PDA

View Full Version : Strange Fortune (OOC)



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jm_jazzman
2012-05-30, 03:58 AM
Welcome, friends!

This is the "out of character" thread for our game. We talk about the game here, and the game itself will be in another thread that I will create soon.

For those of you who have not used this forum before, please check out this thread regarding dice rolls: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917

Please remember that you shouldn't edit any post you make that contains a die roll, editing will void the roll result.

Also, check out spoiler tags.
It's usually cool to use these in the game thread for dice rolls or "OOC" asides so that the flow of the game isn't interrupted with technical stuff.

So, here's some world-building for you.

Map of the region: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B60rXwbJEJulZ041cXBrc1p3RzQ

This map represents your characters' extents of geographical knowledge. In fact, it represents just about the maximum extent of most people living within its bounds. These lands are called The Known Realms (it is generally understood that there is a world beyond, and that other far-off and exotic kingdoms exist somewhere out there... but they're probably busy dealing with monsters and savages all the time). These lands are very isolated, and dealings with true outsiders are rare. That said, these lands are also huge. There is no way that any of your characters have been to most of the areas covered by this map, or know much about them other than the fact that they supposedly exist.

Also, most people in these lands don't understand magic. They think they know what it is, but it's all really just superstition and voodoo. Those who do practice real magic can be found, but for every one of those you will find a handful of fakes who claim they're the real deal.

The kingdoms of the east are primarily the realms of humans. They are:

Caspria – Both the kingdom and its great capital city share this name, famous for its impossibly high towers, aqueducts, ocean-spanning bridge. Caspria is the gateway to the west, and boasts a disciplined army as well as a history of inventive architects. Caspria is home to all descriptions of people, but the greatest populations there are humans and gnomes. Caspria controls the region known as The Ettin, west of the Kingspeak Mountains.

Helmos – The sea-faring people of Helmos are famous for their food and entertainment, as well as their great white tower that watches over the sea. This island-based kingdom has historically had to defend itself several times from Casprian invasions, but for as long as living memory serves the two have co-existed peacefully as trade partners. There are many folk of elven decent in Helmos, especially in South Helmos on the mainland.

Beävella – The land of wine, poetry, romance, and the most famous horse-mounted knights. Beävellais are known for taking matters of history, ceremony, and honour very seriously.

Seybria – A fiercely independent island nation with a reputation for their competitiveness and refusal to ever ask for help. They boast a large army and great fleet of ships, and are considered the best sailors in the Known Realms. Every year they host a great athletic tournament, so that the fittest and most skilled people in all the lands can come and be beaten by their better Seybrian counterparts.

Bruvos – Famous for its statues and riverboats. Bruvos is a kingdom that built its strength on the riches they acquired through trade. Bruvens consider themselves well-educated and well-travelled. Bruven coins are accepted at face value well beyond the borders of their lands.

Ayolo – An exotic kingdom hidden high in the Ayol mountains. It is said that the people of Ayolo can climb like spiders, are impervious to the cold, speak to each other across valleys using great horns as signals, and defend the Known Realms from the monsters and barbarians that live beyond the mountains in the Dunnluns

Other places:

Wettonbend - A great town that is frequented by travellers because of its central location. It is currently ruled by the kingdom of Bruvos, but has been captured several time by Beävella and Seybria in old wars.

Tasperia – Little is known of this place other than a common expression "Only the librarians of Tasperia know!" or "Not even the librarians of Tasperia know". The common myth is that the Great Library of Tasperia is some magic place where all the knowledge in the world is kept in secret. Also home to the Tasperian Falls... just a giant waterfall, really. Probably a wonder of the world.

Hilmerone – The lands of Hilmerone are filled with halflings. These folk generally keep to themselves and don't think much of strangers.

The Great Dragon River – This river is said to be as wide as an ocean and swift as a deer. Little is known about the strange lands beyond its distant southern shore.

Lingwold Forest – A great expanse of wilderness that famously takes a fortnight to pass through. It is said that elves and wild things inhabit this forest, and that travellers have been known to get hopelessly lost in the woods and never emerge again. Supposedly, if one knows where to look, they can find the remains of the Old Kingsroad which will take them safely from Lake Lingwater to the southern tip of the Kingspeak Mountains.

The Upper Sea - Doesn't really go anywhere. It's just closed off by ice in the north (and the Dunnluns to the east). There may be an ice kingdom up there. Or maybe just trolls. Lots of trolls.

The Inner Sea – Goes south until you reach the Kraken's Teeth, which will shred any ship to splinters.

The Kingdoms of the west:

Gombil – A kingdom of gnomes. They build impenetrable castles, towers, and keeps, as well as secret cities hidden from the eyes of outsiders.

Buckland – a kingdom of halflings, whose mounted archers ride upon armoured ponies

Ellgrig Forest – Elves live here, maybe?

Aeti
2012-05-30, 03:32 PM
Exciting! Even changed my avatar to a more wizard-y woman more keeping in character! (Also so people can know which character I'm playing at a glance)

Big strapping man using a girly avatar, shows how damn confident I am in myself.



For those of you who have not used this forum before, please check out this thread regarding dice rolls:

Orrrr even people who have played before and should know it, but don't, because who remembers that sort of thing.

Character:
Valette the eeevvilllll Necromancer Wizard

Valette is a thin, pale wizard of average height. Her hair is black as a sealed tomb, and many thin silver scars cover her back and shoulders from the lash of a whip. These are not apparent as she keeps them covered at all times, from shame and fear of recognition. She walks with a slight limp on her left leg. Her eyes are a cold, piercing blue, and she rarely smiles. When she does smile, something unpleasant is happening to someone else.

Backstory
As the only daughter of a prosperous merchant, Valette grew up pampered and fond of expensive pastimes. Her father paid for singing lessons, and she gathered a reputation in her town of Wettonbend for her beautiful voice.
Always ambitious, Valette grew fascinated by the arcane powers displayed by wizards who occasionally passed through her hometown. After much pleading, her father agreed to pay her tuition for magical training at the magical university Tasperia. She did not excell at her studies as she could have, being too fond of lazing about and gossiping than working late in the library, but her marks were good and she had a promising future.
At the end of term, when students were finding partners for the Wizards Ball, she spurned the Duke of Wettonbend's son, Nattson Farstaff and laughed in his face. Shamed and angered, Nattson hired some thugs to kidnap Valette the night before the Ball. He tied her up,
whipped her, and left her to be killed by his men. Valette survived and fled back to her father, but arrived to find he had been killed, his business ruined and nothing left of her childhood home but ashes. Blaming Nattson for his murder, penniless Valette became a mercenary-for-hire, to gather the funds and arcane might needed to kill Nattson and have her vengeance. She has sworn to destroy the entire Farstaff family and everyone who gets in her way.

She is ambitious and vengeful, but I'm going to be making the effort to be a good party member with her character so don't worry about how evil she is!

Unless you're a paladin.

Shakedown
2012-05-31, 02:55 PM
I managed to dig up my account from the last time we tried to do this (in high school!) so I suppose I will go next:

My character:

Jacinth, Half-Elf Bard

Hair: Brown
Eyes: Black
Skin: Medium
Age: 22
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Jacinth's parents are both half-elves. Her father was an all-around sneaky dude, and her mother Nieves was the disgraced heir to a wealthy and powerful merchant house. When Jacinth was five Nieves found out that her half-siblings were dead and she had re-inherited the family business. She left, promising to come back for them, but either she went back on that or Jacinth's father never took her up on it. They then moved to Beavella where he took up a new identity, a bard named Riordan, and started telling stories about a rogue whose exploits were modeled after his own. A combination of his restlessness and need to hide from enemies he'd made meant they moved a lot throughout her childhood, changing identities frequently, as he taught her bardy/espionnage skills and continued to spread stories about his fictional counterpart.
For the past five years, they've lived in Helmos. Jacinth and Riordan have a good relationship, but since he's a silver-tongued genius and famous as both a bard and a character, Jacinth feels she'll be in his shadow as long as they live and travel together. She also wants to find out what happened to her mother, and what her father really got up to before (and quite probably after) she was born.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 06:03 AM
Could you send me an updated character sheet for Jacinth? Thanks!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 05:39 PM
Game thread is up, you can find a link at the bottom of this post in my signature.

lando_zeus
2012-06-01, 07:06 PM
I'm a first time player so I hope you guys have a bit of patience for me :). I'm going to do my best to be the party's tank.

Thårin Ondesson (Dwarf fighter)

Hair: Dark red
Eyes: Dark green
Skin: Medium, weathered.
Age: 75
Alignment: Chaotic good

Born underground in a keep in the North Mountains. Learned how to handle weapons and armour from father, and was a member of a group of soldiers who would accompany trade expeditions to Buckland, Gombil, and Caspria. Was able to do some minor trading on the side during these expeditions, and decided to leave the home keep to explore the land and attempt to recover valuables from wherever possible in order to trade.

