PDA

View Full Version : Send Me An Angel [3.5, Invocations]

AmberVael
2012-06-02, 02:20 PM
The world is a troubled place. Mankind faces disease and poison, fights with desperation against the hungry dead and desperately strives against the fiends. Sometimes, the weights of the world are too great for one person to bear; raising their voices up to the heavens, the people cry for deliverance.
There are good gods in the heavens, waiting to answer them. Sometimes, they send their celestial servants- but the number of those entities is limited. So it is that many of these prayers are answered by different kind of servant: Though they are armed with the power of the divine, glowing with angelic power, they are not so different from the people they are sent to protect.
Indeed, many of them were once saved just like the people they now save.

So, a holy or celestial style warlock has unfortunately slim support, and I've been in an invocation making mood recently. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244815) This is my attempt to give the warlock some more options in that area, as well as just making some new nifty invocations. As with many of the undead invocations, most of these can be adapted to non-celestial warlocks fairly easily.

As usual, any suggestions for alterations or new invocations are appreciated!

Castigating Blast
Greater; 6th; Eldritch Essence
Imbuing your eldritch blast with holy power, you instill overwhelming fear and remorse in your enemies.
This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a castigating blast. A castigating blast deals subdual damage. Any creature struck by a castigating blast must make a Will save or cower for one round. The cower portion of castigating blast is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Circle of Peace
Lesser; 3rd
So long as you do not raise your hand against another, an aura of serenity and calm surrounds you.
When you use this invocation, any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise attack you, even with a targeted or area spell, must attempt a Will save. If the save succeeds, the opponent can attack you normally. If the save fails, the opponent can’t follow through with the attack, and that part of its action is lost. If you attack another creature while this effect is active, the invocation's effects are immediately ended, and you may not use the invocation again for the duration of the current encounter. This invocation has a duration of 24 hours.

Discerning Sight
Lesser; 4th
The eyes of heaven are not easily fooled by trickery. By using this power, you can invoke the keen eye of an angel.
When you use this invocation, your powers of perception are heightened, and you gain the ability to see through darkness and the lies of illusions. Whenever you see an illusion or disguise effect of any sort, you are entitled to a Will save or Spot check to notice it if you would normally be entitled to one, with a +4 bonus on either. On a success, you see through the effect. You need not interact with illusions or disguises to gain this benefit, visual contact is enough. In addition, while discerning sight is active, you ignore the miss chance granted by any concealment less than total concealment. This invocation has a duration of 24 hours.

Eldritch Wrath
Dark; 9th; Blast Shape
When unleashed, the anger of the divine is terrifying to behold.
This blast shape invocation allows you to invoke your eldritch blast as the divine eldritch wrath. Nine pillars of magic fall from the sky, each pillar a 5ft radius, 60ft high cylinder placed anywhere within 60ft of you. Anyone within one of these areas is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast. This is not a ray attack, so it requires no ranged touch attack. Any creature in the area can attempt a Reflex save for half damage. No matter how the areas are positioned, no creature is affected by the eldritch wrath more than once.

Eldritch Retribution
Greater; 5th; Blast Shape
Most often, holy forces do not strike the first blow. However, their righteous vengeance is swift.
When you are the target of a successful attack, you may invoke an eldritch retribution as an immediate action. If the source of the attack is within 60ft, you may make a ranged touch attack against them. On a successful hit, the target is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast, (including any eldritch essence applied to the blast).

Exorcism
Dark; 8th
The malign influence of demons and their servants works its way in deep. However, with divine power, they may be driven out.
This invocation allows you to banish unwanted creatures and mental influences. You may use either effect as a standard action, targeting one creature within 60ft plus an additional creature for each five caster levels you possess. If you choose to use the banishing effect, you may target extraplanar creatures. Each such target must make a will save, and on a failed save, they are immediately sent back to their native plane. If you choose to rid the targets of mental influences, you make a caster level check for each enchantment or mind affecting effect you wish to remove, against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect. Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect. This invocation can reverse even an instantaneous effect.

