PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for spellcaster homebrew class

Ointhedwarf
2012-05-30, 03:38 PM
After some fun and rather successful set of rp choices my Dm awarded me by "unlocking" a homebrew class for my wizard. This class in short allows the spellcaster access to the wizard, cleric and druid spell lists while maintaining the core rules of a wizard regarding spell books. However he loses all the class abilities of the classes (wildshape, familiar etc). I'm quite new to the game so I don't know how exactly to use this class or if its any good :P. Any suggestions? (Note: My ability scores are quite low at 8 14 12 18 10 10)

Flickerdart
2012-05-30, 03:44 PM
Well, with 10 in Wisdom, you can't use Cleric or Druid spells, so unless they're based on Int now, you'll want to get that fixed...

Ointhedwarf
2012-05-30, 03:50 PM
He's treated as a wizard without the bonus feats and the familiar. In exchange he can learn spells from the cleric and druid spell lists.

Also, to avoid broken rules any spells he learn are cast as arcane, even if they belong in the cleric spell lists

Malimar
2012-05-30, 04:01 PM
Well, the main reason the Archivist (Heroes of Horror) is treated as super-good is because they can access almost any spell in the game (through copying cleric, druid, adept, divine bard, domain, etc, spells), though they do also get class features. So yes, the homebrew class is potentially an extraordinarily powerful class.

I assume this homebrew class can either a.) copy divine scrolls as arcane spells into his spellbook or b.) can copy divine spells as divine spells, and then cast them as divine? (If the latter, three levels of this class might qualify you for Geometer, from Complete Divine, a class which requires theurge-like entry but doesn't give dual progression, and is therefore only useful if you can get in with shenanigans like this.) Never mind, this won't work. Swordsaged with the answer that it's (a) and not (b).

I'd suggest consulting some Archivist handbooks (a quick Google reveals several). Many of the tricks will be the same, though you're a little less restricted than the Archivist.

Ointhedwarf
2012-05-30, 04:03 PM
The first, he casts them as arcane.