PDA

View Full Version : [Hourglass of Zihaja D&D 4e] Heroes on a Sea of Swords OOC II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Shadow_Elf
2012-05-31, 10:42 AM
Alright, since the last OOC thread was getting ponderous, I have taken the liberty of crafting us a new one! This opening post will remain for tracking some of the random things you come across, as well as quest updates and character sheet quicklinks. If ever you feel something should be added to the OP, ask and ye shall receive.

Treasure Thus Far:
+4 Spiritswing Shamshir - level 19
Possible Weapons: Heavy Blades
Enhancement: +4 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +4d8 psychic damage
Property: When you hit a creature with this weapon, it loses the insubstantial quality (if it has it) and cannot phase, both until the end of your next turn.
Power (At-Will • Psychic): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is psychic damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
The first blade enchanted by the ghost in her final form. It contains what's left of her demented psyche. Transfered to a fresh longsword and currently OT: Medinah.

+4 Wyvernsong Shamshir - level 17
Possible Weapons: Heavy Blade, Light Blade, Spear
Enhancement: +4 attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: Ongoing 10 poison and acid damage (save ends)
Property: When you hit a target with this weapon that is taking ongoing damage, it takes a -4 penalty to saving throws against ongoing damage (save ends).
Power (At-Will • Acid, Poison): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is acid damage and poison damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
The second blade enchanted by the ghost when she assumed her final form. Currently OT: Rahman, transferred to Voice. The transfer destroyed the basic enchantment on Voice, netting Rahman some 9000 residuum.

+2 Clearsighted Wand of Howling Wall
Level 9 Item; 4200 GP
Property: When you use the wizard spell howling wall, you remove any obscuring terrain within the wall such as smoke, fog or steam, until the end of your next turn.
Power, Encounter, Standard Action: As the Wizard power, howling wall
Power, Daily, Standard Action, Close Burst 10: Remove all obscuring terrain, such as smoke, fog or steam. So long as you wield the wand, such terrain features cannot enter the burst until the end of the encounter, or until you end this effect as a minor action or stow the wand.
This is the wand Alaq used at the beginning of the encounter to clear the fog. You confiscated it from him, and Rahman zapped it to produce a nifty 2100 residuum.

+2 Sheloq's Morningstar
Level 6 Item; 1800 GP
Property: If you would use a power that increases your size category, but nearby creatures would prevent you from doing so, you may push those creatures up to 1 square to accommodate your new size.
This is the morningstar used by the oni. Amirah handily recovered it from underwater, and Rahman zapped it to make a pretty 360 residuum.

+4 Pendant of the Vengeful Soul
Level 18 Item; 85000 GP
Property: When you make two attack rolls because of oath of enmity, and both would result in a hit, you gain an item bonus to the damage roll of that attack equal to the pendant's enhancement bonus.
Property: When you use your oath of enmity power, the target is also marked by you until the end of your next turn.

Power, One-Use, Minor Action: You declare your object of hatred as one sentient creature whose name you know. The creature remains your object of hatred until you slay it, or until you die. While a creature remains your object of hatred, this pendant cannot be removed from you. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls against your object of hatred, and while within 20 squares of you, that creature is marked by you. If the creature makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you may shift up to your speed to a square adjacent to your object of hatred and make a melee basic attack against it as an immediate reaction. If your object of hatred is within 20 squares of you, you cannot use oath of enmity except on your object of hatred. If your object of hatred would be slain while within 20 squares of you, the blow cannot be nonlethal, regardless of the aggressor.

Once this item's power has been used and the object of hatred slain, you no longer gain the benefits of the item's properties against any creature (effectively making this a simple +4 Amulet of Protection in your hands).
The amulet used by Qurab and given to Kihtsah with his dying breath. Currently OT: Kihtsah.

Equilibrium Boots of the Snake
Level 7 - 2600 GP
Property: You move normally on slippery surfaces, such as grease or ice.
Power, Free Action, Encounter. Trigger: You are subject to forced movement and/or would be knocked prone. Effect: You are not knocked prone, cannot be knocked off a ledge by the movement and may shift 1 square after the force movement is resolved.
Fashionable stiletto heels once owned by Vertasi, now yours! Currently OT: Medinah

+4 Cloak of Translocation - level 19
Neck Slot Item
Enhancement: +4 to fortitude, reflex and will
Property: When you use a teleportation power, you gain a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex until the end of your next turn.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. You regain the use of an encounter teleportation power that you have already used during this encounter.
The cloak used by the duelist that served aboard the Drums of War. Currently OT: Alvah

Samples for upgrading Medinah's crossbow quarrels for piercing stone
Two disabled warforged
2000 gp worth of Alchemical Subsidy

Quests and Experience:
Experience Total: 11088 XP Each
Next Level-Up: 12000 XP

Heart of the Conquerors
Major Quest
Objective: Slay or capture High Priest of Martuakh Hasnarash and The Salamander, both of the she-da-zhong invading army.
Update: The Admaja Spymaster of the she-da-zhong has been added to the list of targets. The Midnight Mirage has set sail for a rendezvous with other pirate hunting vessels, and an attack upon these targets is being prepared.
Rewards: Quest XP, Bounty

Guild Contract: The Snake
Minor Quest - COMPLETE
Objective: Capture Vertasi the Snake, notorious pirate.
Update: Vertasi has claimed the Midnight Mirage. Oust him and reclaim the ship. Additionally, he has a lizardfolk in his crew who has a beef with Kihtsah. Perhaps he will explain later.
Update: Vertasi is in fact a woman, not a man, using a bound oni as her fall guy. She claims to be the Pirate Queen of Liars, but has been subdued by the Hunters. She claims to work for a "Lord Raven", but has not elaborated.
Update: Vertasi was turned in to the authorities in Luardo, and the bounty was earned. QUEST COMPLETED

Guild Contract: In Viking
Minor Quest - UNAVAILABLE
Objective: Capture Hagar Hrolfsson, dangerous dvernin viking
Update: A rival crew aboard the Gift of the Matriarch took care of this rascal and his dvernin mates, meaning this quest is no longer available. QUEST INCOMPLETED.

Unearth Arcana
Major Quest
Objective: Decipher the Admajai war ritual the Sultan of the City of God gave to the crew.
Update: The War Ritual requires a cipher to cast. Where might the crew be able to find such a thing? Perhaps Medinah can remember something from her past... or maybe Rahman's research will turn up a lead?
Update: Rahman found out where a number of pieces for the cipher might be found; an old cave in Ilud where a group of Admajai cadre mages were ambushed and slain by medusas during one of the crown wars. The heroes went to Ilud, searching for the cave.
Update: Three quarters of a complete cipher were obtained from the corpses of petrified mages in an Iludai cave network. The sultan has his finest scholars working on the fourth component, and Rahman and Alvah are pursuing the answer as well.
Rewards: Quest XP, new ritual

Fear of Fear Itself
Minor Quest
Objective: Capture and return to custody the so-called Pirate Lord of Fear, Ahmed al-Faruq. Perhaps he can shed some more light on these "Pirate Lords" and their elusive "king"?

War is Eternal
Minor Quest
Objective: After defeating (well, sort of?) the Pirate Lord of War, Emperor's Guard Model 001, the Hunters have learned the identity of another Pirate Lord. The mecha is worth a bounty, but how can they disable something that is fueled by conflict?

Imperial Ambitions
Major Quest
Objective: There's a pirate out there claiming to be the descendant of Admajai Emperors of the past. He has rallied the Corsairs to a common cause and taken control of the city of Luardo, which he has named New Asanam. Depose Lord Raven, and his queen Vertasi the Snake.
Rewards: Quest XP, Multiple Bounties

Characters:
{table] Character | Player
Kihtsah Darimil (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271578) | Reverent-One
Amirah (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271210) | Grey Wolf
Medinah (http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8133) | Scylfing
Jalil Farun (http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=10712) | Chambers
Korack (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=340613) | Daravon_35[/table]

Retired Characters:
{table]Character | Player
Hakhpur gar Mubrak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271090) | Belthasar
Teshiq (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271703) | A'den
Alvah Nasab (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=339147) | Dekkah
Rahman Shamis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=271418) | ninja_penguin [/table]

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-31, 11:00 AM
{table] PC | Alchemical Reagents | Mystic Salves | Rare Herbs | Sanctified Incense | Residuum | Alchemical Subsidy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11187485&postcount=824)
Common Pot | 1000 | 7790 | 619 | 4215 | 2460 | 2000
Kihtsah* | 200 | 200 | 66 | 200 | 0
Amirah* | 1000 | 3500 | 3866 | 1000 | 0
Rahman | 1400 | 600 | 467 | 0 | 9000
Medinah | 400 | 300 | 267 | 300 | 0
Alvah | 300 | 0 | 50 | 150 | 0
Jalil
Total | 4300 | 12390 | 5325 | 5865 | | 2000
[/table]

Notes:

Individual characters can go into negatives in the table as long as the total remains positive. Those characters should endeavor to restore their pots as soon as is convenient.
Group rituals are paid equally by all participants. Individual rituals are paid from the person's reserves.
Alchemical Subsidy materials can only be used to craft the following:

Alchemist's Fire
Alchemist's Acid
Blastpatch
Acidic Fire
Inferno Oil

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-05-31, 12:14 PM
Hello everyone, Alvah "Thunder" Nasab reporting for duty!.

Since red is taken, I'd like to take Medium turquoise. (if that is alright. I think it is far enough form the other blue... and not to hard on the eyes.

Shadow_elf, I'll link you my mythweaver sheet later today (I dont have access to it right now - stupid firewall).

I just noticed that I did not buy the ritual component I'll need.
I still got 740 GP.... I'll buy some tonight (need to check what my rituals require) and update the character before the game start.

Alvah's Status
HP :...84/102...TEMP HP :...0
Surge Value :...25
Surge left/surge per day :...10/12
Resist : ....6 Ongoing ....
AC:...29...FORT:...28... REF:...25...WILL:...30...
Encounter count for the day: ....0
Languages : ....Common, Aquan, Ignan , Terran
Initiative : ... +8
Passive Perception : ... 23
Passive Insight : ...21
Main Hand : Bard's Songblade Longsword +4
Off Hand : Light Shield
Powers :
Melee Basic Attack (For OAs) (+14, 1D8+3)
Staggering Note
War Song Strike
Action point (0/1)
Second Wind
Majestic Word (1/2)
Healing Rain
Word of Friendship
Vezzuvu's Eruption
Shout of Thriumph
Drums of the wild hunt
Rolling Echo
Earthquake Stike
Moment of Escape
Chrod of Resilience
Illusory Ereasure
Tune of Ice and Wind
Thunder Blade
Menacing Thunder
Doom Echo

Items powers:
Eladrin Ring of passage
Helm of Teleportation
Imposter's Stonemail Armor +3

Consumables :

Effects from Alvah :
S1, S2 and W2 grant CA to Alvah UENT (Alvah)

Effects on Alvah :

Items Carried/Owned :

Imposter's Stonemail Armor +3 (E)
Bard's Songblade Longsword +4 (E)
Amulet of Protection +3 (E)
Eladrin's Ring of Passage (E)
Helm of Teleportation (E)
Ritual Book
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
Beltpouch
Sunrod (2)
Rations (10 days)
50' hempen rope
Waterskin
Dagger

Wealth :
2 pp
40 gp

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-31, 12:20 PM
I just noticed that I did not buy the ritual component I'll need.
I still got 740 GP.... I'll buy some tonight (need to check what my rituals require) and update the character before the game start.

Welcome!

Edit: I'm going to take a stab in the dark with some google-fu and guess that this (www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=339147) is your character sheet.

Edit 2: I'm glad to see that our "random h" naming convention is still going strong.

You'll get a bit of a break there - we bought a lot of components at adventure start, and I believe that the people unboarding don't take their components with them, from what Shadow Elf said a while back.

I've gone ahead and copied the table from the first thread, so you see what amounts we have already accounted for. You may just get to pick the row that is "yours", so to speak.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-05-31, 12:46 PM
Well the H is an coincidence, a funny one though :).

I'll remove group wealth from my status to.

I simply cannot check if this is the right character sheet, but if it comes from a dekkah and look like my status above, it is mine :).

A simple note about the Mythweavwer sheet too.... I'll keep it updated as much as possible (usually do so when I level or receive something significant - magic item), but I wont use it to keep track of my status (HP and stuf) since I cant access it everywhere I post (firewall at work).
That is actually what my status spoiler above is for.

I usually repost it with each thread it change, but I think i'll simply try to keep it up to date here instead (less typing and copy/paste).

An other thing you might need to know is that English isnt my native language. I usually can post to be understood in English, but I still can make a lot of errors. If I post something you guys dont understand, just tell me :).

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-31, 01:02 PM
In other business: I am waiting on a group consensus on what Amirah should do: do we want her to try to recover some of the loot, or play it safe and stick around in case Vertasi tries something else?

GW

Chambers
2012-05-31, 01:02 PM
Hello all, glad to come aboard.

I'll be playing a Sabi Sorceress named Jaili Farun. She's a Windsoul Genasi Air Elementalist with the Windlord theme. Flying around and zapping people with lightning and thunder is generally her thing.

She's also a Noble and little arrogant, but I'll reserve that mostly for the NPC's. PC's of her ability (i.e. power level) have probably proven themselves to be worthy allies in the past, also I know from experience that it gets annoying when one PC constantly tries to lord over the others.

