PDA

View Full Version : The Mortal Coil [IC]

Lucretia
2012-06-02, 12:15 AM
Lake Qualis. The clear water reflected the rain clouds above, pregnant and prepared to unleash a veritable deluge at a moment's notice. Thick gray clouds hovered over the small town that encircled Thrix's smallest notable lake. It was a setting as picturesque as any theatrical soul might crave. Fifty new-comers had arrived in the last few days, an unheard-of amount for the indistinct village. For a place of one hundred, receiving half your population in tourists all of a sudden could certainly be stressful. The strain on the food supplies, for instance, was incredible. But the fifty had flocked to the town, and it was doing all it could to take care of them beneath the darkening skies.

A single thread of lightning crossed the tapestry of the sky, arcing from heavens to earth. A few moments later, the basso profundo of nature rolled across, from the slopes of the nearby mountains and over the rich Thrixian grainlands.

The fifty had something in common, of course, but only one thing really: their age. A few hobgoblins sat sullenly in the tavern, protecting their oily manes from the impending downpour. An elf sat on the banks of the lake, his legs pulled in away from the ice cold water. His eyes were glued to a blue woman, her legs within the lake and her head towards the sky. Outside the primary grain silo, an ogre argued loudly (and unintelligibly) with the merchant in charge, while the local butcher suffered the abuse of a pair of half-orcs. Near the local cultary, a human played a lyre and sang perverse lyrics against the Cult of Mortality.

There were many sorts within the town's boundaries, and you five added a touch of diversity even to those who were already there. A ghost, two humans, a gnoll and an elf. Drawn from your respective homes and continents to this place, to this little no-name town beside some silly little lake by an inexplicable urging. It was the same reason that the other forty-five strangers had arrived here over the course of the last few days. It was the same reason you were wherever you were within the town.

The urge hadn't given further instructions. There weren't any additional commands. Just a constant, dull, throbbing feeling pulsing through each and every one of your minds:

Stay. Put.

It had been that way since the moment you stood on the weathered flagstones of the village. The incredible nudge had just vanished. And what a strange thing it had been! When you were idle, you'd find yourself turning towards the town's direction. When walking aimlessly, you aimed towards the lake. Your thoughts would arrive at the place when you attempted to think of something else. Indeed, whatever this strange magic was, it would not leave you be.

In the tavern, near the finicky hobgoblins, a human spoke loudly about how her magic was unable to block out the calling, as she referred to the urge as. "Not a thing I could do about it," she would caterwaul, throwing her arms up and letting the various bangles jangle off-tune. "Most gifted abjurer in the Mystfel, and I couldn't put it out of my mind, can you believe it?" Those who looked on her for her physical appearance would nod -- sorcerers were always somewhat attractive, it seemed, as though the inherent magic did a bit of corrective surgery through the years -- and those who envied her supposed prowess would make mental notes of her specialization.

You had all arrived at different times from each other, although some sooner than others. But when the final individual of the fifty had arrived, the urging switched. No longer was there some vague and grating imposition, now there were directions again. Once more the mind would wander and the feet would meander towards some destination.

It was outside, in the grainlands.

The emotion switched. Another branch of lightning made its way from the skies to the ground. And finally, it began to rain.

Welcome to The Mortal Coil. Please write a small introductory bit concerning where your character was before the Summons were put into effect proper. Once everyone has arrived in the grainlands, or has stated that they've begun their journey towards the new meeting place, the story can commence.

I just wanted to let you know what I needed from you. This is more the cutscene at the beginning than the prologue -- that'll happen once you meet The Shade.

Thank you for waiting, and I hope you will have as much fun as I imagine I will!In addition, I've got no idea how many of this thread currently exist thanks to the various 503 errors that have come up to put a wrinkle in my posting. So... that's a nuisance, because I really don't want to get cited by the administration for something that was entirely not intentional. :smallfrown:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-02, 02:35 AM
Galizur floated eagerly in the air above the grassland, looking down upon all that were gathering. Hard to see normally when he manifested, now he was so far in the air it was unlikely the few who looked to the sky would even have a chance of seeing him. His eyes scanned the crowd, waiting for the one.

He had known he would be called, even before he had felt it while he had been hiding in the the sewers. He had sensed something big was on the horizon as soon as he had died the first time. His connection to death stronger than the living, he could feel it coming. So that feeling, that direction, was not unwelcome. He had been one of the first to arrive, not resisting the calling but immediately embracing it instead.

Now he silently watched as more and more gathered. He knew not what purpose he or they would serve other than it would be related to death, but it excited him to be part of it. To matter once more. But for that, someone would have to arrive and explain. He suspected that time was coming.

Cardea
2012-06-02, 07:24 AM
Sythini

She pulled her hood up close to her head. She was one of the last to arrive, and it had felt like a week had gone by already. The same routines between everyone. Same conversations. Same debates. Same flirtations and arguments and same everyone else after a little bit. But that wasn't true. She was getting restless. She thought this venture out into this small town would prove fruitful, but so far, nothing.

She had spent her time wandering the town, and trying not to go mad with the inexplicable loop she found herself in. There was nothing she found that was at all... helpful. A waste of her time, and yet she could not get away. Could not escape. Just that same... command. In her head.

But time passed soon enough, and a second urge came in. Something new. Hopefully the last. She tapped on her bag twice, before going to the grainlands. She looked around, viewing as everyone else moved there too.

If things went awry, at least she would have more research material.

Silver Night
2012-06-03, 01:05 AM
Dejas

Dejas leaned back against the tavern wall. He ran a speculative eye over the loud human practitioner and sipped his (none too good) wine. He didn't mind travel, but being lead around by the nose bothered him, and he gave an irritated snort as he tried and failed to prod his mind onto a path other than the new summons.

He'd arrived sooner than some, and later than others, but after even a little time in the small town he'd reached the conclusion that wherever he was being pulled now, it couldn't be duller than the backwater town - though admittedly he'd mostly only observed the inside of the tavern.

With an unconscious twitch of one rounded ear, he drained the vinegary red left in his glass, and headed for the door.

As he stepped out the door, he adjusted his eye-patch and brushed a bit of imaginary lint off of his immaculately tailored jacket. Resting a hand on one of his maces, the gnoll headed toward the grainlands and whatever was in store.

Strainseir
2012-06-03, 07:15 PM
Rain fell upon his face as a white weasel ran about Ash's feet. Here he was, standing in this grassland once more. It felt like this was a dream, a dream that he had had over and over again since childhood, and yet whenever he tried to recall such a dream his mind went blank. How long had be been standing in this field, when did he get here, and why were there so many others that looked as confused and lost as he did?

The last think Ash could remember it was sunny outside and he was Chatting up a girl he had liked since making his home in that town after leaving the Academy.... What was the name of that town. He was Celebrating a victorious quest spending a portion of his hard earned wealth on libations and how he was standing fully geared in a grass field urged to move forward yet he was not afraid. This felt right, so onward he went following others around him into the field following that inner yearning.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-04, 06:22 AM
Vardoth Silvertongue had been traveling for five days now. His horse had given out on the third day as he traveled through a bog, leaving him to carry on on foot. As he approached the town, he reflected on the strange urge that had brought him here. Most people would be confused or frightened by such an alien feeling, but Vardoth was not worried in the slightest. He knew why he was being drawn to this village. It was Destiny manifesting itself.

At last he arrived, reaching the base of the mountain, and stared down at the small village below. Already dozens of people were flocking there, arriving from all directions. This gave him pause. Why were all these others coming here? It was he, Vardoth, that was chosen by Destiny, and this pathetic rabble had no business in being called there along with him. Well, nothing to do but carry on. He’d come this far.

That was then. This is now.

Vardoth stands in the town square, looking around him at the other people who had been called. As the rain starts, he raises his head and lets it flow over his face, exulting in the chilly water. It washed the grime of travel from him, leaving him soaked but clean. Shaking his long black hair like a dog, he begins to wander through the village.

Liable to draw attention no matter where he goes, here is no exception. Standing over six feet tall and with a lithe, muscular frame, Vardoth’s countless scars and battered armor serve as a testament to the hard life he’s led. A double edge bastard sword hangs from his side, its sheath unadorned and made from simple leather. His dark grey eyes remain steadily directed in front of him, ignoring the other Called. They are of no importance when all is said and done, after all.

Well, Destiny had called him, but it didn’t seem very willing to give him directions from here. Better to find things out for himself then. But where to start? This question runs through his mind as he glares around at the sodden village. Perhaps he would just...look around a bit.

With this in mind, he sets off.

Lucretia
2012-06-04, 08:43 AM
Music for the encounter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0b844V_qW8)

A circle formed in the grainlands, rain pelting each corporeal Touched. Whether you intended to or not, you each joined the circle, except for Galizur who floated loftily above them all. Another crack of thunder broke through the silence, the low rumble bathing the circle of forty nine as surely as the droplets of water. At the height of the deluge, something peculiar happened.

Time stopped.

If anyone took a moment to observe, they'd note the million million drops of water suspended in time, motionless, unmovable. Crystals held aloft by nothing by a lack of immediate momentum, unable to reflect light for the lack of any light to reflect. Jewels and gems from the heavens, paused briefly in their voyage from the heavenly mines to the hungry earthen consumers. There was something precious about the rain, especially for a continent based on agriculture.

Something else someone might observe was that the rain had stopped, but none of the Touched had. All forty nine of the viewable individuals were still capable of movement, in a sense. Anyone with an understanding of basic temporal magic knew that it was individual only, that the spell actually increased the "localized time stream" for a tiny bubble and that what could seem like twenty seconds of frozen time was simply hyperincreased awareness and response time. Not here, it would seem.

But the final (or first, depending on the individual) thing the Touched might note would be how utterly constricting it was to be literally covered in rain, only for that rain to become entirely immobile. A crystal cage, beautiful but painful, drawing blood from those who struggled against it too forcefully. Even the familiars and small folk found themselves hedged in by the rain. No one, it would seem, had brought an umbrella.

The circle of Touched was trapped, both in time and in place. It was then that the gracious host decided to appear.

Beside Galizur, high above the circle, a voice spoke in dual-harmonics, a simultaneous female-male amalgam. "IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I REALIZED ONE OF THE TOUCHED HAD ALREADY DIED," it began with, out of sight from Galizur. Even if the Ghost decided to turn, to try and locate it, the Voice would remain out of sight. "BUT I TOOK IT WITH APLOMB, YOU SEE. DECIDED IT WAS IN MY BEST INTEREST TO SIMPLY, WHAT'S THE PHRASE, 'WATCH THE CATTLE RUN TO THE ROOST'? NO? HUH. NO MATTER. YOU REALLY OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED THOUGH, HELLSTORM, FLOATING SO FAR ABOVE YOUR BRETHREN. HERE... LET ME HELP YOU."

A terrible sensation arose throughout Galizur's body. A... ripping sensation. Quite painful, reminiscent of death itself, and after this strange feeling there was the tossing. Through countless beads of water Galizur was thrown, landing with a thud on the ground in a convenient puddle that had already been present in the circle. Almost, it could be said, by design. Now all fifty of the Touched were present. Ten from each year that the Blood Comets raged across the sky. A variety of races, without any particular pattern.

"WELCOME," the strange voice said, audible to each of the participants now. "I suppose you've each wondered a bit about what you are, hmm?" In the center of the circle, shadows began to coalesce. Each little raindrop cast an almost imperceptible shadow, of course, as all things do. They were pulled from beneath each little crystal, gathered in a centralized location and, in the time that seemed to go on forever, took shape. It felt like an eternity passed as the shadows formed, and yet it had been only seconds in the halted time bubble. A being of flowing shadow, with some barely perceivable shape. It was all very blurry, and understandably so. Shadows weren't used to being given shape.

With a snap of its fingers, if such motions could be attributed to the strange creature before them, a harsh looking cloak fell upon it, covering it and giving it better definition. "THAT'S BETTER. GOOD. NOW I CAN SEE YOU... AND YOU, IN TURN, CAN SEE ME. GOOD. WELCOME!" The cloak's arms flew up, and shadowy, ragged-edged fingers were outstretched, as though the creature intended to give someone a hug. "AREN'T YOU JUST A TREAT, MY DARLING FRIENDS? FIFTY INDIVIDUALS, BROUGHT TO ME BY NOTHING MORE THAN AN URGING OF THE BLOOD. FIFTY REMARKABLE INDIVIDUALS. I CONSIDER YOU MORE AS MY CHILDREN THAN ANY SORT OF SLAVE, OF COURSE. IT WOULD BE RUDE TO THINK OF ANY SENTIENT CREATURE AS SOME SORT OF LESSER BEING, BEFORE THE MIGHT OF A GOD. BUT I WILL POINT OUT THAT YOU WERE DRAWN TO THIS PLACE BY SOMETHING MORE THAN JUST... CURIOSITY.

"IT WAS POWER, OF COURSE. THAT'S WHAT BRINGS EVERYONE ON THIS PLANE ANYWHERE. POWER. THE POWER TO STOP TIME, THE POWER TO BRING CORPOREAL WHAT WAS INCORPOREAL, THE POWER TO CALL YOU ALL. SUMMON YOU ALL. IT WAS THAT POWER THAT BROUGHT YOU TO ME, AND IT IS BY THAT POWER THAT YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT SOME MERE INDIVIDUAL, SOME PATHETIC LITTLE MORTAL, SOME FLESHDOLL BROUGHT HERE BY BIOLOGICAL IMPERATIVES BY YOUR INSUFFERABLY MORTAL PARENTS.

"BUT WE HAVE RUN INTO WHAT I'LL CALL AN IMPASSE, YOU UNDERSTAND." The robe looked around the circle, the hood covered in smokelike shadow. The black stuff oozed out, flickered out into the open, tendrils of smoky darkness testing the edges of the light. As if the shadow beneath was pushing out the shadow above, and overflowing from the hood. "THERE EXIST FIFTY OF YOU. THAT IS, SIMPLY PUT, FORTY...FIVE TOO MANY. I HAVE NEED OF A SMALLER GROUP. TOO MANY COOKS IN THE KITCHEN, I'M SURE YOU UNDERSTAND. SO HERE'S WHAT I BELIEVE NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

"SOME OF YOU NEED TO DIE. I'LL LEAVE IT UP TO THE WHOLE TO DETERMINE SOME SYSTEM BY WHICH YOU CAN SELECT WHO SHOULD LIVE AND WHO SHOULD DIE. LOTTERIES ARE PARTICULARLY AMUSING. FIGHTS TO THE DEATH ARE EXPEDIENT. DEMOCRACY IS PAINSTAKINGLY SLOW AND REQUIRES QUITE A FEW HUNDRED GENERATIONS BEFORE IT REALLY GETS TO THE SELECTIVE 'AND NOW YOU'VE GOT TO DIE' DECISIONS. BUT REGARDLESS, TO THOSE WHO WILL BE JUDGED, I WILL ALLOW YOU TO CHOOSE WHAT MANNER OF JUDGMENT YOU WISH."

With a tilt of its hood, the robed creature added, "AND LET IT RAIN ONCE MORE."

The rain began to fall once again, freeing the Touched from their crystalline prisons. An ogre looked to his left and right, eyeing his neighbors. The sorceress from the bar held up her hands. "I mean, there's not, like, an actual reason forty five need to die, right? I mean, we could totally just, like, leave the place, right? I mean like, it's not going to be the end of the world if we leave now, because, like, we haven't learned anything of any importance, so it's not like we're risks or anything...? Right?"

The various Touched's eyes moved left and right. Apparently the sorceress's words weren't having a particularly soothing effect upon the whole. The robed figure had disappeared from the center of the circle, nowhere to be seen. It would appear that the conditions of its challenge had to be met before the meeting could continue.

Cardea
2012-06-04, 09:34 AM
Sythini

"The metaphor it used was 'Too many cooks in the kitchen', Miss." Sythini speaks up, making her voice heard over the rain. She removes her hood, revealing short white hair, green eyes and a petite face. Her expression stays that of caution and concern. "I believe this would mean that some of us are simply thinking of leaving; walking away from this whole ordeal. But yes, he did say that some of us need to die. With that, I believe that many of us have no other course of action but to stay. And should words not prove effective, a fight would be the eventual outcome.

"But to the point, I don't believe all of us should die. Nay, I'd prefer the option to not have any blood spill this close to such a small, nice village, that has been so nice to the fifty of us who have gathered here, yes? Despite our behavior, good or ill, they have kept us fed and sheltered. It would be rude, if nothing else.

"But I propose this: If you leave, those of us who remain should not wish you ill will, and indeed, this would be a humble memory shared. If you stay, we should wait until those who wish to leave to do so, before we attempt to narrow it down. That we should wait until those who do not wish to fight leave, before such a terrible thing were to start.

"But know this: We are all somehow connected. When that... entity... spoke to the Ghost in our presence, he referred to us as Touched. We are all this: Touched. We share this link. We share this bond. I have no intention to sever it, especially our Abjurist friend here is right with her remark: if dark days are coming, and the world grows smaller. I have no intention to limit those I am bonded to, if this means that is one more place I have a chance to seek refuge in.

"But whether you leave or go, let us know who you are. Whether you choose to leave now and let the those of us who stay narrow ourselves out. Whether you choose to stay and earn a spot as one of our... Host's... five selections. Speak your name, so that we may know you as friend if we meet later on. Speak your name, so that, if worse comes to worse, your grave shall not go unmarked.

"I am Sythini Hinoam. I am an Artificer. Know my name so we may meet later, or know my name so my grave will be known as my own. And this is where I stand."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-04, 11:00 AM
Climbing to his knees, the horrifically disfigured ghost held a look of utter shock. His hand scraping through the mud, he stared at the dirt and rain for a moment.
What has that creature done? Do I live once more? No, but I am no longer in that shadowy realm of existence.
Standing up, his glowing eyes look around, taking in the panicked looks of those around him. His horrifically disfigured body enough that most look away. Aware of their gaze, Galizur takes a long cloth on his shoulder and slings it across his lower face, covering the worst of his disfigurement.
"So some of us must die... I believe I am at a unfair advantage there because I already have. So I suggest you all follow Sythini Hinoam's advise and leave. Because those with enough mettle to stay should be prepared to die."
With that, a long blade of brilliant blue energy grows from his half of a hand and he takes a defensive stance that implies he is ready to attack.

Intimidate [roll0]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-04, 06:21 PM
Well well. When he had first been trapped by the rain, Vardoth had struggled against it with all his might. Was this merely a trap, designed to catch him unawares? But then the shadow had appeared, and Vardoth remained still as he listened to what it had to say.

So it seemed he had been correct. It was not merely some idle whim that drew him here, but the magic of this creature. What it was, he could not tell. Destiny made manifest? Some sorcerer of unprecedented power? A remnant of lost divinity? It was impossible to tell, but what he did know was that it was powerful. No doubt it could annihilate them all if it wanted. But that wasn't going to happen. It needed them. It needed him.

And when it spoke of how it only needed five people to do its bidding, Vardoth grinned a savage grin. So the others needed to die. Of course, as the elf said, they could leave instead. But then they might interfere with the chosen five, and they would need to be watched. Better that everyone die.

Hmm. Powerful as he was, Vardoth could only assume that most of the others were of similar power. Trying to take them all on at once would simply be folly. So, time to...spread some discord.

"Hear me, fellow Touched!" That was the term the shadow had used. In Vardoth's mind, it seemed to indicate that they were all insane...or would be soon. Hopefully that was not the intended meaning. "I'm sure you're all curious as to what will happen to the five who are chosen. But in order to find out, you will have to cut your way through your brethren until you stand on a mound of bodies and blood. This is not some holiday, some adventure or interesting way of spending an afternoon. This is a life or death struggle, and if you value what time you have, then leave now. You should remain only if you believe you are powerful enough, ruthless enough, to slaughter your fellows and survive their assaults. I myself will be only one of those you will have to fight against in order to survive." He smirks, slowly drawing his sword from its sheath. It glows a faint blue in the fading light.

"I will give you all ten minutes to leave this square, never to return. Those who remain will have to fight, tooth and claw, for the honor of being chosen by this mad specter who will most likely kill you if you win. Is there really anyone here who trusts it?
So leave, or die. That is your choice."

