PDA

View Full Version : Strange Fortune

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 05:36 PM
Slowly, your creeping suspicion gives way to the dawn of an incredible realization: This isn't another nightmare. After what seemed like an unending marathon of fear, pain, and terrifying visions, you are actually awake, and alive. You are cold and sore, but there is some small comfort in the knowledge that these sensations are indeed real. With your eyes still sealed shut, you feel that you are laying on a rough, gritty stone floor.

Slowly opening your eyes, the first thing you see are iron bars. You are in a cage, one of many in this rectangular stone room. There are eight cages in total: five side-by-side along one of the long walls, and three cages on the opposite wall which are separated by a large iron door that appears to be the only exit from this dank room. Every cage is held shut by a heavy lock. Next to the door a small, flickering flame casts a weak glow throughout the prison chamber from the cup of a free-standing torch with a round base.

Attending to yourself, you notice that are wearing your usual clothes, but they have been ripped and stained (with what you cannot be certain). The rest of your possessions are missing. You hear a moan, and finally clue in to the fact that you are not the only prisoner here.

The two side-by-side cages next to the door hold a dog each. The one in the corner cage is small and black save for a few patches. The one held closer to the door is a very large dog that looks to be of a northern breed. In the third cage on that wall (on the other side of the door where the torch stands) rests a very young-looking half-elf woman with dark features. Along the wall opposite the door, only three of the cages are occupied. The cage in the corner across from the small dog holds and extremely thin and pale young human woman with raven black hair. In the middle cage, flanked by an empty cell on either side, is a particularly tough-looking dwarf. In the far corner, across from the half-elf, is what appears to be a man (but his face is towards the wall and his features are otherwise hidden in shadow).

Now, your mind begins to race. You realize that you have no memory of how you came to be in this terrible room, imprisoned with strangers. When? How? Who? It feels as if several days of your own memories have somehow been stripped from your mind. Were the nightmares perhaps, not entirely dreams?

Aeti
2012-06-01, 06:56 PM
Valette shifts uncomfortably and tries to rub some feeling into her sleeping legs. Speaking quietly, she rasps in an unused voice, "W-where.. are we?"

Shakedown
2012-06-01, 07:05 PM
Jacinth sits up at the sound of a voice, fighting back panic. Whoever spoke has a good point - someone thinks they're dangerous, or they would have been thrown in with the drunks. The skinny girl in the far corner doesn't look like much of a brawler, meaning her talents probably lie elsewhere. Too complicated. The man across from her is standing in shadow - watching? - which is what she would be doing if she hadn't woken belly-up like a fish, and dad always says not to trust people who act like you do. Dad also says to make friends with people who are bigger than you, and what the stoic-looking dwarf appears to be making up for his lack of height with a surplus of brawn. He could probably bash some guards around if it came to it.

Jacinth scoots over to the corner of her cell, as close to the dwarf as possible. Leaning on the bars to feign nonchalance - and steady her shaking hands - she says "Some party last night, huh?"

roll for diplomacy [roll0] - I have 3 ability modifier, 1 rank and 2 racial modifier so I get +6 right? Also, HI EVERYONE fun game times ahoy!

Aeti
2012-06-01, 07:21 PM
Valette is silent for a moment while she rakes her memories for anything that could provide a clue to what is going on. "Yes," says Valette uncertainly. "It must have been.. I don't remember anything. Was it a party at the Duke's?"
Valette is making a sense motive to determine if Jacinth has also made an enemy of Natt Farstaff- Sense Motive[roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-01, 07:23 PM
Thårin, slightly dazed and dealing with with a mild head-ache, ignores the human and half-elf and assesses the situation. He assesses how deep underground this dank hole is and also examines the cage to see if he can notice any weak spots.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:42 PM
Thårin senses that he is about 90 feet underground. The craftsmanship of the prison is rather ugly, but effective. The bars are strong and well-set, planted firmly in the floor, ceiling, and walls wherever they meet. Adjoining cells share the same barred walls. The stonework of the room is that of an underground chamber carved out hundreds of years ago. It was not expertly excavated, and there were certainly no dwarves on hand when that took place.

Jacinth's nerves are showing as Valette inspects her.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 07:59 PM
Testing the bars, Thårin finds one vertical rod that he can wiggle up and down a bit, as much as the more firmly-planted bars attached on either side allow (the numerous vertical bars are all connected by a single horizontal bar running through the middle of their height). A scratchy, grating sound is the only result of this action.

Shakedown
2012-06-01, 08:06 PM
The duke? Why would there be dukes? They're trapped in cages and this girl thinks they went to a party with a duke? Jacinth notices that the dwarf has started to inspect his cage - a man with a plan! Seeing someone being proactive helps her curb her panic. She also starts inspecting the cage, measuring the gaps between the bars. In the meantime, well, why not dukes?

"Oh yeah, the duke. Totally. What an animal. You guys seemed to be hitting it off pretty well!"

um, checking for spaces bigger than my head for eventual escape artist use? is there a roll for this?

also, Gather Information on Valette, to find out what a duke has to do with anything [roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-01, 08:34 PM
Thårin, still focused on his cell and not his fellow prisoners, attempts to further loosen the iron bar.

Strength check [roll0]

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-01, 09:51 PM
A rough sleep through the night ends with the sound of people nearby, and Whiskey is compelled to yawn. The moment his eyes open he's on his feet with a confused growl, and is soon gnawing on the iron bars angrily. He pauses to properly have a look about after a moment, ears erected as he looks to the large, already awake dog nearby, who gives him a blank look.

Whiskey emits what can only be described as a grumble and begins to snuffle around the cell thoroughly, an attempt to familiarize himself with his surroundings.

Aeti
2012-06-01, 10:29 PM
The half-elf was spouting nonsense. It was clear she didn't have any idea of what was going on. What was her motive? Was she just humouring her? "Yes, an animal is the perfect way of describing him," said Valette coldly. "But no matter. It seems we are stuck here with each other, unless we work together to escape? My name is Valette of Wettonbend, and I... " I suppose I need to trust them. "I am a practitioner of the Magical Arts."

jm_jazzman
2012-06-01, 11:17 PM
Thårin continues to jerk the lose bar up and down, filling the room with the echoes of scraping noises and dull thuds. It is doubtful that this effort is having any real effect.

Jacinth measures approximately 6 inches of separation between the bars. Only a very small creature would be able to squeeze itself out of one of these cells.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 12:45 AM
"I've heard of you," says Sam, still facing the wall. "You're that singer that pissed off Farstaff's boy, aren't you?"

He turns to look into the rest of the prison. The only part of the room that surprises him are the cages for the animals, a rare sight in his experiences in such places.

He takes a look around his cell for a bit of bone, a pin, anything with which he could attempt to pick his lock.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 12:48 AM
[roll0]

(clutter roll post wooo)

Aeti
2012-06-02, 01:04 AM
I didn't realize I'd be known.. idiot, idiot! "We've met. Yes." The crack of whips in the night. Slam of a cell door. Mocking laughter. Bloodstained snow. Ashes. Rage boiled inside Valette, and she embraced it. She spoke icily, her every word chipped from frozen blood. "He took everything from me. My life. My father. My home. I'll see him pay."

Remembering suddenly, she gasped and felt around her neck for where her father's pendant had laid around her neck Everything but my hatred has been taken from me.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 01:12 AM
"Oh really now? Going to do some fancy magicks from that school of yours to get us out of this joint? I'll tell you what; you help me find something to pick these locks and I could probably help you out. Hell, we both get out of here and I'll help you anyways. Never liked that bastard family; bunch of thugs hiding behind the guise of nobility."

Not too sure I want to go home, but potential coin is potential coin - and I would assume the Farstaffs have a nice little pile of it sitting around

Aeti
2012-06-02, 01:23 AM
"I'll consider that. I certainly need allies I can trust. But I haven't seen a spellbook in what feels like days, I don't have any.. fancy magics.. at the moment."

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 01:24 AM
"Hey, Dwarf. Stop making that noise!"

Forum y u no all-caps?

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 02:58 AM
"Hm. I guess you and this duke wouldnt have hit it off, after all. I'm sure you're also curious as to why we've been treated to such luxurious accommodation Tell you what, if the two of you can 'practition' us out of here, I'll help you find what you need. Or buy you a beer, whichever you prefer. I'm Jacinth. I've been told that I'm very convincing."

[roll0] for diplomacy

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-02, 04:28 AM
Ears perk up suddenly and quickly, Whiskey is staring hopefully at the source of the new voice. Something about picking locks and escaping and such- It's probably wise from now on to keep a few sets of opposable thumbs as company. He approaches the edge of his cage and pokes his nose in between the bars, and it's very apparent that he is paying close attention.

lando_zeus
2012-06-02, 05:02 AM
"Everybody check your cells for anything we can use to get out of here. Something you could make a lock-pick out of. Does anyone remember anything?"

He examines the stone wall, floor, and ceiling, and also searches the cell for anything of use.

[roll0]

I presume I don't have to roll to search the cell, do I

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 06:59 AM
Looking about, the only thing that Sam finds other than small pebbles is a dark, moist rag balled up and jammed in between the stone wall and a corner bar of the cage.

Thårin, re-searching his cell, finds a fresh shard of stone that must have been cracked from the ceiling during his recent efforts. The shard is only about an inch and a half long, but it is solid and has a reasonably sharp edge to it.

The torch flame seems to grow a little dimmer.

Jacinth and Whiskey:
Jacinth, Whiskey (and his companion) suddenly becomes aware of a sound: some creature is trying to burrow and squeeze its way under the door.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 07:13 PM
"Hey team, be quiet for a moment. I think something's trying to come in."

1d20+1 to listen for more information

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 07:25 PM
GOD DAMMIT ok I ****ed this up so many times, sorry James [roll0] to listen

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 07:39 PM
The scratching sound continues. It sounds to Jacinth like a mouse or other small rodent is frantically trying to force its way through the gap under the thick door.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 08:48 PM
I examine the rag.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 09:34 PM
As soon as Sam pulls at the grimy piece of cloth, the rotting corpse of a rat tumbles out. It appears as though the creature had chewed and burrowed its way inside the balled-up rag before it died. The cloth reeks not only of death, but also of noxious fumes, the smell of which brings back the terrible sensations of the endless nightmare from which Sam just awoke.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-02, 09:43 PM
Both dogs train their eyes and ears in the direction of the new sound, the larger of the two snuffling and pacing his cage slowly. Whiskey is simply quiet and attentive, flaring his nostrils as he smells the air.

[roll0] [roll1] Also, both dogs' Scent abilities if applicable, to attempt to determine if the scent is identifiable or not.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 09:43 PM
Oh, okay sweet. Dead rats.

Sam decides to keep the cloth.

Not because I'm picking up every little piece of crap, but because it could be a clue to what exactly we went through.

Sam flicks the rat towards the dogs. Half because he thinks they MIGHT eat it, and half because that's the direction that gets it farthest away from him.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 09:46 PM
"There's something trying to get in under this door. I think those dogs hear it too. It sounds small, but there could be something behind it. So um... how about those locks?"

[roll0] to listen for something larger behind the door

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 09:50 PM
"Nothing here but a dead rat and a weird cloth. Not exactly primo picking materials."

Just realized that I could have taken some bones from that rat to use as improvised tools. ****.

"Hey doggie, can you pass that back?"

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-02, 09:54 PM
The big dog's attention is shifted momentarily by the tossed rat, and he pokes his snout through the bars to sniff at it tentatively before going back to the task at hand, while Whiskey backs away from it slightly and answers the deliverer with an "Urf?"

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-02, 09:58 PM
"Hey doggie: woof woof, bark, grr, woof bark?"

lando_zeus
2012-06-02, 09:58 PM
Dodge, could you use the spoiler tags for your non-character talk? kthx. Ps, Dodge, are you Tom H.?

lando_zeus
2012-06-02, 10:04 PM
"Oi, anybody else find anything? All I've found is a sharp piece of stone."

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 10:11 PM
examine cell for lock-picking instruments or anything else of note

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 10:25 PM
OK, lando zeus and I just tested this out, I can actually fit my own head through a six-inch space (in this case, my window, hi neighbours!) and I have a giant head, so I imagine Jacinth's little half-elf head is not bigger than mine. SO! escape artist [roll0]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 10:33 PM
Jacinth hears nothing larger coming behind the busy rodent, and the dogs also hear nothing other than what sounds and smells like a hard-working mouse.

Jacinth's cell is bare. Mounted to the wall just outside her cell are a couple of rusty, bent fragment of an old torch holder. The curved metal strips look too wide to form a lock picking tool out of, but they are just within reach. Next to the broken holder (and beyond her reach) rests the stand-alone torch, a 5-foot tall metal stand with a round base and the dying fire in its cup that is the only source of light in this room.

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 10:37 PM
operation pee on shirt is a go!

Jacinth tries to remove the sconce from the wall.

lando_zeus
2012-06-02, 10:52 PM
Thårin examines the cells on either side of him to see if there is anything useful within reach

"If you can get that rag wet and manage to tie it around two of these iron bars, all we need is something we could use as a lever. Twist it 'round and the bars should give a little."

jm_jazzman
2012-06-02, 11:01 PM
The ability to squeeze her head between the cell bars affords Jacinth just enough reach to get a firm hold on the ruined sconce and wrench it from the wall.

The cells on either side of Thårin are bare.

The mouse under the door seems to be stuck. It continues to try to push its way into the room, occasionally letting out a faint squeak.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-02, 11:13 PM
Whiskey gives Sam an unamused look, and then peers around his cell again. This time his eyes are on the bars, and with a careful breath he slowly attempts to squeeze through them.

Taking 20 on Escape Artist, +2 DEX

Shakedown
2012-06-02, 11:17 PM
"Well, I have a sconce. It's better than nothing."

take 20 (+1) for use rope check to figure out how to Shanghai Noon the cell

Jacinth is struck by what Tharrin mentioned, and immediately regrets that this is her only option.

"I'm going to try something. Um...if it doesn't work, it will be strange and embarrassing, so feel free talk amongst yourselves while I do this."

Jacinth then retreats the the darkest corner of her cell, takes off her shirt, silently thanks her past self for wearing very full-coverage undergarments, and attempts a Shanghai Noon.

J can lift 200 lbs off ground, and push/drag 500 according to the character sheet. the site specified that one would need 70 kilos of force - so let's try this!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 12:19 AM
As Whisky slowly squeezes himself, inch-by-inch through the bars, Jacinth goes about testing pairs of her cell bars using a rusty bar from the sconce and her wet shirt. The horizontal bar running through the mid-height of the cage walls prevents the technique from being super effective, but Jacinth figures that if she tries enough spots then it might be possible to find a weaker point where the exotic Shanghai Noon method could prove powerful enough to break one of these joints and then bend at least one of these vertical bars a few inches wider to facilitate escape.

Meanwhile, the determined mouse has started making progress again. Its head is now clearly visible, and it is still striving to squish the rest of its body through the narrow gap under the door.

Whiskey isn't out... I shall let you know if/when he is. For the moment, both escape efforts are "in progress".

Aeti
2012-06-03, 12:24 AM
"What in the seven layers of torment is that creature doing?" Valette asks, staring at the head of a struggling mouse.

Surreptitiously, she removes a small bat from her sleeve and whispers to it. "Eyne. Go see what's under the door, whether it's something to worry about. I want to be forewarned." Letting Eyne loose into the shadows, she turns her attention back to watching the others attempt their escapes.

1d20+14
1d20+6

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 12:37 AM
"*sniff sniff*. Ach, what's that stench."

Aeti
2012-06-03, 12:39 AM
retry!
[roll0]
[roll1]

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 12:40 AM
Whiskey folds his ears back in concentration as he gradually eases himself forward. The big dog in the cell beside him sits on his haunches and seems to wait, occasionally looking around at the other prisoners curiously.

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 12:46 AM
"Um, nothing. It's all part of the plan. So, who got us thrown in prison? It wasn't me. Probably. What do you all remember?"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 01:03 AM
Eyne sneakily swoops around the room and makes a few passes in front of the door, discerning nothing more alarming than the fact that there is a mouse nearly crushing itself in its attempt to enter the room.

Jacinth has tried just about every pair of bars in her cell when finally: *CLANG!*; One of the vertical rods has been torn from the horizontal brace. With a few more turns of the rusty metal inside the damp shirt she is able to winch a few extra inches of space between the unattached bar and its neighbour, just enough room for her to squeeze her small frame through.

At the same time, Whiskey also manages to wiggle and push his way to freedom.

*Squeek!*
The mouse finally pops into the room, and lays panting on the floor. The small creature seems to be wearing something made of leather on its back.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 01:16 AM
Whiskey yips when he feels the lurch of sudden release of tension when he finally pops through, wagging his tail excitedly and plodding over to the door to investigate the mouse, nostrils sniffing away. He slows as he nears the little creature and tries not to scare it, folding his ears back in an attempt to be non-threatening.

1d20+1-1 (if applicable)

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 01:18 AM
"Ha! Yes! Look what I did!"

Jacinth unwraps the shirt and sconce from the bars and walks towards the dwarf. "Want to borrow my shirt? You look like you could bend your bars much further than I could." Leaving the shirt and sconce just outside the dwarf's cage, she goes to inspect the rest of the room, the empty cages/anything within reach inside them (if they're locked), the torch, and the mouse.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 01:19 AM
Trying again [roll0]

Aeti
2012-06-03, 01:19 AM
Valette stares at the mouse.
[roll0]
Her first thought is that it's some sort of messenger mouse, so if it's carrying a message she gets +2 bonus to see that :)

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 01:24 AM
The dwarf, somewhat reluctantly, accepts the sconce and rag and attempts the same maneuver, and does his best to ignore the smell.

James should I be doing a strength check for this? My load caps are exactly twice Jacinth's

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 02:05 AM
Thårin begins twisting at one of the weaker-looking points in the bars.

Jacinth wanders around the room, finding nothing new that she couldn't see before. The empty cells are also locked.

The mouse is not frightened by Whiskey. Valette can see that it is wearing a small leather backpack of some sort.

Nic: Not really a check for this, just a matter of how strong you are. I figure if Jacinth was able to find a weak spot and pull this off, then Thårin should probably be able to do the same, given that he's much stronger.

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 02:06 AM
Well here it is just in case, even though Jacinth didn't do one. Take 20+2=22 . I try it on the bar that I jiggled around before plus the one next to it

Aeti
2012-06-03, 02:09 AM
"Hey doggie, fetch!" Valette encouraged, gesturing to the mouse.

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 02:10 AM
Jacinth goes to inspect the mouse and its adorable backpack.

http://www.whorange.net/.a/6a00e5506da99788330115714c12ef970c-800wi

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 02:41 AM
Whiskey gingerly touches a cold wet nose to the mouse and lashes out a tongue. His ears twitch lightly at the command directed at him, but he otherwise ignores Valette. When Jacinth approaches he turns his head and wags his tail before resuming his examination of the mouse.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 09:49 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone, here we go.

The mouse does not seem the least bit concerned as Jacinth handles it. Inside the backpack is a piece of paper folded several times over into a small square, with a strange rune stamped upon the exposed paper's face.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28145146/rune.JPG

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 10:11 PM
Although the rune is unfamiliar, Jacinth examines it closely, hoping for a spark of recognition.

local knowledge [roll0], and use magic device [roll1]. Since I doubt that'll do anything,

Jacinth then unfolds the paper and examines the rest of it.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 10:40 PM
Bardic Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#bardicKnowledge) is probably the appropriate skill to use here. I'll let your roll count for that.

Jacinth's spark of recognition comes! This is the symbol of the Grand Librarian of Tasperia. It is said in stories that The Great Library of Tasperia holds a complete collection of all the recorded knowledge in world, and that wizards and other students of magic travel there from all over to study the secrets held in the archives there.

Unfolding the paper, Jacinth finds herself staring at this note:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28145146/note.JPG

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 10:49 PM
"OH WHAT THE ****" Jacinth shouts, holding the mouse and the note away from her. "Hey, Valette! I'm gonna need your help! I think I just got a magic disease from the magic university, and since you're all about the magic I think it would be best if you dealt with this!" She brings the mouse and the note to Valette's cell, calling "Tell me quickly if you need the mouse because if not I'm stepping on the little bastard!" before quietly reading the the note to Valette.

why james why, I already peed on my shirt, isn't that enough scatological misfortune for one character

Aeti
2012-06-03, 10:58 PM
"Crush away," says Valette uncaringly of the cute little backpacked mouse. "The note is from Professor Fann, you say? But this seal is the personal seal of Rabid Bugbear B-" she stops and looks embarassed. "I mean.. That was a mnemonic the students used to remember.. um. So our headmaster had a really long and silly name. Anyway! I think it's pretty unlikely Prof Fann would be hexing random people in dungeons.. It might be an illusion so that only the right person can read it?"

Despite her logic, she carefully doesn't take the note. "Can you hold it up so I can read it, please?"

Backstory stuff posted in OOC in a min or so, probably a good idea you guys know I'm not just making this all up :)

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:07 PM
The note appears the same to Valette as it does to Jacinth.

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 11:08 PM
Thårin continues his escape attempt, grunting the whole time.

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:14 PM
Valette takes the note from Jacinth uncertainly. "I don't have any spells or equipment to test the note to see if its genuinely cursed, anyone have suggestions?"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:19 PM
Suddenly, the mouse seems agitated, and begins to squirm for release from Jacinth's hand.

After much sweating and grunting, Thårin finally manages to Shanghai Noon his way out of his cell.

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:22 PM
"If you're going to kill it, kill it already, before it gets away," says Valette distractedly while she inspects the letter.

Please don't kill the mouse! It's got a message for meeee

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:23 PM
The note remains unchanged in Valette's hands, the Grand Librarian's mark constantly attracting her gaze.

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 11:25 PM
"Oh no, I'm not letting this little ****er go until we find out whether I have an ass disease or not. Here, it's from your university, you have it." Jacinth thrusts the mouse at Valette.

Aeti
Valette pokes the symbol with her finger.

DrunkyTheClown
Whiskey's eyes widen as he stares at Jacinth at the mention of the magic disease and immediately begins frantically snorting and sputtering, pawing at his snout and wandering to the edge of the room near Valette's cell, looking rather distressed, and eyeing the mouse and note nervously.

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 11:27 PM
"BY THE GREATSWORD OF KORD, FINALLY! I'll free the rest of you lot in a moment."

Thårin goes up to the door and presses his ear against it, seeing if he can hear anything on the other side.

[roll0]

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:27 PM
"It's just vermin, if you don't have the stomach to kill it then give it here." Valette takes the mouse from Jacinth.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:30 PM
Thårin hears nothing on the other side of the door.

Nothing happens when Valette pokes the Grand Librarian's symbol.

The mouse squeaks and struggles some more.

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 11:32 PM

[roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 11:43 PM
Thårin attempts to open the door silently.

Dex check for silence? [roll0]

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 11:44 PM
"Wait, it's my ass disease, if anyone's gonna crush the mouse it'll be me. I just want you to look at it. Maybe it's little backpack is magical. I don't know. Just take a look, please?"

[roll0] for diplomacy

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:46 PM
Valette takes her hands from the mouses neck and nods. "We can always break his neck in a few minutes."
k, the first natural 20 of the game is edited away, thank goodness you posted Jacinth! I think James and I were going to let the mouse escape in a grapple, and I don't think we were expecting a 20!

Shakedown
2012-06-03, 11:47 PM
oops, [roll0]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:47 PM
Thårin still hears nothing.

Er... not really sure any skill can make the door move especially silently other than just doing it really slowly. No roll for this. If it's a squeaky door, it's probably gonna squeak regardless. Still want to go ahead?

lando_zeus
2012-06-03, 11:48 PM
Yeah I'm going to try open the door, as quietly as possible

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:55 PM
Valette attempts a number of tests with the letter and the mouse.

In order, stop if anything works!

Put the mouse on the letter.
Say clearly "I, Valette, a student of Tasperia, have received this letter."
Put both the letter and the mouse back on the ground (being careful not to let the mouse scurry away)
Fold the letter up and replace it in the mouse's backpack
Swear loudly
say clearly "Roondar Boddynock Bagockle Zim Hallinmally Bardnab Turen-Nackle Nardbig, do you have anything you want known to I, Valette of Wettonbend, Wizardess of Tasperia, first grade, majoring in Necomancy?"

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-03, 11:56 PM
Whiskey approaches the bars of Valette's cell to try and inspect the note, and with a displeased whine looks between Valette and Jacinth.

Aeti
2012-06-03, 11:57 PM
"Well. If we're trapped in here, we can always eat the dog if we get hungry."

jm_jazzman
2012-06-03, 11:58 PM
Thårin slowly pulls the heavy door open. It is unlocked, and not exceptionally noisy.

On the other side of the doorway is a small room with a barrel, a pile of rags, and a rough wooden box with a lid. On the opposite end of the room, a staircase leads up.

An image of a skull with crossed swords beneath it has been crudely painted on one of the walls.

The mouse continues to trying to wiggle its way free from Valette's hands, but does not bite or scratch at her. Nothing new happens with the note as a result of her tests.

Aeti
2012-06-04, 12:21 AM
Her mouth twisted in irritation, Valette continues her tests.

"Sorry, grand librarian Roondar Boddynock Bagockle Zim Hallinmally Bardnab Turen-Nackle Nardbig ..."

"..Roony?"

She tries her sentences again in Draconic, Infernal and Gnomish.

"'Don't let you mind believe your eyes, and never let your eyes believe your mind'?" she quotes irritably. "But how does that help?"

"You're not acting very mouselike, are you? Fine." She sets the mouse down and watches what it does.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-04, 12:24 AM
Whiskey perks up and finally acknowledges Valette, then in a strangely reactionary manner, bares his teeth and snarls at her.

lando_zeus
2012-06-04, 12:25 AM
Thårin walks over to Sam's cell and passes the sconce and wet shirt to him. "Human, it's starting to go dry, you might to freshen it up" he says with a chuckle.

He then proceeds to the rough wooden box, opens it, and takes stock of its contents, looking specifically for any keys that may open up the remaining cells.

Take 10 + 1 on search

Aeti
2012-06-04, 12:25 AM
"Sorry" says Valette absently, then stops and looks at Whiskey. "Did you understand me?"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-04, 12:30 AM
"'Don't let you mind believe your eyes, and never let your eyes believe your mind'?" she quotes irritably. "But how does that help?"

It helps by causing the ink on the page to suddenly run liquid and re-arrange itself into a new message. Only the mark at the top remains the same.

Valette of Wettonbend (and fellow undeserving prisoners),

Do not despair, for your plight is known to me and I shall do what I can to aid you from afar. The fact that have received this message means that I have succeeded in devising a plan to aid your escape. Now that you are awake, you must find some way to free yourselves and make your way to Tasperia, together, with as much haste as you are able. The messenger has been instructed to seek keys and lock-picking tools after delivering this message. Let nobody know that I have contacted you. Trust none other than yourselves, for although you are strangers you have been brought together for the same purpose by strange fortune.

In case it is any bit unclear: you are all in extraordinary danger. It would be too dangerous (for you) if I were to openly come to your rescue, but you are all extraordinary individuals, and I trust that you will somehow be able to find your way to me. I will be able to answer many questions when you do.

Safe Travels! Mind your eyes and keep and eye on your minds!

Grand Master Roondar Boddynock Bagockle Zim Hallinmally Bardnab Turen-Nackle Nardbig

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-04, 12:35 AM
Whiskey tilts his head and stares at Valette and gives an affirmative, if anything ,"Urf."

Aeti
2012-06-04, 12:36 AM
Valette reads the note aloud.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-04, 12:50 AM
Whiskey pauses to listen to Valette read out the note, and with another incoherent little doggy grumble, joins Thårin in the other room.

Shakedown
2012-06-04, 01:09 AM
Jacinth raises both fists in the air, closes her eyes, and lets out a whispered "Yesssss!" After a moment she looks at Valette and says "If my hands weren't covered in my own piss I'd hug you. I didn't want to bust out of prison only to get myself cursed. Good thing we didn't kill the mouse, hey? Oh, and too bad about the extraordinary danger bit, but I doubted I was drugged and imprisoned because someone wanted to compliment my hair." She shrugs and tries to wiggle some of the bars of Valette's cage. "Now let's bust the rest of you out before any guards come. Put the mouse down, I'll follow it to see if it finds anything."

jm_jazzman
2012-06-04, 05:13 AM
The very large box contains a vast assortment of items. Among several articles of clothing and footwear (mostly traveller's garb), there is also:

1 shovel
1 bar of soap
1 spool of thread with a sewing needle
1 carpenter's hammer
1 hairbrush
1 small steel mirror
1 jar of ink
1 ink pen
5 pieces of parchment (in terrible condition)
2 small silver bells
1 locket
1 book
1 smelly pouch filled with who-knows-what
1 saddlebag
1 length of silk rope (50ft)
1 bizarre-looking piece of leather armour that looks like it was made for a small animal
1 towel
2 leather belts with metal buckles
2 knives
1 metal cup with a handle
3 backpacks (empty)
1 vest of medium leather armour (smelly)
1 quarterstaff
2 loaves of kram
1 6-sided die

Aeti
2012-06-04, 11:04 AM
Valette lowers the mouse to the dank stone floor, then folds up the note and tucks it away.
It amuses me to see how much of the stuff in that box is mine. Maybe I like picking miscellaneous items too much.. Also could someone bring Valette her spell book while Sam breaks himself out of jail, please?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-04, 07:49 PM
The mouse scurries through the door, past Thårin, and up the stairs.

lando_zeus
2012-06-04, 07:59 PM
Thårin puts on the vest of armour, stuffs the kram into a backpack, as well as his sharp piece of stone, and puts the backpack on. He then follows the mouse up the stairs.

Shakedown
2012-06-04, 09:20 PM
Jacinth follows the mouse out, and sees Tharrin going up the stairs. She turns to the box and puts on a shirt, then grabs the belts, the sewing needle, and the pen, the book, and the small armour piece.

Jacinth returns, hands the book to Valette - "here, any more secret messages?", drops the belts, needle and pen in front of Sam asking "Can you make a lock-pick out of these?", then waves the armor at the small dog. "Is this yours?"

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-04, 09:30 PM
Whiskey pads over to the box with an active nose, first grabbing the coil of silken rope in his mouth followed by the saddle bag, setting them down in front of him and carefully slotting the rope inside the saddlebag with his mouth and his snout. Picking up the saddle bag in his mouth, he carries it back into the first room and wags his tail in response to Jacinth, dropping the saddle bag and attempting to take the custom piece of armour from her.

Aeti
2012-06-05, 01:38 AM
Valette flips open the heavy leather cover and is delighted by the page brimming with symbols of arcane power. Mouth moving silently, she begins to memorize words of spellcasting Art.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-05, 04:56 AM
As Thårin makes his way up the stairs, he suddenly feels one of the steps sink down an inch or so under his weight. Faint puffs of air can be heard from somewhere further up the staircase as darts fire down from some hidden place above.

Dart attack rolls vs AC14 (good thing you put on that armour!)

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

Just so you know, I rolled a search check for you (with all appropriate bonuses) to spot the trap, since it's unusual stonework and as a dwarf you are able to notice that kind of stuff without actively looking. Unfortunately, that search check didn't go very well.

When applicable, I will always roll search/spot/listen/etc checks behind the scenes for all characters to see if anyone happens to notice something without actively looking for it.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-05, 05:02 AM
Two darts strike Thårin, one in the neck and the other in the shoulder, producing wounds that bleed heavily for their size. The third dart sticks harmlessly into his leather vest.

Thårin takes 8 points of damage, and is now at 6HP

lando_zeus
2012-06-05, 07:46 PM
"AGH!!! Can't believe I missed that trap!"

Thårin pulls out the darts, stumbles back down the steps, reaches into the chest, grabs the towel, and cleans up the blood from his wounds. He keeps the towel pressed against his neck wound.

"Can anybody here heal me?"

James will the bleeding be something that costs me more HP if it's not dealt with?

Aeti
2012-06-05, 10:09 PM
Valette looks up from the heavy tome. "I could slough the flesh from your body and bind dark magic into your bones, turning you into a silent skeleton. It's already going to take me an hour to learn these, and I cannot be having with distractions!" she snaps.

Valette's just a fuzzy bundle of warmth, really.

Shakedown
2012-06-05, 10:39 PM
Jacinth, helping the small dog into its armor, raises her eyebrows. "Did you hear that" - she inspects the tag - "Whiskey? Not another word out of you!" Before Valette can respond Jacinth darts out of the room to help Tharrin with his wound. She does her best to use a spare shirt to bind Tharrin's neck. She then begins sorting the remaining gear into the packs, leaving out the hammer, knives and quarterstaff for later use. [/I]

Take 10 plus 2 with Use Rope if applicable to attempt some kind Of touurniquet

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 01:17 AM
Nic: Nah, the blood's just for dramatic effect. No need to worry about it.

Mia: Jacinth can certainly give that a go, but rules-wise it won't really do anything. The best she could do (other than using magic) would be to make a heal check (DC15) to provide long-term care to help him heal faster (2x rate) as he rests. Otherwise, he'll recover 1HP per level during a full night's sleep, or 2HP per level for a full day of rest.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 01:25 AM
In other news, I'm going to assume that the following happens unless somebody posts differently soon:

An hour passes so that Valette can study her spellbook.
During this time, the mouse returns with a couple of scrap items suitable as lock-picks.
Sam and Valette get broken out of their cells.
During all this, everyone just kinda chills.

Not saying that this has to happen, but it will (for the sake of moving things along) unless anyone REALLY wants to go exploring on their own or something. I'll be back in the daytime tomorrow.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-06, 05:20 AM
Whiskey is visibly appreciative of Jacinth helping him, although oddly he seems quite proficient at squeezing himself into the armour. He laps at her wrists with a doggie tongue and wags his tail until the sound of groans can be heard. While Jacinth tends to Thårin's wounds, Whiskey retreats to the other room to spend an hour sat on his haunches in a strange trance.

Preparing Druid spells. I assume within the hour that animal companion gets broken out as well?

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 10:57 AM
Jacinth and Tharin play an intense round of Stella Stella Ola.

Stella Stella Ola [roll0]
May as well take 20 for a heal check on Tharin too.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 01:28 PM
[roll0]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 04:23 PM
An hour passes. Valette and Whiskey are now ready to cast spells for the day, and everyone (including Arf) has been sprung from their cells.

Can't take 20 on a heal check.

I kind of mis-spoke when I was describing how take 20 works earlier. Rules-wise, it's literally just sitting there rolling until you get a 20 . Generally speaking, you can’t try a Heal check again without proof of the original check’s failure.

Here's what the website has to say:

Taking 20
When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, eventually you will get a 20 on 1d20 if you roll enough times. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take.

Since taking 20 assumes that the character will fail many times before succeeding, if you did attempt to take 20 on a skill that carries penalties for failure, your character would automatically incur those penalties before he or she could complete the task. Common “take 20” skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search.

Anyway, you guys are good to go now!

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 04:37 PM
oooooops. Sorry James that you have to spend so much time teaching n00bs!
[roll0] to heal Tharin.

Jacinth pulls a backpack on, grabs the quarterstaff, and points it at the stairs. "Shall we see what lies ahead? Other than darts of course."

Listen for anyone or anything up the stairs: [roll1]
Search for traps [roll2]
Spot anyone hiding nearby[roll3]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 04:44 PM
Jacinth spots the trick step that must have triggered the dart trap against Thårin (it's the fifth step up). She hears and sees nothing else unusual.

No worries. I won't make any secret of the fact that I spend a lot of time clicking through the D20SRD to double-check things all the time, I definitely can't remember all the rules... there's a lot of them and sometimes they're rather strange.

In the future, you can just say that you're making a spot, listen, or search check and I'll do the roll behind the scenes. I know that nobody here indends to try meta-gaming, but it's still unlikely that anyone is going to boldly stroll through some strange passageway if they know they rolled a 1 on their making-sure-it's-safe check.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 04:48 PM
Note that only rogues can find complicated mechanical traps. We can find simple traps with a Search check: A simple trap is a snare, a trap triggered by a tripwire, or a large trap such as a pit.)

A character with the trapfinding class feature who succeeds on a DC 21 (or higher) Search check detects a well-hidden or complex mechanical trap before it is triggered.

From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm

So we should probably let Sam go first!

ALSO when we picked our equipment, I chose a quarterstaff, and also a crossbow, but since Jacinth has the sole staff and the bow is absent, does anyone mind if I take a knife? Not sure if someone bought two knives to use for themselves

Valette closes the book with a dusty snap then stows it carefully into a backpack. Rummaging through the pack until she finds some clean clothes, she heads back into the starting room alone to put them on quickly.

Finally, she pokes her finger around the spell component pouch until satisfied it contains everything she needs and more.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 04:52 PM
Valette's spell component pouch is in as good a condition as it's ever been.

Ah damn, I totally thought Jacinth was a rogue for a moment there. She seems rather rogue-y. Ok, Sam found the trap (It was DC15 to find, just bee-tee-dubs). I'll ghost-play him for the moment because Tom has been busy with moving and whatnot for the past couple of days. I spoke with him last night and he'll be with us again very soon.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 05:06 PM
Thårin returns to the chest, grabs both knives, swaps out his dirty, blood-stained clothes and shoes for anything in the chest that fits, and follows Jacinth up the stairs, avoiding the fifth step in case the trap reset. He tells everyone else to do the same.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 05:12 PM
He also puts the three darts into the backpack.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 05:17 PM
Valette grabs the locket and puts it on with a relieved sigh, then turns to call to the dwarf heading up the stairs. "Hey Thårin, don't take both of those knives; I bet the thief here is probably experienced in their use."

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 05:22 PM
Thårin returns to the chest, grabs both knives, swaps out his dirty, blood-stained clothes and shoes for anything in the chest that fits,

*wolf-whistle*

Aeti
2012-06-06, 05:25 PM
Pretending to rummage in her pack, Valette leans close to the hidden bat and whispers to it. "Go look up ahead. Return if you find danger, a branching path, can't go farther, or get too far away. And wait ten seconds after we start heading up the stairs before you fly up, I don't want anyone to know about you." Placing Eyne gently on the floor, she ties up the drawstrings on the backpack and follows the group up the stairs.
[roll0]
and for when he passes us on the stairs: [roll1]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 05:47 PM
The hunting knifes are not in great condition, but they're usable.
Treat them as regular daggers.

The theify-looking guy is oddly silent.

At the top of the stairs is a large, round room. In the centre of the room, a chimney descends from the ceiling and rests over a large fire pit with glowing embers but no flames. Next to the pit is a small pile of dead branches and a couple pieces of chopped wood. Four cots (one flipped upside-down) and a stone table surround the fire. On the table sits two dirty cooking pots and three dirty wooden bowls with wooden spoons. Next to the table is a barrel, and on the floor nearby is a forth bowl and a spoon nearby. There are 8 other doorways leading from this room, all evenly spaced around the perimeter. Every doorway has a wooden door (except for the one the party just passed through. The remains of that door are leaning against the wall nearby after apparently rotting off its hinges). One of the other doors is unique in that is has a bolt lock and a sliding spy-hole cover. Another door has a target roughly painted on it (perhaps in blood), and is heavily pocked with knife-marks.

A mouse sticks its head out from one of the pots, squeaks, and then happily returns to eating the scraps inside.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 05:53 PM
Valette begins to search the room, starting with the bunks.
Additionaly, she moves Eyne into a position above the bolted secure door, to use his blindsense warn her of anyone within 20 ft. DM can roll my search for me; +3 modifier.

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 06:34 PM
Jacinth listens at the doors for anyone or anything approaching.

I didn't know we were supposed to pick equipment before we started the game. Whoops. Jacinth: peein' on shirts & stealin' your quarterstaffs

Aeti
2012-06-06, 06:43 PM
Whatever willl I do without my thwackin' stick?? Also I think I enjoy picking equipment too much. I spend like an hour going "well, if I take five sheet of parchment I can get two silver bells!

I have never used a bell, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to be carrying one for the one time that we need a bell.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 08:15 PM
Nothing is heard behind any of the doors.

Searching the room, Valette finds 3 copper pieces hidden among the beds, a daggar, a couple strips of dried meat, and 2 flasks (both filled with some strong, foul-smelling liquid), and what appears to be a ring with a spike set in the place of a jewel or other ornamentation.

The bat's blindsense technically needs to have line of effect in order to work. Since we're talking about sound and wooden doors though, I'd say that maybe it's effective to 10ft on the other side of the door? Correct me if I'm totally in the wrong.

Aeti
2012-06-06, 09:08 PM
I hadn't actually read the entry on blindsense! I was thinking blindsight. It says it needs line of effect, so a door should stop it completely I guess! But if there are any cracks or anything between the door and the floor then I'd say the bat could detect feet approaching? Your call.

Valette pockets the loose change and puts the dagger carefully into her belt. She then uncorks one of the flasks and takes it over to the jar with the mouse happily eating scraps. With a grimace about the smell, she leans over the jar to pour the foul smelling liquid over it.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 10:23 PM
Thårin goes back down the stairs, searches the barrel beside the chest, goes back up the stairs and searches the barrel next to the table, and goes to the door with the peep-hole and looks through.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 11:17 PM
The mouse tries to make a getaway as Valette approaches the table, but it is unable to escape the high walls of the cooking pot. Drawing closer, she sees that this mouse is also wearing an adorable little backpack.
Not sure if this would cause her to change her to act any differently.

Thårin removes the lid on the barrel downstairs, and is punched in the head by a sickening cloud of invisible fumes rising of the foul liquid within.
Make a fortitude save vs poison.

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 11:23 PM
[roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 11:24 PM
Cough hack cough hack

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 11:26 PM
Thårin feels for a moment like he is about to slip back into the nightmares again, but is then able to collect himself and the feeling passes.
Hurrah!

lando_zeus
2012-06-06, 11:30 PM
"Ah, so this is the foul brew that's responsible for our state."

Thårin goes back upstairs, and flips the other barrel's lid off using a knife, and standing as far away as possible.

Shakedown
2012-06-06, 11:42 PM
A spike ring? Very Fall 2011 statement jewelry of you James, I approve.

If Valette doesn't want it I'll take it, I'd wear that in real life. But I'm not going to put it on right away.

Jacinth wanders over to see what Valette is doing. "Hey, another backpack-wearing mouse!" She eyes Valette. "You can search it this time."

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-06, 11:45 PM
The thiefy-looking man finally breaks his strange trance, dropping the strange cloth he found in his cell.

"Woah. Did I miss something?"

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-06, 11:46 PM
"Seems like I missed out on the goodie bag. Anybody got a spare blade to throw my way?"

Aeti
2012-06-06, 11:51 PM
Valette carefully seals the flask and sets it on the dark wood of the table. She takes her dagger from her belt and tosses it to Sam. ''Might be you can use this better than I," then searches the mouse's backpack.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-06, 11:58 PM
Sam, still a little groggy from the poison, misses catching the dagger.

"Huh. Okay, I'm just going to sit down for a bit."

He picks up the dagger and walks carefully over to one of the cots and lays down.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-06, 11:58 PM
Whiskey and Arf trot up the stairs after the rest of the party, and snuffle about the room here and there, taking everything in. Whiskey approaches Thårin and inspects his wounds, the smell of blood drawing his apparent concern before he moves on to curiously searching the room with perked ears and a hard working snout.

[roll0] and Scent, if applicable

jm_jazzman
2012-06-06, 11:59 PM
The mouse's backpack contains a note almost identical to the one containing the secret message, except this note doesn't have the strange symbol and this mouse is identified as subject #181.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 12:27 AM
Whiskey finds another mouse with a backpack chewing on something in a corner, but nothing else of interest. The room smells absolutely terrible, but nothing special can be discerned by scent.

Aeti
2012-06-07, 01:31 AM
Valette pours the poison on mouse 181 and watches with interest.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 01:45 AM
The mouse is visibly upset. It looks and smells like the contents of this flask could possibly be the most foul liquor Valette has ever come across... if that is indeed what it is. Hard to tell.

Shakedown
2012-06-07, 01:56 AM
Oh! I forgot. Bardic Knowledge check on the skull logo in the other room. [roll0] and add 1 to that because I am level 1, so it should be 10

Aeti
2012-06-07, 02:07 AM
Valette turns from the distressed mouse, curiousity sated. "Shall we start opening doors and seeing what we find?"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 02:13 AM
Inspecting the faded design, Jacinth recognizes it as a symbol famously used by the fabled pirate raiders of the Low Dunnluns. The pirates were defeated and disbanded by a fleet of Helmo ships several generations ago, and flags with the symbol were brought back by the sailors and hung from the city walls as a warning to all who would make trouble with Helmos. The occasional replica flag can still be found hanging in the Helmos region, especially on certain holidays and days of celebration. This is very commonly-known local history in that area, but Jacinth knows nothing more about it.

