PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Tabletop Adventures - Too Stong?

Hefty Lefty
2012-06-01, 12:10 PM
Hey y'all,

I playtested a random PTA encounter with two friends last night. It was fun for the most part, but attacks (all attacks) just seem way too strong.

Let's take a look at Bubblebeam. It deals 3d8+10 damage. The user adds his Special Attack stat, and most likely STAB. The only thing a defender can subtract is his Special Defense.

This attack one-shotted its two opponents in a battle where all pokemon were level 13 and water wasn't super-effective against either opponent.

Is this just how PTA is played - battles are all ended in two or three rounds, max? Or am I missing something?

Seerow
2012-06-01, 12:14 PM
2 or 3 rounds sounds about right. It's trying to emulate actual pokemon right? How many pokemon battles at level 13 take more than 2 or 3 rounds?

Esprit15
2012-06-02, 02:20 AM
Additionally, the low levels are known for being quite unbalanced. The devs have been working on a way to make low levels less lethal, but haven't had much luck. The game is intended for higher levels, not single digits. One trainer battle ended in an outright kill in one hit at low level in a game I'm in right now. It's difficult to balance power, but it also does add a sense of realism. Setting fire to newborn birds, slicing at bugs, etc. will be very dangerous and could be lethal.

planswalker
2012-06-02, 05:18 AM
The system has lethality at low levels, yes.

that's because the devs chose to balance things at high level and basically said "screw low levels".

I think they picked the wrong tactic personally, as they should have focused on the tl 3-20 range.