PDA

View Full Version : first time d&d story's (what did you do your first time)

savorn
2012-05-29, 04:33 PM
it started in faerun when lusken was an outpost and guantlgrym had not made its deal with the hosttower. i made a half elf sorcerer non optimized:smallsigh:. i started in ten towns and was visiting my halfling bard/bone sculpter who was a total boss and helped me make a raven carving but I broke all the other scrimshaw then iu got a quest from an elf who wanted a strange jewel he lost in a cave i got it and then left to lusken were i proseded to give the obvios phylaxtery to the most powerfull hosttower wizard who gets possesed i got rejected by pirates then i went to rescue a mans son i ended up killing his son after living in a secret grove in never winter wood his son attacked me and it turned out he was a werewolf and then i got killed when i attacked a guy on the street after he stole my dagger :smallamused: i was such a fail

MonkeyBusiness
2012-05-29, 04:41 PM
My first time as a player of D&D I made a human fighter, and ran through the Keep on The Borderlands, in first edition.

First time as a Dungeon Master, I started with all the players chained together, prisoners on the way to the auction block. But they escaped ... into the desert.

Fun times.

Rallicus
2012-05-29, 04:41 PM
Well, at least you didn't die opening a sack of flour in the first room of the module like I did.

AD&D was a harsh mistress.

Objection
2012-05-29, 04:46 PM
Roll a natural 1 on an attack roll with a longbow
Accidentally kill a random owl as a result of said natural 1
Take dead owl with you after battle ends
Use said dead owl as trap/ambush detection (combine with Ghost Sound for effective version of the latter)

Man, I have got to get another dead owl.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-05-29, 04:47 PM
That OP is near indecipherable.

My first time playing involved being a guard of a caravan that ended up being attacked by Kobolds before fending them off and hunting them down.

My first time DMing involved a mad goose-chase that ended up in a brothel with Dire STDs and a dead priest ... Yeah. I'm an odd DM to say the least.

Flame of Anor
2012-05-29, 04:54 PM
This goes in Roleplaying Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30).

ForzaFiori
2012-05-29, 07:19 PM
First time playing we were using a 3.0 starter set. My DM (his first time as well as ours) decided that the first thing our lv 1 party should fight should be the most iconic monster in the box. The Red Dragon. I don't remember what age category it was, but at lv 1, it doesn't really matter. Needless to say, we didn't let him DM anymore.

Haven't actually had a first time DMing, other than a few attempts that didn't even manage a single session due to lack of planning. However, I'm hoping to fix that soon, after I finish with a short campaign I'm writing.

savorn
2012-05-29, 11:21 PM
looks like we all had interesting first times
my first time DMing I created a hombrew race aka the crafax who were red insectiods they took over whole planes of existence and had an ant like society. my friend didn't like it cause he got overpowered weapons a dagger like the entreri has (life force sucking) and an acid damage sword that he gave to his party member it turned there was a black dragons soul inside the sword but it was a good dragon and he had a fire dagger that did 1d8 dmg and another +5 of fire damage it had a female red dragon trapped in it :smallbiggrin: I love soul trapped weapons. the first time he did something he killed a bunch of criminals for the money reward. he played as woman so i had a good time of making role-playing scenes (very detailed) she liked an elf ranger so i made his wife get killed by the crafax so i could do some weird campaign twists

t209
2012-05-30, 04:37 AM
When I read this, I think I underestimated the power of Tabletop RPGs. It's better than Videogames and their limited imagination.

TheCountAlucard
2012-05-30, 04:40 AM
Please, original poster...

1) Use capitals at the beginning of your sentences and when using proper nouns. It's surprising how much of a difference that makes.

2) Break up your block o' text into paragraphs; again, it doesn't seem like much, but it makes a surprising amount of difference.

3) Report the original post and request it be moved to the RPGs board. This board area is for, as the name implies, general discussion - we'd be happy to talk about our D&D experiences and whatnot, but I'm sure you're likely to get better replies and more views and whatnot if this page is where it belongs.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything - it's just that I quite literally couldn't get through your first post; no offense intended, but it's a bit of a mess. :smalleek:

Welcome to the forums, by the way. :smallsmile:

Rallicus
2012-05-30, 12:15 PM
Breakin' it down for your rude chumps who can't read broken English:

His campaign started in Faerun, when Luskan was an outpost and the kingdom of Gauntlgrym had not yet made a deal with Host Tower of the Arcane.