*Not very dramatic, so there.

Jessica1990
2012-06-01, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your contribution .

Aeti
2012-06-01, 07:10 PM
Welcome aboard! And there's nothing wrong with a lack of drama! We can't all be half-dragon angels orphaned by a mustached villain who lives in a volcano. For one thing, we'd run out of volcanos pretty quickly, unless it was just one villain who kept very busy.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:11 PM
Cool. I'ma let you guys just roleplay for a bit until our last 2 players find themselves here. (Or until they take too long and I have them killed off. Bwahahahaha).

Shakedown
2012-06-01, 07:19 PM
It looks like we have 4 people in the ooc thread? Is someone playing the dogs and if so, rofl.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure who this Jessica is.
Someone may possibly be playing a dog.

Aeti
2012-06-01, 07:39 PM
Making a die roll then editing to see if editing a post with a roll will void the result!
[roll0]

La la la. And yep we can edit stuff in as long as we don't mess with the roll, I think.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:39 PM
Oh wow, I guess they fixed that since I was last here.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:44 PM
Shakedown: Jacinth wouldn't have met Duke Natt Farstaff, but I'll let you decide how to react to the question... keeping in mind that there are probably several dukes around, and Valette wasn't very specific.

lando_zeus
2012-06-01, 07:44 PM
Hey James, for clarification, these are cages not cells yes, so these iron bars don't run into the ground and the wall, right?

Aeti
2012-06-01, 07:45 PM
Oh I know Jacinth wouldn't have met the Duke, but Valette doesn't. She'd think it was pretty unlikely to have TWO unrelated jerks imprison her independently of each other.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:46 PM
I should have been more specific, they are more like cells with bars planted into the stone in the floor and ceiling. I'll edit my post in the game.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:49 PM
Haha, fair enough. Just making sure any confusion is avoided.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-01, 09:32 PM
Hi all, sorry I'm late. Not a first time player, but using the forum will take some getting used to...

An extraordinary dog to say the least. Inquisitive silver eyes are set in a black face with a left white eye patch complimented by pointed, partially folded ears. A cream coloured stripe runs along the underside of his body while a white sock colours his rear right paw. Once a domesticated pet, his acquisition of highly unusual mental traits have made him notorious in his own community and drew particular interest from local Druids, who are rumoured to have taught him their ways. Superstition and religion have caused mixed feelings around sightings of the animal. Most think nothing of the strange behavior, though for a brief time feelings of paranoia were magnified somewhat when a local priest walked in on the dog supposedly reading one of his tomes. Lastly, his neck is adorned with a leather collar with the word "Whiskey" inscribed- a given name, presumably. This strange dog is normally accompanied by a larger dog, a husky with no especially distinguishing features other than its stalwart loyalty to him.

Aeti
2012-06-01, 10:31 PM
It's such a shame your companion dog isn't fat. Then you'd have Whiskey's musky husky husky.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-01, 10:51 PM
Hah.

Gonna try out a roll inside of a spoiler tag

[roll0]

Aeti
2012-06-01, 11:01 PM
also trying something
[roll0]

yusss. So you can write roll=(text you want in bold) instead of just roll, and leave /roll as normal, to make your check appear right there.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-01, 11:11 PM
Copying what Aeti just did..

[roll0]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 11:18 PM
You catch your tail so hard.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-01, 11:38 PM
Yeeeeooouch

Aeti
2012-06-01, 11:38 PM
Can anyone remember how to bookmark a page so that it takes me to the most recent post?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 11:40 PM
Also, just a technical note: Bluff checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/bluff.htm) and opposing sense motive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/senseMotive.htm) checks against other players are perfectly valid if you guys really want to use them against each other, just make sure that you roll them when needed and I won't even have to get involved in determining if the bluff is believed or suspect. Diplomacy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/diplomacy.htm) verses other players can work too.

Gather Information (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/gatherInformation.htm) isn't really applicable in this situation, though. That's more for canvassing a crowd or population for tidbits of information. I suppose it could be used against specific characters under some circumstances, but it doesn't really make sense vs another player character in direct conversation where they have full control over what their character says... I guess if they're fine yielding to a successful roll and their character doesn't have their guard up or suspicions/other reasons to be careful about what they say then it's all good. But yeah, this one can get complicated when it's against other players.

Aeti
2012-06-01, 11:42 PM
Especially because Valette is definitely suspicious, so I just chose to ignore that roll and left it up for the DM if he wanted to reveal anything.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 11:43 PM
Aeti: check out the links in my signature. The &goto=newpost tag at the end of the URL is the magic ticket.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 11:48 PM
I'm off for now, will probably check back later tonight. Just heard from our final player, he'll be with us soon.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 12:16 AM
Okay, bit late to the party by the looks of things. Also first time player, but familiar with the general mechanics of things.


Sam Cobbleson, Human Rogue
Age: 24
Height: 6'00"
Weight: 185 lb
Hair: Light Brown
Eyes: Brown
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Sam didn't want to make shoes for a living. Unlike his great-grandfather, grandfather, and father, he had strong mischievous tendencies*. He was raised by his father and grandfather, his mother disappeared when he was a toddler under mysterious circumstances.

He would work long days for his family making shoes, but he never quite got the knack for it. Sam was given the simpler tasks in the shop; fetching leather, handing out flyers in the town square in his home town of Wettonbend, and creating sales contracts with shops in other towns and cities in the area. After each day of his apprenticeship, Sam would run off into the forest to practice his archery into the setting sun. He would spend hours firing arrows at the silhouettes of small creatures against the waning sun.

One day while on his business travels, Sam met a young girl in the nearby city of Beävella. They had a whirlwind romance in his few days spent there, which culminated with him asking for her hand in marriage. Unfortunately, her father was a nobleman in the town and, because of Sam's common status, asked for an exorbitant bride price for his daughter's hand. Unable to pay the fee, Sam left town that night; but he never went home.

Sam gave up the family business and disappeared from his past life. He was determined to pay the small fortune asked by the nobleman, by nearly any means necessary. He became a traveling thief. "Not a bandit," he always clarifies. "Bandits are oafish thugs. Thieves have some honour, even in their misdoings." His exploits are not always criminal though, he has been known to attend festivals in disguise to enter archery contests, and can occasionally be found doing trick shots for some spare coin.


*(It was rumoured that somewhere along the line, one of his mother's ancestors got a little too friendly with a sorcerer's imp familiar; but those claims are unproven).

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 12:27 AM
Awesome.

Another technical note I should mention: Everyone please check your PDF sheet and make sure that you've manually entered your DEX modifier into the box of the same name next to your defense/AC score (It should do this automatically, but doesn't).

Aeti
2012-06-02, 12:38 AM
Valette isn't just talking to Jacinth with that last comment btw, it's an opening for everyone to introduce yourselves if your character is so inclined, so we don't have to shout things like DWARF! GET OVER HERE!
HUMAN MALE! Hold that door!

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 12:47 AM
Should have tried this out before attempting it in the game thread...

[roll0]

Aeti
2012-06-02, 02:56 PM
Btw James, my bat has blindsense 20ft, so depending on how big the room is, he could have been alarmed as well.
Not that that would help very much atm. "Hmm my bat feels worried" but in the future maybe!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 04:05 PM
Ah, yes. Sorry, the bat totally slipped my mind. Way down at the bottom of the sheet. I'll make sure that doesn't get forgotten again.

Aeti
2012-06-02, 04:41 PM
He's easy to forget! I haven't even introduced him ingame yet. Maybe he's outside? But for the sake of convenience he's hiding in my sleeve.

Also, fellow awesome party-mates, please don't be mad when Valette sits out this fight, if it is a fight, because she has no spells. Turns out if you don't re-memorize spells after you sleep you don't get anything... and she's spent a few days being memory-lossed and nightmare'd of some sort. Not keeping up with her studies. At the moment she's equivalent to a level 1 commoner.:smalleek:

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 10:05 PM
Dodge, could you use the spoiler tags for your non-character talk? kthx. Ps, Dodge, are you Tom H.?

Such as item collection and thoughts? I will in the future, and I was using italics because Aeti did for internal dialogue.

Ps. Yes.

lando_zeus
2012-06-02, 10:08 PM
Hey man it's Nic B. I just meant if it was you talking and not your character. I guess I just couldn't tell. Schwhatever.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 10:12 PM
Hhhhinteresting: http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/science/chemistry/shanghai-noon

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 10:18 PM
I thought of that reference earlier on in thinking how to get out of this cage (pre-search), but I decided that my character has a bit more class than pissing on his shirt.

It could work with this rag, but I have nothing to use as the stick bit.

