PDA

View Full Version : Desperate to play a Wild West RPG...

Scarey Nerd
2012-05-28, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know of a good Wild West TTRPG? Wikipedia, that font of knowledge, only mentioned one: "Boot Hill", but even that has 3 editions, so I was hoping the Playground would have an insight into decent Wild West games? Preferably not too combat focused :smallsmile:

Particle_Man
2012-05-28, 12:28 PM
Sidewinder

Aces and Eights

Deadlands (although it has a lot of horror elements too, unless you deliberately ignore those).

The Glyphstone
2012-05-28, 12:39 PM
Dogs in the Vineyard?

hamlet
2012-05-29, 07:08 AM
Second for Aces & Eights. A great game and system.

JackShandy
2012-05-29, 12:51 PM
Dogs in the Vineyard?

Dogs in the Vineyard is a great system, and it's not overly combat focused. If your players want to be traveling trouble-shooters (even if you throw out the rest of the theme) the system should work well as is.

eggs
2012-05-31, 02:30 AM
I love Dust Devils.

It's not combat focused at all (it doesn't even use a distinct conflict resolution mechanic), it's light enough not to get bogged down with battle grids or rule searches, its poker hands are atmospheric enough to give it a nice feel and its focus on the nasty bits of each character's past matches what I've always thought was the genre's main appeal.

Beleriphon
2012-05-31, 08:31 AM
Second for Aces & Eights. A great game and system.

Yeah, the combat wheel is pretty cool for resolving combat. It encourages trying trick shots to some degree.

Trab_barT
2012-05-31, 10:22 AM
You also could try "Strands of Fate" , but then it seems that it is possible to create nearly any setting with the strands of fate way of building characters. It has the beautiful aspect that the possibilities are endless, but the mechanics are very easy. The focus lies on fleshing out your character and using your imagination.

Talyn
2012-06-13, 07:28 PM
Deadlands.

If you want a straight-up historical game, just strip out the magical stuff and the horror elements, and you can play a fun cattle-rustling, trick-shooting, train-robbing cowboy game. That being said, the cool background of the setting is half the fun.

Balain
2012-06-15, 12:00 AM
Maybe to late, but of not I would suggest aces and eights.

Knaight
2012-06-15, 01:41 AM
I'm going to back Dust Devils and Dogs in the Vineyard further. Though the second of these involves a very specific brand of Wild West RPG.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-22, 07:01 PM
You also could try "Strands of Fate" , but then it seems that it is possible to create nearly any setting with the strands of fate way of building characters. It has the beautiful aspect that the possibilities are endless, but the mechanics are very easy. The focus lies on fleshing out your character and using your imagination.

Yep. Power Advantages are a little hard to fit, so you should keep the power level at Action Hero and lower, but you can probably swing a couple Powers by. Ranged Power Attack? Really good shot. Melee Power Attack? Really good punch. Power source? Sheer luck (that's what Fate points are for!). But you shouldn't allow any that don't make sense.

Then there's also Strands of Power, which adds more Advantages and basically acts as errata for existing ones.

Grail
2012-06-24, 09:51 AM
Try using True20 or gurps