PDA

View Full Version : Hero Points (3.5 reward system, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-05-29, 09:00 PM
For the record: yes I know there are lots of these, yes I've looked them over. I'm attempting to make my own to please everyone at my table, since we can't all agree on a system (I have 3 players and saw 4 systems). Please PEACH, I'd like this to be balanced.

Hero Points
Hero points are a system to reward players for good roleplaying and teamwork at the table. Every character has a maximum pool of 5 hero points plus their character level. Characters start with 1 hero point per level they have, and gain one point every time they level up.

For every session, characters are granted 1 point to hand out on the spot during gameplay (the GM may opt to waive this, keeping all points hidden at his discretion). In addition, they have 2 additional point to hand out secretly through the GM after the session has ended. Players need not hand these points out in a session, but they do not carry over into the next session; unused points are lost.

In addition to this, GMs may grant bonus hero points for exemplary roleplaying. An additional 5 points should also be handed out at the end of any major plotline characters complete successfully.

Finally, have all your players choose at least five minor goals, three major goals and one heroic goal they would like to accomplish. These should be real goals, not “achieve next level” or “learn a specific spell”. Goals such as “become world famous”, “save the world” or “slay my arch nemesis” are good heroic goals, things like “build a new school”, “get married” or “become mayor of a town” are good major goals, and things like “save a lost child”, “defend a town” or “create a new spell (create, not take)” are good minor goals. Essentially, the harder and more long term a goal, the more points it should award. Minor goals completed will earn you 1 points, major goals 5 points, and heroic goals will earn you a paragon point. A paragon point may be spent at any time to gain max hero points. DMs should discuss goals with their players to guarantee that set goals are worth the amount of points they will earn.

1 point:
Reroll one attack, save or skill die before the result is announced

Grant yourself a +1 bonus on a single attack, save or skill before the result is announced

Automatically stabilize yourself when between 0 and -10 HP (you still die at -10)

Gain a +2 bonus on a single damage die (be it from a spell, power, SLA, attack, or what have you)

2 points:
Reroll one attack, save or skill die after the result is announced

Grant yourself a +1 bonus on a single attack, save or skill after the result is announced

Assume max damage on a single damage die (be it from a spell, power, SLA, attack, or what have you) before you roll for damage

Buy one skill point for any skill; cannot have more than standard max ranks

Gain +1 HP at your next level up

Gain a +1 bonus to AC for 1 minute

3 points:
Recall one spell you just cast; treat it as if the spell slot was never expended

Gain one use in a class ability with a limited number of uses (such as Smite Evil, Turn Undead or Stunning Fist)

Gain an additional swift action this round

4 points:
Increase the save DC of one ability or spell you use by 1 for a single use of that ability

Gain an additional move action this round

5 points:
Gain a +1 natural armor bonus to AC at your next level up

Gain 500 EXP

Gain an additional standard action this round

7 Points:
Pick one skill; treat it as always a class skill from now on

Reduce the price to craft a single item (in time, gold and EXP) by 5%

Gain an additional full round action this round

10 points:
Gain a new feat at your next level up

Gain enough power points to manifest your highest know power once at your next level up

Learn a new spell or power at your next level up

Permanently increase the save DC of one ability or spell you have by 1

15 points:
Gain one new spell slot of any level up to the highest you know at your next level up

Permanently increase one ability score by 1

20 points:
Gain one level of Badass substitution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118689)

Swap one class level you have for a level in another class (so Monk 15 would become Monk 14/another class 1)

Gain SR equal to 10 plus your character level, or improve your current SR by your character level (can only be taken once)

25 points:
Gain a template that has LA+1 or less, and ignore the LA

137beth
2012-06-04, 04:11 PM
So for 10 points, I can either get a second turn...once, or I can permanently gain a new feat, or other significant permanent bonus...or I can permanently increase my natural armor by 2? Seems rather expensive for one extra turn in one encounter:smallannoyed:

Noctis Vigil
2012-06-05, 09:10 AM
Lowered it slightly, how's it look now?

Also remember that you can get these points fairly quickly; I had one game where someone got 5 points in one session (4 from players, 1 from GM (me)).