PDA

View Full Version : Little help with my Barb

Kyuubil
2012-05-31, 03:39 PM
So, this thread is probably going to invite flames, but here goes.

My GM is obsessed with drizzt, like, "started rereading the drizzt series and spontaniously ended our last campaign mid-arc because HE WANTED TO DO AN UNDERDARK CAMPAIGN

Which is fine, but I severely dislike drow, their entire society just.. bothers me, and any talk of rebellion against the drow is met with a stern NO (I watched him get in a four hour argument with another player because said player shared my sentiment and wanted to make his character to kill lolth)

So, I asked to play an adventurer wondering into the underdark looking for drow contracts, was told no, my options are Drow, or Slave race, but if i'm a slave race i'll likely be executed at the first given opportunity.

So.. I'm taking that as challenge accepted; playing a minotuar barbarian (probably going to ask to use the half-orc race instead of minotaurs because ugh +6 LA)

My object is to no particularly be broken, but be a general force of nature, can't be executed because -they can't hold me down-, bust in, wreck things.
------------ explanation end --------------

Game is rolled stats, reroll 1's, drop lowest (though going to see if the GM will let me take 18 on stir to willingly drop my int to 6 or 8, I literally want to be a big, dumb, nigh-unstoppable brute that speaks in nothing but roars and solves problems like "traps" by beating them with a sword)

So far, I have +1 LA (Mineral warrior great bonuses, negligable LA, and it's from the underdark)

That leaves me with 9 levels of barb to build; preferably FB too. -- Cuirrently building around being a charge monster, Lion totem for pounce, leap attack, greatsword... and that's all I got.

So any and all help would be helpful.

INoKnowNames
2012-05-31, 03:57 PM
As much as this may or may not be an option, depending on where you play and who is playing, but you seem to have a problem with your DM, and building a character specifically to cause trouble might not be a good idea. You guys have sat down rationally, and tried to talk about this? If anything, it might be time to find another DM or group to play in, if a reasonable discussion doesn't work. Though, I understand it might not be so easy to do so.

If all you want to do is Charge, remember that there are ways for enemies to deal with Charging, either dirrectly or indirrectly. Might want to consider other things you want to do, if only for when your favorite tactics might not be appropriate.

A valorous weapon enhancement increases your charging damage by another x2 multiplier, if you so insist. Though I think a slightly more diplomatic tactic might be better for your problem.

kardar233
2012-05-31, 04:10 PM
You might consider getting 2 or 6 levels of Fighter, using the Dungeoncrasher ACF. Basically, it allows you to smash people into walls, dealing damage both to the person and the wall. Also consider a level of Warblade at 5th level or greater to get Mountain Hammer, which will allow you to smash your way out of anything given time.

~EDIT~ Also see if your DM will approve the Half-Minotaur template from Dragon #313. Makes you Large size and gives great stat mods.

VGLordR2
2012-05-31, 04:10 PM
DCS has a Krynn Minotaur with no LA or RHD. It has +4 to strength, -2 to all mental abilities, a gore attack, some skill bonuses, natural armor, and access to the Scent feat. I would recommend this over a refluffed Half-Orc.

You should also take a look at Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre from Dragon Magazine. Applying both will net a massive Strength bonus and large size for 1 LA.

Kyuubil
2012-05-31, 04:36 PM
As much as this may or may not be an option, depending on where you play and who is playing, but you seem to have a problem with your DM, and building a character specifically to cause trouble might not be a good idea. You guys have sat down rationally, and tried to talk about this? If anything, it might be time to find another DM or group to play in, if a reasonable discussion doesn't work. Though, I understand it might not be so easy to do so.

I did, when he pitched the campaign, I asked if it would be ok for me to play a rogue, or.. ToB fighter, or bard or something, mercenary/wanderer type gone into the underdark to look for drow contracts, i'd deal with the OTHER RACES ARE INFERIOR.

He straight up refused to allow it, I play a drow, or I play a slave race and risk being executed any moment I piss off another drow.

So i'm playing a slave race, i'm just meeting his threat of execution with a nod and a Challenge Accepted. If he is going to play the SLAVE RACE EXECUTION card, i'll just play something that the other players will be kind of scared to try and execute.

That said i'm not trying to cause trouble, the party we have is a sorcerer, a deep dwarf artificer (.. yea, he allowed it because deep dwarfs make clay fire for drizzt so it's ok for them to be in as long as he's making clay fire), a "Drow Weapons Master" (.. custom class that will likely be broken because the dm tends to overbalance.), a random Drider fighter and a generic cleric to Lolth,

We need someone who is willing to kick doors down and shout at things, so the barb is fine for that (Arguably why i'm going barbarian, and not warblade, RP-wise I like barb better for this.) -- i'm just.. slightly less weary of my powergaming this time around, not scared to break it -- normally I stop myself from going TOO munchkin, this time.. don't really want to.