I think this would be Intimidate? Maybe Bluff for the specter bit, but overall I think Intimidate would be better.
[roll0]

Silver Night
2012-06-04, 08:07 PM
Dejas

From what the shadow creature had said, Dejas suspected that those who left would not, in fact, be unharmed. Still, better to win with grace and guile than blood and bruises.

He whipped off his hat, flinging off rain-drops, and waved it in the air, "Listen! Listen, my friends. Surely a creature such as that can't intend anything good for us, after compelling us all here. We should flee! Flee from here, and banish the specter and its babble from our minds."

He continued, voice ringing with sincerity, "Those who wish to stay, for no reward that has been mentioned, should by all means stay. In my experience, it is likely the only reward on offer will be a shallow grave once the beasty has no need for us. Iron is cheaper than gold, my friends, this is true in all places Dejas has seen, and many places that is. The stab to the back always much quicker than the coin to the hand, yes? Particularly when it is coming from such sinister sorts as we have seen."

"Let us leave this accursedly damp place, and find a tavern some healthy distance away with a warm fire, good food, and comely company! The first round will be on me!"

If some left, then with luck they would be well on their way to that tavern before they noticed he had not joined them. Meanwhile, he looked around for cover and good places to hide or fight from while he waved everyone toward town a few more times with his hat, and then set it back on his head.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

and

Bluff: [roll1]

And Spot [roll2]

Strainseir
2012-06-04, 08:50 PM
About him danced frozen rain like shards of floating glass. The weasel hidden in his clothing writhed and turned nearly frantic. Whatever this was it was powerful magic indeed. When the Shade appeared, Ash knew instantly that this thing was far from benevolent, creatures of such power rarely are. When it gave the command to kill those around him till the fifty were five, Ash was appalled,"Just as those that came before refused to be the puppets of the god, I shall not be a Puppet to whatever that THING is."

Ash drew forth his own mighty blade as runes of power danced across it,"The first man or woman that begins to strike down those that stand here shall meet my blade. I will not tolerate such acts of blind evil!"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-04, 11:20 PM
About him danced frozen rain like shards of floating glass. The weasel hidden in his clothing writhed and turned nearly frantic. Whatever this was it was powerful magic indeed. When the Shade appeared, Ash knew instantly that this thing was far from benevolent, creatures of such power rarely are. When it gave the command to kill those around him till the fifty were five, Ash was appalled,"Just as those that came before refused to be the puppets of the god, I shall not be a Puppet to whatever that THING is."

Ash drew forth his own mighty blade as runes of power danced across it,"The first man or woman that begins to strike down those that stand here shall meet my blade. I will not tolerate such acts of blind evil!"

"I desire to be a puppet no more than you. But more than one of us have said it. You can leave if you want, no one is stopping you. What we are a part of is much bigger than anyone's life here! Can you not feel that? This is not manipulation. This is destiny. If you stay here, it is time to play your hand in it. Either turn away or deal with what Destiny requires. So if more than 5 remain, there will be blood. If you would like that to start with you and I, so be it. However, I question how much blood you will find in me"

Silver Night
2012-06-05, 12:45 AM
Dejas

Dejas held up his hands, empty, palms out, in the universal sign of one unarmed, "Look, look. Those who would leave, we can leave. Those who would stay - stay. Perhaps the lottery idea? I see no need for our shadowy harasser's expedient path. We are all reasonable..."

Dejas eyed the assembled for a moment, "Things, are we not? And once those with no interest leave, the rest of you have a better chance in such a lottery, is it not so?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 01:02 AM
"I have no intentions of preventing those who wish to leave from doing so."

A surge of blue energy gathers from all around Galizur's decayed body, then surges into the blade growing from his arm. It's glow strengthens significantly.

"But make your decisions now... and do not dawdle. There is no standing by the side line of your destiny. Turn away or deal with what it brings."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-05, 01:30 AM
Things seem to be going just as Vardoth intended them to. Everyone is arguing, the general emotion is fear and worry, and a fight looks likely to break out soon. Without even concentrating, he categorizes the main speakers in his head.

A flamboyant gnoll, seemingly uninterested in the whole venture. Adding fuel to the flames, and convincing those of weak will to flee. Good. Although it paid to be wary of gnolls, this one was doing exactly what Vardoth wants.

A strong looking warrior, unarmored. The resident do-gooder. Attacking the first person to initiate combat would only add fuel to the flames. Foolish, but perfect for the current situation.

A...ghost? The twisted incorporeal man was the only one who really gave Vardoth pause. Such an opponent would be hard to defeat, and its bloodthirsty nature indicated that it would be at the forefront of any fight. Vardoth was not eager to take on something that could walk through walls and avoid solid blows, so he hoped that the other fighters would pick it off before he had to. Regardless, it complicated matters slightly, especially since it seemed intelligent enough to figure out what was really going on. It was the only one besides himself who admitted that Destiny was at work here.

He moves over to the do-gooder swordsman, a stern look on his face. He speaks quietly, his words intended for Ash alone. "It is obvious that that ghost intends nothing but evil." He gestures at Galizur. "If you are truly interested in maintaining the right, you should neutralize him before he decides to kill an innocent." Just the right inflection, the right words to convince this warrior to start the bloodshed. It was Vardoth's true talent.

Bluff(I know it doesn't work on PCs, but it is a good indication of how convincing Vardoth is nonetheless): [roll0]

Silver Night
2012-06-05, 01:34 AM
"I always thought that those beyond life had patience, Dead Man. It is not so, I see."

The gnoll smiles a careful smile, broad and friendly, but not showing too many teeth, "There are those who in your position would decide that destiny had already had her way with them. I admire your optimism. No need for threats, those leaving are leaving, yes?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 02:10 AM
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

If there was one thing ghosts were, it would be observant. Galizur was no exception to this rule, and his eyes narrowed as he watched Vardoth move close and whisper to the one who was already hostile. Not sure of his motives, he decided he didn't care. The purpose was obvious, the result most likely unavoidable. So his eyes simply glared angrily, his impatience growing bigger. He was sick of waiting for destiny. He readied his blade for the one with the sword to attack, and waited.

Strainseir
2012-06-05, 02:11 AM
Ash looks down to the one that comes closer to him for a moment the honeyed words of this warrior did indeed deflect from the sinister words that first brought forth the outburst from Ash. Where that not enough the man came closer without sheathing his blade. As if on reaction his defenses came up and the unarmored Swordsman was wrapped in protective magics.
Casting Mage Armor Greater and Shield

To not provoke any further hostilities Ash does not raise his sword though he desires to,"You do indeed have a silver tongue, but I will not drink from your poison Chalice. Not but a few moments ago your gave an ultimatum upon when you were going to begin fighting and yet you expect me to conspire with you again someone else. I swear it on my ancestors if you needlessly spill one drop of another's blood this day I shall personally send you to the nine hells. I have no desire to stay here nor will I heed the commands of the Shade abomination should I stand here when there be only five of the so called touched as it called us. I stay here now simply to keep creatures like you from bring more suffering into an ailing world."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-05, 04:54 AM
Vardoth almost chuckles at the young swordsman. Such morals! It seemed his first opinion of Ash had been correct. Why, this man was almost a Paladin.

"Poisoned chalice? Send me to the Nine Hells? Sir, you wound me. My 'ultimatum' was merely a warning to the unprepared that fighting will most likely break out. I had only the best intentions in mind. If you do not wish to heed my warning, so be it. But any blood spilled by the ghost is on your hands if you do not stop him." Smiling with utter sincerity, Vardoth backs off. This was invigorating, weaving his words to confuse the rabble around him. He only wished there was a mind worthy of matching wits against. He waves cheerfully at Galizur, aiming to further infuriate the ghost. Thinking about it, he really didn't need to do anything more to egg them on. A fight would break out soon, with or without his help.

Now, the gnoll. He seemed in danger of cooling the situation down somewhat. Depending on what happened next, Vardoth might be forced to move against him. Well, only time will tell.

Silver Night
2012-06-05, 12:59 PM
Dejas

The gnoll seemed to be busy aiming a dashing smile at the sorceress from the bar. Then he straightened the long feather in his hat, and sauntered around the edges of the group, encouraging people and not-quite-people to leave.

Cardea
2012-06-05, 01:50 PM
Sythini

Sythini sighs as she adjusts the tightness of her bracers. She looks at the four speakers. Her eyes flare, a dark, vivid grey, as she speaks four words. "Protegat. Arcanum Illum Visus" Keeping the changed color, she speaks again. "Gnoll. Ghost. Swordsmen. Before you dissolve into arguments, perhaps we should wait until the decisions of the other forty-five present have been made. I won't doubt any of your skills, as you should not mine, but I do not trust any of us to last long if we continue to argue. Its been made clear that we five, at least, choose to stay. Attempts to intimidate one another will prove to be a fruitless endeavor."

Casting Shield and Arcane Sight. Spellcrafting the Gnoll, the man playing Devil's advocate, the apparent Zealot and the Ghost.

I'll make fourto be sure.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Edit: Almost a 20. Dang.

Silver Night
2012-06-05, 04:37 PM
Dejas

Dejas turned to the new speaker, "Why hello there."

He swept off his hat and bowed, I am Dejas. Me, I am not arguing. I am a gnoll of action! Still, words are often less expensive than swords, is it not so? And I prefer to save my coin and my blood for worthwhile endeavors."

He grinned and winked at the elf, "Perhaps once this is done, I might spend some it it - the coin, I hope, and not the blood - to buy you a drink and we might discuss it in more comfortable surroundings." He glanced up at the rain, "If I must stay out here much longer, the stains, they will never come out."

Most of the Gnoll's cloths would light up as being magical, including the hat and eyepatch. He wouldn't have anything that looked like an active spell going on him, though.

Also, posting from my phone, so forgive me any egregious errors in formatting etc.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-05, 05:11 PM
Vardoth's smile fades as the elf speaks. This one could be trouble. Not only was she being reasonable and influencing the others towards peace, she was a mage. Mages were trouble. The simple ability to change the laws of physics at their whim, and to confound those far stronger than themselves in combat, meant that Vardoth had always despised mages. Power gained from magic was not real power, and it would abandon you at the worst moment.

Automatically he flexed his fingers, feeling his own anti-magic powers rising to the surface. It gave him an edge against people like this, but he would still rather fight the ghost than this woman. At least the ghost used a sword.

Raising his voice, he addresses the mage. "You miss the point, my friend. Fighting is inevitable, and trying to keep the peace will simply delay it, not stop it. In this case, no one should be trusted, and those who do not flee will undoubtedly turn on one another." Or at least, so Vardoth hopes. Hmm, perhaps he could try to turn the mage and the ghost against each other. If his two most powerful adversaries were defeated, his job would become that much easier.

Vardoth's sword and armor give off magic, as does his cloak and a ring he wears. There are no active spells on him.
Also, he is readying an action to use Voracious Dispelling if anyone casts magic at him. I realize that probably wont happen anytime soon, but Vardoth is nothing if not paranoid.

Lucretia
2012-06-05, 05:48 PM
Music that I imagined for this scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw4rMtzqR38)Thank you for your patience, I'm sorry I had to resort to such crass measures. The prodigious reaction rate between players is awesome and what I was hoping for when I selected y'all, but it made my reaction harder to, y'know, 'time.' Sorry about that! I hope your anger towards me isn't too great.

The interaction between the five was impressive. Even as they argued and cajoled, attempted to manipulate or earnestly protect, the crowd reacted. In particular, an ogre and a two hobgoblins, the latter two already angry due to their precious hair having gotten soggy, had begun the sneaking process. But the whole area had gotten into an uproar, with the five primary speakers providing a lot of the intelligent dialogue, but by no means the only dialogue.

Some individuals had toyed with the idea of leaving, swayed by the words of the more peaceful of the Main Five, but no one had taken the motions to actually leave. A few had moved to leave with Dejas, but were instead stopped by others unswayed by the gnoll, pointing out the fact that Dejas himself didn't appear to be leaving so much as hitting on women.

Others had begun to say their names, to speak as the Artificer did, but they mumbled mostly and didn't have the strength of will or conviction to bring themselves into the open. Plotting, no doubt. The ghost's words had clearly scared them, and Vardoth's continued ministrations were causing emotions to run high. Still, no one was willing yet to flee. Or if they were, they were still gathering the courage to turn their backs on a group of bloodthirsty individuals such as these.

All around the circle, there were whispering and discussions. As Dejas maneuvered around the edge, he'd be shoved and hassled, the other Touched unwilling to allow someone they don't know near them, especially someone who'd attempted to trick them. Although a few 'alliances' had already formed during the waiting period before the meeting, for the most part it was something of an every-man-for-himself. The sorceress from the bar looked panicked for a few moments, listening to the Main Five, while contemplating her next move. Finally, when there appeared to be a lull in the conversation, she broke away from the circle and began to run towards the village.

With a crack, a red bolt of energy arced through the air from nowhere in specific and struck her, coursing through her body for a few seconds before dissipation. When she fell to the ground, a great wooden 'X' formed beneath her and was hauled up by an invisible force, displaying her broken body to the circle.

"I DO HATE TO SPOIL THE FUN, BUT RUNNING AWAY CERTAINLY DOESN'T COUNT AS DEATH IN MY BOOK. YOU'LL HAVE TO BE A BIT MORE DIRECT THAN THAT. EXCEPT FOR THE CRUSADER FELLOW, I RATHER LIKE HIM." The voice was chillingly calm, especially after so brutal an attack. "WELL, THAT'S ONE... FORTY FOUR TO GO."

Each of the Touched looked at the first fallen comrade. Still, some were able to react more swiftly, and it was then that Vardoth and Ash were attacked. An ogre brought his dagger into Vardoth's back while two hobgoblins attempted to assault Ashley. One of them found himself disarmed when Galizur telekinetically ripped his club from his hands, the Ghost uttering a few challenging words in the process. "If you have the courage to attack, at least have the backbone to attack a man to his face you worm..." the Undead growled.7 damage to Vardoth, 3 to Ashley.Both were solid hits, although unlikely to do more than simply discomfort the individuals harmed. With the ogre and one of the hobgoblin's attack, new fighting broke out around the circle. A bugbear brought his fist into the face of a nearby dwarf, an elf began to draw an arrow on someone standing on the opposite side of the circle, a strange looking green thing belched a toxic-looking cloud around its portion of the circle.

Chaos was breaking out. It probably was pleasing to Vardoth.

Silver Night
2012-06-06, 04:44 PM
Dejas

Dejas shook his head at the sorceress being struck down. It was a shame, she'd been a looker. He shrugged and turned his attention to the developing melee.

He looked for others who were more busy attacking than paying attention to what's around them, his light maces seemed to almost jump into his hands.

He's going to draw his light maces, and charge the nearest aggressor who has their back turned or is otherwise not in a good position to defend themselves (he will be trying to work his way counter-clockwise around the group, away from the green thing, since if the rain hasn't stained his duds already, the toxic cloud certainly would.

If he finds someone who is vulnerable to a sneak attack, he is going to charge and make a full attack:

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] Sneak attack
Attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] Sneak attack
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] Sneak attack
Attack: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] + [roll11] Sneak attack

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-06, 05:24 PM
And here we go. Vardoth had to grin as the sorceress was annihilated. She really had it coming with all her whining about running away. If only more people had tried that. Oh well, now a brawl seemed to be in order.

Turning to observe the strange green creature that seemed to be drawing the most attention, he let his guard slip for a moment. A sharp pain went through his side as the ogre slipped a dagger between his ribs. Vardoth snarls, backing up a bit. He quickly examines the wound. Just a scratch, nothing to worry about. Raising his sword into a defensive posture, he shakes his head at the ogre.

"If you're going to stab a man with his back turned, do take care to finish the job. You won't get a second chance." His eyes narrow for a moment as he examines the ogre, noting the placement of its armor, the way its muscles move, the rhythm of its defense. Almost too fast to see, he slashes his sword towards its stomach, perfectly timed and executed to break through its defense and inflict the maximum possible damage.
Ruby Nightmare Blade.
Concentration Check, DC=Ogre's AC: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
If both rolls succeed, Vardoth deals [roll2] damage to the ogre. If the Concentration check fails, the attack roll is reduced by 2 and it deals [roll3] damage.
If the attack roll fails but the concentration check succeeds, he will use Lightning Recovery to reroll the attack with a +2 bonus: [roll4]
Edit: I'm guessing a 34 hits, so Lightning Recovery is not expended. It's also a chance for critting, which I'll roll in the OOC thread.

Cardea
2012-06-06, 05:31 PM
Sythini

Sythini smirked, as she weaved the magic in her mind. The four showed conviction and ability. And... a distinct lack of fear. Good. Those were her best bet. She looks to the Ghost and the Swordsman who played Devil's Advocate. Walking towards the Swordsman, she points at him, shouting, "You! Swordsman with the serpent's tongue! Serpens Scriptor Lentus! Cut another one down!"

Casting Snake's Swiftness on Vardoth.

Edit: What this means is, take another Standard Action.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-06, 06:29 PM
Amidst the chaos, true clarity forms inside Galizur's mind.
If the weak truly must die, and five of us are to truly be a part of destiny, then we must have the strongest. We who are strongest must not tear each other apart, or else we weaken destiny itself. Perhaps a simpler task would have just been to aimlessly kill one another. But that will not do.

Galizur waits slightly and looks around, sorting out the weak in his mind. For a moment he glances at the elf between him and Dejas, but decides the elf has not yet attacked him and seems competent enough to leave for now. After all, he could be one of the other four. Finally his mind settles on the hobgoblins. They were cowards, and the human may see things differently, but his mettle was at least worthy. He would be a worthy ally, even if they disagreed on what must be done. His arm turned sideways and his energy blade began crackling with a electrical current.

Charging forward across the ground, he half flew through the air as he leaped several feet into the air and brought his glowing blade into one of the hobgoblins attacking Ashley.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] Electrical damage to the hobgoblin on the left.

"You may want to protect these beings, but it appears they do not want your protection, nor do they share your code of honor."

Strainseir
2012-06-06, 06:42 PM
With a quick shout and a twist of his blade Ash turned his sword into what the ghost once was. The blade turned ghostly and passed through the air and any armor that it might have hit only touching flesh. With great power in his swing, Ash attempted to land 2 blows again the hobgoblin that hit him,"I would have protected you lot!"

[roll0] power attack 7 vs touch
[roll1] power attack 7 vs touch

[roll2]
[roll3]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-06, 07:04 PM
As Sythini's spell envelopes him, Vardoth feels a surge of speed and power flow through his muscles. Grinning wolfishly, he slashes at the ogre again before it has even recovered from his first strike. He takes a moment to nods to the elf in thanks before steeling himself against the ogre's next attack.
Attack: [roll0] power attack 3
Damage: [roll1]

Lucretia
2012-06-06, 07:24 PM
Appropriate battle music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxMB-zDCck)

Blood flew through the air. All around the circle, fights were breaking out. Things gasped for air around the Green Thing while they struck it, trying to take down whatever it was that was releasing the toxic gases. Meanwhile, the ogre had taken two slashes, one to the stomach and another to the arm, although the second seemed to bounce off the armor. Galizur had punctured one of the hobgoblins and zapped the other, while Ash took two savage stabs into the armed one. With a running jump, Dejas had taken his maces to a dwarf with his back to the gnoll -- a mistake, judging by the grey matter sprayed across the ground.

The ogre looked at the blood coming from its stomach, looked up at Vardoth and growled. A strange looking weapon (http://www.althanas.com/world/attachment.php?attachmentid=2169&d=1231572972) formed in its hands, and it took two savage attacks at Vardoth!12 damage, bypasses DR.

The disarmed hobgoblin makes an unarmed attack at Galizur, but he's so inept he manages to not even remotely connect. The armed and recently stabbed hobgoblin takes a swing at Galizur, surprised when he actually manages to land a blow.3 damage.

A dwarf looks to the gnoll who'd just reduced his pal to a smear and charges, battleaxe held high. He swings down as it to try and execute, managing to land a glancing blow on the gnoll.9 damage.

An arrow careens out of the air and strikes Synthini!5 damage.

Other Touched fight one another, milling about. Arrows fly into others, axes slash and magic arcs. Eight dead, so far. Thirty six to go.

Synthini can make a spellcraft check to determine that the ogre is also a warlock.

Galizur can make an attack of opportunity on the unarmed hobgoblin.

