PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Sneak Attack

LeshLush
2012-05-30, 07:14 PM
Are there any ways to get around the 30 feet limit for making a sneak attack with a ranged weapon? Just curious.

Erik von Nein
2012-05-30, 07:24 PM
Are there any ways to get around the 30 feet limit for making a sneak attack with a ranged weapon? Just curious.

Several. There's the feat Crossbow Sniper that lets you sneak attack out to sixty feat, then there's the 1st level spell Sniper's Shot that lets you sneak attack out to any distance that your weapon can reach.

Waker
2012-05-30, 07:26 PM
Crossbow Sniper PHBII, Sniper's Shot, Sniper's Eye, Order of the Bow Initiate and Spellwarp Sniper.

Invader
2012-05-30, 07:28 PM
Some people argue that the gnomish scopes increase sneak attack distance.

Waker
2012-05-30, 07:53 PM
No the Gnomish Scope merely increases the range that you can use a crossbow without penalty. For instance, a heavy crossbow has a range of 120ft. If you fire at anything within 119ft, you take no penalty, but if you fire at anything 120-239ft away, you take a -2 penalty. The scope treats targets as if they were two increments closer, meaning you can shoot at a target up to 480ft away with a -4 penalty.

Invader
2012-05-30, 08:03 PM
I'm not really arguing for or against it, i just know its a debated topic.

I can easily see how people would argue for it both mechanically and in the sense that it just makes sense that it would be able to work.

Curmudgeon
2012-05-30, 08:47 PM
Telling Blow feat (Player's Handbook II) lets you qualify for precision damage with the only requirement being that you score a critical hit. That's statistically worthwhile if you encounter enough enemies at distance or with concealment, and you'll probably want a great crossbow (Races of Stone) and Keen Edge cast on your bolts to get a 15-20 threat range.

SexyPlantLover
2012-05-30, 09:06 PM
pathfinder has a trait, a sniper rogue archtype and the item snipers goggles.

LeshLush
2012-05-31, 08:57 AM
The more you know. From where I'm standing, looks like the best option is probably a wand of Sniper's Shot.

Morph Bark
2012-05-31, 09:11 AM
The more you know. From where I'm standing, looks like the best option is probably a wand of Sniper's Shot.

Or just a ring of continuous Sniper's Shot for 8000 gp, using the custom magic item creation rules.

Diarmuid
2012-05-31, 09:41 AM
And assuming your DM approves that. While mathematically correct, it's along the lines that a continuous True Strike item would be similarly priced.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-31, 08:16 PM
And assuming your DM approves that. While mathematically correct, it's along the lines that a continuous True Strike item would be similarly priced.

I'd allow it. Sneak Attacking from a distance is far from overpowered (IMO, the 30ft SA restriction doesn't make sense anyway. High-fantasy archers are supposed to be repeatedly nailing bullseyes from across a field; they can "strike with deadly accuracy" from more than 30ft). It even fits with the fluff of sniping, since the damage is based off the sniper's precision and deadly aim.

Seharvepernfan
2012-06-02, 04:43 AM
Here's a simple feat:

Sniper
Pre: Dex 13, Wis 13, Far Shot, Precise Shot.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you may make a sneak attack at up to your weapons' range (for instance, 150ft. for a longbow).

nedz
2012-06-02, 05:21 PM
Here's a simple feat:

Sniper
Pre: Dex 13, Wis 13, Far Shot, Precise Shot.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you may make a sneak attack at up to your weapons' range (for instance, 150ft. for a longbow).

Do you have a source for this ?
Or should this be posted in the homebrew sub-forum ?

Seharvepernfan
2012-06-02, 05:33 PM
Do you have a source for this ?
Or should this be posted in the homebrew sub-forum ?

I think there is a similar feat under Kyonin in the Galerion campaign setting book, but I saw it a long time ago and may have made up the prereqs, so yeah, let's call it homebrew.

And no, it doesn't belong in the homebrew sub-forum. :smallwink:

Morph Bark
2012-06-02, 07:10 PM

Except a continuous True Strike item is useless, since it is discharged at the first attack made.

TuggyNE
2012-06-02, 09:01 PM
Except a continuous True Strike item is useless, since it is discharged at the first attack made.

Use-activated, which costs the same by the guidelines and does in fact work well, is probably what was meant.