PDA

View Full Version : Canith wand adept

thorgrim29
2012-05-31, 11:22 PM
Hey, I have a few questions about the canith wand adept, from Sharn, city of towers.

Is there a way to get an artificer to that PRC before level 9?
Is the third level worth taking considering I don't think action points will be a part of the game I'm playing in (probably going to use the pathfinder equivalent)?
What kind of build takes the most advantage of the class while being effective at low levels?

Thanks

Ingus
2012-06-01, 06:24 AM
Is there a way to get an artificer to that PRC before level 9?

No. Wand Mastery has caster level 9 as prereq, so you may take it as a ninth level feat (providing you use the "you get the prereq, you take the feat at the same level" rule).
So, unless you use a massive cheese to early entry it (check Mystic Theurge early entry for reference), you can access the PrC at level 9 at best.

Is the third level worth taking considering I don't think action points will be a part of the game I'm playing in (probably going to use the pathfinder equivalent)?

Third level of the PrC gives you a +1 to DC of wands, a night-useless feat (at 12th level Least Dragonmark is not a big deal anymore) and the action point-charges exchange. You may talk to your DM to compensate the lack of action point retconning it to wathever pathfinder equivalent is. Or just drop the PrC at 2nd level.

What kind of build takes the most advantage of the class while being effective at low levels?

This PrC gives you CL using wands, so it is quite useful for a Blastificer.
You may also think to use it for a Dispellificer (normal: dispels are usually a bad choice for the CL cap).
It seems quite a simple PrC to splat into.
Just buy a Rod of Many Wands and be happy.

Invader
2012-06-01, 06:44 AM
I always wished there was a better Prc for wand users than this.

1. It takes to long to get into
2. It's still capped at 3rd level spells
3. The bonuses you get are really offset but how fast you'll be burning through charges

Dead_Jester
2012-06-01, 06:53 AM
3. The bonuses you get are really offset but how fast you'll be burning through charges

The last one really isn't a problem if you are an Artificier, due to how experience functions in 3.5. You can spend however much experience you want, and you'll never end up more than 1 or 2 levels behind the rest. If you are smart, you can probably manage with no exp loss at all.

Also, AFAIK, Pathfinder doesn't have exp costs for item creation, so ask the Dm if your using those item creation rules or the 3.5 ones. In either case, money shouldn't be too much of an issue, as your making most items at 25% (or 37.5, depending on how you read the feats) of market value.

Madcrafter
2012-06-01, 10:06 AM
I always wished there was a better Prc for wand users than this.

1. It takes to long to get into
2. It's still capped at 3rd level spells

This. It's unfortunate, but it really is a terrible PrC.

1st level- Either you can cast Identify, or you can find someone who can cast Identify, if you really even need to. Wand focus is decent though, and really the only highlight of the class. Nonetheless, if you are using wands (and as an artificer, you are) you should be sticking to ones that don't allow a saving throw anyways (even as a blastificer).

2nd level- Quick draw should not be too much of an issue hopefully, and isn't worth a class level. Dual wand use can be replaced by an item (the Rod of Many wands, as mentioned above) or by just quickening your second spell and burning four extra charges.

3rd level- Siphon charge might be fairly decent if you could use it to speed up infusions, but you can't. From my experience one usually has enough action point anyways though, unless one is an artificer, in which case there are other ways of getting them. The dragonmark is meh, another free feat.