PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Ideas for an Inquisitor build

Crazysaneman
2012-05-29, 03:49 AM
:smallwink:

Hello playgrounders, how are we today? Tonight? Today.
I am looking for an idea to run with in a pathfinder campaign, as the title says; some kind of inquisitor. I am allowed to use any of the pathfinder books, but I am assuming nothing else is allowed. I don't really care what the specifics are, I am just curious about what you guys have used/ would use.
Boring stuff:
Any race (and in fact up to a +2LA or 2RHD is allowed) except humans :(
Any Pathfinder book is bueno.
14th level, and RHD/LA buyoff is allowed.
Flaws/Traits are allowed
Archetypes/Favored class bonuses allowed
We do RP some
Campaign is a homebrew, stop the evil goddess from tearing reality asunder type game. My current toon is faaaaar too powerful (killed the BBEG for the first dungeon solo in 2 rounds with Sorcwin button) and he wants me to build something a little more mediocre to put me at level with the party. DM likes his game to go just so, and likes to use the phrase "I don't want you to do that, so no."
Party Build:
Fighter (gunslinger wanna be) that uses a .357 type revolver and a 9mm type second (dm was supercool and allowed him to use "any weapon he could produce stats for"... guy plays D20 Modern, nuff said.)
Sorceress (Failsorc :smalleek: still uses a wand of acid arrow at every opportunity)
Pacifist Rogue (sap adept/master that wields a summer sausage)
Tank Fighter (Sword and board/shield bash type)
Cleric (first toon, healerbot buffbot)

Stats:
4d6 drop lowest reroll 1s and 2s... I got
18, 18, 17, 16, 16, 16 roll your own if you like

TLDR;
Looking for ideas for an Inquisitor. Don't much care about the specifics. Do your worst, or best, whatever catches your fancy.

Rhaegar14
2012-05-29, 07:22 AM
One of the things I've always found funny about Inquisitor is that it's presented as a primarily ranged class because of its proficiencies and associated art, but really, all of their class features work just as well with melee weapons.

Be an Inquisitor of Gorum to get free Greatsword proficiency, use the suite of class features and spells you have that buff your damage (along with standard options like Power Attack), and make the Paladin cry about how he's not nearly as good as you at smiting the enemies of the faith. It could also work with Iomedae if you wield the longsword two-handed, at the cost of a small amount of damage, if you like that flavor better.

For Inquisitions/Domains, Conversion Inquisition is a pretty nice go-to if you don't like any of the others, as it lets you serve as party face (something your group appears to be lacking; Sorcerers don't really have the skill points to support it). Destruction Domain might also be a good pick.

Of course, if you feel that your party would better benefit from more ranged prowess, you can go with the standard archer feats and use your class features and spells to make sure the arrows actually hurt a little bit when they hit.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-29, 07:26 AM
Archer Inquisitor Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243557)

Crazysaneman
2012-05-29, 10:12 AM
For Inquisitions/Domains, Conversion Inquisition is a pretty nice go-to if you don't like any of the others, as it lets you serve as party face (something your group appears to be lacking; Sorcerers don't really have the skill points to support it). Destruction Domain might also be a good pick.

Of course, if you feel that your party would better benefit from more ranged prowess, you can go with the standard archer feats and use your class features and spells to make sure the arrows actually hurt a little bit when they hit.

Party face archer type? TBCH didn't even occur to me :smallsmile: I've never played a faceman before, I'm typically the party fighter or rogue... sounds intriguing.

NightbringerGGZ
2012-05-29, 11:51 AM
The first thing I thought of when I saw your rolls and the fact that Modern-Era weapons are allowed was to go Inquisitor 9 / Gunslinger (Pistolero 5). I'd go Grippli for the +2 to Dex & Wis, so I'd wind up with the following ability scores:

Str - 14 (16, -2 Racial)
Dex - 22 (18, +2 Racial, +1 at Lvls 8 & 12)
Con - 18 (17, +1 at Lvl 4)
Int - 16
Wis - 20 (18, +2 Racial)
Cha - 16

Being a Grippli also grants you a bonus to attack rolls and AC, while still having a 30 foot move speed. You also get Darkvision and some situational movement / stealth bonuses as well as natural climb speed.

Pick up the traits Reactionary for the bonus to Initiative and Dangerously Curious for Use Magic Device as a class skill. At level 14 you have a +15 on Initiative Rolls, 19 if you grab Improved Initiative. Your Saves are Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 12. You have enough feets to either duel-wield modern-era hand guns or to go for Improved Snap Shot, getting 6 ranged AoPs per round, threatening 15 feet of space.

I'd use a Glock 20 and keep extra magazines, as Rapid Reload makes switching magazines a free action =). You'll have to reload your mags after combat, but that's not a big deal usually. This also would let you target touch AC out to 40 feet. If you can't use a Glock, go for a Revolver and keep a ton of cartridge ammo on you. With 14 strength you'll be able to carry quite a bit.

