PDA

View Full Version : War Never Changes (Except When It Does) [3.5, Doloris]

Falconknight06
2012-06-02, 10:29 PM
Deloris (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=405917)

You brush the dust off yourself as you stand outside the inn you've just been thrown out of. You had been staying there for the past few days, working as a bouncer in exchange for room and board as you tried to figure out where to go next. The villagers of Arent's Crossing begin to form a circle to watch the fight they're sure is about to happen.

A large human man walks out the door Deloris had just exited, laughing drunkenly as he says whatch ya gonna do now wee elfling? You think ya got the globes ta kick me out of tha bar? Ya can't even stay on yer feet. So come on! Bring it as he begins to circle around the elf, making a gesture easily deduced as meaning "bring it on."

OOC
You've got initiative, and he is unarmed. You do know you're job is to get riff-raff out of the bar, so as long as you don't kill this guy, no law would be on your tail for doing your job. All you know about this guy is that he is very strong, and drunk

Vladislav
2012-06-02, 11:08 PM
You know, Deloris says, getting on one knee and dusting himself off, I don't like fighting. All this violence is really cramping my style. I just pretended to be beat, so she can get behind you.

Before anyone can wonder who she is, the Elf puts two fingers in his mouth and whistles sharply. From above, a dark shadow falls on the brawler's shoulders. Daria the Dire Bat, until moments ago circling the skies above Ardent's Crossing in search for small birds to hunt, joins the fray at her master's command.

Free action: command animal companion
Daria charge attack [roll0] touch to initiate grapple
Grapple check [roll1]

I'll post my own action once I see if she's successful

Falconknight06
2012-06-03, 02:04 AM
The man lets out a yelp of fear as the bat begins to bite at him and seems to have successfully grappled with the large man. The crowd lets out a gasp, and a few of the villagers go running off in fear at the sight of any bat, let alone a large one. The innkeeper appears at the in door, behind a large group of villagers, and gives you a look asking you not to drag this on too long.

Man is grappling with your bat now

Vladislav
2012-06-03, 02:47 AM
Restricted slightly, are we not? Deloris smirks and jabs a thin finger at the man. Dark energy coalesces around his hand, ready to be released. Now fall on your knees and apologize, or I'll tell her to fly straight up and see what size of pancake you'll make when dropped fron hundred feet.

Dire Bats aren't actually capable of lifting that kind of load, but maybe a random village drunk doesn't know that

Bluff or Intimidate, whichever applies, [roll0]

Also, readying in action to Blast him if he does anything hostile (+9 touch attack, 2d6+1 damage)

Falconknight06
2012-06-04, 02:17 PM
I'll not be bested by a blasted elf the man will say, punching at the bat with all of his strength

[roll0]
[roll1]

The man seems undeterred by the threats of being dropped. It seems as if he realizes the bat lacks the strength to lift his large frame

Vladislav
2012-06-04, 02:25 PM
You hurt my pet? It's on. The hard way.

Deloris launches a blast of dark energy into the man's fat belly, while Daria attempts to bite his neck.

[roll0] touch attack, damage [roll1] (yay Precise Shot and Point Blank Shot!)
Daria attack [roll2] damage [roll3]

Falconknight06
2012-06-05, 04:18 PM
The bat's fangs scratch the mans leather jerkin, but fail to penetrate his armor, but the blast of energy from the elf strikes the man in the back and he yells in pain as he pitches to the ground and lies unconscious, knocked cold from the blow.

The man is stable at -8 HP. You're lucky you didn't hit with both, or this might have been a bit different of a game

Vladislav
2012-06-05, 04:28 PM
What an idiot. Can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen, and most certainly don't start anything with the cook. Daria girl, it's okay to let go now.

The man was a jerk, that's true, but no death penalty should be assigned for that. Deloris touches his slowly-rising chest, and his breath becomes steadier, more measured. He then takes the time to take care of his Bat, who so valiantly came to his defense.

Cure Minor Wounds on the man, to stabilize him, and expend one charge from the Healing Belt on Daria [roll0]

He looks at the other villages and the innkeeper. Does this miscreant have any friends? Feel free to take him home. He'll live. Daria, up and away. With the Bat returning to its hunt, Deloris is ready to reenter the tavern and resume his duties.

Falconknight06
2012-06-07, 12:25 AM
A woman, equally as large as the man comes forward saying serves tha bastard right for acting like a fool. Glad you dinna kill im though. As dumb as he can be, he's still me husband and she carries the unconscious man back towards a nearby house as the gathered crowd disperses.

The inn seems to have returned to normal after the fight outside, and the bartender motions for Deloris to come over to the bar, offering the elf a bottle of Halfling Ale as thanks for letting the rowdy man live. I don't need people dyin outside my doorsteps, even if they seem to deserve it. So, you've never told me how someone so powerful ended up in this hole in the wall town. Mind spinning that yarn for me while I clean the glasses?

