PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] To build a dwarf in the age of the dragon

Zerban
2012-05-29, 01:20 AM
So a strange idea struck me the other day while contemplating a DMPC. I was going to make him a Bard since they make such good utility characters, but then I was struck by a random thought. A thought to make him a character that my players all loved and were thrilled at the idea of playing with.

So, I have to ask. If you were to make Varric from Dragon Age 2, how would you do it? My tentative solution would be to use a Rogue/Bard gestalt, but I'm wondering what you all thought.

killianh
2012-05-29, 05:26 AM
Well Varric is a Dwarf Rogue that specialized in Crossbow use, so that to start. He is a merchant prince among surface dwarfs and has a spy network. Utility wise (Since he's a DMPC) just give him the wands you want him to have, and build him like a skill monkey Rogue with a spy network backing him up, and merchant connections as well.

Because of the personality you might even consider beguiler if you're going to gestalt it

Zerban
2012-05-29, 10:40 PM
Is Perform a Beguiler class skill? I just figured Bard was the best fit given how much emphasis is placed on the fact that Varric is a storyteller. Not to mention that repeating crossbows are apparently exotic weapons. I could always use my DM-ly powers to make him a custom class, I guess.

... one that gives his chest hair +CHA to Ac as a deflection bonus.

Cespenar
2012-05-30, 03:00 AM
Urban Ranger/Scout with Swift Hunter, perhaps? Get Crossbow Sniper from PHBII, and put a lot of enchantments on Bianca.