PDA

View Full Version : Tashalatora Shuriken Build

Soranar
2012-06-02, 12:57 PM
So I've been playing with the idea of using shurikens with flurry of blows + rapid shot + some form of precision damage.

At first I thought I was stuck taking monk 11 to maximize flurry of blows but it seems that the tashalatora feat saves me from having to take that many (if any) monk levels.

Which brings me to the following problem: which base class (or PrC) would benefit the most from this?

Reminder: Flurry of blows doesn't work while wearing armor which means I'd still need to dip monk (and possibly take carmendine monk to get INT synergy) to obtain WIS to AC or wear a Monk's belt. I'd also need to gain shuriken proficiency somehow, which means I might still have to take actual monk levels.

First thought:

Metaphysical weapon fixes a good part of my problems, it's a fairly low cost power that lets you enchant up to 50 shurikens at a time. Which lets you keep shurikens of different materials around for that purpose. Since it's a first level power you can also take it with hidden talent or expanded knowledge for classes without access to it.

Psychic Rogue

-Pros

Sneak attack, medium BAB, access to sneaky skills

-Cons

While it has access to the bolt power that power doesn't specify that it lets you create shurikens with it and it only creates 2d4 of them at a time

Notes:

You can still take hidden talent or expanded knowledge to take metaphysical weapon

You can also take carmendine monk (or kung-fu genius) to get INT synergy

Lurk

As above but less skills, also requires a lot of feats for sneak attack to work in ranged combat (for a feat starved build) but it lets you use sneak attack damage on undead and constructs.

Psionic Assassin

Only progresses manifesting at half the rate of a normal class but it would let me take a manifesting class with a stronger PP progression and better powers like Erudite, Psion or Ardent.

Elric VIII
2012-06-02, 02:58 PM
Just remember, 2 levels of Monk are quite good. You get 3 good saves, 3 feats, and 4+int skill points from a good list, it's just that the rest of the class sucks.

I recommend Ardent using the power Dissolving Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissolvingTouch.htm). It's less restrictive than precision damage and you have the versatility of a full manifester minus 1-2 levels, plus the fact that Ardent multiclasses well.

Soranar
2012-06-02, 03:06 PM
That power doesn't work on shurikens, only natural attacks

Crasical
2012-06-02, 03:10 PM
That power doesn't work on shurikens, only natural attacks

That's because he linked to Dissolving Touch. Dissolving Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissolvingWeapon.htm) is here, but only really says "As dissolving touch, but with weapons."

mabriss lethe
2012-06-02, 03:11 PM
Dissolving Weapon. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissolvingWeapon.htm)

Soranar
2012-06-02, 03:49 PM
Still don't see how that's supposed to help with a shuriken build.

duration: instantanious
target: 1 weapon you touch

My build, with full flurry + rapid shot + haste would have 7 attacks per round, not 1. I get that going unarmed strike would be superior with that power but that's not the point of the build, I'm trying to optimize shurikens.

Elric VIII
2012-06-02, 03:51 PM
Still don't see how that's supposed to help with a shuriken build.

duration: instantanious
target: 1 weapon you touch

My build, with full flurry + rapid shot + haste would have 7 attacks per round, not 1. I get that going unarmed strike would be superior with that power but that's not the point of the build, I'm trying to optimize shurikens.

Sorry about the fail link. The way it works is that it lasts forever until you discharge. So you apply it to as many shuriken as you can every day you have downtime and at the end of every day with left over power points, then you stickpile them. Also, remember that you can cast Metaphysical Weapon on 50 at a time.

Soranar
2012-06-02, 04:51 PM
Alright, assuming I go for a maximum PP build, Ardent (with the destruction mantle) seems like the best option as it saves me from wasting a feat for carmendine monk or kung-fu genius.

That means I need at least 10 levels of Ardent + 1 of monk for a full flurry and 16 levels of full manifesting to attain 20 with practiced manifester.

Or dip Ardent and Monk and invest in a full manifesting PrC (or nearly full).

I will not be relying on solely on dissolving touch for damage though: plenty of creatures resist it (although the same goes for sneak attack).

I guess I could go into Slayer for a full BAB build and gain an additional attack.

or stick with psychic rogue for SA and take expanded knowledge at level 9