Mechanics wise she's pretty simple, as the Essentials Sorcerer is a straight up blaster. She's got a few zone and close burst powers, but she mainly hits people with lightning and knocks them around (Mark of Storm).

---

I'll use this space for some additional character information as well as descriptions of two of her powers. There's an error in the plothook 4e sheets that won't let me save any text for the lower right box, and the one right above it.

Jalil Farun (http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=10712), Sabi Elementalist
Defenses: AC 26 Fort 27 Ref 26 Will 31
Hitpoint Total: 106
Surge Value: 26
Daily Surge Count: 10

Passive Perception: 20
Passive Insight: 18
Passive Stealth: 18
Passive Bluff: 24

Opportunity Attack +15 vs AC, 1d4+2 dmg

Defensive Features:
+3 all defensives vs Acid/Fire/Cold/Lighting/Thunder
Resist Cold 17
Immune to Slow/Immobilize caused by Cold powers
Resist Lightning 13
+2 saves vs ongoing lightning damage

Elemental Twist Dagger
Gain 10 Temp HP when an enemy's resistances or immunities reduce the damage of any sorcerer attack power used through this dagger (No action)

Fog Form
Insubstantial until EONT (Interrupt, hit by an attack)

Walk it Off
Make a save vs ongoing damage at start of turn (No action)

Primordial Surge
When you use Windwalker, gain 9 Temp HP

--- Powers ---

Elemental Bolt, Static Charge, Storm Walk

Elemental Escalation ([ ][ ][ ][ ]), Essence of Arcane Blood, Wind Fury Assault, Essence Form, Windwalker, Protective Gale, Wind Rider, Fog Form

Howling Tempest, Thunder Leap, Howling Hurricane, Lightning Daggers, Sorcerous Pulse

Other
Race/Theme/Class/Paragon Path Features
Windsoul: You gain resist 5 cold and the windwalker power. At 11th level, the resistance improves to 10 cold. At 21st level, the resistance improves to 15 cold.

(1st level): Your origin becomes elemental. For the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin, you are considered to be an elemental. Add Primordial to the languages you can read, write, and speak. You gain a +2 power bonus to Athletics checks and Perception checks. You also gain the wind fury assault power.
(5th level): Whenever an effect enables you to fly, you can fly 1 additional square. Further, whenever you use your second wind, you can push each creature adjacent to you 1 square.
(10th level): Whenever you hit with wind fury assault, you slide the target up to a number of squares equal to your highest ability modifier.

Elemental Power: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of arcane powers equal to your Constitution modifier. This bonus increases to 2 + your Constitution modifier at 5th level, 5 + your Constitution modifier at 15th level, and 8 + your Constitution modifier at 25th level.
Elemental Resilience: While you are not wearing heavy armor, you can use your Constitution modifier in place of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier to determine your AC.
Elemental Versatility: At 9th level and 19th level, you gain a sorcerer at-will attack power of your choice.

Enhanced Elemental Bolt: Your elemental bolt deals lightning damage. On a hit, its target gains vulnerable 3 to your elemental attacks until the end of your next turn.
Elemental Soul: At 5th level, you gain resist 10 lightning. At 15th level, you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against ongoing lightning damage. At 25th level, choose either cold or thunder. You gain resist 10 to the chosen damage type and a +2 bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage of that type.
Fly: At 23rd level, you can fly up to half your speed as a move action.

Energy Essence (11th level): If you hit with an arcane attack power that deals more than one type of damage, you deal 1d6 extra damage.
Essential Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls with arcane powers until the start of your next turn.
Essential Resistance (16th level): Whenever you gain resistance, increase that resistance by 3 (or by 4 at 21st level and higher)

Feats

War Wizard's Expertise

Mark of Storm Whenever you hit an enemy with a thunder or lightning power, you can slide that enemy 1 square.
You gain a +1 bonus to speed when flying.
You can master and perform the Endure Elements, Enhance Vessel, Summon Winds, and Water Walk rituals as if you had the Ritual Caster feat.

Primordial Surge Whenever you successfully use a genasi racial power, you gain temporary hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier.

Superior Implement (Resonating Dagger)

Genasi Frost Affinity If you have resistance to cold, increase that resistance by 3. You are immune to any slow and immobilize effects caused by cold powers

Improved Defenses

Arcane Admixture (Thunder/Static Charge)

Arcane Admixture (Thunder/Elemental Bolt)

Resounding Thunder add 1 to the size of any blast or burst that has the thunder keyword

Thunder's Rumble You gain a +3 feat bonus to thunder damage rolls. This bonus increases to +4 at 21st level.
In addition, whenever you take thunder damage from an attack, you can push each creature adjacent to you 1 square

Lightning Arc On crit, additional target takes normal damage instead of maximizing damage.

Dekkah
2012-05-31, 07:33 PM
Grey wolf was right and found my myth-weaver sheet (Alvah (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=339147))

Dacia Brabant
2012-05-31, 07:41 PM
Welcome aboard, sharkbait *cough* shipmates! :smallbiggrin:

Glad to see that in addition to the new Leader we'll also have another Striker. Kihtsah (Reverent-One) has been pulling double duty on that for a while now so hopefully this'll speed up the fights somewhat. Looking forward to pirate-hunting with you both!

In other business: I am waiting on a group consensus on what Amirah should do: do we want her to try to recover some of the loot, or play it safe and stick around in case Vertasi tries something else?

I think with the new folks introducing themselves, it's a safe bet the battle's done, so I say go for it. Hopefully that magic mace will still be recoverable.

Chambers
2012-06-01, 11:25 AM
I've bought 1,000gp of Residuum, so that can be added to the table once Jalil is in the party.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-01, 11:27 AM
I've bought 1,000gp of Residuum, so that can be added to the table once Jalil is in the party.

Residuum is not for sale in this campaign world - thus why there is none in the table. It can only be obtained from disenchanting magical items. You'll have to hedge your bets of what you're going to need.

Edit: source (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10421232&postcount=50) and DM confirmation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10421232&postcount=51)

Edit 2: At the very least, you'll want a bit in nature herbs - we have used a breathe in water/swimming ability ritual in every fight so far (what with most fights being ship-to-ship)

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-06-01, 11:39 AM
Can you add a row in the component table for me with :

Alchemical Reagents 300
Mystic Salves 0
Rare Herbs 50
Sanctified Incense 150

Thanks

Chambers
2012-06-01, 11:41 AM
Hmm, didn't know that. I'll just replace it with whatever components the three rituals she knows need.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-01, 11:49 AM
Can you add a row in the component table for me with :

Alchemical Reagents 300
Mystic Salves 0
Rare Herbs 50
Sanctified Incense 150

Thanks

Sure.

@Shadow Elf: What is the official decision on what to do with the components left behind by the hunters leaving the ship? I can think of two alternatives: gifting it to the newcomers, or leaving it as commonly owned. In the last case, I'll keep subtracting from it (maybe preferentially) as we use it up until all of it is gone.

Hmm, didn't know that. I'll just replace it with whatever components the three rituals she knows need.

That was my point in the second edit above: don't assume that you need to only cover your own rituals - we have a common pot so that group rituals (such as walking on water) aren't paid only by the person performing it, but by everyone that benefits from it.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-01, 11:52 AM
Sure.

@Shadow Elf: What is the official decision on what to do with the components left behind by the hunters leaving the ship? I can think of two alternatives: gifting it to the newcomers, or leaving it as commonly owned. In the last case, I'll keep subtracting from it (maybe preferentially) as we use it up until all of it is gone.

Humm... well, its not exactly fair to just gift it to the newcomers, but on the other hand neither of them has much change handy for buying components to pay their share of rituals. I suppose its up to the party, its a book keeping aspect for you guys, not for me :smalltongue:.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-01, 12:01 PM
Humm... well, its not exactly fair to just gift it to the newcomers, but on the other hand neither of them has much change handy for buying components to pay their share of rituals. I suppose its up to the party, its a book keeping aspect for you guys, not for me :smalltongue:.

Well, I was more referring to whether Hakhpur was carrying his components when he disappeared in the sea, and whether Teshiq will be taking his when he disembarks, or if we get to keep them. If we do keep them, I agree it's not exactly fair to give them to the newcomers, so I think I'll make them part of the common pot to only be used for group-wide rituals.

In any case, table updated.

Grey Wolf

Chambers
2012-06-01, 12:03 PM
That was my point in the second edit above: don't assume that you need to only cover your own rituals - we have a common pot so that group rituals (such as walking on water) aren't paid only by the person performing it, but by everyone that benefits from it.

Sure, but she's not going to carry around components for rituals that she doesn't use. Once she's in the group, trading and sharing can happen, but she wouldn't do so otherwise.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-01, 12:08 PM
Sure, but she's not going to carry around components for rituals that she doesn't use. Once she's in the group, trading and sharing can happen, but she wouldn't do so otherwise.

You can buy rituals components from the ship's quartermaster, so you may want to reserve some money for that. Your character would have been informed of the need to pay for her own part in the pre-battle rituals, so it's not altogether farfetched she would have bought a few before joining officially.

Grey Wolf

Chambers
2012-06-01, 12:32 PM
Honestly I'm not entirely sure what she does know about the ship. Also, are any of your characters native Ro the City of God? It's where she's from, so there's room for past histories.

Dekkah
2012-06-01, 12:52 PM
I am not native from there, but I do have some contacts from there and I have been there many times in my past.

Reverent-One
2012-06-01, 01:12 PM
Grey, what's with the asterisks by some names on the table?

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-01, 01:50 PM
All of the group's ritual supplies are in the apothecary unless you guys say otherwise, so Hakhpur's components are still there. Teshiq will give away his components as a parting gift, and I will find some way to decrease party loot slightly to compensate.

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-01, 02:12 PM
Honestly I'm not entirely sure what she does know about the ship. Also, are any of your characters native Ro the City of God? It's where she's from, so there's room for past histories.

I don't believe so, but Captain Shaur and the Midnight Mirage would be well known there certainly.

So did Vertasi or Alaq have anything of value on them?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-01, 07:18 PM
Grey, what's with the asterisks by some names on the table?

They mark the people that overpaid last time the division of the ritual cost was not even (it usually won't be, when dividing by 6). They paid 1 more than the others, and thus next time I will start the overpaying with the first person not marked with an asterisk.

Yes, I'm fastidious about making sure we all share the burden equally.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-02, 01:41 AM
Alright, here's the magical treasure from this encounter:

+2 Clearsighted Wand of Howling Wall
Level 9 Item; 4200 GP
Property: When you use the wizard spell howling wall, you remove any obscuring terrain within the wall such as smoke, fog or steam, until the end of your next turn.
Power, Encounter, Standard Action: As the Wizard power, howling wall
Power, Daily, Standard Action, Close Burst 10: Remove all obscuring terrain, such as smoke, fog or steam. So long as you wield the wand, such terrain features cannot enter the burst until the end of the encounter, or until you end this effect as a minor action or stow the wand.
This is the wand Alaq used at the beginning of the encounter to clear the fog. You confiscate it from him.

+2 Sheloq's Morningstar
Level 6 Item; 1800 GP
Property: If you would use a power that increases your size category, but nearby creatures would prevent you from doing so, you may push those creatures up to 1 square to accommodate your new size.
This is the morningstar used by the oni. Amirah handily recovers it from underwater.

+4 Pendant of the Vengeful Soul
Level 18 Item; 85000 GP
Property: When you make two attack rolls because of oath of enmity, and both would result in a hit, you gain an item bonus to the damage roll of that attack equal to the pendant's enhancement bonus.
Property: When you use your oath of enmity power, the target is also marked by you until the end of your next turn.

Power, One-Use, Minor Action: You declare your object of hatred as one sentient creature whose name you know. The creature remains your object of hatred until you slay it, or until you die. While a creature remains your object of hatred, this pendant cannot be removed from you. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls against your object of hatred, and while within 20 squares of you, that creature is marked by you. If the creature makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you may shift up to your speed to a square adjacent to your object of hatred and make a melee basic attack against it as an immediate reaction. If your object of hatred is within 20 squares of you, you cannot use oath of enmity except on your object of hatred. If your object of hatred would be slain while within 20 squares of you, the blow cannot be nonlethal, regardless of the aggressor.

Once this item's power has been used and the object of hatred slain, you no longer gain the benefits of the item's properties against any creature (effectively making this a simple +4 Amulet of Protection in your hands).
The amulet used by Qurab and given to Kihtsah with his dying breath.

And mundane items to be sold in port which will contribute to an eventual "paycheck" of sorts.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-04, 02:13 PM
No comments on the loot? Do you guys want me to just fast-forward to the debrief with Shaur, or is there RP you still want to get done?

Also, I am considering adding a fourth piece of magical loot. I will post it here when I have decided what I want it to be. I will also update the party experience tally shortly.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-04, 02:16 PM
No comments on the loot? Do you guys want me to just fast-forward to the debrief with Shaur, or is there RP you still want to get done?

Also, I am considering adding a fourth piece of magical loot. I will post it here when I have decided what I want it to be. I will also update the party experience tally shortly.

Can't use any of it, so there is nothing for me to comment on. I suspect we will be residuum'ing several of the pieces - IIRC, there is a sword from the previous encounter that has gone unclaimed.