He was in Ten-Towns, visiting a halfling bard/bone sculptor (possibly related?) who was a pretty cool guy. He helped the player make a raven carving but then the player accidentally broke all the halfling's scrimshawed bones.

Moving on from that setback, the player proceeded to get a quest from an elf. The quest involved getting a jewel, but it was an obvious phylactery, so the player gave it to a powerful wizard instead, who later became possessed.

The player then tried to join a group of pirates, but was rejected. He was given another quest to rescue a man's son, but ended up killing the son instead. Turns out the son was living in a hidden grove in Neverwinter Wood, and he was actually a werewolf. Apparently he attacked the player first.

Despite his epic encounters and exciting adventures, the player makes a simple, fatal mistake. When a dagger is stolen from him while walking down a public street, the player attacks the thief. He is then killed, though the cause is (perhaps intentionally) left vague. Draw your own conclusions, gentlemen.

Honestly though? Give the guy a break. His story wasn't really that hard to follow, so you don't need to be grammar or spelling nazis.

Dr. Bath
2012-05-30, 12:25 PM
The first (and only) D&D I've played I was the GM, and my players:
Sided with the crime boss
Killed a few people in the street because they wanted their clothes
Smothered the sick Duke
Started a war with the Dwarves

The campaign only managed to go on another few sessions, during which they continued to be the worst people of all time.

Jay R
2012-05-30, 06:08 PM
My actual first experience was pretty much just rolling dice to see how it worked.

My second time, which I consider my first real game, I was playing a first level paladin in OD&D with only the first supplement Greyhawk. The party ranged from 1st to 5th level, was entirely Lawful (which meant Good).

My paladin couldn't afford a sword, and was wielding a mace.

After several encounters, a couple levels down in the dungeon, we were all down to 3 or fewer hit points. (Remember, in this game, 0 hit points is dead.) My paladin had a single hit point left.

The treasure we had just found included a sword, which the paladin asked for. He received the right to pick it up. Unfortunately, it was a high-ego chaotic sword, and the first thing that should happen when my paladin touched it is that he should have received 2d6 points of damage, which would have killed the character. The DM made a few rolls behind the screen, and then wrote and handed me a note.

"This Chaotic sword has changed your alignment. You are now chaotic, and holding a chaotic Flaming Sword."

I thought for a moment, and asked to speak to him privately. When we got into the other room, I told him, "I don't have any questions for you. I just want them to believe you gave me more information than the note had." I told him my plan, we waited a couple more minutes, and then we walked back in.

My (ex-)paladin told the group, "This is a Holy Sword with a quest I have to take on alone. I need you to go back the way you came. It's important that you do as I ask. Go back single file, and no matter what you hear, DON'T LOOK BACK."

Of course the five characters trusted my paladin, and did as he asked. My chaotic ex-paladin came up and stabbed each one in the back. Several times the DM said, "You hear a stab behind you, and a body slumping." "We don't look back." After five times, he told them that they were all dead.

So in my first game of D&D, my paladin murdered an entire lawful party.

HeadlessMermaid
2012-05-30, 06:28 PM
So in my first game of D&D, my paladin murdered an entire lawful party.
Which brings up the question: did "Chaotic" in OD&D equal "mass murderer for no apparent reason"?

cfalcon
2012-05-30, 07:01 PM
It could at times?

My first game I had a mage, a dissatisfied son of a wealthy trader. I went with the caravan to a big city to seek further training. The caravan came under attack, which repelled by blowing all my spells and then attacking, not entirely uselessly, with a stick.

As DM, my first game involved a sole player with a freedom-fighting ninja who grew in power to challenge more and bigger threats, and the game world largely expanded with him, a lush planet with an old society that had lost much of its frontiers to magic and monsters- plenty of ruins and dragons, and things that were part dragon.

