PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Flail of Ages?

danzibr
2012-05-31, 07:28 PM
Ahh, that flail from de'Arnise Keep. And then later Watchers Keep.

Is there a weapon in 3.5 which is similar? Or does anyone know of a good conversion?

My guess is you'd just have it be a +x weapon, where x is the number of heads, then throw on things like cold, shock, corrosive, et cetera. Dunno about the slowing business.

EDIT: Oh right, I totally forgot about the free movement and magic resist. For the purposes of my campaign I'd probably scrap them... but maybe not.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-05-31, 07:47 PM
Damn, BG2....

Haven't played that in AGES. It's be nice to see a conversion, or something.

Starbuck_II
2012-05-31, 11:16 PM
Well, base flail before ToB:
Enhancement bonus +3
And the elemental damage, closest:
Frost special ability +1
Corrosive special ability +1
flaming special ability +1

Each of those would add +1d6 damage of the respective elemental type to the weapon's damadge

That would make it (pre ToB) a +6 weapon when adding up enhancement bonuses and special abilities, or 72,315 gp

Lets see, if we make the Slow effect Use Activated (by swinging and hitting with the weapon), it would cost spell level 3 x caster level 5 x 2000 gold. So 30,000 gold. The save to negate the Slow effect would only be a DC 14 Will save, and the effects would last 5 rounds.

You are supposed to compare to similiar magic items when pricing, and the Freedom of Movement effect is the same as a Ring of Freedom of Movement, so costs 40,000 gold. (And it is a good thing you are supposed to compare to existing magic items. The formula says this effect would actually cost 84,000 gold.)

One estimate:
So +3 Flail that deals Frost, corrosive, and flaming with Slow and Freedom of Movement is 142, 315 gp.

Now, lets reexamine the ability elemental damage. The flail did 1 point not 1d6. Should we stay true to original?
We can probably make up an elemental property instead of using Frost, Corrosive, and flaming. But how much is +1 acid, +1 frost, +1 cold?

Is it worth a +1 or a +2?
If +1, that saves us 40K.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-01, 06:35 AM
Now, lets reexamine the ability elemental damage. The flail did 1 point not 1d6. Should we stay true to original?
We can probably make up an elemental property instead of using Frost, Corrosive, and flaming. But how much is +1 acid, +1 frost, +1 cold?

Is it worth a +1 or a +2?
If +1, that saves us 40K.

First off, nicely done!

Secondly, I'd argue for it being a +1 ability - First off, it wouldnt be that powerful of an ability. The only precedence I can think of off hand for adding a single point of elemental damage is dragonfang weapons (from Draconomicon), and it's a flat increase in the base price (something relatively small, at that).

Occasional Sage
2012-06-01, 07:21 AM
Don't forget the "multiple different effects" upcharge.

Yuukale
2012-06-01, 08:47 AM
compare with collision, 5 flat dmg. I know we're talking about "just +3", but each from a different element, thus bypassing some DR ?

awa
2012-06-01, 08:56 AM
a weapon crystal from magic item compendium allows you add d6 elemental damge at a very reasonable straight price rather than having to add another whole + to the weapon.

I think the multiple effects up charge only applies to wonderous items.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-01, 11:55 AM
You are supposed to compare to similiar magic items when pricing, and the Freedom of Movement effect is the same as a Ring of Freedom of Movement, so costs 40,000 gold. (And it is a good thing you are supposed to compare to existing magic items. The formula says this effect would actually cost 84,000 gold.)

Well, but this effect in a weapon is either slotless (double cost) or an additional ability (1.5x cost).

Occasional Sage
2012-06-01, 08:09 PM
I think the multiple effects up charge only applies to wonderous items.

Note that Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) (where the "multiple abilities" listing appears) covers multiple types of items, including weapons.

Saintheart
2012-06-01, 11:56 PM
Remember, the full Flail has five heads, not just three. From memory there was a Poison head as well as one other, but I can't remember what.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-01, 11:59 PM
Remember, the full Flail has five heads, not just three. From memory there was a Poison head as well as one other, but I can't remember what.

But that was an epic magic item, since you're epic in ToB