PDA

View Full Version : What Class/Build should I play?

Sanrek
2012-05-29, 04:32 AM
Hello Guys,

first of all, English is not my native language, so please forgive my mistakes.

What is my problem?
Soon we will be playing a 3.5 Ravenloft campaign and I'm not really sure what the group needs (or else, which slot is still free).
All my informations are:
- starting level 4
- following group members
# human fighter (dirty fighter)
# human illusionist (not sure if wizard or sorcerer)
# gnome cleric
# gnome alchemist (homebrew, knowledge skills, little magic, poison)
# human necromancer (homebrew)
# ??? beguiler/bard/rogue (also a new member, not sure what race/class, will be the groups face)
# drow/half drow ninja/rogue (also a new member, the stealthy guy)

So which role should I fulfill?

killianh
2012-05-29, 04:59 AM
From the look of the layout that you have I would suggest a type of ranged direct damage character.

For that I would suggest either a Bow using character of some sort or this

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer

Hope that helps

Gnorman
2012-05-29, 05:21 AM
I noticed you don't have a druid.

Telonius
2012-05-29, 08:07 AM
That's a pretty large party. Normally with that many people, I'd suggest Bard, but there's already one of those. Artificer is also good in a large-group situation, but that might be a little bit too many people for you to equip.

I notice two places where the party is slightly weak: melee (especially if the Cleric is taking a buffing or healing role) and blasting. Druid would fill both of those.

Waker
2012-05-29, 08:00 PM
To fill in the melee slot, I can make a few suggestions.
Barbarian- Simple and direct. There are a few ways to go about building a barbarian, but most of them involve a big weapon and being perpetually angry.

Tome of Battle Classes
Crusader- A strong class that can take anything that you throw at him. This class is the closest thing to being a tank in D&D.
Warblade- A more offensive warrior than the Crusader, this guy nonetheless is a potent combatant and survivor.

Magic of Incarnum Classes
Incarnate- A flexible and fairly defensive class. Don't let his low BAB fool you, with the right melds chosen this guy can do just fine in a fight.
Totemist- If he has the right melds chosen, this guy basically becomes a walking blender.

Invader
2012-05-29, 08:15 PM
You have a pretty good group makeup so really you could play whatever interests you the most. That being said just about anything you pick will be able to coincide with all of the other classes without really overlapping their abilities to much.

You could fill a melee role nicely with a barbarian, fighter, or paladin.

Ranged Dps with a ranger or blaster sorc or wizard since your other caster is an illusionist.

Or pick something that will allow you to prestige into something that's not optimized but has a lot of favor or that's always looked fun to play like a harper scout or dwarven defender.

Eldariel
2012-05-29, 09:01 PM
I'd go Cleric Archer. You could use an archer and it's Ravenloft; you really can never have too much divine casting (though of course, your life might turn to a personal hell depending on how the setting is run).

Druid would also always be a solid option, though you seem to have enough beef already. The spellcasting wouldn't be wasted, but this feels more like a Cleric Party than a Druid Party.

Oh and yeah, Artificer would be absolutely amazing, as it's a power multiplier of sorts and that's a big party. They also get good spell access via. Infusions and Items so they can play melee pretty well. And you can Craft Constructs if you feel so inclined.

Empedocles
2012-05-29, 09:29 PM
Melee looks a little bit on the weaker side, but melee is the weaker side in 3.5...

Combat oriented cleric would probably be ideal. You have so many characters that you don't really need to worry about limited spells, he can heal all your squishy characters, and bash in everyone else's brains.

Sanrek
2012-05-30, 08:07 AM
Thank you all for the good suggestions!

After reading all this an idea has manifested in my mind, a settled elderly halfling druid (substitution) with a riding dog companion.

I think he will be on the casting road and uses his wild shape for non combat situations. Also I think about the wild cohort feat for an extra (but weaker) companion, the animal affinity feat and the nature spell feat (<- for future purpose). Maybe nature bond to make up for the wild cohort disadvantages, or nymph's kiss for charisma checks and a nice skill point per level.

It's not quite the most powerful druid, but I think it's funny to play.

Should I go for ghostwise or stronheart halfling? Ghostwise would be a better explanation for the background, but stronghearts have an additional feat...

Gnorman
2012-05-30, 08:14 AM
Almost definitely Strongheart. That bonus feat can be very, very valuable.

Invader
2012-05-30, 07:32 PM
Strongheart Halflings are arguably the best race to can play so you can't really go wrong with them.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-30, 07:49 PM
Definitely use Strongheart Halfling from FRCS, it trades the racial luck bonus to saving throws for a bonus feat. Combine it with Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) for +2 Con and a swim speed.

You're starting at 4th level, so you can start with a companion from a higher level list. I'd get a Fleshraker Dinosaur (MM3), which with Natural Bond you'll still count your full Druid level toward its benefits. You can use Wild Cohort to still have a riding dog, but it should stay close to you and protect you rather than being a primary combatant.

Consider taking Greenbound Summoning (LEoF) or Ashbound (ECS), or even Companion Spellbond (PH2) for your other 1st level feat with Wild Cohort. Get Natural Bond at 3rd, Natural Spell at 6th, and whatever else at 9th+. Get at least one Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, you'll soon find that you can never have enough of those. Your prepared spells should include Enrage Animal, Entangle, Produce Flame, Creeping Cold, and Kelpstrand. Definitely extend Creeping Cold every time it's cast, and Kelpstrand or Produce Flame are other good candidates for your uses of the Rod of Extend. Get the arcane caster in the party to put Mage Armor on your Fleshraker every day, maybe even let him borrow your Lesser Rod of Extend to make it last twice as long.