Cardea
2012-06-06, 07:34 PM
Sythini

Sythini looks at the arrow that struck her. Looking in the direction it came from, she holds out her hand at the first archer she sees, weaves of energy forming around her hand. It takes shape into a small orb of concentrated cold, firing off. "Ius Orbis Frigus."

Casting Empowered Lesser Orb of Cold.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] x 1.5 = 25 points of Cold Damage to the first Archer I can see.

Edit: Nevermind. Natural 1. Awesome.

Silver Night
2012-06-06, 07:34 PM
Dejas

Dejas grins, showing plenty of teeth this time, and attacks the dwarf.

Sneak attack damage included in case the dwarf happens to be flanked, given we are in a general melee and Dejas intentionally chose someone who was involved in a fight to begin with (the dwarf's deceased friend).

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
Attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] + [roll5]
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] + [roll8]
Attack: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] + [roll11]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-06, 08:12 PM
Vardoth's grin widens as the ogre slashes him with its strange glaive. "It seems I've underestimated you. I love it when that happens." He stabs up at its neck, his blade flickering back and forth so fast it becomes a blur. His strike relies not on strength or power, but on pure precision and concentrated hate, intended to snuff the creature's life out once and for all. Regardless of if it hits or not, he leaps backward, tumbling and whirling through the air to avoid any attack. He lands in a crouching defensive posture, ready to defend himself against any attack.

It had been a while since Vardoth had been in a good fight, and he was relishing it. Although he had not originally intended to get in the thick of the fray, he was having too much fun to back down. In combat, more than anywhere else, Vardoth feels alive.

Insightful Strike: [roll0]
Tumble Check to avoid the ogre's AoO: [roll2]
He moves 20 feet away from it, activating Absolute Steel Stance to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC until the start of his next turn, making it 23.
Edit: I can't believe I rolled a 1 on damage. That's just pitiful.:smallsigh:
Edit2: And on the tumble check!? At least skills don't use auto failure.

Strainseir
2012-06-06, 08:38 PM
Ash twisted his dark blade calling upon the magic speed that had grown in him casting haste on himself as quick as if it was nearly a reaction. He then strikes once more at the Hobgoblins around him.

[roll0] power attack 7 vs touch
[roll1] power attack 7 vs touch
[roll2] power attack 7 vs touch

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-06, 09:00 PM
AoO [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Realizing that once more he has a partner in combat, Galizur slides sideways slighty trying to set up a flank between himself and Ash on the hobgoblins. Once done, he gathers up the energy of his blade and lashes out against the two hobgoblins.

Galizur takes a 5 ft step, and uses a swift action to activate his psychic strike.
Attack 1[roll2]
Attack 2 [roll3]

Damage roll 1 (For the first successful hit)[roll4]
Damage roll 2[roll5]

In addition, if his first hit succeeds, he deals [roll6] Electrical damage.

Lucretia
2012-06-07, 10:00 PM
Combat was escalating quickly. The low bellow of the green thing rumbled the ground, causing a few to dirty their pants and grow wide-eyed. Still, none of the Main Five were stricken with anything resembling fear.

Sythini's orb of cold veered wildly off-course, in an almost comedic fashion. It was slightly embarrassing for the elf.

Dejas' wild assault of the dwarf left the fellow standing but heavily bloodied. It certainly didn't look like he'd manage another salvo like that!

Vardoth's assault on the ogre was unsuccessful in killing him, and the little warlock was able to escape through a complex tumble that looked more like a Cat's Mistake than a Cat's Grace. Still, he was twenty feet from the ogre -- and about ten feet from any other individual. It was worth noting Vardoth was near the green cloud.

Ash was able to disembowel the hobgoblin who had attacked him. The greasy-haired creature looked at Ashley with terror and unbridled anger before slumping to the ground, dead.

It's friend would have done something about that if he hadn't been swiftly dispatched by the ghostly Galizur.

Attacks veered about -- the ogre shot a lance of eldritch energy at Vardoth but missed, another arrow approached Sythini but failed to find purchase against her, no one was willing to go near the gore-spattered Ashley or the horrifying Galizur. Only Dejas received a blow from the dwarf, who savagely hacked at the gnoll twice, once able to deal a glancing blow!10 damage from the dwarf!

There had to be at least fifteen dead in total. Twenty nine left.

Silver Night
2012-06-07, 10:09 PM
"You should have run when you had the chance. I feel bad picking on someone shorter than me."

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + Sneak Attack [roll2]
Attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] + Sneak Attack [roll5]
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] + Sneak Attack [roll8]
Attack: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] + Sneak Attack [roll11]

Cardea
2012-06-07, 10:34 PM
Sythini

Sythini sighs as her orb goes flying into the distance. Changing tactics, her mind fills with... darker, knowledge. Pointing her finger out, hoping to strike whoever it is that keeps trying to shoot her, she whispers to herself: "Radius Remissio."

Trying to cast against whoever the hell keeps trying to shoot me.

Casting Ray of Enfeeblement.

SUCK THIS STRENGTH PENALTY I HOPE YOU GET HIT IN YOUR STUPID FACE IN MELEE: [roll1]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-07, 11:37 PM
Pulling his glowing blade from the hobgoblin's body, Galizur turned his green glowing eyes towards his possible new ally. " So what now? Shall we battle it out? Or does this make us allies, and we now bring the fight together to the other threats? or would you prefer we simply go in different directions? Surely you realize the blood is unavoidable now. I told you it was destiny."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-08, 12:15 AM
As the ogre sends a bolt of magic at him, Vardoth easily dodges to the side, feeling the heat from it as it flies past him. He ignores the attacking warlock, cartwheeling backwards and to the left, his arcane powers making him supernaturally agile. He lands around fifteen feet to the left of where he started, spinning back to face the ogre. An insolent smirk crosses his face as it growls at him.

"Well, I've got to admit you show talent. In ten years or so you might actually have grown powerful enough to make a name for yourself. If nothing else, the incongruity of an ogre trying to use its mind is a novelty."
He bows mockingly, feeling his hands begin to go numb as he draws on his inner power. "But you tried to attack me, and so you will be forgotten. Just another nameless cretin slaughtered on my way to Kingship."

Raising his left hand, he aims at the ogre's chest. The blood in his arm runs cold, and his skin seems to shine an icy blue, as the power floods though him. The power of hatred, of pure vindictiveness. It erupts from his skin in a crackling ray of arcane power, hurtling through the air towards the ogre with a sound like breaking glass. His skin convulses, and a painful tingling runs through his arm, but his face is alight with victory as he prepares to fire again.

Eldritch Blast: [roll0] Touch.
Tumble Check, just in case: [roll2]
Absolute Steel Stance is activated, AC is 23.

Strainseir
2012-06-08, 12:32 AM
"I had hoped to avoid bloodshed, but it would seem that these people were either too bloodthirsty or to frightened to see reason. I have no desire to fight someone that does not want to fight me. MY only desire now is to find a way to destroy the one the caused me to shed all this blood unnecessarily. Care to help me destroy that green clod over there? It seems like it is going to kill us all regardless." Ash said before firing a scorching ray at the cloud curious to see if he could even harm it.

[roll0] Ranged touch 1
[roll1] Ranged touch 2

[roll2] Ranged touch 1 Damage
[roll3] Ranged touch 2 Damage

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-08, 05:24 PM
"You do realize, that by destroying whatever is causing that, there will be more survivors to try and kill us? Whatever the case, when the time comes we shall see if we can cut the strings on our current puppet-master"

Taking flight, Galizur charges into the toxic green cloud, striking at the creature with a mighty smite. Small charges of lightning scatter about as he moves.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] Electrical damage.

Lucretia
2012-06-09, 08:54 AM
The ogre stumbled as it was hit, dropping to one knee and panting. It lifted its hand and shot a similar beam back at Vardoth. It hit, although without the force of the glaive attack.3 damage, bypasses damage reduction.

Dejas managed to obliterate the dwarf before him, the attack he performed far exceeding the physical limits of the creature. Gore spattered the ground, blood soaking into the grainlands, after Dejas was through.

Sythini's ray of enfeeblement hit an archer who was likely the one trying to turn her into a pincushion, although the not-that-perceptive artificer couldn't be entirely certain. The din of battle was distracting.

Ash and Galizur both attack the great green creature, which has been busy smashing other touched. Neither attack appears to have any great impact on the creature, and it turns around to look at the ghost who had just hit it. With a bestial roar, it backhanded the corporeal ghost and pushed him back ten feet!

A pathetic arrow hit Sythini!1 damage. Strength drain makes this archer cry.

Another dwarf came at Dejas, wielding a spiked chain and swinging it around nonchalantly. He made a swift attack, first striking Dejas' feet and then hitting him soundly in the head!Prone, 5 damage.

A human with a shield and sword came at Ash, taking a wild swing and missing completely.

Twenty six remained alive.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-09, 09:44 AM
A gray-ash colored glow begins to surround Galizur and trail his path. Rolling backwards out of the creature's reach, Galizur takes to the air. Once there he gathers up a large amount of energy into his blade, and then throws it at the green creature. Afterwards, the blade appears back on his arm as if it had never left his side.

Tumble check [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Cardea
2012-06-09, 09:46 AM
Sythini

Smirking at the archer, Sythini pushes forward to the green creature, magic in hand. "Orbus Frigus."

Lesser Orb of Cold on the green creature.

Ranged Touch: [roll0]

Edit: No. Seriously. What the flying hell.

Silver Night
2012-06-09, 12:02 PM
Dejas speaks a single word, and then disappears. He reappears some distance away and gets to his feet, then takes a step back.

Use 3 charges on the Dimension Stride boots to teleport 40 feet (he'll try to interpose rough terrain and/or other combatants between himself and the dwarf (though wherever her lands would be out of the reach of any nearby combatant). He would probably have placed himself east and maybe a bit south of most of the group?

Then he'll stand (move equivalent) and take a 5 foot step further from the dwarf.

He really doesn't like being tripped :smallbiggrin:

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-09, 05:53 PM
Vardoth ignores the feeble attack, gathering his own power once more. He raises is eyebrow at the ogre.
"How heroic! Even though you know you're going to die, you still keep on fighting. If everyone was as brave, the world would be a better place." Oddly enough, Vardoth means it. But that certainly isn't going to stop him from killing the ogre. Shaking his head ruefully, he lets another crackling bolt of magic at it, his finger twitching with power. He idly wonders how this ogre came about its own arcane abilities, but dismisses such useless thoughts. This was battle, and there is no place for mercy in battle. Swiftly, he moves to the side, weaving to avoid the returning blast.

Eldritch Blast: [roll0] Touch
Absolute Steel Stance, as per usual. AC 23.

Strainseir
2012-06-10, 10:24 PM
Not Really knowing what to do other than knowing that this green thing has to die, Ash charges at the beast using his speed as he had trained to try to hit harder.

Charge power attack 3
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

Lucretia
2012-06-12, 03:44 PM
Vardoth's attack hits the ogre and penetrates through and through, leaving a fist-sized hole in the creature's sternum. The ogre has time only to blink twice before falling to the ground, blood spurting once from the wound whilst standing, and then bubbling over once the creature hits the ground.

Galizur's blade hits the creature but doesn't appear to find purchase in its strange-looking skin. The green creature continues to rage, striking those few living creatures in the toxic cloud. It cannot reach Galizur at the moment.

Sythini's terrible aim elicits a snicker from the Shade.

Dejas is struck in the back of the head with a shot that, if it'd've had more strength behind it, might have done some actual damage!That poor elf who got strength drained? He just dealt 1 damage. Poor, poor elf.In addition, the dwarf stopped twenty five feet away from the gnoll, smiling toothily at the beast!

Ash charges at the beast, taking a sideswipe from the human who watched his fellow speciesman fly headlong into the toxic cloud. As soon as it touches his flesh, Ash feels intense nausea and pain -- whatever this stuff was, it wasn't healthy. 1 Temporary Constitution Damage.His attack, however, manages to draw some green syrup from the creature's flesh!

Eighteen remained alive, and that was for a very specific definition of "alive."

Silver Night
2012-06-12, 11:57 PM
Dejas looks around and marks the archer for further attention, then snarls at the Dwarf and charges, teeth showing, ears flat.

Charge at the Dwarf:

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Attack: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-13, 01:55 AM
As soon as the ogre hits the ground, Vardoth is on the move. For a moment he considers attacking the green monster, but he decides against it. From the looks of things, it could hold out for a while, and he might as well let the others soften it up before finishing it.
Who to kill next, then? He scans the battlefield, examining those around him. Most of these people weren't even worth his time killing. Oh well, someone had to do it. It was more like putting them out of their misery, he supposed. Existence without greatness must be a terrible burden.

Vardoth gives his sword a twirl, then charges across the battlefield, slicing at the first person to cross his path, probably some errant human. He focuses his mind once more, preparing to assault the green beast with cunning and forethought.

Absolute Steel Stance, AC 23
Attack: [roll0] Power Attack 4
Using a swift action to regain my maneuvers.

Strainseir
2012-06-14, 10:19 PM
Once more Ash calls forth the mystical energies he commands with a flourish of his blade and a dark word. Ghostly Every surges into the sword turning it translucent before he slashes three times into this green beast with all his might,"By my Blood you shall perish monster!"

[roll0] verse touch
[roll1] verse touch
[roll2] verse touch

[roll3] x2
[roll4]
[roll5]

Strainseir
2012-06-14, 10:20 PM
rolling crit confirm verse touch
[roll0]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-14, 11:06 PM
Still hovering momentarily, Galizur hurls himself forward at the creature. Spinning in mid air he catches himself and comes down with a mighty cleave. Perhaps that will be enough to cut your dense skin you dense creature

Tumble Check [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] plus [roll3] electrical damage
Edit: The blade damage was 21, not 17. I forgot I activated my radiance ability. So a total of 31 damage.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-14, 11:08 PM
o.o a possible crit, the shades power weakens
[roll0]

Cardea
2012-06-14, 11:15 PM
Sythini

Sythini sighs audibly, quickly becoming... annoyed, with the whole battle. She looks around, figuring out which corpse looks like it would serve the best. She raises her hand to her mouth, shouting out. "Who here believes themselves to have the greatest strength of arm?" Quietly, however, she mouths out the words: "Ius Ray lassitudinem".

Readying action to shoot the strongest/biggest person to respond with [Empowered] Ray of Enfeeblement. Hopefully it isn't someone in our 'group'.

SR: [roll1]
Strength Penalty: [roll2] x 1.5 = 13

Lucretia
2012-06-15, 06:03 PM
The battle has taken a dramatic turn.

Dejas charges at the dwarf, surprised to find that magic has turned the spiked chain into a long, narrow piece of metal that's stiff and ready for him. Despite being able to attack the wielder of the chain, Dejas takes a painful blow to the stomach. One of the dwarf's eyes is removed by Dejas' left mace, an impressive maneuver, but the fighter appears to still be alive.28 damage from the set chain :smalleek:

Vardoth moves swiftly across the field, taking a human by surprise and decapitating him. It's a clean blow, and the last look on the face is one of surprise.

Ash manages to hit the green creature twice, causing sticky, viscous fluid to spurt from the wound. However, the choking gas continues to cause painful tremors through Ash's body -- whatever this thing is, it's clearly very toxic.2 temporary constitution damage. Your fortitude save is definitely helping!

As the ghostly Galizur makes his attack, electricity arcs across the green creature's body, the sliced flesh acting as a conductor across those gaps. However, even as the masterful strike from the Ghost brings the green creature closer to death, its wounds appear to close!

Sythini's challenge is met by Dejas' attacker, who winks his one good eye at the artificer. She responds with an empowered ray which strikes him, blue-tinged blackness skittering across his muscles. The dwarf's remaining eye goes wide for a moment as he feels the weight of his equipment grow heavier.

There are only five remaining, the rest having fallen dead in the cloud of toxic gases. The green creature, two dwarfs, an elf and a human. The end of this battle royal grows closer.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-15, 07:54 PM
Vardoth pauses for a moment, looking around the battlefield. Almost everyone was dead. Well, that was fun. Time to end this.
It should be a simple matter of picking off the remaining foes, although the green creature could be a problem, as could the ghost. Hmm, that also presents a question. Which five should be allowed to live?

He would prefer the elvish wizard to survive. Not only did he not fancy taking on a spellcaster, but she had proven herself to be quite powerful, increasing his speed in his fight with the ogre. A useful ally to have.
The righteous man could be a pain. Not only was he resistant to the whole idea of killing, but he would constantly nag Vardoth with his morals. Better for all if he were to die.
The ghost...Well, the ghost would probably survive, and there isn't much Vardoth could do about it. Almost completely resistant to all attacks, and vicious in melee with its lightning blade. And, as far as Vardoth could see, a complete psychopath. Not someone he fancied having on his team, but it would certainly be better than trying to fight it.

Most of the others were unworthy of note. The chain wielding dwarf seemed a superior combatant, but he seemed to be on his last legs what with the spell that had hit him. The swift-talking gnoll...Vardoth had no opinion on the swift-talking gnoll. That left the green beast. Obviously very powerful, and for the life of him Vardoth couldn't tell exactly what it was. It could be useful as an ally, but it didn't exactly seem willing to do so. And it was...healing? Oh, wonderful. If it wasn't taken out with speed, it would simply regenerate its wounds and be unbeatable. Better to finish it now.

Steeling himself against the cloud, Vardoth cartwheels towards the monster, his sword flashing in a wide arc. He attacked it from behind, forcing it to concentrate on multiple attackers at once. With the extra momentum from his charge, he slams his blade into it, trying to pierce deeply and puncture some internal organ.

Tumble check: [roll0]
I'm charging, and Absolute Steel Stance is activated. AC remains 21.
Flanking and Charging for a +4 bonus to attack.
Ruby Nightmare Blade:
Concentration vs. AC: [roll1]
Attack: [roll2] Power Attack 5
If concentration fails, attack is reduced by 2 and damage is [roll3]
If concentration succeeds, extra damage is [roll4]
If concentration succeeds, but the attack misses, I will use Lightning Recovery to reroll at +2: [roll5]
Edit: So if 20 hits it, 44 damage. If 25 hits it, only 20 damage. If neither hit it, no damage. I'm not using up Lightning Recovery since I would only do that if the concentration were higher than my attack roll.

Cardea
2012-06-15, 10:48 PM
Sythini

So many... pickings. Reuse. Reuse. So many fresh corpses, some could prove good, some would prove... worthless. But... so many. And their items. Whether or consequence or simply inconsequential, they filled Sythini's thoughts as she spoke the same words of power, pointing her hand towards the green... thing. It was harming the young zealot a bit much, and there would need to be someone left to outwardly oppose, or at least step on the toes of, the devil's advocate. "Ius Orbis Frigus."

[Empowered] Orb of Cold, Lesser
Damage: [roll1] x 1.5 = 28 Frost Damage.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-16, 02:18 AM
A surprised look entered Galizur's eyes as he followed Vardoth joining the fray. The manipulative coward has joined us. He must believe we have this creature near death Contemplating for a moment, he tries to decide if he should changing tactics. But Galizur decides that with three combatants it should be easy to overwhelm this beast.

Side stepping around the creature, he makes sure to catch it's flank, and begins hacking away. His blade crackling with electrical energy, goes for what he hopes will be the finishing blows

5 ft step to gain flanking, that seems very possible with two combatants aiding me. Swift action to charge the blade as I have been doing every round.

Attack 1[roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] electrical

Attack 2 [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Edit: Wow, I really hope a 28 hits.
45 damage from attack 1, 22 damage from attack number 2

Strainseir
2012-06-17, 12:11 PM
To not waist his magic, Ash strikes with all the speed he can before stepping back five feet trying to get out of the choking gass.

[roll0] power attack 7 flanked vs touch
[roll1] power attack 7 flanked vs touch
[roll2] power attack 7 flanked vs touch

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Then 5 foot step back

Silver Night
2012-06-18, 02:18 AM
Dejas spits out a bit of blood and attacks the Dwarf!

Lucretia
2012-06-18, 04:07 PM
Vardoth's attack hit home, cutting large gouges out of the fiend! However, it seems to do less damage than he'd expect such an assault to do, and in addition, the terrible toxic cloud has an effect on the proud fellow! 3 temporary constitution damage :smalleek:

The orb of cold shot true from Sythini's outstretched fingers, colliding with the horrid thing. A large patch of its matted hair went rigid when exposed to the low temperature.