Edit: Also, we don't know what's on this rag. It could be an acid or something that makes the cloth weaker. Though I suppose that I would still be able to keep the scraps for a clue, instead of the entire piece.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 10:21 PM
Might make everything less confusing too if characters are all written in third-person. Then there should be no issue distinguishing between character and player (first person), even if formatting is forgotten.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 10:24 PM
Haha, I didn't even think of that with the rag. That'sthe fun of this, having you guys get creative.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 10:29 PM
Third person for in-character it is. I shall edit any posts accordingly.

And as far as what Aeti and I were doing with thoughts - should those be spoiler tagged (because technically the other players can't hear it) or are italics cool (because technically we're in character)?

(semantics) And, if italics are fine, then talking in first person in them should also be fine because it's the character talking to him/herself. Correct?

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 10:30 PM
Ah **** I can't escape artist my way out anyways, I'd have to roll a 30 :(.

I'll pee on my shirt if you guys find a stick, I don't have class. I'm just worried that my character won't be strong enough. I can probably then get out of my cell and bust you guys out.

Is the dog small enough to fit through the bars? It could at least bring stuff back and forth, or search the room.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 10:39 PM
We have the possibility of metal strips now. We could try giving them to our strongest character (I'm assuming it's Tharin) or I have a chunk of points in Use Rope that may be applicable. (Ruling on that, James?) Or we could both try it, seeing as how we have multiple shirts in case one breaks.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 10:43 PM
Depending on how far the torch is from my cell, I thought I could use the metal strips to pull it over. If i can get the torch into my cell I could probably do it, it's five feet tall which affords a lot of leverage. I just have no idea what action that would fall under.

ugh now I have a headache from squeezing my head through the window

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 10:45 PM
If you can't - try throwing them to Aeti. She seems to be closest to the torch stand.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-02, 10:48 PM
I keep forgetting about this thread :\.
As for internal dialogue, I'm comfortable enough with it because it adds flavour. I don't think it's really an issue so long as it's in character. I'm also for using the third person, and explicit use of your character's name, especially mine since Whiskey can't speak.

@Shakedown: It's borderline but Whiskey is still a bit too big to squeeze through the bars.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 10:48 PM
Third person for in-character it is. I shall edit any posts accordingly.

And as far as what Aeti and I were doing with thoughts - should those be spoiler tagged (because technically the other players can't hear it) or are italics cool (because technically we're in character)?

(semantics) And, if italics are fine, then talking in first person in them should also be fine because it's the character talking to him/herself. Correct?

Yeah, italics in first person is perfect for character's thoughts. Anything storytelling-wise should be visible in the thread, it's just rolls, rules, technicalities, and OOC stuff that should be in spoilers.


Ah **** I can't escape artist my way out anyways, I'd have to roll a 30 :(.

Is the dog small enough to fit through the bars? It could at least bring stuff back and forth, or search the room.

Yeah, I just looked that up too. I love that you actually tried squeezing your head through a six-inch space though, major bonus points for that.

Whiskey is a small dog, so he could probably wiggle his way out on a decent roll because it would be a lower DC (difficulty class) for him.

Another technicality: If you don't mind taking a long time to do something, you can "take 10" or "take 20" on certain skills, basically just very slowly and carefully working at it to make sure you get the same result as rolling a 20 (or it could be trying over and over, the equivalent of sitting there rolling your die until you get a 20 if there's no penalty for failing and it makes sense that you can keep trying). It's not something you can do in a combat situation, or if you're otherwise distracted or in a hurry, but escape artist is one that this can apply to. So in the future, check if you can take 20 on certain skills if you have time to spare.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 10:56 PM
We have the possibility of metal strips now. We could try giving them to our strongest character (I'm assuming it's Tharin) or I have a chunk of points in Use Rope that may be applicable. (Ruling on that, James?)
I'd say that once you know what you're doing it's probably just a straight-up matter of strength rather than having any particular skill with rope (although the idea for using this trick in the first place could possibly be spawned from a successful Use Rope check for figuring out some way to break cell bars using rope).



If you can't - try throwing them to Aeti. She seems to be closest to the torch stand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq0rXwbJEJuldGdfWGktVTJtbVdMOFdaT2cwUzN2Z 1E

Here's a map of the room, to clear up any confusion. The "w" represents Valette's bat so that I don't forget it, the "o" marks the free-standing torch.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 11:03 PM
Ah, that was a mistake on my part. Forgot that Valette is human, not the half elf. In which case, please do not throw the sconce bits to her.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 11:18 PM
The ability to squeeze her head between the cell bars affords Jacinth just enough reach to get a firm hold on the ruined sconce and wrench it from the wall.


thanks for the shout-out bro

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 11:22 PM
Shakedown: I was going to give you that cloth - at lando's irl request - but I was busy and didn't post about it. lol sorry.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 11:25 PM
It's ok, it'll be good to keep it so we can find out what drugs we were on.

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 12:43 AM
Test

[roll0]

Aeti
2012-06-03, 12:54 AM
Wow, dwarves get a pretty big racial mod to beard eating, huh?

Aeti
2012-06-03, 01:02 AM
"What do you all remember?"

They came as I rested.. figures cloaked in mist, clouding my thoughts.. blurring the line between consciousness and dreaming! There was no malice, or hatred, no mention of an old score, only quick capture, and the promise of grim deeds to come..

Damn damn damn I should have started my first post with "Wake up! Wake up you, we've got to get out of here!"
Imoen is the greatest.

For those who don't get the reference, it's how Baldurs Gate II started, at 1:50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9N9ddsKg8

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 01:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ&feature=related
I can't believe this didn't even cross my mind when I was designing this character.

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 01:37 AM
YES! Best show ever!!!! I totally sing the theme song to myself sometimes.

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 01:38 AM
lando zeus is singing along to that right now

oh and now he's playing it again

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 01:59 AM
=3
There's a voice that keeps on calling me
Down the road that's where I'll always be
Every stop I make, I make a new friend!
Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again!

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-03, 02:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1FCDCiosk

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 06:01 AM
Oh, another technical point: All of your characters (except Whiskey) are qualified to be multilingual. Any non-human players get a racial language on top of common (so Thårin speaks Dwarven, Jacinth speaks Elven, and Whiskey would speak dog if that were an actual language... I'll say he can communicate as well with dogs as any other dog could). Additionally, you get one bonus language per Intelligence Bonus at first level.

So, Thårin and Jacinth each get to choose a third language, Sam gets two more, and Valette gets 3 more.

Here are some languages you can choose from. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/speakLanguage.htm

Aeti
2012-06-03, 10:56 AM
Where on the pdf do we write our languages down?
Common, Infernal, Draconic, Gnome are Valette's.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:52 AM
I'd just put them under special abilities, there's lots of room there.

Aeti
2012-06-03, 12:25 PM
So what does Jacinth find in the backpack? I don't think anyone's going to do anything else; dwarf is busy using our escape tool and Mr Rogue and Valette are still uselessly locked away.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 01:04 PM
I hear you, but you're going to have to wait a couple hours to find out (sorry!). On my way to a rehearsal right now.

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 10:42 PM
God Damnit James

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 10:57 PM
Ugh and I was totally going to hand it off to Valette too but then I got curious. Jams, is this because you didn't like my poster? I can make a different poster!

Aeti
2012-06-03, 10:59 PM
Massive wall of text that you'll have to remember your characters don't know, but I'm sharing with you, the players!

DM EMAIL:

I'm about to give you some more background stuff for the sake of plot.

The headmaster of the Tasperian Academy of Magical Arts is known as The Grand Librarian of Tasperia. Currently, the Grand Librarian is a bespectacled old gnome named Grand Librarian Roondar Boddynock Bagockle Zim Hallinmally Bardnab Turen-Nackle Nardbig (It is commonly known that he prefers to be called Roony by his close friends... but he won't say who those people are, and demands to be addressed by his full title by everyone else), and he has been the Grand Librarian of Tasperia for the past 372 years (and counting!). He has a reputation around the academy of being a bit... odd. He pulls pranks on staff member and students indiscriminately, and he will spend weeks on end attempting to master utterly pointless talents such as being able to perfectly recite the great Elven ballads from memory... syllabically backwards. But he doesn't really get in the way of any of the day-to-day operations of educating young magic-makers and the research done by great minds in the library and archives, and he would never allow the slightest bit of harm to come to anyone, so the rest of the staff tolerate him and treat him with the respect due to any old and once-great wizard. "Don't let you mind believe your eyes, and never let your eyes believe your mind!" is his favourite phrase, often spoken at times when it seems entirely irrelevant. He would often say it to students passing him in the corridors of the academy, as if telling young children "stay out of trouble, now!". His makes liberal use of his personal seal, a strange character or symbol that nobody seems to know what meaning it holds (he claims it's a stylized letter "R"). Although he uses this symbol so frequently that some who don't know better assume it is the seal of the Academy, the Grand Librarian takes offence to this notion and is happy to educate the misinformed that it belongs solely to him (he's very possessive of it).