Illithilich
2012-05-30, 10:13 PM
First game I had a Tiefling TWF Ranger. About an hour in a Gibbering Mouther confused me, and the other party members killed me when I attacked them. It was awesome.

Jay R
2012-05-31, 06:16 AM
Which brings up the question: did "Chaotic" in OD&D equal "mass murderer for no apparent reason"?

No; it meant "evil", and was interpreted as "enemies of Lawful characters". The party had just slain two priests, based primarily on alignment.

So there was a clear, apparent reason. I had gone down into the dungeon to find and kill people with an opposite alignment, and take their stuff. I was with several lawful people who were there specifically to slay chaotic people like me, who had money and magic items, who were all down to 1-3 hit points, and who would very likely attack me if they discovered the truth.

Also, it was 37 years ago. I was young and stupid then.

HeadlessMermaid
2012-05-31, 06:59 AM
No; it meant "evil", and was interpreted as "enemies of Lawful characters". The party had just slain two priests, based primarily on alignment.

So there was a clear, apparent reason. [...] Also, it was 37 years ago.
Ah, I see. And wow, that's a long time (bows respectfully).

It always seemed to me that earlier incarnations of the alignment system (and more current ones when implemented very very badly) were a bit like painting your tin soldiers, some green and some red, so that you know who fights whom. I thought I was exaggerating, but apparently I wasn't. :smalltongue:

Dark Elf Bard
2012-05-31, 11:10 AM
One of my first (not THE first) started in the 4e Against The Giants campaign. One of my friends was playing a dwarven brawler fighter, modeled off Macho Man Randy Savage. There was a 'lazy mage' named Lack, my drow assassin, a drunken elf warlord, another dwarf fighter and a goliath swordmage/warlock. We were chained up, without our weapons. The goliath called his sword to his hands, and both he and the elf had Summoned Armor. The dwarf grabbed the jail door off it's hinges. I picked the lock and jumped out. Randy Savage picked up the mage and threw him into the jailer. The goliath created a zone which did something like 3d12 damage, and placed in the corridor. The boss actually died walking through it. The mage started hypnotizing all of the enemies to kill each other. It was fun.

Dead_Jester
2012-05-31, 01:59 PM
First time I played, the DM had us make 2 characters, so I made a Monk :smallredface: (not optimized whatsoever, but had really good stats, so with improved evasion, would run around triggering magical traps for fun and profit) and a cleric :smallcool: (which I accidentally optimized pretty well trying to make a good buffer). Yea, class imbalance was obvious quite rapidly...

It is, however, the only campaign I have seen a monk use his slow fall ability meaningfully. Getting pushed of the side of a canyon is a little less painful when you dimension door down and then slow fall the rest of the way.

Remmirath
2012-05-31, 02:16 PM
The first campaign I played in was Keep on the Borderlands. I was playing a cleric (who was originally going to be a paladin but didn't have good enough stats to qualify) and a magic-user (who ran out of spells very quickly and ended up being terrible with a sling through most of it). It was some sixteen years ago now, and I unfortunately don't remember most of the details... but I do remember the party tying a bunch of goblins up into a ball and using said ball as a shield. My characters didn't do terribly much, because I was completely new and had little idea what I was doing.

The first campaign I DMed was also 1st edition, but I will say no more of it - it wasn't very well planned out.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-31, 02:20 PM
Killed a group of Cleric assassins, which the DM later admitted was "supposed to kill us". My Crusader would have exploded in viscera if it wasn't for his Healing armor :smallcool: I'm pretty sure my character pushed a bookcase over on one of the assassins.

After eating some d4s from a dart trap, covered it with his Tower Shield to let the rest of the party past.

Teleported into the future without his horse, so he weilded a lance while riding a Motorcycle :smallcool:

Manly Man
2012-05-31, 02:21 PM
My first one that was an actual, book-based game, not just a bunch of baloney thrown together, I was a dwarven cleric. Unfortunately for me, I had also been playing a lot of Streets of Rage earlier that day.

Well, getting into a fight with some orcs at their base, I ended up getting hurt pretty badly. Looking around the place, I spied some soup and thought that, somehow, eating it would restore some hit points. As it turns out, the stuff was poisoned, but I somehow made the save and was, except for the fact that I was laughed at all night, otherwise unhurt.

