PDA

View Full Version : High crit multiplier weapons as a GM

darni
2012-05-28, 11:17 PM
Hi. I'm running a game for a (currently) lvl3/lvl4 group, all of them first-timer to RPGs. None of them have the profile of a power-gamer or are much into knowing exotic rule combinations, but we're really having fun. I've been trying to be nice to them regarding dangers, because sometimes they are oblivious to large dangers that a regular player is used to avoid, but I'm trying to release their hands slowly.

I'm about to face them with an important NPC+a few minions, and while checking the stats I felt that the fight was well balanced, but the weapon I had chosen for the BBEG (mostly for stylistic reason) has a crit x4 multiplier. Given thatt this is a strong guy using Power Attack, it's regular damage is ~ 1d6+10.

My fear is having the fight is going well, and then rolling an "accidental" critical, which will hit someone for ~50hp, having good chances of leaving a PC dead for good.

But I'm guessing this issue (GM'ing for a low level party and facing them with high crit weapons)... how do you/would you handle this situation?

Waker
2012-05-28, 11:25 PM
Well, if you are still trying to be nice to a group of new players you could fudge the results a little bit. Are you rolling behind a screen or are otherwise obscuring the dice? If so, you could modify your results to only be x2, if not change the weapons outright.

NM020110
2012-05-28, 11:39 PM
You chose the weapon for thematic reasons? It should be relatively simple to take the stats on another weapon and describe the chosen weapon as what you are using now.

ex: I'm concerned about the scythe. I give him a longsword instead, but still say it's a scythe.

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-05-29, 01:26 AM
You could just fudge the rolls so that they dont crit.

Canarr
2012-05-29, 04:49 AM
Depends on how smart your players are; if they don't know the rules very well, they might not notice any discrepancies. But more veteran players, after being hit for 12-16 points a few times, *will* know that you fudged the result if they catch a crit and it only does 25-30 points instead of the 50+ that it should.

One possible option: give the villain a feat (if there is none, homebrew it) that lets him trade crit multipliers for other effects. Say, reduce the multiplier from x4 to x2 but give it a Stunning Fist effect or something similar. That way, you won't accidentally kill a PC but the opponent is still dangerous.

Morph Bark
2012-05-29, 05:56 AM
Make it a special weapon instead with a custom enhancement that only works for the BBEG (due to alignment, race or a class ability). Like if he brings someone down into the negatives, they instead drop to 0 hp and fall unconscious. Then he tells the rest that his weapon will turn their friend into a zombie within 3 rounds.

Ways to prevent this from happening:
- Sundering the weapon
- Intimidating the BBEG into undoing it, but this will deal 1d6 damage to the PC, droping them to -1d6 hp and thus dying
- Taking the weapon and attempting a UMD check DC 20 to undo it (and thus deal 1d6 damage to the PC)
- Casting a healing spell will not heal any hp, but the caster can make a caster level check against DC 10 + BBEG level to prevent it, which will undo the zombification, but without dealing damage to the PC

Casting a spell that uses negative energy on the PC instantly turns them into a zombie.

This will A.) cause the weapon to not kill a PC on a lucky hit; B.) create an interesting dynamic to the fight; and C.) allow the PCs to investigate the weapon after defeating the BBEG and decide what to do with it.

EDIT: A 1d6 damage x4 crit multiplier weapon sounds like a Small scythe to me. If it is indeed a scythe, this makes this idea even more thematically appropriate (especially if I'd be correct in my presumptions, since scythes are usually picked for necromancer-types).

Tyndmyr
2012-05-29, 06:23 AM
You chose the weapon for thematic reasons? It should be relatively simple to take the stats on another weapon and describe the chosen weapon as what you are using now.

ex: I'm concerned about the scythe. I give him a longsword instead, but still say it's a scythe.

This. It doesn't cause balance problems, avoids the crit dangers, and avoids the need to fudge. Refluffing things to fit your needs is one of a GMs best tools.

darni
2012-05-29, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies... Some feedback

For those who asked, the weapon is not a scythe but a (Pathfinder) Heavy Pick. Actually a miner's pick with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (which makes it work like a regular heavy pick, that's in the core rules). The NPC is supposed to be a large brute miner-type, so I didn't imagine it using a fancy/magic weapon (but thanks @MorphBark for the idea).

