at the base of a hill. The trees, like everything else, are dead and rotten, yet they still manage to block out the view of what is inside. The footprints lead directly into these woods.

Something in the distance to the east, outside of the woods, catches Talon's eyes. It looks like the remains of a wooden wagon, though there is no road nearby.

indytims
2012-06-18, 03:02 PM
Freed from the fetid tongue of the beast, Talon skitters to his feet, regains his balance, and lunges forward, intent to assist the others against the creature as best as he can.

He seems to make his attempt TOO good, as the beast turned its head towards Talon and lunged forward past Braydon. Perhaps the creature simply preferred Orlesian for dinner?

Talon's eyes widen as he back-pedals, but this also allows Braydon and unfettered attack at the beast, and the big warrior takes advantage of it, running the creature through with gusto, shouting, "Just die, damn it!" as he does.

And thankfully, the creature cooperates, its body shuddering and going still, as the water in the pool behind it smooths and goes still once more.

"Well," Talon said, sheathing is perfectly clean blade, "That tactic worked perfectly, did it not? I draw its attention, whilst the two of you make short work of it. Excellent. Let's just hope we don't have to do that again."

Hearing Kelsie's words, Talon returns to the jug he had gently tossed aside when he fell to the ground, retrieved it, and moved to put the jug onto the pack-animal's back. He listened to the others chat for a moment as he secured the container in place.

Soon, they were moving again, following some tracks to a clump of trees at the base of a hill. Talon's eyes caught sight of something, turning his head - a large, shadowy shape off in the distance.

"Comrades," he said softly in his thick accented voice. "Over there, to the east... do you see it? It appears to be a wagon, yet, I do not see a road..."

dancrilis
2012-06-20, 01:44 PM
Kelsie was satisfied, she had expected them to question her on her non-participation in the fight but apparently they were logical enough.

Walking beside Jess and making sure the mule was, "A wagon might have goods on it, but I don't want to take Jess cross country in case of attack, or hidden pitfalls", considering "If two of us stay with Jess and two investigate it might be worth something if they have left over goods".

Shrugging, "or we can ignore it and see about it on the way back if we feel the need".

Strawberries
2012-06-20, 02:02 PM
OOC:

Psst... Dancrilis?

"Bloody useful, you're being!" he shouts to Kelsie, shooting another arrow at the creature.

Nehnlem did question you, sort of. :smalltongue:

Nehnlem launches Kelsie a sullen look, before replying "It can be something worth looking into. I can cover you from afar with arrows, if it's needed."

OOC Also, Perception [roll0][roll1][roll2] to see if he sees/hears something else interesting.

indytims
2012-06-20, 03:20 PM
Talon listened to Kelsie's thoughts, and then heard Nehnlem voice his support with his bow.

"Well, I just find it strange, being a wagon, with no visible road. How did it get there? And, what if there are people there, and what if they are hurt? And what if one of those people is a beautiful lady in dire need of our assistance?" he asked with a flourish.

He then turned to Braydon, knowing the man would likely choose to do the opposite of whatever Talon suggested.

"What say you, brave and noble warrior? We seemed to work well as a team - me, playing the role of chew-toy and dinner, while you do the... chopping and hacking bit. Shall we venture over to that wagon and see what we see, Nehnlem's bow covering our backs, and perhaps solve a mystery, hmm? As long as you understand, of course, that I call dibs on any beautiful ladies we might find?" he smiled at the big man.

dancrilis
2012-06-21, 06:01 AM
OOC:
Psst... Dancrilis?
Nehnlem did question you, sort of. :smalltongue:

I saw that, but I though you might bring it up after the toad was dead, Kelsie is happy enough that it seems to have been dropped.

Kelsie gauged the two plans, Nehnlem's seemed to be to have her go and him to cover her, where Talon's seemed to be to have Braydon and himself go, neither was great, but a close range fighter in each group may suit.

Smiling brightly at the group, "Well it might have stuff worth acquiring so I will check it out, Talon or Braydon if one if you would come with me while the other guards Jess with Nehnlem who can also cover us if needed", with that she set up to the wagon staff at the ready and on the lookout for traps.

Perception:[roll0]
For spotting/hearing danger.

For my own reference when the Recruiting Trend gets wiped.