Guiding Spirits
Lesser; 4th
You have friends in high places. When you are uncertain, you may call on them to direct you towards the right path.
By spending a minute in meditation, you can commune with beneficient spirits to determine where the future will lead. The effects of this invocation are identical to the augury spell, except that each time you use the invocation within a 24 hour period, the chance of recieving a meaningful reply drops by a cumulative 20%. Also, unlike the spell, you need not provide material components or a focus.

Hands of the Healer
Greater; 5th
Those with divine influence often manifest miraculous healing abilities.
With a touch, you can remove negative effects from others. As a standard action, you can cure a person you touch of a disease or poison, or of blindness or deafness. In addition, you can also remove curses, as per the remove curse spell. Lastly, by using this invocation, you can substitute a caster level check for a Heal check.

Radiant Blast
Least; 2nd; Eldritch Essence
Light is not innately holy, but it is a potent symbol, and one often used by beneficent powers.
This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a radiant blast. If the target of a radiant blast is the subject of a spell or effect with the darkness descriptor that is of equal or lower level than your radiant blast, the darkness effect is dispelled. In addition, so long as the subject was not the subject of an equal or higher level darkness effect, the target also sheds bright light in a 20ft radius (and dim light for an additional 20ft) for 1 round per caster level. You may choose not to deal damage with a radiant blast if you desire, but if you do, you deal bonus damage equal to your charisma modifier.

Transcendent Language
Lesser; 4th
Celestial forces are often called upon to be messengers and spokesmen of higher powers. Because of this, they are granted the ability to comprehend any language, and discern falsehood.
When you use this invocation, you gain the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature (as tongues). Further, if you concentrate on a single target within 30ft, you can detect when they intentionally and knowingly lie for as long as you concentrate. A target may make a will save to resist this effect, on a success the target can lie without being detected. The invocation does not reveal the truth, detect unintentional lies or inaccuracies, or reveal evasions. This invocation has a duration of 24 hours.

Valiant Martyr
Least; 2nd
Championing a cause is not an easy task- one must be willing to fight to the very end and against all odds.
While this invocation is active, you do not become disabled or dying when you reach 0hp or below. Instead, you automatically stabilize, and can continue taking actions until you have negative hit points equal to 10 + Caster level + Charisma Modifier, but once you reach that hit point total or lower, you die. In addition, while you are at 0hp or below, you gain a +4 sacred bonus to attack rolls, saving throws, and armor class. This invocation has a duration of 24 hours.

Vivacious Blast
Least; 1st; Eldritch Essence
Anathema to the walking dead, and healing to the living, positive energies are a powerful force for the celestial forces and their allies.
This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a vivacious blast. A vivacious blast channels positive energy, dealing positive energy damage to undead creatures. A vivacious blast targeting living creatures instead cures damage equal to the damage it would deal, but never heals any given subject over half their normal maximum hit points. A vivacious blast does not effect creatures immune to or unaffected by positive energy. A vivacious blast deals extra damage equal to your charisma modifier.

Wyntonian
2012-06-02, 04:49 PM
Oh, do you know what would be cool? A paladin remix with invocations instead of spells.....

Oh, and I really like seeing both support for the warlock and awesome 'brew. This qualifies as both!

I know how annoying it is to have people just tell you "Good. I like." rather than real feedback, but honestly, I can't think of anything to say. It's all awesome stuff. I particularly like how you didn't use any objective alignment effects, because those really annoy me.

AmberVael
2012-06-02, 05:29 PM
Oh, do you know what would be cool? A paladin remix with invocations instead of spells.....
Hm, that would be an interesting possibility...

Oh, and I really like seeing both support for the warlock and awesome 'brew. This qualifies as both!

I know how annoying it is to have people just tell you "Good. I like." rather than real feedback, but honestly, I can't think of anything to say. It's all awesome stuff. I particularly like how you didn't use any objective alignment effects, because those really annoy me.