I was kinda waiting on XP before posting again, but I'll probably post after work today regardless.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-04, 02:44 PM
Alright, I have edited the XP count for the party. You are now more than halfway to level 16! Huzzah!

I also took the liberty of adding an extra piece of magical treasure. Vertasi's boots, as it turns out, are magical. Unless Medinah or Amirah wants to wear them, you may want to transfer the enchantment to boots that don't have stiletto heels built in.

Equilibrium Boots of the Snake
Level 7 - 2600 GP
Property: You move normally on slippery surfaces, such as grease or ice.
Power, Free Action, Encounter. Trigger: You are subject to forced movement and/or would be knocked prone. Effect: You are not knocked prone, cannot be knocked off a ledge by the movement and may shift 1 square after the force movement is resolved.

ninja_penguin
2012-06-04, 07:07 PM
Hey, sorry about that, I completely forgot to add a subscription over here on this thread! Oy.

I'm also in the process of completely recompiling all of my stuff about Rahman, and getting an actual physical sheet punched up with the various information that never seems to stick on the myth-weavers sheet.

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-04, 07:18 PM
Not interested in the mace or the wand, but Medinah would wear stiletto heels, that's in character for her, but if anyone else would like the enchantment they're free to claim it.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-04, 07:20 PM
Not interested in the mace or the wand, but Medinah would wear stiletto heels, that's in character for her, but if anyone else would like the enchantment they're free to claim it.

As I just edited in, Amirah will pass. I prefer the fencing boots she already is using. My AC and Reflex needs it, and with a free shift per turn, it is very easy for me to make use of the property.

Grey Wolf

Reverent-One
2012-06-04, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm calling the amulet. :smalltongue:

Don't have much other than freeing the rest of the crew before the briefing.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-05, 10:32 PM
The witch left that battle before you guys; to avoid giving the pirates a big head start, you pursued her and left Hakhpur and croc to deal with the sharks.

EDIT: Just reminding you of this because it has been a long time for you, the players, but a relatively short time for your characters, so they would know the details.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-06, 01:50 PM
The witch left that battle before you guys; to avoid giving the pirates a big head start, you pursued her and left Hakhpur and croc to deal with the sharks.

EDIT: Just reminding you of this because it has been a long time for you, the players, but a relatively short time for your characters, so they would know the details.

Edited to make it more accurate.

New response will come this afternoon, when I have time to figure out where I rolled the ritual's check - although IIRC it was max length - and I get access to the books to check how long that was.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-06-08, 11:55 AM
Shadow : I usually dont read what happened before I join a game (or what happens when my character should not see it) so I dont have too much information and mix what I know with what my character know.
So I have am not reading what is happening right now.
Is that ok or do you want me to check out what happened so far to have a general idea of the story?.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-08, 12:12 PM
Shadow : I usually dont read what happened before I join a game (or what happens when my character should not see it) so I dont have too much information and mix what I know with what my character know.
Is that ok or do you want me to check out what happened so far to have a general idea of the story?.

(Fielding this one)

The Midnight Mirage, the ship you've been recruited for, is one of the most famous Pirate Hunter ships there are (if not the most). You should be familiar with who its captain is, but probably not the specific Hunters on board (those are the PCs), since there is a lot of churn of that team. You also know there is a naval war coming against a race of lizards (the she-da-zhong) living in the western continent, and that Pirate Hunters are involved. The ship is returning from its latest trip to hunt pirates, and your character will likely hear that they successfully captured a pirate captain in that trip, but probably wouldn't know the details (other than that two spots need to be filled).

Other than that, I'd say that if you want to keep IC and OOC knowledge separate, you don't need to read what's going on IC. We can let you know when we get to port and you can join us IC - we are almost on our way, shouldn't take more than a few more DM posts to get there.

That said, feel free to ask questions which you think you should know the answers for.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-08, 01:24 PM

Given that Alvah has been one of Shaur's Hunters before, he knows the captain, Kaal One-Eye, her first mate, Duke, the cook, and Kalam Delat, the quartermaster. He may know some of the older crew members. In terms of the plot, the party will bring him up to date on most of what has transpired so far; you can feel free to read the IC thread, but it is not required.

On the subject of out-of-character knowledge, how does everyone feel about "cutscenes" where a bit of story the characters don't witness is posted in the IC thread?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-08, 06:55 PM
On the subject of out-of-character knowledge, how does everyone feel about "cutscenes" where a bit of story the characters don't witness is posted in the IC thread?

I like to get the full context of a story, so I don't mind them at all - in fact, I would love to know e.g. what's being planned for the allied fleet, without having to wait until we get a second-handed description from the Captain. Yes, strictly speaking Amirah would not know about it, but it is easier sometimes to describe what's happening, than to have someone describe what happened after the fact.

Grey Wolf

Reverent-One
2012-06-08, 07:26 PM

It's fine with me.

Chambers
2012-06-08, 07:54 PM
Sounds good to me.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-08, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have any input for the current scene, in the Map Room, or shall I do a similar scene in Luardo once Vertasi's offloaded and the new members added?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-08, 08:50 PM
Does anyone have any input for the current scene, in the Map Room, or shall I do a similar scene in Luardo once Vertasi's offloaded and the new members added?

Amirah has said all she needs to, although she'll happily answer further questions, she won't add anything.

GW

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-08, 09:04 PM
The only thing I'd like to do between the map room scene (sorry, I really can't think of anything for Medinah to offer for that at the moment) and arriving in Luardo is a brief interlude for Medinah to inquire of Vertasi how she manages her illusion trick--considering her nature it's something she'd have an interest in.

Oh and I'm perfectly fine with the cutscene idea.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-08, 09:28 PM
Alright. I am going to wrap up the map room cutscene; until Sunday Night, you are all free to have "scenes" with any other characters on the boat. It doesn't have to be chronological; just a chance for you to speak with Vertasi, Kalam, Shaur, each other, etc. You can also claim loot, disenchant loot and transfer loot enchantments.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-10, 10:52 PM
Was going to wrap this up tonight, but I know that NP had some things he wanted to do on the trip and Amirah and Kihtsah appear to be having a fun conversation, so I will extend it to tomorrow evening.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-10, 11:00 PM
Was going to wrap this up tonight, but I know that NP had some things he wanted to do on the trip and Amirah and Kihtsah appear to be having a fun conversation, so I will extend it to tomorrow evening.

It was on my list to try and get some interaction with non-Medinah PCs. I did not anticipate it to go down this alley, though. Playing a six year old girl with a restricted life experience is quite fun, I have to admit.

Grey Wolf

ninja_penguin
2012-06-11, 07:16 PM
Yes, sorry. Aside from the usual weekend work shenanigans, I had my modem/router die today, and I've spent the better part of the day fixing it. Will be heading over to read up and get posting right now.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-13, 10:56 AM
Alright, Dekkah and Chambers, you can post your "interview" scenes in the IC thread. You're not there at the same time, but feel free to post at the same time. This is just a chance to roleplay your entry (or in Alvah's case, re-entry) into the crew, while the other Hunters have a chance to explore Luardo for the day. In a couple of days, I will have a meeting with all the Hunters and the new recruits that takes place on the evening of the 33rd, where the crew will decide their next move.

Dekkah
2012-06-13, 03:05 PM
I'll post in tommorow, no time right now (Got to go get the kids).

Chambers
2012-06-14, 08:26 AM
Ah, I was wondering what the word!word meant. Thanks, that makes sense. I think I'll play it as she thinks it's normal speech. That's how everyone else is responding to Amirah, right? So without thinking about it that'd be how Jalil responds as well, as she wouldn't expect otherwise.

Kinda the deal where you react to how it's presented, etc.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-14, 08:34 AM
Ah, I was wondering what the word!word meant. Thanks, that makes sense. I think I'll play it as she thinks it's normal speech. That's how everyone else is responding to Amirah, right? So without thinking about it that'd be how Jalil responds as well, as she wouldn't expect otherwise.

Kinda the deal where you react to how it's presented, etc.

The people on board are aware she is telepathic - it's not really a secret, just something not publicized. It's actually important, because she can be used to pass along messages - you talk mentally to her, she talks mentally to the person you want to send the message to. Since she can "speak" to anyone she can see, that is useful when on ship-to-ship talks. It also cannot be overheard, which may be important at some point.

The only limitation is that she has to initiate the communication (she's not naturally telepathic, it's a magic item that gives her the ability), so the agreement is that you hold two fingers to your temple when she is looking at you, and she will call you - you can then respond telepathically. Again, everyone on board knows this, and you'll be filled in later once you are part of the crew.

Grey Wolf

Chambers
2012-06-14, 09:14 PM
She wasn't being flippant about that, by the way. It's hard to read tone sometimes in PbP, but she wasn't intending to give the impression of treating it like an inn. Just trying to segue into the more business side of the conversation.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-14, 09:32 PM
It wasn't so much that Shaur interpreted it that way as that she was using the inn metaphor to explain her policy more clearly.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-15, 07:57 AM
Is it established in her backstory how long Shaur has "owned" Medinah? If it is ten years or more, Medinah will know Alvah. Pretty sure the rest of the Hunters have not be aboard that long, so she'd be the only one except the NPCs to potentially recognize him.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-15, 08:10 AM
Pretty sure the rest of the Hunters have not be aboard that long

Amirah hasn't even existed that long.

GW

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-15, 09:19 AM
Is it established in her backstory how long Shaur has "owned" Medinah? If it is ten years or more, Medinah will know Alvah. Pretty sure the rest of the Hunters have not be aboard that long, so she'd be the only one except the NPCs to potentially recognize him.

That's a good question. In her backstory it says "for years" but the exact number is left unstated, so I guess the question is, how long ago would it make sense for Shaur to have been in Mushayar to find her and have her reanimated. Not knowing what elaborate backstory you've created for the Captain, I don't know if I can answer that, so I'm fine with whatever seems appropriate to you.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-15, 11:26 AM
That's a good question. In her backstory it says "for years" but the exact number is left unstated, so I guess the question is, how long ago would it make sense for Shaur to have been in Mushayar to find her and have her reanimated. Not knowing what elaborate backstory you've created for the Captain, I don't know if I can answer that, so I'm fine with whatever seems appropriate to you.

I think I will say that Shaur has had Medinah for over a decade, and so Medinah would know Alvah reasonably well.

Chambers
2012-06-15, 11:53 AM
I get the impression that Warforged aren't common in this world, and that they're left over artifacts from the Admajai. Would her training in Arcana help her recognize the odd voice as belonging to a warforged? It's not vital, I'm just curious as to how many people know about them.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-15, 11:57 AM
History would tell you about warforged, and with a sufficiently high check you'd recognize the voice as belonging to one. Insight would let you see through the illusion to reveal the real Medinah, while Arcana would tell you that she radiates magic, and a high enough check would tell you that she is powered by it, but Arcana won't tell you why her voice is like that unless the check is high enough to realize she is a magic-powered construct.

Chambers
2012-06-15, 12:05 PM
Got it. No History or Insight to speak of, so Arcana away!

Arcana [roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-15, 12:09 PM
Jalil:
Medinah positively radiates magic. Her equipment has its own auras, but the woman herself is somehow magical. You sense multiple aspects, including life and spirit-related magic, but you're not entirely sure what the magic is for.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-18, 07:10 AM
Alright, I think Medinah is waiting on a response from Jalil and Shaur and Amirah on Alvah. I am timeskipping to the meeting tonight to keep the game moving.

I will update quest XP from the Vertasi quest tonight, when I have my DMG handy. If there's something anyone wanted to do in town, now would be a good time to post that (you can also assume you did it without making a post of it).

Dekkah
2012-06-18, 08:29 AM
I shall reply tonight... I am on training right now... tommorow I'll also have a meeting (both out for town).

Chambers
2012-06-18, 12:59 PM
I'll post this evening as well. jalil doesn't have any business that would require additional scenes.

ninja_penguin
2012-06-18, 05:03 PM
I think Rahman is going to be busy for a while enchantment swapping and probably alchemisting it up for a little while.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-18, 05:27 PM
I'm OK with moving on, unless Scylfing wants to add something to the trip - and we can do that in split narration. As to Alvah, we can assume Amirah gave him a briefed backstory: Creator created Amirah, didn't like the fact she had a will of her own, tried to destroy her, she ran away, boarded a ship, eventually ended up in the Pirate Hunters. She wouldn't reveal she used to be a pirate, nor the details about her creator. She'd also make a point about how she isn't "made of insects" but that she is the insects (and arachnids, and other invertebrates). But I've played the "alien creature" card a lot in my last few posts, so I'll save it for some other time.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-18, 07:12 PM
Yeah that's fine, feel free to skip ahead to tonight. I think your post pretty well covered the atmosphere of their trip to town, GW, and if I can think of anything to add I'll just do that in a split post.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-19, 08:01 PM
Untrained check, just in case:

[roll0]

Beyond this, I don't have anything to add to the current scene.

Grey Wolf

ninja_penguin
2012-06-19, 08:56 PM
Woo, history:

[roll0]

I'll see that that ends up as, and then have a go at it later.

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-19, 10:09 PM
History's not exactly Medinah's specialty, but you never know, might get a 20. :P

[roll0]

Reverent-One
2012-06-19, 10:10 PM
History-[roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-19, 10:12 PM
I'm amused by the fact we have all managed to roll higher than the history expert :P

GW

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-19, 10:47 PM
That's the problem with history majors nowadays, they're way over-specialized and don't know squat outside their concentration. Ask Rahman a question about History of Alchemy and he'd probably rattle on for hours.