Kelsie's Backstory:

Kelsie was a late bloomer in terms of being a mage, her magic not appearing until until her early teens, on a visit to her grandfathers house he came under threat from brigands and she killed some of them merely by hating them enough focusing her will and making them sick, this may have gone unnoticed except that some of them started to explode taking out the rest of them.

Her grandfather was good law abiding man and did the decent thing of informing the chantry, and while obviously afraid of her he did explain that killing the man was not bad, and that she was not a bad person merely different, her parents agreed when they were told ... the templar's did not.

To them she was a dangerous potential demon who had killed half a dozen armed men, and they took the duty of guarding her seriously keeping her under constant watch and locking her away at night, and verbally abusing her about her wicked nature at every opportunity.

But for all there watchfulness they underestimated her resolve, tolerating the abuse as she had no other choice but death she waited for a chance taking in every word of her wicked nature ... and when an opportunity emerged she took full advantage - as the Templar's began to negotiate with a tavern owner for board trying to make the stubborn man that they needed somewhere safe and secure to store the horror with the and that the crowded room they were in was not ideal - she struck unleashing the powers she had used on the brigands she concentrated her power of the frailest people present and as they started to experience the final affects of the spell the room erupted in chaos and in the panic she escaped in the stampeding crowd.

Jumping into a cart with a canopy she hid for hours until the cart started moving, then hid until hunger overwhelmed her and she was forced to leave hiding to see who she was with, finding a merchant dwarf making his evening dinner she thought about fleeing, or even attacking but she felt drained after the day she approached nervously.

The dwarf looked at her curiously and began to speak with her shrewd man he quickly got her story out of her, her family the templars treatment of her, her attack, everything, never seeming shocked or angry. He considered his options and eventually introduced himself as Vengest and offered her work, she could tend to his mule and help him sell his wares and help him defend against brigands in exchange he would keep her secret and vouch for her, they concocted a story of him knowing her family and when they met misfortune he was honour bound to take her in.

This relationship lasted for a few years, giving her time to learn some of the business, ensure self control, gain some combat training and practice some useful spells.

Eventually they parted on good terms years later when she had grown into an attractive and shrewd young woman. he wanted to settle down and setup a shop in a rebuilding community but she considered this to dangerous for her long term and she also wanted to find a way to revive those she had callously hurt those years ago in her escape attempt.

As a parting gift he gave her his mule which she cared for over the years, and advised her not to live life alone, and that she could use some good friends roughly her own age.

Character Stats:

Communication:3
Constitution:0
Cunning:3
Dexterity:3
Magic:3 (+1 for background)
Perception:1
Strength:0
Willpower:4 (+1 for Apostate)

Wealth: 26 Silver
Health: 23

Focuses:
Dexterity (Riding).
Willpower (Self-Discipline)

Language:
Trade-Tongue
Dwarven

Primary Abilities
Cunning, Magic, and Willpower.

Secondary Abilities
Communication, Constitution, Dexterity, Perception, and Strength.

Weapon Groups
Brawling and Staves.

Arcane Lance
Magic Training
Mana Points: 14
Talent: Linguistics

Defence:13
Speed: 13

Goals:
Constant Short Term Goal: Avoid Templar detection.
Mid Term Goal:Make some good friends she can be herself around and feel safe with.
Long Term Goal: Find a way to return the dead to life.

Spells:
Rock Armour
Walking Bomb
Heal

Equipment:
Backpack
Traveler's Garb
A waterskin
Quarterstaff and a wand.
Mule
Saddlebags
20 days feed
3 weeks trial rations

*should have rolled this above

I am unsure of those spells have an obvious element that would give them away, in the video game they did but the book does not indicate that they would. Baring the end result of walking bomb of course, and actually seeing wounds heal, rocks bouncing off skin etc.[/QUOTE]

Hack Writer
2012-06-21, 12:17 PM
Braydon sniffs the cold air like a Mabari scenting prey, his face wrinkling in disapproval. The whole wood smelt of damp and death to him, of unnatural things given life by the dark whimsy of Blight-spawned magic.

