PDA

View Full Version : Advice on building a Lost World/Hidden Valley setting

Macbubble
2012-06-02, 07:39 AM
Hello fellow forum members and world builders

I'm currently working on a building my first campaign setting for my upcoming stories, and D&D adventures. After asking my players which part of the world they would want to play first, they have all decided that they would like to play in a Lost world / Hidden valley kind of world.

And here starts my problem, right now I am still at the start of the creative process and I have a couple of things I would love to get some help with from the forum members.
1) I would like the valley to be filled with a lot of unique and exotic creatures so I am mostly looking for ideas, and inspiration. (If you use a premade monster, I don’t care about the stats just the looks)
2) I would like to have 3 big races that are the majority of the valley, so I would like your ideas/ reviews of the current ideas I have

The “Human” kind: something like the ancient Maya civilization.
ability wise they will have something like the shifters ability from Eberron

The “the uncivilized” kind: they are supposed to be a race of small creatures who are looked down at by almost every kind of creature, right know I plan on using the “Leashy” creatures from the Pathfinder Bestiary 2 but with some small psionic abilities.

The “big guys” kind: I don’t have any ideas about except that they will probably rule the valley.

The “king Kong monster”: The big monster from legends, who roams the valley right now it’s the Mu spore from the Pathfinder Bestiary 2.

If something isn’t too clear please say so and I’ll try to info more clear
If you want a picture to get the general feel of the world, the best picture I found was a picture from the Pathfinder gamemastery guide page 145

Thank you in advance for the help

Chesty la rue :smallbiggrin:

akma
2012-06-02, 11:55 AM
You haven`t realy described the hidden valley.
Before designing creatures, I think you should think of geography, climate, magical effects and etc, it will realy help the creation process (desert creatures would be very diffrent from forest creatures, for exemple).

As for exotic creatures, designing a template could save you a lot of work.

Also, the style and feel of the world would matter a lot. I`m guessing you would want the hidden valley to be filled with secrets, so a lot of illusions and invisible things would be appropriate. Maybe there is some sinister reason the valley is hidden?

Macbubble
2012-06-02, 01:47 PM
@akma
I appreciate your answer and yes I had a feeling I that more information will be needed, but for some reason I decided to start building in from this subject first. But to answer your question. I would describe the valley as a weird tropical jungle something along the lines of the avatar movi,e a weird place filled with alien like creatures and vegetation.The valley itself is only part of the world so it will probably have only a single kind of feel and looks, but of course some places will be filled with different creatures and vegetation. The valley is found inside of a rounded ridge of mountains, unknown to the world and vice versa. The valley will be filled with many natural "dungeons", and a lot of ancient "dungeons" presumably built by the the "Big" kind, whom right know are some kind of Yuan Ti or other snake like creatures.

I hope that information would be helpful, and I thank you for your post.

P.S I already thought of the idea of a template and I think a half fey template or some thing likewise would be nice

Mike T
2012-06-02, 03:04 PM
Dinosaurs. You need dinosaurs.

Macbubble
2012-06-02, 03:10 PM
Dinosaurs. You need dinosaurs.

Total cliché, but I cant say no to Dinosaurs and lots of them.

Mike T
2012-06-02, 03:16 PM
Exactly.

As a corollary, your "King Kong" monster needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with an allosaurus and win.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-02, 03:17 PM
This is pathfinder, right? Just going to make a 3.5 Sugesstion.

For a big monster, could always go Mountian Troll?

Also, because I like trolls, Trolls. They live underground, but they're the local equilvent of dwarves. The ruin dwelling craftsmen.

Macbubble
2012-06-02, 03:35 PM
This is pathfinder, right? Just going to make a 3.5 Sugesstion.

For a big monster, could always go Mountian Troll?

Also, because I like trolls, Trolls. They live underground, but they're the local equilvent of dwarves. The ruin dwelling craftsmen.

This isn't going to be Pathfinder for sure ,and as I said before, I don't really care about the stats of the monster that includes the system it is from. But because I am running my current group using the Pathfinder rule set, I would add that the available classes to the human" kind who would be the playable race would be Ranger ( trapper archetype or something), Barbarian, Oracle, Witch, Druid hope it will help by giving more information on the setting

P.S I love Trolls as well :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Forgot to say it will probably be E6

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-02, 05:35 PM
Check out Gormans stuff for E6, may be 3.5, but's it's awesome.

Also, about dem trolls.... heres a few custom ideas. Maybe the two surface verities battled and lost to the Yaun-ti for control of the valley.