:smallwink:

Chambers
2012-06-19, 11:04 PM
With only a +10 History bonus Jalil can't hit the 33, so not bothering to roll that. Not unsurprising that the other merchant families are getting involved in hunting the pirates as well.

Dekkah
2012-06-20, 09:12 AM
History : [roll0]

Dekkah
2012-06-20, 09:14 AM
Bah, I am just short of 2 points!!

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-20, 09:41 AM
You know, rechecking the DCs, I think Alvah ought to get it anyway. Go ahead and read the spoiler, Dekkah.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-20, 09:44 AM
You know, rechecking the DCs, I think Alvah ought to get it anyway. Go ahead and read the spoiler, Dekkah.

Oh, good. Please: go ahead and paraphrase it for the rest of us. If you don't want to say it out loud, you can always have Amirah get everyone up to speed silently without interrupting the captain.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-06-22, 11:22 AM
Grey_Wolf : I almost forgot. Alvah is quite the storyteller and didnt had time to tell you much about himself (as he does take time to describe his tales ).

You've learned that he worked on the Midnight Mirage a few years ago and had to leave the crew two years ago to get to his dying mother side.

He told you a few adventures he've got on the midnight Mirage. You also learned that he had been working on this ship before that period as well (a long time ago), but left it to do some adventures on the continent.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-22, 04:10 PM
Oh, I thought the backstory was established as him having been on the ship ten years ago. I think Amirah, Kihtsah and Rahman are all established as relatively recent additions to the crew, so I think only Medinah would remember him, but he would know Teshiq, who he is being called in to replace. We can just say that Shaur explained to him that Teshiq was leaving to find and rescue Hakhpur.

NP, are you waiting on a PM of some sort from me to convey your report, or is it just RL getting in the way of posting? Let me know ASAP, so we can move this scene forward.

ninja_penguin
2012-06-24, 06:38 PM
Obnoxiously spotty internet, along with my usual 'why was this a good idea oh right they pay me hilarious money' hours.

Dekkah
2012-06-27, 08:58 AM
I just wanna note that I am still here. I just dont have anything to add to the scene right now :).

Dacia Brabant
2012-06-27, 10:18 AM
Likewise, I think we're waiting on NP's internets to start working again.

There is a reason Medinah hasn't said a word in the conference yet, by the way. Just sayin.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-27, 10:30 AM
While we wait, we could make an OOC decision on our next move - unless we are about to get railroaded (which isn't Shadow Elf's style), as I see it we have three options:
1) Go pirate hunting for the rest of the thematically named pirates
2) Go treasure hunting for whatever big revelation sword brain is about to unveil
3) Go head hunting and sail into the middle of the war.

Which one do we want to do? As a player, I'd say 2, but Amirah will prefer 1.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-06-27, 10:34 AM
As I dont really know much of the story yet, I dont havea real preference.

2 Sound a good choice. Treasue is always good :).

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-27, 10:40 AM
As I dont really know much of the story yet, I dont havea real preference.

2 Sound a good choice. Treasue is always good :).

Ummm... sorry, I should've explained. "Treasure" in this context means "magical atomic bomb". We have a ritual that could blow the entire enemy fleet sky-high (according to the legends) and one of our sidequests is to translate it so we can use it. Amirah hasn't had much luck with her research, but it feels like Rahman has had a breakthrough.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-27, 07:29 PM
Tomorrrow evening, I will just narrate what Rahman says, since I think most of it based on information I had to PM him anyway.

Reverent-One
2012-06-27, 09:13 PM
Seems I haven't missed much in my absence. I won't be around much this weekend either.

While we wait, we could make an OOC decision on our next move - unless we are about to get railroaded (which isn't Shadow Elf's style), as I see it we have three options:
1) Go pirate hunting for the rest of the thematically named pirates
2) Go treasure hunting for whatever big revelation sword brain is about to unveil
3) Go head hunting and sail into the middle of the war.

Which one do we want to do? As a player, I'd say 2, but Amirah will prefer 1.

Grey Wolf

I think Kihtsah would lean towards 3 given the seriousness of it. 2 would be second.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-27, 09:16 PM
I think Kihtsah would lean towards 3 given the seriousness of it. 2 would be second.

We have time for 3, though. The war isn't going to be solved in a night. I mean, we'll see what the captain says, but I suspect we should have time for a few more sidequesting before plunging head-first into the war.

GW

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-30, 11:16 AM
Grey Wolf has pretty much correctly surmised your options at this point. Three options may not seem like much, but know that I like choices to have consequences in the game, so picking any of the three, and how you go about them, will affect the other threads as well (for example, the Dvernin being apprehended by the Gift. If you'd gone for the Dvernin, Vertasi would have been taken by the Gift and you'd know less about that plot, but perhaps more about others). Of course, if you guys come up with an option 4 totally out of left field, I am happy to plan around it and run with it.

Chambers
2012-06-30, 09:08 PM
I'll vote for option 1 or 2. They're special missons. Jalil didn't sign up to fight in the war like regular sailors. :smallwink:

Chambers
2012-06-30, 09:10 PM
Double post to fix the error.

Shadow_Elf
2012-06-30, 09:19 PM
Well, the war-related option is specifically headhunting, not front-line soldier-sailing.

Chambers
2012-06-30, 09:36 PM
True, but hunting the Named Powers sounds more exotic, and thus more interesting to her. She also wants to learn more about the Powers.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-01, 11:35 AM
Medinah would want to vote for door number 1, since she views the Thematically Named Pirates as the most direct and immediate threat to the Captain and the ship; however, since Rahman knows the location for door number 2, it makes a lot of sense to go for that one first.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-03, 05:01 PM
Alright, here are the three options. If I can get everyone's OOC preference, I will narrate an IC justification for that choice and then speed things along to the next important scene.

1: Hunt down the Pirate Lord of Fear.
2: Look for the cipher component in Ilud.
3: Hunt for your She-Da-Zhong targets.
4: Some fourth option we haven't fully considered.

Reverent-One
2012-07-03, 11:34 PM
Alright, here are the three options. If I can get everyone's OOC preference, I will narrate an IC justification for that choice and then speed things along to the next important scene.

1: Hunt down the Pirate Lord of Fear.
2: Look for the cipher component in Ilud.
3: Hunt for your She-Da-Zhong targets.
4: Some fourth option we haven't fully considered.

Option 2 for me.

Dekkah
2012-07-04, 06:56 AM
I am up for anything, but my vote is for number 2 :).

ninja_penguin
2012-07-05, 01:18 PM
Hey everybody. Just letting people know that I should be back to normal on Monday for all things.

(cue my new router exploding, or something, on Sunday night)

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-05, 06:09 PM
Alright, the general trend appears to be towards option 2, looking back through everyone's previous posts. I will push the game forward to that end tomorrow night; if you'd like to post an idea to the contrary, try to do so before then.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-06, 06:12 PM
Alright, once we have wrapped up this scene, which will just take a few responses to the captain for character consistency's sake, I'll do a sweeping narration and a cutscene or two in a big megapost sometime this weekend.

Does anyone want to do anything specific in the City of God, or can I skip it during the narration in favour of ending on the first decision point?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-06, 06:22 PM
Does anyone want to do anything specific in the City of God, or can I skip it during the narration in favour of ending on the first decision point?

I'm fine with skipping the touristy part in the City of God.

GW

Reverent-One
2012-07-06, 08:50 PM
Same here.

ninja_penguin
2012-07-07, 07:05 PM
Drive by posting just to let people know that my real life insanity has finally calmed down, and I should be back Sunday night or Monday to some semblance or normalcy.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-08, 11:18 AM
Cool, welcome back. I was starting to wonder if you'd been Tang-ified like your avatar. :smallsmile:

Shadow_Elf, when you do your sweeping narration if you could add a small bit in there where Medinah talks privately with Shaur and Kalam about what she learned from Vertasi, that'd be helpful. Otherwise I'm fine with skipping the touristy bits.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-08, 12:37 PM
Perhaps that'd be better handled via PMs, Scyl. Feel free to fire me one at any time and we'll run that scene that way.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-08, 12:44 PM
Sure, that'll be fine. It'll give me an excuse to clean out my PM box.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-08, 10:56 PM
Alright everyone, roll initiative! Something fun's about to happen :smallwink:.

I hope you enjoy the cutscene, and that you don't use the metaknowledge to your advantage too much. If I feel that the game is being steered away from certain decisions based on information gained from such cutscenes, I'll stop writing them or make them less plot-relevant. But I really enjoyed writing this post, and I know you're all great players, so I hope we can separate player and character knowledge and I'll get to keep enjoying writing little scenes like this in the future. Enjoy!

Chambers
2012-07-08, 11:24 PM
Nice execution. :smallwink:

Init [roll0]

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-08, 11:53 PM
Clearly a sign that Medinah needs to be more ruthless. :smallwink:

Initiative: [roll0]

Dekkah
2012-07-09, 08:59 AM
Sorry for my lack of reply, I had no time this week end.

Alvah would had probably kicked back and listen to everyone to discern their personnality.

Initiative : [roll0]

Chambers
2012-07-09, 10:33 AM
Interested to see what's going to happen. This is my first time seeing an Elementalist in play so I'm curious to see how the class performs. I feel that she'll do well; she's a striker with a splash of control, useful in pretty much any combat.

As an aside, I enjoyed reading the time skip.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-09, 11:09 AM
she's a striker with a splash of control, useful in pretty much any combat.

Amirah is a controller with a splash of striking, so this could be amusing.

[roll0]
And another high initiative roll. Well, it goes with Amirah being the one with, literally, a thousand eyes out for trouble. And that's not even counting the compound ones as more than one.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-09, 06:07 PM
Alright, here's our initiative order. I am going to try doing the real initiative model; since I've found combat slow even with group initiative, I figure it can't really slow it down much more. If it doesn't work well, we'll go back to group initiative next combat.

Kihtsah Initiative: [roll0]
Rahman Initiative: [roll1]

Order:
????: 35
????: 28+
Amirah: 28-
Rahman: 21
????: 19+
Medinah: 19-
Alvah: 17
Kihtsah: 16
Jalil: 9

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-09, 06:40 PM
Alright, here's our initiative order. I am going to try doing the real initiative model; since I've found combat slow even with group initiative, I figure it can't really slow it down much more. If it doesn't work well, we'll go back to group initiative next combat.

I have to say that I wasn't a great believer in individual initiative for PbP, but the last few games I joined have been using it and, indeed, it does not noticeably slow down combat more than using group initiative. In fact, I thought we had been using individual initiative in the last combat...

Besides, given how fast these guys are, it is practically a group initiative battle. Are you working on the first battle post right now? Or will it take a few days to set up?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-09, 07:48 PM
I have to say that I wasn't a great believer in individual initiative for PbP, but the last few games I joined have been using it and, indeed, it does not noticeably slow down combat more than using group initiative. In fact, I thought we had been using individual initiative in the last combat...

Besides, given how fast these guys are, it is practically a group initiative battle. Are you working on the first battle post right now? Or will it take a few days to set up?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

Working on the first post, but I am still setting it up and making rolls and whatnot. Expect the start of combat post tomorrow evening.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-10, 09:56 PM
IC Post is up! Amirah's turn is now, followed by Rahman.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-10, 10:11 PM
Good grief. Poor Figment. My action will come in a second; first I need to see how many spoilers I can open:

[roll0]

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-10, 10:44 PM
I forgot to mention it in the IC post (since I made that post in several chunks, and forgot some things in between edits), but the dragon who used its breath weapon (#2) is 3 squares up in the air. This will be reflected in status and map in future. Sorry for the mix-up, Grey.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-10, 10:57 PM
I forgot to mention it in the IC post (since I made that post in several chunks, and forgot some things in between edits), but the dragon who used its breath weapon (#2) is 3 squares up in the air. This will be reflected in status and map in future. Sorry for the mix-up, Grey.

I'll need to rewrite my turn, then. It'll have to wait until morning. My actions instead are:

Standard: Swarming Locusts (area, targeted one square above us so it doesn't hit any of us, southwards so it hits dragon 3). I assume I reuse the roll I did, so 26 vs. Reflex. Damage is 1d8+10, so 15. Creates a zone UEMNT: all enemies in the zone grant CA.

Let me know if it hits so I can at least work that into the new post.

Free: Wild shape into humanoid, shift to H15, +1AC +1Ref (and still next to Figment, so I get her bonus as well)

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-10, 10:58 PM
26 vs. Reflex is sadly not a hit.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-10, 11:08 PM
26 vs. Reflex is sadly not a hit.

Great. I assumed that massive beasts traditionally very intelligent with metallic skin would have reflex as their lowest defence. If I was wrong, we should try Will next (Medinah's speciality). But I fear I was right, which means that if an augmented 8 doesn't hit their lowest defence, we're going to have a hard time hitting in general. Oh, well. At least it'll grant CA for a while. Let's make the best of it.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-11, 08:58 AM
Shadow, the dragon is 3 square high... by I assume you mean he is in the 4th square (and 5th since he is large) high with 3 empty square beloow him right?

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-11, 10:56 AM
Shadow, the dragon is 3 square high... by I assume you mean he is in the 4th square (and 5th since he is large) high with 3 empty square beloow him right?

