PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Recommended Books

hoverfrog
2012-06-03, 07:55 AM
Hi. I've picked up the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting and the Bestiary. As father's day is approaching my kids asked if there is anything that I need (nope) or anything that I want (lots of stuff). A pathfinder book would improve my collection but I really don't know which one would be best.

So, if you please, would you be so kind as to suggest a Pathfinder book for me and tell me why it would be an indispensable addition to my collection.

Thank you muchly. :elan:

horngeek
2012-06-03, 07:57 AM
Advanced Player's Handbook, probably. Contains a bunch of neat additional stuff. Especially traits, which can be a great way to tie characters into a campaign (and every Adventure Path Pazio's released after the APH contains traits specifically for that Adventure Path). But it also has some cool additional base classes.

Keneth
2012-06-03, 08:45 AM
I'd say Advanced Player's Guide as well.

Novawurmson
2012-06-03, 10:48 AM
APG. Ultimate Combat and Ultimate Magic expand a lot on what the APG throws down; what's the point in getting a book with archetypes for excellent classes such as the Alchemist, Oracle, or Inquisitor when you don't even have base rules for them?

Roxxy
2012-06-03, 11:09 AM
I would also recomment the Gamemastery Guide. It's useful for a new gamemaster.

navar100
2012-06-03, 11:20 AM
Ditto Advanced Player's Guide. It offers nice new classes, interesting archetypes for all classes (swapping class features for others) just for variety and as an interesting alternative to prestige classes, and new good feats.

Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat are alright, but they're best for when you just want to splurge for the sake of splurging. You don't lose out on anything not having them for awhile.

Alefiend
2012-06-03, 12:17 PM
Nthing what everybody else has said. If you'd rather take a little more control over what you wind up with, why not browse the Pathfinder SRD? all of the Paizo stuff is there, as well as 3rd-party content, so you should be able to see what appeals to you most.

Blisstake
2012-06-03, 02:06 PM
If you like having books handy, then the APG. Keep in mind, pretty much all of the information is available through the PF SRD (d20.pfsrd.com). On the other hand, if you're like me, and don't like having computers out at the gaming table, then it's an excellent tool, as well as the Bestiary 2 and 3.