PDA

View Full Version : A Wild Gish build appeared!

Tesla_pasta
2012-05-30, 11:05 AM
forum acting weird, sorry if this double posts.

slightly humorous narration of how he progressed to the below build is in spoilers. mostly fluff.

So Madred the fighter began like any other character: a set of random dice rolls to determine his capability and potential. with a delightful set of numbers, he promised from early character creation to be a good run:
17,14,15,18,9,13. I decided he was going to be fit (18 str, 14 dex, 15 con) a smart fighter (13 int)with his father's good looks (17 cha) and his mother's bad eyesight (9 wis).

his early adventuring career consisted mostly of poking evil things with sharp objects until they stopped doing evil stuff. "everything was copper and kobolds" as they say. He had time to get descent at using a long sword (weapon focus) (weapon specialization) and a light shield (shield specialization) as well as developing his mental skills (open minded, Iron will, concentration ranks) and joining an ametuer acrobat group (tumble cross class skill).

his adventures took him far away, to a desert far beyond his generic hometown. here, het met people who multiclassed and had prestige classes! Some people even Gished! Holy crap, batman! Madred wanted in on the Gish action, so he began to study combat magic (combat casting). He discovered the ancient way of the Grimorie Arcanamacha deep in the desert before returning to his homeland to prefect the art of gishing it up all day, every day. you would if you could, too

as stated in the spoilers, he begins with 6 levels of good ol' PHB Fighter. 8 feats (4 fighter bonus) only two are set: iron will and combat casting. skill points are tied up in cross class tumble, spellcraft, and concentration. Open minded (psionics handbook) helps with this.

fun stuff happens level 7: Suel Arcanamach (p. 64 complete arcane)

then level 8-10: Abjurant Champion (p.50 complete mage)

then 11-13: Swiftblade (WoTC website, just google it)

after that, probably finish Abjurant Champion.

Build centered on serious self-buffing with improved action economy. spells to increase AC, DR are always good, as well as STR buff and CON buff. Illusion spells are good back up plans.

as you can see, this is but a skin and bones build. So playground, unleash to me your advice on getting the most mileage out of this build! Which spells, feats, different classes, ect I can throw in the mix to make Madred the most fun and effective he can be. Optimize away!

Keld Denar
2012-05-30, 07:44 PM
I would finish AbjChamp before you do anything else. Martial Arcanist is pretty FREAKIN sweet when you stack it with Tenacious Spells. Having a CL that is basically 5 + level WRT being dispelled is nice for a gish, and you can get it up even higher than that with Practiced Spellcaster and a Ring of Enduring Arcana.

Also, since you have 6 fighter levels and no huge demand on feats, have you considered Dungeoncrasher? I assume he's human??? but if you aren't fixed on the race, Goliath or Half Giant gets you access to Knockback. Knockback is hilarious in general, but when you can Power Attack with a greatsword while casting Whirling Blade, you can knock people across the room...from across the room! If you can't, look into getting something like Brutal Surge on your weapon so you can knockback with a Whirling Bladed weapon even if you aren't large.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Aethir
2012-05-30, 11:50 PM
For a simple suggestion I can make, I'd recommend you use Skilled Citydweller (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) to get rid of Ride which you don't seem to need, for Tumble which you definitely do.

Snowbluff
2012-05-31, 12:37 AM
/facepalm

I just want you to know that Swiftblade is better than Abj Champ when you are not at risk of losing 9th level spells. Take Swiftblade up to 9. Enjoy "improved action economy" with the extra standard action, Blink, Blur (50%), Cha to Init, Freedom of Movement, and one of the best buffs all as an (Ex). Stick that in your pipe and try to dispel it. :smallamused:

As for Martial Arcanist, CL is so much less of a problem when your primary defenses are (Ex). I would take Practiced Spellcaster anyway for the duration increase on your spells.

gorfnab
2012-05-31, 01:17 AM
Duskblade 5/ Abjurant Champion 1/ Suel Arcanamach 1/ Abjurant Champion 4/ Swiftblade 9

