PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Making an Osteomancer

Uncle Pine
2012-05-31, 04:40 PM
Hi giants!

I'd like to create an Osteomancer and use it as a NPC in the future. It'd probably be some sort of isolated guy that lives in a cave with a few guardians that spends his time crafting beautiful statues using bones. Other living creatures' bones :smallbiggrin:
I think that an Osteomancer could be a decent gish, but I fail to figure out how to make it work. Maybe a Warlock/Osteomancer would be cool, but I can't remember if there are at least 3 invocations that emulate transmutation spells...

Any suggestion?

EDIT: This would probably be a lvl 11-12 NPC.

Waker
2012-05-31, 05:15 PM
While the Warlock may make an interesting combination with the Osteomancer, it cannot meet the requirement of 3 Transmutation spells without dipping.
Since the Osteomancer requires a +4 BAB and most of it's class abilities are based off of Charisma there are a few classes that would best be suited for it.
Bard- Can meet all the requirements for the class by level 6. You'd need to spend extra skill points on Heal as it's a cross-class skill, but nothing it can't handle.
Favored Soul- Meeting the skill requirements is the hardest part.
Cleric- Though not as Charisma focused as some classes, they do still benefit from having high charisma for turning/rebuking. All the requirements can also be met by 6th level, but it's easier if Animal, Knowledge or Plant domains to avoid spending cross-class.
Battle Sorcerer- Once more, skill requirements are you bane.
Shugenja- Can meet all the requirements by level 8.

Anyways, since Bard has the easiest time of meeting the requirements and loses the least the build will go with that. Because you describe him as a creepy hermit, I'd go with the Bardic Sage from UA.
Human Bard Sage 6/Osteomancer 6

I was about to make up a proposed feat list, but I don't know what capacity you wanted the NPC to serve in, is he something to oppose the party in direct combat, aid them, or just serve as background?

Talionis
2012-05-31, 10:35 PM
Away from the books right now, but Spellthief a possibility? They tend to be melee-ish. Duskblade also came to mind with a very melee-centric possibilities.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-01, 10:24 AM
Anyways, since Bard has the easiest time of meeting the requirements and loses the least the build will go with that. Because you describe him as a creepy hermit, I'd go with the Bardic Sage from UA.
Human Bard Sage 6/Osteomancer 6

I was about to make up a proposed feat list, but I don't know what capacity you wanted the NPC to serve in, is he something to oppose the party in direct combat, aid them, or just serve as background?

Actually, even if he won't be hostile at the beginning, the party will probably attack him to steal his properties, so he should be able to defend himself. He'll also have some "pets": I'm looking for some creatures that fit the "bone" theme, and there will definitively be two modified basilisks with the ability to turn enemies in bones instead of stone.
Party composition:
- dragon-wrought kobold warlock (NM)
- lizardfolk cleric (CM)
- half-orc scout/ranger (CM)
- drow fighter (CM).
They hit ECL 5 in the last session, so I have a lot of time to build this encounter.

Away from the books right now, but Spellthief a possibility? They tend to be melee-ish. Duskblade also came to mind with a very melee-centric possibilities.
If I remember correctly, Duskblade is Int-based, and I don't even know if it has access to three transmutation spells. Yet, you're right: Duskblades are cool.
On the other hand, I don't like Spellthief really much.

Talionis
2012-06-04, 03:02 PM
If I remember correctly, Duskblade is Int-based, and I don't even know if it has access to three transmutation spells. Yet, you're right: Duskblades are cool.
On the other hand, I don't like Spellthief really much.

Duskblade is Intelligence based, so it would make you a little MAD, but you only get sixth level spells, so you don't need a ton of Intelligence if you pick spells without saves.

It does have at least three Transmute Spells -- A large number of the self-buff spells are Transmutation. Enlarge Weapon (PHB2), Animal ____ in PHB2, and ____ Corona in PHB2 increased your strength for a good amount of time by a little bit and then you can pop it to give yourself +6 for one round. I found three spells in PHB2 and quit looking.

The Duskblade spell list isn't too big, but if you wanted to have Full BAB and a whole lot of low level melee spells per day and channeling it would be an excellent choice to get into Osteomancer. I see the Channelling as very valuable for a melee-centric caster. Here you'd want to look for good debuff spells and possibly good ways to add some touch spells to your list.