"What say you, brave and noble warrior? We seemed to work well as a team - me, playing the role of chew-toy and dinner, while you do the... chopping and hacking bit. Shall we venture over to that wagon and see what we see, Nehnlem's bow covering our backs, and perhaps solve a mystery, hmm? As long as you understand, of course, that I call dibs on any beautiful ladies we might find?" he smiled at the big man.

“You’ve got yourself a point there, Orlesian,” he says with far less courteous a refrain. “You as the bait, me as the trap - a good plan. Besides, I hear Darkspawn like to gnaw on Orlesian flesh best of all. It's all that vinegary wine ya drink, apparently. Makes your skin soft. Makes your bones chewy.” He readies his sword and prepares to move to the wagons ahead of the party. “Just don’t bet your breeches on finding any of those pretty ladies alive,” he says grimly.

Sure, Braydon will go with Talon to the wagons if everyone's agreed. He doesn't mind what role he plays.

indytims
2012-06-21, 02:23 PM
Talon sniffs and then smiles faintly at Braydon's words. "Actually, Darkspawn prefer us Orlesians because we're as sweet as honey, naturally. Of course, I've never bothered to -ask- one, you see, to verify either claim."

He nods at the big man's agreement, then Kelsie proposes a different idea - she and Braydon heading to the wreck, while Talon and Nehnlem cover from a distance. Talon nods his head in deference to the lady, and gives Braydon a playfully sad glance.

"It seems like you'll have new 'bait' accompanying you this time, sir," he said, and then moved over to stand near Nehnlem, removed his short bow from around his shoulders and back, and strung it in preparation.

Camelot
2012-06-21, 09:46 PM
Braydon and Kelsie cautiously approach the wagon, but thankfully there are no darkspawn lurking around to jump them. What they find is, however, is far from pleasant. There is indeed a beautiful lady...lying dead in a pool of her blood from a dagger in her neck. A horse is also dead, though Braydon nor Kelsie can see any wounds on it.

Kelsie notices that the dagger is definitely not darkspawn-made, though it isn't any good quality either.

Looking around, Braydon sees few footprints. There were no armies come this way. Two sets head off into the woods, same as the footprints from before, but from this new direction.

dancrilis
2012-06-22, 11:52 AM
Kelsie examined the woman for anything confirming how she was, and if there had been a struggle before her death.
The review complete she began to loot corpse of valuables "no sense in letting anything go to waste" she stated to Braydon, taking not only any armour the woman might have but also any items of clothing, jewellery etc, that would be worth more then a silver at market, she pocketed the knife also.

Once the distasteful task was done she moved onto the horse to examine it closer for evidence of any kind of cause of death, poison, magic or the like, before beginning to take any goods on it, such as a saddle, riding harness, and on consideration the horseshoes, finally starting to examine the wagon for goods worth taking.

"Unless you have found something can you help me with getting some of this back to Jess?" she queried.

Camelot
2012-06-22, 01:02 PM
Kelsie could see that the woman put up quite a struggle; her hands were bruised as if she were trying to defend herself by throwing some punches. When she searches for valuables, she finds nothing besides a note in the woman's pocket. The note reads:

Dear Falinda,

I know you wanted to help with the work in Lothering, but some illness has befallen your father, and he greatly wishes to see you again before he passes. The priests have no idea what is afflicting him, so there seems to be little hope. If you could make your way back to Denerim as quickly as possible, you would make your father and myself quite happy.

Your loving brother,

Reginald
It seems that the cart has been robbed of anything worth taking, even the horse's horseshoes, though the saddle remains. The horse appears to have died merely of starvation, though the pain of its shoes being removed might have contributed to at least making it's death unpleasant.

Hack Writer
2012-06-22, 01:39 PM
@dancrilis: Just role-playing out Braydon's attitude to Kelsie's actions; your's was a sensible move to loot the corpse, but Braydon's just a bit proper about that sort of thing

The review complete she began to loot corpse of valuables "no sense in letting anything go to waste" she stated to Braydon, taking not only any armour the woman might have but also any items of clothing, jewellery etc, that would be worth more then a silver at market, she pocketed the knife also.

Braydon doesn’t try to conceal his disgust. Looting the corpses of slain enemies was a fine idea – it was a reward for travails overcome and dangers met, fought and bested; but this…this was a young woman, with a family, who cared for her – presumably - and who deserved a touch more respect than a cut purse's rough fleecing.

