PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Devision

Sliver
2012-05-30, 02:45 PM
The village of Evercoot. A small, peaceful and remote hamlet, not more than three generations old. It's people never seen magic, treating it and the supernatural that is common within the lives of many as rumors and pure nonsense. Actual gold hardly ever flows in the lives of these self-sufficient folk.

You got to the village through the north-western entrance, a small walk from the main road that goes from Elkdrop Crossing. You saw a couple of the farms that surround the village, and even noticed the Evercoot Lake in the distance, the lake that never dried, even without a clear source of water. It is early afternoon in this fine late summer day as you reach the village. The pleasantly warm sun is just passing it's highest point in the sky, looking over you as if nothing is wrong.

Entering the village, you see not many houses, with many of Evercoot's residents actually living off in the farms. There are a few houses that are more notable than others. In the center you notice a sign on a post, "The Thirsty Sprite" it says next to a two story house, the inn. A house surrounded by a short wooden fence is signed by a simple yellow painted wooden star. A large plank wooden hammer shaped piece of wood hangs over one of the houses, a small open sided shelter next to it seems to be a smithy and has a horseshoe hanging over it. A small house with a garden next to it has a sign hanging above the door, "Bilal's Medical House". Next to another house there is a table with drapes, cloths and clothes, next to which is seated a small woman with graying hair, weaving and tempering with more cloth in her hands.

A small distance from "The Thirsty Sprite" you see a small stand, surrounded by children and a couple of women. In front of the stand there is a woman dressed in slightly loose and colorful clothes, a red and green shirt with long sleeves and a golden and green pants. Her fingers are decorated with a few fingers and her face is covered with a white wooden mask. She makes exaggerated movements and the kids laugh as she makes guesses as to who she might be, alongside with the kids throwing their own random answers. With a swift movement of her hands, she switches between the masks that rest on the stand, and the kids gasp in surprise and delight. One of the kids pulls at a woman's sleeve, probably his mother, dragging her towards the table, begging for a mask. A man with graying hair that sits behind the stand exchanges a few words with her and nods with a smile, offering one of the masks in exchange for a few silver and copper coins.

But what all this has to do with you? The six of you reached Evercoot after hearing some troubling news. Edmond Benett, the leader and protector of Evercoot has posted a job offering, requesting help in finding the source of a resent disappearing of one of Evercoot's own. Neither the word in the street not any official postings supplied more information about it, only a promise for more information to be exchanged in person.

distant quasar
2012-05-30, 03:35 PM
Joiner Fershaten smiles as he walks into the village. It had been awhile since he'd seen even this much civilization... and he'd never thought his feet could be so sore.

Nonetheless, he was here for a reason. A short look through the village did not reveal any further information, and he wanted to find something out before resting himself. Shifting his backpack on his shoulders, he set off towards the stand, nodding politely to the man behind with the graying hair before looking after Edmond Benett. At the very least, it was refreshing to know he would not be undertaking this task by himself.
"Good day. Can you tell us where to find Edmond Benett? We are here to take up his job offer."
As he speaks a thought flits across his mind, and he hopes that the village will not treat them as strangers. He is sure they are not used to outsiders.

Sliver
2012-05-30, 03:46 PM
The man nods back with a polite smile before replying, "Sorry, I'm just a passing peddler. I bet you'd see Benett sooner or later walking around."

The kid puts on his new mask and runs towards the other kids, proud of his new toy. The woman smiles quietly until he is out of ear shot before turning to Joiner "Edmond lives over there," she motions towards the house marked by the yellow star, "I think he is still inside." She looks around, making sure the kids are focused at the performer. She seems to be about to say something before shaking her head and smiling "Welcome to Evercoot."

distant quasar
2012-05-30, 03:56 PM
Joiner nods graciously at the woman, though frowning in his mind at her odd behavior.
"Thank you both for your help. I'll head over there and see what I can do.
Oh, and before I go, can any of you tell me what sights I should see while here? I find your lake quite intriguing myself."

He looks over at his companions, waiting to see if they have any questions or input of their own.
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Gather Information or Diplomacy? I'm not sure if it's needed/wanted or not, if you like you can sue these:
Gather Information: [roll1]
Diplomacy: [roll2]

EDIT: he's trying to engage them in converstation, by the way.

Sliver
2012-05-30, 04:21 PM
"I agree," The man says "Don't you think there is something magical about it?" He adds with a knowing smile. The woman simply frowns "Oh hush with these foolish tales. You'll just fill the innocent minds with nonsense." She clearly isn't comfortable with the direction the conversation is going to.

"What's wrong with letting kids dream about bigger things?" The old peddler inquires, "for example, I would have liked to visit the ruins to the west myself, if I had the manpower."

"That old ruined temple?" The woman seems confused, but her voice is lowered quickly "Why would anyone want to visit a place like that. Nothing but broken stones and dust. I heard anything of value was stolen years ago."

"Oh, but it's not what you can take that gives a place like that it's value." The man's smile doesn't waver under the woman's stern glare.

TheDon
2012-05-30, 04:21 PM
Elorin smiles at the woman's warm welcome Thank you. Seems like such a quiet place here. You mustn't get many visitors here.

Strainseir
2012-05-30, 04:35 PM
Ayden smiled softly as he walked through the town following the six others. Such a nice quaint little place. It reminds him of the stories father Michael told Ayden about where Michael grew up. So peaceful and ignorant of the world. Ayden would be a rather strange sight. He looks human and yet not. His features were too clean and uniformly handsome. Not elflike more like an angel. Ayden had a simple white linen shirt and pants but he wore a chain mail shirt on over that. Carrying a truly massive hammer that he let rest on his shoulder he just smiled to everyone he passed until his companion spoke"This town feels off to me. Do you want me to sweep for magic while you talk to this guy?"

Sliver
2012-05-30, 04:44 PM
The woman shakes her head as her eyes seem to calm down by the change of subject "No, we don't. The tired travelers and merchants stop here for rest, but they don't stay for long. This was originally-" The woman spoke with a smile, until Ayden spoke. Her expression turned cold as she stared at the group gathering around the table. "Please, keep such insane talk to yourselves while you are inside our village. You are welcome here, but leave your crazy fairy tails and ghost stories outside." She turns and walks away, pulling at her kid and some of the others away, while motioning for the other woman to do the same, which she does.

The peddler looks at the crowd disperse into the house and shakes his head sadly.

TheDon
2012-05-30, 04:57 PM
Elorin nods at Ayden and quickly gets up and follows after the woman before she can leave "Please, pardon my friend, he sees conspiracies everywhere. I definitely would like to hear more about your town, life seems so confortable here. I think you were about to tell me what this town was originally built for?"

Bluff : [roll0]
Diplomacy : [roll1]

Strainseir
2012-05-30, 05:12 PM
Ayden closes his eyes for a moment and opens them as they let out a soft but obvious blue glow,"I am a being of magic, it is best to not trust too many things. The man that raised me taught me that." Ayden said with a soft chuckle.

TheDon
2012-05-30, 05:18 PM
Elorin sighs inwardly, so much for keeping the locals friendly he thinks to himself. He keeps walking with the woman, hoping she doesn't turn around and look at Ayden.

Ahus
2012-05-30, 06:37 PM
Following a good bit behind the strange collection of travelers Pachnuce overhears the first gent inquirer about the location of Mr. Bennett. Pachnuce lengthenshis stride slightly so as to catch up with the other traveler.
Good sir, I could not help but overhear that you are responding to a request from a Mr. Bennett. I too am here to inquirer about a task for Mr. Bennett perhapse we should collaborate to ensure our collective success.

Witnessing Ayden's display Pachunce States to no one in particular, Silly parlor tricks, I have never seen such a wasteful display.

ColossusCrusher
2012-05-30, 08:34 PM
Dorian shook his head. There was no point in flaunting one's skills off like that in front of townsfolk. What they - because it seemed they were all headed to the same place - needed was to find out where Mr. Benett was. They wouldn't get there without being nice.

"Of course it's a waste. We should be focusing on the task at hand, not trying to wow the average villager. If wowing them leads us to Mr. Benett that's another matter entirely, but it's always preferable to be nice and cordial."

Strainseir
2012-05-30, 09:50 PM
"Strength should be used fellow adventurer. I merely used this opportunity to both show this woman I was no liar and activate one of my defenses. I could try to explain further but I think it would be far simpler to just do this." Ayden said with a chuckle before pullng a necklace out from under his chain shirt that showed a disk amulet with the Symbol of Kord on it.

Sliver
2012-05-31, 12:45 AM
The woman turns at the inquiry "With all due respect, I have other business to attend to. You said you were headed to meet Benett, so just ask him. Should be right up your alley with all your crazy nonsense." She notices the glowing adventurer and turns to walk away with a huff, blocking the sight from the kids and hurrying them away.

sidelar
2012-05-31, 01:04 AM
Seeing the blue glow, Sayad tenses up and his hands move to make a warding sign, bu he stops himself midway. Damm, free for months and I still think like a Hunter sometimes.

Sayad says to the group. " Lets take the lady's advice and find Benett, no need to upset anyone. She said he was in the the Thirsty Sprite I believe."