Vladislav
2012-06-07, 12:56 AM
To your health. Deloris downs a glass. Don't shortchange this place, it may be a hole, but the ale is good. Where did you get this from, this is good stuff... but enough about you. How did I end up here? Well, as usual, there was a woman. Forces of nature and society conspired to keep us apart. You know what it's like. Well, maybe you don't. Enough to say, crushing disappointment ensued, and here I am. On the account of here not being there.

He reaches for the bottle to get another round, then asks, Did that make any sense? Because if not, I can gladly elabrorate ... erablora ... erlatorba ... say it again.

Falconknight06
2012-06-08, 09:05 PM
Makes perfect sense ta me. Most stories in this place seem to start with a woman. As for the ale, Quickfingers in town brews it. He is quite the talented little Halfling, especially when it comes to brewing the bartender will say, as he continues to clean glasses, and the evening crowd in the inn begins to thin as they head home.

Vladislav
2012-06-09, 02:55 AM
You can get the elf out of the forest, but you can't get the forest out of the elf. Deloris snorts, Quickfingers, eh? I bet he's a thief or a pickpocket. Most halflings are. Suddenly he realizes it's another man's words coming out of his throat. Sorry, I didn't mean to... It's just what my father used to say. I don't know why I'm suddenly ... anyway, you don't want to know what he used to say about half-Orcs. And humans. Why they call him Quickfingers anyway?

Falconknight06
2012-06-11, 01:03 AM
The barkeep seems taken aback for a moment at the outburst from the elf, but the apology seems to smooth over any misgivings,Quickfingers used to be a rogue in some adventuring party a long time ago, back before the war started. He's been retired for about ten years now, but you know how nicknames stick. Ya might think about visitin' him some time. He's always got some mighty fine tales to tell.

Vladislav
2012-06-11, 03:12 PM
Adventurer, eh? Deloris recalls his own adventuring days, although, truth be told, they mostly consisted of bar fights such as this last one, and a random animal attack thrown in for a good measure. Done some 'venturing myself. Would be good to compare notes.

He downs another drink, then asks, smiling, so, any other secrets this town has? That man's wife is actually a mighty witch? Anything else I need to know?

Unless the innkeeper has something outstanding to say, Deloris rises, staggering, and is ready to retire for the night. He'll visit Quickfingers next morning. If he's not too hungover. Daria is instructed to sleep on the tavern's roof, where she made a makeshift nest of branches and leaves.

Falconknight06
2012-06-20, 04:37 PM
Deloris awakes to a sun that shines despite its not helping his hangover from the night before. It seems to be about nine or ten in the morning, and as Deloris knows, his shift doesn't start until six or seven at night, so he has plenty of time to visit the former Halfling adventurer.

Vladislav
2012-06-21, 02:28 AM
Exiting into the street, Deloris squints against the sun for a moment, until he spots Daria's silhoette sweeping across the morning sky. She's there, hunting. He crosses the town and knocks on the brewer's door. If the halfling is available, Deloris will congratulate him on the ale. Mighty fine brew you make, really makes the hangover last. Powerful stuff. May I come in?

Falconknight06
2012-06-24, 12:37 AM
A hangover you say a halfling man of roughly four feet, dressed in a fine set of well worn adventuring gear, will say as he answers the door I've got just the thing for hangovers. He will beckon Deloris into his house, a smell of brewing beer and baking bread hitting the elf's nostrils.

Vladislav
2012-06-25, 08:06 PM
Deloris follows, wobbling on his feet only slightly. The beer, I get, but what's with the bread? He wonders to himself.

Falconknight06
2012-06-28, 01:31 PM
Take a seat at the table the Halfling will say as he moves to a small cupboard off to the side of the room. He pulls various vials off of the wall and and begins to mix their contents with a mortar and pestle, then adding some of his beer to make a thick liquid in a small cup. He places the odd smelling mixture in front of the elf, and says drink this and you should feel better. A mix of my own design, with some help from an elven druid and a dwarven cleric. The halfling then goes to a larg oven on the wall and pulls two loaves of bread, setting them on top of a large repurposed wooden stump to cool. He then sits across from the elf, asking so, any other reason ya came to visit a retired adventurer? Did ya come about the map?

Vladislav
2012-06-29, 11:20 AM
Deloris sniffs the mixture he was handed and frowns at the smell. Such unsavory aroma ... he holds it reluctantly in an outstretched hand.

Did ya come about the map?
Yes, Deloris replies, not missing a beat. What do you know about that?

bluff [roll0] if relevant

Realizing he's going to need all the mental capacities he can get this morning, Deloris empties the vial in one gulp.

Falconknight06
2012-07-02, 12:25 PM
Yer a bad liar son the Halfling will say with a grin, but ya got the curiosity needed in an adventurer, so perhaps you'll be the one to find it. The Halfling moves to a desk to the side of the room, and pulls out a map and lies it unfolded on the table and says the one treasure I was never able ta get was the chalice of dragon rider. It is a goblet of exceedingly beautiful craftsmanship, made from pure sapphire. It is said to lie in the tomb of a legendary dragon rider, in the heart of the worldspire mountains. I've been offering a copy of the map to any adventurer who wishes to try and get the goblet. The usual fame and riches await whoever retrieves it. So, ya want ta take a shot at getting it?