Shakedown
2012-06-07, 02:21 AM
"Hey everyone, I think we're in Helmos." Jacinth fills them in on the pirate symbol. "If we're still in the city I can probably find us somewhere safe to stay, but we have to get out of here first. Lead the way!"

Aeti
2012-06-07, 02:46 AM
Valette opens the door to the immediate left of the door through which they came in.
If it's a small room or dead end, search check.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 02:53 AM
A staircase leads down. It looks to be about the same length as the one the party just came up.

Aeti
2012-06-07, 02:56 AM
Leaving the door open, Valette opens more doors in a clockwise fashion, leaving the bolted door for now.

lando_zeus
2012-06-07, 03:58 AM
Thårin puts his ear against the bolted door to see if he can hear anything on the other side.

[roll0]

also, anything in that other barrel?

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-07, 05:30 AM
Whiskey follows Valette and inspects each door as she opens them. He does sneeze periodically, the awful stench piercing his doggy sinuses.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 02:59 PM
Thårin finds nothing so offensive in this barrel. It appears to be just water.

Each doors that Valette opens reveals the same scene: a straight, descending stairway, leading into darkness.

Pressing his ear against the final closed door, Thårin hears nothing on the other side.

Aeti
2012-06-07, 06:05 PM
Turning from yet another similar corridor, Valette addresses the group: "It looks like this is the prison block, do you think it's worth investigating these other areas? This place is such a dump, I doubt there's any valuables left. And I want to escape before these guards get back.. but if anyone wants to explore then I'll back them up."

lando_zeus
2012-06-07, 08:38 PM
"Aye, but what if there are others, like us, down there as well? Perhaps it's best to search quickly. I can check for any traps."

Thårin peers through the spy-hole, and then proceeds to check the 8 staircases for traps.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-07, 09:06 PM
Peering through the looking-slot in the door, Thårin sees a pitch-black stone corridor that goes about 15 feet before it meets another passageway in an angled 3-way intersection.

Knowing what to look for, Thårin finds unusual stonework built in to the fifth step from the bottom of many of the staircases. The rooms below are dark and have a single door across from the staircase. A couple of the rooms have empty boxes. Every room is dusty and full of cobwebs.
I added a circumstance bonus to your search results because it only makes sense that he would be keeping a special eye out for a similar trap in a similar location. I'm also assuming he probably didn't test his luck where he couldn't find anything...

As Thårin is searching the last staircase, those listening by the door notice the sound of something approaching from far off...

Aeti
2012-06-07, 09:26 PM
Stepping quickly over the cold stone floor, Valette moves behind a door and closes it, leaving a small crack with which to see.
The door at 23A on the map

Shakedown
2012-06-08, 12:29 AM
Frowning at Valette's strange behaviour, Jacinth presses her ear to the bolted door. She quickly steps away, pokes Sam, puts her finger to her lips for silence, and motions to him, Tharin and the dogs to join her or hide. She then takes a place behind the door on the other side of the bolted one, leaving a crack to peek through.

Not sure if we need to tell each other stuff in this way, or if we can assume our hive mind kicks in and we all know what's going on. She's behind door 32E. Check to listen for any more information (how many sets of footsteps, etc), [roll0] and hide [roll1]

lando_zeus
2012-06-08, 01:48 AM
Thårin hides behind the nearest door, peering through the crack to try and make out who is approaching.

[roll0]

Since I'm behind a door I imagine I don't have to do a hide check, but here's one anyway just in case

[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-08, 02:55 AM
It sounds like the noise is getting closer, but it isn't possible to determine what might be causing the noise, other than the fact that it sounds very much alive.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-08, 03:39 PM
The sound is now right outside the door. It sounds like 3 or 4 hideous voices babbling in some strange monstrous tongue, and they don't sound happy.

Then, a new sound: the jingle of keys on a ring.

Assuming that Sam, Whiskey, and Arf follow Jacinth, unless they post otherwise. Also, Sam recognizes the language.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-08, 08:59 PM
Hearing the voices, Sam jolts up.

"WHAT?"

He races over to the door they are coming from.

"I did NOT want to deal with their kind today."

He tries his hardest to make out what they're saying.

In case I need a listen roll too... [roll0]

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-08, 11:33 PM
Whiskey and Arf do in fact follow along and both stare at the door, remaining vigilant...

Whiskey does look up at Sam once or twice expectantly, hoping he'll divulge whatever details he might have figured out.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 03:56 AM
Even with his ear against the door, Sam cannot make out exactly what the excited voices are saying. All he knows for sure is that they are coming from unhappy goblins.

The locking bolt slides, moved from the action of a key outside, and the door swings into the room. Three squabbling goblins enter the room as Sam hides behind the now-open door. They don't seem to notice any of the party members, too busy pushing and shouting at each other as they walk together across the room.

Ghost playing Sam a bit just to get this thing happening... seems like hiding would be the natural thing for any rogue to do here. Rolled a hide check, it went very well. He can tell what they've been saying ever since the door opened.

lando_zeus
2012-06-09, 12:16 PM
Thårin attempts to make out what weapons the goblins are carrying, if any.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-09, 04:13 PM
Whiskey quietly watches the entry of the three goblins, trying to note as many details as possible about them. Arf is meanwhile licking his chops, looking ready to spring forth and attack.

[roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-09, 04:29 PM
[roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-09, 05:16 PM
Thårin readies his hunting knives.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 06:02 PM
The goblins are wearing simple, unkempt clothes, and all have piercings with simple metal rings. One has a short bow hanging from his shoulder and a quiver of arrows on his back, another has a sickle hanging at his side, and the third is carrying a shortspear. All three have leather belts used for holding small items.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-09, 06:33 PM
Jacinth should be able to see the goblins as soon as they enter the room if she's peeping through a door crack. Remember, the room is technically circular, don't get hung up on any of the corners from the blocky grid.

Shakedown
2012-06-09, 06:57 PM
Jacinth motions for Whiskey to listen, then points at Sam and casts Message. "what are they saying?" she whispers. "Are there more of them coming? If it's just them, I think we should kill them. I want that shortbow. Whisper your answer back, very quietly, and I'll hear you."

I poked around the rules and it seems like I don't need to roll for the spell, yes? Also, I guess the goblins might hear Sam when he replies but whatever, it's probably about time we fought something other than darts.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-09, 07:42 PM
Whiskey perks his ears up and looks to Jacinth attentively, but not before uttering a tonal yip to Arf. "Wait."

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-09, 07:54 PM
"Just wait. Signal everyone to be ready to attack; if this doesn't work things will get ugly."

Sam takes a deep breath and balances himself.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-09, 08:14 PM
Sam creeps up behind the nearest goblin and attempts to get a sneaky stab in.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll]1d6]/roll]

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-09, 08:16 PM
Oops typo fail. [roll0]

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-09, 08:22 PM
crit chance! roll again!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Shakedown
2012-06-09, 08:39 PM
Feeling a bit silly about talking to animals, Jacinth quietly relays the message to the two dogs and hefts the quarterstaff.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-09, 11:39 PM
Whiskey listens to Jacinth, then peers out the crack in the door again. Arf just sort of looks at her dumbly and wags his tail before following Whiskey's lead.

Shakedown
2012-06-10, 02:55 AM
Attack goblins etc James can you roll I'm drunk.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 05:09 AM
Sam stealthily creeps up behind the distracted goblins and plants his dagger in the base of the slowest one's neck (the one with the bow). Dark green blood squirts out violently as the goblin crumples to the ground and does not move again. The other two turn and yelp in fear when they see the silent man with a bloody knife looming over the body of their comrade. They scramble to ready their weapons.

I'll take this moment to explain some combat mechanics. Normally, at the start of combat, everyone (both you and your opponents) roll an initiative check. This check is used to determine the order of actions during combat. This is the one part of D&D that can really slow down in this online format, because people need to wait on others to do things in turn. To make things easy, I've rolled initiative order for this encounter already.

Sam
Jacinth
Whiskey
Thårin
shortspear goblin
Valette
sickle Goblin
Arf
Bat (forgot name, too lazy to look up)

Each time a new combat situation begins, initiative is re-rolled.

Now, what's happened in this situation is that because you were all aware of the goblins and attacked them before they were aware of you, you get to play a Surprise round. So you get to wail on the poor goblins (in your initiative order) before the start of the real Round 1 of combat where they get to try anything.

But wait, there's more!

Initiative order isn't really written in stone. You can decide (at any time during combat) that you would rather go later in the order. Once you've done this, you can't return to your original position in the order.

You can also chose to hold your action until a specific condition triggers your turn. For example, you can say that instead of firing your arrow at the enemy wizard right now on your turn, you wait until he starts casting a spell, and fire the arrow the second he starts doing that and interrupt him. More detailed explanation of this here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready

I'm also pretty sure you can say/yell very short, simple things when it's not your turn. "Its weakness is bullets!" or whatnot should be fair game.