Although his attacks hit home, with electricity coursing through the creature's wounds and hair and the blade opening new fjords in the creature's rough skin, Galizur noted some of the previous wounds closing up, the arcing electricity fizzling out.

Only one of Ash's barrage hits, and his movement out of the cloud fails -- it's deeper than five feet!1 temporary constitution damage, yay for fortitude saves!

With a snarl, the gnoll shreds through muscle and sinew, breaking bones and pulping internal organs. The only thing left of the dwarf? A surprised look, and very little else.

The cloud seems to dissipate as the remaining human, a man with a long brown beard and a bloody hole where his left eye was before the skirmish, casts a spell.Those with spellcraft who can beat the pitifully low DC17 know it's Gust of Wind.The archer, that poor elf, takes aim at Dejas and hits him!One damage. That strength drain is tough.Finally, the green beast turns and looks at the mage who dispersed the cloud, trampling through Ash and towards the human!I believe Vardoth, Galizur and Ash can make attacks of opportunity, although Ash's is at a -4. Also the mage can, but that doesn't really matter.

The elf, the human, the beast and the Five. The area is littered with corpses.

Silver Night
2012-06-18, 04:24 PM
Dejas looks at the elf, "You've got to be kidding." He spits out more blood and starts toward the elf, building to a run, "I might go out, elf, but I'll go out happy, cause I'm going to take that bow and-"

He interrupts himself with his attack:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-19, 11:41 AM
As the creature flees, Galizur slices at the creatures tendons trying to make it fall.
AoO
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Strainseir
2012-06-20, 04:27 AM
Ash grins as the thing rushes past him despite his magic still being active. He swipes hard with his ghostly blade

[roll0] power attack 7 verses touch ac

[roll1]

Strainseir
2012-06-20, 04:37 AM
Rolling proper damage

[roll0]

Cardea
2012-06-21, 03:02 AM
Sythini

Sythini's eyes flash black, as she points her hand at the creature. "Fluentibus."

Casting Enervation, directed at the beast.
Attack: [roll0]
Overcome SR: [roll1]
Negative Levels: [roll2]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-21, 07:38 PM
With no where else to go, Galizur decides that this beast must die any way, and charges after it. Once more hoping to take it down with a mighty cleave.

Tumble [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] plus [roll3] electrical damage

After he makes his attack, the gray aura around him begins to fade.

Lucretia
2012-06-23, 12:19 AM
Dejas' wails on the poor, poor elf. The damage done to his body is such that only a fine jelly and some equipment remain -- his bones were devastated to such a degree that they resonated under the perpetual blows and savage beatings from the gnoll, and that resonating resulted in jelly. Terrible, bloody jelly. With little bits of purple in there. Probably parts of his liver, once. Now? Jelly.

Galizur's immediate attack after the beast begins the trample doesn't manage to stop it, but the slices do manage to draw a few deep gashes. Green syrup leaks from the blows!

The Shade notes that Ash could have taken the opportunity to, instead of swinging, attempt to evade the trampling monster but instead decided to, in vain, swing at it. The beast was untouched by the human's attack and crushed him. While damaging, it was by no means a fatal blow.Don't forget that if you're being trampled, you can (instead of an AoO) take a reflex save in order to try and take half damage. You instead receive 15 bludgeoning damage.

Vardoth attempts to attack the shambling beast as it moves towards the mage, but fails to break through the tough hide!

Sythini's enervation ray strikes the grass, and causes a large patch to be very sad and depressed-looking.

The mage peers up with his one good eye before being crushed underneath the creature.

Galizur takes a stab at the creature as it moves away, once against spewing electricity on to the beast. The wounds across its body arc with electricity, the air between the ridges of hide ionizing as the electricity seared through the beast. Slowly, some of the wounds closed.

The stage is finally set. One wounded green creature, spewing syrup; five intelligent individuals. The last moments of the battle royal, which indeed hadn't been very long at all, were finally underway.

The best music for bosses. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZVIrEKhek)

Ash has one more attack before the round technically resets. I will make sure in the future to be very clear when someone's trampling someone else -- I thought 'through' would do it, but I see I was wrong. My apologies on the matter.

Both of Vardoth's attacks -- the AoO and regular -- missed. So we just need Ash to make his attack [which he doesn't need to do in any particular order] and then everyone else's move will be taken into account. :smallsmile:

He's pretty banged up as it is, so it won't take too long with the COMBINED POWAH OF THE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUCHED to take him down.No! Not the dreaded 503 LAME errors! Gosh darn it to heck and back again, one of these days, I tell ya, one of these days... POW! Straight to the moon!

Ahem. I'm waiting to be able to post this so that you all will be able to finish this combat and taste the delicious spoils of oodles of XP in addition to finally getting to hear the rest of Chapter One's story! Well, not really the rest of it. There's a bit more you've got to do, like learning about the heresies in character and deciding which you'd like to pursue in order to better fulfill your destinies regarding the death of the Lords. So there's definitely all that. But the Shade will finally give you all delicious snacks and reward you for being such good little flesh puppets. (Mind you, that's the Shade talking, not me, I think y'all're being spot on players and I really do thank you for your patience and your virtue in this endeavor)

Anyways, 503 be gone!If it isn't 503, it's 500. And those are worse, because they do this thing where they pretend like you're bein' all posty and whatnot, but they don't announce that you've posted, so you've got to do the dreaded double post in order to actually make your post show up, and that's just frowned upon because it's sort of like post-padding, which I don't think is all that important here on GiantITP but it can be a big issue elsewhere in the net, so I try to avoid it, but still.

Anyways.

We're now in three spoiler territory, which is just above the big GREY EXPANSE where Leonardo DiCaprio and Marion Cotillard made their kooky city.

Yes, an Inception reference. I'm sorry. But when you're three spoilers deep, what did you expect? I'm writing out commentary because I'm very tired and I'm waiting to post this before I go to bed, which means I'm getting sleepier and more acidic towards this post on account of it being the thing keeping me from that lovely fluffy things right over there that beckons to me. Is that too much information? Probably. I'll regret parts of this post, I'm sure, when I read over it again in a not-sleepy way.

But for the time being, this is giving me something to do without waking anyone up, since it's 1:15 AM and that's pretty early to be talking out loud to oneself. Or listening to loud music.

So you're stuck with my three spoiler commentary as I wait for the other tab I'm refreshing to finally show me the actual thread, thus indicating that I can post this without my post getting somehow shredded or wheated or whatever. Shredded wheat to post syndrome can be deadly. Know the signs, kids. Gotta nip that in the bud.

That trample damage is surprisingly high, I didn't realize how much trample could do. But I suppose that's the risk when you make hybrids. Now I know. And that's half the battle. The next part is definitely shredding the battle. In a paper sh---

Oh gosh it just went through, time to post. YAY!

Silver Night
2012-06-23, 01:00 AM
Dejas charges once some else has flanked the green beasty for him (Using twisted charge as required to make sure that the positioning works out) and attacks!

+2 from flanking and +2 from charge. Dejas feels like he better make this count with his current delicate state.

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] sneak
Attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] sneak
Attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] + [roll8] sneak
Attack: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] + [roll11] sneak

Strainseir
2012-06-23, 10:49 AM
Ash casts another use of one of his Favored spells Wraithstrike before charging the beast trying once more to stab at the thing that just ran through him.

[roll0] vs touch ac
[roll1] awesome damage

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-24, 10:17 AM
Determined to finish this wicked beast, Galizur set up a flank with the gnoll and hacked viciously at it. As he did so, it amused him to know that the five had been found simply by letting the others kill each other. This foul creature was all that was left...

Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] electrical damage.

Attack 1 [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Cardea
2012-06-24, 10:42 AM
Sythini

"I will be the first to say, this is not how I imagined my day," Sythini says, raising her hand again towards the creature. "Flentibus."

Enervation on the creature.

Overcoming SR: [roll1]
Negative Levels: [roll2]

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-24, 10:53 PM
Vardoth snarls as the beast runs away from him. He hacks at it, but his blade rebounds off its toughened hide, sending painful vibrations through his hands. Ok, well, this was fun and all, but now it was getting annoying. Time to end this fight.

As he stalks toward the green nemesis, he notices that there are only four others remaining besides him and it. So, these four were to acompany him in his travels. He was glad that the elven mage had survived, she would be useful, but he had to wince as he noticed his fellow swordsman was still standing. Wonderful, now he would constantly have to juggle those stupid 'moral' things. Killing the swordsman was a pleasing thought, but he couldn't go against Destiny. Presumably this was for the best, although Vardoth couldn't fathom how.

"I'll second that, although frankly, I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing," he calls to Sythini. Having found an opening in its defenses, Vardoth charges the beast, whirling through the air as he dodges under its arm to strike. His sword moves with perfect control, his willpower adding strength and speed to the strike. His intention is to pierce under the creatures arm and clip the heart, if it even has one.

I'm using...Strike of Perfect Clarity? I don't have my books with me, so I don't remember the name. The one where you use Concentration for damage, anyway.
Edit: No, not Strike of Perfect Clarity. I wish I could use that, but I'm using Insightful Strike instead.
Attack: [roll0] Charging bonus included. If I miss, Lightning Recovery rerolls with a +2 bonus: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Lucretia
2012-06-25, 08:13 PM
Under the combined assault of the Five, the green beast's skin split open, the gooey syrup spilling out in great gouts The withering blows from the Ghost, the Gnoll, the Warlock, the Protector and the Mage rained down on it as it got up from crushing the mage. Each additional strike in tandem brought more and more of the innards into outards. Under the loud and powerful blows, the constant damage, even with the electricity running across its body, the beast couldn't survive the fist of Destiny.

With a gurgle, it fell to the ground with an extraordinarily loud thump.

The Shade looked at the five remaining members and the carnage around, watching the blood seep into the ground, the dirt turning rust red in the aftermath.

Sorry, there's more but I'll let y'all talk and declare that you're looting and reanimating and stuffs. I'll give you exacts on experience, loot and the like when I'm more collected. Sorry about this, seriously. I really wanted to make sure y'all knew you took him down, but I'm having trouble writing. So... I'm sorry.

Cardea
2012-06-25, 08:33 PM
Sythini

Sythini looks over the remains, mentally sighing at such wasted potential. She adjusts her monocle, and begins walking amongst the bodies for items of power, as well as the strongest looking body around.

I know I can detect magic from some source, and I think I can identify the item from the Monocle. Computer is broken, so I don't know for sure.

Sythini is just looking for which ones she thinks look brawny.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-25, 08:39 PM
It's Okay Lucretia. Let me know when Galizur stops being Corporeal.

As the battle finishes, the ghostly creature leans close to those that could hear him (Especially Ash) and barely whispers "The puppet show is over, soon the puppet master will take a bow. The time to cut the strings may soon be at hand."

With that Galizur leans over the strange creature and holds out the half missing hand. With his other hand he uncovers his face and small particles of energy slowly trickle to his mouth. After a minute, he moves on to the next body, spending a minute doing the exact same thing. Body after body. With each body, he looks more and more nourished. From time to time, he looks skyward, waiting for the shade to make his move.

Silver Night
2012-06-25, 08:58 PM
Dejas wipes the muck off of his maces and hangs them back at his belt, "I could use a bit of mending, if any of you have talents that run that way. that was quite the fight." He spits out a bit of blood and starts looting bodies enthusiastically, "Gonna need to replace my whole outfit, too. These stains just aren't coming out."

Strainseir
2012-06-26, 08:36 AM
Ash sighed heavily as he dropped to a knee carefully cleaning off his blade on the grass. As he does a fairly large white weasel climbs out of Ashley's coat and paws at Ash's leg. Ash then slowly reached down ant pet the creature's head trying to block out the feelings creeping in from what he was just forced to be a part of. This was unnecessary slaughter. The Shade, as powerful as that thing seems to be, most likely knew from the moment it called the 'touched' who where the five were going to be. Killing is a part of life, but this was slaughter for the amusement of some powerful being.

Ash could not help but chuckle as he stood and looked to the Shade,"Fancy yourself a new god then? Are you amused now? Was the killing satisfying enough for you?"

Lucretia
2012-06-27, 02:48 PM
The Shade was no longer in the air. "DO YOU THINK YOU CAN CHALLENGE ME NOW, GHOST? OR YOU, WARRIOR. DO YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN ASSAULT ME AND WIN? OF COURSE NOT. BUT YOU BELIEVE, I SUPPOSE, THAT YOU COULD SUCCESSFULLY LEVERAGE YOURSELVES AGAINST ME, REFUSE TO PERFORM WHAT ACTIONS I NEED OF YOU, HMM? THAT WOULD NOT BE WISE." The words from the Shade were... peculiar. When you hear the words, every avenue is open to your mind. Every possibility flashed through your brain, revealing the truth of what the Shade was saying. In a moment of realization, you know that the words the Shade speaks is the truth -- there isn't room for doubt.

"NOW THAT YOU'VE PICKED OVER THE SPOILS OF YOUR FALLEN BRETHREN, I IMAGINE THERE ARE A FEW QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. LET'S HEAR THEM, SHALL WE?"

Still unable to just sit down and write exposition, to my chagrin. I've got to make some rolls for treasure, but experience wise everyone receives 3,500 points. :smallsmile: Now for the question-answer period. He's intentionally ignoring Ash's flippant remark, btw.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-27, 03:26 PM
Still feeding off the souls of the dead, the corporeal ghost shows no fear of the Shade's words. "Yes, you are so powerful, or so you want us to believe and do much to convince us of such. But I ask you this, what happens if we tried to kill you? Whatever purpose you have for us, you need us for that! Any one who was like us, you have just had us slaughter! It would be quite vexing for you, because you COULD NOT do anything against us!"

"But very well, let us play your games for now. Let us assume that we all have accepted destiny, even if you are the one who is writing it. Why have you brought us here? And further more, if you are as powerful and all knowing as you claim to be, why bring the others here? Why not only summon us five and spare the bloodbath?"

Lucretia
2012-06-27, 03:36 PM
"BECAUSE THERE WERE MORE OF YOU ON THIS PLANE THAN THERE NEEDED TO BE. HAVING YOU ALL KILL EACH OTHER OFF WAS MORE EFFICIENT, AND ALSO ALLOWED ME TO SEE WHICH OF YOU MIGHT BE WORTHWHILE. AS FOR IF YOU ATTACKED ME -- GO AHEAD. I WON'T MIND. HERE, I'LL EVEN APPEAR AGAIN." With that, the Shade appeared -- one 'copy' of it behind each of the Five. "YOU'RE EACH NECESSARY BECAUSE THE WORLD IS WEAK. THE LORDS SAW TO THAT. THEY TOOK AWAY THE PROTECTORS, AND THE GREATEST EVIL OF ALL IS ON ITS MERRY WAY. THE LORDS WILL OPPOSE YOU, AS THEY WILL OPPOSE ANY INDICATION THAT THE GREAT EVIL COMES. FOR THAT REASON, THEY MUST BE DEALT WITH. I HAVE ALREADY ATTEMPTED TO SPEAK TO THEM, TO HAVE THEM SEE REASON, BUT THEY ARE OBSTINATE IN THEIR REFUSAL. THEY WISH TO MAKE IT SEEM AS IF THEY ARE THE NEW GODS OF THIS WORLD, THAT THEY ARE THE TRUE POWERS. FORMIDABLE, THEY CERTAINLY ARE, BUT I'M AFRAID THEY'RE TOO BLIND BY THEIR POTENCY TO ACTIVELY DEFEND THE WORLD THEY CRIPPLED."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-27, 03:53 PM
Spinning around at the Shade's appearance, Galizur's spiritual weapon once more forms. His look becomes one of annoyance.
"So you wish us to kill the lords because they will not help you with this 'greater evil'? And then we shall fight it off? Is that what you propose? Not that I like the idea, but if this evil was indeed a greater threat, would it not be better to wait for the lords to ally with us when it appears and work together to defeat it?

Furthermore, if you are so powerful, why do you even need us? "With that he extends the tip of the blade very close to the shade, as if he is about to stab at him/her/it.

Lucretia
2012-06-27, 04:02 PM
"OH CERTAINLY," the Shade said with a shrug of its shadowy, rough-cloth clothed shoulders, "BUT IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO RAISE AN ARMY TO FIGHT OFF THE GREAT EVIL WHEN THE PEOPLE WHO CURRENTLY RUN THOSE ARMIES REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT EXISTS. BESIDES, YOU WERE SPAWNED FROM A HORRIFIC INCIDENT INVOLVING THE VAMPIRE LORD." These words only Galizur could hear -- for everyone else, this part of time never passed by.

"DO YOU THINK YOU'LL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO GET REVENGE, GALIZUR HELLSTORM, IF YOU PASS THIS CHANCE UP? THESE OTHER FOUR ARE ALLIES TO YOU, BROUGHT TOGETHER BY THE DIVINE BLOOD IN THEIR VEINS. YOU HAD IT, TOO, BEFORE YOU DIED. SOME OF IT LINGERS STILL IN YOUR ESSENCE, LETTING YOU FORM THOSE BLADES, ALLOWING YOU TO MATERIALIZE IN THIS PLANE. ARE YOU NOT SATISFIED WITH THE OPPORTUNITY TO FIGHT THOSE WHO WOULD OPPRESS YOU, WHO KILLED YOUR TRUE PARENTS AND PROFITED ENDLESSLY FROM IT? WHO USED THE POWER THEY SEIZED TO TORTURE YOU, PUNISH YOU, DAMN YOU TO THIS STRANGE EXISTENCE? I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION YOU'D ENJOY THE OPPORTUNITY TO KILL, TO AVENGE YOURSELF AND PUNISH THOSE WHO CAUSED THIS.

"AS FOR WHY I NEED YOU... EVERY GENERAL REQUIRES LIEUTENANTS. AND IT IS NOT MY PLACE TO GO AGAINST DESTINY. YOU ARE THE FIVE TO KILL THE LORDS. I MUST AID YOU TO DO THAT. TOGETHER, WE WILL FEND OFF THE GREAT EVIL AND RETURN THIS WORLD TO EQUILIBRIUM."

Other people can ask questions, but Galizur is currently in a private temporal bubble. The others cannot communicate with him, and will not be able to hear his responses. Everything from after the sentence "BUT IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO RAISE AN ARMY TO FIGHT OFF THE GREAT EVIL WHEN THE PEOPLE WHO CURRENTLY RUN THOSE ARMIES REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT EXISTS." cannot be heard by the other Touched, who are unaware of what's happening. They can still interact with their personal Shades, however.

Silver Night
2012-06-27, 04:24 PM
"Well, the fight was all good fun, so I'm not too worried about that. I would like to know why we're here. What would you have us do? And, importantly, will we be well paid to do it?"

Sneaky Weasel
2012-06-28, 12:43 AM
As the creature falls in a puddle of gore, Vardoth grin savagely, enjoying the adreneline rushing through him. Although there is no doubt in his mind that the creature is dead, he quickly stabs his sword into its brain one last time. Just to be sure.

Flicking the blood from his blade with a practiced flourish, he sheathes it, assuming the fighting is over for now. Glancing around at the other Touched, his smile grows wider. These four were powerful, and with the right manipulation, they would be the perfect allies. With their help, Vardoth Silvertongue would become King of the World. Destiny would make sure of that. Speaking of which...

Ignoring the bodies scattered about the circle, Vardoth moves over to the Shade that has appeared behind him. Questions? Yes, he has a few. Especially after hearing what the Shade tells them.

"I will not trouble you with querys about your motives or morality. But there are some things I need to know, if I am to fill the path that Destiny has apointed to me." He briefly wonders if this mysterious figure is actually Destiny made manifest, or simply another pawn in Its game. It doesn't really matter either way though, to his mind.
"So you want us to kill the Lords. I was already planning to, so no problems there. The question is, how? Powerful as we evidently are, the Lords have slain Gods. They've had many years to build up their defences, and frankly, going against them without a plan would simply be suicide, even for us. Of course, you could say something along the lines of 'you have to figure that out for yourself', but as you are obviously more knowledgeable about such things, I would recomend that you tell us everything you know." He pauses. Oh yes, there's one more thing he was wondering about.