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:01 PM
also I like that apparently we can write fire**** but other swears might not work. Testing! ****, ****, bitch, crap, ass

hmm how did you get "Unending fireexcrement" to work?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:06 PM
It's an image :smallwink:

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:11 PM
Either I'm wrong, and it could really be a horrible hex and we need a cleric, or Valette needs to be holding the note...
..........
...Reeally don't want to hold the note.

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:32 PM
k I'm in a bit of a bind here. Valette would just snap the mouse's neck, and I'm pretty sure we need that mouse, so unless something interesting happens soon you should probably make a Diplomacy roll for convincing her not to do that.

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 11:48 PM
wait i just rolled 25 for diplomacy! save me from the ass diseeeaaase

ugh i don't know I rolled for it and it said [roll0], but now it says 17, anyways I assume that's high enough for a little bit of diplomacy at least.

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:51 PM
Yeah seriously thank goodness you did that!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-04, 12:31 AM
I'm off for the night, I'll get to the contents of the box tomorrow.

Aeti
2012-06-05, 01:39 AM
I assumed the book was a spellbook, if it wasn't then I'll change my post!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-05, 05:04 AM
It was indeed your spellbook.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-05, 06:30 AM
I have added a "MAP" link in my signature that shows your immediate surroundings and what you can see. It'll become pretty important during combat and similar situations. I will probably not keep it updated at other times though, as it's a bit of a pain. I'll strive to keep everything as a clear as possible with text rather than having to rely on this all the time.

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 01:29 AM
Can we all do heal checks on Tharrin, and are there any limitations to them (like once per day or whatever)? Because if there can only be one, Valette should do it as my wisdom modifier is 0. Or the dog, do Druids do healing? My point is, we seem to be a pretty squishy party and i ****ed up a lot when building my character and will die very quickly without Tharrin as a shield.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 01:33 AM
I suppose everyone can make a check. It's probably one that I would roll behind the scenes though because your character can't really know how effective it is until they see the results paying off (or not) hours later.

Valette and Whiskey should both have some magic healing capabilities too, which is far more effective.

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 01:47 AM
I like to imagine that while valette read her book the rest of us just spent the hour like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiV7M8Llkxo

Aeti
2012-06-06, 10:24 AM
Haha, especially fitting because we don't have any tea, so we just sit around with empty teacups.


Valette ... should have some magic healing capabilities too.

Umm Wizards don't get healing spells. I think you meant Jacinth. Bards, druids, clerics get those on their spell list.

What spells did everyone else pick, btw?
Valette's Spellbook(I have it written down, but here it is once for James):
0- all
1st - Death's Call(necr), Identify(div), Ray of Enfeeblement(necr), Cause Fear(necr), Obscuring Mist(conj), Unseen Servant


Usual spell list:
0th: Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Acid Splash and Necromancer bonus Disrupt Undead
1st:Unseen Servant, Ray of Enfeeblement and Necromancer bonus Cause Fear

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 04:32 PM
Yes, true. Wizards.

Andrew, if you could post Whiskey's spell list here that would be awesome. Both you guys can just e-mail/message me any time your characters memorize a different list in the future.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 04:45 PM
Typing post.

Realize I have to use the dwarf's name.

scrollscrollscroll.

copy.

scrollscrollscroll.

paste.

Continue typing.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 04:46 PM
Hahahaha, me too man. I keep my character sheet open so I can copy paste from it.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 04:52 PM
We need to do something bad ass so he can get a famous title we can use instead!
Hey Bloodaxe, over here!

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 05:31 PM
Hey, at least you didn't add an extra 'r' for four pages like I did.


Ah damn, I totally thought Jacinth was a rogue for a moment there. She seems rather rogue-y.

My D&D knowledge mainly comes from video games that rip it off, where bards and rogues tend to be sort of consolidated. I did like that the main skill set for bards appeared to be gossiping, and having people tell you their secrets. That sounds like fun.

I was thinking of being a cleric before. Jacinth would be the worst cleric ever.

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 06:17 PM
OK I'm going to try and figure out my spells now:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm

From what I understand, at present I get 4 0-level spells. But then does it max out at six spells (so at level 4 I could have at most 2/6 be 2nd level, 3/6 be 1st level, or 4/6 be 0 level), or do you get the total number of spells from each row? (so at level four it would be 6+3+2=11 spells total?)

And when I level up later on, I have the option of forgetting an old spell and learning a new one. but, "The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged" - so, I could swap Cure Light Wounds for another 1st-level spell, but not for Cure Moderate Wounds? and "A bard may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level." That means I can swap AND gain a new spell if I want to?

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. For my four 0-level spells, I choose:

Detect Magic
Mage Hand
Lullaby
Ghost Sound

Someone more experienced tell me if I'm making horrible mistakes with these

Aeti
2012-06-06, 06:21 PM
You get as many spells as are in the column. So at level 5 you would know six level 0 spells, 4 level 1 spells and 3 level 2 spells.

If you chose, for level 2

Enthrall,
Fox's Cunning,
Eagle's Splendor,


You could swap out a spell when you hit level 8, if you hated Fox's Cunning then you could swap that level 2 spell out for another level 2 spell, say Cure Moderate Wounds.

You always gain new spells at a level up, as shown in the table, you don't have to pick between swapping and gaining.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 06:31 PM
Mage Hand - Five Stars!

Detect Magic - Five Stars!

Ghost Sound - Fun applications, needs thought to be most effective but a neat spell, a solid 3-4 stars.


So basically I approve of everything except....
Lullaby - Sleep effects are super rare, and unless we take up sneaking as a hobby I don't think these penalties are very useful.

Some fun spells you could take instead, if I convinced you not to take Lullaby:

Message: Excellent spell if we split up, which happens a lot because adventurers are silly. "You can whisper messages and receive whispered replies with little chance of being overheard" Very useful.

Light - I put this here because I'm a human and selfish, but on second thought I have a bat that I can just have lead me around if I'm alone in the dark.

Prestidigitation: Create small crude objects, mend or clean clothes, flavour, heat or chill substances. You'd be surprised at the applications you find.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 07:57 PM
Don't worry too much about equipment. Most awesome things wouldn't have made it into the box. Feel free to list to me any personal effects or mundane travel gear that your character might have been carrying, some of it might show up. Maybe.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-06, 11:21 PM
Here's my sorta "regular" spell list

Detect Magic
Create Water
Cure Minor Wounds

Cure Light wounds
Animate Wood
(spontaneous summon nature's ally 1)

Aeti
2012-06-06, 11:22 PM
Is this the same mouse? If it isn't, Valette would check its backpack for a note.

If no note, then poisoning the mouse it is!

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-06, 11:23 PM
Sorry about my absence guys. As James said; moving and stuff. Will be playing regularly now when I'm not at work.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 11:24 PM
Welcome back!

Let me fill you in!

THE ADVENTURE SO FAR:

Escaped our cells!
Climbed a flight of stairs.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-06, 11:27 PM
I'm just trying to figure out what is left in the box unclaimed...

Aeti
2012-06-06, 11:32 PM
I took (bought supplies before the campaign started, but they're all fairly useless and Valette is happy enough to share anyway when needed)
1 shovel
1 bar of soap
1 spool of thread with a sewing needle
1 carpenter's hammer
1 hairbrush
1 small steel mirror
1 jar of ink
1 ink pen
5 pieces of parchment (in terrible condition)
2 small silver bells
1 locket
1 book
1 smelly pouch filled with who-knows-what

taken by Jacinth and Tharin..
1 saddlebag
1 length of silk rope (50ft)
1 bizarre-looking piece of leather armour that looks like it was made for a small animal
1 towel
2 leather belts with metal buckles
2 knives
3 backpacks (empty)
1 vest of medium leather armour (smelly)
1 quarterstaff


which leaves..
1 metal cup with a handle
2 loaves of kram
1 6-sided die

So yeah basically nothing :smalleek: Go ask Valette or Tharin for their dagger, Tharin has two and I don't think he took two weapon fighting? mebbe he did, dunno! If he did then you can have mine.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 11:32 PM
Also I almost died twice.

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 11:34 PM
There's a knife or a hammer that you could use as a weapon, or possibly the torch stand. I took the quarterstaff and Valette found another knife somewhere. Nic's just running around weaponless, stepping on traps and dunking his head in poisonous barrels and whatnot.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 11:35 PM
He has twoooo daggerrsssss


Thårin returns to the chest, grabs both knives..

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 11:38 PM
ok so you're stuck with a hammer.

I will take Message as my last spell by the way.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 11:39 PM
If Thårin took two-weapon-fighting as his feat then I'm happy to give away my dagger, makes sense for a melee character to have a better weapon.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 11:45 PM
Totes took two-weapon fighting.

