PDA

View Full Version : Ever Find A Diamond of A Game in Unlikely Places?

Hattish Thing
2012-05-29, 07:12 PM
I did! The Spirit Engine must be one of the best Inddie-rpg computer games I have ever played. Truly great. The music is amazing, and the plot is great! Being in the music business, I was stumbling around online to find some inspiration in other music. Well I was browsing this guy named Josh Whelchel's music. I came across this album called Spirit Engine OST. I listened to the tracks, and they were great! So, I then wondered what "Spirit Engine" was, I looked around for a link online, and found that it's a freeware game from 2003. I had some spare time the week after, and downloaded it for the heck of it. I must have played until three in the morning. Great game, great music,. I highly recommend it.

Here's my favorite track from it. 1. Black Magic (http://music.jwmusic.org/track/black-magic-the-spirit-engine-2003)

Also, his site with all the music is right here: http://www.last.fm/music/Josh+Whelchel/The+Spirit+Engine+OST Click Free download to hill the whole songs on VLC Media or whatever. I recommend Spirit flux, Executive Pay, and Omnispirit MAX.

Here's an eaier link to follow and listen to my other favorite; Demonic Rage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5u_UpeWfg

DomaDoma
2012-05-29, 07:39 PM
Well, of all the timely coincidences. Yes, I've found one. It's called Hatoful Boyfriend. It's a dating sim starring pigeons that I read about on Cracked and downloaded because it promised bat**** insanity. Once I got used to the whole dating-birds aspect, I wound up finding myself taking more than half of the arcs seriously to heart, and the really bizarre thing is that in the final arc you unlock, it actually turns out to make sense. (Well, mostly. More than FFVII, which is an accomplishment in a pigeon dating sim where anti-human political firebrands kill you if you have commitment issues, where you do turn-based combat against a final boss under the tutelage of a character who talks like a permanently drug-addled religious nut, and where all but one of your potential love interests is uniquely, fundamentally wrong in the head.)

Rallicus
2012-05-29, 09:34 PM
Totally forgot about Spirit Engine. I played it way back when it was first released and thought it was awesome. The difficulty was just enough so it was frustrating, but not to the point where I gave up. Also I think I chose a fairly bad party layout, but I still managed to beat the game.

I even remember signing up for the forums in anticipation for the sequel, and then immediately leaving once it was announced that it would cost money. I held no grudge against the creator, though. He was about the best indie developer I'd ever seen, and his products actually deserved paid purchase (unlike 90% of the "indie" games released today).

As for the subject: yeah, I guess. Back in the day I used to browse a really obscure french gaming website that would post links to downloadable games, flash games, and other sorts of stuff. I'd say 60% of the time it'd have a virus in the file, which no doubt caused the death of my last computer, but the website itself had a lot of horrible games and a few really awesome ones.

Unfortunately I have a horrible memory, at least when it comes to trivial things like games I've played nearly a decade ago. However, Spirit Engine was, in fact, one of the gems I found on that awful website, and I would have never remembered it had you not made this topic.

Todasmile
2012-05-29, 11:50 PM
According to the website that shows up when you search "The Spirit Engine", TSE2 is now free. So you could play it at last!

Rallicus
2012-05-30, 10:45 AM
According to the website that shows up when you search "The Spirit Engine", TSE2 is now free. So you could play it at last!

Whoah, you're right. Awesome!

I guess this applies to your topic then, singingnoodle. Assuming it's even half as good as the first, I found a diamond of a game in the OOTs forums. :smallbiggrin:

Hattish Thing
2012-05-30, 01:53 PM
I've played it, having bought it weeks ago. It is also very awesome. Though the boss fights are waaaay harder than spirit engine 1. Except for grandfather...It took me weeks to beat him. Plus, the music is not nearly as epic as the first! The graphics are much better though, and the story is great!

Rallicus
2012-05-31, 01:40 PM
Though the boss fights are waaaay harder than spirit engine 1.

It seems like everything is harder, trash mobs included. I also remembered my party layout from SE1, I think. Instead of tank + ranged + healer, I used two gunslingers and a priest. Not sure if it made the game easier or harder, but I beat it nonetheless.

This time around I'm using the generic party layout. Only killed one or two bosses thus far, haven't had too much trouble though.

Dialogue is great, and this scene made me smile (I'm assuming it's a reference to "Nightmare at 20,000 feet"):

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/8380850/img/8380850.jpg

Hattish Thing
2012-06-01, 02:07 AM
Bosses are pretty easy then on. I only had trouble with the crone, ick thelloth, and....I think that's it.

I must say, The Grandfather in spe1 is the hardest boss in both games.