"You say there's a 'Great Evil' coming. I can't help but be curious about what this Evil is, and what its motives are for destroying our world. Oh, and it would be nice to know how we can stop it. Mind telling us more?" His words fairly drip with sarcasm.

Strainseir
2012-06-28, 10:52 AM
Ash sighs heavily as his hast spell begins to fade. Already he missed the feeling of it coursing through him. Sheathing his blade, Ash picks up his weasel before listening to the Shade before images are forced through his mind. So not only was this monster powerful, but arrogant. Ash knew that even with the full group that once stood here listening in the frozen rain, there would be no chance to defeat this thing yet. After that truly self important speech about a greater evil that at the moment Ash was forced to believe he spoke,"So what is out first goal then? If this evil is constantly moving closer we have limited time. What I want to know is what is this evil?"

Lucretia
2012-07-02, 09:35 PM
Adequately creepy music for this encounter, from a great game from the past! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ysJQ88Rqg8) Also, let me once again apologize profusely for my tardiness. There's been a mess of things in real life that've prevented me from being able to focus on this thread in particular. Whenever you lose a lot of stuff, at least I know this is true for me, it demoralizes you. But I'm rebuilding, and I've still got it firmly in my head, so please bear with me. :smallsmile:

I've given you the experience, I believe. You find 3 swords that weren't utterly destroyed, the spiked chain the dwarf was using, his very, very gory boots, five vials full of purplish liquid, some painful looking gloves and a pendant. What they are precisely will have to be determined using identify -- which, luckily, someone in your party can do. :smallbiggrin: Also 1,000 gold pieces.

The Shade looked at Dejas and let out what could only be charitably called a chuckle. It was a gasping affair, very gargly. Not a pleasant sound, but there you have it. It pointed a shadowy, flickering tendril of a finger at the Gnoll. "THIS ONE IS CONCERNED ABOUT MONEY! HA HA HA. THE LORDS ARE NOT KNOWN TO BE PAUPERS, LITTLE DEJAS. YOU WILL FIND GOLD AND PLATINUM ENOUGH IN THEIR VAULTS TO PAVE THE ROADS OF THE WORLD. BUT YOU MUST EARN IT FIRST. AND FOR MORE IMMEDIATE MATTERS, PERHAPS YOU WILL FIND YOUR ALLIES TO BE USEFUL IN PROVIDING THE MATERIALS YOU REQUIRE. BUT I SUPPOSE THAT IS AN ISSUE YOU WILL NEED TO BRING TO THEIR ATTENTION."

Turning towards Vardoth, it dematerialized, forming behind the man and gripping him by the back of the neck. Lifting him off the ground, the Shade proceeded to fling the warlock into the dirt. "YOUR SARCASM, LITTLE PUPPET, IS NOT WELCOME HERE. YOU BELIEVE YOURSELF TO BE MY EQUAL? YOU WISH TO KNOW WHAT THE GREAT EVIL IS? YOU ARE BUT AN ANT TO THE GREAT COSMOS. YOU COULD NOT UNDERSTAND THE HORRORS THAT IT BRINGS, THE TERROR THAT IT WILL SOW. THE ACTS IT WILL PERFORM HAVE NO NAME IN YOUR LANGUAGE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN WROUGHT BEFORE. AS FOR RECOMMENDING ANYTHING TO ME..." It picked Vardoth back up, turning him around to grip him by the throat. Vardoth could see, beneath the shadows, nothingness. It was a pair of voids that made up what could be considered eyes.

"I HAVE SEEN THE BIRTH OF GODS, 'KING.' I WITNESSED THE SUNDERING OF THE WORLD, THE FORMATION OF ITS CONTINENTS. YOU PRESUME CORRECTLY THAT I'VE INFORMATION FOR YOU, THAT I'VE SOME WAY FOR YOU TO ACHIEVE YOUR TASK, BUT YOUR INABILITY TO GRASP YOUR POSITION IN THIS WORLD WILL BE YOUR UNDOING. DO NOT FEIGN EQUALITY OR POWER. IN TIME YOU WILL BE CAPABLE OF CHALLENGING ME. UNTIL THEN, BIDE YOUR TIME LIKE A GOOD LITTLE POLITICIAN." It dropped Vardoth on the ground, dark bruises forming around his throat.

"ASHLEY OF WINDHELM, YOU ASK AN ASTUTE QUESTION. YOU MUST FIRST GATHER THE ABILITY TO CHALLENGE THE LORDS. PERHAPS YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE HERESIES? AT LEAST YOU KNOW OF THE CARDINAL HERESIES, CERTAINLY. YOU MUST DECIDE WHICH YOU WILL PURSUE, WHICH YOU WILL THROW YOUR CLOUT BEHIND. FIND YOUR ALLIES IN THEIR ALLIES, USURP THE POWER BASIN ALREADY ESTABLISHED. THEN YOU WILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO FIGHT THE LORDS ON AT LEAST MORE EQUAL TERMS. THE BLOOD IN YOUR VEINS, THE BLOOD OF THE DEAD GODS, THAT IS HOW YOU WILL FIGHT THE LORDS." The Shade seemed to peer at Vardoth, as if to say I was going to get there eventually.

"A THOUSAND MEN COULD NOT KILL THE LORDS, NOT AS THEY ARE. EACH IS TOO POWERFUL ON THEIR OWN, PROTECTED BY THE ABILITIES THEY ABSCONDED WITH IN THEIR SLAYING OF THE PANTHEON. BUT YOU FIVE HAVE REMOVED THE DILUTION OF THE GODS' BLOOD IN YOU BY SLAYING THESE FORTY FIVE -- WELL, FORTY FOUR, BUT WE DON'T NEED TO MIND SAMANTHA, SHE WOULDN'T HAVE CAUSED YOU ANY TROUBLE. REGARDLESS, YOU'VE STRENGTHENED YOUR DIVINE BONDS AND WILL BE UNAFFECTED BY THE LORDS' POWERS. THIS IS A GOOD THING. IF IT WERE NOT THIS WAY, AS THE LITTLE KING MENTIONED, YOU WOULD BE INCAPABLE OF HARMING ANY OF THE RULERS OF THESE LANDS.

"YOUR IMMEDIATE GOAL IS SIMPLE. DECIDE WHICH HERESY YOU WISH TO JOIN. ONCE YOU DECIDE ON A SINGLE CARDINAL HERESY, YOU WILL MEET A HERETIC FROM THE NEARBY TOWN. HE WILL GUIDE YOU TO YOUR NEW HEADQUARTERS, AND IT IS THERE YOU WILL RECEIVE FURTHER INSTRUCTION. I BELIEVE YOU'LL FIND THE PALTRY TRINKETS THESE CORPSES HAVE TO BE PLENTY TO START YOUR JOURNEY WITH, BUT SO MUCH WAS DAMAGED. A PITY, REALLY. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE GLARX BEING ONE OF THE TOUCHED, BUT THERE WASN'T EVER REALLY A CHANCE. IT COULD BARELY UNDERSTAND COHERENT THOUGHTS, LET ALONE COMMON. AHHH, BUT IT HAD SUCH POTENTIAL. I MEAN, LOOK AT IT." The Shade looked down on the green thing, which was slowly expanding outwards and decaying.

"IMMUNE TO ELECTRICITY, OF COURSE. THE GLARX GROW STRONGER WHEN STRUCK WITH IT. I WAS SURPRISED NONE OF YOU WERE AWARE OF THAT FACT -- THE GHOST CONTINUED TO HEAL THE THING, SO TO SPEAK. PROLONGED THAT BATTLE." The Shade made a sniffing noise and then looked around. "SPEAKING OF THE GHOST, WHERE DID THAT THING RUN OFF TO...?"

As the Shade searched, a corpse nearby opened its eyes, a ghastly teal light flowing from those disturbingly unfocused orbs.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-02, 11:27 PM
From the edge of the corpses rose the body of one of the men who died in the poisoning gas. He staggered upwards, as the ghost inside his body adjusted to the new balance.
He cleared the man's throat, and forced air back into his lungs. An odd sensation, but he wished to speak.

"Really Shade? I think you jest that you 'lost track' of me."
Staggering some, the ghost seems off balance in this body at first and struggles for a moment before getting it together and approaching the group.

"So answer just a few more of my questions. Will you secretly remain with us or watching us at all times? Or shall you give us some way to contact you? And why pick just one heresy? If we truly need all the forces we can muster, why not manipulate as many as we can into serving our true intent? I'm sure the sneaky one there would love it."

Lucretia
2012-07-03, 12:08 AM
Samantha's corpse was crucified. You may wish to choose a different one, or else you'll be hanging around for a while.

"IF I WERE GOING TO BE SECRETLY WATCHING YOU, AND I TOLD YOU I WAS GOING TO BE, IT WOULD BE A TERRIBLE SECRET. AS FOR CONTACTING ME, I'LL BE IN TOUCH IF NEED BE -- AND I'LL DETERMINE THAT, NATURALLY. AS FOR THE HERESIES, THEY DON'T PLAY NICE WITH ONE ANOTHER. YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE ONE -- IF YOU INSIST ON QUESTIONING EVERY LITTLE THING THE EVIL WILL CONSUME THIS PLANE LONG BEFORE YOU UNIFY EVEN ONE CONTINENT."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-03, 12:34 AM
I was under the impression the body was no longer mysteriously floating crucified. If that was the case, it seemed like pulling oneself off wouldn't be hard since no rope was used. Disappointing since everyone else who actually was noteworthy died horribly violent. Either way, changed it to some random guy.

"Then get on with what you actually wish to tell us that aids us, and leave us. We are all apparently very busy for some time, and we have much to discuss among us. We don't need your omnipotence hovering around us belittling us and demeaning us with your snide comments."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-03, 05:09 AM
Gasping, Vardoth clambers to his feet. The Shade's sudden attack was both unexpected and brutal, possessing unearthly strength. A series of emotions run through Vardoth's mind: First, shock, and a bit of fear. Then rage, disbelief that this creature would presume to attack him. Last of all, a smug feeling of control. Perhaps unusual for someone that has just been choked and thrown around, but perfectly understandable given Vardoth's thought process.

For one, this thing would be painfully easy to manipulate. Its vanity was tremendous, and it would not tolerate any question to its authority. As long as he pretended to be a good little follower and didn't speak up against it, then it wouldn't give him much thought. Although it would be quite hard not to goad it about its touchy nature...

In addition, it had said that he, Vardoth, would one day be able to challenge it. Well, obviously. It was apparent at this point that this thing was not Destiny, but merely another pawn. And when he became King, no pawn would be able to stand against him. As soon as the Lords were dead, this Shade would be next. Of that, there was no question, just a matter of time.

But yes, as the Shade had said, bide your time. It thought him a pretender, someone to be cowed by words and threats. Let it continue to think so. He would not do anything to disabuse it of this notion.

Looking suitably chastened and repentant, Vardoth massages his throat carefully, not looking directly at the Shade. Acting in a shifty, non confrontational manner would do the trick, most likely.
"We need to join a heresy, you say? Of the Cardinals, the only one I have ever given credence to is the Regeneration Heresy, although I will join whichever one is most powerful regardless of their delusions. Power is what we need, not truth. Where will we find the heretics, so we can begin this quest?" His voice is carefully neutral, perhaps a little quavery to show his 'fear', and above all hoarse from his recent choking. The more vulnerable the Shade thinks him, the better.

Silver Night
2012-07-03, 06:06 PM
"A good lie needs a bit of the truth. Perhaps our connection - our being touched - might be a foot int eh door with the Regenerationists. They get my vote."

"Can anyone tell what the hells these are?" Dejas indicated the unidentified items. "I could use a little patching up, too."

Lucretia
2012-07-03, 06:24 PM
The Shade looked at the Ghost once the corpse had spoken, and then 'snapped' its shadowy fingers. From the hem of its cloak shadows began to spew out, slithering across the ground and behind blades of blood-soaked grass, moving towards the grain in the distance. After a moment, it was no more -- Vardoth's question would remain unanswered, it would seem.

Cardea
2012-07-03, 07:11 PM
Sythini

"I leave the Heresy decision to the rest of you. That isn't my direct concern right now. Dejas, was it? Give them to me. I can figure it out in a few moments. You, Shade." Sythini says, directly turning to her personal one. She continues to speak, pulling out a pair of dark colored gloves from her bag. Taking off her current pair, she puts them on, letting the power in them circulate through her memories, opening pathways that she never has, and normally would never have, known. "The riches may be all fine for any normal mortal, and defeating the evil may very well be a grand service for the children of today and the generations to come. But that isn't what concerns me. If we do indeed remove the Lords, the restrictions over life and death that they have implemented. They will be removed, correct?"

Artificer's Monocle let me study any object for one minute, and determine what it does/all of its abilities as if I had cast Identify.

Equipping Gloves of Object Reading. Will spend five minutes on the Gloves, Pendants and Boots.

Has Sythini been able to give a proper look at all the corpses? Any one look particularly strong or able?

Silver Night
2012-07-03, 08:23 PM
Dejas hands over the items, "Don't forget these potions, here. And if one happens to have healing properties, well. I did get stabbed in the belly by one of those little bastards."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-03, 09:05 PM
Sythini

"I leave the Heresy decision to the rest of you. That isn't my direct concern right now. Dejas, was it? Give them to me. I can figure it out in a few moments. You, Shade." Sythini says, directly turning to her personal one. She continues to speak, pulling out a pair of dark colored gloves from her bag. Taking off her current pair, she puts them on, letting the power in them circulate through her memories, opening pathways that she never has, and normally would never have, known. "The riches may be all fine for any normal mortal, and defeating the evil may very well be a grand service for the children of today and the generations to come. But that isn't what concerns me. If we do indeed remove the Lords, the restrictions over life and death that they have implemented. They will be removed, correct?"

Artificer's Monocle let me study any object for one minute, and determine what it does/all of its abilities as if I had cast Identify.

Equipping Gloves of Object Reading. Will spend five minutes on the Gloves, Pendants and Boots.

Has Sythini been able to give a proper look at all the corpses? Any one look particularly strong or able?

"Do not forget, they will kill us simply for plotting to kill them. Their treachery knows no bounds. So their laws might as well be non-existent to us from this point further." The ghost says, looking around. His eyes trying to find the Shade.

Strainseir
2012-07-04, 04:26 AM
"I would have to agree that the regeneration heresy is the best option for us... From how the creature spoke it seems quite likely that we very well will become the 'gods' that will be the ones to restore balance to this world. Whatever power was left in the gods was put into these 50 souls that were cursed to stand on this field today. The creature spoke as if to say that now the bits of power in us 50 has been condensed into the five of us. When whatever power in is the lords is released that they stole from the gods... This will be a complicated matter. I think at this moment before we decide upon which Heresy to banner under to take down the lords, we need to discuss some things." Ash said as he pet gently upon the head of his odd white weasel that rested around his neck like a living boa," Our lives are complicated enough without secrets. We all need to be honest with each other about our capabilities, habits, and any legal problems each of us may have."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-04, 05:24 AM
It seems that Vardoth will get nothing out of the Shade. Oh well, time for that later. For now, focus on getting on the good side of his new companions. Even if he disagreed with them, it was far better to fight alongside loyal friends than distrustful acquaintances. That could cause hesitation, and hesitation can spell the difference between life and death in a battle.

Beaming at Ash, he nods vigorously. "I couldn't agree more. In order to function as a team, we need to be able to rely on one another, and we need to know the extent of each other's capabilities. We can start by introducing ourselves. My name is Vardoth Silvertongue, mercenary by trade. Also, our token gnoll here raises a good point. Is anyone skilled in healing? I took a fair bit of beating in that fight, nothing serious, but still." His eyes flicker back and forth as he evaluates the group, already starting to memorize their habits and quirks.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-05, 12:49 AM
"I believe the saying is 'you never truly know a man until you fight him' or some such. But we have seen each other fight, so I suspect we already know a great deal about each other. That being said, if you did not gather it from the Shade's word, I am called Galizur and I am a ghost. This is normally the only way I can interact with the world of the living."

"But beyond that, I have much to say. On the turn of events that unfolded here, the creature that is now manipulating us, and even a unique thought on which 'heresy' we should take control of as soon as possible. However I find myself reluctant, believing that wretched being is watching us even now."
Once more the creature in the corpse looks around, trying to find the Shade. He knows he will find nothing, but hopes he could get a sign. Already he hated the creature, and yet respected him for his power.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-05, 05:58 PM
"Why, of course it is still watching us. I imagine it will continue to do so for the next few months or however long it takes us to kill the Lords." Vardoth has absolutely no doubt that they will do so, of course. "I must say that it will be exceedingly useful to have a ghost on our side. You can go through walls and similar, yes? Perfect for infiltration and scouting." Maybe this wouldn't be so hard after all. Either way, they would win in the end. Or at least, he would.

Lucretia
2012-07-05, 06:12 PM
Just a reminder: you have been given your instructions, so I'm going to continue to watch from afar until such a time as they're carried out.

There loot is:

Three masterwork +1 swords

One adamantine masterwork +1 spiked chain

One gory pair of Steadfast Boots

Five vials full of purplish liquid that you didn't identify, I don't think, but I'll presume you did and thus you know they're Potions of Cure Serious Wounds with a caster level of 9. (That's 3d8+9 HP per vial)

One pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +2

The pendant does not register in your monocle.

Using your gloves of object reading you understand the following: the gauntlets were wielded by a male 27 year old human who was Chaotic Neutral. He bought them from a mage, and they were lost when you stole them from his corpse. You also know the boots were wielded by a 25 year old male Lawful Neutral dwarf who is currently a puddle of goo, who lost his boots when they were stolen from his corpse. He obtained them by crafting them himself. The pendant does not register in your gloves.

There are a few corpses that look hearty, but an ogre corpse seems like the best bet.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-05, 11:47 PM
"Truly... I am glad your enthusiasm is so great towards my abilities. If you fall, I will make it a point to inhabit your body so that you can continue to serve the cause." The ghost says rather bitterly.
"Now then. Understand that the Shade wishes to use us, and likely cast us aside when the time is convenient. I imagine that would come after we kill the lords. It does not believe all of us will survive it's plan, it has told me this much. It is this reason, I believe we should try to think outside the box when we have the opportunity. What it does not expect, may change it's plans."

"With that in mind, I do agree that the regeneration heresy fits our forming mythology quite nicely. However, the Omnicide heresy is already militarized and simply lacks leadership, thus fitting our need quite nicely right from the start. Not to mention that if what the Shade says is true, they are technically correct in their beliefs. Finally there is the Vindershimmesanderson Heresy. Given my abilities, it would not be hard to tell them what they want to hear, and manipulate them into doing what we want. I mention these three, because there are five of us. I don't believe it would be impossible for us to manage all three separately, thus giving us theoretically triple the manpower and resources."

Silver Night
2012-07-06, 02:43 AM
I agree that potentially they might all be useful, but perhaps we should tackle one at a time? We can always co-opt another once we've get the first doing what we'd like, yes?

More immediately, what are we going to do with the loot? I suggest if anyone wants any of it for their use, they take it, and that otherwise we sell the rest and split the proceeds. Sound good?

Maybe swing back by the village, see if there is anyone there that can patch us up, what need it.

Cardea
2012-07-06, 10:07 AM
Sythini

"The swords have low magic. Simple combat. The chain is of the same degree, but is made of adamantine. If you are familiar with them, the boots are Steadfast. The liquid is healing, so you find yourself lucky. The gauntlets bolster your strength." Sythini says, after a few minutes. She digests the memories, internalizing them into her mind, before she continues. As she speaks, she continues to look over the items, though briefly, before turning her attention to the fallen Ogre. "The potions will find use. If one of you can use the chain, keep it. Otherwise, sell it. Adamantine is valuable. Though I do have something I can use it for.

"As for the rest of it, I ask that I keep them. I can remove their magic, and use it as fuel for better items. I can even improve the items you carry on yourself now, in fact. The offset is that its permanent: Either I don't, or I do. If I do, then whatever the item was ceases to be.

"In light of wishing to share secrets, how do the rest of you feel about death?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-06, 10:47 AM
"I imagine, based your comment about the lords restrictions over life and death and how you eye these bodies, that you are not really asking how we feel about death. Rather, you are asking how we feel about unlife, am I correct?"
Turning, Galizur eyes the other three.
"In fact, it would not surprise me if these three were not even aware of the restriction set in place by cryptkeeper. It is not something that comes up often except to those that are capable of doing such. But regardless of how we feel, we need all the advantage we can muster. And since I am apparently part of this plan, whether you all like it or not, you will be working with undead. So, Sythini, if you are capable of creating the undead, I suggest you do so."