Fallen Troll Grunt
Large Giant
1d8+5 (13hp)
AC;13 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 11, Flatfooted 11.
Speed; 40ft, climb 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +0/+8
Attack; Claw+3(1d4+4) or bite+3(1d6+6)
Full attack; Bite+3(1d6+6) and 2 claws-2(1d4+2)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; Favoured Enemy (Yaun-Ti), Rage 1/Day.
Special qualities; Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Superior Lowlight Vision.
Abillities; Str 18, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 6, Wis10, Cha 8.
Skills; Climb+4*, Listen+4, spot+4, Survival +6, Hide-2.
Feats; Power attack.
Alginment; NE
Treasure; None.
CR; 1/2

Fallen Troll Savage
Large Giant
3d8+15 (32hp)
Speed; 40ft, climb 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +2/+10
Attack; Claw+5(1d4+4) or bite+5(1d6+6)
Full attack; Bite+5(1d6+6) and 2 claws+0(1d4+2)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; Favoured Enemy (Yuan-ti), Rage 1/Day.
Special qualities; Fast healing 1, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Superior Lowlight Vision.
Abillities; Str 18, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 6, Wis10, Cha 8.
Feats; Power attack, Improved Scent.
Alginment; NE
Treasure; 1/4 coins, standard goods, no art.
CR; 2

A savage troll, who remebers when they, not the Yaun-ti ruled the valley. Or, they would rember if they weren't savage and barbaric:smalltongue: They're tough, but easy to take down.

Fallen Troll Acolyte
Large Giant
3d8+15 (32hp)
Speed; 40ft, climb 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +2/+8
Attack; Short Spear+3(1d8+2)
Full attack; Short spear+3(1d8+2)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; Favoured Enemy (Yuan-ti), Psionics.
Special qualities; Fast healing 1, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Superior Lowlight Vision, Detect Psionics at will.
Abillities; Str 14, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 14, Wis10, Cha 14.
Skills; Knowledge(Nature)+6, Nowledge(History)+6, Knowledge(Psionics)+6, Psicraft+6, Hide-2.
Feats; Improved Scent, Wild Talent.
Alginment; NE
Treasure; 1/10 coins, 1/2 gems, 1/2 goods.
CR; 3
Psionics (As Wilder of HD); ML 3rd. PP 13
Powers known; Energy Ray, Catfall.

Smarter Troll, with some psionic abillity. While just as tough in the HP department, they're deadlier due to ranged psionics.

Fallen Troll Cheif
Large Giant
6d8+30 (52hp)
AC;16 (-1 Size, +3 Dex, +4 Natural), touch 12, Flatfooted 13.
Speed; 40ft, climb 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +4/+13
Attack; Claw+8(1d4+2) or bite+8(1d6+7)
Full attack; Bite+8(1d6+7) and 2 claws+6(1d4+2)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; Favoured Enemy (Yuan-ti), Rage 1/Day, Smite Yuan-ti 2/day, Rend.
Special qualities; Fast healing 2, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Superior Lowlight Vision, Chiefs Arua.
Abillities; Str 20, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 6, Wis10, Cha 8.
Feats; Power attack, Improved Scent, Multi attack.
Alginment; NE
CR; 5
Smite Yuan-ti; Melee attack; +5 to the attack roll (Con mod) and +6(HD) to damage aginst Yuan-ti.
Rend; When Both claw attacks hit, the target is rended for 1d10+str mod extra damage.
Chiefs Arua; Arua 20ft. All allied Trolls withen the Arua gain SR5+Chiefs HD and DRX/Magic. X equals the Chiefs HD.

Fallen Troll Shaman
Large Giant
7d8+35 (63hp)
Speed; 40ft, climb 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +5/+11
Attack; Short Spear+7(1d8+2)
Full attack; Short spear+7(1d8+2)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; Favoured Enemy (Yuan-ti), Psionics.
Special qualities; Fast healing 1, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Superior Lowlight Vision, Detect Psionics at will.
Abillities; Str 14, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 14, Wis10, Cha 16.
Skills; Knowledge(Nature)+6, Nowledge(History)+6, Knowledge(Psionics)+6, Psicraft+6, Hide-2.
Feats; Improved Scent, Wild Talent, Expanded Knowledge.
Alginment; NE
Treasure; 1/10 coins, 1/2 gems, 1/2 goods.
CR; 3
Psionics (As Wilder of HD); ML 7rd. PP 48
Powers known;
1st;Energy Ray, Catfall.
2nd; Thought Shield, Concussion Blast.
3rd; Energy Bolt.