I think I can fudge the damage roll (specially the bonuses; I normally roll in the open) with nobody noticing (that was my original plan), or change the weapon mechanic (make it work like a longsword). This makes it safer, although a bit less educative (my players are eager to learn, so we tend to have post game talks of the kind "how the NPC did that?" "oh, he used feat X together with a strength buff..." etc); I'd really would like to have shown them in play that "see those things? they can be really dangerous! and you can have one if you like for 8gp!". But it's not worth killing a couple of PCs :)

@Canarr: do you know a feat (preferrably PF, but 3.5 will do) like that (to trade multipliers for other stuff)?

I'm a little sad that the system seems to preclude me from using this mechanic (high crit multiplier) as a GM. High crit multiplier weapons are very interesting for players (the fun of suddenly doing a lot of damage adds to the experience), but I'd have liked to make it work on an NPC side.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Morph Bark
2012-05-29, 09:27 AM
Ahh, I see!

Alternatively, you could say the weapon is made of a lesser material and treat 20s not being auto-hits, nor threatening. No crits then. :smalltongue:

Or something else. "It isn't forged correctly" or something in that regard can be used easily to justify a difference with the normal weapon, though of course you should not use that justification often.

Fitz10019
2012-05-29, 03:59 PM
Keep it as-is, especially for educational purposes. If you actually crit hard enough to kill someone outright, just tell the player his PC's at -8. They should face death at some point. Now's as good-a time as any.

Vladislav
2012-05-29, 04:05 PM
I'm a little sad that the system seems to preclude me from using this mechanic (high crit multiplier) as a GM. High crit multiplier weapons are very interesting for players (the fun of suddenly doing a lot of damage adds to the experience), but I'd have liked to make it work on an NPC side.

You can use it, if the PCs have been given a chance at adequate warning.

"The one leading them, a foot taller than any man I've ever seen. Saw him take the head off a horse in one hit"
- A Game of Thrones

Then, if they blindly rush into a fight, their bad.

Invader
2012-05-29, 05:52 PM
I'd agree with just fudging it. If you roll a 20 just make it a hit and move on and no one's the wiser.

I'd also agree with letting them die. Sometimes it's hard to face death as a player but it's a very real part of the game and shouldn't really take away from the experience.

One of the things a DM did for us was instead of losing a level we just lost 1 point of con damage and finding a church to resurrect the player was relatively easy and cost effective. This way your players can die and suffer a penalty but it doesn't make them feel like they're loosing to much.

darni
2012-05-30, 06:57 AM
Thanks to all. I guess I'll try the idea of an in-game warning (show the PCs how their enemy crits a slave, and roll a lot of damage in front of them). After that, if something happens its their fault :) And I might even not roll a 20 ;-)

Tyndmyr
2012-05-30, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replies... Some feedback

For those who asked, the weapon is not a scythe but a (Pathfinder) Heavy Pick. Actually a miner's pick with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (which makes it work like a regular heavy pick, that's in the core rules). The NPC is supposed to be a large brute miner-type, so I didn't imagine it using a fancy/magic weapon (but thanks @MorphBark for the idea).

I think I can fudge the damage roll (specially the bonuses; I normally roll in the open) with nobody noticing (that was my original plan), or change the weapon mechanic (make it work like a longsword). This makes it safer, although a bit less educative (my players are eager to learn, so we tend to have post game talks of the kind "how the NPC did that?" "oh, he used feat X together with a strength buff..." etc); I'd really would like to have shown them in play that "see those things? they can be really dangerous! and you can have one if you like for 8gp!". But it's not worth killing a couple of PCs :)

@Canarr: do you know a feat (preferrably PF, but 3.5 will do) like that (to trade multipliers for other stuff)?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Well, you can, you just need to accept an increased risk of splattering a player. I'm fine with that on occasion....I don't use high crit weapons OFTEN, but every once in a while, it's aright.

Keneth
2012-05-30, 07:43 AM
Pathfinder has Hero Points for exactly this reason. "Accidents" happen in D&D and hero points make sure that you don't fall victim to a few bad rolls.

More importantly, players also need to be aware that there's always a chance of losing. An encounter is no fun if there's no chance of failure.

Salanmander
2012-05-30, 09:06 AM
Keep it as-is, especially for educational purposes. If you actually crit hard enough to kill someone outright, just tell the player his PC's at -8. They should face death at some point. Now's as good-a time as any.

This. You can even bypass the -8, depending on how cool with character death you think the players would be. If they're eager to learn about mechanics, that would teach them pretty quick, and they may actually be more okay than normal with rolling a new character.

Also, you may kill one character with it, but you're not super likely to kill two.

TuggyNE
2012-05-30, 04:54 PM
An alternative that keeps the miner theme (albeit slightly diluted) would be to use a hammer. A warhammer does slightly more damage, but has a lower crit multiplier (x3 instead of x4).