"As for you Gnoll, your suggestion is acceptable. If you would like to start with the regeneration heresy first, let us get to it unless someone objects."

Cardea
2012-07-06, 11:29 AM
Sythini

For the first time in weeks, Sythini smiles. A small thing, but one nonetheless. "To be honest, had I been forced to fight you, I would have commanded you as any other lesser creature. I realize now the folly in that." She says, without turning to the ghost. Crouching down, she places her palm on the Ogre's head: middle finger on the forehead, ring and fore over the eyes, palm over the nose, thumb and little reaching towards the ears. She breathes in, reserving a part of will over the corpse. "Animatum Mortuus."

Animate Dead on the Ogre corpse. Making an Ogre Skeleton.

It gains the benefits of Corpsecrafter: +4 Str, and +2 Health per HD.

Lucretia
2012-07-06, 11:55 AM
I don't recall any feats you have that would allow you to ignore the material component of this spell. If I'm wrong, please tell me!

Cardea
2012-07-06, 12:16 PM
We worked out in PMs that I could include the gems and other spell components in the '300gp of Oils/Materials' on my inventory.

Lucretia
2012-07-06, 12:19 PM
Did we? Interesting. Well, you just used up 150gp of onyx. Subtract that from your sheet, please. When I'm back near my books I'll give you the statistic for Smodron the Ogre Corpse.

Strainseir
2012-07-06, 01:45 PM
Ash watches the necromancer work. He had never been curious about necromancy. The energies required to use it always felt wrong when he tried to bend them an yet still,"Necromancy is just another school of magic. Few spells are in themselves actually evil. If there is a way I think we could bring the regeneration heresy and the omnicide heresy under one banner.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-07, 05:06 AM
"Galizur, my friend, I never will fall. But I appreciate the thought." Vardoth was about to continue, but as Sythini raises the ogre he stops, mouth half open, staring at it. After a moment or two, he turns towards the necromancer, with a look of respect in his eyes. For once, not faked.

"Power over the living is easy to achieve. Fools and madmen can command nations, and all men desire to serve. But power over the dead...that is an uncommon gift. You have true power, madam. Do not waste it." He seems more serious than he has ever been before, even in the heat of battle. Power means everything to him, after all.

Shaking his head slightly, he returns to the matter at hand. "The Omnicide and Regeneration Heresies seem to fit well together, or at least better than any of the others. I vote that we start with trying to unite them."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-08, 02:03 AM
Galizur watched the elf carefully. Her smile caught him off guard, and made him realize how much of his core had become simply anger. To see happiness in her face... unsettled him. And the fact that he had that kind of feeling as a reaction bothered him more. For a moment... he looked at her and was tempted to tell her how he knew about the lords restriction over life and death. She had assumed, incorrectly, that it was because he was undead. But after several moments of thought, he decided against it, realizing that this alliance was still too fragile. Finally coming out of his well of thoughts, he turned back to Ash, Vardoth, and Dejas.

"If you wish to unite the Omnicide Heresy and the Regeneration Heresy, we best start with the Omnicide first. They are crazy and require we alter their values before they follow us. Once that difficult task is done, we shouldn't have to work too hard in recruiting the regenerationists. The shade said once we decided, we simply had to declare it and we would meet a representative. However, thought upon that seems more complicated. For starters, who do we declare it to? Not the Shade for sure, as it has already left."

Silver Night
2012-07-08, 02:32 AM
I expect he's still keeping an eye, though. This was no small investment of time and power here, whatever his claims about how big a deal he is, right?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-08, 02:44 AM
"It seems highly likely. So does that mean we should just move on? Expect a representative to be waiting in the next town over?"

Silver Night
2012-07-11, 08:44 PM
I suppose so. Well, the sooner we go, the sooner we find out. And I need to find someone to patch me up - I'd rather save the healing potions. Let's go.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-12, 01:04 AM
"I cannot wait. But a good point is a good point. Let us take leave." Galizur says and takes off towards the village, presumably with the others.

Strainseir
2012-07-12, 03:35 PM
"I agree. If we can convert the omnicidals then we will have already gained fair amount of power. By that point gaining the aid of the regenerationalists should be simple." Ash said before following the gnoll and the ghost.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-13, 04:00 PM
"Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. I predict that there will be... unforeseen complications. But either way, we should get a move on." Vardoth is, although not happy as such, certainly excited. After so many years of waiting, the chance had finally come to take revenge on the Lords. The sooner the better.

Lucretia
2012-07-14, 02:02 AM
If Cardea doesn't mention moving by the time I wake up tomorrow, I'll presume she moves with y'all towards the town. That said, Sneaky and Stranseir both notice smoke in the distance, coming from the direction of the town on Lake Qualis...

EDIT: Also, I am super sorry y'all, a family member is in the hospital and it's just been craziness all over the place. I'm sorry to have neglected the game, and I'm glad it's still moving forward. You'll have a quality post from me shortly, which will move the plot forward and allow you all to speak amongst yourselves. Plus you get to meet one of my favorite characters ever, so that's really exciting, and you'll meet someone who is incredibly creepy, so that's also pretty cool too. I hope it'll be as exciting and enjoyable for you as it is for me!

Just as an update game-play wise, joining a heresy means you'll have access to a headquarters, which I've designed using the Stronghold Builder's Guide (although I don't have a proper map in digital form, so you'll have to bear with more descriptions), and it'll allow you downtime to repair, sell, research spells, heal, whatever you need it to do. It's your camp, more or less, and you'll have contacts from your heresy there who'll give you information on demand, let you know what's going on, et cetera. You'll be able to lead your heresy from the camp, once a few conditions are met (like establishing dominance, por ejemplo).

In addition, you'll be given your missions there, which yes, you'll have to do even though you're the leaders. Sorry, but some of us don't have divine blood, thank you very much, so nyaaah. :smalltongue:

I'm really excited for the Cathedral of Sound, actually, because it's one of those things I've had in my mind for YEARS that I've never been able to find a reason to have in a game. And now I do. So that's super awesome.

As I mentioned in the recruitment thread this is a game with a set story. It's based in many ways on video games, in that there's a goal and you're moving towards it. But this is a more sandboxy situation -- side quests for all! Want to explore the Cathedral of Sound to figure out why music plays once again? Care to investigate the Mines of Jebbly, to see what drives the miners maaaad? Or perhaps the Forest of Elms is where you'd enjoy spending your time, seeing what's going on in there? After all, many temples to the now-dead gods lie within those woods, and who knows how many have been despoiled by the Cult of Mortality?

So yeah. I'm hoping it's enjoyable for y'all, and I really hope you'll have fun with it. Thanks for bearing with me and my kooky schedule. :smallsmile:

Lucretia
2012-07-15, 11:30 PM
What? I was late? Nope! You're clearly misremembering TIME ITSELF! >_> <_<

*runs away*

Anyways, long awaited post.

The Touched moved towards the little town on Lake Qualis, and as they came closer, they could see the outline of the village smoking and smoldering. Flames had washed through the town, which they had been at not even hours before-hand. A fat, short little man in red robes with a hood trundled towards the group, waving at them. Galizur could see the great big smile on the man's lips.

Everyone could see that there were no citizens of the town among the burning wreckage of the village.

"Oh goodness, I'm glad I found you!" the short little man said as he approached, wheezing a bit. "Greetings and salutations! I am Thrombidus Smarx, and your guide! It is a great blessing from Death Itself that I managed to find you in time, it would have taken me ages to chase after you! Short little legs, you understand!" He gave a jolly laugh and took his hood off. Underneath was a mess of brown hair in the monk style, a gigantic bald patch at the top of his skull. Tanned skin crisscrossed with scars, Smarx had no facial hair to speak of. Including eyebrows.

"I have been sent by the Hyrogi Compound, and almost missed you at the village! Woo, let me tell you!" Thrombidus laughed and wiped a hand across his forehead. "When I saw a village standing, I worried I'd lost sight of you and ended up somewhere different! But here you are, and thank Death this is where you are!"

He straightened up his robes and coughed out a little cloud of soot. "So then, shall we begin the journey back to the Hyrogi Compound? I can answer whatever questions you may have on the way back. But be careful, it's likely my brethren will come to bring you to Death's Door themselves, and we can't have that!" His tone was jovial, but then turned icy. "We cannot have that!"

As suddenly as his personality changed, it switched back. "So then, what shall it be? How can Thrombidus Smarx please you?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-16, 01:00 AM
The thought had cross Galizur's mind. The people of the village saw 50 49 people go up, and would have seen something when 45 died. Although they wouldn't cause any direct harm to them, they would certainly fear them. And fear would spread the word of what had happened. If that word reached the Lords, there would be premature danger. He had contemplated dropping the body and killing everyone in the village himself. But the blood shed that had already happened left him sickened by more senseless carnage. He had decided he would either let the sneaky Vardoth handle it if he thought of it on his own, or just let fate keep it from the lords ears. It appears that fate was still hungry for more blood and souls, he thought as he approached the fat man.

Trying to get a reaction from this odd man, the dead body with glowing eyes pretending to be a man moves forward to shake his hand. As he does, he fights the urge to call his spirit reaver right now and put it through the man.
"Galizur Hellstorm. How is that the Hyrogi Compound knew to find us here? And what are their intentions with us?"

Lucretia
2012-07-16, 02:56 AM
If Galizur is sickened (lol@lack of constitution score) then Omnicide is sooooooooooo not the heresy for you. :smalltongue:

"Oh we've been waiting for you for some time! It was written that you would come to us, if only we would come to you. Mumbo jumbo bizarro stuff, the prophet was probably sent to Death's Door after making something up so cryptically, but there you have it. All the compounds have been searching, ostensibly, but Hyrogi found you first -- well, I did, but Hyrogi Compound is what I call home, so I shall lay claim on the finding. It's a great pleasure to meet you, of course. Did I mention that already?"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-16, 05:53 PM
"That does not answer my question. What does the Omnicide heresy want us for? What does the prophecy say we will do?" He says, still waiting for the man to take his hand in a shake.

Lucretia
2012-07-16, 07:17 PM
"No idea!" he said cheerfully, not taking Galizur's corpse's hand. It wasn't a custom in this world, after all. "I'm not one of those deep thinker sorts. I just start the fires and, it would appear, fetch the prophecy's targets." He began to walk, gesturing for everyone to follow him.

"We're about two weeks from the Hyrogi Compound, so we'll need to evade any other seekers while we're out. I'm sure that'll be no trouble for you, though!"

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-16, 08:45 PM
"Very well. Unless my companions have more questions, let us take haste. I am eager to get this ball rolling."

Silver Night
2012-07-17, 03:32 AM
"I'm ready to go, but I could really use a bit of patching. I'll just use one of the potions, if noone else can take care of it. Need to be in better shape if we're looking at another fight soon, though."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-17, 05:17 AM
Vardoth raises his eyebrows at the strange little man. For all his jolliness, there was something dark beneath the surface, and it unnerved the swordsman. Of course, he would never show any sign of this, but an instant dislike was developing in his mind. Mad people are very hard to read, and Smarx did seem to be at least somewhat mad.

It never even occurred to him to see if there are any survivors who might spread word of the coming Touched. Destiny wouldn't let something like that ruin their plans, after all. Although, if he had judged it prudent, Vardoth would have no trouble with butchering as many people as needed. Peasants were weak and cowardly, and the cowardly are destined only for servitude or ignoble death.

Stepping forward to Smarx, he nods in greeting. "Vardoth Silvertongue, at your service. I agree that we should start making for the Hyrogi compound at once. The sooner we can infiltrate the Heresy, the sooner we can exterminate the Lords." Without waiting another moment, Vardoth strides forward, his long legs eating up the ground. He was eager to be on his way, and two weeks was a long time. Hopefully they could make it sooner if they hurried.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-20, 12:41 AM
Galizur nearly falls backwards as his concentration on controlling the body is broken. His jaw hangs open, and then as he regains composure it slowly closes. Shaking his head at the man's strange choice of words when discretion was needed he goes after him. Rushing forward he manages to catch up with Vardoth, and turns to him to question his words.
"What were-"
"..."
"Why would you-"
Then his mind realizes that the fat little bastard is right there. Anything he asks will only make things worse, or derail the sneaky one's strange plan. If he even had one. Galizur would have to make this a more private conversation.
"Nevermind..."
He then falls back to walk with the necromancer. An animated corpse next to a zombie ogre and a elf necromancer. At least they likely wouldn't feel odd about his presence. This day had be far more frustrating than he had predicted.

Lucretia
2012-07-23, 04:05 PM
Combination 503 error and headache prevented this from going up yesterday. My frustration was incredible. I apologize, in any event, for the tardiness.

The journey took about two weeks, as Smarx led you through the rolling Thrixian plains to the north. Mountains loomed on the horizon for the better part of half the journey, seemingly never getting closer. A trick of perspective -- the plains were so vast, and the mountains so tall, that even a day's journey would not bring you closer by any appreciable amount. As you came nearer to your destination, more and more wildlife appeared to have died, and the river you had begun to follow seemed somewhat more sinister. The banks were devoid of life, either of the buzzing-and-ribbiting variety or the blooming. But on the dawn of the fifteenth day, you had arrived at the Hyrogi Compound, nestled in the base of one of the great mountains.

The compound itself wasn't particularly interesting. Two stories were visible, built backwards into the sheer face of the mountain. Dark gray stone made up the simple walls, and the main gate was also the path for the river which came between it, a small wooden bridge constructed to allow for entrance without getting up to your elbows in water. No vines grew on the outside of the Hyrogi Compound, and indeed there was a ring of ashy dead zone surrounding the place. No acolytes or initiates -- none of the heretics other than Smarx -- could be seen as the group approached.

"And here we are!" the little rotund pyromaniac said gleefully, crossing the bridge and entering the overhang of the wall that could be closed off by a portcullis. "Avoid drinking the water, we poison it as I am positive you realized! The source is right above the poison room, so you will be able to survive without damaging yourself! Normally we would simply provide water without telling you where it came from, but as the prophecy indicates, we need you alive! The great failing of our heresy is that we cannot be under one banner, because we must constantly kill kill kill, yes? But the prophecy indicates you will change that! Well, that's not true. One of the prophecies does. There's a whole wall of them. I can show that to you if you'd like! It's quite enjoyable. Lots of vibrant colors and the pungent smell of acid. But I have been instructed to bring you to someone. Before that, however, perhaps you would like a tour of your new home? Or perhaps you'd care to examine it on your own, wander about and view what is what? I should warn you, Hyrogi means 'trapped' in the Old Tongue, and not for no reason either! Be careful not to accidentally trigger one of the many devious ways to bring you to Death's Door!"

Gesturing for the group to follow him in, Smarx waited for a response or action.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-23, 06:38 PM
"Just take us to those who wish to see us, and give the dime tour as you go. Let's not delay any further." The deadman says impatiently. He looks around without fear, but wonders how his more spongy companions think of this death trap. If Smarx represented them well, they were a bunch of fools. Perhaps they had made a mistake. But it was too late to go back, and only time would tell.

Strainseir
2012-07-24, 07:03 AM
Ash felt incredibly uneasy about this place. These people were quite dangerous fanatics. Regardless of the the obvious risk, fanatics can be a powerful tool if aimed the right way. If they do not kill this group then the five of us could mold this army into a force for good,"I agree with my undead comrade."

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-24, 11:22 PM
Vardoth can't help but grin as he looks around the compound. Such devotion to making the place inhospitable! A poisoned river? Traps everywhere? This place would make an excellent fortress. It seemed fairly solid, and it could only be approached from one direction, unless a force tried to scale the mountain, a nigh impossible task. Hopefully it extended further back underground, so as to have a place to fall back on if the walls came down. Any attacking force would likely suffer casualties from the poisoned river as well, and the lack of wildlife would make a protracted siege much less viable than normal. Whoever designed this knew what he was doing.

The swordsman nods absently to Smarx, looking around the place with a certain amount of excitement. "Yes, a tour would be excellent. I'd like to see a rundown of the defenses, entrances and exits, supplies, placement of murder holes, et cetera. If you could show me where all the traps are as well, that would be appreciated." Coming back from whatever strange daydream he was having, he looks around at the other Touched and raises an eyebrow. "Of course, all that can come later. I'm sure such details would bore my companions, so just bring us to where we have to go for now."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-24, 11:39 PM
Thinking to himself for a moment, Galizur turns to Smarx once more. "One more thing Smarx. I get the impression people die here often. When you get the opportunity, I want you to find out if anyone has died in the last 8 hours. Hopefully by poison or something similar that doesn't leave the body mangled. It would be appreciated. "

Silver Night
2012-07-27, 01:49 AM
Tour's fine, though I don't think I'll wander around much. It's a bit dreary for my tastes, so the sooner to business the better, yes? Dejas sniffs disdainfully at all the lifelessness and pats his maces absently.

Lucretia
2012-07-29, 10:06 PM
The Hyrogi Compound was made up of granite, or at least some dark gray stone. Smarx began by bringing the Touched through the external-most wall. The outer wall was four feet thick, pure stone hewn from the cliff face behind them. Small slits that let in sunlight could be found ever three feet, allowing archers within the two-storied wall to fire with impunity should the compound be attacked. Smarx also indicated the various traps within the hallways, showing how to avoid them. Spikes could be found in almost every part of the roof to either story of the exterior wall, hastening the unwary to Death's Door and preventing invaders from making adequate usage of the compound's defenses. The short little man also indicated that the external wall could release toxic fumes that killed lesser men and animals easily, accounting for the ring of death surrounding Hyrogi.

The walls encircled a small courtyard with a glass roof over-head. The glass could be raised or lowered by a series of small levers and pulleys hidden out of sight, and the glass itself, Smarx said happily, was reinforced with ancient magic to make it as tough as the stone of the wall. Hay covered the stone floor, and Smarx indicated where not to step -- although the blood-stained hay was pretty good at warning the unwary. A failsafe in this part of the compound allowed for a great fireball to be ignited, which would set fire to the hay and remove a fair amount of the oxygen in the area -- killing any invading army if need be. Around the courtyard, a smithy could be seen, as well as what looked like a wall-less tavern. A simple wooden bar was set atop a few kegs, with makeshift stools in front and a series of mugs and bottles on crude shelves. Nonpermanent fixtures, capable of being replaced easily should the failsafe be triggered. No sense in wasting money or time.

There was also a stall opposite the gate that led from the outside of the Hyrogi Compound, through the double portcullises, and into the courtyard. This was a series of crates erected in a rough rectangle, with bits of wood and twine creating a clothesline for certain wares to be presented. A trader, Smarx indicated, who wasn't directly part of the Omnicide heretics but was loose enough with his morals to do business with them. It was difficult to do the Lords' work if all the True Servants of the Cult of Mortality were starving, so such traders were unfortunate victims to Life's Clutch. The clean shaven youth behind the stall looked at the Touched with wide eyes, clearly nerve-wracked. Smarx waved at the fellow cheerfully and continued the tour.

The last place of mention in the courtyard was next to the tavern. A strange looking stalagmite with the top cut off and a basin carved into it stood alone, a wide berth afforded to it. Smarx indicated this was to be filled with blood and used for enchanting should the situation call for it, although the Stalagmite had been unused for some time. The courtyard, a circle, formed a pretty good pentagram. Along the circumference, clockwise, it went: portcullis death room, forge, trader, stalagmite, pseudo-tavern. Moving to a set of stairs between the trader and the Stalagmite, Smarx led the Touched inwards further.

At this point the Hyrogi Compound was literally in the cliff, moving through the mine shafts that had yielded the stone for the walls. Water ran in small rivulets down either wall, although no puddle could be found on the floors. A natural purification system, Smarx noted with some disgust. An aquifer, he mentioned off-handedly. Below where they stood, beneath the courtyard, was a basin proper which moved into the river they had followed to get here, and which they had crossed to enter the Hyrogi Compound. Corpses of the dead, offal and refuse, muck and nightsoil -- all of these things were put into a mesh basket which was suspended between the basin's outflow and the beginning of the river. This caused the poisoning and allowed for a convenient disposal of all the things that were put into the river.

Moving into the cliff facing, Smarx brought the Touched to a circular room about ten feet tall and fifteen feet in diameter. There were eight doors branching off, including the door that led to the wishbone-esque corridors which exited into the staircases back in the Courtyard. This cliff, Smarx mentioned, was ethereally solid, and impervious to scrying -- a useful refuge from an army. The door that led from the rotunda into the wishbone corridors was one of three, although two of them were lodged in the ceiling. Upon the pull of a lever, the two other doors would slam shut and begin to fill with water, in order to provide additional defenses against invaders.

Of the seven other doors, five were bedroom suites. Nothing particularly luxurious, but each had a small closet and bathroom, complete with an everful basin. Bathes could be drawn, and servants each morning would empty the chamberpots into the mesh poison basket. The sixth door led to the Prophecy Room, as Smarx called it. He asked that the Prophecy Room be last on the great tour, as there would be many questions that came from it.

The final door led to a corridor, large enough for two men to walk shoulder to shoulder comfortably and ten feet tall as well, which went even deeper into the mountain. The corridor had stairs built into it, although the decline wasn't particularly large. About one hundred feet from the door, the corridor stopped abruptly. Removing an ornate-looking key from his robes, Smarx touched the teeth of the key against the stone. With a grinding noise, the section of wall raised into the ceiling. Beyond was another circular room, it would appear, although it was relatively dark. Smarx gave Vardoth the everburning torch the little man had been holding and nodded to the group.

"I'll be waiting for you in the Prophecy Room -- there's someone you need to meet in here. I can say no more!" And with that, he skipped away back down the corridor, shutting the eighth door behind him.

Sorry for the wall of text and the time it took to make this. I had to find the right words as I looked at this poorly drawn diagram I've got in front of me. Hopefully the words above were enough to provide a rough understanding of what the Hyrogi Compound looks like? And maybe you'll even find yourself thinking it's a place you'll be able to call home -- or at least HQ -- for the next few chapters.

Last night I was considering giving up, writing out the whole plot in a spoiler and ending the game because of perceived failure. But that's not fair for y'all, and I'm having a great deal of fun, so hopefully you're okay with the glacier-like pace. As long as there's one player who'll respond to me, I'll keep making these posts. I'm lookin' at you, CowMasterTrojan. :smalltongue:

The end of Chapter One approaches. Enter the darkened room, and see!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-01, 02:36 AM
O.O I don't know what's worse, the fact that I'm two days late to respond to this big post, or that no one else has. Everyone is just too intimidated by it.

To the skipping Smarx, Galizur turns to sarcastically say "Indeed. My curiosity is over-bound with joy." Once he is gone, he turns to the others, and simply mutters "This place is... We appear to have selected loons to save the world. I am filled with a mixture of fear and great anticipation to what we will find behind here." With that, he turns and opens the doors to walk in once the others are ready.

Lucretia
2012-08-02, 07:04 AM
If no one else replies soon, you'll go meet the mysterious man on your own! Five, one, whatever. :smalltongue:

Strainseir
2012-08-03, 11:31 AM
Sorry for the lack of posts. I have been on vacation with... family...

Ash took in the sights with a feeling of awe wonder and complete disgust. To be so devoted to a cause is admirable, but to take that devotion and turn it so perverted and wrong... His words stayed buried deep within his mind but a few did indeed slip out,"With a bit of a change to the way they see this world they could indeed be powerful allies."

Lucretia
2012-08-05, 04:42 AM
Alrighty, the reveal is almost upon us. It's nice to see Ash is still with us! :smallbiggrin:

As it's nearing the end of summer, I don't doubt there's a great deal of vacationing and last minute events. That and the glacier-like rate of my posting probably bored some people to death! But the Prologue ends soon, just after this next encounter. After that, you'll get to work on some Good Ol' Fashioned lord-killing.

By the way, I'm posting here because double posting aggravates me and no one else has said something in the OOC thread since I wrote something. :smalltongue:

I'm investigating ways of streamlining combat. On the one hand, there's the theory that at y'all's level, combat is really more of a road bump than any real difficulty. On the other, there's the philosophy that combat is super fun. I think I'll try to utilize logic puzzles or things of that sort, not in lieu of combat, but in addition to it. Keep the combat for the Dragon and the Big Bad of each chapter, that sort of thing. If y'all have any opinions on the matter, let me know! I'd like to tailor this to your joy.

And thank you for being my little guinea pigs as I stumble through DMing. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Instead of another monster post, as I had drafted, I'll have it as a far more interactive scene. Cutscenes don't work very well. The wait probably seems sillylong compared to the length of the post, but making sure I know what all needs to happen is worth SOMETHING, right? :smalleek:

As the Touched enter the circular room, each felt the sort of sensation you get when someone's watching you. A chittering noise like a thousand insects greeted your ears, and from the noise some sort of voice could be derived.

"Welcome to my little slice of hell, Children of the Doomed. Perhaps you should close the door. We have much to discuss."

The smell of rotted flesh meets your nostrils as well. It's putrid.

Strainseir
2012-08-07, 07:31 PM
Ash steps into the room letting his eyes search around carefully expecting something horrible to attempt to eat him.

"My Name is Ashley. I hail from the land of Windhelm. Might I have your name?"

Lucretia
2012-08-07, 07:33 PM
"Little creature of flesh and bone, I was given no name by my wombmakers."

Strainseir
2012-08-07, 10:01 PM
Ash just grinned softly,"Alright then what are you called creature with no name."

Lucretia
2012-08-07, 10:06 PM
"Many names. I am that which they fear, the creature which stalks the night to drag the helpless to the shadows. These rudimentary cultists, they call me Lord and Master, but that is their failing, not yours. You may call me what you wish, for it will have no impact on our dealings."

Strainseir
2012-08-07, 10:26 PM
Ash looks about waiting for the people around him to speak. At the moment they are silent so he speaks more,"What exactly is it you want from us oh nameless horror?"

Lucretia
2012-08-07, 10:31 PM
"Death. Carnage. A return of order. I should not exist, but I do. A byproduct of the rape of the heavens. The prophecy indicates the Children of the Doomed will be the instruments of equalization. That you joined the Omnicidal Heretics was inevitable -- it is the Truth, and the solution."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-07, 10:56 PM
With a raised eyebrow, Galizur turns to Ashley and then back at the creature. Making sure all his companions who are coming are inside, he then uses his telekinesis to shut the door. Turning back, he finally chooses to speak to the creature.
"Death. Carnage. Equalization of things. It is indeed our fate to bring about these things. If that is truly what you and your followers want, and you do not care about the means to bring those things, then there will be no problem."

Lucretia
2012-08-07, 11:01 PM
Galizur could not see the thing that was speaking, but his motions still made sense. The chittering voice replied.

"The means mean nothing! Death is death. The end is all I care for, and all these creatures care for, those smoldering little things. They are without merit. They are tools for you, means if you so choose. All I care for is the end."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-07, 11:06 PM
"Then if you do not care who we kill, so long as it leads to death, you approve. Correct? If that is the case, then surely this is destiny."

Lucretia
2012-08-07, 11:13 PM
"Presuming you return the balance, death is inevitable."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-08, 12:21 AM
The dead man stared at that which he could not see for a moment longer, and scowled. His eyes glowing with annoyance as always.
"Let us back up, if just for a moment. I want to be clear that we are all talking about the same thing. What do you believe it means to 'return the balance'?"

Lucretia
2012-08-08, 12:26 AM
"It's simple. Kill the Lords."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-08, 12:40 AM
Galizur laughs laughs briefly, as if the madness was finally catching. "Oh good. And here I thought we may have to be careful to not reveal what our true intentions really are. Yes, we will kill the lords. And the 'Omnicidal Heretics' will help us. We agree completely. Now we just have to find them."

Strainseir
2012-08-08, 03:47 PM
That made Ash chuckle as well. At least we were being honest and blunt,"Why do you want the balance returned?"

Lucretia
2012-08-08, 04:36 PM
"Can you not hear, Ashley of Windhelm? The imbalance made me. It gave that life which should not have life, existence to what should not exist. For as long as the imbalance holds, I will exist, and that is something I cannot allow."

Strainseir
2012-08-08, 04:38 PM
"That is what confounds me. You are the first creature I have met that truly wishes for their existence to end.

Lucretia
2012-08-08, 06:33 PM
From the shadows of the room, the noise came to a crescendo before suddenly going silent. Soft footsteps could be heard, and slowly the source of the terrible smell became clear.

The thing before you was nearly seven feet tall, stooped somewhat in the room. From the light of the torch, you could make out the glistening sheen of the pulsating organs, uncovered for the most part, untouched by rot. Muscles and sinew were sparse, but where visible were horrifically scarred. Over top of these things was a soft wire mesh, it seemed, fine enough to prevent any slipping-through of organs or tissues. On the left hand, the abomination lacked fingers, a series of scythe blades could be seen, strings of muscle tied unceremoniously into the blade to allow it to be moved in a mockery of digits.

Where it stepped, a bloody foot print could be seen, oozing out of the wire mesh along the sole of the foot presumably. There wasn't any bone that could be seen, just a mess of painful-looking raw muscle. The feet themselves were somewhat misshapen, lacking the arch of a foot. This gave the creature something of a lumber, each step requiring attention. The toes of that ghastly foot, if it could be called a foot and if they could be called toes, were stiff, unmoving despite the motion forward. Blood could be seen oozing out of the wire here as well, a thick and syrupy blood that was far too dark to be normal. The nails of those toes were yellow things, horrific to behold.

The whole of the abomination was terrible to see, but what was most disconcerting was the skin.

Across the wire, small patches of flesh could be seen, each three inches by three inches. Each patch was a different hue, and each in a different stage of decay in stark contrast to the decayless organs beneath the wire. Bizarre thread held the patches to the wire, but even then the corners were upturned, the edges curling inwards as the flesh lost its elasticity. Lumps could be seen in the flesh, most likely where bacteria had begun to convert the tissue into odious pockets of corpse-gas.

It turned its lidless eyes to you, the muscles on its revealed forehead moving in a way perhaps equivalent to a raised eyebrow.

"You have never met a Mistake, little Ashley of Windhelm."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-09, 02:59 AM
"Forgive my impatience, but the theatrics of your appearance does not turn my stomach as it may others. Nor does it fill my heart with fear or despair. Frankly if you were a 20 ft tall duck, I wouldn't care as long as long as you cooperated.

So let me cut to the chase. We know where we're going. We know the end. But how we get there... we have yet to achieve that info. You seem to have had plenty of time into thinking about how to kill them. Where should we start?"

Lucretia
2012-08-13, 09:05 PM
Wasn't sure if anyone else was going to post!

"The Vampire Lord will be the easiest. The Heretics will keep his forces at bay while you infiltrate his castle and kill him. Surely you could have come to the same conclusion?"

Strainseir
2012-08-14, 05:54 AM
"If we use this strategy what are the projected losses from the heretics?" Ash said as he folded his arms looking into the eyes of the creature.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-14, 09:38 AM
"Perhaps the easiest, yes. But the best choice, I'm not so certain. When one of them dies, they will know. And then they will begin to gather as much info on us as possible. A better choice would be the Diviner. With our first attack, Blind them."

Lucretia
2012-08-14, 04:11 PM
"Are you familiar with the location of the Diviner? Hmm? Can you use your powers to discern his location, mystically shielded from lesser divination as it is?" The monstrosity before them had a very sarcastic tone. "If we knew where he was, I would have committed all the heretics there are under my banner to this task. The Eyes of the Lords are never vulnerable. If you wish to search the mountains manually, by all means, go ahead. Indulge.

"It is theorized that in the Vampire Lord's throne room, there will be a missive to the Diviner -- some way for them to communicate. Taking this, using this to our advantage, will be the only way to pierce the veil and find the short Lord. Unless you have some sort of a way to find him? That would certainly hasten their demise.

"As for their losses..." The terrifying abomination turned its lidless eyes to Ashley. "There will be two armies, ten thousand strong, clashing across a great open plain. When the Heretics get the upper hand, clouds will gather above, blocking the sun, and the Vampire Lord will appear to savage them all. We will lose many heretics, a few compounds' worth, but as the Vampire Lord fights you can enter the castle. He is invincible outside of it -- only near the ground he sleeps in can the Vampire Lord be harmed, they say. I am inclined to stack the deck as best I can. If you five are to die, the Lords will be unchallenged. My existence will never end. That cannot come to pass."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-15, 01:07 AM
"I had hoped we could save the bastard for Last if possible. Let him watch as his world crumbles in-front of him. Blast." Galizur says bitterly.

"So be it. To hell with the unintended consequences. We... those that remain after will have to deal with them. But sacrificing all the heretics for one lord seems wasteful. We will have to devise a better strategy. Killing them all just to get to him is unacceptable."

Strainseir
2012-08-15, 11:09 AM
"Though our reasons for not wanting to waste lives differs, I am indeed starting to warm up to you Ghost." Ash said actually somewhat impressed,"We cannot afford to waste a single life we do not need to."

Lucretia
2012-08-16, 05:55 PM
"I was asked what plan I had. I gave it to you. If you are unhappy with my approach, please, by all means -- do whatever you'd like. Merely inform that insufferable fireball what you have need of from the heretics, and he will provide it."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-16, 06:47 PM
"Very well. Do you wish anything else from us at this time?"

Lucretia
2012-08-16, 06:58 PM
"No. The insufferable creature that brought you here can discuss such things as tithes to your greatness. I believe there is some money saved for your eventual return -- which would be now. Feel free to take it."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-16, 07:25 PM
Galizur's eyes open widely in surprise.
"You gather an army and funds for us, and expect nothing in return from us other than to do what we would already do. All so that you may die. Truly your part in the cause is tremendous. Thank you." He says with a bow and walks out, hoping Ashley will follow.

Strainseir
2012-08-17, 07:12 PM
Ash could not think of anything else he might say to add so instead he gave a respectful bow without taking his eyes off the creature,"Thank you." he said before following Galizur out.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-17, 08:51 PM
After shutting the door and stepping away, Galizur makes sure that they appear to speak freely. "If we are to go for the undead bastard Cryptkeeper first, then we must speak. There are things I need to tell you. What do you know about the Vampire lord?"

Lucretia
2012-08-19, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I'm now settled in college so hopefully this can move at twice glacier speed! Look out, more than one post a week might come true! :smalleek:

Was that question directed towards Ashley or one of the NPCs?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-19, 10:06 PM
Sorry, I'm now settled in college so hopefully this can move at twice glacier speed! Look out, more than one post a week might come true! :smalleek:

Was that question directed towards Ashley or one of the NPCs?

That was directed at Ashley. Looking forward to twice glacier speed. :smallwink:

Strainseir
2012-08-20, 05:57 AM
Ashley just sighed heavily as he admitted,"No where near as much as I should to be in this situation. I know barely anything about the lords. I am most likely the youngest member of our group. I spent most of my time in my studies."

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-20, 11:36 AM
"That... does explain a bit. Very well, I will tell you a bit about the bastard before we plot to kill him."

"Since the Lords took over... The cryptkeeper has been the face of them. At least, that has been my experience. I will not deny him that Laloon is a great city in many ways. Crime is low, the city is clean, and there is a impressive sewer system that keeps disease down. I know much of the sewers." He laughs.

"But the vampire's benevolence is a facade. He keeps things peaceful for the same reason you keep pigs well fed. It is he who put a ban on necromancy that Synthini and I spoke of earlier. Until the day I died, I served this edict. But I have since grown to suspect that the reason he ordered such was because he is secretly hiding an army of undead. No one but the most loyal of his men are allowed in his castle. To me, that says he is hiding something. And no one would suspect the benevolent vampire lord who strives to destroy all undead to secretly be harboring undead. So when we storm the castle, you be sure your blade is silver and magical. Don't look anyone in the eyes, and try not to touch anyone unless your blade is between you."

"But the reason I bring this up, is more important. I want you to understand this, and understand it well. I am... this... because of cryptkeeper. It was he my actions served in my life, and when the time came he had me executed and thrown away like a piece of trash. My soul, which is all that is left of me, is filled with anger and hatred for him. When the time comes, I will be the one to finish him off. To make the final blow. BUT... but understand that after he dies, my purpose is complete. My soul will no longer be tied to this realm. Will I transcend to the next world? I think not. No, I suspect that if the Shade is so powerful that he can pull my spirit into the physical world, then he too can hold my soul so that it doesn't leave. Anchor it for as long as it is convenient. So my point is this, if you ever intend to betray the Shade, after we kill cryptkeeper do not trust me. I know not what control he may have over me."

Strainseir
2012-08-21, 04:04 PM
Ashley just placed a hand on the shoulder of Galizur then thinks for a moment and remove his hand from the corpse,"I do not yet understand how we are different. However I know we are different now. Stand tall my friend. You will get you revenge, and keep you free will. The vampire lord shall be ash at our feet in no time. Now legs go find that shaky guy.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-23, 06:19 PM
"You don't know how we are different? Well for starters... I am dead and you aren't. Yet. But we are bound in a fate we don't understand which requires untold bloodshed and murder. Apparently to save everything. You may not like it, but at this time it is all I can see of our fate. Perhaps you should contemplate that for a bit."

"Now let us find the crazy one known as smarx. I am overjoyed with enthusiasm." He says, walking away abruptly.

Strainseir
2012-08-23, 07:24 PM
"I fear you misunderstand mu words. What happened with the shade has changed us. I know that. The terribly slaughter at our meeting changed us. The Shade spoke of fractions of power in each of us. When they died we each became stronger. While right now we look the same, well you do not but that is a different matter. Whatever we once were has changed or is changing into something else. When we do encounter the vampire I do not think he will exert the power over you that you think he will. If he does I will do what is necessary to end his tyranny." Ash said as he followed the Ghost's brisk pace.

Lucretia
2012-09-02, 05:23 PM
Smarx smiled at the pair as they returned from the chamber, blissfully unaware of what existed within the chamber. "Oh my, you've returned! How utterly marvelous! Your things have been prepared -- ten thousand gold pieces, and I've already arranged for the nearby mines to be activated again. Isn't that splendid? Of course, you may be called upon to clear out some of the tougher denizens of the mines -- the locals did have a reason to close them down, supposedly! -- but surely that won't be an issue for the likes of you, hmm? Of course not! Now, I've also taken the liberty of erecting this table within the atrium for your use, if you'll follow me?" He moved to the center of the room, where a table had, indeed, been erected. Across it was a to-scale representation of the continent.

The mountains extended majestically, the lakes and streams seemed to move in the nonexistent wind, the cities produced tiny bouts of smoke and smog. The detail was incredibly, and clearly magical. A few areas seemed more focused than others -- seven locations. Smarx gestured to them.

"You're familiar, of course, with Laloon. You could go there immediately, if you so desired." He motioned to the gigantic capital of Thrix, which held many beautiful spires and a glorious castle, imposing in its dark stone compared to the light marble of the rest of the buildings. As he gestured, Laloon expanded to fill the whole of the table, which could now be seen as a basin of a sort -- the map produced a plane across the top of the basin, but when necessary, could drop down to allow for greater depth of viewing. The thousand streets of Laloon could be seen, although not everything could be taken in at once -- whatever this table was, it was impressive magic. "There are several ways into Laloon, and we have a few cultists throughout the city. But there are many who follow both the Cult of Mortality and those bastard-heresies, so do be careful! Some who know the Truth reside within, so we are not without a network, but there are many who might oppose you!"

Sweeping his hand across the table, Smarx dismissed the close-up of Laloon and returned to the whole of Thrix. "Here we have the Twelve Crypts of Thrix," he mentioned, motioning to a graveyard located between a valley of twelve hills. "Those mausoleums are filled with the remnants of the old gods' worshipers, and are undoubtedly full of treasures and secrets! We have attempted to secure these crypts, but there were... complications. It would seem the old tombs are full of what can only be kindly referred to as a mind-bogglingly gigantic number of traps. All of our emissaries have been hastened to Death's Door!" Smarx gave an excited titter before making an arcane gesture to amplify the image of the crypts. "We have a small base-camp in the region, as do the hated Ascensionists. We can teleport you to and from Hyrogi to the Twelve Crypts at your leisure, my lords."