Sayad walks the road and into the Thirsty Sprite.

TheDon
2012-05-31, 01:16 AM
"I thought she said the house with the yellow star?" Elorin says, pointing at the house. "Although, we could always ask at the Thirsty Sprite for confirmation... wouldn't hurt to get some rooms either."

Ahus
2012-05-31, 05:24 AM
Content that the misgiuded glowing blue man is no threat Pachnce. In this case there is more strength in discression. Regardless there is no sense in making provisions for accommodations until we have discussed the tasking for which we have traveled here with our patron.

ColossusCrusher
2012-05-31, 09:31 AM
"We should probably speak with Mr. Benett first. If it turns out that this will be an easy task we might not even need to get lodging until later."

distant quasar
2012-05-31, 09:35 AM
Though slightly disappointed by the woman's leaving simply at the mention of magic, Joiner's face mantians the same air of cordiality and politeness. He wasn't too sure whether he wanted the villagers to learn about magic anyway. There likely weren't many places like this in the world. Nonetheless, it wasn't much his business anyhow.

At Elorin's suggestion, his eyes alight with a bit of truer happiness.
"I for one would love a nice hot bath. All this rough traveling doesn't quite suit me yet... not sure it ever will.
Although, I agree--we should probably talk with Bennet first."

he looks over at his glowing companion.
"Ah, I don't mean any rudeness, but as the villagers here don't seem to friendly to our magic here. Perhaps it would be best not to do anything to make ourselves obtrusive? And after all, if we neglect to mention magic at all, there will be no reason to prove we aren't lying about it. I have a sense this would only turn these people's otherwise friendly welcome a bit sour."

TheDon
2012-05-31, 09:58 AM
Elorin nods "Very well then, let's go see Mr. Bennet first. And Joiner is right about the magic thing. No need to scare the locals. Who knows what a scared mob is capable of." And with that, Elorin pickup his backpack and starts heading to the mayor's home.

Ahus
2012-05-31, 11:29 AM
Agreed
Pachnuce falls in line behind Joiner and Elorin without additional comment.

Strainseir
2012-05-31, 11:33 AM
Ayden just chuckles to himself,"I am sorry if I offended you or anyone here. The only human I knew growing up was a Paladin of Kord and he was even more overt with his powers than I am." he said as he followed the group but did not stop the glow.

TheDon
2012-05-31, 11:51 AM
"No offence taken Ayden, the locals just don't seem to react well to the mention of magic, I'd hate to see how they'd react to displays of it. Back in Scriant, people would be put to death because they could use arcane magic..." Elorin shakes his head at that last comment.

Strainseir
2012-05-31, 11:58 AM
"I know, I was born there. Many diviners are filled with far to much hate." Ayden said with a sigh.

ColossusCrusher
2012-05-31, 12:28 PM
"Try Armforce. They hate both Arcane and Divine. Thing is, after you pick up as many tricks as I have, things like that sort of don't matter - I see other kinds of magic as different kinds of tricks," replied Dorian with a shrug.

distant quasar
2012-05-31, 12:36 PM
Walking forward, his face was not visible to the others, but his polite smile had vanished. His expression was blank, except for an unreadable feeling in his eyes.

"I don't think it matters. A person is a person, and magic is magic. There amy be differences, but the similarities are more important." his voice seemed neutral as he kept towards the house.

Ahus
2012-05-31, 03:19 PM
It's not so much that Armforce doesn't like, what you call, magic. We just understand it better than most, even arcane masters don't often understand the basis of their, so called, spells. Through the lens of understanding it becomes easy to replicate, your, magic through technology. The majority of the technologists in Armforce have little patience for the misrepresentation of these capabilities by their practitioners as magic and some of them stand on an alter of superiority to demand that those whom perpetuate these misrepresentations be condemned.

In so far as the beliefs of the masters of Armforce are concerned magic is not magic, for there is on true magic. There are those whom hold a fundamental understanding of the technology and those whom have sufficient understanding to use said technology. To those whom do not fully understand it these technologies are indistinguishable from magic.

While my personal understanding is somewhat limited, by comparison to some, I have seen enough of this to know the difference. I, however, am in no position to debate the origins of so called magic nor do I have any interest in trying to enlighten, convince, or condemn any whom fail to understand these truths.

Pachnuce seems quite put off at the concept that the masters of his homeland hate anyone, regardless of how true it may or may not be. His rising voice giving away his agitation, to the point where his cooler head prevails.

TheDon
2012-05-31, 03:51 PM
Elorin listens to Pachnuce as they arrive to the mayor's house and knocks on the door. He then turns to Pachnice and says "While hate might be a strong word, you definitely have to agree there's a strong bias against spellcasters there. If you strive to make magic available to everyone, then why have a bias against spellcasters at all? I mean if they can rely on their own power, isn't it better? Maybe make a spellcasting school and give everyone access, this way there's no misrepresentation."

Sliver
2012-05-31, 04:13 PM
And with that, you reach the house. The fence surrounding it is unlocked and you enter into the small yard. You can hear a horse from behind the house, and sometimes a dog barks. Elorin knocks on the door and it only takes a few seconds before the door opens to reveal Edmond.

Edmond Benett's hair has a few strikes of gray, even though he is around his thirties. His sharp eyes pass over the group quickly and he nods. His crooked nose appears almost broken and he has a short thin beard. He wears green and brown leather clothes and armor, and his belt fashions a short hunting knife.

"Please, come in." He says after a quick moment and moves aside, letting you enter into his house before closing the door behind you.

The house appears to be divided into three rooms. The main room doesn't seem to be fit to entertain or even hold guests. There are only a couple of chairs and a single table, half of which is covered by cloth, hiding whatever it is that is underneath. A lantern hangs by a hook hanging from the wall near the entrance to another room. By the exit hangs a bow from two hooks, with a quiver hanging next to it. On the table, the part that isn't covered by cloth, rests a single cup, next to which is a thinly cut herb and a pot of boiling water.

The second room is probably the bedroom, while the third contains a small wooden bed, a bucket and a small barred window. What stands out even more is that it is blocked by bars. Edmond's house is also meant to be the prison of Evercoot.

"Thank you for coming in such short notice." Says Edmond as he closes the door and walks inside, towards the table. He puts the cut herb into the cup and pours the steaming water over it, stirring it slowly with his knife.

Taking the cup, he turns to you and almost as if for the first time, notices how many you actually are. "Ah, sorry. I'm not really used to having such a large company." He examines the two chairs and decides to move them aside and stand too, only slightly leaning on the table behind him.

"You see, a little less than a week ago a young man named Quint disappeared. Quint was a quiet kid, kept it to himself, reading books by the lake. He used to go there almost every day. But then, he just vanished. I examined the area by the lake but couldn't find any tracks." Edmond looks into his cup for a short, quiet moment, and then sips slowly. He exhales slowly before going on.

"I suspect that someone kidnapped him, but we got no ransom notice or anything, so unfortunately, I'm led to believe that there is some murderer in the forest... Perhaps just a crazy person, or a cult... Hard to tell at this point. I wasn't able to investigate further into the forest because besides his parents, Colvin and Dafina Kopa, the others objected the notion of me leaving in search of a dangerous killer." Benett pauses, thinking what to say next.

"I'd like to tell you to explore the forest, but I don't want you to feel that I'm interfering with whatever your method of investigation is... And you might want to talk to the other villagers, as most don't agree with me about the whole forest idea. But when you talk with the villagers, avoid mentioning magic, especially near the kids." Edmond empties his cup in two gulps and waits, "Any questions before you get started?"

TheDon
2012-05-31, 05:04 PM
Elorin shakes Edmond's hand and follows him in the house after removing his travel wary boots. After listening to Edmond's explanations, Elorin nods. "The forest and the lake are definitely good searching places. Also, would we be able to see his room? It may hold a clues as to other places he may go. I would also have a favor to ask, would you be able to put in a good word for us to the locals? I'm afraid some of us are more magical then others and a small incident may have already happened." Elorin looks at Ayden's glowing eyes to stress the point. He then looks at the others to see if there is anymore questions.

Sliver
2012-05-31, 05:22 PM
Edmond rubs his temple "You should talk to Dafina if you want to check his room. She takes care of the kids during the day." He gives you directions to the house. "As for a good word... Can't say it will help much. I'm the leader only in that I'm the one who deals with outsider relations, we decide pretty much everything else by voting on it, and... Well, most of the villagers don't put much faith in anything I do beside hunting and talking to strangers." His eyes lower and he stares at the floor for a bit. "But don't worry, I'm sure that you didn't cause any lasting harm. Whoever you got upset, it's not going to be your only chance to make a good impression."

ColossusCrusher
2012-05-31, 05:50 PM
"We should probably search Quint's room first and then ask about him. Once we have a clearer picture of who he is and what he likes to do we can ask around for information about the location we think he disappeared in. The important thing is to make sure we don't overlook anything by accident," replied Dorian after a few moments of thought.

Strainseir
2012-05-31, 06:33 PM
Ayden cannot help but close his eyes and rub at his temple. It had been a long time since he had heard someone as close minded as the divine magic political leaders, but to hear this person from Armforce he was actually almost appalled,"By Kord! You seriously need to get out more..."