Fallen Troll Warlord
Large Giant
10d8+50 (98hp)
AC;20 (-1 Size, +3 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 12, Flatfooted 17.
Speed; 40ft, climb 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +7/+23
Attack; +1 Huge Greataxe+12 (4d6+10)
Full attack; +1 Huge Greataxe +12/+7(4d6+10 plus stuning blow)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; Favoured Enemy (Yuan-ti), Rage 1/Day, Smite Yuan-ti 2/day, Stuning Blow.
Special qualities; Fast healing 2, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Superior Lowlight Vision, Warlords Arua, powerful build.
Abillities; Str 26, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 10, Wis10, Cha 10.
Feats; Power attack, Improved Scent, Cleave, Abillity focus(Stuning Blow).
Alginment; NE
CR; 8
Smite Yuan-ti; Melee attack; +5 to the attack roll (Con mod) and +10(HD) to damage aginst Yuan-ti.
Stuning Blow; When the Warlord Hits twice in one round with it's Greataxe, the target hit must have a Fort save DC (10+1/2 Warlords HD+Str mod) or be stuned for 1d3 rounds. On a save, they're staggered for 1 round. The sample Warlords DC is 23.
Warlords Aura; Arua 50ft. The Warlords aura has all the beifits of the chiefs aura plus the following abillities. Allied Trolls in the arua gain Fire resitence equal to The warlords HD.

Will Edit in the Deep Trolls in a bit.

Deep Troll Warrior
Large Giant
12d8+60 (136hp)
AC;16 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +5 Natural), touch 11, Flatfooted 14.
Speed; 40ft, Burrow 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +9/+16
Attack; Heavy Pick +11(1d10+3)
Full attack; Heavy Pick +11/+6(1d10+3)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; True Naming.
Special qualities; Fast healing 5, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Darkvision 120ft, Stone Cunning, Know's personal Truename.
Abillities; Str 16, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 22, Wis18, Cha 18.
Skills; Concentration+20, Knowledge(Truenaming)+22, knowledge(History)+22, Knowledge(Dungeonerring)+22 Truespeak+25, Hide-2, sense motive+19, Diplomacy+19, Intimidate+19
Feats; Improved Scent, Skill Focus(Truespeak), Utterance of the Crafted Tool(2), Utterance of the Evolving Mind.
Alginment; N
Treasure; Triple Standard.
CR; 10

Truespeak ablillities;Truenamer Level 12
Lexicon of the Evolving mind; Max utternce level 4.
1st; Defensive Edge, Universal appitude, Interia Surge.
2nd; Strike of Might.
3rd; Energy Negation.
4th; Greater Knights Pussience.

Lexicon of the Crafted Tool; Max utterence level 3.
1st; Analyze Item, Keen weapon.
2nd; Weapon of energy, Terminate spell, Twist spell, Planar Gateway.
3rd; Transmute Weapon.

Lexicon of the Perfected Map; Max utterence level 2.
1st; Shockwave, Speak Rock to Mud.
2nd; Lore of the world.
They also always know the Truenames of their weapons.

Deep Troll Earthspeaker
Large Giant
12d8+60 (136hp)
AC;16 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +5 Natural), touch 11, Flatfooted 14.
Speed; 40ft, Burrow 20ft.
BAB/Grapple; +9/+16
Attack; Light hammer +11(1d8+3)
Full attack; Light Hammer +11/+6(1d8+3)
Space./Reach; 10ft./10ft
Special Attacks; True Naming, Transmutations, Arcane Secrets.
Special qualities; Fast healing 5, Scent, Vunrable to Fire, Darkvision 120ft, Stone Cunning, Know's personal Truename, Philosopher's Stone, Alchemical Companion, Item Creation, Augmented Strike+1, Enhanced Alchemy,
Abillities; Str 16, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 22, Wis18, Cha 18.
Skills; Concentration+20, Knowledge(Truenaming)+22, knowledge(History)+22, Knowledge(Dungeonerring)+22 Truespeak+25, Hide-2, sense motive+19, Diplomacy+19, Intimidate+19
Feats; Improved Scent, Skill Focus(Truespeak), Utterance of the Evolving Mind(2), Utterance of the Perfected Map.
Alginment; N
Treasure; Triple Standard.
CR; 10

Truespeak ablillities;Truenamer Level 12
Lexicon of the Evolving mind; Max utternce level 4.
1st; Defensive Edge, Universal appitude, Interia Surge.
3rd; Energy Negation, Anchor of Reality.
4th; Greater Knights Pussience, Sensory Focus.

Lexicon of the Crafted Tool; Max utterence level 3.
1st; Analyze Item,
2nd; Weapon of energy, Terminate spell, Planar Gateway.
3rd; Transmute Weapon.

Lexicon of the Perfected Map; Max utterence level 2.
1st; Shockwave, Speak Rock to Mud, Skyward Eye.
2nd; Lore of the world.
They also always know the Truenames of their weapons.

