PDA

View Full Version : Spellstaff for an Archivist

Jeff the Green
2012-06-01, 08:37 AM
So I've got a new character, a Beguiler 1/Archivist 2/Mystic Theurge 9 specializing in summoning, with a bit of blasting/save-or-die on the side. Several of his fun spells are touch ranged, and I'd like to get spectral hand to use them at range. As far as I can tell, it's not available to an archivist through any means, so I'm going to put it into a runestaff.

But I can't think of what else to put in it. It needs two 2nd-level spells (including spectral hand) and one 3rd- or 4th-level spell (which is 1/day rather than the normal 3/day).

I had thought about wings of cover, and making it something like the Runestaff of the Dismembered Archangel, but that's a bit of a stretch and I can't figure out what 3rd-level spell would go in there.

So I'm open to suggestions. What arcane-only spells are there that would be nice to have a few times per day, and wouldn't be duplicating the Wizard/Druid/Arcane Hierophant's shtick?

Diarmuid
2012-06-01, 12:08 PM
Just a question, is your DM OK with your cherrypicking your Runestaff like that?

That's one of the tradeoffs with the runestaves IMO is that you get a set selection of spells which may or may not all be useful to you. If what you're proposing is that easy, why would there ever be a Runestaff with anything but the best spells on it?

Jeff the Green
2012-06-01, 12:26 PM
:smallconfused: The rules for making new runestaffs are basically the same as the ones for wands or regular staffs, just priced a bit differently.

As for why you wouldn't just have a staff with all the best spells, it's freaking expensive (spell level squared, times 400 for the highest level spell or times 200 for the lower level spells), the spells have to be thematically linked, they use your own spell slots, and if the spells aren't on your list you have to UMD it.

Downysole
2012-06-01, 01:30 PM
I don't know about arcane only spells, but some suggestions that would fit the theme of adding body parts are:
Lv2
Chain of Eyes, Slapping Hand
Lv3
Evard's Menacing Tentacles, Girallon's Blessing, Hamatula Barbs, Skull Watch, Tongues (heh)