Yes this is what I mean. Height is always from the bottom of the creature's space.

Dekkah
2012-07-11, 11:09 AM
Nature to check spoiler. [roll0]

Dekkah
2012-07-11, 11:44 AM
I dont have access to character sheets right now. Can you guys tell me who prefer to be in melee and who prefer to be in range (I might rearrange the battlefeild a little on my turn).

Also, who got a good Melee basic attack?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-11, 12:09 PM
I dont have access to character sheets right now. Can you guys tell me who prefer to be in melee and who prefer to be in range (I might rearrange the battlefeild a little on my turn).

Also, who got a good Melee basic attack?

Amirah is ranged when in humanoid form (which she is, right now) and melee when in swarm form, but even in swarm she likes to charge. So as a rule of thumb keep enemies away from her unless she has one surrounded.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-11, 12:32 PM
Medinah can tank at melee or ranged, but her damage output is slightly better with Eldritch Strike (her MBA) as long as the target is cursed: 1d8 +2d6 +14 psychic damage, slide 1 and a -4 penalty to attack rolls. Kihtsah's MBA is also strong vs. his oath of enmity target.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-11, 12:40 PM
Medinah can tank at melee or ranged, but her damage output is slightly better with Eldritch Strike (her MBA) as long as the target is cursed: 1d8 +2d6 +14 psychic damage, slide 1 and a -4 penalty to attack rolls. Kihtsah's MBA is also strong vs. his oath of enmity target.

Oh, that reminds me. Amirah's swarm form MBA targets Reflex, and when she has CA it gets +1d10 damage (in both shapes, but her chance of landing an MBA in humanoid form is remote - she carries no weapons and has negative strength). I forgot the extra damage in my post, but it turns out she wouldn't have been able to use it anyway.

So, if she is in her swarm form, using her for MBAs is fine (charging just make it better, with extra to hit and damage)

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-11, 12:45 PM
I am not sure yet if i'll try to ground that flying dragon or deal with the one on the ground. I dont plan oto much yet as 3 others have to play before me :).... can change my plans a little bit too much.

Chambers
2012-07-11, 12:48 PM
Jalil is all Ranged with a few Close attacks if she can't get away. No MBA to speak of but she's got a nasty RBA.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-11, 06:19 PM
We'll be working on a "Delay/Assumed Action" system for individual initiative; each player has roughly 24 hours after the previous player's post to put up their turn, or I will either a) make them "delay" their turn, falling down the initiative order until the player posts or b) perform a default action based on a simple preset guideline (such as "Use At-Will 1 on most accessible target, use Encounter 3 if at least 3 targets and no allies can be targeted." or something similar). Please post which system you want your character run under and, if the latter, give me a simple "default routine" I can perform for you if you miss a post.

For the time being, I am going to be more generous with the turn timer, until everyone's told me what system they personally want me to use for their character. It is NP's turn.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-11, 06:22 PM
We'll be working on a "Delay/Assumed Action" system for individual initiative; each player has roughly 24 hours after the previous player's post to put up their turn, or I will either a) make them "delay" their turn, falling down the initiative order until the player posts or b) perform a default action based on a simple preset guideline (such as "Use At-Will 1 on most accessible target, use Encounter 3 if at least 3 targets and no allies can be targeted." or something similar). Please post which system you want your character run under and, if the latter, give me a simple "default routine" I can perform for you if you miss a post.

For the time being, I am going to be more generous with the turn timer, until everyone's told me what system they personally want me to use for their character. It is NP's turn.

My default actions would be to place an enemy into Figment's Aura, and then charge if possible and MBA it if not. If I have a move action to spare, shift one to get the boots effect activated.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-11, 07:52 PM
Hopefully it won't come up, but my preference for Medinah is to Eldritch Strike a cursed target within melee range (charging if permissible), Eyes of the Vestige if not, with preference for a bloodied opponent marked by Rahman or unmarked--it's best if she stays away from her marked target. Also, if she starts her turn bloodied, she would first use Janissary Zeal with her Amulet of Life, then Warforged Resilience, Second Wind (with an AP if possible). Thanks for letting us do this, I hope that's not too many if/then statements. :smallsmile:

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 09:28 AM
Same for me. Hopefully I will be able to play my turns in time (or tell you in advance what my turn will be). I'd prefer to go on delay if my 24 hours come up.

I know my reply rate during week-ends isnt very good, but I'll do my best during combat to come up with post (or at least give Shadow some instructions if I know I wont be able to post). With a few rare exceptions (thatr I'll warn you about), I usually try to read the post each days (even if I dont always take time/have time to reply).

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 11:56 AM
Shadow_elf : I have aquesiton about healing rain power (from Half-Marid).
I get I must not be bloodied to ba able to use it. But after I get bloodied, does the aura ends whebn I get bloodied or does it last? And if it ends, will it start again when I am not bloodied anymore?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 11:59 AM
Shadow_elf : I have aquesiton about healing rain power (from Half-Marid).
I get I must not be bloodied to ba able to use it. But after I get bloodied, does the aura ends whebn I get bloodied or does it last? And if it ends, will it start again when I am not bloodied anymore?

Can you post the power's wording of the aura's conditionals?

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 12:22 PM
It is from HOZ setting, the racial power.
That is why I ask Shadow_elf spécificaly as he is one of the creator :smallsmile:. Shadow should know how it is intended to work I guess :).

Healing Rain (encounter power)
•You can channel your life energy into elemental water, which you can use to rejuvenate yourself and your allies
•Encounter * Aura, Healing
•Minor Action Personal
•Effect: Spend a healing surge. In addition to regaining hit points, you gain an aura of healing rain out to two squares. At the end of each of your turns, each ally in the aura gains 5 temporary hit points. Increase to 10 temporary hit points at level 11, and to 15 temporary hit points at level 21. The aura lasts until you are bloodied.
•Special: You cannot use this power if you are bloodied.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 12:26 PM
It is from HOZ setting, the racial power.
That is why I ask Shadow_elf spécificaly as he is one of the creator :smallsmile:. Shadow should know how it is intended to work I guess :).

I'm afraid that the power is quite clear: the moment you are bloodied, the aura ends.

Sorry.

Grey Wolf

Edit: Good grief, that feels overpowered compared to most racial powers...

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 12:38 PM
I agree Grey wolf, it is quite strong.
I just wanted to make sure how it worked.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 01:00 PM
I agree Grey wolf, it is quite strong.
I just wanted to make sure how it worked.

Not a prob. "The aura lasts until you are bloodied" is quite clear - it ends when you are bloodied. It won't come back if you go back up above bloodied.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 01:23 PM
Ok, I just noticed it now that you quoted it.... (it is after the scaling Temp HP bonus explanation).
I was looking in the special line only for the timing... silly me.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 01:31 PM
Ok, I just noticed it now that you quoted it.... (it is after the scaling Temp HP bonus explanation).
I was looking in the special line only for the timing... silly me.

Glad to be of help. Slow day at work, so it's nice to have something to do.

GW

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 02:51 PM
Yuck, bad roll there Ninja... :smallannoyed:

What Aegis are you using BTW? Because if you use The assault one, I' might move you away form the dragon to get a chance to trigger it :).

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 02:55 PM
Yuck, bad roll there Ninja... :smallannoyed:

What Aegis are you using BTW? Because if you use The assault one, I' might move you away form the dragon to get a chance to trigger it :).

So long as you don't move him out of the CA area...

Grey Wolf

ninja_penguin
2012-07-12, 02:57 PM
Shielding swordmage. Still need to be elsewhere to trigger it, but Rahman's also got decent AC and all that jazz, so it's probably not best to scoot him out of the way.

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 02:58 PM
What is that area zone exactly ? (Coordinates).
Beside, I am planning to move Rahman, not the dragon.
I havea few push/slide power for enemies, but I plays a lot with my allies position as well.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 03:03 PM
What is that area zone exactly ? (Coordinates).
Beside, I am planning to move Rahman, not the dragon.
I havea few push/slide power for enemies, but I plays a lot with my allies position as well.

CA cube is J17-L19, one square above the ground, going up three squares.

I suspect the dragon will attempt to leave, so if there was a way to keep it there (hint hint Medinah), it would be nice. I can sick a puppy on him and prone him next turn, if I roll better than this turn, which might lock him in place. We certainly don't want him taking flight if we can help it.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 03:13 PM
I might actually prone him myself.

While we dont know yet, I assume a 3rd dragon will come out to attack... my guess is that he is in M12 or J6 area (that is where I would had placed it for an efficient surrounding ambush).

If he comes is in range, I might first AP and Burst on the 3, possibly teleport some of you adjacent to them so you are in melee range and get a bonus on your attacks, then use my regular action with an other power that will prone ID3 and give you all your attack chance to prone enemies for one round.

Of course, that is all assuming I manage to hit... lol.

ninja_penguin
2012-07-12, 04:01 PM
Trivia: I think the only time I've actually hit with silverlight strike is when SHadow_Elf used it for me.

Also, Shadow_Elf, it'd be great DM trolling sometime if we fight three things, and they're labeled Thing 2,3, and 5.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 04:04 PM
Also, Shadow_Elf, it'd be great DM trolling sometime if we fight three things, and they're labeled Thing 2,3, and 5.

He did that in the last fight, once we figured which enemies where minions by their numbers - he started giving them random numbers all around.

Of course, by then Amirah had control of the deck, and most minions ended up washed overboard the turn they popped up, so it wasn't too obvious. But it was in my mind that some of the pirates could potentially survive.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-12, 05:41 PM
CA cube is J17-L19, one square above the ground, going up three squares.

I suspect the dragon will attempt to leave, so if there was a way to keep it there (hint hint Medinah), it would be nice. I can sick a puppy on him and prone him next turn, if I roll better than this turn, which might lock him in place. We certainly don't want him taking flight if we can help it.

Grey Wolf

Unfortunately Medinah is prone, which will eat up her move action so she wouldn't be able to get down there this turn to use Frigid Blade on Iron Dragon 3--although I think teleporting from prone does allow you to reappear standing up. Could someone check that for me while I'm AFB?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately Medinah is prone, which will eat up her move action so she wouldn't be able to get down there this turn to use Frigid Blade on Iron Dragon 3--although I think teleporting from prone does allow you to reappear standing up. Could someone check that for me while I'm AFB?

Not as far as I can tell. If you teleport prone, you arrive prone, although with high enough acrobatics you could teleport into the air (10') and take an acrobatics check to not take damage. If you beat DC20, you can turn the fall into an acrobatics maneuver and with the Essential rules, end the fall with no damage and standing up.

Shadow Elf did a similar thing with the ghost we fought in the first ship: it teleported into the air, and "fell" prone but since she floated, the prone condition disappeared.

By the way, I thought your immobilisation trick was a ranged attack that you could perform in melee. Obviously, I'd rather you didn't loose the turn standing up if it can be avoided.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-12, 06:29 PM
Well yeah there is that, but to be able to do that I have to first use Vestige of Leraje to gain access to that vestige augment, then use Eyes of the Vestige, which does indeed immobilize the target. The other option is Frigid Blade, which is -6 speed if it starts its turn adjacent to me. Either way we're looking at an Action Point turn for me to immobilize anything this round, since it's pretty unlikely Medinah will be able to pass that Acrobatics check.

Wait, she has those Equilibrium Boots now so she wouldn't necessarily be prone! Can a free action be used before your turn in the first round of combat? I'm pretty sure immediate actions can't be, but not sure about free actions.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 06:32 PM
Wait, she has those Equilibrium Boots now so she wouldn't necessarily be prone! Can a free action be used before your turn in the first round of combat? I'm pretty sure immediate actions can't be, but not sure about free actions.

I believe no; no-actions yes, free actions no. But I'd check a power that happens on initiative roll, to see what kind of action it has. Whatever it is, that's the one you want.

GW

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-12, 07:05 PM
You know, I've been reviewing the half efreet and half marie radials, and I am trying to decide what in the Hells I was on when I made them. I think I will change them both to be more reasonable; as written, they are both Dwarven resilience (commonly thought of as the best racial power) on steroids.

And yes, NP, that is a miss. Expect the other thing's turn this evening, as well as fixes for those borked racials.

EDIT: Medinah can use her boots. Free action is totally legal in these circumstances. In a surprise round, I think not, but this was just a case of them winning inish.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 07:09 PM
You know, I've been reviewing the half efreet and half marie radials

Now I'm picturing half-efreet wheels.

GW

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 07:51 PM
I kinda agree Shadow, you should change that power.

Maybe you should not have him spend a surge, and simply gain 5 (10 paragon or 15 Epic) Temp HP on activation, and gain the aura for allies until bloodied.

It turn into a little buff (instead of healing) and group protection limited by bloodied status, which I think was the spirit of what you first wanted.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-12, 07:54 PM
EDIT: Medinah can use her boots. Free action is totally legal in these circumstances. In a surprise round, I think not, but this was just a case of them winning inish.

Cool, thanks. And thank you, Vertasi. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-12, 08:27 PM
My stupid smart phone and its autocorrect made all those typos. In general, if some words in my posts seem weird, assume they were typed on a tiny keyboard with a tiny screen and moderated by a beyond-useless spellcheck system :smalltongue:.

How does this sound, for the two powers?

