PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Vanara - Prehensile Tail

Gorfnod
2012-06-01, 07:33 AM
So I am going to be playing a Vanara Bard in an upcoming PF game and am wondering something about their Prehensile Tail ability (in the spoiler).

From d20PFSRD
Prehensile Tail (Ex): All vanaras have long, flexible tails that they can use to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but the tails do allow them to retrieve small stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.

See I had always just kind of assumed that it was like a once per round quickdraw of sorts but the wording "tails that they can use to carry objects" has got me thinking. I plan on this character being a bit of a party joke and he will be quite often using an assortment of crazy items, most notably will be the Rod of Wonder. So I was thinking that maybe he could "wield" the rod with his tail.

From d20PFSRD
Activation: Details relating to rod use vary from item to item. Unless noted otherwise, you must be holding a rod to use its abilities. See the individual descriptions for specifics.

This would leave both his hands free for whatever else I wanted but I would still be able to throw around some shenanigans when I felt like it without having to switch out anything else.

What do you think?

TL;DR - Can a vanara's prehensile tail be used to hold a rod that is actived by the player?

Keneth
2012-06-01, 07:50 AM
You can use wands, rods, and similar items with it, yes. Of course you can't use a rod as a weapon (which most rods are) since you can't actually wield it.

Note that the tail doesn't give you any extra actions, just another "hand" to hold stuff in.

Invader
2012-06-01, 07:58 AM
You can use wands, rods, and similar items with it, yes. Of course you can't use a rod as a weapon (which most rods are) since you can't actually wield it.

Note that the tail doesn't give you any extra actions, just another "hand" to hold stuff in.

Yeah I'd agree that you could hold a rod and even activate it as long as you aren't trying to get more actions per round wit it.

Ashtagon
2012-06-01, 08:15 AM
As long as all you are doing is waving or pointing with it, I'm cool with that.

Anything that involves actual strength or manual dexterity though? No.