PDA

View Full Version : Threefold Mask of the Chimera

willpell
2012-06-03, 11:52 AM
This is a nice soulmeld all by itself, and perhaps I shouldn't mess with it. But it annoys me that the totem bind ability doesn't have any essentia-dependent effects, and it also annoys me that the lion head does the same damage as the goat head. So I thought about a modified version; tell me if you think this sounds overpowered.

"You can use the heads of your threefold mask to make natural attacks. The lion head bites for 1d8 points of damage, the goat head gores for 1d6 points of damage, and the dragon head spits acid which deals 1d4 points of damage at a target within 30 feet.. As a standard action, you can attack with any one of these heads, applying your full Strength modifier as a bonus on your damage roll (with the lion or goat head). As a full attack action, you can attack with all three heads, applying your full Strength modifier on both melee damage rolls. Alternatively, as part of a full attack, you can make a secondary attack with one head at a –5 penalty, applying only one-half your Strength modifier as a bonus on your damage roll (with the lion or goat head). Each point of essentia invested in the meld adds a +1 competence bonus to the lion head's damage roll, a +1 competence bonus to the goat head's attack roll, and +10 feet to the range of the dragon head's acid spit."

Kymme
2012-06-03, 01:47 PM
Yup, seems pretty balanced to me. Also, incarnum needs more support.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-03, 01:55 PM
You might want to change the wording a bit, because as written you add your Str bonus even if you use the dragon head to spit acid, which IMO doesn't make sense; unless that is what you were going for.

willpell
2012-06-04, 02:27 AM
No, that was unintended. I'll fix that, even though it will leave the acid spit really weak at just a flat 1d4. It's still a free ranged attack while you're also meleeing, that might be enough.