“Girl, for Andraste’s sake, show the lass some respect an’ leave her be. Look - ” he stalks over to the mouldering corpse of the starved horse “ - see what those robbers did to this nag? They tore its shoes – clean off! You want to be like them, a grave robber and a corpse looter? Give the lass the dignity those animals never thought to spare her.”

He considers the trails and feels his ire rising. Blood demanded blood – it was the way of the world. Someone needed to pay for striking down the girl and ransacking the wagon…

"I say we hunt the bastards that did this."

dancrilis
2012-06-24, 11:50 AM
Hack Writer, and it creates a nice party dynamic.

"Hmm ... well she has family in Denerim anyway", folding her arms across her chest "which we wouldn't know if I had not thought to look for goods", she fixed Braydon with a steady look.
"Her valuables do her no good, the horses shoes do it none either, though it is a cruel way to go. People are hungry and desperate and I would not judge them too harshly for it without the full facts. We don't know what happened here, who started it, why was a useful knife left, was she travelling alone, and most importantly if it is worth our time getting the goods into our hands", shrugging "help me get the saddle to Jess, it might be worth a bit, we can discuss with the others as to if they think it would by a worthwhile exercise following up or if we should just get the mosswood and return".

Kelsie folded up the note carefully and put it away, and moved to attempt to unfasten the saddle.

Strawberries
2012-06-28, 05:37 AM
Nehnlem stands near the base of the hill. At first he keeps his bow trained on the wagon, then lowers it when it seems that there is no danger "Is everything all right?" he calls out

OOC: Just in case you were wondering why I wasn't posting, I was waiting for you guys to come back.

Camelot
2012-06-28, 07:21 AM
I'm wondering if the group is planning on going into the woods, cause although there has been talk of it, I haven't seen a definite "we go into the woods" post. I don't want to assume and have you go somewhere before you have decided what to do, so when you make a decision post clearly what you are doing.

Strawberries
2012-06-28, 08:19 AM
I suppose it should be discussed between the party members when Kelsie and Braydon get back? Also, another question: do the traces we were following before lead towards the wagon or away from it?

Strawberries
2012-06-28, 08:20 AM
I suppose it should be discussed between the party members when Kelsie and Braydon get back? Also, another question: do the traces we were following before lead towards the wagon or away from it?

Hack Writer
2012-06-29, 12:16 PM
Try as I might, Camelot's post isn't showing up; I can see that he's posted because I have this thread on my subscribe list, but the last post is Strawberries'....Help!:smalleek:

Camelot
2012-06-30, 11:11 AM
Yeah, the whole site was down yesterday for me. Anyway, let's recap:

The wagon was spotted only 60 or so yards away from where you were before, and there are no enemies nearby, so it would be easy to go back to the other two and talk things over, then go back to the wagon if it is decided to follow up this discovery. The footprints leading from the wagon and the footprints that you were following from the lake lead into the same woods, but if you want there are also probably tracks that the wagon itself made from wherever it came from.

dancrilis
2012-07-01, 05:12 AM
Kelsie made her way back to the other two, "Well it looks like bandits sortof, killed a girl took the stuff and moved into the woods", shrugging "we have a note from her family and might get a reward at some point if we deliver it to her family in Denerim, other then that it might be worth tracking the bandits to appropriate their belongings for our use ... and hmm, justice. Or ignore it and just look for the mosswood."

Strawberries
2012-07-01, 04:41 PM
Nehnlem crosses his arms across his chest, looking towards the forest. He doesn't care about some murdered girl, he thinks, firmly, partly in an attempt to convince himself. However, the news leave a bad taste in his mouth. He may be a criminal and a thief, but he never killed anyone during a job.

He shrugs "The tracks we were following go into the woods as well" he offers "Plus, it seems like a good place to go get mosswood. I suggest we go that way."

indytims
2012-07-02, 04:14 PM
Talon waited patiently for the two to get back with a short report of what they saw.

"Such a girl should not be left out like that to rot or be fed upon by vermin," he said gently. "Perhaps I might be allowed an hour to commit her to the ground? It does not seem right to simply... leave her like that," he said, glancing in the direction of the overturned wagon. He muttered a few words softly, barely heard, spoken in his native tongue.