Averis Vol
2012-05-31, 05:38 PM
if your going to be a minotaur, why not grab yourself a quorti resin minotaur great hammer, 3d6 damage with a 19-20/x4 crit. take up whirling frenzy and maybe improved sunder in case the weapon master gets uppity, he will run away crying while he hugs the broken powder that used to be his blades. :smallbiggrin:

also consider taking the mage slayer line, if your going to be fighting drow for the most part...well they're almost all casters it's worth it.

ohh and if you don't want to be a drow or a slave races ask if you can play a svirfneblin, because drizzt's best friend is one and he saved the whole city of Blingdenstone, so they're naturally his friends.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-31, 06:14 PM
Want to be a Minotaur, but hate the RHD? Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Strongheart Halfling. That nets you +2 LA, Large size, +18str, +8 Con, darkvision, 40ft base land, +6 Natural Armor, Gore attack (1d8 +str), and a bonus feat (as Human). Both templates are in the same Dragon article.

I also recommend a Warblade dip. Iron Heart Surge will take off basically anything you don't want, and White Raven Tactics for when you feel jealous of casters abusing the action economy. Sudden Leap (swift action Jump) with that one jumping stance, ranks in Jump, and a high Str can get you some pretty sweet free movement for when someone's out of Charge range.

Keld Denar
2012-05-31, 06:22 PM
if your going to be a minotaur, why not grab yourself a quorti resin minotaur great hammer, 3d6 damage with a 19-20/x4 crit.

Don't Kaorti resin weapons have to be slashing?

Averis Vol
2012-05-31, 06:44 PM
do they? huh. your right, damn.

kaorti resin jovar then!

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-31, 09:59 PM
If you're a slave race... why would you be executed on sight? If you're all renegades, your race doesn't matter. If you're loyal, you're basically an elite slave soldier/gladiator.

Alright, don't go half-orc. Never go half-orc. If you can't get half-minotaur or Krynn minotaur approved, go full orc. Or half-ogre.

Shore up your defenses. Look into Whirling Frenzy (UA/SRD) or Ferocity (Cityscape/Cityscape Excerpt OR Cityscape Web Enhancement, not sure which) to boost your weak reflex. Then, Steadfast Determination (and maybe Indomitable Will, both from PHBII) for will saves.

holywhippet
2012-05-31, 11:29 PM
One glaring problem I see in your approach is that you are taking a race and class with poor will saves and trying to make them survive amongst a hostile race filled with magic users. Challenging the DM like this really isn't a great idea.

That being said, your DM forcing a drow campaign on you isn't very fair.

Vizzerdrix
2012-05-31, 11:46 PM
Grey dwarf half Minotaur can get rather scary in a grapple. :smallsmile:

kardar233
2012-06-01, 02:28 AM
One glaring problem I see in your approach is that you are taking a race and class with poor will saves and trying to make them survive amongst a hostile race filled with magic users. Challenging the DM like this really isn't a great idea.

That being said, your DM forcing a drow campaign on you isn't very fair.

But you can take Steadfast Determination to use your fairly ridiculous CON for Will saves.

Acanous
2012-06-01, 02:59 AM
I'm just going to leave this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525) here.

demigodus
2012-06-01, 03:56 AM
I did, when he pitched the campaign, I asked if it would be ok for me to play a rogue, or.. ToB fighter, or bard or something, mercenary/wanderer type gone into the underdark to look for drow contracts, i'd deal with the OTHER RACES ARE INFERIOR.

With their +2 LA, I would argue that Drows are inferior to a very large number of races.

So i'm playing a slave race, i'm just meeting his threat of execution with a nod and a Challenge Accepted. If he is going to play the SLAVE RACE EXECUTION card, i'll just play something that the other players will be kind of scared to try and execute.

You could go with a Vecna blooded changeling. And max your disguise. Just so you can go "I'm a slave race, but I'm joining the nobility"

We need someone who is willing to kick doors down and shout at things, so the barb is fine for that (Arguably why i'm going barbarian, and not warblade, RP-wise I like barb better for this.) -- i'm just.. slightly less weary of my powergaming this time around, not scared to break it -- normally I stop myself from going TOO munchkin, this time.. don't really want to.

Might still be good to get some levels of warblade, to pick up the level 3 stance that gives you a +10 to jump, and you are always considered to have a running jump. It is a lot harder to stop your pouncing leap attack if you can jump 40ft on a nat 1, over the heads of enemy minions, to the actual enemy you want to charge.

Also, that would let you get the maneuver where you use concentration for will saves. Because you are going to need that.