PDA

View Full Version : (Peaches perhaps?) Legendary Nymph (3.5 Race Progression)

Cipher Stars
2012-06-02, 08:20 PM
The following class is
Tier: Cipher.
(In other words, to hell with balance as you know it)
Legendary Nymph
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/Cipherthe3vil/LegendNymph.jpg (http://rikaflare.deviantart.com/art/Ice-Nymph-96513351)
^- Click for artist.

{table=head]{colsp=6}Table: The Legendary Nymph |{colsp=10}
Spells per Day

Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|+0|+2|+2|+2| Nymph's Blood, +1 wis, Blinding Beauty 10ft |4|3|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3|+1 Dex, DR 5/magic |5|4|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|+1 Int, +2 Cha, Stunning Glance 1d4 |5|4|3|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|+1 Dex, Uneartly Grace, +4 Swim |5|5|4|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|+2 Wis, Blinding Beauty 20 ft |5|5|4|3|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|+4|+5|+5|+5|+1 Dex, +1Con, +1 Int |5|5|5|4|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|+1 Wis, DR 5/Cold Iron |5|6|5|4|3|—|—|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+6|+1 Dex, Stunning Glance 1d6 |5|6|5|5|4|—|—|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+6|+1 Con, +2 Cha|5|6|6|5|4|3|—|—|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+7|+1 Dex, Blinding Beauty 30ft |5|6|6|5|5|4|—|—|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+7| +8 to swim + take 10, Stunning Glance 2d4|5|6|6|6|5|4|3|—|—|—

12th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+8| +1 Con, +1 Int, +2 Cha|5|6|6|6|5|5|4|—|—|—

13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+8|DR 10/Cold Iron, Dimention Door 1/day |5|6|6|6|6|5|4|3|—|—

14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|+1 Dex, Stunning Glance 3d4|5|6|6|6|6|5|5|4|—|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+9|+2 Wis, Blinding Beauty 40ft|5|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3|—

16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|+1 Dex, +2 Cha, +12 Swim |5|6|6|6|6|6|5|5|4|—

17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|+2 Wis, Stunning Glance 4d4 |5|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3

18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|+1 Dex, +1 Int |5|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|5|4

19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|+2 Cha, DR 15/Cold Iron |5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|5

20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Blinding Beauty 50ft, Stunning Glance 3d6+2|5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (8 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Int modifier
Class Skills:
Balance, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Swim

Weapons and Armor proficiency:
Nymphs are profitient with simple weapons. Nymphs are not proficient with any armor, and cannot access Blinding Beauty, Stunning Glance, Spellcasting, or Unearthly Grace when wearing any armor.

Spellcasting:
The Legendary Nymph casts spells from the Druid's spell list with the spells known and spells per day as shown in the two tables, she is a spontaneous caster and can rearrange her spells known once every five levels. The Nymph uses her charisma stat to determine casting. Unless noted, a Nymph's save DCs are 10 + spell level + cha mod. In the case of spells from the Enchantment school, the DC is 15 + Spell level + Cha mod.

In addition, the Nymph gains the following spells at each given level:

0-
Daze: Humanoid creature of 4 HD or less loses next action.

1-
Charm Person: Makes one person your friend.
Hypnotism: Fascinates 2d4 HD of creatures.
Sleep: Puts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.

2-
Daze Monster: Living creature of 6 HD or less loses next action.
Hideous Laughter: Subject loses actions for 1 round/level.
Touch of Idiocy: Subject takes 1d6 points of Int, Wis, and Cha damage.

3-
Deep Slumber: Puts 10 HD of creatures to sleep.
Heroism: Gives +2 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks.
Hold Person: Paralyzes one humanoid for 1 round/level.
Rage: Subjects gains +2 to Str and Con, +1 on Will saves, -2 to AC.
Suggestion: Compels subject to follow stated course of action.

4-
Charm Monster: Makes monster believe it is your ally.
Confusion: Subjects behave oddly for 1 round/level.
Crushing Despair: Subjects take -2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
Geas, Lesser: Commands subject of 7 HD or less.

5-
Dominate Person: Controls humanoid telepathically.
Feeblemind: Subject’s Int and Cha drop to 1.
Hold Monster: As hold person, but any creature.
Mind Fog: Subjects in fog get -10 to Wis and Will checks.
Symbol of Sleep M: Triggered rune puts nearby creatures into catatonic slumber.

6-
Geas/Quest: As lesser geas, plus it affects any creature.
Heroism, Greater: Gives +4 bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks; immunity to fear; temporary hp.
Suggestion, Mass: As suggestion, plus one subject/level.
Symbol of Persuasion M: Triggered rune charms nearby creatures.