With that he followed their would be employer into a more discrete location so that Edmond could talk to the group with less chance of being persecuted by the closed off village people,"You mentioned a cult, do you have any more information to go on than that?"

Ahus
2012-05-31, 07:02 PM
Pardon if this seem a bit umm insensitive but have you considered the possibility that young Quint, was it, simply ran away?

It seems at least as likely to me, particularly if he were one of the few whom spontaneously developed the ability to use <clears throat> magic.

Sliver
2012-06-01, 04:14 AM
"A cult is just a speculation, a wild one at that." Edmond replies. "I didn't see any signs of one in my hunts."

"I doubt that he ran away, especially for a reason such as this. Only outsiders mention magic, and rarely at that. If one would actually develop the ability to use magic, he'd show it to someone..." Edmond thinks for a moment, then "Well, actually, I believe there was a young lady Quint was trying to court, perhaps he talked to her before he vanished. Now, I don't recall her name, but his mother or Andrella, the barkeep at the Thirsty Sprite, might recall something."

There is a knock on the door and Edmond sets the long empty cup on the table, "Must be Ponj, my apprentice. Anything else, before I must set off? I'll be away for a few hours with him by the forest, practicing his archery. Oh, and if you still want to investigate the chance of Quint running away, you could ask at the farms around. Elferin Petrina, a bit to the south east, likes breeding horses."

distant quasar
2012-06-01, 11:59 AM
Joiner stood silently for a few moments, letting his companions do all the talking. He thought Edmond seemed trustworthy, but as he had learned in court, you could never be too sure.

After examining Edmond for a short time, he spoke up in response to the question.
"Thank you for your help. I think we'll be checking into all these lines of inquiry--better safe than sorry, after all." He looks back at his fellows. "Unless anyone objects, I think perhaps we should go check into the inn, and from there it might be better to split into a few groups to make the search go faster. If no one objects, I have a way that would let up to three of us stay in mental contact..." he trails off, looking almost apologetically over at Bennet. "And of course, there's no need to mention that to anyone else."

Sense Motive on Bennet: [roll0]

Sliver
2012-06-01, 12:28 PM
It's quite obvious that Edmond felt uncomfortable when mentioning the relations between him and the other villagers, but he seems to be really out there as to the possible leads in the investigation. But even with that in mind, it still seems he holds something back.

Edmond shrugs at that as he opens the door. A young man, probably around the late teens, stands there with a bow and quiver hanging over his shoulder, eager to practice archery. "Ponj," He motions into the room "a group of adventurers that didn't introduce themselves that are here to investigate the Kopa's kid, Quint, disappearance. Adventurers," He motions at the boy, "Ponj."

distant quasar
2012-06-01, 12:47 PM
Joiner smiled slightly.

"Ah, I meant no disrespect. I can't think what got into me to forget such a basic civility... at any rate, I am Joiner Fershaten, at your service. he seemed truly put off that he had forgotten to introduce himself. He had been far too occupied examining Edmond, he thought. But at least it had paid off... whatever that meant.

"Ponj, Edmond, fellow adventurers..." he paused for a moment to look at them. If none of you have objections, I'd like to speak to Edmond in private. I hope I don't come across as demanding, but I can't help but feel that Edmond would prefer not to entertain our large group any longer, and I just realized I have a few questions for him that I'm sure he can answer."

bluff? I don't think any of that's technically a lie, which means from Joiner's view he isn't lying. If you want a check though, my modifer is +7, and I'll trust you to roll it if needed :smallsmile:

TheDon
2012-06-01, 12:51 PM
"Pardon my manners, I am Elorin" And with that he shakes Ponj's hand. Elorin then turns to Joiner "Perharps you are right, it would speed things up. Why don't you go to the inn and speak to the inn keeper when you're done with Edmond, and maybe reserves us some rooms if they're not too expensive" Elorin adds with a smirk "and I'll go speak with Quint's mother." Elorin turns to the group. "Is that alright with everyone? And if it's alright, I'll also take anyone who's good at searching for things or spoting details with me."

Sliver
2012-06-02, 10:32 PM
And so, the group leaves Benett's house, leaving Edmond and Ponj alone with Joiner.

The Thirsty Sprite
The dining room of the thirsty sprite is quite large, probably taking up most of the first floor. There are five tables spread around, two of which are taken. One by the mask peddler and his assistant, the other by a family of five. The mother is a short, brown haired woman and the father is tallish, dark haired man that has a tendency to whisper. They have three kids, two boys and a girl.

A woman behind the bar waves you over. "Hello there, strangers" she says with a smile. As you approach, you can't help but notice the sweet pleasant scent around her. "I'm Andrella, the barkeep of the Thirsty Sprite. Are you all going to stay?" She asks with a smile, "The barmaids are going to be down shortly, they are busy preparing the room for that handsome gentleman over there." She motions at the peddler.

"If you'd like a room, just speak to Dunleary." She motions at the owner, a half-elf that stands by one of the walls, flipping a coin. "If you want anything specific to eat, just tell me or one of the barmaids and we'll have the cook prepare it right away." She smiles as she brushes her hair away. "So," her eyes almost seem to glitter, "what brings you into our peaceful village?"

The Kopa House
Elorin and whoever joined him reach the house. Elorin doesn't delay and knocks on the simple wooden door. There is no response. As Elorin raises his arm to knock again, you hear noises coming from the garden behind the house. You move around the house and you see a large group of kids playing in the garden that is surrounded by a short fence. Among the kids are two women, one which you recognize as the woman you talked to, and got a bit upset earlier, the other is a half-elf. The partially elven woman seems to handle the kids with a stern hand and avoids speaking, because every time she opens her mouth, she seems to stutter.

The other woman, the human one which you already spoken to, seems to notice you first and approaches you. "Hello there," she seems no longer upset. "How can I help?" She asks, and then her voice turns to a whisper, "I hope you aren't here to talk your insane talk in front of the children anymore."

TheDon
2012-06-03, 04:08 AM
The Kopa House
Elorin smiles at the women. "Certainly not. I believe I haven't introduced myself yet, I am Elorin, pleasure to meet you." Elorin shakes their hands. "We were hire to look into the disappearance of a young boy named Quint. We were told we could speak to a woman named Dafina in order to take a look at his room, see if we can find any clues there."

Sliver
2012-06-03, 04:57 AM
The Kopa House
*Only the human woman approached

"I'm Dafina Kopa." She says and shakes your hand. She looks saddened by the mention of her son. "I do hope you'll find out what happen... Over there is Lane Heilimpi, Dunleary's wife. He's the owner of the Thirsty Sprite." She turns to the half-elven woman "Lane, I'm going inside for a bit, you'll be fine, right?" Lane nods and Dafina crosses over the fence, taking you to the front door.

"I'm not sure if you'll find anything useful over there..." She says as she opens the door and walks upstairs. "But I really wish I'm wrong. It's just that Quint is such a quiet boy..." She nervously laughs "Ah, he was supposed to turn twenty next month, but I'll always remember him as a b-" She stops herself. "Edmond said it might not be too late, but it's really hard to believe that after all this time.. He is still... You know." She opens the door, leading you into a small room. "If you need to use magic to find some trail, just do it. I'm sorry about how I was outside, but I have to think about the children. It's my job..."

The room has a single bed, all tidy and apparently haven't been slept in lately. Under the closed window that overlooks the lake to the north, there is a wooden chair with a simple wave pattern on it's legs. There are three drawers in the table, a small lantern on it and a chair in front of it. You notice a footlocker by the bed and a shelf full of books hanging nearby.

Ahus
2012-06-03, 07:31 AM
Thirsty Sprite
I'll go secure some rooms the rest of you can reimburse me later.

distant quasar
2012-06-03, 10:44 AM
Edmond's House

After the others had left, Joiner nodded respectuflly to Edmond again, gratefully taking a seat in one of the two at the table."Now, by asking this, I hope I don't come across as rude or impertinent. It's just that it seems to me that you would all have to know that magic truly does exist, correct? I mean after all, you have at least seen my companion's glowing eyes. So why all the fuss about wether or not your children are taught to believe in magic?"

he examines Emond carefully while he answers, his face a mask of geniality.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

((Depending on his answer, he will probably go on like this:
"I see.
I'm certain you've heard the old saying, 'If you want a job done right you have to do it yourself', correct? Obviuosly, though, you don't seem to be one who buys that saying--else you wouldn't have asked us here, am I right?"
Sense Motive: [roll1]

"Now I'm afraid this will seem even more rude of me--and please, correct me if I am wrong--I can't help but feel that, though you are certainly supportive of the search for answers, you seem to be holding something back from us. Perhaps I misjudged you? Or is there something more to this? I assure you, we are only trying to help you and your village--and none of you have anything to be embarressed about. Everyone in my party has seen, I am sure, far worse than whatever this village has in the way of... unpleasantness."Sense Motive: [roll2]
I did all at once that just to save time--depending on what happens, I may have to edit some of that though. Also, Joiner may end up manifesting/casting a power/spell or two, depending on his answers, and what he thinks about him judging by Sense Motive.