Overall, you'll be able to deal a ton of damage, have quite a few skills, some buffing / healing spells, the ability to use magic wands, HP similar to a front-line fighter and really good saves. You'll also have an insane Initiative bonus, so you'll almost always be starting the fight.

Crazysaneman
2012-05-29, 12:30 PM
The first thing I thought of when I saw your rolls and the fact that Modern-Era weapons are allowed was to go Inquisitor 9 / Gunslinger (Pistolero 5). I'd go Grippli for the +2 to Dex & Wis, so I'd wind up with the following ability scores:

Str - 14 (16, -2 Racial)
Dex - 22 (18, +2 Racial, +1 at Lvls 8 & 12)
Con - 18 (17, +1 at Lvl 4)
Int - 16
Wis - 20 (18, +2 Racial)
Cha - 16

Being a Grippli also grants you a bonus to attack rolls and AC, while still having a 30 foot move speed. You also get Darkvision and some situational movement / stealth bonuses as well as natural climb speed.

Pick up the traits Reactionary for the bonus to Initiative and Dangerously Curious for Use Magic Device as a class skill. At level 14 you have a +15 on Initiative Rolls, 19 if you grab Improved Initiative. Your Saves are Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 12. You have enough feets to either duel-wield modern-era hand guns or to go for Improved Snap Shot, getting 6 ranged AoPs per round, threatening 15 feet of space.

I'd use a Glock 20 and keep extra magazines, as Rapid Reload makes switching magazines a free action =). You'll have to reload your mags after combat, but that's not a big deal usually. This also would let you target touch AC out to 40 feet. If you can't use a Glock, go for a Revolver and keep a ton of cartridge ammo on you. With 14 strength you'll be able to carry quite a bit.

Overall, you'll be able to deal a ton of damage, have quite a few skills, some buffing / healing spells, the ability to use magic wands, HP similar to a front-line fighter and really good saves. You'll also have an insane Initiative bonus, so you'll almost always be starting the fight.

.. wow, another interesting idea! you guys are great, thanks for the ideas! Pipe smoking frog-with-no-name bounty hunter style character? Why yes, I think we can make this work :smallamused:

StreamOfTheSky
2012-05-29, 12:52 PM
Guns are using PF rules in this game (hits touch AC)? ...Have fun with that.

:yuk:

NightbringerGGZ
2012-05-29, 12:53 PM
.. wow, another interesting idea! you guys are great, thanks for the ideas! Pipe smoking frog-with-no-name bounty hunter style character? Why yes, I think we can make this work :smallamused:

If you want, you could also still be the party face. As a Gunslinger/Inquisitor you'd have Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive as class skills. You're getting 9 skill ranks for each Inq level and 7 for each Gunslinger level (assuming your favored class bonus goes into HP). That adds up to 116 skill points to play with =). 125 if you go with extra skill points over extra hp.

Guns are using PF rules in this game (hits touch AC)? ...Have fun with that.

:yuk:

What's wrong with the PF rules for guns? Hitting Touch AC is pretty easy against anything that isn't stacking a ton of Dodge AC bonuses.

Arbane
2012-05-29, 08:00 PM
What's wrong with the PF rules for guns? Hitting Touch AC is pretty easy against anything that isn't stacking a ton of Dodge AC bonuses.

I think that's the problem - I get the impression guns are game-breakingly good compared to regular weapons.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-30, 02:42 AM
if you are using modern weapons why stop at a glock 20? D20 modern has pretty messed up firearm damage rules. Use an FN Five-Seven. 20 rounds/magazine, 2d8 damage, as opposed to 15 rounds and 2d6. Even better in some ways, grab a Glock 17 and ask your GM if you can use the real life 33 round magazines for it. thats 34 2d6 shots before you need to reload.

D20 modern sucks when it comes to caliber and damage. milk it for whatever you can.

And at this point, you might as well just grab a submachine gun or assault rifle.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-30, 02:52 AM
I think that's the problem - I get the impression guns are game-breakingly good compared to regular weapons.

you are wrong. IF they were game breakingly good everyone would use them. from what i have seen, most people dont.

You get gunslingers, (obviously) the occasional spellslinger (weaker wizard) and sometimes a gun rogue. sometimes people might dabble in some of the various gun archetypes for other classes, but as a rule they are weaker.
Besides, a pistol (range increment of 20 ft) requires Rapid Reload to use more than once a round. a Longbow has range of 100 ft, and requires no feats to use as many times in a round as you want. beyond 20 feet, touch AC doesnt apply, and is meaningless. make it composite, and now you have bonuses to damage, which the gun will not have.

Thus, C. Longbow is still the best ranged weapon in Pathfinder.