Shakedown
2012-06-07, 12:34 AM
Wait, are these mice all actually carrying the disease then? Because if so let's gtfo

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 01:58 AM
Also I almost died twice.

Lolololololol

And Nic totally took the kram.

Shakedown
2012-06-07, 02:07 AM
mix the liquor with the poison? Is that too random? In King's Quest it was always like "whoops probably should have picked up that incidental, unremarkable thing six hours ago, now you can't continue your quest. Like at all" and that set the stage for my general RPG paranoia and over-exploration

lando_zeus
2012-06-07, 08:31 PM
http://www.topatoco.com/graphics/00000001/qc-dnd-print.jpg

jm_jazzman
2012-06-08, 02:54 AM
Nic, just to clarify: is Thårin looking through the peep-slot in the bolted door, or hiding behind one of the other doors and peering through a crack to see what is coming if it enters the room?

Naming the grid location on the spreadsheet for where your character moves to is very helpful for situations like this (thanks Gord!)

lando_zeus
2012-06-08, 10:58 AM
Sorry I thought I put mine in. I'm behind the door at N28, looking into the room.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-08, 09:00 PM
A ONE. ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

I hope I didn't NEED to do that roll.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-08, 09:46 PM
Going to be away from my computer until late tomorrow evening.

James - Would you be cool with texting me the general going-ons between now and then having me reply to you with my actions?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 03:23 AM
I suppose I could try.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 03:46 AM
I may also (minimally) ghost-play Sam a bit, just to give things a chance to keep moving forward.

Aeti
2012-06-09, 09:26 AM
Valette is waiting for either someone to attack or get discovered. But if the goblins start to leave (and take the keys with them) then she'd definitely go in guns blazing.

Shakedown
2012-06-09, 02:13 PM
I was going to use my message spell to ask Sam to translate, but I don't have the focus (piece of copper wire) for the spell. So I'll back anyone up who attacks obviously, but going in guns blazing isn't something Jacinth would do.

Nic won't attack first because his health is compromised. Sorry James, you've got a waffly party. I'm sure our hands will be forced soon enough.

Aeti
2012-06-09, 04:30 PM
I don't think James would mind if Valette retroactively gave you a piece of copper wire (or anything else you need to cast your spells) from her spell component pouch, considering Jacinth would know what a spell component pouch was when she watched Valette poke her finger through it, and would know there was stuff in there she could use (post 118, page 4).

Would that be okay, oh great Dungeon Master?

I should note that Valette is a Specialist Wizard of Retconjuration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity).

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 05:49 PM
Even better, let's say that Jacinth's spell component bag was in the box too. It would have been there, I just missed it because it wasn't on her sheet before. Definitely something she would have had.

Shakedown
2012-06-09, 06:03 PM
Ha! Nic said it would be cheating for me to retcon myself a spell kit. Are the goblins still by the door, or have they moved towards thE middle of the room? Otherwise they're in my path anyways.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 06:37 PM
I'm normally very against retconning, but I'm allowing some exceptions here at the beginning because we kind of pushed the game into motion without making sure everyone's character sheets were 100% done (and I did say don't worry about equipment). Having a bard unable to cast spells would be terribly unhelpful though, and the spell component pouch she would have had falls under my list of "things that would be in the box".

Aeti
2012-06-09, 07:46 PM
Right beside Valette's solid gold genie lamp of 10 wishes right?

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-09, 07:49 PM
I just thought I'd add that even with a damaged fighter we shouldn't have any trouble. Whiskey has prepared some phat heals and Arf is pretty eager and capable of removing some faces. I can't remember if we're all armed yet, but even Whiskey has a half decent bite attack. Besides...
They're goblins.

Aeti
2012-06-09, 07:50 PM
We're level 1! Everything is big and scary at this level!

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-09, 07:53 PM
I want to pickpocket their weapons/keys and interrogate them. I've got +7 to my sleight of hand. Am I allowed to know the DC of that roll before I make the decision? I might change my mind to sneak attack before committing to the action if it's too high.

Aeti
2012-06-09, 07:57 PM
That's a massively complicated thing you're going to not succeed at unfortunately, first a Hide check against their 3 Spot checks, so it's doubtful you could even get close enough to grab it! then it's a pretty high sleight of hand check.. don't think you can pass. srd gives the example of a small object is DC 20, and these are small-medium weapons. So at the worst you have to roll above average three times, and at best it's unbeatable at our level.

It's easier to just give them a thrashing and ask questions after :D

It's hard to kill someone without knowing; Once you drop them to -1 hitpoints they're dying, and out of combat, but they have until -10 until they're dead dead, so don't worry about not being able to interrogate once it's done. Plus we'd get a bonus to Intimidate checks having kicked the goblin snot out of them.

lando_zeus
2012-06-09, 08:03 PM
So let's all jump out and get 'em?

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-09, 08:07 PM
Fiiiiiine.

I'm just trying to find the proper calculations for attacking.

According to the wiki thing James gave us I get 1d20 + (weapon bonus) + 1d6 for sneak attacking. What is the weapon bonus? Do I have one?

Aeti
2012-06-09, 08:10 PM
For a melee attack, you roll a d20, and add:
Your base attack bonus.
Your ability modifier. Normally this is STR, but if you have the feat Weapon Finesse, you would add your DEX to your attack modifier.
Your weapon enhancement bonus (we're using unenchanted weapons, so nothing)

Damage is:
Base damage of a dagger: 1d4
+Strength Modifier
+Sneak attack - 1d6

Aeti
2012-06-09, 08:14 PM
A sample attack of Valette would go like this. It speeds things up to include the damage roll, even when the attack roll might not connect.

She has 0 Base Attack Bonus (wizards are lame), and 8 strength, which gives a -1 strength modifier, so :

Valette bursts out from behind the door, unwisely brandishing her light hammer as she swings it wildly at the nearest goblin!

[roll0] [roll1]

Aeti
2012-06-09, 08:18 PM
Good one! Didn't think this'd come up, lol, but with a dagger, a roll of 19-20 on the die (not when you've combined everything) is what's called a Critical Threat. They're fun! Means you could score a Critical Hit, we tell if it's a normal hit or a Crit by rolling another attack (so same thing, 1d20+BAB+STR) and if that one would hit, your damage gets x2! (excepting sneak attack damage)

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 05:18 AM
I've been thinking of ways to speed up combat in the future.

I think I may roll initiative for the whole party like I just did for all future encounters. That eliminates needing to wait for people to roll their own initiatives before the first actions can even be taken.

Also, if anyone knows what action they will likely take before their turn actually rolls around, you can post it in advance. "My character will shoot at the nearest enemy on my turn", or whatever. Hell, you can even make your attack roll in advance if you feel confident that it's definitely what you're going to do.

Aeti
2012-06-10, 11:50 AM
My bat's name is Eyne, thank you very much, the archaic plural of "eyes" :) He acts on my turn.. and has no attacks. So until I can deliver touch spells with him, you don't have to worry about when he acts.

On her turn, Valette will move to K26 and use her standard action on Total Defence. (+4 to AC), just to give everyone else the +2 flanking bonus. However, If a goblin tries to get away, she'd give chase (even if that meant an attack of opportunity from another goblin).

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 03:57 PM
Alright, familiars and animal companions acting on the turn of their master makes sense and speeds things up. Happening. I didn't see that anywhere when I was reading, but it sounds like it should be a thing.

Nic, you can move a little more than that if you want, I think you could make it to P29 with a double-move. (Also, if you're moving in a straight line, you can run and quadruple your speed! But you lose your dex bonus to AC when you do this, just in case you're ever worried about someone hitting you while you run).

To clarify for everyone, tiles on the battle grid represent 5 feet.

Also, this is probably a good read for everyone, as it's likely the most technical aspect of the game: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm

Oh, and another rule: attacks of opportunity. If you're right next to an enemy (or otherwise occupying a tile that they can hit you with a melee weapon from), and you decide to move from that threatened square, they get to take a freebie swing at you. Attacks of opportunity can also be provoked by you taking certain actions (that would distract you, keep your hands occupied, etc) while in a threatened square.

If you're in a threatened square and you want to gee-tee-eff-oh without provoking an attack of opportunity, you have two options:

5-foot-step: You take a sneaky 5-foot-step backwards/sideways/whatever and can then use the rest of the non-movement portion of your turn however you please.
Withdraw: This one I actually didn't know about before. This one takes up your whole turn (so no attacking or doing anything else), but allows you to do a double-move to get your ass out of trouble without provoking an AoO (unless you happen to pass through other threatened suqares during this movement, then those provoke their own AoOs). http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#withdraw

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 04:05 PM
Additionally, no matter how far Thårin moves Whiskey would reach the same square this turn (in only one standard move action) and would still be able to cast a spell or something this turn unless he wants to move even more. Dogs are fast.