TheDon
2012-06-03, 12:01 PM
The Kopa House
"I certainly hope we can find him. So, if you don't mind me asking, why the secrecy about magic when it comes to the childrens?"
Elorin will enter the Hunter's sense stance to gain scent and try and pickup Quint's scent while he takes 20 to search the room. 20+0=20

"And sorry for the mess I'm about to make, I'll tiddy up after." And with that Elorin starts to search the room thoroughly. He empties out the footlocker and looks for false bottoms in the drawers. Go through every book for any scribbles in the margins, look for a hidden diary anywhere or any other clue that might explain what happened. After inspecting for loose floor boards he will start cleaning up the room as best as he can, putting everything back where it belongs to the best of his memory.

Sliver
2012-06-03, 02:00 PM
Edmond's House
Benett sighs "Of course I know magic exists. It's part of my job to go to the city and buy supplies and items every now and then. Not all the villagers around were born here, some came from other places, and they know about magic too. But it was my father that, along with the villagers back then, decided to deny the existence of magic so the children will grow up without it's interference. It was his role, and then mine, and so will Ponj here, to maintain that rule. Anyone from the outside who wishes to live here must agree to deny magic. I believe they thought it was best for the village, as they saw what magic caused, the conflict it brought. Everyone who lives here either aren't aware of magic, or came from the outside and agree with the rule so it's not like change is possible."

"Not entirely. It's certain that you might have better means and an objective approach. But that wouldn't explain why I didn't investigate myself, at least initially. It is just that the villagers decided that I shouldn't be out on high risk-low reward pursuits." Edmond sighs. "They decided that the chance Quint is alive and his killer is still around is too low, and that if the killer is here, he might attack while I'm away or kill me when I'm alone... I managed to convince them to let strangers risk their life."

Edmond brushes his hair with his hand, looks at you for a moment. "I have nothing else to add. If I had anything else to tell you, I would." His eyes shift between Joiner and Ponj, and it's clear that he isn't completely honest.

"Master, if you know anything..." Ponj opens his mouth.

"No!" The ranger's voice raises suddenly "It has nothing to do with their investigation and it's not their business, and neither is yours!" Ponj looks a bit like scared puppy.

Edmond breathes in, calming himself. "I'm sorry, but you should leave now."

The Kopa House
"Ah, it's somewhat complicated." Says Dafina. "It's something that was agreed around here... People decided that it's better to live without magic, to deny it, after what happened to the rest of world because of it. The only ones around here that know about magic are Edmond and those that weren't born here, like me."

You find that scent doesn't help, as the entire room has that lasting stench of Quint, but your extensive search does yield results. You find what appears to be Quint's diary glued to the bottom of one of the drawers.

In his diary he wrote a lot about his dream to leave the village, explore the world and publish books, be famous. He writes a lot about his ideas, musing about writing about the unnatural, what he is yet to recognize to exist. In later entries, he starts to mention about a girl. He never mentioned her name, and his descriptions are too general, idealized. He writes about trying to court her, but being afraid that his efforts are too vague.

In the last entry, he writes that he is going to confess, that she will not be able to deny his feelings anymore.

distant quasar
2012-06-03, 05:56 PM
Edmond's House
Joiner raises his eyebrows slightly, but nods and rises from his chair. He turns before leaving. "Just to be sure, you did mean that I should leave your house, and not the village altogether? Or have my questions set you on edge?"

As he answers, Joiner leans back against the wall.

"I'm terribly sorry, but it just occured to me that I have no idea what Quin looks like. Could you decribe him to me before I go? Or would you rather I ask someone else?"

After his response, he turns to Ponj "Could you show me the way to the Kopa House? I'm afraid I'm terrible at finding my way." and then to Edmond "Thank you for your time. I'm sure if you find out anything relevant to our search, you'll let us know. My sincerest apologies for thinking otherwise."

Bluff (about Kopa House) [roll0]
Bluff (about apology/Edmond's helpfulness) [roll1]

TheDon
2012-06-03, 06:40 PM
The Kopa House
Elorin lifts his head up from the diary after reading it and looks at Dafina "Did you know about his interests about the unnatural? And has he expressed interest toward a girl in the village? Perharps been friendlier or watching one of them more? Or even been shyer around one?" Elorin looks pensively at the diary. "What if he expressed his love to her and she rejected him, could he have ran away, deciding that traveling, looking for magic might be better then staying here?"

ColossusCrusher
2012-06-03, 09:01 PM
(At the Kopa House)

"Alternatively, have any girls in town been acting strangely since Quint left? Although rejection is a distinct possibility, perhaps there is an alternative that we are missing."

(OOC: If you guys would rather I use spoiler blocks for my text let me know)

Sliver
2012-06-04, 11:01 AM
Edmond's House
Edmond rubs his temple, "Leave my house. Please..." He looks somewhat tired, drained. He shakes his head, "Ask Dafina to describe him..."

At your request, Ponj looks at Edmond, searching for what he should do, but finding nothing from his expression. "Just point it to him and come back." He says, and Ponj complies.

Taking you outside, Ponj points to one of the houses. "I'm sorry, Master Benett isn't usually this way, it is the first time I have seen him act like this."

Kopa's House
Dafina thinks about the questions, trying to recall anything helpful. "Well, he did ask for books about such subjects, but we always avoided getting him anything too specific, just vague stories and works of fiction, and I believe that this is how he saw magic, as fiction. As for a girl... Quint was such a quiet boy, always to himself. If he liked a girl, or even confessed to her, he didn't show it to me and I didn't notice anything like that... I," Her cheeks turn red "didn't even know he kept a diary."

"As for any girl acting differently... I'm sorry, but I can't be of any help. I'm keeping watch of the kids, entertaining them while the parents are resting or taking care of their business, and they don't talk about such things... Too young for gossip. Perhaps Lane would know, as her husband is the owner of the Thirsty Sprite..."

TheDon
2012-06-04, 11:37 AM
The Kopa House

Elorin nods at Dafina. "Thank you for your help. Might I be able to keep the diary? I may have missed something and I would like to show the others. I promise I will return it after we've found him." Elorin says, hoping they will find him. "I also have a bit of an odd request if you don't mind. Could I keep one of his shirt? Martial training allows me to differentiate smells, and I would like to keep a reminder, so that I can try and maybe track him."

Elorin will leave for the Thirsty Sprite regardless if it's a yes or a no to both questions. If he does get the shirt, he will put it at the bottom of his backpack to try and protect the smell.

Thirsty Sprite

Elorin walks into the Thirsty Sprite and smiles at whoever is behind the counter "Greetings, I am Elorin. We have been hired to look into the Disappearance of young Quint, might I be able to speak to either Lane or Andrella?"

If Elorin meets Joiner at the Thirsty Sprite, he will reveal all the information he has gathered and if he has the journal, he will hand it to him so he can have a look.

Sliver
2012-06-04, 12:28 PM
The Kopa House

Dafina nods, "Please, just keep those whole and return them with you are done with the investigation." She seems to be on the verge of tears as you leave.

The Thirsty Sprite

The bartender smiles as you approach, and you are almost overwhelmed by the sweetness of her perfume. "Welcome, Elorin. Lane isn't here right now, probably with the kids and Dafina, but I wonder how I could help. Couldn't be with rooms, right? That's Dunleary's thing, and it looks like you know what you want! I'm Andrella." She bows slightly.

TheDon
2012-06-04, 12:41 PM
The Thirsty Sprite

Elorin drops the Hunter's sense stance, clearly it will be no help to him here.
"Nice to meet you Andrella." Elorin nods at her. "As I said we're looking into the disappearance of the young Quint. He was apparently courting one of the girl in the village. I was told you might know who that is, or if you've noticed one of the girl acting strange since his disappearance."

Ahus
2012-06-04, 02:48 PM
The Thirsty Sprite

OOC:Sorry I was kinda waiting for others to Join me in the Thirsty Sprite but I guess I'll take care of business.
Pachnuce enters the thirsty sprite and nods quietly as the barmaid directs him to Dunleary.
Mr. Dunleary, I was directed your way with regard to procuring several rooms for the next several days. My associates and I have been tasked to investigate the disappearance of a local boy and would like a private area to compare notes.

distant quasar
2012-06-04, 07:05 PM
Edomond's House
"Of course. I don't mean to cause any trouble, only to help. That's why I'm here."

Once outside, he turns to Ponj. "Thank you. Oh, and I hope this doesn't sound presumptuous of me, but could you keep an eye on master Benett? Let meknow if he acts strangely, please. I know he isn't telling me everything he knows, and I'm afraid my companions and I can't be of as much help until we know why." he smiles slightly, but warmly.
"I'm sure Benett wants to help just as much as we do. But perhaps if whatever it is he knows is... disturbing... he could find it easier to share with someone he knows better." he claps Ponj on the shoulder, and turns to head over to Kopa house. "Thanks again," he calls back, "for everything."
After a reasonable distance, he looks back over his shoulder to see that no one is watching or following, and heads instead towards the Thirsty Sprite.

Spot: [roll0]

((assuming no one was watching/following, of course:))

Thirsty Sprite
Once inside, Joiner heads over to his companions, simply listening to the conversation and waiting for a suitable time to exchange information.

Strainseir
2012-06-04, 08:40 PM
Ayden entered the tavern letting his somewhat glowing gaze sweep over the tavern as part of him truly felt there might be an invisible foe awaiting for them. When it turned out his paranoia was just that he went to the bar to ask,"Do you have any dark ale or beef? I would like 2 pints and a pound of beef cooked rare with garlic served over lettuce."

Sliver
2012-06-05, 12:26 AM
Andrella suddenly lights up, "Someone actually answered Edmond's request and came to investigate? Oh that is wonderful news! I always liked Quint, such a nice kid, really kind and always liked to tell the kids stories he would read. Yeah..." Her voice quiets down, "we talked a lot too... I would often try to cheer him up because that girl, Nissa Derby, that he liked didn't seem to notice him. She's a light hearted one, always telling jokes and what not, but not really attentive. Of course, it's not like Quint could ever be so bold to do anything that is really out there... Now that I think of her, I haven't really seen her since Quint disappeared. I wonder if she's alright... You know what they say, you don't know how much you'll miss something, until it's gone."

Dunleary catches his coin and examines Pachnuce, "It's Mr. Heilimpi, or just Dunleary, Mr. Dunleary makes no sense. Anyway, here to investigate that bookish man's disappearance? Aye, how large is your group? One of the rooms is already taken by that merchant over there, so we only have three more available. Each comes with two beds and basic furniture, and for a single copper we can add in extra bedding for a third and forth person to sleep on the floor. 3 silvers a day include breakfast for two in the cost another silver for each person beyond that, 5 would include all three meals. Tips ayn't included."

Edmond's House

Ponj looks uncertain but quietly nods as you turn to leave and he enters the house.

Back at the Thirsty Sprite

Andrella turns with a smile and a nod, listening to Ayden's order. "Sure, feel free to sit and... Oh, right on cue, Arlen here will bring your order to you." You see a sweaty woman coming down the stairs. Andrella tells her Ayden's order and Arlen goes into the back door, to pass it on to the cook.

sidelar
2012-06-05, 12:34 AM
Sayad walks into the Thirsty Sprite and takes a seat near the family

He calls to the bartender " can I get a drink, whatever you would have"

Turning to the family he asks. " sorry to bother you, but do you happen to know anything about Quint?"

Sliver
2012-06-05, 12:40 AM
The man turns to you, "Just who the heck are you?"

TheDon
2012-06-05, 01:07 AM
Elorin smiles at Andrella as she produces a name to the mysterious woman in the diary. "Thank you so much for that information. Would you be able to tell me where I can find this Nissa Derby?" Elorin also hands Andrella two silvers as a tip.

After getting the information from Andrella, Elorin will walk over to Joiner and hand him the diary "Looks like our boy had a secret crush, Nissa Derby. Apparently she's a bit absent minded, but Quint was about to make sure she knew how he felt for her, so I think she's our next step. Did you get anything from Edmond?"

Ahus
2012-06-05, 07:44 AM
Mr. Heilimpi it is then. Indeed we have come to investigate the disappearance. It would appear that some of us will have to share, we'll take the lot of what you've left for rooms. I'll let my companions pay separately for their meals, as at this time my assumption is that we will be out much of the day.
Did you know Quint?

Pachnuce hands Dunleary a gold piece.

Sliver
2012-06-05, 08:11 AM
"Three rooms it is." Dunleary takes the coin and examines it closely. Pleased, he tucks it away, "Any luggage, backpacks or anything you'd like to be put in your rooms? Any special requests to make your stay as pleasant as possible, considering the consequences?"

"I didn't know Quint very well... He sometimes got here and told the stories that he read in the books he got, getting a few coins here and there, saving for something. But it was mostly Andrella that talked to him, as your friend over there found out." The inn owner begins to flip is coin again.

Andrella tells you where Nissa's house is.

TheDon
2012-06-05, 02:43 PM
After talking with Joiner and then sharing all the information he has so far with the rest of the party, Elorin will head to Nissa's house (with or without Joiner).

Once there, Elorin will knock on the door.

Sliver
2012-06-05, 03:35 PM
The door is opened by a young woman, in her early twenties, wearing a shirt blue blouse."I'm Nissa, and who'd you be?" she asks.

Nissa has a short cut brown hair that reaches only slightly under her ears. Her dark eyes blink wearily at you and she does not carry the presence of a light-headed joker that you heard her to be.

TheDon
2012-06-05, 04:03 PM
Elorin takes a somber face. "Sorry to disturb you, I'm Elorin, we've been tasked with looking into Quint's disappearance, might we speak with you privately for a moment?"

Ahus
2012-06-05, 04:08 PM
Thank you I appreciate the offer but I believe that we can manage our own bags. I don't believe that we have any special requirements.

Pachnuce returns to the table with Joiner and Elorin in time to catch the gist of the conversation.

There were only three rooms available, I have procured the lot of them. That gentleman, pointing to the merchant is also staying at the inn. We should have plenty of time to discuss it with him later but, perhaps as an outsider himself he may be more forthcoming.

Pachnuce tags along with Elorin on the way to Nissa's house.

distant quasar
2012-06-05, 07:01 PM
Thirsty Sprite
"Little more other than that he is extremely agitated by whatever it is he is keeping from us. But at least I know that he is. I was able to get Ponj to agree to help us, by trying to find out whatever it is and then let us know.

Other than that, I learned that while most villagers know magic turly exists, they have all agreed to hide its existance from children so they can grow up without its interference--whatever that means. Anyone who wants to live here has to agree to deny magic, and I suspect there's something more to that they aren't inclined to tell us.

Other than that, Edmond told me that Quin's killer--and that is exactly what he said--might still be about, so he had convinced the villagers to let strangers risk their life looking for answers. In the exact same sentnece, however, he said that the chance he might be alive is and his killer might still be about is to slim... which seems to me something of a mental slip. Edmond seemed to have little doubt that someone had tried to... well, kill Quint. Anyway, I don't think we'll be getting much more out of him willingly. When I pressed him to reveal more, he asked me rather strainedly to leave his house, to which I obviously complied." he pauses for a moment, slightly winded from his long speech; he hadn't realized he had so much to tell. "I think you're right about Nissa though," following Elorin to her home, after turning to thank Pachnuce. "...and I think after learning what we can from Nissa, we should meet with said merchant (unless of course we come up with some even more inviting lead)," he nods.
((spoilered because of the size))

ColossusCrusher
2012-06-05, 08:01 PM
Dorian went with Elorin and Pachnuce to Nissa's house, although he remained silent, scanning the area for anything of interest.

Strainseir
2012-06-05, 08:30 PM
Ayden followed after the departing group. He kept his hammer tight in hand, this place... there was something wrong here. He could feel it in his bones. No one he had ever heard of denied magic without having a dark reason,"There is indeed something wrong in this place."

TheDon
2012-06-05, 11:54 PM
On the way to Nissa's house

OOC: Backtracking here to talk about the information I heard from Joiner before I got there

"Hmmm I get the impression Edmond's hiding something from us, and I may be wrong, but what are the odds he already found proof of his death in the forest? Remember how he mentioned something about how the villagers don't think much of him? What if he's already done his investigation independently and discovered something the villagers didn't like. So they asked for a second opinion." Elorin rubs his chin, pensive. "I can't think of a single thing right now that would leave me to beleive the Quint is dead, and yet, Edmond seems so adamant about it, even told us where to look for him. No point changing our the course of our investigation, but keep in mind, a killer or a cult could be hiding in these villagers."

Sliver
2012-06-06, 01:49 AM
Thirsty Sprite

Before leaving, Andrella calls after Ayden, "Excuse me, hey sir. What about your order?"

Nissa's House

Nissa nods slowly and moves aside, letting the group inside and closing the door behind you. She leads you into her living room. It has three chairs and a low table. An unlit lantern hangs from the hook on the wall, and a window shows you the center of the village, with sight of the Thirsty Sprite. A little wooden statue of a horse rests on the table besides a dirty empty plate and an empty mug. You notice that there are scratchings on one of the walls, looking like scenery such as the lake and forest.

"Would you like something? Water, tea perhaps? I still have some stew prepared..."

TheDon
2012-06-06, 07:35 AM
Elorin motions for Nissa to sit down and sits across from her. "I'm alright, thank you for the offer though. You knew Quint right? Did you know he had a crush on you?" Elorin looks at her, trying to read her reaction to see how much she knows already.

sidelar
2012-06-06, 08:17 AM
Sayad responds to the man. "My name is Sayad, ive come to investigate Quints disappearance. Did you know Quint? Was he acting strange in any way before he dissapeared? "

Sliver
2012-06-06, 10:55 AM
The Thirsty Sprite

"Of course I knew Quint." The man says in a whisper, although it doesn't appear he bothers leaning or getting closer to you, making it a bit hard to hear. "Everybody around here knows everybody, small village you know. But we weren't that familiar with him. That little one-" He points at his girl, which is whistling a tune between bites "likes to come here before dinner to listen to his stories but that is pretty much it."