My first time as a DM, however, went kinda wacky after a few days. My brother wanted to play a phoelarch fighter in a solo campaign, and, after a certain point, figured out how to abuse his death throes and blow up every enemy he couldn't beat to death. Things got ridiculous when he managed to kill off a white dragon in this fashion by jumping into a white dragon's mouth and going straight down into his gullet. Cue medium-rare dragonburger for the surrounding populace.

Dr.Epic
2012-05-31, 03:12 PM
Killed a man over 1 gp.:smallwink:

RandomNPC
2012-05-31, 08:54 PM
My first game, a friend purchased an underdark boxed game not knowing it was just a boxed adventure, thinking it was a full game in and of itself.

Trying to figure it out he's reading stats, Str, 12, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 11.... And I yell "Bingo!"

My first real game I was a halfling wizard, the group was leading an elephant (int 9 wiz 16) ok, they were being lead by an elephant, to find its clans holy symbol. I hid from the desert sun by walking under the elephant, he didn't like that.

My first DMing was kind of goofy, my first real game with plot and all thought out a session ahead of time though, my gamers still bring that up.

Averis Vol
2012-06-01, 12:44 AM
My first campaign was 3.5 and I played a gnome illusionist named Giblet who rode the half orc barbarian in half plate with a tower shield into battle(this was all of our first time playing, I mean the ranger was adding str and dex to attack and damage so we thought rangers were just mad OP) . the most memorable part was probably when I rolled a natural 20 on my bullrush and sparta kicked a troll into the turbulent water that flowed through the city sewers. Yea, good times. :smallbiggrin:

actually, in hindsight, I was the angriest gnome alive due to having to deal with other PC's who insisted on urinating on each other to "get revenge" (and we're all on the upper end of our teens too. :smallannoyed:) so I had to play babysitter and color spray them into oblivion.

ShadowySilence
2012-06-02, 05:04 PM
My first taste of D&D that stuck with me was when I played a quick battle with guys about twice my age at a game shop downtown. It was not meant to be a campaign, just a quick dungeon crawl with pre-made characters.

I played a barbarian gnome, who's name I fail to remember, but he was a bad%#@! :smalltongue: There was an elven wizard, a human fighter, a half-ef ranger, and myself. The cave was full of baddies (some of which waited for us to come to jump out at us, or looked like objects sitting in the cave). We had been hired by the local town elders to see what all the disturbances in the cave were about.

Eventually it turned out all of these creatures were being controlled by a sorceress who was very hard to kill (and at the bottom of the cave in a sort of quasi-shrine to a demon). She had three minotuar guards, but in the end we came out just barely on top.

My most memorable moment in that short adventure was when I saw some weird 4 armed monster down a 20 foot drop and decided I would kill it on my own. I jump the 20 feet, take no damage due to awesome rolls, and then subsequently slaughter the thing (which the DM later told us should have proven to be a pretty big challenge). Not bad for a guy who was only 4 feet tall. :smallcool:

My first time DMing didn't go so well, all the players quit after only a couple of weeks. My newest campaigns have been going pretty nicely though, so things are looking up! :smallbiggrin:

Kaveman26
2012-06-02, 05:15 PM
*The first time I played D&D Elf was your race and your class

*Rogue got a percentage to its climb and pick pocket results each level

And a 19 Str MEANT Something

QuidEst
2012-06-02, 05:22 PM
I played a 3.5 (simplified) Cleric at level one with a bunch of other newbies in a one-shot. There wasn't any roleplaying, and I was a little bored with my small set of spell options on the pre-gen character. I went with Cleric because it was presented as a Wizard who could still hit things when he ran out of spells. XD The lack of leveling, roleplaying, or resting for new spells kind of put me off it for some time.

I was the guy who came up with clever solutions break people's falls down a hole and other things like that. :P

Arcanist
2012-06-02, 07:55 PM
Rolled a diplomacy check... most influential roll I ever made and it sparked my interest in optimization.

t209
2012-06-02, 07:59 PM

So there was a clear, apparent reason. I had gone down into the dungeon to find and kill people with an opposite alignment, and take their stuff. I was with several lawful people who were there specifically to slay chaotic people like me, who had money and magic items, who were all down to 1-3 hit points, and who would very likely attack me if they discovered the truth.

