PDA

View Full Version : Might Morphin' Dungeon Rangers!

planswalker
2012-06-02, 06:33 AM
I have an idea to make a karate-fighting hero who uses called armor and summoning a special mount to create my very own power ranger clone in 3.5.

does anyone have tips for how to make such a build viable in a mildly optimized game? All I'm really looking for is a way for him to be a valid front-line meatshield.

bonus points if you can add in the MMPR code of honor into the mix.

sonofzeal
2012-06-02, 06:48 AM
What level?

Binder might be your best bet here. Andras lets you summon a mount, and Savnok lets you summon armor. You can also pick up a variety of slightly-to-overtly supernatural attacks, which fits MMPR well.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-02, 07:23 AM
For a moment, I thought this was going to be a campaign log for Power Ranger-themed Wildshape Rangers. That would've been awesome. I'm pretty sure there's a Psionic Power which allows multiple characters to fuse into one... might be able to combine that with homebrewed/templated Zord (warforged) Cohorts or ubermounts. There should be Power Ranger homebrew out there, too.

What you really have to do is get the whole party in on the Power Ranger theme, then watch the GM cry :smallamused:

ScubaGoomba
2012-06-02, 08:26 AM
I'd say just go Paladin and pick up some Unarmed Combat feats. When I think of Power Rangers, I think of Zords (your mount), big weapons, and martial arts. A paladin will also cover whatever "MMPR code of honor" you're looking for and I'm sure you could find a way to zap in the armor, although I'm not sure the Paladin has access to that spell. Maybe a party Wizard could scribe some scrolls for you? You'll also need a Wristwatch of Teleport.

The-Mage-King
2012-06-02, 09:43 AM
This will suprise you, but... standard Bardblade with Wild Cohort and a ring of arming. Or Bardsader, with the same

Maybe IUS and SUS, too.

You get a mount, though it isn't summonable. You get inspirational abilities. You get competence at melee. You get a trinket which stores your armor and weapon. Sounds like what you want.

planswalker
2012-06-02, 10:01 AM
Summoning the "zord" is the tricky part I'm having the most trouble with. I don't like having to go pally 5 but I have a hard time finding another way of summoning what I'm looking for.

Prime32
2012-06-02, 10:24 AM
http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/astral-juggernaut-power

At lower levels, the body of war spell.

Slipperychicken
2012-06-02, 10:58 AM
Synthesist Summoner, the Zord is an Eidolon?

nedz
2012-06-02, 05:18 PM
... You'll also need a Wristwatch of Teleport.

6 levels of Horizon Walker will get you Dimension Door at will, well every once d4 rounds at least.

How far do you need to teleport though ?

planswalker
2012-06-02, 05:20 PM
to the Moon and Back!

Morph Bark
2012-06-02, 07:04 PM
I just want to link to this piece of homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242337) because it is relevant.

And this PbP campaign set-up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244839), since the name is basically this thread title. Almost.

nedz
2012-06-02, 07:32 PM
OK
Divine Crusader [CDiv] can do that, you just need to get your hands on the Travel domain.

4 levels for Fly
5 levels for Dimension Door
6 levels for Teleport
8 levels for Teleport, Greater
10 levels for Astral Projection

High wisdom would reduce some of these by 1 level.
You are not going to have many uses per day though.

Paladin 7 should get you into this, though BAB 7 is the only hard limit.

Metahuman1
2012-06-02, 07:42 PM
An Unarmed Swordsage with a suit of called armor with the right flavor added covers Martial arts and your armor. a Bracelet with a teleportation trap and maybe a sending trap covers your morpher.

For the Zord's. Lets start with Leadership Shenanigans to get 4 or 5 Cohorts who are also swordsages, with called armor, in different colors, who all have leadership and a cohort, with a greater teleporation trap built in, of an Awakened Construct Effigy, of Dinosaurs, a Saber Toothed Tiger, and a Mastodon. Give them levels in a Psionics class and give them that power that let's them form togeather to form the Mega-Zord.

For other weapons, well, pick up a couple of blasty/beat-the-snot-out-of-you-ey Items form the DMG or MIC and go hog wild.

Nizaris
2012-06-02, 08:01 PM
I second the unarmed swordsage, blocking Desert Wind and Shadowed Hand. Give them five morphers of Psychoactive Skins of the Hero in one of five colors and Coins of Astral Juggernaut. Everyone also gets a minor artifact weapon that can be combined with the others and a Watch of Recall (they only actively teleport to the Command Center, from there Zordon/Alpha 5 teleport them where needed.)

They're actually fairly low level, just with some very serious major magic items.