Aeti
2012-06-10, 05:37 PM
Andrew texted me his move; Cure Light Wounds on Tharin
[roll0]

Valette's move is still unchanged. Walk up, total defence if the gobbo isn't going anywhere.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 05:40 PM
It's super effective!

Right, forgot about that. Many things to keep track of.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 07:41 PM
Aeti: I hereby appoint you official DM's Assistant.

But it still won't help you when rocks fall...

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 07:59 PM
More fun with rules! What Valette did is a coup de grace. You can finish off a helpless opponent without having to roll anything.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 05:10 AM
Just doing some clean-up and want to double-check who has what items?

I know Valette and Thårin both took backpacks, did someone take the third one?

Shakedown
2012-06-11, 05:26 AM
I took it, along with all the random **** that was left by the other two.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-11, 11:11 AM
Thank you Aeti. I was thinking of doing that during my own interrogation, but figured it was a little too evil.

Aeti
2012-06-11, 12:04 PM
It's good to be bad!

Also if you want to be a ranged rogue, there's a feat you can take in a while (at level six), from the Player's Handbook II.

Deadeye Shot

Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Base Attack Bonus +4, skirmish or sneak attack ability

Description: By readying an action to fire when an ally strikes a particular target, you can treat that opponent as flat footed, and may apply your sneak attack or skirmish damage to the attack.


Means you're not forced to be the typical dagger rogue, and can use your bow without giving up your major class feature (sneak attack) in prolonged battles!

But yeah that's level 6 which is quite a while from now.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-11, 12:43 PM
http://memextreme.com/wp-content/gallery/meme-faces/surprised-rainbow-face.png
So many pretty feats!

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/shadow-striker--2564/

I want that one!

Aeti
2012-06-11, 01:25 PM
Level 9 though, so far awayyyyy. It's good that we started at level 1, so you guys know the basics, but man am I looking forwards to some of my later stuff.

Had to be careful I didn't get overpowered though, I'm trying to be at the same level of effectiveness as you guys.

Means I can't be a Lord of the Uttercold, create walls of negative energy, and have skeletal dragons fly through them for constant massive healing while they rip apart my enemies. It was tempting! but no.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 05:12 PM
Tom, you should look up the Shadow Dancer prestige class for later in the game, I think you'd like it. I played as one once, it was rad.

Shakedown
2012-06-11, 05:31 PM
Can we carry the goblin? Or drag it or something?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 05:50 PM
Haha, I suppose you could carry him if you're really not willing to waste a healing spell on him.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 05:51 PM
Oh ****, he could totally ride on Arf.

Shakedown
2012-06-11, 06:26 PM
ADORABLE!!! Let's do it.

lando_zeus
2012-06-11, 10:42 PM
So are we hunkering down for the night or are we going to heal this dude/force him to walk ahead/put him on Arf and move forward?

lando_zeus
2012-06-11, 11:16 PM
Bueller?



Bueller?






Bueller?

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-12, 12:26 AM
http://labyrinthfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/labyrinth-didymus-ambrosius-2.jpg

I cast my vote for doggy knight.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-12, 05:12 AM
I guess it doesn't matter if that's a take 20 situation there...

Aeti
2012-06-12, 12:38 PM
Good roll! And yeah it wasn't a take 20 situation; Taking 20 means that you try something a lot of times, screwing it up several times, until it's done perfectly. Stuff like Search, where it doesn't matter if you knock over the lamps or chairs, you can take 20 for. Sticking your hands over a blade trap and trying to discern it's location.. not a good plan.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 03:48 PM
Yeah, normally for trap finding you can't take 20. It's kind of a grey area though if you already know/suspect that there is a trap there (especially if you supposedly know how not to trigger it). There's nothing in the rules that I can find that says you'll definitely trigger the trap if you roll low enough, but it seems like something that would probably happen in most situations if you didn't know what you were looking for.

Shakedown
2012-06-12, 05:37 PM
Yay I didn't kill us all! Team Excessive Safety Precautions, let's riiiide!

Aeti
2012-06-12, 06:22 PM
Wait! What if the trap is triggered by two people heading in the same direction after one another? I say send the goblin next.

Shakedown
2012-06-12, 06:29 PM
Ugh crap I've already gone...I don't want to retcon, hopefully James won't kill me.

please don't kill me james i'm having so much fuuuun

Aeti
2012-06-12, 06:30 PM
But you'd be fine, just the trap would be like "well someone went across, that must be the guards who just entered, but now someone else is crossing and those are escapees! spike spike spike"

Shakedown
2012-06-12, 06:40 PM
You raise a good point. Shouldn't one more person cross then, and then the goblin or another test? Also we could push the button from my side, because it will think people are entering rather than leaving. Does that make sense?

We just have to keep Tharin alive because I get him killed Nic will be mad at me.

Hopefully someone can join me soon because if I get attacked on this side I'm screwed.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 08:01 PM
Yeah, let's say that there's a torch so the humans can see. Retcon approved!

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 08:01 PM
Slowly but surely we forge ahead . . .

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 08:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWgmQYAQ90

Aeti
2012-06-12, 11:24 PM
If the goblins have any treasure kept here, he's not likely to bring us that direction.

Just sayin'.

lando_zeus
2012-06-13, 12:18 AM
Obviously....

lando_zeus
2012-06-13, 01:38 AM
Should we be letting Sam do most of the talking since he's the one who had a successful intimidate check, or is the goblin just intimidated in general so it'll respond well to all of us?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-13, 04:09 AM
It would take too long to get Sam to say everything. I guess we can assume that Sam being there is enough to reinforce his initial intimidation.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-13, 11:52 AM
Lol I was trying to post but I was getting the 'forum backup' page for hours. Just realized that the forum backup page is a different URL that I was refreshing.

lando_zeus
2012-06-13, 03:17 PM
Maybe we should stick together and make the goblin tell us about any traps instead of having to do a search check like every 5 feet if we're going to explore. Let's just decide here, explore or leave?

Shakedown
2012-06-13, 04:02 PM
LEAVE. But maybe catch another mouse on the way, James keeps mentioning them which make me feel like they're important.

Aeti
2012-06-13, 04:32 PM
Valette is for exploring! But I personally don't mind either way.

lando_zeus
2012-06-13, 05:43 PM
I'm super down for exploring too. Let's do it. It makes sense for us to stick together and keep the goblin with us.

Shakedown
2012-06-13, 05:51 PM
Fiiiine let's explore, maybe we'll find some armor or treasure. Or more animals in traveling gear!

Aeti
2012-06-13, 05:52 PM
At least we have lots of mice to eat! We won't starve.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-13, 08:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/ShroudedCheetah/EeveeBound.jpg

For interest, this is a fairly accurate visual representation of Whiskey, minus a few minor details. I tried to use this as my avatar but it isn't the right size, so here it is.

lando_zeus
2012-06-13, 10:02 PM
1) It took me a while to find a picture of an ewok that was the right size.

2) I was kinda disappointed when it wasn't a picture of The Littlest Hobo.

Shakedown
2012-06-15, 02:12 PM
I think we're about to get attacked by dragons.

Can Valette's bat check out the tunnels, or is it still wandering around the other caves?

Also, bats are cute.


http://cheezdailysquee.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/4daddfae-d104-4515-9b22-f493135c4f98.gif

Aeti
2012-06-15, 07:20 PM
He's checking out the other passage right now, he moves pretty fast though so he'll probably be back soon to chat with Valette about what's down there.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-15, 11:39 PM
Bat still batsploring.

lando_zeus
2012-06-16, 12:24 AM
Rest or heal?

lando_zeus
2012-06-16, 12:52 AM
hzeeeeeeee

Aeti
2012-06-16, 01:17 AM
Torches won't last eight hours, will they? We'd need to find something to burn for the humans.

Terrible, sub-par sighted humans.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-16, 02:22 AM
I'm up for resting, but not in this room.

Shakedown
2012-06-16, 04:42 PM
There was wood and stuff in the room where we met the goblins. Jacinth can't see in complete darkness either.

I might have some bardy knowledge of where we are but I'm going to interrogate the goblin to confirm once I'm done my nap!

Aeti
2012-06-16, 06:26 PM
Valette would go explore the natural caves instead of napping, the day is young!

lando_zeus
2012-06-16, 07:52 PM
I'm also down for keeping the exploring up. Should we come back here later?

Also, referring to the map, I thought we all went straight ahead instead of through the gate to the left, following Sam and Valette. Am I just confused?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-16, 08:18 PM
Also, referring to the map, I thought we all went straight ahead instead of through the gate to the left, following Sam and Valette. Am I just confused?