7-
Hold Person, Mass: As hold person, but all within 30 ft.
Insanity: Subject suffers continuous confusion.
Power Word Blind: Blinds creature with 200 hp or less.
Symbol of Stunning M: Triggered rune stuns nearby creatures.

8-
Antipathy: Object or location affected by spell repels certain creatures.
Binding M: Utilizes an array of techniques to imprison a creature.
Charm Monster, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
Demand: As sending, plus you can send suggestion.
Irresistible Dance: Forces subject to dance.
Power Word Stun: Stuns creature with 150 hp or less.
Symbol of Insanity M: Triggered rune renders nearby creatures insane.
Sympathy F: Object or location attracts certain creatures.

9-
Dominate Monster: As dominate person, but any creature.
Hold Monster, Mass: As hold monster, but all within 30 ft.
Power Word Kill: Kills one creature with 100 hp or less.

{table=head]{colsp=11}Table: Spells Known
Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|4|3|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|4|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|4|4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|4|4|2|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|4|4|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|4|4|3|2|2|—|—|—|—|—

8th|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—|—

9th|4|4|4|3|2|2|—|—|—|—

10th|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—

11th|4|4|4|4|3|2|2|—|—|—

12th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—

13th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|2|—|—

14th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—

15th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|2|—

16th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—

17th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|2

18th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2

19th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3

20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3

[/table]

Nymph's Blood (Ex): Only a Nymph can take this level.
LA +0 Nymph:

Racial Traits:
Fey type.
Starting ability score adjustments:
+1 Dex +1 Wis +2 Cha
Speed: Nymph land speed is 30 ft
Low Light Vision
Wild Empathy: As druid but with +6 racial Bonus
Skills: +4 to Swim, May run while swimming
Automatic Languages: Sylvian, Common

Ability bonuses (Ex): The Nymph gains the listed bonuses to her ability scores as a Racial bonus.

Blinding Beauty(Su): This ability affects all humanoids within 10 ft. Those who look directly at the nymph must succeed on a DC (10+ 1/2 HD + Cha) Fortitude check or be blinded permanantly as though by the blindness spell. the nymph can suppress or resiume this ability as a free action. This ability improves at level 5 to 20 ft, at level 10 to 30 ft, at level 15 to 40 ft, and at level 20 to 50 ft.

Stunning Glance(Su): As a standard action the nymph may stun a creature within 30 ft with a look. The target creature must succeed on a DC (10+ 1/2 HD + Cha) Foritude check or be stunned for 1d2 rounds. This ability improves at level 8 to 1d4 rounds, at level 11 to 2d4 rounds, at level 14 to 3d4, at level 17 to 4d4, and at level 20 to 3d6+2. If a nymph has already used this once already this encounter, stunning glance instead staggers them. Again, and it only gives the Shaken condition.

Skill bonuses (Ex): The Nymph gets boosts to her Swim skill as listed on the table. At eleventh level, the Nymph can always take ten on Swim checks.

Unearthly Grace(Su): A Nymph Adds Her Charisma Modifier as a bonus to all of her saving throws and as a deflection bonus to her AC

NeoSeraphi
2012-06-02, 08:28 PM
The increased DC for spells from the enchantment school doesn't really help. Druids are not known for enchantment spells, other than dominate animal and charm animal. Druids pretty much have no enchantment spells.

Cipher Stars
2012-06-02, 08:30 PM
The increased DC for spells from the enchantment school doesn't really help. Druids are not known for enchantment spells, other than dominate animal and charm animal. Druids pretty much have no enchantment spells.

Ah. I knew I was forgetting something. I was going to throw in some extra spells that the Nymphs could use.

KnightOfV
2012-06-11, 10:38 PM
This is really, really strong, even for a caster. Incredible saving throws, blinding permanently from 1st level as a free action, and bonuses to Stats every level...

I really like the concept though, and I've had players who want to play nymphs without crazy LA, so I think there are ways to bring it down to say, Druid level of power.

First, I think they should lose all class abilities if they wear armor or use a weapon. Thematically, I don't see Nymphs ever wearing armor (or much of anything :smalltongue:) or using weapons since they don't like metal and have that strong nature connection. This also gives them more flavor, and a small flaw. You can also give them a Wizard's BAB, poor fortitude save, and a d6 for hitpoints, because a nymph seems like a fragile creature.

I would also tone down the stat increases, remove them completely or maybe +1 to a stat every 5 levels. I would wait a few levels before giving them Blinding Beauty, as it is just toooo crazy for level 1. Maybe give them Unearthly Grace at level 1 instead? Oh, and Wild Empathy! They definitely need that!