"So you are actually investigating this deal for Edmond, huh? Don't let him fill your head with his freaky stories. The odd things he makes my wife here do for him..." He finishes and turns back to his table, drinking from his mug of mead.

Nissa's House

She sits down, setting her blouse tight around her legs. "Yes... I knew Quint, he was a good friend. But that was all he was to me, and when he confessed last week I told him that... I told him I didn't feel the same way... I like someone else, but I didn't want to hurt Quint... He didn't seem to take it too badly either. He said he understood and it's alright... But with how things turned out, perhaps I should have worried when he said it's not my fault and that I shouldn't blame myself... Then he said he is going to the lake, to think and clear his head. Last time I saw him too..." She seems tired, she almost recites the words, there is little emotion behind them.

TheDon
2012-06-06, 11:22 AM
Nissa's House

Elorin nods his head. "Did he have a spot where he usually hung out at the lake? Maybe a large tree that would provide him shade? And he his right, you shouldn't blame yourself" Elorin says, giving Nissa a small, sympathising smile.

Sliver
2012-06-06, 11:46 AM
Nissa's House

"No," She replies "I never went there with him, I don't think anyone did... I believe he always went there by himself."

Strainseir
2012-06-06, 12:44 PM
Ayden called back as he left."Sorry about that. I still want it just not right now, if it is already cooking than set it aside."

Ahus
2012-06-06, 03:10 PM
Pachnuce

I would love a bit of tea if it is not too much trouble.
While she fetches some tea, Pachnuce looks around a bit looking for any small item that could be of particularly sentimental significance.

After hearing about the lake...
Quietly thinking about what potential monsters would be likely to be found in the vicinity of the lake.

A bunch of Knowledge checks Arcana [roll0]
Nature [roll1]
Planes [roll2]
Religion [roll3]
Dungeoneering [roll4]

Not that it was terribly difficult for us to find this out from asking around a bit but do you know if your other potential suitor aware of Quint's feelings.

Sliver
2012-06-06, 03:16 PM
Nissa's House

She nods and walks off to bring tea. The room is pretty bare, with only a few decorations. Some look like they might be gifts, but there is nothing too out there...

There are a few dangerous things living in lakes, but without any actual detail about the lake itself or it's habitants it's hard for you to think about anything specific.

"I... No, I myself didn't know about his feelings until he confessed... I don't know if anyone else would know... And even if it was known... The boy I like is Edmond's apprentice, Ponj, and he'd never do anything to Quint!"

distant quasar
2012-06-06, 08:19 PM
Joiner had been watching the conversation, trying to get a feel for her. was she lying? or has she told this story so many times, she is numb to it? or did she never care too much in the first place?
Sense Motive [roll0]

"Ah, Ponj," Joiner smiles. "I quite agree with you there," he said.

"So, tell me," he said, glancing around the room a bit.

Search for something noticable? Not necessarily of sentimental value, but perhaps something such as a drawer, closet, etc., that might contain something else? I doubt secret/hidden anythings, but can't hurt to look. Of course, there might be athere'd be penalty since he's only scanning and not on his knees.
Search: [roll1]

"...did he ever metnion anything about the lake, or talk about it much? Or tell you why he went there so often?
And," he leaned over to look more closely at her, "what do you think happened to him? Any ideas at all? Or have you not really thought about it too much?"

Sliver
2012-06-08, 08:53 AM
Joiner is unable to discern the reason behind her tone and his look around the room reveals that the room is quite bare and lacks any places of storage. It is more likely to be in Nissa's bedroom.

Nissa shakes her head, "No, he just said he likes it there, that it helps him think..." She sighs heavily "I don't know... Sometimes people in the inn like to talk about there being something dangerous in the temple ruins to the west, but it's just stories... Most people in the village don't think Quint is alive, but few think that whatever did it is still around and don't want to think about it too much, just continue with their lives."

TheDon
2012-06-08, 03:27 PM
Elorin nods, having nothing further to ask, but wondering if Quint would have wanted to explore the temple ruins in his quest for the unnatural.

distant quasar
2012-06-08, 07:42 PM
Joiner nods.

"Ah," he said. "Do you think Quint ever went near the temple ruins? Or that he seemed to be dissatisfied here?"

Joiner will be ready to leave after she answers, unless her answer raises more questions.

Sliver
2012-06-09, 01:06 AM
Nissa thinks for a moment, "It's possible... He said that to actually write fiction, he needs to understand it, to see where it could happen, if it were true..." She finally says. "He wanted to leave the village eventually, but it always seemed that he makes up reasons to stay a little longer. I guess you could get the impression that now he had nothing to stay for, but staying just for me?" She lets out a slight chuckle. "I'm not that self centered to believe such foolishness. Anyway, he wouldn't have left like that... Without his books, without food... I guess he could have left the books believing he'd find more out there, or that he already knew what they contain and didn't need their physical representation... But he would still need food and transport, he isn't a nature guy and he wasn't stupid enough to think that he is..."

"I'd ask Keriann Anderson, she's the owner of the shop, Red Horses. She's the one that buys the excess food from the farmers around, but she might be a bit tough to handle... Not very truthful one, she is. Otherwise, Quint could have bought the food directly from one of the farmers... As for transport, Elferin's farm is the only one that comes to mind."

distant quasar
2012-06-09, 06:20 PM
"I see," he replied, "Thank you."

He turns to the others. "I wasn't aware that he wrote fiction... were any of you? Although I'm not sure it matters much. Do you think we should go back to the inn, or inquire of Keriann and Elferin?"

Ahus
2012-06-09, 08:37 PM
Yes, lets rteurn to the inn. We'll head out to the lake and temple in the morning.
Pachnuce turns to leave Nissa's house then turns again to ask a final question as if as a complete afterthought.
Have you ever been to the temple? Were there any markings that you could remember?

TheDon
2012-06-10, 12:58 AM
Elorin stands up and shakes Nissa's hand once again "Thank you for you time, Nissa. Sorry for imposing on you, would you be able to give us directions to Keriann and Elferin's house? I would like to go see them before the day is over, perhaps they can help us concentrate our searches"

After receiving the directions, Elorin will head toward the inn, to discuss the next step over a meal with everyone else.

Sliver
2012-06-10, 11:07 AM
"No, I never went to the temple. Don't know anyone who did..." Nissa replies and directs you to the farm and the Red Horses shop.

As you return to the inn, you see the family is getting ready to pay and leave.

Discuss your next actions.

distant quasar
2012-06-10, 02:02 PM
"Should we seek after the merchant who was mentioned earlier, and try to dicuss things with him?" Joiner wonders aloud.

TheDon
2012-06-10, 04:45 PM
"I think we should, if one of them saw which way he was leaving, we might be able to eliminate the temple or the lake, allowing us to concentrate on one or the other. Beside, we could probably go to both places today before the sun sets, and then start looking for him at first lights tomorrow, giving us more searching time." Elorin nods to no one in particular. "But then, if we head straight to the lake now, we could maybe start a preliminary search before the day's over, and then if we find nothing, go to the two merchants in the morning... Or even on the way back, we can still talk to them even if it's dark."

Ahus
2012-06-11, 07:57 AM
Pachnuce nods slightly at the thought of checking checking around town and heading out to the lake/temple in the morning. However, his eyebrows rise at the mention of going out to do a preliminary search of the lake.
Really,you propose heading out into the wilderness in search of some monster, murderer, cult, or other unknown horror that has already taken and likely killed a member of this village, this late in the day in the hopes that we may make it back by nightfall. I wish you luck with that. I'm happy to tag along to talk to the merchants tonight, but if you mean to venture out into the wilds I mean to head to the inn for some much needed rest.

TheDon
2012-06-11, 11:28 AM
"I'm merely laying out our options. Going to the lake now would allow us to perhaps raise some more questions before we need to come back to town. As for the murderer, I doubt a murderer would take on 6 well armed grown adults. Unless you think something bigger did it? But if it was the case, why only one disappearance?"

Ahus
2012-06-11, 11:47 AM
It seems that most around here avoid that area, while the vast majority here are superstitious to the point of absurdity, my bet is that there is a reason that the area is avoided. Something at some time caused the people of this town to stop going to the lake and I'm not big on facing things that can cause that level of fear in waning daylight.

As to why only one disappearance, seeing as, with the possible exception of Mr Bennet, whomever we have asked claims to never go out there it seems that the only one to go out there after dark has gone missing. That is near enough a 100% rate for me.

I suppose, if you are all absolutely determined, there is some truth to concept of safety in numbers.

TheDon
2012-06-11, 12:04 PM
"I am by no means determined, you do raise valid concerns. We can wait until tomorrow to go to the lake" Elorin gets up, having finished his meal and pays the barmaid. "We should go see the Keriann first, since Elferin is out of the town."

TheDon
2012-06-12, 12:51 AM
"Perhaps we should split again, in order to save time. Why don't Dorian go to Elferin's farm to see if Quint was there and if it's the case, which way did he go. See if Sayad and Aden want to come with you, safety in numbers." Elorin turns to Pachnuce and Joiner. "Do you wish to come with me? I would appreciate the company seeing she may need convincing to tell the truth."