Ah, sorry that's my bad. I totally mis-read what was going on and thought Sam said he was going straight on ahead relative to passing through the gate that had just been opened (and yes, the catching-up stuff doesn't make any sense in that context. I just rolled a 1 on reading, apparently).

How do we want to resolve this?


I could tell you guys what you found down there, as if you had checked it out and then went down the gated passageway after. Could be a problem if there's anything there that would have made you want to stick around or keep going, though.
We rewind to the 4-way and play from there as if nobody has gone down the gated passageway yet. Kind of sucks for anyone who has to undo actions, though.
Or I suppose what might be easiest is if I re-draw the dungeon so that your current location is where you would have ended up from going straight (so the goblin would have had a different destination in mind). Probably the best option.

Shakedown
2012-06-16, 09:07 PM
Valette would go explore the natural caves instead of napping, the day is young!

Hahahahha no, I was actually napping, I'm getting over the flu!

Aeti
2012-06-16, 09:08 PM
Ooooooooooh. Feel better soon!

And I'm all for just having you tell us what was straight and to the right; just have Valette's bat chat her up after a major exploring session if you want to keep it in-game.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-17, 06:20 AM
I have taken option #3 and re-arranged the dungeon so that nothing needs any re-writing or major retcon work. Current room has been mirror-imaged (as well as the fork with the stairs/cave), but otherwise nothing changes. Lomgrik's preferred route through the gate has not yet been explored. See the map link for updated layout.

Shakedown
2012-06-17, 01:06 PM
Some secret Bardy stuff that Jacinth knows:

"Inspecting the faded design, Jacinth recognizes it as a symbol famously used by the fabled pirate raiders of the Low Dunnluns. The pirates were defeated and disbanded by a fleet of Helmo ships several generations ago, and flags with the symbol were brought back by the sailors and hung from the city walls as a warning to all who would make trouble with Helmos. The occasional replica flag can still be found hanging in the Helmos region, especially on certain holidays and days of celebration. This is very commonly-known local history in that area, but Jacinth knows nothing more about it."

and

"[Jacinth is] reminded of a famous tale about Ragnak the Pirate King, who built an underground lair far off in the Dunnluns to house his paid soldiers, imprison his enemies, and protect his ill-gotten riches. So labyrinthine and full of booby-traps was his secret complex that he became lost (or trapped) inside and supposedly died of starvation upon a pile of stolen gold (or so several songs tell)."

it would be very unlike Jacinth to tell people things for free, so I'm not going to put it in-character, but here's how you know I'm not just making stuff up.

James, is Ragnak a goblin? that's a goblin-y name.

Aeti
2012-06-17, 03:04 PM
It's gonna let me rolll sometime, I know it! 1d20+3

Aeti
2012-06-17, 03:06 PM
Fine then, I'll just roll without all the fancy-ness. [roll0]

Aeti
2012-06-17, 03:08 PM
POW! Worth the wait! And makes sense that Valette would know this; she's been researching the Farstaffs previously. "know thy enemy" and all that.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-17, 10:03 PM
There is nothing in the tales or songs to suggest that Ragnak the Pirate King was a goblin. Usually he was depicted as being a man, perhaps with some orcish blood in him too. Other sources less commonly refer to him as having been a dwarf.

Aeti
2012-06-17, 11:57 PM
Trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with formatting earlier.


[roll=Knowledge(Nobility)]1d20
1d20

[roll4]
[roll="Knowledge(Nobility)"]1d20

Okay so it just hates brackets.

Shakedown
2012-06-18, 01:09 AM
I'm confused, Valette rejected Duke Farstaff's son, right? but we've been talking about Farstaff as if he's the Duke. Is Valette's spurned suitor now the duke?

Because it seems unlikely that a duke would be like 'your kid rejected my kid for a dance? I will BURN YOUR HOME TO THE GROUND' unless he was real crazy or Valette's dad was into some other ****.

Aeti
2012-06-18, 01:16 AM
Nattson is the Duke Natt Farstaff's son (I hate their family's naming scheme!), Duke of Wettonbend. Nattson burned Valette's home to the ground. The father probably knows about this, and knows Valette isn't dead, making the father a potential enemy as well, not just the son.

Valette wants to lead you into helping her kill that entire family, which is why she's talking about the Duke as if he's the source of all the problems, despite that Valette's probably only a worry to Nattson.

Valette's dad was a prosperous but unassuming merchant, he was totally innocent and not deserving to be burned alive.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-18, 02:56 AM
As a completionist, it pains me to see all this unexplored territory :(

However, I don't want to just go traipsing off on my own in the dark.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-18, 05:59 PM
I'll post soon guys. Recording session.

Aeti
2012-06-19, 01:26 PM
Hold on hold on, I'm not shouting, it's a bat and this is an echo-y cave. She was slightly louder than her normal inside voice.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-19, 04:13 PM
Whatever it was, it was certainly enough to alert the bat-people to your presence...

Aeti
2012-06-19, 04:13 PM
Okay! Just as long as that stupid goblin isn't going on about me shouting. I don't mind alerting this big scary monstrosity, but I'll be damned if I'd be stupid enough to tell everyone I was goign to use the bathroom and then shout so that everyone can hear me, that's just being silly!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-19, 04:22 PM
Goblins have big pointy ears and are apparently really good at rolling 20s on their listen checks, but ok.

Although it is a big echoey cave just a staircase away from where everyone else is, perhaps we can fix up how audible you were.


But yeah, danger was probably coming soon anyway. Maybe.

Aeti
2012-06-19, 04:56 PM
How big is the doorway/entrance to this cave system here?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-19, 08:37 PM
About 10x10. No door, just sort of an entrance.

Aeti
2012-06-19, 08:51 PM
Bugger, I can't defend that myself. Time to implement the time honoured, well tested strategy of adventurers everywhere.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lto100pAaK1qen75u.gif

lando_zeus
2012-06-19, 09:18 PM
Aeti, you're hitting them outta the park tonight :P.

Shakedown
2012-06-20, 04:53 PM
Poor Valette, she's so uncomfortably sincere. If this were high school she'd have an angsty blog and the rest of the party would get together and do dramatic readings of it.

I also like how Tharin kind of talks like a cowboy.

Aeti
2012-06-20, 05:06 PM
Valette's a bit of a whiner.

Waaaahhhhh no one likes me, waaah I have no friends.

Though to be fair she was whipped, abandoned by her friends, and fled home to have her father and brother burned alive, but that's no reason to be such a sourpuss!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 12:01 AM
Unless anyone plans on running, just let me know where you want to set-up for the arrival of IMPENDING DANGER!

lando_zeus
2012-06-21, 12:01 AM
Hey everybody. James and I have been talking about perhaps getting together and playing this game in person sometimes. Would anyone be up for it?

lando_zeus
2012-06-21, 12:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU

Aeti
2012-06-21, 02:39 AM
Valette is at Z66, and in person sounds fun! You get so much more done; if a bit less roleplaying.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-21, 03:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfFX8Ph4-k

Switched Whiskey and Arf around so that Thårin can be at the front. Details in my spoiler.

Aeti
2012-06-21, 11:15 AM
My initiative is terrible :(

lando_zeus
2012-06-21, 12:17 PM
I'm going to be out until late-ish tonight so if the dude comes up to me I attack. Here are my rolls:

Attack roll: [roll0]
If it works, damage roll: [roll1] and [roll2]

Sorry I'm in a bit of a rush I hope that's right

Shakedown
2012-06-21, 01:44 PM
this thing is blind and uses hearing to navigate, right? if I cast Ghost Sound, will it interfere with it's spatial orientation ability the same way it would if I casted Silence? And do spells always work or would I have to roll for it?

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-21, 01:58 PM
@Shakedown
I think the whole spacial disorientation thing is James' call... And no, you have no chance to fail at casting a spell unless
A) you're wearing a type of armour that is heavier than what your class allows.
B) You're trying to cast a spell in the middle of melee combat, in which case whoever threatens you gets an attack of opportunity and you must make a concentration check in order to finish casting the spell.

I presume you're not wearing full plate armour and you're not in combat yet. Even if you were, you could always take a five foot step and then cast a spell.

Shakedown
2012-06-21, 07:25 PM
Arf nooooooooo

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 07:28 PM
He's probably still ok... He has maybe 13 HP? (btw Andrew, if you just want to go with that median figure for Arf's official HP, that's cool by me).

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-21, 08:31 PM
Instead of attack rolls we should all just do move silently checks. We might die to attacks of opportunity, but some of us might not!

Also Nic, I agree with the live session. We could get some Mountain Dew and Doritos and do this up right.

Aeti
2012-06-21, 08:46 PM
Darn it James, after all the effort I went to, to make myself on par with the group, and you throw us against an unbalanced encounter!

I want my 90 damage swift actions please.

