PDA

View Full Version : Headset Advice?

Kizara
2012-06-03, 11:31 AM
I am really tired of having my headsets and mics break all the bloody time.

Other then getting dropped or having the cord tugged on occasion I don't do anything weird to them but they last a few months and then I have to replace them; it's expensive and tiresome.

So, I ordered a Steelseries Siberia v2 online a little ways back, thinking I'd get an expensive, popular headset and stop having to worry about it. I was initially pleased but it has also broken now, first the mic went out then a few months later one of the earpads.

SO, I am looking AGAIN to buy a need headset.

- Something in the <$200 pricerange, around $100 would be nice.

-I am not an audiophile, I want something that works well with games/music, has good bass etc but the finer points of awesome are lost on me and I don't care that much about the best possible sound quality as long as its decent.
-DURABLE. I am bloody SICK of having to replace these stupid things all the time. The rest of my peripherals/computer lasts for years, I want headsets that do so as well.
-Has a GOOD MIC. I use my headset for voice chat constantly, I am not using a stand mic or something else, I want a on-headset mic that wont break from normal/slightly rough use and picks up sound well and not background sound and such.
-comfortable, closed OVER-EAR (something about my ear shape means I can't wear earbuds) style. One thing I'll say about the siberia v2 was that it was certinally very comfortable.
-Doesn't cost a fortune to ship to Canada (include in pricerange considerations).

I have looked at a bunch of resources but I have found them to be difficult to get a useful recommendation out of that has everything I need.

I was hoping some of the knowledge folks over here at GITP could give me a hand. Hopefully something like "I've used X for years, it works great and has the features you want" instead of "I just got these and I love them" because this happens to me all the time, but then they break 3 months later... :(

Karoht
2012-06-04, 11:33 AM
I use 30 dollar logitech headsets I get from Walmart or Best Buy.
They tend to last about 2 years before they start experiencing issues.

Erloas
2012-06-04, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't spend anywhere near $100 on a headset.

I bought a couple for my brother's game shop and they've all worked for a year, though not with real heavy use, it has been with random people. The over ear type which most people prefer (as we picked up 2 different types)... I think were logitech but I would have to check for sure. I don't use the mic much but it seemed perfectly fine when I do.

And maybe 3-4 months ago I bought some KOSS ones for at home. They are the large over-ear design and the sound quality is good, though I don't know if I've ever used the mic. Since at home most of the time I'm using speakers and a desk mic rather then a headset. As for longevity, that was specifically why I bought KOSS as I have had good luck with the headphones I had purchased from them previously, as in they still work I'm just replacing them because the material is falling apart on them, but considering they are probably almost 15 years old.

I bought both from Amazon, which I'm sure ships to Canada. And you could buy 4-5 at the same time for what you are looking to spend, so even if one goes out after 6 months by the time you go through all 4-5 of them you've had 2+ years worth of use.

Gijora
2012-06-04, 02:50 PM
I have a Logitech G3300 headset, and it works like a charm; even with near daily use (I'm a raider, so vent is kinda a requirement).

It cost me less than $100, and it's still going strong over a year later. Fair warning, it's a wee bit uncomfortable, but I got used to it.

that's my 2 cp.

Rawhide
2012-06-04, 07:19 PM
I use $15 Verbatim headsets. Comfortable, work well, allow me to hear the noise around me (I don't want block out style headsets as I usually like to hear the stuff around me), and cheap. If I step on them, I just buy another.

SDF
2012-06-04, 08:32 PM
Certain people just seem to go through equipment. I'd take Rawhide's advice and go the dollar store sunglasses approach.