PDA

View Full Version : Einhander feats.

DogbertLinc
2012-06-02, 08:35 PM
Ok, playground, I've for some reason decided I'd play an one sword style Warblade.

What should I take for feats? I'm shooting for Exotic Weapon Master for good Power Attack and am lv3.

Zaq
2012-06-02, 08:45 PM
Not really. The only feats that specifically work with an einhander style tend to blow. You're better off using general-purpose feats and just trusting your maneuvers to pick up the slack.

avr
2012-06-02, 08:50 PM
Since you've a free hand you could try getting into grappling and/or disarming? Deflect arrows could be useful occasionally.

DogbertLinc
2012-06-02, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I feared there wouldn't be anything even mildly specific for this.

At the moment I'm using my off-hand to carry a torch and/or a shield. But I don't want to go into shield feats, since that would probably involve a lot of them, and lead into just a shiled basher.

Also, is Karmic Strike worthwhile for this? It's just...so many feat taxes.

Seffbasilisk
2012-06-02, 09:29 PM
Well, there's the feat Einhander...

Edit: PHB II, page 94. Requires Bab +6 and 6 ranks in tumble.

DogbertLinc
2012-06-02, 10:09 PM
Well, there's the feat Einhander...

Edit: PHB II, page 94. Requires Bab +6 and 6 ranks in tumble.

It's only good if you're a) Fighting Defensively, which I wouldn't if I followed up on Karmic Strike and even then...meh.

b)Planning on runnign away from enemies a lot, which so far I'm standng between enemies and our Tiny Rogue

or c) Have Sleight of Hand. And that's not even a class skill.

So b) is situational enough I might consider it at lv6, if I have nothing else. Which I really might not.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-02, 10:33 PM
Einhander is a pretty good feat if combined with Scarlet Corsair and/or Invisible Blade. All about feinting.

Thurbane
2012-06-03, 02:44 AM
At the moment I'm using my off-hand to carry a torch and/or a shield.
The Weapon and Torch style feat (Dungeonscape p.47) might interest you.

Averis Vol
2012-06-03, 05:30 AM
theres the single sword style from dragon compendium, combat expertise, int 13, weapon finesse ans BaB +10. if your wearing light armor with nothing in your OH you get a +2 dodge bonus to AC. its meh but its something I guess.

gorfnab
2012-06-03, 07:15 PM
Here is an Einhander build I came up with a while ago.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious.

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2

Seerow
2012-06-03, 07:54 PM
I'd recommend focusing a lot of effort into boosting concentration checks and finding a way to use the Concentration Check in place of damage maneuver every turn.

Because short of that, I don't see any way to make it work without homebrew.

Robinson
2012-06-04, 03:05 AM
I only know Pathfinder, but the style has always appealed to me.

Dervish Dance, Dex to Atk/Damage with a Scimitar, requires that you leave a hand free.

Crane Style, which improved your fighting defensively and makes you auto-negate attacks. Also requires a free hand.

The Magus, in order to Spellstrike needs a free hand to cast effectively.

I also believe that Snowflake Wardance, which lets you use inspire courage to get your charisma to your attack rolls.

I also believe the Bladesinger and Duelist prestige classes are focused around this.

Mystral
2012-06-04, 03:12 AM
In my opinion, there are no good feats for one handed combat. One handed combat is as good as the imagination of the player and the grace of the DM allows it. After all, you can only do all those nifty combat maneuvers like swinging on a chandelier, hanging on a rope or throwing random stuff at your opponent if you have a hand free. Work something out with your DM, maybe a tactical feat "Combat tricks" that formalises it.

DogbertLinc
2012-06-04, 09:43 AM
The DM is actually quite open to PF, so that may be something to look into.

And my options seem to be either fighting defensively, or taking general feats and Diamond Mind strikes. I plan on going with the latter, and retraining into Karmic Strike later, if I feel like it'll work.

With a Dex14 and Cha12, I can't really do any Finesse styles or Snowflake Wardance and Bladesinger sounds plausible if I can make it work. (If I remember the class right, I get more from straight Warblade).

Thank you all, this is looking better.