PDA

View Full Version : Eberron! Forgotten Realms! Dragonlance! By your powers combined, I am... wondering?

Morph Bark
2012-05-28, 09:59 AM
I recall reading about a campaign setting or semi-official idea that Eberron, the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance were part of a trinity of realms that were connected together somehow and that they could be travelled between. Does anyone know about this and have more details on this?

Madeiner
2012-05-28, 10:33 AM
Maybe you are talking about Planescape? The idea there is that all material planes are connected to the Planes.

Morph Bark
2012-05-28, 11:25 AM
I've thought about Planescape, but doubt it is that, since with Planescape it is much more than just three realms (same for Spelljammer). I could be mistaken though, but from what I can remember it focused on these three campaign settings being connected.

Yora
2012-05-28, 11:34 AM
Some people have stitched together maps of several campaign setting to a single map.
Map (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/519869992_5361ac34d3_o.png) Map (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SniTwfm5BwE/SwGdq1hhEjI/AAAAAAAABz0/m5Cw31XAZpw/s1600/World+Map+of+Toril.bmp)

But there's nothing official about that, as the settings exist in entirely different cosmologies.

Except FR and DL in 2nd Ed, but that's Planescape.

Larkas
2012-05-28, 12:27 PM
In Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance are pretty much connected through Phlogiston currents, but that's it. Nothing on Eberron, though, as that's newer than 2E.

EDIT: See if this rings any bell:

The Triad
This stable configuration of three spheres includes Realmspace, Krynnspace, and Greyspace. It can be seen as the ‘homeland’ of the Spelljammer setting.
Sources: Dungeon #36 'The Sea of Sorrow,' pp44-45.

EccentricCircle
2012-05-28, 03:49 PM
Yeah, as far as I know Eberrons cosmology has always been isolated from the others (not that that stops one setting planescape or spelljammer games there) the others have all been connected up at various points, but that was before Eberron was invented.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-28, 05:11 PM
In D&DO, Eberron, the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and Dragonlance are all officially part of the same map, so you can go back and forth between them all with impunity. The maps Yora posted are the actual game maps.

Larkas
2012-05-28, 05:35 PM
Wait, what? You can go from Ravenloft to anywhere easily? That's just... Wrong! :smallannoyed:

Shadowknight12
2012-05-28, 05:40 PM
Wait, what? You can go from Ravenloft to anywhere easily? That's just... Wrong! :smallannoyed:

It's a MMO. They went for the easiest and simplest implementation.

Alleran
2012-05-28, 07:36 PM
One issue of Dragon had the World Serpent Inn updated to 3rd edition. Per the standard rules for the Inn, it connects to all published campaign settings (Dark Sun, FR, Eberron, Dragonlance, Planescape, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Mystara and others).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-28, 07:59 PM
In D&DO, Eberron, the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and Dragonlance are all officially part of the same map, so you can go back and forth between them all with impunity. The maps Yora posted are the actual game maps.

Really? I thought that since it started in a Xen'Drik outpost, it was restricted to that. This sounds bigger than Warcraft plus all current expansions (including MoP). I might have to try that again after I get bored of GW/GW2.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-28, 08:36 PM
Really? I thought that since it started in a Xen'Drik outpost, it was restricted to that. This sounds bigger than Warcraft plus all current expansions (including MoP). I might have to try that again after I get bored of GW/GW2.

I can't personally vouch for that, since I have not played it myself, but that's what I read.

Okay, I went on an information hunt and I can safely say that I was misleading in my previous post. DDO is extremely small and it is indeed restricted to that post. Apparently the setting integration was pure fan speculation passing itself off as reality.

In short, I fell prey to the Dandwiki Syndrome.

JadedDM
2012-05-28, 08:37 PM

Wait, wait, wait, wait...wait. What?

I heard they were introducing a couple of FR quests, but what's this about Ravenloft and Dragonlance now?

T.G. Oskar
2012-05-29, 02:51 PM
To be precise, DDO is currently limited to Stormreach in Xen'drik, but the last Update (Update 13) brought a small quest which dealt with the Spinner of Shadows (aka, an Avatar of Lolth/potential Lord of Dust) creating an interdimensional portal into the Demonweb Pits, which are by themselves connected to Faerun. Thus, the next expansion (Menace of the Underdark) will allow players (of high levels, tho) to reach Faerun, Eveningstar and the King's Forest (as well as the Underdark) from Stormreach. In that case, in DDO, Eberron and Faerun are interconnected.

