PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out what this monster might be

qlawdat
2012-05-29, 02:53 PM
I am playing in a 3.5 forum dungeon crawl game. I just entered a room and was given this info:
The unicorn kicks down the door with ease, and darkness pours into the room!
You cannot grasp the true form of the darkness' attack!

Initiative: 24
????? (??????) - [normally I would get info here, like White Dragonkin (Medium Monstrous Humanoid)]
AC/Touch/FF: 22/14/18
Gear:
Actions: ?? - Hits the Unicorn for 8! Hits the Unicorn for 5!
Effects: Concealment (20%)

I have been scouring the monster finder but no luck so far. The visage from the libris mortis has the correct AC, but it's damage is not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Downysole
2012-05-29, 03:39 PM
A drow with a Darkness spell on the other side of the door. You can't see him or his gear and you have a 20% miss chance due to the darkness. He might have had the same miss chance, or he might be able to see through it.

Unusual Muse
2012-05-29, 05:48 PM
The darkness attacked you? Well, obviously: cast Magic Missile! :smallsmile:

Togo
2012-05-29, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what it is...

But wouldn't telling you be, you know... cheating?:smallconfused:

Invader
2012-05-29, 06:02 PM
You can see through a Drow's darkness in 3.5 but it might be a creature from the underdark. I can't think of anything that causes true darkness off the top of my head but I'm sure there are some.

qlawdat
2012-05-30, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure I know what it is...

But wouldn't telling you be, you know... cheating?:smallconfused:

No, the game is very brutal. The GM expects us to use any and all resources we have access to if it will help us survive.

grarrrg
2012-05-30, 10:18 AM
The darkness attacked you? Well, obviously: cast Magic Missile! :smallsmile:

^ This ^
Although, "technically" you attack the Darkness, and the Darkness just sits there being all "dark"...

qlawdat
2012-05-30, 07:56 PM
I have a bit more info

Actions: ?? - Summons dispelled (Caster level check 22 and 22 VS Wolves, fail VS Unicorn )
Effects: Total Concealment

So it dispelled some of my summons.

Invader
2012-05-30, 07:58 PM
What level is your party? That would help narrow it down quite a bit.

Downysole
2012-05-31, 05:23 AM
I'm still going for Drow, but now I'm going to toss on Drow wizard with Displacement or invisibility cast. I would prepare for an area of effect spell to hit you next round.

Also, those guys normally have flunkies, so charging in might get you attacked by a readied spear or at least several pointy blades.

Anecronwashere
2012-05-31, 05:50 AM
10 posts and no mention of MitD? for shame playground :smalltongue:

I reckon it's a Drow with Class Levels. Maybe Wiz or Sorc?

qlawdat
2012-05-31, 10:59 AM
Ah yes, good point. I am level 7, so it is most likely CR 5-8.

Yes it could be a Drow, but the way the GM runs this it would be a published creature from one of the books, and not a generated npc.