PDA

View Full Version : Some Sorcadin build questions

Essence_of_War
2012-06-01, 11:01 PM
Hey all,

I'm building a mid-level (9th) sorcadin, 32 pb. Race has to be LA+0. All sources available if used responsibly except magazines.

My first pass at initial stats:

Human
str 16
dex 10
con 14
int 10
wis 10
cha 16 +1 +1

1) That look about right?

Feats:
1 - Power Attack
1 (human) - Combat Casting
1 (flaw) - Combat Reflexes
1 (flaw) - Law Devotion
3 - Extend Spell?
6 - Arcane Strike?
9 - Persist Spell

Then maybe later:
12 - Minor Shapeshift
15 - Robilar's Gambit
18 - Divine Might

2) My dex is pretty bad though, so I won't get any benefit out of Reflexes or Gambit until I can enhance with items. Should I go another route with those feat slots?

3) Not getting much out of Law Devotion for another several levels, should I delay this?

4) Are there other good race/feat/stat options that I'm missing? I guess strongheart halfling is always worth considering?

Gorgondantess
2012-06-01, 11:16 PM
Stats look about right. I'd drop 2 points from wisdom and sink them into Dex, though. Initiative is more important than will saves- those should be through the roof.

Note that Sorcadins don't tend to pay off until mid/high levels anyways.
Law devotion works. Not much more to say about that. If you have an extra feat slot, take it, if you don't, you're not missing out on too much.

Best race is probably to take the Aasimar racial progression on the Wizards site and never take the level- you get +2 Cha, minor resistances, and outsider type for +0 LA. Very good deal, and then you could crank up your stats pretty high.

One option is to grab the animalistic power spell (+2 enhancement bonus to Str, Con, Dex) and then the Ability Enhancer feat, which will increase all the bonuses to +4. Not shabby. Combine it with a rod of lesser quicken and it's even better.

Practiced Spellcaster is always a good feat for a hybrid caster. As is Force of Personality (though ask your DM if it applies only to Mind-Affecting or all will saves).

Waker
2012-06-01, 11:46 PM
Unless you are using Combat Casting to meet a requirement, you might want to drop it. Skill Focus (Concentration) is only +3, but it applies to all concentration checks. Or you could simply grab a different feat entirely.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-02, 12:16 AM
Assuming Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8 for the build, I'd recommend the following:

Use Illumian (Naenhoon) for your race, from Races of Destiny. Get the first Sacred Exorcist level asap for Naenhoon Persistent spells such as Wraithstrike, Bite of the Werecreature, Greater Invisibility, and Draconic Polymorph.

Include the feat Arcane Preparation from Complete Arcane, which will allow you to use Sanctified spells from BoED. You don't even have to spend spells known on them, and this gives you access to (Greater) Luminous Armor which benefits from the Abjurant Armor bonus from Abjurant Champion. Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) to fix the Str damage sacrifice that occurs when the spell ends.

Take either Sacred Relic (BoED) or Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC) containing all of your 1/day buffs so you won't have to spend spells known on them. With either of those feats you can upgrade it yourself and add/remove spells as desired. Any hour/level spells can last an adventuring day at your current level with a Lesser Rod of Extend, so be sure to get enough of those. You can even put Dismissal on there to save yourself a spell known, since you'll need it for Sacred Exorcist.

Get the feat Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon, and put Polymorph on your Runestaff. You can now spend two 3rd level spell slots to cast Polymorph, and you can get Minor Shapeshift at 9th level. Assuming you had both Versatile Spellcaster and the Runestaff at 6th level, you can get Arcane Strike as your 6th level feat. With Dismissal on the Runestaff you can even start play with a level of Sacred Exorcist!

Flaws must be taken 'when creating a character' which means if you're creating a 9th level character, your flaws can fall on any level from 1st-9th. Flaw feats don't have to be feats that you could qualify for at 1st level!

Essence_of_War
2012-06-05, 08:25 AM
Unless you are using Combat Casting to meet a requirement, you might want to drop it. Skill Focus (Concentration) is only +3, but it applies to all concentration checks. Or you could simply grab a different feat entirely.

Combat Casting is a feat tax for Abjurant Champion, I'm otherwise partial to the always on +3 rather than the situational +4 myself :smallsmile:

docnessuno
2012-06-05, 08:40 AM
I would take:

1: Power attack
F: Combat casting
F: Extend spell
H: Persistent spell
3: Arcane Preparation
6: Southern magician
9: Arcane strike
12: DMM Persist
15: Quicken spell
18: Law devotion / Divine might / Other

This would allow to DMM persist at level 12, Arcane preparation is good both for (greater) luminous armor and to allow the use of quicken spell.

Gurgeh
2012-06-05, 07:38 PM
Seems to me you'd be better off trading some of your strength for dexterity; you shouldn't have any difficulty hitting in melee, and most of your damage is going to be coming from power attack and spells/feats. Run 14 str/14 dex and you won't regret it.

EDIT: Divine Metamagic requires the ability to turn undead, so it won't be possible to grab it without sacrificing three caster levels. Probably not worth it.

EDIT EDIT: Oh, Sacred Exorcist.