Also, it was 37 years ago. I was young and stupid then.

If your party weren't dumb, I think they would go all on beatdown on you and start you a cold turkey on sword.

Jay R
2012-06-02, 09:14 PM
If your party weren't dumb, I think they would go all on beatdown on you and start you a cold turkey on sword.

Did you read the story? I stabbed each one in the back, and the others had been given reason not to look back, even if they heard a noise.

Furthermore, it was a week or more before the players found out that I had done it.

And no, they weren't dumb. They were all students at a high-level engineering school. But they were very new to the game, and made the very natural mistake of trusting the word of a paladin.

Pyromancer999
2012-06-05, 11:52 AM
First(and only) time as a player: I was a human sorcerer with Draconic Heritage and Draconic Breath feats. It was awesome, and so was I. However, although he didn't say anything about my character other than nerfing my Draconic Breath feat, I was informed months later that the group was not, in fact, taking a couple months break like the DM had told me, but had in fact been playing D&D all along, with the DM having told the rest of the players that he'd decided to kick me out because he didn't like my character and threatened to do the same for anyone who told me.

Still was awesome while it lasted, though.

First time as a DM:.....Let's just say it started with a pantsless dwarf and ended with a player living in a dragon corpse.

Theoboldi
2012-06-05, 12:42 PM
I played a (rather unoptimized) dwarven barbarian. He was relativly useless in combat because of horribly unlucky rolls, but managed to at least hold his weight as a meatshield. Later it turned out that he was only 12 years old in human years because I hadn't read the age-tables for dwarves. I decided to roll along with it, because he already carried around a teddy bear.

3 sessions later, the party got attacked by a few wyrmling dragons. This caused an inter-party conflict, since almost everyone except for two party-members wanted to spare the dragons. Eventually, one of them decided to bullrush me off the ship our party was on, since I was trying to scare the dragons away. I then critted him with my AoO, and dealt maximum damage, killing him in one hit. Afterwards, I rolled a new character as my old one went mad from the guilt and tried to kill the other party-member who had wanted to fight the dragons. He did survive though, and was abondened in the dessert.

He lasted only fairly shortly, and started mostly blank, but the circumstances lead to an interesting characterisation for a my first PC.

Also, one-shotting the guy who tried to bull-rush me became one of the most awesome moments of the campaign, mainly because of how our DM described it and the ensuing RP afterwards.

Loxagn
2012-06-05, 01:18 PM
Mostly I sat in the back doing nothing because someone built a character for me, handed me a sheet, and then failed to tell me at all how to play the game.
My first experience with D&D was not pleasant.

As for the first time I had fun with it, well. That's something else entirely.

I created a Half-elf bard (the one you see now in my avatar, in fact). His name was Rem. We spent most of the first session running from a continent-consuming Darkness-thing, and barely escaped with our lives. It's been a long time, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I seem to remember our ship being boarded by Hobgoblin pirates or something. Obviously, I had enough fun to come back. :B

newBlazingAngel
2012-06-08, 12:41 AM
After initiative, my very first roll of combat, EVER, was a one. It was said.

Also, our elf druids first move is to grapple someone. :smallsigh:

Techwarrior
2012-06-08, 11:05 PM
My very first time playing as a character, that lasted more than one night I rolled up a Human Bard. I had been part of a wealthy merchant family until I told my father that I wanted to be an actor and was kicked out. I essentially pretended I was other classes for the whole game.
The DM said that we had all been sent to another kingdom as emissaries, the king of that kingdom sent us on several missions.
The first night I was pretending to be a Rogue named Glin Sirian, so I got sent off to go find traps and such. When we got to the end of the dungeon I took the runed Plate Armor and Great sword because everyone else was scared of it.
When we got back to town I introduced myself with an entirely different name (Sir Waedlyn Ironfist) and got entered in the knight's tourney, but I was a 2nd ed. Bard, without any kind of combat capability, with a weapon I knew I wasn't proficient in, so I got the first two guys I was supposed to fight drunk so that I could win.
After the tourney I got approached by a scholar who wanted to know where I had gotten such a good replica of the long-dead Overking's armor and sword... I was screwed, but I played it off and traded it for some wizard robes and a spellbook. Then I was Valikesh Frelenye, the magician, for a while.
This continued for several months, I eventually had 6 identities.
The first time somebody looked at me and realized I was a Bard, I was 8th level. We were trying to run away from a kingdom and were trying to take the least expected path. I suggested that we go over the impassible mountains, across the largest desert on the continent, and through the lizardman infested swamps instead of going on one of the roads. The Cleric turned to me and asked "What are you? A Ranger?" I said, "Well if you give me one of those pointy hats and a bow, I'll give it a shot." The whole party stared at me for a while until the Fighter said, "Oh **** you're a Bard."
Sure enough though, I was the one who got sent to calm down the bear...

slaydemons
2012-06-08, 11:38 PM
my first character was the optimizers nightmare in 3.5 at least I think it would of only been worse if I was a truenamer ^^

so I was a half elf samurai (Complete warrior) and my friend an elf fighter.
We were set at night in the middle of the woods, I asked him to keep watch while I get some shut eye as he doesn't need to sleep as much as I

We had a fire go out, the elf left to get more firewood.... as I get attacked by a bunch of small rats... my first character died calling out for help while the elf just ignored me and kept collecting firewood.

then the dm pulled out a deus machina(?) and resurrected me, we then proceed into a dungeon and at the end fight a mummy at one point

I lost all my clothes and had a rusty dagger having nothing better to do with the dagger I scream in character "PIERCE THINE HEART YOU FOWL BEAST." as it rose up from stabbing

it was very tall it threw me against a wall I landed like a boss and proceeded to kill it with my friend and two swords of lightning damage I had somehow gotten.

savorn
2012-06-14, 04:25 PM
thanks guys i had alot of fun reading these first time experiences ive gotten used to the forums now. so if you want to check out my new threads including my homebrew thread which is the one
thanks for posting all these extremely funny posts i had fun lmfao as i read them
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245707 :smallamused:

young_genuis
2013-11-12, 06:55 PM
My first time was when I was 7. Yeah I started a bit young. But I was a Dwarf Fighter with a Greatsword in a homebrewed campaign and lets say I did some stupid stuff and got a very strong Paladin eternally pissed off at me.

Lord Torath
2013-11-12, 09:53 PM
My first character was a dwarf (race and class) that had a flail and a horned helmet (cause the coolest looking mini my brother had looked like that). I honestly can't remember anything he did.

The first character I remember adventuring with was a wizard who (I think) was going to the Isle of Dread with my sister's character and I think one other character. I was quite underwhelmed by the performance of my Magic Missile spell against the giant crabs we were fighting. Everyone knows missiles explode. But these didn't seem to be nearly as effective as the ones on GI Joe (no, not the movie; the Saturday morning cartoon).

My first time DMing, my older brother's character encountered some dead orcs (he had miniatures of those) and a hydra which he ran from. I was probably about 6, and he was 11.

Averis Vol
2013-11-13, 12:29 AM
My first time was when I was 7. Yeah I started a bit young. But I was a Dwarf Fighter with a Greatsword in a homebrewed campaign and lets say I did some stupid stuff and got a very strong Paladin eternally pissed off at me.

My first character was a dwarf (race and class) that had a flail and a horned helmet (cause the coolest looking mini my brother had looked like that). I honestly can't remember anything he did.

The first character I remember adventuring with was a wizard who (I think) was going to the Isle of Dread with my sister's character and I think one other character. I was quite underwhelmed by the performance of my Magic Missile spell against the giant crabs we were fighting. Everyone knows missiles explode. But these didn't seem to be nearly as effective as the ones on GI Joe (no, not the movie; the Saturday morning cartoon).

My first time DMing, my older brother's character encountered some dead orcs (he had miniatures of those) and a hydra which he ran from. I was probably about 6, and he was 11.

Should probably check the time stamp of the last few posts in the future, thread necromancy's bad, mmmkay.