"Otherwise, I agree with Nehnlem. Following the trail might lead us to them - and to the mosswood, if we remain aware and keep our eyes open," he offered, still glancing over towards the wrecked cart.

Camelot
2012-07-03, 08:39 AM
The woods are darker than it appeared from the outside. It seems that some of the plant life within has escaped the blight. The footprints that led from the pond grow farther apart, as if their maker was running. Soon you find a carcass of a deer with an arrow sticking out of it. Perhaps life is returning in the wake of the blight after all.

You notice that two more sets of footprints join the first. It must be the two from the wagon. The three sets get mixed in this spot, but two lead off deeper into the woods. The third set vanishes, and you can't see a body nearby anywhere.

You continue following the footprints until you come to a clearing. There, you find two men sitting on a mossy log and a third tied up and knocked out next to them. When they see you, they stand up. One is short and has short black hair shaved into a pattern; the other is wearing a hand-sewn violet cloak. The short man gets ready to defend himself. The cloaked man looks terrified and confused.

"Who are you?" the short man says, his hand on his sword.

Strawberries
2012-07-03, 12:36 PM
Nehnlem raises his hands before him in a conciliatory gesture “Travelers. We’re not here to cause trouble.” he says, confidently. He inclines his head towards the bound man “You… uhm…need a hand with that?”

So, I'm thinking about rolling Deception... since I've got a focus in that and all...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+1 (communication) +2 (ability focus)

dancrilis
2012-07-03, 03:38 PM
Kelsie was happy to let the elf take the lead on this, "Agreed, we could possible assist you if you know where we could find some mosswood", if the men knew where it was then there was no harm in helping them after all, the sooner they got out of danger the better, and she had no doubt that this forest was dangerous.

Camelot
2012-07-04, 08:27 AM
"We don't need any help!" the short man says with a tense voice. "Just keep walking!"

The cloaked man speaks up. He talks very fast, as if his apparent confusion is causing desperation. "Wait! Are you headed to Lothering?" "Shut up and let them go!" the first man whispers.

Strawberries
2012-07-05, 01:52 AM
"Yes, once we take care of some...errands in these woods. Finding the mosswood my companion speaks of, for one" he says, scrutinizing the cloaked man a little more closely "Why?"

Rolling perception, to see if he manages to perceive something unusual about the cloaked man
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+1

Camelot
2012-07-05, 08:27 AM
Nehnlem doesn't spot anything in particular about the man, but notices that the log they were sitting on is indeed the mosswood they seek.

"I live there with my sister. Please let me come with you!" He dashes behind Braydon.

"But...you..." The short man looks like he wants to argue, but now that the missing brother is hiding behind four armed travelers, he realizes there is nothing he can do. "Fine, go," he says. "I can take care of myself."

dancrilis
2012-07-05, 03:30 PM
"Hmm ...", Kelsie mused to herself, the dead woman was likely not travelling alone and they had a prisoner these could be the murderers, but if so it really was not her business.

"We are also looking for some goods stolen from a wagon, possible by bandits," casually looking at the short man while keeping an eye on the taller one, "you wouldn't know anything about that would you".

Perception: [roll0]
To see if Kelsie notices anything odd about the men and the man tied up, or any goods looted from a wagon.

Camelot
2012-07-05, 10:06 PM
How do you get the three different numbers to show up when you roll 3d6 like that?

"Yeah, I was on that wagon," the short man says, putting aside his anger for a moment. "I managed to escape, and this one chased me-" he indicates the tied up body, "-but I knocked him out when we came across this man here. He said he'd help me, but I see I'm going to have to fend for myself once he wakes up. As for goods, the other thieves took everything, so I can't help you there." He stands glaring at you, waiting for you to leave.

Strawberries
2012-07-06, 10:55 AM
Nehnlem shrugs "Why not bring him to Loithering, then, and let them deal with him there?"

Empathy check, to see if he's telling the truth?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
+1 perception bonus

Camelot
2012-07-08, 06:52 AM
Nehnlem doesn't notice any signs pointing to the man's truthfulness or otherwise.

"You wanna take him off my hands? Be my guest. I'm going my own way...soon as I catch my breath." He sits back down on the mosswood log.

dancrilis
2012-07-08, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=Camelot;13506697]How do you get the three different numbers to show up when you roll 3d6 like that?