Thanks! Critical feedback is always welcome, but knowing that someone thinks I did a decent job is just as good in my book. :smallsmile:

And yeah, I'm not so fond of alignment effects either- I made a point of avoiding them here, even if it would have made it easier to work with them.

Hanuman
2012-06-02, 06:55 PM
I like both the OP and the paladin idea.
Honestly I really dislike paladins and never plan to play one, as Paladin to me at least is not a class, it's a character type, same as Scoundrel as in Complete Scoundrel.

There's a lot of arguments over the years as to what a paladin actually should be... but here's my take:

Cause:
You need a cause, whether that be divine or mundane.

Noble, Virtue:
You are a noble, you believe in certain ways and guide yourself by them.

Shield and One-Hander:
Paladins are a balance of armor and weapon, their shield is as important as their sword, their muscle as important as their mail, their conviction as important as their mercy.

Die Well:
The ultimate goal of any paladin character is ALWAYS to die in the most entertaining and emotionally satisfying way possible, whether that's bleeding to death after being shot full of arrows protecting something worthwhile, or self-sacrifice and then burned up in flames or a wall of force trap, or:

http://www.gamestreet.net/content/profiles/201/984/images/paladin_motivational_2.jpg

Amechra
2012-06-02, 09:34 PM
There is one. Here, take a look. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3053.msg94897#msg94897)

Rainbownaga
2012-06-02, 11:24 PM
Eldritch retribution seems a little powerful. Quicken Spell-like only allows use eldritch blasts 3/day and only with the weakest essences and shapes, and with this power you can apply your strongest essence and use it whenever you get attacked.And since its a greater essence you're getting it around the same time anyway.

As a dark evocation I would understand, as a greater it seems too much of a must have; even if it means enemies avoid attacking you it has achieved something substantial.

AmberVael
2012-06-03, 08:45 AM
Eldritch retribution seems a little powerful. Quicken Spell-like only allows use eldritch blasts 3/day and only with the weakest essences and shapes, and with this power you can apply your strongest essence and use it whenever you get attacked.And since its a greater essence you're getting it around the same time anyway.

As a dark evocation I would understand, as a greater it seems too much of a must have; even if it means enemies avoid attacking you it has achieved something substantial.

There are several very significant differences between Quicken Spell-Like and Eldritch Retribution.

The most notable is that while Quicken can be used on command on your turn as you desire, Retribution may only be used as a retaliatory effect on an opponent's turn.

Quicken can also be used with to differing blast shapes, like Eldritch Chain. You can even choose it for a different invocation.

The biggest thing though, is that in order to gain benefit from Eldritch Retribution, you must suffer from negative effects. If you wish to use it consistently, you must also be damaged and harmed consistently. In short, to maximize your profits from Eldritch Retribution, you must put yourself directly in harm's way and spend the currency of your own hit points, placing yourself into battle in a way that runs directly counter to many of the powers and best tactics for a warlock.

Also, compare to the Karmic Strike feat. It lets you make an AoO every time you're damaged. Eldritch Retribution does have the advantage of range, but it comes in far later in the game, is targeted at a less tanky class, and requires the more expensive immediate action to use.

With all this in mind, do you still feel that it is too powerful?

Southern Cross
2013-05-24, 12:33 AM
Actually, I've always had a problem with calling the highest grade of invocations Dark, as it implies that they are invariably used for evil purposes. How about calling good-style invocations Bright invocations?

Southern Cross
2013-05-24, 04:46 AM
After taking another look at these invocations:
Castigating Blast
Greater; 6th; Eldritch Essence
Imbuing your eldritch blast with holy power, you instill overwhelming fear and remorse in your enemies.
Actually this looks more evil than celestial...

Circle of Peace
Lesser; 3rd
So long as you do not raise your hand against another, an aura of serenity and calm surrounds you.
This is more like it>>.

