PDA

View Full Version : Magus/Alchemist [PF]

Valdras
2012-06-03, 01:00 AM
What does everyone think about Multiclassing an Alchemist (Vivisectionist) and Magus (Black Blade) together?

I like the sneak attacks, plus the extra utility from the mutagen plus extracts.

I was using a trait to add stealth as a class skill, but I wasn't sure if these mix well at all.

I've only had one game of Pathfinder before, so very much a noob. lol

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-03, 10:47 PM
It's a very bad idea.

PF is not a good system to multiclass in, too much stuff is level-based, and both of those classes are "casters" (quotes cause alchemist is an odd little duck).

I'd suggest picking one and just playing that class, then try the other some later game.

grarrrg
2012-06-03, 10:59 PM
Basically what he said.

There is really no synergy between the classes (yes both are INT based 'casters', that's about it).

If you insist, then I'd only go with 1 level of Vivisectionist (or Rogue), and that'd just be to get 1d6 Sneak Attack.

OR if you're thinking more "Alchemist Main Class" then drop Magus altogether.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-06-03, 11:05 PM
I could maybe see going Alchemist 2 for an extra arm to keep free so you can wield your sword in 2 hands (it would have to be a 1H weapon and not a 2H one, per spell combat's very strict text, though) for the extra strength and power attack bonus and still have an arm free. Or so you could use a metamagic rod and a weapon and still have a hand free.

But even so, not worth the lost progression.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-03, 11:05 PM
I agree with it not being worth it. Maybe if there was a theurge prestige class to make it work, but otherwise there isn't much synergy beyond 'Hey, we both use Intelligence for stuff!'.
Fun fact: Vivisectionist Alchemist can get into Arcane Trickster single classed with the Two-World Magic trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/two-world-magic). Not that it's the worlds best idea, but it can be done.

Valdras
2012-06-03, 11:21 PM
Hmm. I'll stick straight Magus.. well Magus Hexcrafter/Bladebound anyway.

With a sword cane :)