Sliver
2012-06-13, 02:44 AM
And so the group decided to split into two. Dorian, Sayad and Aden go outside the village towards the western farms where Elferin resides, while Elorin, Pachnuce and Joiner go to the Red Horses shop.

Elferin's Farm
You reach the farm just as you see a small halfling in his forties walking from the stables towards his little hut. The Elferin seems to constantly play with a piece of straw.

Red Horses
You enter the general shop. The shop is full of crates, some half empty, some full, all containing different fruit and vegetables. There are plenty of other items of course. Besides the bottles of ale, mead and wine, there is also different types of bread, and only a bit of meat. There are a few lanterns, pints of oil and general traveling gear, like backpacks, bedrolls, soap, waterskins and so on. There are also wooden plates, ceramic plates, iron plates, copper plates, silver plates, wooden plates with flower patterns, silver plates with colored glass decorations, large plates made out of smaller plates, small plates made out of a large plate, a large plate with small plates glued to it's top, a large plate with small plates glued to it's bottom, a large plate with small plates glued to both sides and other forms of plate art.

"I'm considering renaming the shop to "Food, Plates, and beyond". Says a small, fat woman as she's sorting through her plates selection.

TheDon
2012-06-13, 05:03 PM
Red Horses

"Should throw in a free meal with the purchase of 5 plates or more" Elorin says, smirking as he stops to look at a large plate with small plates glued to both sides. He then looks up and extends his hand. "I'm Elorin, pleasure to meet you."

Sliver
2012-06-14, 01:58 AM
Red Horses

She shrugs "Keriann Anderson, welcome to Evercoot." And shakes your hand. "I doubt you came because of my famous plate collection. What do you want?"

TheDon
2012-06-14, 10:02 AM
Red Horses

"Ah yes, we've been hired by Edmond to look into Quint's disappearance, someone said he saw Quint come here before he left the village, did he mention where he was going?"

Bluff: [roll0]

Sliver
2012-06-14, 10:27 AM
Red Horses

"What? Why would anyone say that? Quint never comes around to my shop, his old hag of a mom always the one that does the shopping and that lazy boy hardly left the house." The woman declares.

TheDon
2012-06-14, 03:52 PM
Red Horses

Elorin shurgs "Maybe they mistook someone for him? Now you're absolutely sure you didn't see him? This is very important and if he ran away, you're not doing him any favours by covering for him."

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]
OOC: Since Joiner is with me but his player is gone, would it be possible to have a sense motive from him?
Roll should, hopefully, be good enough as is

TheDon
2012-06-14, 04:22 PM
Forgot Bluff: [roll0]

Sliver
2012-06-16, 01:09 PM
"Bah," The woman waves her hand dismissively "Quint comes here every week or so, buying food. But he didn't come before he vanished and didn't talk when he was here anyway so I can't help you. If anything, I'd say check the blacksmith and healers, Edmond was acting all weird and secretive, having some business with them all the time. I'd consider him poisoning the kid with a special weapon he got made... Would you like to buy something?"

Ahus
2012-06-16, 09:42 PM
Ma'am were that the case why would he have hired the lot of us to investigate the boy's disappearance?

Although we have noticed that Edmond was holding something back.

Elorin, perhaps we should try to use this information/speculation to try to furthur intice information from our employer.

Ms. Anderson, have you ever been out to the temple?

TheDon
2012-06-17, 03:18 AM
Elorin nods at Pachnuce's comment "perhaps Joiner would be better suited to talk to Edmond since he was the one previously talking to him." Elorin turns to the shop owner. "How much for that one there?" he says, pointing at a large plate with small plates glued to both sides.

Sliver
2012-06-17, 09:15 AM
"Haven't you given yourself a possible answer? If he is the one trying to convince others that it should be investigated, he won't be considered a suspect!" Keriann declares as if the case is solved.

"Nope, never been to the temple. Why would anyone go there?" She waves the question away and turns to Elorin "That one is one of my favorites, 7 silver pieces and it's yours! Would you like a case too? 5 coppers for a simple wooden one, or a silver for this one." She waves towards a round wooden box with small silver painted engraved plates make a wave pattern around it.

Ahus
2012-06-17, 10:53 PM
With respect ma'am I was hoping that you could answer that question for me. We were given to believe that the missing boy may have been out that way once or twice in the days prior to his disappearance.

Insofar as Mr. Edmond's implication in this, given the relative indifference that the locals seem to have to this missing boy, I suspect that were he involved ignoring it completely and writing it off as a runaway would prove more effective in the long run.

distant quasar
2012-06-18, 09:26 AM
Sense Motive concerning her implication of Edmond: [roll0]

"Parhaps," Joiner replies to Elorin, though he sounds doubtful. "He rather insisted that I leave his house though. My questions seemed to agitate extremely. I don't think he did anything to Quint, but I don't think that he's to eager to disclose whatever else it is he knows to us either. It might be wiser to see what Ponj can find out in a little bit, and check around with the blacksmiths and healers like Keriann has said," he smiels and nods in her direction. "After that, we might see fit to question him directly again," he moves close to Elorin as if to examine something in the shop, whispering in his ear from the corner of his mouth. "It might become neccessary as well, though I hope not, that we use magic to help us find out what he knows."

Is bluff needed for that? [roll1]
EDIT: I certainly hope not :smallyuk:

Sliver
2012-06-18, 10:32 AM
"He had to insist on bringing someone to check things out! It's his job. Quint's mother demanded that some action would be taken and it would be suspicious if he didn't try to do anything, even if others don't care at all..."

At the mention of magic Keriann raises an eyebrow, but then rolls her eyes. "I wouldn't call your ability with words anything near magic, and if you imply force, that would not be welcome around here at all."

She seems quiet honest at her suspicions about Edmond.

distant quasar
2012-06-18, 10:38 AM
"Force is not my way, ma'am, not unless it becomes neccessary. And it is not what I meant... though I hope there will never be need to explain what I did mean.

As for the concern with Edmond, you might be right. But what possible motive could he have to harm--to kill--Quint?"

Sliver
2012-06-18, 10:46 AM
Keriann shrugs "I don't know, perhaps it is because Quint's interest in fiction? Edmond was never quite right after his mother got killed by some animal and his father vanished. I heard he came up with some really odd theories for what happened over the years but some of the villagers managed to help him get over it and calm down... Perhaps Quint somehow brought back the memories."

distant quasar
2012-06-18, 01:31 PM
Joiner's eyes widen slightly. "I was unaware of this misfortune," he says. ""Perhaps oyu cuold fill us in more on what precisely happened? And any of the theories Edmond came up with concerning this?"

Sliver
2012-06-18, 01:57 PM
The woman scratches her neck and shrugs "It was a long time ago, you can't expect me to remember such a thing, do you? It's getting late and I'm tired of this," She turns to Elorin "Buying or not?"

distant quasar
2012-06-18, 02:04 PM
Joiner simply nods. "My apologies. I did not wish to cause any stress."

distant quasar
2012-06-18, 02:09 PM
casts Make Post Appear

TheDon
2012-06-18, 04:39 PM
"Am afraid it's too steep for my adventurous ways, I'd be scared to break it". Elorin turns to Joiner and Pachnuce once they have left. "Do we want to investigate Edmond or not? We don't have much to go on right now, so I don't mind, but he'll probably take offence if he finds out, especially if it turns out to be the rambling of some woman. But not much else we can do before tomorrow unless we go to the farm."

Ahus
2012-06-18, 08:18 PM
She has a point about why a guilty man would hire some investigators, but I don't honestly believe that he is at fault. We could try the farm but without some more pointed questions I would not expect it to be much more productive than the other places we've visited.

Right now my curiosity says that we need to gat a look at the temple in the woods and come back with some better questions, but I also want to get a bite to eat and a good nights rest before I head out there.

TheDon
2012-06-19, 01:53 AM
Elorin nods. "however, since we can't go there until tomorrow, we lose nothing by stoping at the blacksmith and the healers, and maybe Ponj. Than again, it might get back to him..." Elorin turns to joiner "You spoke of magic earlier? What did you mean?"

Ahus
2012-06-19, 07:14 AM
All right then,after you.

distant quasar
2012-06-19, 10:08 AM
"Simply a charm... it ought to make him find me his best, most trustworthy friend in the world. But I'm not sure how he'd react if it didn't work, or when the spell ended.
At any rate, I agree; we sould go get a bite to eat and catch some sleep before heading off. It doesn't seem likely we'll find anything without something better in mind to ask. Although, I suppose it couldn't hurt to speak with the merchant before we retire for the night."

TheDon
2012-06-19, 03:14 PM
Elorin nods at Joiner and pachnuce "Very well" And with that, Elorin heads to the local healer.

TheDon
2012-06-19, 03:16 PM
OOC: Very strange, page 5 isn't showing up for me, however if I click reply, the posts come up.

Ah, never mind, here it is.