Discerning Sight
Lesser; 4th
The eyes of heaven are not easily fooled by trickery. By using this power, you can invoke the keen eye of an angel.
This would be quite useful

Eldritch Wrath
Dark; 9th; Blast Shape
When unleashed, the anger of the divine is terrifying to behold.
A very powerful blast shape, especially against multiple targets.

Eldritch Retribution
Greater; 5th; Blast Shape
Most often, holy forces do not strike the first blow. However, their righteous vengeance is swift.
Probably best for vindictive players.

Exorcism
Dark; 8th
The malign influence of demons and their servants works its way in deep. However, with divine power, they may be driven out.
Another dark invocation that is quite useful against summoned creatures, as well as mind-affecting attacks.

Guiding Spirits
Lesser; 4th
You have friends in high places. When you are uncertain, you may call on them to direct you towards the right path.
The warlock's equivalent to the augury spell. Best used sparingly.

Hands of the Healer
Greater; 5th
This invocation is equivalent to several cleric healing spells, including remove curse.The caster can also substitute a caster level check for a Heal check.
Quite a useful invocation, especially if the party has no cleric.

Radiant Blast
Least; 2nd; Eldritch Essence
Light is not innately holy, but it is a potent symbol, and one often used by beneficent powers.
This invocation is quite appropriate for celestial warlocks.

Transcendent Language
Lesser; 4th
Celestial forces are often called upon to be messengers and spokesmen of higher powers. Because of this, they are granted the ability to comprehend any language, and discern falsehood.
Being able to understand any language and having the ability to detect ghosts are both rather useful.

Valiant Martyr
Least; 2nd
Championing a cause is not an easy task- one must be willing to fight to the very end and against all odds.
Probably best for a wizard/ barbarian gestalt.

Vivacious Blast
Least; 1st; Eldritch Essence
Another useful invocation that not only damages undead, but partially heals living beings.

AmberVael
2013-05-24, 09:41 AM
Actually this looks more evil than celestial...

It's a nonlethal method of dealing with an enemy that causes no lasting damage. It is a reflection of the Aura of Menace ability possessed by Archons, the high intimidate skill and cause fear spells listed in the various Angel stats.

The idea behind the effect one of awe, in the sense of wonder and dread, and a power of revelation, illuminating evil and showing it for what it is. It is the terror that a mighty avenging angel might invoke when swooping down on an enemy.

Fear is something that has been associated with mythical angels as much as it has been associated with fiends. I'd say that it is often a different kind of fear, and tends to be used in specific ways, but for the purposes of D&D, it is still fear.

DracoDei
2013-05-24, 10:15 AM
It's a nonlethal method of dealing with an enemy that causes no lasting damage. It is a reflection of the Aura of Menace ability possessed by Archons, the high intimidate skill and cause fear spells listed in the various Angel stats.

The idea behind the effect one of awe, in the sense of wonder and dread, and a power of revelation, illuminating evil and showing it for what it is. It is the terror that a mighty avenging angel might invoke when swooping down on an enemy.

Fear is something that has been associated with mythical angels as much as it has been associated with fiends. I'd say that it is often a different kind of fear, and tends to be used in specific ways, but for the purposes of D&D, it is still fear.
Sounds good to me.

So it is that many of these prayers are answered by different kind of servant:
-should be "a different kind of servant:" - IE you forgot an "a:.

With Eldritch Retribution, you need to specify that you pick the Eldritch Essence to apply in each individual case... or otherwise specify that the eldritch essence, or lack there-of is as per the last blast you fired.

RE: Previous message:
No mention of ghosts is made on the Tongues+Discern Lies thing.

ErrantX
2013-05-24, 01:14 PM
This stuff could go well my angelic invoker, the Channeler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196557). Your stuff for undeath focused warlocks could go with my Ebon Initiate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163297) as well. I like your invocations here, great names for many of them as well. I am in favor of more invoker stuff, they did not get enough love.

-X