PDA

View Full Version : Men in Black III

Jeivar
2012-06-03, 06:32 AM
I hated the second film and I felt it kneecapped the premise' potential as a great franchise. I didn't really intend to see the third, but I was surprised by the high scores it's been getting. And having nothing in particular to do later today I WAS going to see it when I noticed it's directed by the very same fella who did MIB: 2.
It kind of stopped me in my tracks.

So, fans of the first film . . . how is it?

Fjolnir
2012-06-03, 06:42 AM
I was curious about one thing with regards to this movie, J is sent back in time to a point when segregation is still the law of the land, do they make any reference to it or is it just handwaved away?

AtlanteanTroll
2012-06-03, 08:50 AM
Sort of, not really. He's in 69 and in the north for the most part so it isn't that big of an issue. Race is brought up.

I went in, well, with low expectations. As did most people I went to go see it with. We unanimously agreed it was better than the second film, and people couldn't decided whether it as good as or better than the first.

Makensha
2012-06-03, 11:17 AM
I felt it was ok (if you can look over a few plotholes), but I didn't feel it was worth full ticket admission price.

Xondoure
2012-06-03, 01:54 PM
I really enjoyed it. They did some fun things with time travel. A few paradoxes but they avoided my pet peeve of people changing time and then being all bewildered that time changed. (Yes there was bewilderment, but it was understandable bewilderment... if that makes any sense.)

Fragenstein
2012-06-04, 01:08 PM
A little slow in the middle, but largely an awesome rebound from the crap that was the second movie. Griffin may be the most entertaining MiB character scripted to date, in my opinion.

Mewtarthio
2012-06-04, 01:53 PM
Far better than the abomination that was the second movie, no contest. As for how it measures up to the first: I know a couple of people who liked the first movie who didn't like this one. My sister's boyfriend loved the first movie and hated this one. I'd say that MIB III is not a bad movie by any means, though it doesn't quite live up to the original. That being said, the original set the bar really high. The third movie's still an entertaining ninety minutes, but don't expect another instant classic.

I was curious about one thing with regards to this movie, J is sent back in time to a point when segregation is still the law of the land, do they make any reference to it or is it just handwaved away?

A few references. It's hardly a major plot point, though.

Omergideon
2012-06-04, 03:05 PM
A thoroughly entertaining film for the most part. The guy playing young K did a fantastic job, probably the highlight of the movie. He was serious and funny in equal measure when needed. And a few scenes had the kind of dramatic and emotional weight that we needed for a film like this.

I thought the villain was somewhat underdeveloped, and Will's wisecracking could occasionally grate, but these are relatively small complaints.

So Much, Much, MUCH better than 2. However it is not as good as the first by any means. Then again the first was fantastic so this is not a real problem.

Fjolnir
2012-06-04, 05:10 PM
A few references. It's hardly a major plot point, though.

That's fine, I just was hoping that it would be referenced, even if it were slightly humorously handwaved would be enough...

Seraph
2012-06-04, 05:46 PM
The first MIB was one of the greatest movies of the 90's, there's really not much III could have done to live up to it.

However, it is FAR better than 2, for several reasons. For instance, it completely abandons 2's overuse of extended tiresome gags and "fan appeal" bit characters (Frank and the Worms only show up in one scene), and in general the humor is a lot tighter and quicker paced. The plot has a few holes, but nothing that will really interrupt your enjoyment of the movie unless you go in actively looking for reasons to hate it.

Also, Josh Brolin is alarmingly good as young Tommy Lee Jones. I was also somewhat surprised to find that the actor for the villain was not, in fact, Tim Curry, as he had the voice down perfect.

EDIT:

I WAS going to see it when I noticed it's directed by the very same fella who did MIB: 2.
It kind of stopped me in my tracks.

why would that be enough to stop you? Barry Sonnenfeld directed MiB 2, yeah, but that's because he directed the first one. AND the first two Addams Family movies, so I'd say he's still got credit to his name.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-04, 07:01 PM

I heard they do. I haven't seen the film, but I heard there's at least one scene where it's brought up.

As for the quality, I've heard it's been than the second (which I hated) and is worth watching.