Phoenixguard09
2013-11-13, 06:28 AM
Hmm, first session I ever played...

Well first D&D session anyway, my first game was WFRP. :smalltongue:

I rolled up an elven archer of some description, I don't remember what and then played through the GM's own little dungeon. I don't remember much, except thinking that it was odd that my archery was so effective in such an enclosed space.

I also seem to remember not using the correct dice because I didn't have the necessary ones. (At the time I was an avid Warhammer player and had dabbled in WFRP. So I had many d6's and a handful of d10's and nothing else.)

We had some kind of humanoid bear paladin who was probably more Chaotic Good than Lawful Good, a hillbilly halfling bard and a human witch played by a dude in addition to my elf.

And great fun was had by all really. Looking back on it, I couldn't tell you what made it so good but we were a bunch of friends hanging out after school in Year 8, playing Warhammer usually and then this game along with a few others.

It was just a bunch of mates hanging out after yet another ****house day, shooting the breeze by shooting orcs and later saving countries. And that's the way I want to play. :smallbiggrin:

ElenionAncalima
2013-11-13, 10:52 AM
My first time playing was with another first time player and one supposedly "experienced player". I think I was playing a favored soul.

-The other two players managed to immediatly fail two balance checks and fall into a chasm. The dm took pity on them and gave them temporary character, saying that their old ones could probably be saved.

-The "experienced" player got a rogue as back up...and even though we were new players he decided to play it as the stereotypical, steal your money and stab you in the back rogue. He also decided to set off every obvious trap, because he wanted more combat (even though we were playing during study hall, and every session was only 30 mins).

-In combat he got knocked out immediatley because he shot a bow in melee and provoked attack of opportunity. The only reason he didn't die was because the DM bent the negative hp rules so that he would survive.

-Finally he announced out loud that he was going to mug me. I said that my character looks at his suspiciously (meta, I know, but keep in mind...first time playing I didn't really know anything about concepts like meta-gaming)...which launched him into a tirade against me and the GM that has forever been immortalized at the "I AM AN ACTOR!" speech and quits the game.

-The remaining player and I finished the module in a much more enjoyable fashion, saving their old characters.

lytokk
2013-11-13, 01:28 PM
My first time playing was a level 2 Elf, Ranger/Wizard 3.0 rules, working towards arcane archer. Midway through the game we updated everything to 3.5, so I was forced to take some TWF feats, since I needed the ranged combat style, and my DM said that since I had been fighting with 2 weapons, I needed to take the two weapon feats to make my character complete.

During creation, he told me to put my highest score into INT, since I'll be casting spells. Unfortunately, that meant I turned out to be utter crap in combat since my dex was at 14, but my int was at 18. Really, really bad rolls for scores.

In the end, he got captures by zhents, probably killed. I had seen Drow in the Forgotten Realms setting, and thought "hey, they look cool, I want to play one of those." DMs aren't supposed to tell someone no, but this is one of those situations when he really, really should have. I knew nothing about the drow, or how to play them correctly, while not a super complex race, they were definitely something a person who had been playing for 2 months and never read a single one of the novels should have played.

Still, very fun game, learned a lot about the system, and me and my group still talk about the silly things we did in that game which ended up getting the DM to quit playing entirely.

My first time DMing however was a horrible horrible idea. Players guarding a caravan, where they are ambushed by wood elves, who say "either die, or kill a bunch of other wood elves. We can't cause we're also wood elves and that would be wrong." Thankfully the game smoothed out after that point and really became a lot of fun for everyone, until my brother, one of the players, convinced me that he was going to take over the game and send everyone to Ravenloft, and cause most of the party to go crazy.

Thankfully, I'm a much better DM and player now, and my players are really having some fun in the game I set up for them, though I know they need more treasure, 3 levels and they honestly haven't been in a situation to get anything more than a potion of enlarge person.

Ra_Va
2013-11-13, 01:47 PM
My first time as a player was an unintentional one-shot Evil Adventure, where I was a Aasimar Cleric of Falazure, with a few Necromantic Feats, for some reason I actually really like the D&D 2 Movie, and I liked the idea of an evil Aasimar as i figured it was 'against type'. I did real well but it was a one time thing and I miss that Character.