Duskblade gives you the Combat Casting feat and all the skills you need to enter Suel if you use the Skilled City Dweller switch.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-05-31, 09:02 AM
I'd definitely swing the Duskblade route. The first 5 levels are pretty sweet, as the Sudden Quicken effect is not limited to Duskblade spells. You won't have too terribly many more spells known or per day due to "switching" casting stats, but it allows for earlier Abjurant Champion, meaning your caster level for both classes is set to CL-1, if only because the Suel Arcanamach is 3/4 BAB.:smallsigh:

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-31, 09:32 AM
I don't hink you can get the requisite ranks in Spellcraft with cross-crass skills. Anyway, there is the Keeper of Forbidden Lore (Fiendish Codex II) feat to solve this.

My favorite Arcanamach entry is Warblade 3/Duskblade 3, though.

Bloodgruve
2012-05-31, 10:09 AM
I don't hink you can get the requisite ranks in Spellcraft with cross-crass skills. Anyway, there is the Keeper of Forbidden Lore (Fiendish Codex II) feat to solve this.

I believe this feat is in Fiendish Codex I. I wasn't aware of this feat but it looks interesting. It also gives you Bardic Knowledge checks with +1 per Abyssal Heritor feat.

Blood~

Keld Denar
2012-05-31, 10:33 AM
My favorite SA entry is Paladin4/Duskblade2. Turn Undead is great for powering all kinds of fun feats.

Thats all moot though, since the OP sounds like he is pretty set on Fighter6. I do encourage the use of Dungeoncrasher, though.

moritheil
2012-05-31, 12:26 PM
You could always go Legacy Champ after AbChamp, and throw a Titan bloodline in there. Get that AC up to where it really matters. It's not like you're losing higher spell levels.

Unusual Muse
2012-05-31, 12:44 PM
I believe this feat is in Fiendish Codex I. I wasn't aware of this feat but it looks interesting. It also gives you Bardic Knowledge checks with +1 per Abyssal Heritor feat.

Blood~

Why not just take Able Learner, which applies to all of your skills? Seems more efficient, since you're not going to be taking any other Abyssal Heritor feats.

Snowbluff
2012-05-31, 12:52 PM
You could always go Legacy Champ after AbChamp, and throw a Titan bloodline in there. Get that AC up to where it really matters. It's not like you're losing higher spell levels.

Don't forget Uncanny Trickster!

Bloodgruve
2012-05-31, 01:28 PM
Why not just take Able Learner, which applies to all of your skills? Seems more efficient, since you're not going to be taking any other Abyssal Heritor feats.

Just an observation. Able Learner is obviously better for Humans.

Blood~

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-31, 04:08 PM

Because Able Learner does not raise the cross class skill rank cap.

Tesla_pasta
2012-05-31, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! The Urban class substitution is perfect for this, and dungeon crasher looks like fun. I kinda do want to be human, so I think I may go for trip stuff and focus/specialty for a guisarme rather than goliath + knockback fun.
also, whirling blade is awesome, on so many levels. winning.
I do think I want to take as much swiftblade as possible, but Ill have to see how often I need to have a high caster level before I forego martial arcanist. Since most of my spells target myself, I probably won't have SR issues, but I don't know how often I'll be the target of dispelling.

I would consider changing around my first 6 levels if I need to, but I would like to stick with fighter if I can. For this build I am specifically avoiding Tome of Battle (not that I don't like it, but this campaign calls for something a bit different)

also, yeah I'll need to take that abyssal heritor feat thing, I was calculating skill ranks as 3 + (level x 1/2) rather than (3 + level) x 1/2, so my max rank untrained at 6 is 4.5, instead of 6 like I assumed.

EDIT: wait, Halberds dont have reach in 3.5? huh.

eggs
2012-05-31, 10:43 PM
Swiftblade 10 is nice, but [Full BA 5]/Abjurant Champion 1/Arcanamach 1/AbjChamp 4/Swiftblade 9 gets both all the important features from AbjChamp and Swiftblade's big draw of an extra action per round.

It's like gorging on cake while getting an entirely different and equally delicious cake to sit on.