Sliver
2012-06-20, 02:45 PM
It is near evening as you approach Bilal's Medical House, a small house with a garden next to it. The door appears to be open and you push, entering inside. You immediately get blasted by the many strong scents from the different herbs and flowers. There are scented candles sitting on a shelf, different fruit and berries arranged in colorful bowls and odd plates. A couple of strings are stretched over the fireplace, drying herbs by the lit fire. A man in his late forties sits on a chair, examining some herbs, sorting them into many groups.

Ahus
2012-06-20, 07:11 PM
Pachnuce enters gracelessly and drinks in the aromas and sights of the varions herbs.

Ahh, this smells like home. I used to have a apothecary shop like this, before the guards blew it up.

Ahem, pardon me sir we have been commissioned to investigate the disappearance of a young man from the village. Would you mind if we asked you some questions, and if I took a look at your wares?

Pachnuce begins carefully looking at the various herbs and collections, trying to determine what types of sliders would be created from their combination.

TheDon
2012-06-21, 12:34 AM
Elorin smiles at the shopkeeper from behind Pachnuce. "We won't take much of your time, I am Elorin by the way. Pleasure to meet you." Elorin reaches to shake the shopkeeper's hand

Sliver
2012-06-21, 02:54 PM
"Ah, yes, yes of course, anything I can do to help." The man looks around, finding a clean towel and wipes his hands for a long moment before reaching to shake Elorin's "I'm Bilal."

He quickly clears a large portion of the table by shoving the herbs and logs into a large pile and sets a few cups and a plate of dried fruit, bread and sliced cheese in the middle. "Did you just come into the village today?" He asks while setting the cups. Must have been a long, tiring trip, and you are getting right into business right away. Very admirable." He nods to himself as he fills a pot with water and hangs it on a hook over the fire.

"But I'm unsure as of how I could be of aid." He says as he grabs different leaves and puts them into the cups. "Quint never came by, wasn't interested in healing or herblore at all." He looks around, slightly distressed. "Ah, it seems I don't have any biscuits around for the tea. Would you mind if I go check in the cellar?"

TheDon
2012-06-21, 03:47 PM
Elorin smiles at the compliment "Thank you, although I wish I could take the time to visit your beautiful town, I'm afraid the situation requires it. A disappearance is a serious matter that need to be dealt with as swiftly as possible, I just wished I could have been here sooner." Elorin holds his hand up to stop the Bilal from leaving "Thank you for your hospitality, I'm afraid I'll have to take a rain check on the biscuits and the tea. If you don't mind, I'll be very honest with you Bilal, I hope what I'm about to say can stay between us as it could compromise the investigation. After talking with Edmond we were left with the feeling that he knew more then he was telling us. One of the resident mentioned that he spent a lot of time here, so I assume he must be a friend of yours. Would you be able to tell me how his wife died and what does he think did it? I have a feeling he doesn't believe it was a wild animal."

Sliver
2012-06-22, 01:59 AM
Bilal looks sadly at the pot. "I'm afraid I can't do that." He says as he takes a few steps away from you. "No matter what the circumstances are, tea must be set."

He turns to you, nodding as he decides to skip the biscuits, the only thing he will compromise. "Edmond... No, I believe you got the wrong impression. It was his mother, not wife, who died. He was young, it was over twenty years ago you see... Even I have a hard time remembering what happened." He picks up a slice of what appears to be dried apple and eats it in two quick bites.

"Well, there was never a solid conclusion as to what animal caused it, but besides the possibility that it was a human that made the effort to make it look like an animal, there is no other explanation, now is there? But Edmond..." Bilal sighs. "He was sure there was more to it. He-" Bilal stops suddenly as he notices the water reached boiling and quickly takes the pot off the hook, pouring into the cups mixing it with the tea leaves.

He puts the pot over another hook to cool off and hands you the cups full of the brown liquid, taking one for himself. He sips slowly, letting to hot beverage rest in his mouth for a second before swallowing.

"Where were I? Ah, right. Edmond's father, Harkin Benett, disappeared at the same time that his wife, Edmond's mother, Dafina, died. The body was never found but we assumed he died, perhaps trying to chase down the animal that killed his wife or being dragged away by it. But after Edmond grew up, he started voicing a different opinion. He believed that Harkin didn't just die, or even escape out of panic like others whispered, but that Harkin was the one who killed Dafina."

"I'm sorry but I can't remember more of that..." The herbalist says after setting the empty cup. "He had some odd arguments that he thought would help his case, but he quickly dropped it... I can't really remember what made him move on that quickly, but I do remember it was the most sudden change to his behavior."

"As for his business here..." Bilal searches through his shelves and finds something, holding out a plat to show you. "I grow these specifically for Edmond. He comes here every week, taking enough for the entire week. He mixes it in with his tea, did it from quite an early age."

Craft Alchemy or K. Nature to identify.

TheDon
2012-06-22, 05:56 PM
Elorin stares blankly at the plants and then turns to Pachnuce to see if he has any clues.

Ahus
2012-06-23, 06:35 AM
In response to Bilal's insistence thatntea be served.
Yes quite.

As the man describes the loss of Bennet's mother, Pachnuce examines the herbs.
Craft Alchemy [roll0]
Knowledge Nature [roll1]

Waiting for their host to take the first sip of tea, Pachnuce follows suit with a tiny taste.
Craft Alchemy [roll2]
Knowledge Nature [roll3]

Well if he believed his father was responsible for the death of his mother perhapse he believesnthe same to be true in this instance. I can see why Bennett might keep this from us as to not corrupt our investigation. I find it odd that he would blame his father when the injuries were clearly made by an animal.

Knowledge Nature [roll4] thinking about the possibility of lycanthropy.

Sliver
2012-06-23, 06:51 AM
It could be exactly what is on Edmond's mind... The herb Bilal shows you is called Belladonna, also known as Woolfsbane, a poisonous plant that is also used to cure lycanthropy before the curse takes it's hold.

As for the tea, you recognize it as a variant of a common mixture used to clear the mind and improve the quality of sleep. (But not induce it)

Bilal nods, waiting for the three of you to drink further before continuing, not wanting to interrupt tea time. "I guess Edmond could suspect that his father is the blame, but it happened many years ago... It is hard to think that he would remain in the area and be able to hide all these years, and then... Why now, and with Quint? He wasn't even born at the time Harkin disappeared."

Ahus
2012-06-23, 08:00 AM
Pachnuce drinks deeply of the cooling tea.

That is also a valid reason that he may have decided that it was not relevant to our investigation. It also provides a reason why Bennett brought in outsiders rather than handling it himself.
If this proves to be the case, I could only speculate as to the motivation. Perhapse Quint ran across something in the woods that he should not have seen.

TheDon
2012-06-23, 09:20 AM
Elorin takes a sip of tea, seeing as they're both drinking theirs.

Sliver
2012-06-24, 11:44 AM
"Perhaps that is why he got upset at me..." Joiner suggests as he sips from the cup.

"Yes, it was a hard time for him..." Bilal agrees and looks around. "It is getting late and I still have some things I'd like to finish before going to bed... Sorry to rush you, but is there anything else you would like to ask?"

TheDon
2012-06-25, 11:22 AM
Elorin looks at Pachnuce and Joiner to see if they have anything to add. "I believe that was all. Thank you for the wonderful tea." With that, Elorin gets up to leave.

Ahus
2012-06-25, 11:59 AM
Would you mind terribly if I took some of this?

Pachnuce asks holding up a bit of the Wolfsbane.

You never know what you might run across in the woods at night.

Sliver
2012-06-25, 12:21 PM
Bilal looks around, scratching his neck. "Ah, yes, I would mind... I don't have enough of this for general sale, or giving away. Belladonna grows pretty slowly around here and hard to take care of, so I have just enough reserved for Edmond... Besides, I don't see why would anyone like to carry poison with them 'just in case'."

Ahus
2012-06-25, 01:49 PM
I fully understand, I too have known the stress of fulfilling an order with limited stock. As we will likely be venturing deeper into the wilds than most care to go within the next several days, we will certainly be on the look out for more to help you replenish your stock. Are there any other herbs that you are short on for that order? We could possibly assist you in fulfilling the order, since we are headed out anyway I mean.

Regardless I thank you for your hospitality, I am quite certain that we will be back in the very near future to further patronize your establishment.

Pachnuce waits for an answer nods curtly and turns to leave.

Sliver
2012-06-25, 02:27 PM
Bilal smiles awkwardly, feeling a bit bad after declining your request. "Ah, no, thank you! I don't have many unusual requests and Edmond brings me anything he finds out in the woods in exchange for all his herbal needs. Oh, yes, wait a moment!" He declares.

He looks around, arranging a few items around and quickly sets up three packages, one for each of you. "I'd like you to take these, please, you must! These will do wonders to any meal you might be having out in the wild. Throw it into the pot with a cooking stew, just add it to some tea leaves before you pour in the water, whatever. Not only great for the flavor, but also for the mind and spirit!"

"And that..." He says with a smile as he lowers his voice, handing a small tight package to Pachnuce "Is something I'm sure you'll find use for some day. Burn a bit of these and anyone breathing in the smoke will find his senses leaving this world." He winks. "I believe it's not hard to find people that would enjoy the sensation."

TheDon
2012-06-27, 01:03 AM
Elorin shakes Bilal's hand and heads for the door.