Stunning Glance and the DR/ coldiron are great. I really like the spell list, concept, and picture too! Happy homebrewing.

Siosilvar
2012-06-11, 11:09 PM
Oof. Full druid casting with extra spells known, bonuses to ability scores, all good saves, 8 skill points, permanent blinding, and at-will long-duration stunning. Suffice to say, that's all crazy overpowered. As it stands, I could see this maybe being allowed in a gestalt game, taking up both sides, but even that's iffy.

The restriction on the stun is a step in the right direction; does it mean that they can only stun once per encounter? Either way, the duration needs to be at least halved and probably cut even more than that.

There's no reason at all for the full save progression or the 8 skill points (especially on such a small skill list). Good Will, poor BAB, and 2 skill points per level will suffice.

I suggest not giving out ability score increases at all. It's just not good, because you have no idea what else it'll interact with.

The DR, while not too much, is way more than is usually available. Look at the Barbarian: DR 1/- at 7th level and 1 more every three levels after that. Now, DR 2/cold iron is about the same as DR 1/-, so consider that as an alternative.

Eeeh, that's enough for now. I'll drop by a bit later.

Xefas
2012-06-11, 11:18 PM
Guys, this is totally balanced against the Lightning Warrior. I mean, it doesn't even get an Animal Companion.

Welknair
2012-06-11, 11:40 PM
So as a "Race Progression", this occupies both race and class? :smallconfused:

In any case, I agree with the general sentiment that this is exceedingly more powerful than the usual balance-level, even if they are giving up usual racial traits for it.

Cipher Stars
2012-06-11, 11:55 PM
This is really, really strong, even for a caster. Incredible saving throws, blinding permanently from 1st level as a free action, and bonuses to Stats every level...

I really like the concept though, and I've had players who want to play nymphs without crazy LA, so I think there are ways to bring it down to say, Druid level of power.

First, I think they should lose all class abilities if they wear armor or use a weapon. Thematically, I don't see Nymphs ever wearing armor (or much of anything :smalltongue:) or using weapons since they don't like metal and have that strong nature connection. This also gives them more flavor, and a small flaw. You can also give them a Wizard's BAB, poor fortitude save, and a d6 for hitpoints, because a nymph seems like a fragile creature.

I would also tone down the stat increases, remove them completely or maybe +1 to a stat every 5 levels. I would wait a few levels before giving them Blinding Beauty, as it is just toooo crazy for level 1. Maybe give them Unearthly Grace at level 1 instead? Oh, and Wild Empathy! They definitely need that!

Stunning Glance and the DR/ coldiron are great. I really like the spell list, concept, and picture too! Happy homebrewing.

This is fragile:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c0qcYXhwano/TBhkf4SmZuI/AAAAAAAAAEw/B3v8hl9XNc4/s1600/super_skinny_models.jpg

Nymphs aren't fragile... They do have good fortitude and live in great health.

They do have Wild Empathy, in Nymphs Blood.

I've removed weapon use, and disallowed armor in case a Nymph should get it through other means.

They have Average BAB, good skill points, and good saves. This IS 20 levels of epic-race, Those in the race-class are thus left to play it as they wish and not stuck as any one playstyle if they so choose it.

Siosilvar
2012-06-12, 11:38 AM
They have Average BAB, good skill points, and good saves. This IS 20 levels of epic-race, Those in the race-class are thus left to play it as they wish and not stuck as any one playstyle if they so choose it.

...which is no excuse for making something that's more powerful than a druid in the druid's own niche without clearly and specifically stating that it's not meant to be used in a normal campaign. EDIT: By the PCs, anyway.

KnightOfV
2012-06-12, 07:33 PM
This is fragile:*SCARY PICTURES*

Nymphs aren't fragile... They do have good fortitude and live in great health.

Someone needs to tell those girls that dumping their CON score is a Bad Idea. :smalleek: Sorry, I didn't mean that nymphs are weak, I just thought their hitpoints and fighting skills would be about on par with say, an elven wizard. They would still have excellent Fortitude saves with Unearthly grace.

Did not realize this was meant to be a more powerful monster race though, I thought it was for typical player-characters... sooo, never mind on the other critiques then. :smallredface: I might pull this up for myself next time I need an epic 'guardian of the forest' type boss fight.

DiBastet
2012-06-12, 10:58 PM
A Nymph should be a sorcerer-like spellcaster, using some enchantments abilities and nature spellcasting. druid spells but feeling like a squishy wizard or sorcerer.

So this nymph should have wizard BAB, d6, 6 skill points and the good saves common to all fey. trust me, i've made nymph classes before.