PDA

View Full Version : Combat Facing & Initiative

ThreeDSix
2012-05-30, 05:30 AM
Hello Playground!

I'll be joining a campaign this weekend that uses the Combat Facing rules (UA pg 124). On top of that we'll also be rolling initiative every round.

What feats should I get, what should I avoid? Anyone ever played with these rules before?

Improved initiative seems to be a given, what else?

Thanks in advance! :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2012-05-30, 06:05 AM
Improved Initiative is generally a poor choice unless you're a spellcaster and too squishy to survive being on the losing end of a single attack. But your question is just too vague. There are thousands of feats, most of them not worth taking, and the feats that are worthwhile will depend on your class and preferred play style. But generally speaking, facing makes melee harder and that means ranged attacks (either spells or missiles) are better choices.

Thurbane
2012-05-30, 06:11 AM
We're using the Combat Facing rules from UA in the game I currently play in. From my experience (we've played 34 sessions so far, and I'm playing a melee type), I would say that two feats in particular, Combat Reflexes and to a lesser extent, Cleave, become more valuable when this variant is in play.

As we're playing a pretty much core only game (PHB and PHB2 only for character classes and feats), I'm not which feats from other sources might also become more or less useful using Combat Facing rules...

ThreeDSix
2012-05-30, 06:22 AM
I'll be playing a binder - melee focused - probably a Tenebrous Apostate, from level 1. I'm still deciding on the build progression.