Action: Minor Action
Requirement: You must not be bloodied.
Effect: Spend a healing surge, but regain no hitpoints. Instead, gain temporary hitpoints equal to your healing surge value. While you still have temporary hit points OR until you gain new temporary hitpoints, you gain an aura out to 1 square. Each enemy in the aura takes 3/6/9 fire damage at the end of each of your turns (Efreet). Each ally in the aura gains 3/6/9 temporary HP at the end of each of your turns (Marid).

Does that sound more reasonable?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 08:35 PM
My stupid smart phone and its autocorrect made all those typos. In general, if some words in my posts seem weird, assume they were typed on a tiny keyboard with a tiny screen and moderated by a beyond-useless spellcheck system :smalltongue:.

How does this sound, for the two powers?

Action: Minor Action
Requirement: You must not be bloodied.
Effect: Spend a healing surge, but regain no hitpoints. Instead, gain temporary hitpoints equal to your healing surge value. While you still have temporary hit points OR until you gain new temporary hitpoints, you gain an aura out to 1 square. Each enemy in the aura takes 3/6/9 fire damage at the end of each of your turns (Efreet). Each ally in the aura gains 3/6/9 temporary HP at the end of each of your turns (Marid).

Does that sound more reasonable?

It is more reasonable, but I can't imagine a scenario in which, actions allowing, you wouldn't spend this power in the very first turn of every combat. The old version restricted you to the narrow band between bloodied and bloodied + HS, since you regained HP. Here, being THP, you can pretty much start combat with an extra HS worth of life.

Why not change it to usable only while bloodied? Is it due to fluff?

Yours,

Grey Wolf

PS: I'll freely admit I'm terrible at homebrewing, so feel free to ignore me if I'm ignoring something obvious to the rest of you guys.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-12, 09:42 PM
It is more reasonable, but I can't imagine a scenario in which, actions allowing, you wouldn't spend this power in the very first turn of every combat. The old version restricted you to the narrow band between bloodied and bloodied + HS, since you regained HP. Here, being THP, you can pretty much start combat with an extra HS worth of life.

Why not change it to usable only while bloodied? Is it due to fluff?

Yours,

Grey Wolf

PS: I'll freely admit I'm terrible at homebrewing, so feel free to ignore me if I'm ignoring something obvious to the rest of you guys.

Well, it still costs a surge. I do suppose you can guarantee that you will want that HP at some point in the encounter, but you also want to get some use out of the other features as well. Hmm... What if it affected all in the aura, was only usable while unbloodied, aura 1, costs no surge, restores no HP? That would likely be more reasonable.

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 09:55 PM
Actually, if your goal is to ensure it isnt a simple no brainer/use it at the beggining of the fight, you kinda need to have it restore some HP (making the character have to wait and plan for the right timing).

On the other hand, right you are, it does cost an Healing surge and you will end up dry if you simply use it everytime... that is if you are the kind of DM who plan multiple encounters and force players to manage their Surges...

I am still unsure of the right solution.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 10:03 PM
Well, it still costs a surge. I do suppose you can guarantee that you will want that HP at some point in the encounter, but you also want to get some use out of the other features as well. Hmm... What if it affected all in the aura, was only usable while unbloodied, aura 1, costs no surge, restores no HP? That would likely be more reasonable.

I think that goes too far and now feels a little too weak. Mind you, since I tend to play only humans, dwarves and shifters, I am not even well versed in racial powers, but of the three, the shifter its the closest one to what you want, and it gets a small regen and extra damage for the rest of the encounter once bloodied.

You want to accomplish something similar, except while not bloodied. The issue, of course, is that anything that happens while not bloodied is likely to get used immediately at the start of each combat. This was counterbalanced by the HP gain, which meant you'd wait until the gain wasn't wasted. Without HP on the table, that delaying impulse is gone.

The efreet effect is of course a minion killer, which IMO makes it better than the small THP (the poor man's resist), but they can be considered roughly equal - except I'd give the THP gain to the PC as well.

Tell me, do you want an effect that isn't automatically on at the start of every combat, or do you consider that an acceptable proposition? I can offer better suggestions once I know where you are on that topic. For example, an alternative is that for the cost of a HS you gain half your HSV in HP, half in THP, and start the 3/6/9 aura, which ends once you refresh or run out of THP.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-12, 10:30 PM
I think that goes too far and now feels a little too weak. Mind you, since I tend to play only humans, dwarves and shifters, I am not even well versed in racial powers, but ff the three, the shifter its the closest one to what you want, and it gets a small regen and extra damage for the rest of the encounter once bloodied.

You want to accomplish something similar, except while not bloodied. The issue, of course, is that anything that happens while not bloodied is likely to get used immediately at the start of each combat. This was counterbalanced by the HP gain, which meant you'd wait until the gain wasn't wasted. Without HP on the table, that delaying impulse is gone.

The efreet effect is of course a minion killer, which IMO makes it better than the small THP (the poor man's resist), but they can be considered roughly equal - except I'd give the THP gain to the PC as well.

Tell me, do you want an effect that isn't automatically on at the start of every combat, or do you consider that an acceptable proposition? I can offer better suggestions once I know where you are on that topic. For example, an alternative is that for the cost of a HS you gain half your HSV in HP, half in THP, and start the 3/6/9 aura, which ends once you refresh or run out of THP.

Yeah, I don't want it to be a no-brainer "opening spell", but I also don't want it to be a "auto-kill minions / poor-man's resist PLUS surge ALL FOR a minor action". I suppose the only reason I made the "while not bloodied" caveat was to make the user time the heal properly... I suppose, if I remove the heal and buff the other effects slightly, it could be a while-bloodied aura a la Shifter.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-12, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I don't want it to be a no-brainer "opening spell", but I also don't want it to be a "auto-kill minions / poor-man's resist PLUS surge ALL FOR a minor action". I suppose the only reason I made the "while not bloodied" caveat was to make the user time the heal properly... I suppose, if I remove the heal and buff the other effects slightly, it could be a while-bloodied aura a la Shifter.

OK, I'm switching to thinking only of tactical abilities.

Off the top of my head, I don't think you need to buff the efreet's effect much - if the aura is while bloodied, it is already comparable to the shifter's: no regen, but auto-damage (6!) to every enemy around him, every turn. The shifter gets a mere 2 extra damage, and has to hit - but does get regen. Since the shifter effect is until the end of combat, while this effect is presumably until knocked out or healed, I'd say they are about equal. As to the healing aura... that does feel a little underwhelming. So I'd have it affect the PC as well. Or possibly have it give a secondary buff, such as a bonus to ST against certain effects that are thematically appropriate (I don't know, illusions? poisons? domination? baneful shifting?)

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-12, 10:52 PM
The next monster turn will have to wait until tomorrow evening. I promise it'll be up sometime tomorrow, but I haven't got the time left tonight.

I'll keep thinking about this racial power issue while at work tomorrow.

Reverent-One
2012-07-12, 11:28 PM
You know, I've been reviewing the half efreet and half marie radials, and I am trying to decide what in the Hells I was on when I made them. I think I will change them both to be more reasonable; as written, they are both Dwarven resilience (commonly thought of as the best racial power) on steroids.

What? That's crazy talk sir, who would think such a thing?

Dekkah
2012-07-12, 11:36 PM
Here is a few ideas to help feed your reflexion (in the spirit of keeping it on not bloodied side. :

Maybe you could keep it as first written, but make it a daily... would make its use limited and more strategic.

Reduce its power then turn its activation as a standard action, but that would make it less useful during battle, and still quite good when you have preparation time. Could be a move action, but not sure it make sense to do so. Also, if you find a standard is a bit too much, add Special : Can be used as minor when you spend an AP (This restrict the easy use to once per two encounters and spending aan AP isnt always efficient at the start of combat).

Maybe add a sustain cost (not sure it would affect everyone evenly )

Instead of making the character loose a surge, have his take loose hp every round (cannot be reduced) at the end of his turn (same his level deals/give temp HP or something along those lines). While it still will be more efficient to use at the start of battle, I dont think I would use every battle as in the end it probably cost more than a simple surge to maintain and use group ressources to keep you able to use it long term (keep you not bloodied). I am not sure this would be balanced though.... I didnt not do the maths.

My ideas might be a little wild here, sorry :)

Dekkah
2012-07-13, 10:10 AM
How about make it like this (bolded changes) :

Healing Rain (encounter power)
•You can channel your life energy into elemental water, which you can use to protect yourself and bolster your allies
•Encounter * Aura - Healing
•Immediate Interrupt - Personal
•Trigger : You take damage
•Effect: Spend a healing surge. Recude the damage taken by up to your healing surge value. You gain an aura of healing rain out to two squares. At the start of each of your turns, each ally in the aura gains 3 temporary hit points. Increase to 6 temporary hit points at level 11, and to 9 temporary hit points at level 21. The aura lasts until you are bloodied.

Heart of Fire (encounter power)
•Your soul burns with an inner flame that burns as brightly as elemental fire.
•Encounter * Aura, Fire
•Immediate Interrupt - Personal
•Trigger : You take damage
•Effect: Spend a healing surge. Recude the damage taken by up to your healing surge value. You gain an aura of fire out to two squares. At the start of each of your turns, each enemy in the aura takes 3 fire damage. Increase this damage to 6 fire damage at level 11 and to 9 fire damage at level 21. The aura lasts until you are bloodied.

I am unsure if interrupt action are more valuable than minors (Maybe at lower level when you have less options...), but here are my thoughts on the changes i suggest here.
First, reducing some damage by a full Surge value may seem much, but it do use an healing surge,. Also, it wont really happen often that you really reduce it by that much (unless you wait to get hit by a powerful blow - which may never come or happen after you are bloodied...). Having it trigger on damage taken make it a bit less reliable (you have less control on when it happens) as you try to avoid receiving damage (usually) and it may not come up right away and you'll have to consider if it is worth it at that point.
I reduced the THP/damage value to be in par with usual feat/power scaling.

I also changed the timing of when it affect allies/enemies to start of turn. That way, it give less control to the player (his allies have to come to him on their turn to get the benefit) and the enemies have a chance to evade the damage aura (keeping the fire aura 2 give a choice to the adjacent enemies on their turn... stay for the damage or probably risk an OA getting away.... if still to strong, aura could be reduced to 1).

If you think the water aura is too strong, reduce it to 1... if too weak, maybe make it so it also affect the character (but that might be a bit too much as it help him keep the aura longer....)

How does this look?

Dekkah
2012-07-13, 01:56 PM
Just letting you guys know that I probably wont be able to reply from 15:30 (that is in 30 minutes), up to sunday morning.
If my turn comes up during that time, you can put me on delay right away to let the rest of my allies play, but i'd like a chance to play before the next round (well the monster turn).

I'll post ASAP sunday.

Good weekend all.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-14, 09:36 AM
Do we still want Medinah to try to immobilize the dragon that's on the ground, or does having the third one appear by Kihtsah change things?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-14, 10:17 AM
Do we still want Medinah to try to immobilize the dragon that's on the ground, or does having the third one appear by Kihtsah change things?

My desire to immobilise the south dragon was so we had at least one we could melee - if they all decide to fly, we're screwed. Obviously that one will now stay put until at least my turn, so that will work. You need not do any weird hijinks to immobilise any particular dragon.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-14, 03:30 PM
Well how do you like that, that's two crits in one day (the other one being in "The Five of the Realm"). :smallbiggrin:

30 + [roll0]

And I'll have Medinah shift to J14 and use her move action to curse Dragon1, since he's 3 squares away and the other two dragons are four.

Dekkah
2012-07-15, 10:11 AM
Broken rolls

Attack on ID1 : [roll0] VS Fortitude
Attack on ID3 : [roll1] VS Fortitude

Attack on ID3 : [roll2] VS Ac (Should be 25... I forgot the CA bonus)

So sad (two 2s)..... I guess that balance the two crits...

Reverent-One
2012-07-15, 01:59 PM
Am I correct in assuming Alvah hit and teleported me, and that all of the dragons are on the ground at the moment?

Dekkah
2012-07-15, 02:07 PM
I ccant be sure about having hit but I hope 34 does hit....

I also beleive ID2 is 3 square up ... there other should be on the ground.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-15, 02:15 PM
Scyl, you can only use Warlock's Curse once per round. Do you have a different move action you could perform?

Also, for this encounter, assume anything above a 30 hits, and anything below a 25 misses. These aren't necessarily the dragon's highest/lowest defense scores, but they are the nearest round multiples of five to their highest and lowest scores.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-15, 02:47 PM
Oh I thought that was only for dealing the damage. Well, I don't believe I was close enough to mark Dragon1, so I would have just moved next to it.

Reverent-One
2012-07-15, 03:26 PM
FYI, I took my turn (and rolled for crap), but the post is invisible.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-15, 07:13 PM
Did you count CA from Amirah and/or the +3 from Alvah, Reverent?

Chambers
2012-07-15, 10:09 PM
Shadow_Elf

Can you update the map please? I'm not entirely sure who has teleported where and so on.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-16, 05:14 PM
Shadow_Elf

Can you update the map please? I'm not entirely sure who has teleported where and so on.

Gladly. Have some things to deal with, but definitely will be up this evening.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-16, 07:28 PM
Here's the new map.

Map:
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s499/ShadowElf0/ForestBattleMap3.png

Still need to know what, if any, of the extranneous bonuses RO counted, btw. It might've been a hit, depending on what bonuses are already assumed in his attack.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-16, 07:34 PM
Still need to know what, if any, of the extranneous bonuses RO counted, btw. It might've been a hit, depending on what bonuses are already assumed in his attack.