Subaru Kujo
2013-11-14, 09:28 PM
Well, my first campaign that I DMed was a war between the North (where the original PCs were stationed (part of a military detachment)) and South parts of a continent (and world- there's an Eastern continent that the Explorer's Guild is looking into) called Angvel. The very first thing that happened was a plot against the king that was aimed at discrediting their commanding officer. They had to thwart the plot, and find out who ordered it.

DSmaster21
2013-11-15, 10:28 AM
My Team

Me - Barbarian (Plenty of others but they never really did anything in this fight, I had about 20 feet more movement than them)

Opposing Team

A* - Pyromancer
G* - Magic User
P* - Cleric
J* - Druid
Growl - J*'s bear companion

Long Story

My first session was spent explaining what the classes are and such. Session 2 though, involved my (BFRPG) Lv. 3 (Everyone Else was level 4) Barbarian* in a pvp match to teach me how it works. I figured it out fast when I ran in with my battleaxe (sheathed) and dual hand-axe. I did a handaxe running throw and killed the other half-Team's cleric with a crit on it. Seeing this the other barbarian charged me and I hacked him to bits in the next two rounds with a hand-axe vs his great-axe by activating rage. Seeing this the Druid and his companion ran into a nearby cave casting entangle and pulling his sling out. The magic user uses magic missiles on me but rolls poorly so I still had like +35 HP and don't fall until -21. I nail the magic user with my hand-axe and then pull out my battle-axe and charged the pyro. He died but cast flaming something on the entanglement. The druid surrenders but I was in rage and didn't care so I ran through fiery entangled ground to kill him. The DM asked to wait to try to figure out the speed and damage I should take in the 2-4 turns needed to reach (He always insisted on looking up everything even if its not in the rules and he sucked at finding things in it). I say screw it and roll 3d20s and say that I take that damage and now I reached them. The bear sinks both claws into me and bites me and does a bear hug attack (the bear was a bit op). At this point one of our players arrives and shoots an arrow at the bear and I. I point how dumb an idea this is until he crits and the DM rules he nailed the bear in the head. Of course the bear was more ba than that so my turn I punch the bear in the stomach with both hands and applying my strength killed it (it helped that I was raging and got crits for both). Then I killed the druid with the archer's help and the DM points out that I am raging and there are no threats left so I turn on my friends and start move toward them and got brought down with a flurry of arrows (which annoyed me because I skipped my attempt to break the rage as I moved towards them so that I get a huge bonus on it next turn so I only had to get like an 11 instead of two tries to beat a 15).

*(Rage, Tons of Extra HP 49HP with the ability to fight till -21, and I rolled great DEX,CON and STR but poor mentals)

Gist: I killed lots of people and punched a bear to death before my allies all shot me dead.

FabulousFizban
2013-11-15, 02:09 PM
My 1st time was a good example of players WILL find a way to kill it, even if it doesn't have stats. We were doing a very Lovecraftian Innsmouth kind of session where the townsfolk were all secretly scum & there was an abolteth etc etc.

During a storm that happens early on in the adventure, all the PCs & townsfolk gather in the town lighthouse to weather the storm and are attacked by a massive sea monster. The monster itself was statless but had innumerable tentacles that attacked pcs and npcs alike through the windows of the lighthouse.

Not realizing that this was a "just survive for a predetermined # of rounds" type battle, I figured we'd have to deal with what was out there eventually and to hell with this tentacle nonsense. So I used soften earth and stone several times on the foundations of the lighthouse, turning the rock into clay, which the storm quickly erroded away.

The lighthouse toppled over into the sea, crushing the creature, but also killing the entire village and drowning half the party (as a druid in air elemental wild shape I was fine). The DM had to take a minute after that and the dead players were a bit miffed, but by god I killed that ****ing thing!

FabulousFizban
2013-11-15, 02:19 PM
First time I DM'd was just a straight dungeon crawl. It had an invisible maze full of minotaurs, lava floors, traps activated AFTER the macguffin was recovered, skeletons, a reverse gravity acid pit, and introduced bill the helpful pony and ted the lying horse, who I have used regularly ever since.