I use magic.

Or perhaps I use, 3d6+X, where X is to be added.

I am taking it that due to Kelsie's abysmal Perception roll she had not noticed the mosswood.

Pointing at the fearful man, "So what's your version of the story, the full truth now", hopefully he would explain the situation, this was quickly becoming a waste of her time, and she had no reason to spend more of it on these two.

Communication:[roll0], to convince the man to tell her the truth.

Camelot
2012-07-09, 11:55 AM
"I was hunting in these woods when these two men approached me. That unconscious guy was trying to kill this man, so I helped knock him out. I agreed to help more, but I really just want to get back to Lothering. My sister must be worried sick. I...you see, I'm not very good with direction, and I sort of...got lost in these woods. Are you heading back now?"

dancrilis
2012-07-10, 01:30 PM
"No we need some mosswood first", considering for a minute, "there was a slaughtered woman at a looted wagon a bit back and I am wondering where her attackers and the goods have gotten off to, looking at the short man, "Why were you fighting and would you wake him up so I can here his version of this".

Strawberries
2012-07-10, 01:53 PM
Nehnlem chuckles. It seems Kelsie hasn't noticed. "Your mosswood. Right there" he says, pointing at the log the man is sitting upon.

indytims
2012-07-10, 03:16 PM
Talon listened to the exchanges quietly, trying to make sense of them all.

He was most curious about the dead woman that had been left behind, and his eyes watched each man closely, looking for the first sign of trouble.

Arguing, men tied up, the threat of bandits - there seemed to be a lot more going on here than met the eye.

The story the men gave seemed odd, and Talon felt a tension in the air - even if he imagined it.

"I, too, would very much like to hear the words of the unconscious man," he said, his accent thick but still understandable, his eyes watching the two men closely.

Camelot
2012-07-13, 10:48 PM
"He's the thief that chased me. I tied him up because he was trying to kill me like my friend on that wagon. He had buddies who looted while he chased me, but I got the better of him."

When Nehnlem points to the log, the man shifts uncomfortably. "Hey, wait...this is mine. I'm, uh, looking for mosswood too. Find some more somewhere else."

dancrilis
2012-07-15, 05:48 AM
"Grand so, I assume you can name your friend on the wagon", shrugging "otherwise we might need to hear from your captive".

Considering him for a minute "as for the mosswood, why do you need it, perhaps we can come to an agreement. Particularly as there are more of us so our need it likely greater".

Camelot
2012-07-15, 10:29 AM
"Oh, uh, there were several of us on that wagon. I was just tagging along, I didn't know any of them by name. Strength in numbers, right?...Well, I guess not, since the bandits got us..."

When Kelsie brings up the fact that there are more of them, the man says, "Whoa, are you threatening me? I'm an innocent here! And I'm sorry, but I need all of it. Yes."

dancrilis
2012-07-17, 03:56 PM
Kelsie analysed the man, would he survive being exploded, probably not, but would it get that far, how tough was he she wondered, ultimately she was getting sick of him.

"Listen there is no need for conflict, we need the mosswood to help people", mostly ourselves granted she thought "and we need to talk to the tied up man to ensure that we don't let make a mistake were justice should be served", smiling pleasantly "so if you let him speak and give up the mosswood we can but in a good word with the templars for you, maybe even a lord some lord in Redcliff for your work against the bandits", or - she thought - I can see about killing you right now.

To convince him to cooperate.

Strawberries
2012-07-19, 06:40 AM
Nehnlem doesn't speak or reply, after all, Kelsie had said pretty much what he was going to say. However, he keeps observing the man carefully, trying to discern any sign of lies.

Empathy check, again [roll0]

Camelot
2012-07-20, 02:11 PM
As the man is about to speak again, the tied up bandit begins to groan and come to. "Whe...what..." He notices that he's tied up, and looks up to see what's going on. He then starts shouting at the man from the wagon. "You bastard! You bloody bastard! Untie me right now!"

"Please," the man says quickly, "just take him with you, and I'll, uh, be on my way. I don't want to deal with him!" The tied up man continues shouting and cursing.