Also actually been meaning to mention this; I don't want to use Scribe Scroll because that's an XP cost, and we're not using XP based leveling, so is it okay if I swap that out (Using the rules in Unearthed Arcana) for a different feat? I would've done it at character creation but I didn't think.

OR alternatively can I not have to pay an XP cost when I scribe scrolls?

Also Sam is flanking, so if he was using melee he'd be getting sneak attack damage additionally. I'm not sure how it works with using a bow in close quarters, looking things up atm.

Yeah can't find anything.. but maybe the creature hasn't heard him and he gets sneak attack anyways? Pleeaaaaaaaase.

EDIT: Nope, blindsight.

Aeti
2012-06-21, 09:10 PM
Just make sure to stay in attacking range! On my turn it's a will save or they provoke attacks of opportunity from everyone.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:10 PM
Wow, these grimlocks are rolling crazy well.

But you guys are PCs. You're smart, you'll figure something creative out.

If anyone wants to tweak their characters a little bit, it's early enough in the game that I'd be open to it. Nic, I know that you were saying you might be interested in doing this.

I've been thinking about how to handle XP... Part of me is also tempted to use it since it's not so hard to just have an engine crunch the numbers for me. Or else I would just do an approximates version with delayed levelling for those who use XP-burning skills/feats.

Shakedown
2012-06-21, 09:11 PM
Did the first grimlock fall on the stairs and activate the trap :D :D :D???

Hopefully the roll Nic made earlier today will do some damage because I am scared for us! It would be a shame if we all died before the planned Doritos/Mountain Dew night.

Also ghost sound will totally work, hurray!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's not flanking with a ranged weapon.

Grimlock didn't fall on stairs, sorry.

Thanks for the reminder about Thårin's pre-roll, totally forgot about that. That roll doesn't hit, but... it was also rolled incorrectly. The roll was right for a single attack, but since you're rolling for both weapons, you make 2 attack rolls (with a slightly lower modifier for each). So it shall have to be re-done!

1d20+1
1d20+1

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:29 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Aeti
2012-06-21, 09:31 PM
Only +1? Even with +str and +2 from flanking? (-2 from two weapons)

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:34 PM
Realized after I rolled that I forgot flanking bonus (for the dogs too). Makes no difference to any of the results so far, though. But yeah, +2 flanking bonuses all around to attack rolls.

Aeti
2012-06-21, 09:36 PM
When we play in person, I'm stealing everyone's character sheets and oggling them.

Also I'm switching out Scribe Scroll, and replacing it with Improved Initiative.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:38 PM
Really? Alrighty then.

Aeti
2012-06-21, 09:40 PM
It's a pretty limited selection of what you can trade Scribe Scroll for, lol. It's not 'whatever you want! Yayyyy!!!"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:43 PM
Haha, this is true.

Shakedown
2012-06-21, 09:46 PM
6? Fffffffffffffffffffff

Aeti
2012-06-21, 09:47 PM
Concentration is the most important skill for spellcasters! You didn't know you were a spellcaster when picking skills, not too late to move some points around mebbe? :smalleek:

Shakedown
2012-06-21, 09:52 PM
Yeeeeeeeah I had no idea what I was doing because I Did Not Read the Manual. If james will let me I'll respec after this fight.

OPPS

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 09:56 PM
RESPEC


Typing extra **** here because otherwise the message is too short to be posted. Also, yeah I should have caught that. I feel like a failure as a D&D mentor. Sorry!

Shakedown
2012-06-21, 10:03 PM
hahah because it was all caps I thought at first you were like,

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MUf4Eu52Nrs/ThxnBm-osMI/AAAAAAAAASQ/9QcXnafINLY/s320/respekKnuckles.jpg

and I was like "thanks bro, you too!"

I'll go fix Jacinth now so she's not such a massive liability. I guess I don't need that much dex or strength since it's better for her to do things other than actually fight?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 10:06 PM
That's totally what I was like!

More importantly:

As I posted somewhere in the past, you are allowed to make a 5-foot step out of a threatened square (and still take the rest of your turn without any further movement) without provoking an attack of opportunity. (Or you can withdraw, in which you run away without provoking an AoO, but don't get to do anything else that turn). So Jacinth can totally take the exact same turn without provoking the attack against her if she takes a 5-foot step out of danger first.

Aeti
2012-06-21, 10:07 PM
Point buy sucks.
For a bard:
CHARISMA is gloriously triumphant! Your primary stat for spellcasting, and all your abilities.
Next should be CONSTITUTION because everyone needs constitution for not being dead.

finally, a +1 in STRENGTH wouldn't be bad, because you are a melee fighter and every bit helps.

Dexterity: a +1 to AC isn't that helpful, when alls said and done, compared to strength where you add +1 to hit and +1 to damage. Don't waste points here.

Wisdom; pssh, dump this!
Intelligence; bards get lots of skill points, this should also be low, since it doesn't apply to much at all.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-21, 10:23 PM
K, I'm off for the night. Might post from phone later.

Aeti
2012-06-22, 02:35 AM
This is Valette's turn, casting on the grimlock that will provoke the most attacks of opportunity if it moves.

Throwing her arms wide, a rush of power tingles through Valette she speaks words of Black Art. She points her finger at the grimlock and a nimbus of black lightning surrounds it.
Cause Fear: Will save DC 15 or grimlock will attempt to flee Valette for [roll0] rounds. (Everyone will get an attack of opportunity as it mindlessly flees).
On a successful will save, the grimlock is shaken. (A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.)

jm_jazzman
2012-06-22, 04:22 AM
Note: Sam's position has been edited. He thought he was on the edge against the wall because that's where he appeared to be when his browser was zoomed way out to see more of the map. So yeah, let it be known that the positioning of images on the map gets messed up when you play with the zoom too much.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-22, 05:25 AM
Also, a note about Jacinth's spell: Any spell that has a verbal component (and that includes all bard spells) needs to be spoken in a strong voice. It was not a big deal for this round, but I just wanted to make sure that quietly whispering a spell didn't become part of any future sneaky plans.

Aeti
2012-06-22, 10:34 AM
Why attack the frightened grimlock, if it dies before its turn then my spell is wasted, and you have another big scary grimlock about to beat the snot out of you..

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-22, 11:46 AM
I was reading the d20 site thing on attacks of opportunity and read this:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm


An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).

Assumed that to mean that it didn't count in the normal turn order... Can someone clarify?

Aeti
2012-06-22, 12:22 PM
Moved this massive wall of text here when it grew too big.

1d20+3 for Tharin. You're getting +2 from flanking with Sam. Doesn't change your effect (sickle misses, knife still hits) but it should be there!

Also you're either neglecting to include your strength bonus or your base attack bonus. (As a fighter, you get +1 BAB at first level)


Bunch of explanation/advice stuff because you're new players! It needs to be said and I'm not sure James ever said it; he was pretty busy arranging the game... And you've probably realized a lot of it already but I'm going to say it anyway!
Tharin's strength is incredibly low for a fighter. Fighters are about sticking pointy metal in other people: strength lets you hit more often and harder, so it should be your highest stat. Constitution second. Wisdom, intelligence and charisma should probably all be at 8. Dexterity wouldn't be a problem at 8 either. Using 25 point buy, the best stats for a fighter would be 17 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 8 wis, 8 int, 8 cha. (Plus racial modifiers). The problem is, you're with two weapon fighting and you're needing 15 defence at the expense of everything else; so despite having two weapons you're hitting less often. (Because you have a -2 modifier, and less strength than possible. Alternately you have less constitution, but that just means you're dead faster which also = hitting less often as a result of spending your time imprinting the floor patterns on your face.)


With a +3 strength bonus, you'd get +3 to hit and +3 damage. Strength is important!! And one of the class features of a fighter is ability to wear heavy armour; culminating with Full Plate Mail. As a dwarf, you move exactly the same speed in heavy armour as in nothing at all (but please don't test that, for the love of god our eyes will melt at dwarven physiology) but armour has something called a Max Dex Bonus. Yours is +2 (possibly +3?) since you have Two Weapon Fighting. That means you're giving something up. Either your totally bitching armour or your dexterity modifier which you've spent points on.

Also more unsolicited advice!
Earlier James said you Sam two bonus languages for a high intelligence modifier, and Tharin got one. Rogues do not need intelligence at all; they already get an incredible amount of skill points from their base class. Melee fighters really should be putting all possible points into the melee attributes.

Attacks of opportunity are basically bonus attacks you get under special circumstances. When someone in melee does something that opens them to attack, your seizes the chance (Hence "attack of opportunity"). It doesn't change the order of combat or anything. Character 1 does something silly on his turn, Character 2 says "oh man he's so open, I'm going to whack him!" and pow!. Character 1 gets to finish his turn, and combat continues normally.

Atm I'm trying to find something that lets Tharin give up heavy armour proficiency for something useful, because two weapon fighting is cool, but later that choice is going to bite him.