Waker
2012-06-04, 03:23 PM
I completely brainfarted and forgot about the Hexblade. That's another class that is melee oriented but has cha-based spellcasting. The character wouldn't be able to meet the class requirements until level 6 though because of it's slow spellcasting progression.
I like the idea of a crazy dude living in a cave who makes statues out of bone and can literally curse you. Use the revision here
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466

Uncle Pine
2012-06-04, 03:50 PM
I completely brainfarted and forgot about the Hexblade. That's another class that is melee oriented but has cha-based spellcasting. The character wouldn't be able to meet the class requirements until level 6 though because of it's slow spellcasting progression.
I like the idea of a crazy dude living in a cave who makes statues out of bone and can literally curse you. Use the revision here
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466
Well, it's actually weird to have only 1 spell per day at 6th level. Even though I'll try to build a revisioned hexblade 7/osteomancer 5 NPC. Greater Hexblade's Curse is really sweet, and I only give up Aligned Bones and a +1 on all saves.
I'll also have a look at Duskblade, because it has more interesting spells in my opinion.

EDIT: Do you know if there's some special material to make an armor that seems made out of bones?
EDIT_2: Does any of you also know which are the durations of seize the core and wield the core? I can't find them anywhere.

Waker
2012-06-04, 04:11 PM
There isn't a bone special material as far as I'm aware. There is bone armor (Light) in A&E as well as Exoskeleton Armor (Medium) in Magic Item Compendium.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-04, 04:24 PM
There isn't a bone special material as far as I'm aware. There is bone armor (Light) in A&E as well as Exoskeleton Armor (Medium) in Magic Item Compendium.
Exoskeleton Armor is medium, which is good. I'll check if he can afford it.

I'll also re-post this for clarity: :smallsmile:

EDIT_2: Does any of you also know which are the durations of seize the core and wield the core? I can't find them anywhere.

Waker
2012-06-04, 04:31 PM
Seize the Core doesn't have a listed duration. Wield the Core has a duration of 1 minute per Osteomancer level(end of the second paragraph). For Seize the Core I would suggest that the duration is either the same as Wield the Core or concentration.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-04, 04:37 PM
Seize the Core doesn't have a listed duration. Wield the Core has a duration of 1 minute per Osteomancer level(end of the second paragraph). For Seize the Core I would suggest that the duration is either the same as Wield the Core or concentration.
Thank you again. For Seize the Core's duration, I think that making it 1 minute per Osteomancer level would lead to a TPK, because it has multiple targets. Yet, if the osteomancer has to concentrate, only his basilisk pet will have the opportunity to strike (which is still quite deadly, but acceptable).

Uncle Pine
2012-06-05, 07:54 AM
I was wondering if I could take Improved Natural Attack (bone spurs). I mean, they are natural weapons, and they work both as armor spikes and spiked guantlets. This would bring the damage to 1d8 for the former version and 1d6 for the latter.

Talionis
2012-06-05, 10:09 AM
I'd allow it in my games, but I'm not sure you really want it.

Is the benefit of the small amount of extra damage worth the loss of a feat? If you needed it to qualify for a prestige class you liked, I would be more in favor of it. Otherwise I'd look at other ways to improve damage, like Snap Kick.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-05, 01:00 PM
Use the revision here
I have a question about the revision. It says:

* Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
So now hexblade can cast while using medium armors and light shields, but he has no proficiency with them! :smalleek: Am I missing something?

Waker
2012-06-05, 01:25 PM
I assume that means he also has proficiency with them. Remember while this post was written by the guy who made the Hexblade, he didn't sit there and scrutinize it too closely.

Talionis
2012-06-05, 03:10 PM
I have a question about the revision. It says:

So now hexblade can cast while using medium armors and light shields, but he has no proficiency with them! :smalleek: Am I missing something?

Agreed it was an off the cuff suggestion which should be given less weight than something in an actual book or magazine. But not having proficiency you can fix witha feat or dip. Or you can also grant the Hexblade proficiency. Just adopting the suggestion is going to be a house rule anyway. It just goes to show the Hexblade is underpowered as written.

Andorax
2012-06-05, 03:42 PM
If you don't mind doing some adaptation, substitute "Transmutation" for "Psychometabolsm" and base it off of Psion or Psiwar.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-05, 04:32 PM
Ok, I think I made something viable.
A small note on average hps: me and my players agreed to treat average results of monsters' hit die as 1 higher. I.e. average result for d10 is 6.5, while average result for d8 is 5.5. This is because we think that average hps for monsters are not enough :smallbiggrin:

The bone trader, Hexblade 7/Osteomancer 5
Medium Humanoid
HD: 7d10+21 plus 5d8+15 (91 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft., 20 ft. while armored
AC: 19 (+1 Dex, +7 armor, +1 shield), touch 11, flat-footed 18
BAB/Grapple: +10/+11
Attack: Spiked gauntlet +11 melee or armor spikes +12 melee
Full attack: Spiked gauntlet +11/+6 melee or armor spikes +12/+7 melee
Damages: Spiked gauntlet 1d4+1, armor spikes 1d6+2/x1d6
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
SA: Greater hexblade's curse 5 times/day, dark companion, sudden quicken 1 time/day, bone spurs, unnerve, enlarge/reduce, iron bones, seize the core, silver bones
SQ: Arcane resistance, mettle, boneless, immunity to disease, skeletal shift
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +4, Will +8 (+4 against spells)
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +8, Craft (sculpture) +4, Heal +3, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (nature) +4
Feats: Combat Casting, Curse of Paranoia, Empower Curse, Improved Familiar, Obtain Familiar
CR: 12
Alignment: NE
Treasure: 34 gp, breastplate +2, masterwork light wooden shield, necklace of natural weapons +1 maiming

Spells per day: 2/1 (DC 14 + spell level, enchantment +2, CL 9)
Spells known: 1°- Augment familiar, Backbiter, Charm person*, Expeditious retreat; 2°- Alter self, Invisibility

The bone trader, after alter self (Phaerlock)
As above, but:
Initiative: +0
AC: 25 (+7 natural, +7 armor, +1 shield), touch 10, flat-footed 18
BAB/Grapple: +10/+12
Attack: Spiked gauntlet +12 melee or armor spikes +13 melee
Full attack: Spiked gauntlet +12/+7 melee or armor spikes +13/+8 melee
Damages: Spiked gauntlet 1d4+2, armatura ossea 1d6+3/x1d6
Saves: For +11, Ref +3, Will +8 (+4 against spells)
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +8, Heal +3, Jump +4, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Knowledge (nature) +4, Swim +4

Howl, howler familiar
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
HD: 7 (45 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 60 ft.
AC: 21 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +9 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 18
BAB/Grapple: +10/+15
Attack: Bite +14 melee
Full attack: Bite +14 melee and 1d4 quills +9 melee
Damages: Bite 2d8+5, quills 1d6+2
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
SA: Quills, howl
SQ: Darkvision 60 ft. *
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +11
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +14, Concentration +8, Craft (sculpture) +3, Hide +8, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (nature) +3, Heal +6, Listen +13, Move Silently +12, Search +7, Spot +13, Survival +2 (+4 following tracks)
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative
CR: -
Alignment: CE

*Howl also has all the benefits of being a familiar, of course.

Brief strategy: If some Humanoid outsiders goes hostile, the bone trader will first curse them and then charm in order to make them "stay still while he catches the moment". Which means that he'll make his basilisk petrify bonify them before he starts sculpt some statues out of them.
If he can't charm opponents, he'll just use alter self to turn into a phaerlock while Howl impale them with his quills. He should then be able to kill the outsiders thanks to their huge penalties to AC, saves and to-hit.

Again, thank you a lot for suggestions and clarifications, feel free to comment :smallsmile:

EDIT:

If you don't mind doing some adaptation, substitute "Transmutation" for "Psychometabolsm" and base it off of Psion or Psiwar.
It's really a nice idea, but I almost finished the hexblade build, so I'm not going to use this house rule. Thank you anyway.

Waker
2012-06-05, 05:28 PM
I don't know if the Charm Person plan is all that viable. Certainly a DC 17 would be a save that a low-will character could fail, but often times when one party member decides to attack, they move en masse. What will you do to the other 3-4 party members?
Investing two feats to use a somewhat subpar tactic isn't that great. You might be better off getting some combat related feats or using the Hex feats from Drg 339. I might dig out my issue later to give you some examples, but the hex feats expand on the uses and powers of the hex.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-06, 04:32 AM
I don't know if the Charm Person plan is all that viable. Certainly a DC 17 would be a save that a low-will character could fail, but often times when one party member decides to attack, they move en masse. What will you do to the other 3-4 party members?
Investing two feats to use a somewhat subpar tactic isn't that great. You might be better off getting some combat related feats or using the Hex feats from Drg 339. I might dig out my issue later to give you some examples, but the hex feats expand on the uses and powers of the hex.
Having charmed characters defend the bone trader against the rest of the party could be fun, but I'll have a look at Dragon #339.

Uncle Pine
2012-06-06, 06:01 AM
Switched Greater Spell Focus, Improved Toughness and Spell Focus with Curse of Paranoia, Combat Casting and Empower Curse, respectively.
Also, added some ranks in Craft (sculpture), because he'll need them in order to sculpt someone something :smallwink: