PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranger/Sorc Gestalt help

Ravenica
2012-05-29, 11:35 PM
So a little background exposition. We are essentially playing a colonization campaign in a new world, with no way back. We are supposed to have at least 3 knowledge/craft/profession skills so we can contribute in more than just combat prowess and possibly supply our own gear if necessary. Profession skills will be used for harvesting raw materials (mining, woodcutting, stone cutting, herbalism ect). Knowledge local and history are fairly useless due to the unkown world factor. We must be human. Because of the skill requirements we are allowed the class skill ranks from both skills.

We will be starting at 3rd level.
Starting Gold is equal to max for class plus WBL max for 2nd level. (1300 in my case) 1 single item worth up to half, everything else max half of that.
Books allowed: Pathfinder Core, Advanced Players, Inner Sea Magic, Inner World Guide, Adventurers Armory, Ultimate Magic, and Ultimate Combat.
Stats are point buy (25 points)

My Concept: A quiet unassuming wildneress expert navigator, explorer and cartographer. Spells will mostly be for buffing, with a little bit of firepower all around the lone survivalist theme.
My Dilema: I decided which classes and basic concept easily enough but I'm having trouble deciding on archetypes and bloodlines. I'm favoring Falconer, Trophy Hunter (problematic due to crafting difficulties i think) and Shapeshifter for ranger archetype and Vanilla Sorc with draconic, elemental, or starsoul for bloodlines, a crossblooded starsoul/draconic, or a wildblooded primal.

Magical crafting will be very difficult to the point of nearly impossible so wizards aren't as practical, especially with limited magical sources to steal spells from :smallyuk:
The GM does allow for independant research for all spellcasting classes (1 week per level of spell for wizards with 0 level counting as 1 and going up from there, double that or worse for other classes) with associated costs usually ad-libbed but fairly reasonable. With material components either actually having to be sought out most expensive costing spells will be impractical. Eschew Materials will be king :smallcool:

edit: added some details about gear and attributes

deuxhero
2012-05-29, 11:45 PM
Eschew materials? Try False Focus (Razmiran Priest trades Eschew Materials for it and is a crazy broken archetype, though less broken in a limited magic items campaign where you can't just buy 1 charge wands of 4th level Paladin spells). In exchange for adding a divine focus, you can ignore up to 100 GP (equal to the value of the symbol) in material and focus costs. Fabricating from nothing will make you king in a setting without scarcity of mundane goods, in your campaign, it will make you a god.

You can also replace Sorc with Summoner and be a detective who is the go-to for the supernatural

For bloodline... Sylvian is off the table because of how Gestalt works (getting it through Eldritch Heritage however, will give you (Ranger-3+[Character level-5]) effective druid level. Too cheesy for all but TO campaigns.

Empyreal and Sage make you more SAD, but you want to be charisma based if you are going the Razmiran Priest option. If you aren't using its crazy UMD dependent abilities, they are OK.

Seeker gets your trapfinding if you don't have it in exchange for Eschew Materials (which you may be redundant if you picked up False Focus as a feat)

Ravenica
2012-05-29, 11:55 PM
Heh Other than somewhat clashing with concept thats not a bad idea, and there's nothing restricting that feat from being selected without the Archetype either so I might just take the feat so I don't suffer the rest of the changes heh

Ok took a look and Wildblooded and Empyrean are definately the way I want to go.