PDA

View Full Version : Build Help: Noctumancer and Telflemmar (3.5)

Valixes
2012-06-03, 10:35 AM
So whilst these builds will never be used in a game, so thus everything from any book or source is allowed - including the fixes to Shadowcaster. I was wondering if the playground has any knowledge to shed on these two prestige classes.

For the Noctumancer from tome of Magic, the problem is applying for the class as early as possible - with as few levels in wizard or shadowcaster as possible. Early entry is all I'm having problems with. I need to be able to cast 2nd level mysteries and 2nd level arcane spells, and be at least level 3 due to skill rank requirements.

For the Telflemmar shadowlord, the challenge is different. I want a teleport for every action by level 20 to abuse Shadow Pounce as best as it can be abused - preferably spammable, reusable-in-combat teleports. Of note is the mystery Flicker, which grants an immediate action teleport for a few rounds - but other than that I have no idea what other teleports are available.

EDIT: And no flaws, I don't like flaws. Personal preference.
EDIT2: Raskly R.

Zilzmaer
2012-06-03, 12:08 PM
Wizard 1 with Precocious Apprentice and Shadowcaster 3 will get you into Noctumancer. Flicker is a 3rd level mystery, and uses your swift/immediate action for several rounds. Dimension Jumper, from CMage, is a 5th level spell that takes your move action for several rounds. Bind Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest), from MoI, takes your standard action, but leaves you no actions afterwards because it's 'as dimension door'.
If you're willing to sacrifice a couple levels of Noctumancer or Telflammar Shadowlord, you can easily meet the sneak attack prerequisite with a dip in two of Rogue/Spellthief/Ninja/SAFighter/Rokugan Ninja/Assassin/anything granting sneak attack or sudden strike a first level.

So an unoptimized look would be Human Wizard 1/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 8/Rogue 1/Assassin 1/Telflammar Shadowlord 6. Feats:
H Blind-Fight
1 Precocious Apprentice
3 Dodge
6 Mobility
9 Spring Attack
12 Bind Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest)
15 open
18 open
If you need to (I didn't check the skill reqs), you can push everything except Precocious Apprentice to a later slot and take Able Learner as your human bonus feat.

Malachei
2012-06-03, 05:25 PM
Strictly, wizard with precocious apprentice alone will not get you in, because precocious apprentice gives you a single 2nd level spell, which you can cast once per day. The requirement is "ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" (note the plural).

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-03, 05:40 PM
Wizard 1 with Precocious Apprentice and Shadowcaster 3 will get you into Noctumancer. Flicker is a 3rd level mystery, and uses your swift/immediate action for several rounds. Dimension Jumper, from CMage, is a 5th level spell that takes your move action for several rounds. Bind Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest), from MoI, takes your standard action, but leaves you no actions afterwards because it's 'as dimension door'. *snip*

I believe you're referring to Bind Soulmeld (Blink Shirt), which is based off of a Blink Dog. Strongheart Vest is (questionably) used in some Hellfire Warlock builds to negate the Constitution damage.