According to his sheet, his base attack bonus is +18, so it looks like he did not include any of the bonuses.

GW

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-16, 07:44 PM
According to his sheet, his base attack bonus is +18, so it looks like he did not include any of the bonuses.

GW

Ah, right, I should have just done that :smalltongue:. So, with the +5 net conditional, that is a hit vs. AC.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-16, 07:48 PM
Ah, right, I should have just done that :smalltongue:.

I don't mind being a DM assistant. You already do plenty, like maps and run the game. Don't feel bad for delegating the stuff that can be done by the players to the players, if it helps the game run smoothly.

I can even lithp and develop a hump and thcarth, if you need me to, mathter.

:smallbiggrin:

GW

Chambers
2012-07-16, 11:21 PM
Whew. That took a while. Quick recap.

Elemental Bolt vs Dragon 1: 36 vs Reflex (45 lightning/thunder dmg)
Elemental Bolt vs Dragon 2: 29 vs Reflex (39 lightning/thunder dmg)

Static Charge vs Dragon 1: 39 vs Reflex (40 lightning/thunder dmg)
Static Charge vs Dragon 2: 34 vs Reflex (40 lightning/thunder dmg)
Static Charge vs Dragon 3: 29 vs Reflex (37 lightning/thunder dmg)

ninja_penguin
2012-07-17, 08:42 AM
I can even lithp and develop a hump and thcarth, if you need me to, mathter.

This reminds me of the fact that there's actually a dude in the maintenance team at work who is named Igor. It amuses me to no end.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-17, 09:00 AM
Is his name pronounced "Eeegore" or "Eyegore"?

:smallbiggrin:

Dekkah
2012-07-17, 09:04 AM
Nice round and rolls Chambers!.

Too bad that I missed with my own attack or you would had been able to prone all there dragons... sigh.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-17, 05:12 PM
That's a full set of hits from Jalil, but the dragons aren't going to take it sitting down. The dragons' Immediate Actions and the next enemy turn will be up tonight or tomorrow.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-17, 08:29 PM
Working on the enemy phase and map still, but I updated the first post with treasure, quest notes and whatnot. Grey Wolf, you can add 2460 Residuum to the group pot, and 9000 Residuum to Rahman's personal stock, when you've got the time.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-17, 08:34 PM
Working on the enemy phase and map still, but I updated the first post with treasure, quest notes and whatnot. Grey Wolf, you can add 2460 Residuum to the group pot, and 9000 Residuum to Rahman's personal stock, when you've got the time.

It ith done, Mathter.

Speaking of which, did Jalil ever declare what reagents, if any, she bought?

Grey Wolf

Chambers
2012-07-17, 09:05 PM
I'll have to double check. She bought whatever her rituals required and extra of the same kind, the extra going into the communal pot.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-17, 09:10 PM
I'll have to double check. She bought whatever her rituals required and extra of the same kind, the extra going into the communal pot.

Ummm... no. That can't be. The communal pot is a virtual construct. We each have our own stash, and it is presumed that we all chip in equally for rituals that benefit us all, but there is no need to contribute to the common pot - unless you are leaving, in which case, Shadow Elf allowing, for accounting's sake, I move the stash of the people leaving to the common pot.

Grey Wolf

Reverent-One
2012-07-17, 09:58 PM
Huh, not sure how I missed you asking about my to hit bonus, Shadow. Sorry to keep you waiting on that. Yeah, I totally missed those bonus's when rolling.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-19, 07:09 AM
Two quick notes:

Figment's banishment isn't like a summoning. I only pay a surge to bring her back, not when she leaves. Also, while fluff says she gets banished to the feywild, I'd rather change the fluff to Figment having dodged the attacks and tricked the enemy with illusions. That is because to bring her back is a minor action, which hardly can count as a summoning.

My understanding is that the -2 (save ends) would not carry over to any summonings, correct? (based on the fact that any temporal effects on my defences also don't get carried over)

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-19, 07:56 AM
Shadow : Did you take a decision on the Half-Genie powers?
Because if it still heal, I might activate it this turn... depends on what you decide.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-19, 09:01 AM
Still thinking, but I think I'll make it an aura 1 of 3/6/10 fire damage usable while bloodied for efreets, and a 3/6/10 THP aura 1 that works on the user for marids, also only usable while bloodied. These ought to be roughly in line with the other genie flavors.

My bad on Figment. Will fix that when I do the map update this evening.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-19, 09:08 AM
My bad on Figment. Will fix that when I do the map update this evening.

Please remember to put an altitude counter on the dragons that are flying. I'd suggest '1' means that there is 1 empty square under them (i.e. anyone standing on the ground has an altitude of 0).

GW

Chambers
2012-07-19, 09:15 AM
It looks like Jalil was attacked twice? Whichever dragon that attacks her takes 6 lightning/thunder damage, automatically. She also gets to use Static Charge against one of them. I'll roll it in a minute, on my phone now.

Also, looks like she escapes all damage from the breath weapon. It's halfed to 8.5 from being Insubstantial and het resistance takes care of the rest. Can you be knocked prone of you're Insubstantial?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-19, 09:26 AM
Can you be knocked prone of you're Insubstantial?

Yes. Not sure about RAW (although my gut feeling is that it is yes by RAW too), but in any case we've knocked prone insubstantial creatures in this adventure before.

Edit: Shadow Elf, you say that all that are not trained are knocked prone. I assume this is a skill check. Does it really need training? I checked recently for a RAW question, and very few skills are trained only (detect magic springs to mind).

Grey Wolf

Chambers
2012-07-19, 09:35 AM
::looks at Rules Compendium::

Huh, guess it doesn't prevent it.

6 Lightning/Thunder damage to any dragon that attacked Jalil.

Immediate Reaction
Static Charge vs the first dragon to attack her while within range (close burst 3)
Attack [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage [roll1] lightning and thunder damage
Damage [roll2] bonus damage

Her falling damage (7) is halved to 3 which is reduced by her 13 temp HP.

Status at end of Dragon's Turn:
HP: 101/101, Temp 10/13, Prone, Dazed

---

From the IC description "As her attack hits him, the dragon blocks part of it with his wing, absorbing some of the thunderous impact" does that mean the dragons had some resistance against Jalil's attacks? I ask because it's relevant for her Dagger implement. Also, she's got a +3 bonus on all Defenses vs Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, and Thunder, which would be relevant this fight. Not saying you forgot or anything, just a heads up.

Dekkah
2012-07-19, 10:30 AM
Shadow : Did you roll my athletic to reduce the falling damage for me or is the 3 what I take without reducing it?

Also, I guess you did not update our status becasue if I understand your post correctly, I take 17 + 17 + 3 = 37 daamges.
I was at 84.... - 37 = 47... so I am bloodied.

So I kinda need to know what does my racial power do as I might use it if it works while bloodied now.

From what I understand, it will give an Aura 1 that gives 6 THP. to Alvah and his allies.
Will it keep working when I am no longer bloodied or does it ends (or is supressed until bloodied again)?

ninja_penguin
2012-07-19, 11:06 AM
The maps unavailability makes me uncertain, but is the dragon that did the big breath attack weapon the one that was marked by Rahman? If so, I'd like to Rahman's Armor of Aegis Expansion as an interrupt to drop the damage by 13 to everybody. (trigger: A creature you have marked with Aegis of shielding targets you and at least one of your allies with an attack)

ninja_penguin
2012-07-19, 11:08 AM
Edit: Shadow Elf, you say that all that are not trained are knocked prone. I assume this is a skill check. Does it really need training? I checked recently for a RAW question, and very few skills are trained only (detect magic springs to mind).

I think this was from falling damage, and the 'avoid falling damage and land on your feet' part of acrobatics is trained only to the best of my knowledge.

Dekkah
2012-07-19, 11:17 AM
Yeah I know. I think Shadow might already have considered it and rolled the reduce damage for me (I am trained in acrobatics), but I am unsure if he did it or not.

Reverent-One
2012-07-19, 07:59 PM
Also, Shadow, did you include the bonus damage I gave Rahman in his OA damage?

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-19, 09:30 PM
::looks at Rules Compendium::

Huh, guess it doesn't prevent it.

6 Lightning/Thunder damage to any dragon that attacked Jalil.

Immediate Reaction
Static Charge vs the first dragon to attack her while within range (close burst 3)
Attack [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage [roll1] lightning and thunder damage
Damage [roll2] bonus damage

Her falling damage (7) is halved to 3 which is reduced by her 13 temp HP.

Status at end of Dragon's Turn:
HP: 101/101, Temp 10/13, Prone, Dazed

---

From the IC description "As her attack hits him, the dragon blocks part of it with his wing, absorbing some of the thunderous impact" does that mean the dragons had some resistance against Jalil's attacks? I ask because it's relevant for her Dagger implement. Also, she's got a +3 bonus on all Defenses vs Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, and Thunder, which would be relevant this fight. Not saying you forgot or anything, just a heads up.

The dragon used a one-turn resist spell to reduce the damage from that attack by 5. It is not an ongoing resistance to Thunder and Lightning. Even with the +3 to defenses and Protective Hex it is still a hit, but I did forget it. Will try to keep that in mind in future.

Shadow : Did you roll my athletic to reduce the falling damage for me or is the 3 what I take without reducing it?

Also, I guess you did not update our status becasue if I understand your post correctly, I take 17 + 17 + 3 = 37 daamges.
I was at 84.... - 37 = 47... so I am bloodied.

So I kinda need to know what does my racial power do as I might use it if it works while bloodied now.

From what I understand, it will give an Aura 1 that gives 6 THP. to Alvah and his allies.
Will it keep working when I am no longer bloodied or does it ends (or is supressed until bloodied again)?

I already rolled for him Alvah has no damage from the fall and no prone. I said as much in the IC post I think.

The maps unavailability makes me uncertain, but is the dragon that did the big breath attack weapon the one that was marked by Rahman? If so, I'd like to Rahman's Armor of Aegis Expansion as an interrupt to drop the damage by 13 to everybody. (trigger: A creature you have marked with Aegis of shielding targets you and at least one of your allies with an attack)

Yes, it was that dragon. I will apply the damage reduction in the HP update I will do alongside the map update.

Also, Shadow, did you include the bonus damage I gave Rahman in his OA damage?

I did not. Adding that to my spreadsheet.

Only those trained in Acrobatics can perform a tumble check to land safely. Only Alvah is trained in Acrobatics, so only he can make such checks; unfortunately for the rest of y'all, this means that their breath weapon will often involve an extra 1d10 damage + prone.

IC Update should be done soon, assuming Photobucket cooperates.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-19, 10:13 PM
Alright, IC post should be fixed, complete with map. As always, ask me if you've got any questions.

EDIT: Ninja, what Alchemical Item has Rahman prepared for this encounter with his free short rest crafting?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-19, 10:16 PM
Alright, IC post should be fixed, complete with map. As always, ask me if you've got any questions.

EDIT: Ninja, what Alchemical Item has Rahman prepared for this encounter with his free short rest crafting?

Do horses count as enough of an enemy to the dragons to be used for flanking?

GW

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-19, 10:51 PM
Yes, but they also count as your enemy; the dragons can flank with them, too.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-19, 10:54 PM
Yes, but they also count as your enemy; the dragons can flank with them, too.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I realised that LoS would defeat my original idea, so I won't end up using a horse to flank. That said, it is something to keep in mind.

Post almost ready - just checking for mistakes.

GW

Dekkah
2012-07-20, 11:29 AM
Just letting you all know I wont be able to reply at all this week end (from now to monday morning (well maybe sunday... but I doubt it).

So if my turns comes, Shadow can either take it with these instruction or wait for me (if he dicde to wait, assume delay and other after me can play their turn of the the next monster turn)

Here is what I plan to do (may change if someone is in big trouble after ID1 action though... )

1 : Remember that if IG1 daze me, I can save at the start of my turn (superior willl)

2 - Remember that if an ally within 5 of me bloody or drop to 0 an enemy, I will gratn him 11 THP (if he doesnt have that much already). CAn happen once per turn only.

3 - I should be at 63/102 (not 73)... as I took 18 in first post, and 21 total in last.

4 - I will heal the most injured character (Majestic Word : Spend a surge + 2D6 +6 and he also gain some TEMP HP from Improved Majestic word feat - not sure how many.. stupid uncomplete infomration on printed character sheet :smallfurious: ) and teleport him 1 either :adjacent to an enemy (or in charging position) if melee he is a mele type or away if range type. Note that I try to spread the group doing this (because of the breaths). (that also trigger my own teleport 2 square, which I'd use to place myself for my attack (Probably in J17 so my burst 3 include IG2 and IG 3). You can adjust if IG1 move in range so I can hit the 3.

5 - I'll use rolling echo : Close burst 3 ( 2 + 1 for feat), +18 VS Fort (Enemies), 2D6+12 Thunder damage and push 1 (Forfeit it unless it can bring an enemy in melee reach -> I'd push IG2 one square to G16/F17 and down 1 so he end up at height 1, but I wont push IG3).

6 - Activate Healing rain to gain 6 THP (and possibly give some to adjacent allies if any beside me) et the end of my turn..