As for the rest...it all depends on how you play it. In theory, Greyhawk and the Earth from d20 Modern are connected by the Plane of Shadows, but crossing from one place to another imposes a sort of "Veil" that muddles the memory of the crossers. That's why such an Earth has elves, dwarves, drow and typical D&D creatures, but they don't suddenly use their 9th level spells to wreak havoc on modern armies.

It can be done using bits and pieces of various settings, though. In my game (hence, non-canonical), I used the moment in which Silvanost in Krynn was shrouded by the nightmare as a manifest zone of Dal Quor, which could introduce the Quori. I, however, mingled it with the idea of the Monoliths of Sarlona and made it an imperfect, but doable, way of having an interdimensional portal, as while travel between Eberron and Dal Quor is still non-existent, the interaction between different planes does (Krynn -> Dal Quor -> Shadow Plane/Astral Plane -> Eberron). Likewise, you can consider Eberron to be the Alpha Centauri equivalent of Spelljammer; a distant, but still influencing, Crystal Sphere that has its own microcosmos.

Saintheart
2012-06-01, 08:44 AM
If you consider Baldur's Gate 2 to be canon, then there's a mission in there that certainly connects Krynn and the Realms - and that of Dark Sun, too. It's the planar sphere, the implication being they picked up some folks from Krynn and Dark Sun before it accidentally winds up back on Faerun again.

Well, I thought it was cool, anyway.

Arcanist
2012-06-02, 08:38 PM
If i remember correctly, Spelljammer connects all of these settings except for Eberron (Realmspace, Kyrin(?)space, and Greyspace), I'd like to consider Eberron as Markedspace (For the use of Dragonmarks, however it can equally be called Artificialspace or in some cases Multispace) ... I'd like to create a Crystal sphere for Eberron for a Spelljammer campaign since the obviously technologically inclined nature of the entire world it would be marvelous and so very appropriate :smallbiggrin:

Mnemnosyne
2012-06-02, 10:10 PM
Oerth, Toril, and Krynn are connected on the prime material via an easy phlogiston path. It's mentioned as a sort of one way triangle where you can go in one direction but not the opposite (I forget the order in which the spheres are arranged). Other official settings of the 2nd Edition era were also crystal spheres on the prime, but usually harder to travel to and from via spelljamming.

Athas has a unique cosmology with the Grey and the Black blocking planar travel, and its crystal sphere is sealed in such a way as to prevent entry or exit via spelljammer. There are exceptions, but they are not easy and not numerous.

Eberron is - to my knowledge - set in a wholly different cosmology; any travel from there to other D&D settings is as far as I know not official in any way (at least as far as sourcebooks are concerned - the DDO thing is an exception that probably isn't considered official as far as sourcebooks go).

If you wanted to have Eberron share a cosmology with the rest of the D&D settings, the most logical thing to do is handle it like Athas; those planes connected to Eberron are some sort of local feature that blocks all normal forms of travel, and you need something really special to get out of that crystal sphere.

Sigil, for the record, breaks right past Athas's barriers - even there, a portal can go directly to Sigil. However, portals to Athas are extremely rare, and basically never stable portals. For obvious reasons, nobody wants to go there, and anyone from Athas that gets out is probably rather disinclined to go home. Eberron could have similar portal issues, making travel to and from it difficult.

The_Snark
2012-06-03, 02:03 AM
Eberron is - to my knowledge - set in a wholly different cosmology; any travel from there to other D&D settings is as far as I know not official in any way (at least as far as sourcebooks are concerned - the DDO thing is an exception that probably isn't considered official as far as sourcebooks go).

Pretty much. If you're playing in a Planescape or Spelljammer game, it's reasonable to include Eberron as part of the cosmology. You can make it difficult to travel to (like Athas), or say it's a backwater that most people don't bother with, or change the setting to account for powerful interplanar travelers, whatever you feel like.

If you're playing in Eberron, though, the default assumption is that the cosmology is self-contained. Sigil, Greyhawk and all the rest don't exist; what you see in the Eberron setting books is what you get. There certainly isn't anything official about it being part of a trinity; I suspect the OP was thinking of the Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance thing.