Dismissing that image, Smarx conjured up the third of the most intricate images. It was a cave with a great many waterfalls billowing down in front of it -- the cave itself, if the waterfalls were anything to go by, must have been several hundred feet in diameter! "The Cavern of the Water Worms has long been silent, the echoes of those reptilian beasts silenced ages ago by the Lords prior to their little deicide. Still, there are unknown secrets within those caverns, with legends speaking of both the greatest supply of sapphires in the world and the hidden wormglyphs that gave those water-wrigglers their potency. Wouldn't that be lovely to possess? I can only imagine how Laloon would fall if the power of the water worms could be turned against it! A city of waterways, assaulted from their aesthetic decisions?" Another titter. Another swipe of his hand, dismissing the image.

The cavern had been nestled in the base of the mountains, and the next image was as well. A snow-filled picture filled the basin, with the unmistakable outline of a glorious cathedral beneath layers of ice. "The old Cathedral of Sound. Still full of music, they say, despite having been abandoned for generations. Once the greatest theatre on Thrix, the Cathedral was closed for unknown reasons some time ago -- all shrouded in mystery! How extravagant! What powers and artifacts remain within are entirely up to speculation, although my mind swoons at the idea of what could have been hidden within!" Manipulating the image, Smarx showed a pair of doors, both made of glass, which were covered in vines of ice and nearly concealed by the gigantic snowdrifts. It was possible to see inside, however -- and there wasn't a flake of snow to be seen beyond the doors. "Supposedly, the architect was one of the greatest to ever live. We have yet to be able to get past the doors, though... you'd think, oh look, glass. But no, even our most powerful spells and hammers have simply bounced off." With a shrug, Smarx moved on to the next image.

A particular copse came up on the basin, pines radiating in a circle around one tree of immense size but without leaves. "The Deathbloom Copse have been of interest to the true followers of the Lords for years, but we haven't ever been able to infiltrate through the trees. Something keeps sending our scouts to the Doors of Death! Of course, it is called the Deathbloom Copse, so perhaps it has to do with the pollen of the tree? But I am no botanist, I've no idea how such a tree would function -- or why there'd be so many living trees around it, were that the case! But the impact of this sort of a weapon cannot be understated -- if you could solve the riddle of how it all works, you would have a potent weapon at your command! Imagine the death we could spread with such a thing!"

The six image was strange. Set in the ground was a great metal door, perfectly square, intricately engraved. The silver of the doors shown merrily in the light, and there appeared to be an archaeological dig around the whole thing. Judging by the size of the tiny men in the image, these doors were of an absolutely enormous scale. "We've got no idea what that is," Smarx said with a cheerful smile. "The Eighth Lord fools have been excavating it for some time, however, so they probably think it's important. If nothing else, killing them all would set that failesy-- sorry, 'heresy' -- back somewhat. But if you could also find out what was beyond those doors, you could probably come out with a fascinating weapon, something really useful towards the ultimate goal of omnicide!" He grinned from ear to ear as he removed the image from the basin.

Finally, an ocean-side city was pulled up. Built into a cove, this city was created entirely around docks, it would appear -- where the cove had once been, criss-crossing docks had created a false land where more of the city had been built. The actual 'dockspace' was still incredible, but extended along one edge of the city while most of the civilians lived over what had once been water -- and, presumably, still was. "Helvergon," Smarx said with a slight accent of disgust. "The sailors of Helvergon are widely considered to be the greatest, having been born above the water itself, but I disagree with the inclusion of these pathetic cretin in this list. Some of the Omnicides believe that Helvergon could be mustered to provide a navy for us, to create a fleet that would ferry us between the continents and provide ways into the magically shielded continents -- the Island of Smidgin, for instance. Of course, even getting to Smidgin would be difficult, and the cliffs are supposedly unscalable, so I feel Helvergon would be better served as a tomb. Remove the major supports and spells that keep the city suspended over the water, and watch as it collapses in on itself -- let us see how those sailors enjoy a sudden bath, hmm?" An evil glint in his eye gleamed as Smarx reset the basin to show all of Thrix.

"The choice of what to do is yours, my lords. I am here to serve. Please let me know how I might help!"

The Touched had been assembled. The Shade had set an enigmatic and most likely megalomaniacal plan in action. The existence of the Patchwork Man had been confirmed, and he had interacted with mortals. A small army had been provided to the Touched for use against their first target: the Vampire Lord. The choice was, indeed, theirs.

End of Chapter One

I am incredibly sorry for the gigantic delay. I doubt y'all're even still here! :smallfrown: If you are, decide on which of the side quests you'd care to go on, or if you'd rather just assault the Vampire Lord head on immediately. Or feel free to conjecture what you'd care to do, and we'll see whether it's possible or not!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-06, 09:51 PM
Hey, didn't you say we got to level up at the end of chapter 1?:smallbiggrin:

His glowing eyes of Galizur watched everything the man showed, listening carefully. He had never thought of himself as a tactically planning, but he had always understood the importance of it. Long ago he was part of a tactical strike team. Now he simply had a new team, and it was under his charge. He could accept that. It was time to start moving the chess pieces into place, one at a time.

"You bring much to think about Smarx. However I have always felt that Laloon's water system will play an important part in it's downfall, and you now tell me there is a way to unlock that. Once we have the mines cleared out, make arrangements for us to go there. The foundation for the fall of Laloon begins now."

Lucretia
2012-09-14, 09:40 PM
Chapter Two: The Concordat of Worms

Within the base of Mount Finnegan was the opening to the Cavern of the Water Worms. Seven hundred feet in diameter, the opening was the largest known in nature. A series of waterfalls cascaded from the various rivers that found their way atop Mount Finnegan, throwing their rainbows into the sky as the sunlight shimmered through. In front of the cavern was a great and shallow lake, a number of flat, moss-covered stones marking the path from the shore to the opening. Stalagmites and stalactites filled the opening, giving the illusion of a great grinning maw with far too many teeth. It was here that the Water Worms had once mated and nested, and it was here the various Broodmothers were cut down, ending the reign of the species across all of the world. Where once sailors had carried great baskets of carrion to bribe the water worms during voyages, now trade could commence without concern for anything but the tempests and squalls of the world -- and that could be easily solved by the inclusion of a druid or cleric.

And now it was time for the Cavern of the Water Worms to once again be explored. The sacred charnel house established by the Lords after their butchery and genocide had long been undisturbed, although whether that was respect for the Lords' decree or fear of what might still dwell within was a matter of some debate. But the Touched had decided to investigate the cavern, perhaps in hope of finding the many sapphires or to unlock the magical potency of the Water Worms, to steal whatever magic they had once possessed. Whatever his reason, the way was open -- all it would take would be a few short hops across the stones, and then to go spelunking.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-14, 11:56 PM
Rolling for HD [roll0]

Galizur eyed the churning water carefully, watching it pull all that it could with it. His mind had not forgotten his terrible death. You do not forget that which drives you, after all. His tattered and beaten body, tossed into a whirling vortex of water that shredded everything that entered it. He was a spirit fueled by hatred, so fear was not an emotion he could feel any longer. But if he could fear something, it would be water. Even now as he stood where it was safe, he found himself on edge. The thought of what would happen if he fell in the water running through his mind repeatedly. He reminded himself that if it came to it, this shell of a body could be discarded. It didn't make himself any calmer, just more determined.

The path to cryptkeeper had opened. It was a long tunnel, but he could see the end of it. This was a part of that path. And there would be no one stopping him from seeing it to the end. If he found sapphires here, he would take them to feed the strength of the army. Worldly possessions did not interest him as much as they once did. He was here for the power of the water wyrms! That power would be his, and he would use it to destroy the bastard's kingdom.

Almost as if he was still alive, Galizur began to stretch the decayed body. It had grown a tad rigid in it's movements, but he had learned to accommodate this. He would need a new body to inhabit soon, but he was no mass murderer. He would not kill a man just to take his body. Unless he deserved it or it was absolutely necessary. To him the ends justified the means, but that didn't mean that any means should be taken unless they absolutely had to.

Finally, as ready as he could bring himself, he backed up and began running at full speed. The pain of running this hard was no longer a set back to him, and he used it to push the body hard. With a leap, he began to jump the path leading inside the cave.

He has no ranks jump. So it's all a strength check. I don't know the bodies strength score, as it hasn't really come up.

If he can take 10, and just leap into the cave, he will. If the DC is 15, I'll roll and hope for the best. If the DC is 20 or higher, I guess Galizur will use his telekinesis and some rope to get across.

Apparently incarnates can fly at low levels. He has a fly speed of 40 ft (good) and has to touch down in-between turns. That should get me across the water with little problems.

Lucretia
2012-09-16, 02:32 AM
The stones were easily spaced and required no running or jumping. The lake itself was shallow. But fear and memory could turn even the smallest rabbit into the mightiest of monsters, and so Galizur's mind had turned the area into a tumultuous tributary. Without an ounce of difficulty (save what he provided for himself!), the Ghost made his way into the cavern proper.

Immediately he could see the path the worms had made. The floor was grooved, with shallow waterways formed between the gouges in the ground. The cavern was immense, extending farther into the ceiling than Galizur could see, and stretched into Mount Finnegan without termination as far as he could see.

I'm sorry for not having a map for you. You're in the antechamber of the cavern, more or less. You can move upwards, if you so desired, or you can move into the cavern proper. You can also investigate the gouges, look at the walls, go back outside, look at the stalagmites and stalactites, do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight -- just let me know. :smallsmile:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-23, 08:42 PM
I apologize for the delay. I could have sworn I responded to this post, but it appears that I did not.

Galizur spends a moment taking in the scene. Clearly a location of majestic appearance, he guessed that there were many hidden locations here. Water was a excellent element to hide things. However unless this physical body was destroyed, he would have to settle for not knowing.

Turning his mind back upon his task, Galizur carefully makes his way forward in to the cave proper hoping to find something that appears out of place.

Lucretia
2012-09-23, 09:08 PM
The expansive cave continues on, and Galizur is able to make out what appears to be carvings or lines in the walls of the cavern. The gouges in the floor continue on with him as he traversed the rocky path, still full of water. This far into the cavern, the sound of the waterfalls echoes and refracts into something akin to music. It's strange, and not musical in the sense that there is a melody and harmony interweaving, but there is something enchanting about it. If Galizur had been alive, he might have even found himself to enjoy the sound -- but as a creature of undeath, his musical leanings were his own.

The cavern narrowed down after a few dozen meters, although it simply went from monumental to enormous. Still, Galizur could make out distinct forks and off-shoots, should he desire to follow any.

There are five directions he can go: Galizur can go down Off-Shoot A, which is in front of him and to the left. He can go down Off-Shoot B, which is in front of him and to the right. He can go down Fork C, which is in front of him and to the left. He can go down Fork D, which is in front of him and to the right. Or he can go down Fork E, which is in front of him and straight. So there's a sort of hand-print in the cavern, if you were to observe it from above. A is the thumb, B is the pinky, C is the index, D is the ring, and E is the middle finger. Galizur may make Spot and/or Listen checks to determine his course of action. Make whatever roll you'd like, and I will reveal what information it brings up! :smallsmile:

All listen checks take a -4 for the Music of the Falls, however. And since you're undead, you're immune to mind-affecting spells, so you dodged that bullet!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-23, 09:44 PM
Galizur carefully wanders along the many different forks, looking and listening down each one. The music reminding him of something he enjoyed greatly when he was still alive. He tried hard to remember what it was, that song, but he was unable. Only the memories of wrongs done to him remained sharp in his mind. Once again, he contemplated the thought that he was a creature made of hatred. He disliked the thought very much, but found it fit him far better than he could deny.

a quick look and listen at each one to get an idea of what may be down each one. (the -4 has been taken into affect).
Path A
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Path B
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Path C
Spot [roll4]
Listen [roll5]

Path D
Spot [roll6]
Listen [roll7]

Path E
Spot [roll8]
Listen [roll9]

Lucretia
2012-09-23, 10:10 PM
Each of the five paths has a strange theme or element to it. Down A, the sound of rushing water and ocean swells; down B, the sound of the earth moving, titanic plates crushing against one another. Down C, the gentle motion of the wind against a rock face. Down D, the roar of the fire. And E is quiet, indistinguishable from the Music of the Falls.

EDIT: Yes, yes, it's a cliche, but shhhh. I hope you'll end up not finding it a tired old storyline!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-24, 01:25 AM
After careful consideration, Galizur concludes he will likely be down all five corridors. But the place that isn't making strange noise related to elements seems like a good starting point. So he heads down path E, walking carefully and trying to stay alert of any traps.

Lucretia
2012-09-29, 05:37 PM
The corridor of E is, frankly, eerie. There is something bizarre about the cavern walls, as though the geometry is off in some way. While the Ghost's mind is immune to external fears, he can still sense the disturbing nature of the walls -- it simply doesn't affect him.

The tunnel narrows down immensely, down to about the size of a broad walkway. Two men could stand shoulder to shoulder, and each could be seven feet tall, without worrying about the walls. But there's a particularly claustrophobic effect to it all, and Galizur's corpse's decaying nostrils can barely pick up a strange scent...

But it's enough for his eyes. Glancing up, the Ghost is able to spot a crevice, a fissure in the ceiling. To a lesser eye, it would have been impossible to see, but Galizur was able to detect it with ease. He could also see a strange red substance that looked suspiciously like blood.

What do you do?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 06:10 PM
Where is the strange red substance located? Is it leaking from the fissure? on the wall? A puddle on the floor?

Lucretia
2012-09-29, 06:20 PM
Sorry, that wasn't clear. It's in the fissure, which is in the ceiling.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 06:24 PM
Not necessarily the wisest decision, Galizur's curiosity gets the best of him. He quickly flies upward slightly, and touches the fissure in an effort to touch the red substance. He wishes to know what it is.

Lucretia
2012-09-29, 08:54 PM
As Galizur touches the fluid, it strikes out at him! Pushing him back to the ground, the fluid turns out significantly larger than the fissure had indicates -- it filled up the whole of the space! Had he been living, Galizur would have been in quite a pickle, but luckily his lack of breathing meant this was simply uncomfortable. Still, the body he had been wearing had been injured -- it wouldn't be too great a hindrance, but the great weight pressing down on it had taken a toll!

I don't believe this creature can actually hurt you. :smallannoyed:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 11:16 PM
So I'm slightly unclear what this thing just did. Did it just basically push Galizur down? Or did it glob onto him and get in throat?

Regardless of how it attacked it, Galizur was able to recognize something that is trying to kill him. Whether it could succeed or not was irrelevant. His glowing eyes narrowed on the red ooze, the spiritual blade once more forming onto his arm.
I will kill you, and then determine if you were ever living he though angrily.

Move free action-Summon forth spirit blade
Swift action-Rearrange essentia into lightning.
Standard action-Profit- Also, a 5ft step towards the ooze and attack.
Attack roll, power attacking 2. [roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] electric damage.

Gathering the energy that from his soul, once more Galizur called forth the brilliant glowing blade. It's energy wrapped around his hand and traveled up his dead arm. His soul connected directly to this weapon, and with his anger came sparks of electricity running down the blade. He was now ready to kill. Moving forward, he thrust his arm and the blade attached, into the red creature. Whatever it was, he intended to make sure it didn't get away.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I forgot he could draw the spirit blade as a free action now. Going to make that a full attack instead.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Lucretia
2012-09-29, 11:23 PM
Once again, my apologies for being unclear. An ooze just came from the ceiling and fell on top of Galizur. There would have been damage if it had been someone else, or if someone else was there. Like, say, a party. Of five. Ahem.

So he's currently underneath a Huge creature, but because it can't deal damage to him... it's just... there. Sadly.

Anyways, that attack is just against its AC, right? Not touch or flat-footed? Just making sure -- it's been a while since I've been over the combat rules for 3.5, so please bear with me. :smallredface:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 11:25 PM
It's quite alright. It is inevitable we won't understand each other all the time, so better to clarify.
Its been a while since Galizur has actually been in combat as well. So I'm a tad rusty myself. But yes, that is a normal attack.

Lucretia
2012-09-29, 11:29 PM
Well hey, I'm glad I still have a player at all. It's funny how long bouts of depression can kill your spirit, but I'm really happy I didn't write out all the storylines and campaign secrets like I had planned to in a post. With any luck, you will experience them and I'll get to see your reactions, so to speak. :smallsmile:

Galizur's attack moved against the gelatinous creature, but... it didn't seem to penetrate. It was bizarre, seeing as Galizur was directly underneath the thing, but still the attack didn't seem to 'connect.'

The creature made a bizarre noise, and some of the dried blood of the corpse Galizur inhabited came out through the pores. However, the Ghost wasn't harmed at all. The corpse he wore did look slightly gaunter though!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 11:47 PM
I can relate to the bouts of depression. So I'm glad you didn't write it all out either. Would have been nice to have a companion in all this however.

And an important thought is that he may not be able to be killed by this thing, but if the body he runs around in is destroyed, he will have a very hard time interacting with things.

Agitated that he cannot get enough leverage to even get the slime off him, Galizur tries a more simple approach. He sticks his blade into the ooze, and channels forth the electricity into it, hoping at least that would get a reaction.
Touch Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Using the blade as a lightning rod is just a thematic description. I'm basically just channeling lightning through Galizurs hands. It seems like he wasn't able to damage it with his attack, so hopefully lightning will hurt it or I will just have to focus my energy on escaping.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-29, 11:49 PM
Roll to confirm. [roll0]
Extra crit damage [roll1]

Edit: Nevermind. Figures I finally get a crit and its against an ooze...

Lucretia
2012-09-30, 12:08 AM
The ooze is damaged, shivering, but it remains where it is. It attacks the corpse again, trying to draw out more blood. But there's no more blood to have!

Then it'll be a race to see whether you can destroy the ooze before it destroys the body, I suppose. Of course, you can always just float back to Smarx and get a new one. :smallsmile:

Sorry to hear I could have been of some help. It's just not something I talk about a lot.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-30, 02:00 AM
Well you can be hurt, let us see if my blade can do it or if i must shock you to death Galizur thought to himself. The idea that a living man would be in a panic now was slightly amusing. Still, living or not, Galizur needed a body.

Attack 1[roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus [roll2] electric damage.
This turn with his swift action he is able to activate psychic strike, so if this ooze has a intelligence score he deals an extra [roll3]

Attack 2[roll4]
Damage [roll5]

This turn with his swift action he is able to activate psychic strike, so if this ooze has a intelligence score, and he manages to hurt it, he deals an extra [roll6] damage.

I Don't think oozes can be intelligent, but ultimately Galizur wouldn't know that. So after this round I won't roll anything because

Lucretia
2012-10-29, 12:02 PM
The great red ooze shudders as both attacks hit, energy coursing through the creature. Once more it attacked, drawing blood and causing the corpse Galizur wore to be decrepit and drained. It was also somewhat dry. Several of the bones had been broken, although for a poltergeist, that was most likely nothing more than a mild nuisance at worst.

EDIT:

Several minutes later, the ooze exploded from the assault Galizur was subjecting it to. The body he was in was mangled, but would still interact with the world as long as the ghost was providing it with motive force.

Do you wish to continue down E?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-29, 12:28 PM
Galizur rolls his body over, and slowly stands up. Taking a few moments, he tries to realign the bones as best he could. This shell was on it's last leg no doubt. And no wonder, he thought, that ooze was on top of him for what felt like weeks.

Turning back towards the way he was headed, he once more begins walking down the corridor.

Lucretia
2012-10-29, 01:02 PM
Continuing down, Galizur could note strange ridges in the sides of the walls, although he was unable to deduce what they were. The floor sloped downwards, and the surface of the stone was remarkably smooth, worn away by what could be stones -- or, perhaps, scales. Rivulets of water ran down either side of the cavern floor, and if Galizur's corpse's feet were uncovered, he'd feel the moister in the stone. The walls continued to be uneasy, but Galizur continued to not give a damn.

He would finally reach, after some time and many traps that don't work on him because he's undead, a gigantic cavern. The walls were totally black, and parts glimmered in his darkvision -- something reminiscent of the sky. If he searched, Galizur would encounter a great many bones, stretching out in meter-long corpses. Whatever skin there once was was long gone -- now, there was only bone. The corpses of the Water Worms, perhaps.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-29, 03:12 PM
Galizur looks around for anything else of interest, and then uses his temporary flight ability to examine the glimmering parts of the walls.