PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckling crime fighter! (3.5)

ZiggZagg
2012-05-29, 10:04 AM
Alright, so I'm trying to build a swashbuckling crime fighter character...well that's the fluff, anyway. Doesn't have much to do with the question I'm about to ask now that I think about it...anywho!

I'm looking to make a multiclass Scout or Rogue/Swordsage (gonna talk to the DM about switching out sneak attack for skirmish, just because it seems to fit the character design and type of character I want). Now, I have most of the feats laid out. I don't have the build in front of me, but the idea is to make him use a rapier and hand crossbow, taking advantage of the one feat in Drow of the Underdark that allows me to do that better. Feat choices mostly revolve around the hand crossbow, such as Hand Crossbow focus, Crossbow Sniper, Precise shot, etc. However, the swordsage part is there to provide the defensive boosts it has access to, as well as a bit of melee damage as well. SO...finally to me question...

I have read before that Swordsages have access to a lot of things that can make them very good for melee defense. One poster, I believe, went has far to say they become virtually immune to melee damage. I have never focused on the defensive aspects of the swordsage, more of the damage, so I'm not familiar with good choices for defensive maneuvers. SO, experts of the boards...I turn to you! What maneuvers and stances should my character have to really make melee combat a nightmare for my opponent?

Zonugal
2012-05-29, 02:16 PM
What level are you starting at?

Frog Dragon
2012-05-29, 02:26 PM
Swordsages are nowhere near immune to melee damage, but they do have some interesting tricks to frustrate melee:ers. Most of these are in setting sun, which includes stuff like Counter Charge and Baffling Defense. Shadow Hand also gives access to the Child of Shadow stance, which can be fairly useful. 20% miss chance is a nice bonus. Later on, Scorpion Parry is also a good defensive maneuver, though it suffers from the medium BAB swordsages are saddled with. Hydra-Slaying Strike, while not strictly defensive, has funny effects on melee-attackers (being unable to full attack takes a lot of steam from melee:ers, though the maneuver is useless against actual hydras by raw).

Edit: Swordsage Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181705)

wayfare
2012-05-29, 02:29 PM
Ok, a one thing:

Scout is amazing on a Desert Wind Swordsage -- you're always moving, and so you are always getting your Scout

Feralventas
2012-05-29, 03:01 PM
Ok, a one thing:

Scout is amazing on a Desert Wind Swordsage -- you're always moving, and so you are always getting your Scout

Desert Fire, +1d6 damage after moving 10 ft with your next Desert Wind strike.
Desert Wind Dodge, +1 AC after moving 10ft and an extra 1 point of fire damage as long as you're using the right kind of weapon.

Skirmish functions at 10 feet, but Improved Skirmish does better with 20ft for an additional 2d6 damage and +1 AC.

So, 3 levels of Swordsage, 3 levels of Scout. +4d6 damage with a desert wind strike after moving 20ft, +3AC, every time you use it. The issue with it would be that doing this is really feat intensive, so it'd mean delaying your faster recovery option as a Swordsage.

ZiggZagg
2012-05-29, 03:39 PM
I don't know what level I'm starting at yet.

And that build does sound like fun, but it is a bit too feat intensive. I will have to dig up the build I had, but I'm pretty sure most of my feats were spoken for. Will have to look at it again to remember, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I also tracked down the Swordsage handbook thread thing on these boards. A lot of good info in there. The DM also has some modified crafting rules to help keep alchemical items from being useless after low levels. So when I combine that with the character, hopefully I will have a lot of fun tricks up my sleeve ^_^

Zonugal
2012-05-29, 03:56 PM
How about a build like this?

Human Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Swordsage 2?