PDA

View Full Version : Helping with a Binder

Evard
2012-06-02, 09:05 AM
Anyone who plays at Posvar in Pittsburgh then please stay out...

Also please note that only Tome of Magic Vestiges will be used, trying to stay away from tier 2 ... For now.... >:D

But yes.. The following spoilers explain everything :). Thank you in advance!

My friend is creating a Binder for an ongoing game and will be entering Knight of the Sacred Seal at the next level (7). As we read it in the book, KoSS improves the Binding ability on the class. So what I want to make sure is that if you enter at 7th level then obtain 8th level that you still gain the ability to bind 2 Vestiges at a time. I'm not sure if there was ever a errata for this or a different ruling but as I read it in the book that is one of the boons of the ability

And also about the character...

Who would be the best patron vestige? Although the player will be melee Paimon (killer dex score/AC + Agile weapon from Pathfinder) I'm wondering if there is another Vestige that would be a better patron and I should advise my friend to have Paimon be a secondary vestige. He also loves Focolar's lightning bolt and a few other Vestiges so it wouldn't be a problem to push him in another direction. The ability to not wait 5 rounds to perform an ability is pretty sweet but Dance of Death is a bit dangerous to do two rounds in a row.... Wait it says Immediately (i just checked...) does that mean you may run past the same creatures who most likely don't have combat reflexes? Ok so maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea...

Malachei
2012-06-02, 09:11 AM
It stacks with Binder levels for several benefits, including the number of vestiges you can bind.

JoshuaZ
2012-06-02, 09:39 AM
The wording of is that your class level stacks with binder for "the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher-level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind." So there's no need for a ruling here. The text is explicit.

As to the second- to some extent this may be an RP question- once one has at least two vestiges one can bind, binding to any vestige every day that is generally somewhat useful can be ok. In this context, either of them could be situationally useful, although Pamon may matter less at higher levels.

Evard
2012-06-02, 09:58 AM
Although becoming a Native Outsider is pretty cool (at this rate it will be level 11) but what does DR 10/Magic really give you?

It says in the text of perfect self (monk) about the DR...

"gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction"
- (from the SRD)

At level 11 I would guess that even the Boulder Trap from Indiana Jones would have at least a +1 or maybe even some magic property on it. It seems like DR X/ Magic is a bit weak beyond low level... However I guess falling damage won't hurt as much, unless the planet is considered a magic weapon I mean it does have magic flowing through it somewhat.... (ok... Now I want to see the planet stated out as a weapon).

Quirp
2012-06-02, 10:13 AM
AS far as I remember falling damage is not subject to damage reduction.

DR 10/magic is useful for a pact magic user, because it protects him from commoners with pitch forks.

Evard
2012-06-02, 10:35 AM
Ah yes the commoners with pitch forks ... Bastards...

A pitchfork is a short spear of sorts so 1d6 damage X2 crit.... I wouldn't give them a penalty for using it since it is used in the same general way for its common use (I grew up on a Farm btw :p ).

5 % chance of a crit

1d6 X 2

So Max damage would be 2 damage... Depending on the crit rules (rolling twice versus rolling once and multiplying... I've seen it done both ways). Either way even on a crit there is a good chance of no damage.

But wait a minute... Bluff is a class skill and charisma is a core ability ... Why wouldn't the binder "persuade" the community (small farming town) that he is a wondering wizard or to become binders too (cause they are aweeesome)?

Something fishy might be going on (A Binder vs Binder conspiracy! Where Binders don't want to many people to get the power of the Vestiges!)...

Ok no more Darth and Droids before forum time.

Sutremaine
2012-06-02, 04:31 PM
The ability to not wait 5 rounds to perform an ability is pretty sweet but Dance of Death is a bit dangerous to do two rounds in a row.... Wait it says Immediately (i just checked...) does that mean you may run past the same creatures who most likely don't have combat reflexes?
Depends whether or not the DM reads 'immediately' as 'in the same round, regardless of remaining actions' or as 'with no recharge time on the ability'. If the latter, a Belt of Battle could still be used to grant the standard action that DoD requires.

Tumble is good for running around the battlefield (and between the Dex boost and the skill bonus Paimon gives you +6), but you'll need to find a way of getting it as a class skill.