Alhemic Tranumations. They use Alchemy at 3/4 their HD.
Path of the Elemental weaver
Minior Tranumations; Jolt, Flame Barrage, Ice slick, Acid spray, Elemental cloak,
Major Transumations; Eruption, Ball lighting, Alchemical Wings, Luminescent Blast.

Highly magical, and the toughes of the bunch. Mostly because they can change up tactics and overcome most DR. Uses this truenamer fix; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120488 These guys never fought with the Yaun-ti, instead ruling their own underground kingdoms, so they havn't been shattered like thier surface cousians.

The History of the Surface Trolls in the Valley(WIP)

This, was our land. Troll land. Our rule was abosolute, our might, unquestioned! Da small ones, served, as did the temple dwellers. All bowed before us, and we were great.

Den, the serpents came.

We had known reptiles before, but they were venom and cunning! They swarmed over our walls, and turned our slaves aginst us. They broke our realms.

But We are the Trolls! We don't forget, and we never die. They want to stay here? They'll stay here forever! We gonna bury them here.

Macbubble
2012-06-03, 02:00 AM
@grimsage matr

I really like your idea of trolls versus yuan ti for it has given me a reason to have ruins, so thank you for your help :)

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-03, 02:05 AM
Ruins 101- If there's a ruling race in a area and a lot of ruins... The old ruling race lost.

On a side note, the first two and the 3.5 Troll, would have been the surface dwellers. The Deep Trolls were untouched by the conflict. But perhaps the Crag Trolls have been trying to convince them to kick the Yaun-ti out?

Also, I designed the Deep TRolls as the Drowish race of the region. They're under ground realms are still around. Thing of them as size large drow:smallbiggrin:

akma
2012-06-03, 12:14 PM
P.S I already thought of the idea of a template and I think a half fey template or some thing likewise would be nice

I meant more along the lines of a customized homebrewed template.

Total cliché, but I cant say no to Dinosaurs and lots of them.

Since you like dinosaurs, I think you would like a primal feel to the valley. External bones, huge insects, many many reptiles, savagiry, cavemen, etc. You could search photos of extinct species for inspiration.

Macbubble
2012-06-03, 12:49 PM
@ akam

What I wanted to take from t the half fey template was the looks, but I kinda like your option better more primitive less magical as that was the idea from the start so thank you :smallsmile:

Update 1:
the Trolls used to rule the valley but were exterminated by the Yuan Ti who rule it now, the only trolls left are the underground ones who rule the underground cave systems. Of course some of them are still out there but their existence is still unknown.
The Yuan Ti rule the valley right now but their time might soon come to and end.
Before the trolls time there were another race who ruled the valley but they disappeared long ago
I planned on having a major continent of the world ruled by 2 factions of gnomes who are battling each other, like every other good fanatics they came from the same ancient civilization that had a very advanced technology which is now gone. Not much is known about the ancient society just a little knowledge from the legends of the gnomes them self , but both gnomes think their way is the right way and so they fight.
The first kind of gnomes are illusionists who work with gems as a magic source, and created a dwarf like race to server them.
The second kind of gnomes are mechanics who work with the gems as well but they use it as a power core for their creations , they also have a dwarf like race but their are made out of metal not flesh.
The ancient gnomes were probably the ones who ruled the valley before the trolls, and created the trolls as manual labourer.

What do you guys think of update 1?

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-03, 01:00 PM
Idea for the Gnomes; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245132

Also, Trolls are looking good, I'll just be editing in a few. The Surface Troll Chief, the Surface Troll Shaman, the Surface Troll Warlord, and the Deep Troll Earthspeaker.

Also, there's dinos, but how bout you alter some of the dragons? Make a winged flying reptile called a proto-dragon. Idea stolen from world of warcraft.

Warpwolf16
2012-06-03, 10:37 PM
I think Mega-fauna, Mega-flora, some undead with south american origins, plenty of psionics. Possibly recreate the Sleeth from gamma world, a race of reptilian humanoids who are hyper evolved with psionic mutations.

I've ran a Lost World style game before after inspired by Marvel Comics own Savage Lands. Included several variants of humans with mutations either from exposure to alien substance from the void/dark tapestries, religion wise it was mostly primal worship of elements and totems, one cult dedicated to kaiju, the rest were either atheist or dedicated to old cults. culture wise I had it mostly primitive cultures of humans except the Mayan/Aztec based group and a group of intelligent humanoids who were part of a exploration crew who crashed and are land bound with salvaged technology.

As for psionics it would be fun, wild talents are mutations, psions are disciplined minds, wilders are over charged psychic batteries while a vitalist. Try to work in phrenic scourge/mindflayers and their ilk, good little 'things behind the courtains.'