Nehnlem can definitely spot that the man is hiding something. He notices a distinct verbal twitch the man has whenever he says something of questionable doubt. He was lying about being on the wagon, about needing the mosswood, and about being chased by the bandit. He also notices that the brother of the woman back in Lothering is hiding something as well.

Strawberries
2012-07-20, 02:40 PM
He’s lying. It’s a sudden certainty, and, if Nehnlem had to explain where he got it from, he wouldn’t be capable to answer. Maybe it has been the years passed to study the nuances of human expressions in order to keep out of troubles. Even if he is, what do I care?

But he must admit, it feels… incomplete, somehow, to leave it here without getting to the bottom of the situation. “You’re lying, shem.” He says, matter-of-factly. “You weren’t on that wagon, you weren’t ambushed, and you don’t even need the mosswood. Should we question this other… gentleman near you to get the truth?”

Camelot
2012-07-23, 01:05 PM
The man looks at each of the people questioning him for a moment...then bolts through the trees!

Strawberries
2012-08-02, 12:15 PM
:smalleek:
I'm very very sorry. I didn't see the update! I decided to check just because I was wondering what had happened to this game...

Nehnlem hesitates for a fraction of second. It really isn't his problem and shouldn't concern him... but he hates jobs half made. He sprints behind the human, trying to catch him before he runs away. Humans are usually, in his experience, much slower than elves.

That'd be a dexterity (brawling), assumed he manages to catch up with him, right? If he has the points, he'll also try a knock prone stunt
[roll0]

EDIT: No stunt. :smallfrown:

Camelot
2012-08-02, 07:24 PM
It does seem to be falling by the wayside, but I'm patient and will continue as long as anybody's still interested.
Nehnlem easily catches up. As the man is looking back and trying to evade his pursuer, he trips on a loose root and stumbles long enough for Nehnlem to catch up and make sure he doesn't run again.

The tied up bandit explains. "If I'm going down, he's going down with me. We're both bandits who attacked that wagon. The girl was alone, it seemed easy...but then he turned on me and knocked me out and tied me up. I saw the loot we stole from the wagon hidden in the log he was sitting on." The other tries to deny it, but it's clear that he's been revealed. In the mosswood log, you find 80 silver pieces, a silver locket containing a miniature portrait of a young woman (not the one you found dead), a wooden box containing paper, ink, and a quill, and enough rations for one person to make the trip from Lothering to Denerim.

The only question left lingering in your minds is what affliction was mysteriously affecting the girl Falinda's father. However, unless anyone is feeling particularly generous or has a sudden desire to go to Denerim, the question could easily go unanswered without bothering you.

dancrilis
2012-08-04, 03:10 AM
"Good work Nehnlem", she counted the money and called out the findings before pocketing it to be split later and loading up Jess.

She then moved to take a sample of the mosswood, and store that safely.

"Turning to the tied up man", what did he indicating the missing brother, "have to do with this".

Camelot
2012-08-04, 09:00 AM
"Nothing. We were running through the woods to get away from the wagon, and we came across him suddenly. It startled me, and then my "friend" must have knocked me on the head from behind and convinced him to help him out." He looks utterly resigned.

Strawberries
2012-08-06, 09:59 AM
Nehnlem turns to look towards his companions "We should get back to Lothering" he says, and then,as an afterthought "Probably bring those two with us."

Camelot
2012-08-08, 05:59 PM
You start heading back to town, now with both bandits tied up, your pockets significantly heavier with the money that belonged to the dead woman. You find that the man from Lothering (who finally introduces himself as Randall) is actually quite a loquacious fellow when he's not afraid for his life, and he provides you with a very detailed narration of how he ended up in the woods, followed by the story of his life so far.

Upon returning, the Lanarra and her brother have a joyful reunion, and they promise that they'll make it up to you. The mage takes the ingredients you've collected for him, after glancing around to make sure nobody's watching, and hands over the week's worth of rations, the chain shirt, and the two healing poultices.

On your way into town, you also pass Perna, the woman who was stirring up trouble earlier, talking in low voices to a group of burly workers. She silences herself when she notices you and glares as you pass.

Knight Commander Cornelius waves curtly when he catches your eyes, indicating for the four of you to meet him in the Chantry when you get the chance. He is holding several pieces of paper in his hands.