View Full Version : [PF] Named Bullet / Abundant Ammunition Combo?

Yorae
2012-06-01, 10:16 PM
So, Abundant Ammunition states:

If, after casting this spell, you cast a spell that enhances projectiles, such as align weapon or greater magic weapon, on the same container, all projectiles this spell conjures are affected by that spell.

So, if you cast an align weapon or GMW on ammunition after you've cast abundant ammunition on that ammunition, the copies the spell makes are affected by the spell as well.

So, this would lead one to believe that if you were to cast Abundant Ammunition, followed by Named Bullet ("a spell that enhances projectiles"), then Named Bullet would affect the copies - is this so? Named bullet affects a single target, whereas the other two spells affect up to 50, but abundant ammunition doesn't seem to care, except that its in the same container.

Seems like it could be a nice clever trick that could be quite good if, say, a Spellslinger were fighting a lot of enemies that were all the same type (or perhaps has a vendetta one very tough creature).

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/abundant-ammunition
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/n/named-bullet

Invader
2012-06-01, 10:39 PM
I believe you're correct. All it says is that it replaces any ammo taken out of the pouch from the round before so if you enhanced 1 round of ammo with named bullet it would replace that round when it was used.

grarrrg
2012-06-01, 11:09 PM
Put me down in the 'doubtful' category.
Abundant Ammunition:

If, after casting this spell, you cast a spell that enhances projectiles, such as align weapon or greater magic weapon, on the same container, all projectiles this spell conjures are affected by that spell.

A strict reading leads one to believe the follow-up spell must target the container. Named Bullet only target 1 piece of ammunition.

Alternately, Named Bullet:

Once the target is used to attack the selected creature, successfully or not, this spell is discharged.

Even if you 'could' enchant a whole container of ammo, the spell is still discharged completely after 1 shot.

Still nice if you can get it to fly with your DM though...

Invader
2012-06-01, 11:23 PM
Put me down in the 'doubtful' category.
Abundant Ammunition:

A strict reading leads one to believe the follow-up spell must target the container. Named Bullet only target 1 piece of ammunition.

Alternately, Named Bullet:

Even if you 'could' enchant a whole container of ammo, the spell is still discharged completely after 1 shot.

Still nice if you can get it to fly with your DM though...

Here's the whole description:
When cast on a container such as a quiver or a pouch that contains nonmagical ammunition or shuriken (including masterwork ammunition or shuriken), at the start of each round this spell replaces any ammunition taken from the container the round before. The ammunition taken from the container the round before vanishes. If, after casting this spell, you cast a spell that enhances projectiles, such as align weapon or greater magic weapon, on the same container, all projectiles this spell conjures are affected by that spell.

You could argue that even though it says "casting a spell that enhances projectiles" it also says "on the same container". It might just be poorly worded because don't most ammo enhancing spells target a set amount of ammo and not the container to begin with?

Personally I think most DM's would allow it (I would) but I can see how its up for debate.

Yorae
2012-06-02, 12:30 AM
Yeah... neither Align Weapon, nor GMW targets a container.