I'll see if I can think of some alternate approach that will allow for combat the flow more smoothly in this medium without screwing with the balance of the game mechanics.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 05:29 AM
With the goblins still off-guard, Jacinth bursts out from behind the door that was hiding her and makes a swing at the nearest foe with her quarterstaff.
[roll0]
[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 05:30 AM
Jacinth swings wildly and misses by a mile!

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-10, 06:49 AM
Whiskey yips at Arf, "Get 'em!", and takes off in the opposite direction of combat, towards Thårin. Arf in the meantime gnashes his teeth and snarls before quickly joining Jacinth and Sam to chomp away.

Whiskey will have made up some of the distance and will get to Thårin by his next turn, I figure.
Arf is moving to M27 unless a goblin moves into that square.
[roll0]
[roll1]

lando_zeus
2012-06-10, 01:59 PM
Thårin, seeing the dog coming towards him, approaches the battle, knives out.

I move to R29

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 04:18 PM
The great northern dog leaps upon on of the Goblins and viciously mauls it, leaving it helplessly whimpering on the floor.

Having Arf move on Whiskey's turn, as per OOC thread. Also, just realized I pulled a dumb and forgot to roll initiative for Thårin on that list. Fixed that.

Waiting on Whikey's action now, if he takes one other than moving (and Thårin, just to confirm if he adds a couple squares to his movement or not). Then it will be Valette's turn.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 06:22 PM
Whiskey reaches Thårin and touches the dwarf's leg with a paw. Thårin feels a warm, invigorating energy flow through his body from the point of contact.
Thårin is back up to 14HP!

Valette moves into the room and next to the last goblin still standing (who is clearly terrified).

Ok, that's the end of the surprise round. Now beings round 1. Sam, Jacinth, Whiskey/Arf, and Thårin go in that order, then the goblin (if it's still able to do anything by then), then Valette/Eyne.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-10, 07:01 PM
Attack!

[roll0]
[roll1]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 07:23 PM
Sam steps over the body of the first slayed goblin and takes a swing at the last remaining foe. The goblin tries to duck out of the way of Sam's blade, but he manages to inflict a wound upon the creature's shoulder.

Jacinth go!

Aeti
2012-06-10, 07:29 PM
When you are fighting an enemy, and you have an ally on the other side of you, with your opponent between, you're flanking, which means both of you get a +2 bonus on your attack roll to hit. Anyone in L28 or K28 will get this bonus.

Additionally, when flanking, rogues can apply their sneak attack damage.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 07:33 PM
Good ol' Aeti, keepin' the rules honest.
Sam's sneak attack damage [roll0]

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 07:39 PM
The gash inflicted by Sam's blade is more serious than it first appeared! The final goblin crumples up and falls against the wall.

"Please... no!"

His companion in front of him moans. The third of the trio, the first one felled, does not show any signs of life.

Rules time again! Both goblins are at zero HP. At this point they are in super bad condition and basically can't do much more than talk. The third one is either dead or dying (I won't say which). Anywhere from -1 to -9 hitpoints and you're dying... out cold and probably going to croak unless saved with mad healing skills. -10 or below is dead dead.

Also, just to clarify, this goblin is speaking in Common.

Aeti
2012-06-10, 07:49 PM
Cold eyes glittering, Valette messily slits the helpless goblin's throat. She ignores the blood spattering her skirt and spits on the corpse. "Filthy sub-humans."

Sorry Sam! I know you wanted to interrogate them. We have two (or one still conscious, at least) for you though!

Shakedown
2012-06-10, 08:06 PM
Jacinth kicks the remaining conscious goblin to get its attention. "Where are we, who do you work for, why were we captured, and how do we get out of here? Answer quickly. We all have things we'd rather be doing."

Intimidate [roll0]. (+3 for cha and +4 for being bigger than it.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 09:21 PM
The goblin produces a strange sound that could be a laugh or a dying wheeze. "Hzeeee! You has many questions for one who will be dead soon! Hzeeee! Hrzeeeee! No get out without helps from me! Easy to get lost in dungeon, and many traps! Hrzeeee!"

lando_zeus
2012-06-10, 10:00 PM
Thårin approaches the goblin, and slowly presses his foot into it's wounds.

"You'd best be telling the lady what she wants to know"

Shakedown
2012-06-10, 10:28 PM
Jacinth sighs. "It's unfortunate that you're being obstinate. We might have been able to work something out with you - we do have some healing abilities - but not if you're going to be so terribly unhelpful."

sense motive to see if the goblin's lying about the traps and whatnot - [roll0]. Diplomacy [roll1].

Ugh christ why is every roll I make terrible. sorry team.

lando_zeus
2012-06-10, 10:32 PM

[roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-10, 10:40 PM
Sorry that should read 3. I forgot to put in my -2 charisma modifier.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-10, 10:40 PM
The goblin continues to "hzeee" at the party members, now with a twisted grin clearly visible on his face. He seems pretty content with his assessment of how valuable he is to the group alive.

Jacinth is pretty sure he's lying about all the traps.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-10, 11:22 PM
Whiskey arrives (with Thårin presumably) and inspects the scene, picking up weapons and whatever useful from the dead goblins and arranging them on the floor to one side, and barks at Arf when he is about to lunge for the remaining goblin's throat, and instead the large northern dog just stares menacingly.

Whiskey pauses once to hear the goblin's claim...
Sense Motive +3

Aeti
2012-06-10, 11:42 PM
Valette eyes the goblin askance as she retrieves the weighty, iron headed hammer from her pack.
Sense Motive: +1

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-11, 12:44 AM
Sam kneels in close to the goblin, swinging his bloodied dagger by the point.

He whispers to the creature in it's own tongue:

<<Or I could just gut you now if you want.>>

Intimidate [roll0]

lando_zeus
2012-06-11, 02:08 AM
Don't you get a +4 for being bigger than it? So you get a 19 for intimidate?

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 04:24 AM
Neither Whiskey nor Valette really trust the Goblin's claims.

However, the sudden attention from the terrifying shadow-man who had felled his companion without a hint of warning seemed to bring about a change in the goblin's demeanor. He stared at Sam with terror in his eyes, the use of his own tongue apparently making him forget the brave face he had been wearing.

"No! Let me live!" the goblin yelps in his own tongue in reply to Sam. "I will tells you what you wants! I will leads you out from the dungeon! Just let me live!"

Indeed, a 19!

Among the goblins' gear, Whiskey finds:

1 sickle
1 shortspear
1 short bow
1 quiver with 18 arrows
1 ring of keys
1 flask of water
1 flask of foul liquor
1 dagger
3 copper pieces
1 vial of oil
3 belts with holding pouches
1 flint striker

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-11, 04:38 AM
"I trust no one minds me taking this?" says Sam, picking up the bow and quiver of arrows.

"A little less well crafted than what I'd usually use," he says, examining the craftsmanship, "but I guess it will do for the circumstances."

Yeah, forgot about the +4 for size until just before I logged on to check progress. Remembered Jacinth using that for herself.

I'm scary.

lando_zeus
2012-06-11, 05:14 AM
Thårin grabs the sickle, drops one of his knives, grabs the ring of keys, a belt, the copper pieces, and the liquour.

Sam, Jacinth called the bow earlier.

Shakedown
2012-06-11, 05:24 AM
Jacinth picks up the flask of water, vial of oil, and a belt. She also takes the shortspear and drops the quarterstaff.

I get a bonus of 1 for ranged weapons. If your bonus is bigger then you take the bow and I'll get one later, but if melee and ranged weapons are the same for you, I should probably take the bow.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 05:33 AM
Sam gets +3 for ranged weapons, and +4 if he's in close enough. His feats are both archery-focused, so it's probably best if he does take it.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-11, 05:39 AM
Whiskey's eyes dart to one side... "STICK!" And he internally resists the primal urge to grab the quarterstaff and run off with it...

Shakedown
2012-06-11, 05:40 AM
Jacinth notices Whiskey fidgeting and bends down to give him scratchies.

Sounds gooooood I'm sure there will be more badguys to loot down the road!

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-11, 06:28 AM
Whiskey squints one eye shut and leans, his tail seeming to wag automatically. His greatest weakness.

Aeti
2012-06-11, 09:58 AM
At least one of them can get the job done, thinks Valette, looking at the bloodied rogue approvingly. She walks to the unconscious goblin. Raising the hammer, she brings it down with a sickening crunch. Valette then crouches down beside their captive. "I don't like you." She says angrily. "I don't believe you. Cross me and.." she taps menacingly on his knee with the hammer stained in the blood and brains of the goblin's friend, hard enough to cause pain. "Mercy is a weakness. No one hands out prizes for nice behaviour."

Valette casts prestidigitation, and the blood soaking her skirts leaps off in a perfect circle around her, leaving her garments clean. Turning her back on the goblin, she grabs the remaining items.

Two daggers, a quarterstaff, flint, and a belt.

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-11, 11:05 AM
If you REALLY want the bow you can have it. I guess for now my sneak attack may make me better at flanking.

Shakedown
2012-06-11, 11:26 AM
Noticing the look Valette gave Sam, Jacinth sneakily traces a heart in the air around the two of them and wiggles her eyebrows at Tharin.

"Shall we follow our gracious host to the exit?" she asks, gesturing towards the goblin.

Hahah no that's fine, James explained to me that you get a much bigger modifier so it's good that you took it! I'll get a ranged weapon later.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 05:17 PM
The goblin groans and holds a hand over the deep and bloody wound on his shoulder. "Hzeeeee... You think I can can march in this condition? I needs rest, time to heal, or else I dies walking."

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-11, 07:46 PM
Sam goes and grabs the cloth he dropped on the ground earlier and brings it to the goblin.

"Then while we rest for you, tell us what THIS is."

jm_jazzman
2012-06-11, 08:32 PM
"It's to keeps you sleeping, Hzeeee! Keeps you sleeping 'til someone comes for you. Don't ask! Hzeeeeeeee... I swears I don't know who 'tis."

Shakedown
2012-06-12, 12:35 AM
"Can we please get going, I am SO hungry, and if we are actually in Helmos I can probably get us a discount on meat pies!" Jacinth looks at the goblin, then at Arf. She wrangles the goblin onto Arf's back. "Let's go!"

My search modifier is only 1, so maybe Sam can check for traps? And Tharin with his stone skills

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 12:57 AM
Thårin grabs the flask that Valette had emptied onto a mouse earlier, heads back down to the room next to their cells, and while covering his mouth and nose fills the flask with the foul liquid, seals it, and places it in his backpack.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 12:59 AM
The party makes their way through the door down a short hallway to a larger main corridor. The floor of this corridor is made roughly-fitted paving stones. The walls have many dark gaps between the uneven bricks, and slope inward as they rise to form a pointed arch for a ceiling.

"This way," the goblin says, pointing left. "But not too fast. There is a trap. I will shows it to you. Walk 'til you reaches the stone on the right that is pushed too far into the wall, and don't pass it."

Yeah, anyone other than a rogue searching for traps (other than a dwarf when it comes to traps involving unusual stonework) is usually pretty useless even if they have a high modifier.

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-12, 01:01 AM
Whiskey emits a pained, whimpery "Aooorrwhhu" at the mention of hot, succulent meat pie. Arf meanwhile growls irritably, at first reluctant to have a messy goblin stuck on his back before he finally obeys and returns to Whiskey, who bobs his head at him and snuffles at the goblin in a bit of positive doggy body language. "We need him."

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 01:14 AM
He then proceeds to wash his hands in the barrel closer to the campfire, making sure to clean off any trace of the poison.

He pulls the flask out of his backpack, shows it to the others, and says:

"I filled this with the putrid liquid they used on us. Either we can bring it to someone who can tells us something about it, or we can shove down some poor bastard's throat."

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 03:11 AM
Thårin follows closely behind the goblin, constantly checking the stonework ahead of them for any traps that the goblin feels like omitting.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 03:25 AM
Thårin finds nothing unusual as the party makes their way down the corridor, until the group stops at the point dictated by the goblin. Sure enough, there is a brick, sunken into the wall, that looks as if it has seen recent movement. There is nothing else that appears unusual about the hallway here, however. Sam also cannot note anything strange about the passageway.

"Here," Says the goblin, "Very dangerous trap. Large spikes, well-hidden. Must push the stone to pass it. You hears 5 clicks, and then it is armed again."

He looks around at the different faces in the party.

"One of you can press it, if you want. Or I, hzeeee, as you do not trusts me."

Dodge Magnum
2012-06-12, 05:10 AM
"Let me see that a moment, pipsqueak."

Sam takes a moment to look over his surroundings

Is this an appropriate take 20 situation? If so, take 20+4

If not: [roll0]

Also to speed things along here, if I find something dangerous I'll try disable it.

[roll1]

Aeti
2012-06-12, 12:40 PM
"What would make the trap trigger?" asks Valette.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 03:38 PM
"Just walking," says the goblin, "on the floor here. Anything bigger than a rat. It will kills you if you don't press the secret button first. There is one on the other side, too! Hzeeee..." He points at a similarly depressed brick in the wall about 15 feet ahead. "Five clicks, after pressings, to get past the far button."

As Sam carefully inspects the passageway with his keen eyes, a couple of mice can be heard squeaking up ahead. The goblin hzeeees again as the two rodents with adorable little leather backpacks come into view, chase each other in circles, and then disappear again back down the hall.

After some very careful looking, Sam determines that there is indeed something suspiciously trap-like about the section of the corridor between the two sunken bricks.

Shakedown
2012-06-12, 05:25 PM
Jacinth rummages in her pack before pulling out the mug. "Everyone stand well back" she says. "I might be about to do something dumb. Sam, can you point out the area of the trap?"

Presumably everyone stands well back

She also stands back, grabs the quarterstaff from Valette, and gingerly pokes the sunken brick with it.

if rocks fall, everyone dies then sorry guys!
if trap begins to click, Jacinth throws the mug hard at the trap-like area that Sam pointed out to her
if trap does not begin to click, Jacinth still throws the mug down, and also runs away and squeals a little bit

Trying to see what will actually happen with the trap. I'm assuming it will be something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtTmR_v6pz4&t=2m55s

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 05:32 PM
With a little effort, the brick slides another couple of inches into the wall.

From behind the brick comes a sound:

*click*

*click*

(Jacinth spikes the metal mug at the floor with a loud *clang* a few feet beyond the brick-button.)

*click*

*click*

*click*

The mug rests on the floor several feet down the hallway.

Shakedown
2012-06-12, 05:57 PM
Jacinth wrings her hands together. "If I die, tell my dad I love him. And tell Marie from the tavern that the house red is really good, I just lied because I didn't want her to charge me. And also tell Anatoli from the meat pie stall that he would have had to do better than 30 percent off to court me. I mean really. At least give a girl a free meal once in a while, am I right?" she directs the last part to Valette. Without waiting for a reply she takes a deep breath, pushes the sunken brick, waits for the first click and skips as quickly and lightly as possible over the the trap.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Aeti
2012-06-12, 06:29 PM
That felt too easy. Valette narrows her eyes as she thinks. A little caution never hurts. Turning to the goblin, she pokes him with her reclaimed quarterstaff. "Why don't you go next?"

She's sense motive-ing again. +1. Worrying about the possibility that, to prevent escapes, this corridor has been designed so that it keeps track of the number of groups entering, and only that many can leave. Probably being too cautious but I'd rather not get spiked!

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 06:32 PM
Jacinth passes the far brick-button before the 5th click. A mouse squeaks again somewhere further down the dark hallway.

"See?", says the goblin, "Wouldn't have gots by without me, no."

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 06:36 PM
Valette doesn't sense anything especially mischievous in the goblin's demeanor.

"Ok, I goes next,"

With a hzeeeee of pain, the goblin leans over and pushes the brick with his good arm.

"Go doggie! Go!"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 07:30 PM
Arf bounds with the goblin on his back safely over to Jacinth .

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 07:39 PM
"Well, that's good enough for my blood."

Thårin pushes in the stone, and legs it to the other side as soon as he hears the first click.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 07:46 PM
Thårin arrives safely on the other side. So does every other member of the party who does the same.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 07:48 PM
The corridor a head extends straight into the darkness, further than anyone in the party can see, and is crossed by another passageway about 50 feet ahead.

By the way, we need to figure out how the humans can see and retcon that **** in. Because it's like super dark in here.

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 07:55 PM
Let's say I use my darkvision and tell everyone what I see constantly? Maybe we grabbed the torch from before?

Aeti
2012-06-12, 08:14 PM
Suddenly growing tired of carrying the torch that she has been definitely carrying this whole time, Valette casts a spell, then daintily hangs the torch in midair. It follows a few feet behind her.

Unseen Servant.

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 08:22 PM
"Well, would our new friend here" Thårin says while gesturing at the goblin, "like to tell us about what's up ahead?"

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 08:49 PM
"Left. There is a gate."

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 08:59 PM
"What about up ahead, and to the right?"

DrunkyTheClown
2012-06-12, 09:35 PM
Whiskey peers into the darkness and then looks back at the goblin questioningly in time with Thårin's inquiry, eyes glinting in the low light.

jm_jazzman
2012-06-12, 10:54 PM
"You can chose your own way, if you prefers. See what luck and guessings gets you. Hzeeee... or, we can go left."

Map updated.

lando_zeus
2012-06-12, 11:10 PM
"Well then let's get on with it."

Thårin follows Arf and the goblin down the hallway.

He follows providing that that is what the party is doing. If not, he holds on

jm_jazzman
2012-06-13, 01:23 AM
Reaching the intersection, an iron gate is visible to the left as promised. To the right is a dead end, and straight ahead the passageway slowly curves to the right.

"The keys," says the goblin, "the gate is well locked."

lando_zeus
2012-06-13, 01:49 AM
Thårin produces the ring of keys, holds them up and asks the goblin to point out which key will unlock the gate.