PDA

View Full Version : Divine metamagic question. No optimization, no breakage.

Fooliscious
2012-05-29, 05:35 PM
So, I like divine metamagic. It's a fun feat. I know it breaks stuff, but my cleric isn't optimized, and a lot of his abilities are for fun (rune domain!).

My guy has 7 turning attempts with 1 improved turning, and persisted dmm at level 10. Generally he buffs divine favor or righteous might all day, depending on how subtle he's feeling. With so few turning attempts, I thought why not let him burn some higher level spellslots too to maybe give him another persisted spell to cast?

So say for example he prepares Mass lesser vigor as a level 5 spell, instead of a 3, thus requiring only 5 turns instead of 7 needed to burn to finish off the spell. Thoughts? This would give him more persisted lower level spells instead of one big one.

Studoku
2012-05-29, 05:43 PM
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat. As a free action, you can take the energy from turning or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat to divine spells that you know.

DMM doesn't work like that. It doesn't reduce the level increas of the the metamagic- it replaces the way in which you apply it.

Melnir
2012-05-29, 05:45 PM
You can't. You must spend one turn or rebuke attempt, plus an additional attempt for each level increase in the metamagic feat you're using.

eggs
2012-05-29, 05:48 PM
Notice how this gets a character around a potentially difficult* limitation (daily Turn Undead attempts) to allow it to break the game? That's usually a sign that a houserule is not a good one.

*If limitless Nightsticks aren't available, anyway.

Fooliscious
2012-05-29, 05:56 PM
Night sticks are definitely not allowed, and it's still using up more valuable resources then turns(higher spell slots). So for sub op it doesn't seem that problematic. Well aware that's not how it works, was asking for opinions.

animewatcha
2012-05-29, 10:36 PM
Any chance you can ask to tack on a couple of flaws ( late I know, but maybe specific flaws of his choice ) explicitly for Extra Turning feats? Specically, so nothing 'much' changes your character save for being able to persist a couple of more buffs per day.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-29, 10:48 PM
Night sticks are definitely not allowed, and it's still using up more valuable resources then turns(higher spell slots). So for sub op it doesn't seem that problematic. Well aware that's not how it works, was asking for opinions.

I see a Cleric simply using this to persist more spells to unbalance the game even harder than normal. With the ability to Persist even more spells for cheap, you would likely just see more effects to do it with. For two low-level core examples, you have Silence (to shut down enemy casters with very little they can do about it. Cast it on the Rogue's sword and have him go to town.), and Calm Emotions (to potentially end fights before they start; just get your buddies to walk in and out until they make the save, then you have an automatic save-or-lose).