Looking at these instructions, maybe you'll simply wait for my return lol... your call.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-22, 02:49 AM
I will put Rahman on delay tomorrow evening and run ID1's turn then. I know NP's posts are infrequent on weekends, but I want to keep the game moving.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-22, 06:55 PM
I will put Rahman on delay tomorrow evening and run ID1's turn then. I know NP's posts are infrequent on weekends, but I want to keep the game moving.

Is the dragon prone?

Thanks,

GW

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-22, 11:04 PM
Yes, Amirah's attack via the Wolf was successful.

Sorry, update is going to be late. Was running a PnP session today, and got home too enervated to roll more dice and update the map. At least this gives NP a weekday day to reply.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-23, 01:08 PM
Yes, Amirah's attack via the Wolf was successful.

Good to hear. This CA won't last as long as the one last turn, but at least Rahman can make use of it.

We'll see how well this controls the dragon, though. Shadow Elf's monsters tend to have a "can't be prone" clause in-built. If I had known it was such a common thing, I'd have picked a different summon.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-23, 03:18 PM
Good to hear. This CA won't last as long as the one last turn, but at least Rahman can make use of it.

We'll see how well this controls the dragon, though. Shadow Elf's monsters tend to have a "can't be prone" clause in-built. If I had known it was such a common thing, I'd have picked a different summon.

Grey Wolf

What, so far, has been immune to proning? Apart from the sharks, I don't think that has been a big deal.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-23, 03:33 PM
What, so far, has been immune to proning? Apart from the sharks, I don't think that has been a big deal.

The ghost was immune to it (in that it could teleport, then float down to standing position). Then the sharks, of course. And I assumed that Vertasi's switches would also render her immune, since she could switch with someone standing up. So that's like 3/4 fights, so far.

Also, please note that I'm not really complaining. I understand and accept that a first level daily can't be expected to operate at 100% in level 15 battles. It is just that there seems to be many tricks to get around the "poor man's immobilise".

That said, it sounds like these dragons do get to waste their move action getting up. That'll be nice.

Grey Wolf

ninja_penguin
2012-07-23, 07:13 PM
Also, for Rahman's alchemical item, it would've been Alchemist's spark or Acidic fire. Probably acidic fire.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-23, 07:14 PM
Ummmm... Ninja_Penguin, can I ask you to please not push the dragon? Right now it is prone and flanked by me and my summon; while he may get away, there is a chance he won't. I mean, unless there is a good reason to move him.

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

ninja_penguin
2012-07-23, 08:05 PM
Oh, duh. Sorry about that. Yeah, cancel that push then. I'd been looking at the map and not your post when i was thinking about what to do.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-23, 08:18 PM
Question: if a creature is immobilized while flying and doesn't have Hover as one of its abilities, does it fall at the start of its next turn?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-23, 08:43 PM
Oh, duh. Sorry about that. Yeah, cancel that push then. I'd been looking at the map and not your post when i was thinking about what to do.

Thanks.

Question: if a creature is immobilized while flying and doesn't have Hover as one of its abilities, does it fall at the start of its next turn?

I doubt there's RAW to answer this, but I'd say that would drop them immediately, not at the start of its turn. That said, how would a creature without hover end its turn in the air so the scenario could take place? Don't creatures that can fly but not hover fall at the end of their turns?

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-23, 09:18 PM
Yeah I guess that wouldn't matter then. I'm probably still thinking in old 3.5e terms, where many flying creatures had to sustain a minimum forward distance each round to maintain flight.

Chambers
2012-07-23, 09:38 PM
Jalil has a number of powers and abilities that let her fly but she doesn't have hover, so I'd assume that if she flew up and didn't land then she'd fall when the power ended.

In regards to a creature with a natural fly speed that is Immobilized I don't think they'd fall prone. Immobilization isn't paralyzing. Immbolized creatures can still "stand up when it's prone, pull an item from a backpack, or attack normally." The rules for Immobilization don't mention anything about flying creatures falling prone, so by RAW they wouldn't.

Edit: Seem like Hover is only used for determining whether flying creatures that are Stunned fall immediately. If they have Hover, they stay in the air.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-23, 11:21 PM
Creatures without hover must fly three squares or more on their turn. Failure to do so makes them fall prone. Therefore, in that scenario, they'd fall prone at the end of their next turn.

Making this post from my phone, as my home wifi has gone down this evening. It infuriates me that I keep delaying the turn, but I can't very well update from my phone, so I will not be able to run the next dragon's turn until I fix the Internet, hopefully tomorrow.

Apologies for the delay, but this one is out of my hands.

Chambers
2012-07-23, 11:45 PM
Is that one of your house rules? If so, that's cool, but here's what's in the Compendium:

Remaining in the Air: A flying creature does not need to take any particular action to remain aloft; the creature is assumed to be flying as it fights, moves, and takes other actions. However, a flying creature falls the instant it is stunned, unless it can hover (see "Flight Traits").

Flight Traits
Many flying creatures have traits related to flight, which are noted in a creature’s stat block.
Altitude Limit: If a creature has a specified altitude limit, the creature falls at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than that limit. For example, a creature that has an altitude limit of 2 falls at the end of its turn if it is flying higher than 2 squares.
Hover: A creature that can hover, such as a beholder, can remain in the air even when it is stunned.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-24, 06:57 AM
Really? I always thought that the moving thing was RAW. Hover seems kind of silly now, though I suppose it also allows midair shifts.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-24, 07:06 AM
here's what's in the Compendium:

There is also a bit about flying in the DM manual, IIRC, which might or might not expand on that. I remember reading somewhere that creatures without hover cannot remain aloft at the end of their turns, which is where hover comes in.

GW

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-24, 10:57 PM
IC post is up. It is now Medinah's turn. Internet is back to normal.

Dekkah
2012-07-24, 11:31 PM
Since Rahman bloodied an enemy I give him 11 THp (well only 6 since he have 5... but better then nothing)

I completly missed the other dragon being bloodied... sad

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-24, 11:49 PM
Prone and dazed? Sigh. I guess this turn's a wash.

Shadow_Elf
2012-07-25, 06:31 AM
Since Rahman bloodied an enemy I give him 11 THp (well only 6 since he have 5... but better then nothing)

I completly missed the other dragon being bloodied... sad

I gave Rahman the THP for the first one, too. That's why he already has some :smallwink:.

Dekkah
2012-07-25, 07:00 AM
Ok, cool Shadow.

I dont know if Medinah have some ranged power that pull/slide... but bringin ID1 or ID3 one square closer to the middle would allow me to hit them all with a close burst 3 :smallwink:

At worst, I think I'll simply attack 2 and 3

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-25, 07:02 AM
it crits Figment, who cannot catch a break this encounter

Not a problem. She's the only one with unlimited healing for a minor action (and a surge, but who ever runs out of surges?). Wasting your crits on her is what she's there for - and any narration of her "running into the woods" is in fact just her illusions working her charm.

The theme summons aren't really all that good, except as ablative shields, and I'm glad Figment is in fact serving her purpose in this fight.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-25, 07:02 AM
Oh, and Medinah. If you need to be adjacent to an enemy, you could delay, I'd can teleport you beside ID1 on my turn. You'd still be prone, but in melee range.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-25, 07:05 AM
Ok, cool Shadow.

I dont know if Medinah have some ranged power that pull/slide... but bringin ID1 or ID3 one square closer to the middle would allow me to hit them all with a close burst 3 :smallwink:

At worst, I think I'll simply attack 2 and 3

As a general rule, until I level up to 16, moving enemies away from my summons is a Bad Idea(tm). Please don't do it, if it can be avoided: the summon only gets free attacks if they are next to an enemy at the end of my turn. One square isn't too bad, since I can move them back, but does require me to hit.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-25, 07:06 AM
(and a surge, but who ever runs out of surges?).
Well you clearly havent been in one of my games lol :smalltongue:
Most of the extended rest happen because one or a few of the character run out of surges.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-25, 07:12 AM
Well you clearly havent been in one of my games lol :smalltongue:
Most of the extended rest happen because one or a few of the character run out of surges.

Interesting. Must have plenty of leaders. I find that we run out of powers that use surges before we run out of surges, in every game I've played. Closest thing was a PHB-only Paladin that used surges to both attack and lay hands, and even then I never got more than 2 surges away from 0.

I'm interested in how the dynamic will change with Figment and the summons, though. And the 2-second-winds-as-minors that druids get at level 21 also would mean going through them quicker (even more if I ever lay my hands on a walking wounded cloak). But as it stands, we don't run out because we can't access them. One of the reasons for making a summon druid was a better resource use of surges, because they really feel like the one thing that I always have too much of.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-25, 08:16 AM
Since she's prone it'd be best for Medinah to be teleported out of melee range actually. She still has a few ranged attacks she can use, I was thinking Acrid Decay on the two she's cursed, so there's that at least, but it doesn't target a very good defense (Fort) and she gets -2 to attacks for being prone. Still seems like the best option if we want her to attack this round though.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-25, 08:23 AM
Since she's prone it'd be best for Medinah to be teleported out of melee range actually. She still has a few ranged attacks she can use, I was thinking Acrid Decay on the two she's cursed, so there's that at least, but it doesn't target a very good defense (Fort) and she gets -2 to attacks for being prone. Still seems like the best option if we want her to attack this round though.

Away from books, so can't check, but is the -2 to attack RAW? I recall prone means you grant CA to melee and get +2 to defences from ranged, but I don't remember any negatives to ranged attack. I'd expect a guy laying on the ground shooting (with, say, a crossbow) at targets would have better aim, not worse.

In any case, if acid decay is an encounter power, I'd say go for it, if the choice is between that and not doing anything at all this turn.

Grey Wolf

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-25, 08:30 AM
Yeah the -2 to attacks is RAW. I think it makes sense for melee attacks to get a penalty since you can't put the full effort into your swing, but I agree with you that ranged--or at least anything that's not a bow attack (but not a crossbow)--shouldn't necessarily be penalized.

But yeah, Acrid Decay is an encounter power. I won't be able to take my turn until later today though, but that's most likely what I'll use.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-25, 08:38 AM
But yeah, Acrid Decay is an encounter power. I won't be able to take my turn until later today though, but that's most likely what I'll use.

I feel your pain. My own turn was an undignified crawl to get close enough to a target - I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.

GW

Dekkah
2012-07-25, 09:02 AM
Interesting. Must have plenty of leaders. I find that we run out of powers that use surges before we run out of surges, in every game I've played. Closest thing was a PHB-only Paladin that used surges to both attack and lay hands, and even then I never got more than 2 surges away from 0.

I'm interested in how the dynamic will change with Figment and the summons, though. And the 2-second-winds-as-minors that druids get at level 21 also would mean going through them quicker (even more if I ever lay my hands on a walking wounded cloak). But as it stands, we don't run out because we can't access them. One of the reasons for making a summon druid was a better resource use of surges, because they really feel like the one thing that I always have too much of.

Grey Wolf

Well it is more they have plenty of encounters.
I am not saying every day they are drained of their surges, but their combat day usually have more than one encounter.
I've found a long time ago that if you want to challenge the players, you need to plan at least 3-5 encounters before their rest to force them to manage their resources. Otherwise, well they simply go nova (use all their dailies and stuff and the combat arent really challenging).
Note that I am not saying that I never do 1 or 2 combat days (and there is a lot of 0 combat days too), but in my experience, if you dont pressure the players, they start using it all in the first two encounter and simply do the 5 minute workday thing.
Also, they rarely hit 0 surge (so you are kinda right- but it still happens), but it happens and they learned to manage the surge well knowing I can challenge them at any time with a surprise encounter.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-25, 09:20 AM
Well it is more they have plenty of encounters.
I am not saying every day they are drained of their surges, but their combat day usually have more than one encounter.
I've found a long time ago that if you want to challenge the players, you need to plan at least 3-5 encounters before their rest to force them to manage their resources. Otherwise, well they simply go nova (use all their dailies and stuff and the combat arent really challenging).
Note that I am not saying that I never do 1 or 2 combat days (and there is a lot of 0 combat days too), but in my experience, if you dont pressure the players, they start using it all in the first two encounter and simply do the 5 minute workday thing.
Also, they rarely hit 0 surge (so you are kinda right- but it still happens), but it happens and they learned to manage the surge well knowing I can challenge them at any time with a surprise encounter.

Fair enough. I suspect that the other major difference between our experiences is the level of the parties. This game is the highest level I've played, with 3 dailies per head. I normally play low-level games (1-3) where you only have 1 daily, so most of your concerns above don't apply. Dailies are saved for bosses and/or hard spots.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2012-07-25, 10:59 AM
Actually no, I am a low level player/DM as well.
It might well simply come from the crew of players I had when I switched to 4.0 (and my own personnal DM/player style too).
At first, the players were very agressive on any encounters and wanted to rest a lot (when it isnt really logical because their dailies had been used).
I kinda taught them (sometimes the hard way) to manage it.
This game is actually the first one I play at Paragon.

I only have one other game that reached level 15 (as DM), and they played all the way form 1 to 15.

But you are not the first one to tell me that healing surge isnt the problem usually. I guess I have a different intake on this as I usually use HS to evaluate what my players can and cannot do. And I usually played witha friend like that... I guess the way the DM plan his things also can affect this percpetion.

Dacia Brabant
2012-07-25, 02:15 PM
Where it gets really nasty is when the monsters deal damage in healing surges. Chambers seems to be a fan of those. :smalltongue: