PDA

View Full Version : AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

Pages : 1 [2]

Winterfell
2012-10-29, 09:03 AM
Firstly, yes Estanos was unable to convince Viktor not to take the gear. That does not mean that I was somehow roleplaying wrong (if there is any such thing). Viktor presented IC reasons for doing so which, in my opinion, are not unfitting for him. Note also that Viktor is a character who I try to play as a rounded individual, not make his decisions based on a class-alignment combination.

Secondly, I'm not sure what to make of the fact that you created an issue out of thin air and now are insisting on pursuing it into the future. You are essentially saying that if the four of us do not do as you (or Estanos?) want, you will throw an IC tantrum, and maybe an OOC one too. I think you need to ask yourself what the big deal is with a sword.

Thirdly, at least try not to carry your feelings about one scene into another. This is kind of an important moment for Ilya. Not trying to say that you can't be involved, quite the opposite, I was trying to get everyone involved. But it isn't fair to disrupt a major moment of RP over a masterwork bastard sword.

Fourthly, as concerns WBL, I'm not a fanatic about keeping up with it, but when the DM offers you some, there's not reason not to take it. Come up with an IC reason why your character would. Maybe that's just a philosophical difference.

Blisstake
2012-10-29, 09:19 AM
Morality/Ethics is a complicated subject, and for everyone's benefit I won't get into my personal opinion on the matter, but I guarantee it will be different than many of you. This is fine; morality isn't black and white, and that holds true even in a world where deities, demons, angels, and the afterlife are proven to exist.

That said, I am not Tireas, and his actions/views are not necesarily reflective of my own. But he has his own viewpoint just like the rest of our characters, and this will likely cause conflict at a few points. And there will be many times when Tireas or any other character doesn't get what they want out of a given situation. For the most part, he wanted to kill Merrin after they interrogated him, but he was outvoted, and Merrin has since become a temporary member of the party, which is a pretty cool outcome. Tireas doesn't agree with burning down the tents either, but this may also have an interesting outcome in the long term.

In fact, personal conflicts sometimes make for the most memorable moments. I have a character in a separate PbP who witnessed his parents' execution, had to fight his mind-warped sisters that were inflicting a plague in the city, and constantly comes in to disagreement with other members of the party, especially regarding what to do with surrendering enemies. These events have shaped him as a character, and I think made for some memorable encounters in the adventure. I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes it's better to embrace character differences. We can get mad IC, but OOC, let's all just relax and make some good stories and characters.

Leviathan
2012-10-29, 10:02 AM
I think healthy suspension of disbelief is the best way to deal with the particular issue of the bastard sword. We offered reasons for taking it from the tomb. Now forget about where we got it from and go about our business until we melt it down for gold in the OOC thread a page or two from now. Trust me, I played a priest a lot like Estanos in a now long-dead Kingmaker game ages ago with RocketMan. He was an greedy little halfling barbarian who would steal whatever she could get her hands on because it would 'bring Zora much honour.' My character didn't approve, but, I recognized that having Zora in the party was useful: sometimes I didn't feel I could justify my character agreeing to take a particular piece of loot IC, even though I wanted us to take it OOC. So I'd sit back a little and let Zora go about her business, maybe offer up a complaint, but then let it drop. And I'd end up with the loot I wanted, thanks to Zora.

But from what I'm reading, and reading-in, I think the situation is more problematic than that. In this scene we're playing out now, we've had really good roleplaying generally, and it's a pivotal moment for all of us, but especially Ilya and Viktor, that I think we're handling really well. So I am, to borrow a phrase from OMG, 'utterly flabbergasted' when Estanos' contribution to the scene doesn't mention at all his response to Ilya's revelation that he's the Prince. I'm deeply concerned that the major roleplaying opportunity was ignored in favour of being combative and posting a litany of 'disgusted' and 'furious,' 'dumbfounded,' etc. It feels like emotions are at a point where it's so heated that there's absolutely no separation between IC and OOC.

I'm concerned also because it seems like this is recurring. Back after we killed the bandits at Oleg, there were some comments by OMG in the OOC thread that made me concerned that he wasn't happy with the IC direction of things. It seems like that issue has come back with a vengeance.

Oh My God
2012-10-29, 02:48 PM
I'm writing this post from my phone, so apologies in advance for any sense of shortness or brevity conveyed. It is an artifact of the medium and mode.

To dispense with something right off the bat: Of course Winterfell didn't do wrong in having Viktor act as he did. Of course he can play his character however he wants. I'm not even sure where that came from.

Though speaking on that, where exactly is it that how I play -my- character is being dictated to me? He's just received a major revelation from someone he trusted just one day after that trust was shaken rather severely. The old saying," When it rains, it pours," comes to mind. He's trying to cope with the situation, and help his friend out of his jam despite the repeated breach of trust.

Estanos doesn't seem to have a response to Ilya's revelation? What? His reaction? It starts in the first sentence of the IC post. He's dumbfounded and disgusted. Utter shock. If there were a one-word sound bite for it, it would be David Tennant saying," what " in a flat voice.

It might be different in a different setting; it might be different if the recent history were different. But it's not, and it isn't. A campsite is on fire, lies happened and it feels like he's about to have to make another decision where his morals are compromised.

My unhappiness after Oleg's was massive. I felt alone, ignored, and unimportant. I hadnt been needed in combat, I felt mocked, and like you all were already a group. AA and I talked some, I felt reassured and I've vastly enjoyed the game since then.

This is a simple thing, a small thing in comparison. A large part of the problem seems to be -others- not being able to tell my emotions from my character's. -Estanos- is pissed. I'm sad he failed to convince anyone of anything yet again, but I'm game. Onwards and upwards.

As to the entire business of how to handle the broadsword and WBL and money issues, I have more to say. In short, my TT GM made a -point- of dappling the world with awesome loot we couldn't ethically take. He thought it was interestjng and funny watching us hop from foot to foot. My first instinct on seeing unguarded stuff is to narrow my eyes and think, hard.

I am always trying to think of solutions to problems. I am always trying to think of ways to make it all work. I welcome suggestions.

Blisstake
2012-10-31, 10:27 PM
Sorry, accidentally deleted my critical confirm. It was a natural one, so a miss.

Oh My God
2012-11-01, 12:36 AM
I've been removed from the game against my wishes. It is my desire that Estanos, if he doesn't die in this fight, goes far, far, far away. It goes without saying that it'll be out of my hands whether that request is honored.

I wish I could say that I understood, or agreed with AA's decision. I don't. I hope that it comes as a surprise the rest of you; the alternative is unpleasant.

Good luck. Have fun. And try not killing everything that moves. :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2012-11-01, 10:15 AM
Good luck with your future games, OMG.

AA: Was the electrical damage taking into account Tireas' 5 electiricity resist?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-01, 12:07 PM
Nope, it wasn't, Blisstake. I pretty much will never do that, just because it's hard for me to remember all the time. So I leave it to you guys to do DR and resistances (the exception being spell resistance, because I need to roll for that).

Leviathan
2012-11-01, 12:51 PM
Yeah, good luck, OMG.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-01, 07:50 PM
Alright folks, I've done up a re-recruitment thread, which you can find here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260141) You can hop on over and introduce yourself and your character if you'd like.

Blisstake
2012-11-01, 10:18 PM
Hm, Tireas is at -2, so whether he can do anything depends if he's heald 3+ hp or not.

If not, I'll just roll to see how well he bleeds.

[roll0]

RocketMan
2012-11-01, 10:32 PM
If Estanos is being DM controlled for the fight, as seems to be the case, then he can heal Tireas. In other news, I feel like Ilya is still grappled. Darn :smallfrown:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-01, 10:55 PM
I was planning on having Estanos act when I do my usual post. But Blisstake, since it's important to you what he does this round, he'll use channel energy. Here's the healing number:

[roll0]

Blisstake
2012-11-01, 10:57 PM
Well that's lovely.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-02, 12:20 AM
You guys did not get good healing numbers this round!

Blisstake
2012-11-04, 02:50 PM
Huh, I guess that's a possible crit.

Confirm: [roll0]
Extra damage: [roll1]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-04, 08:04 PM
And that's almost level 3 for you folks. Climb that ladder!

Blisstake
2012-11-05, 11:30 PM
Oh, right, need to roll for hp before levelling up.

[roll0]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-06, 12:08 AM
Oh, that actually said "almost level 3," but what the hell, you guys have certainly earned a couple hundred EXP for the roleplay surrounding this scene. So...

LEVEL UP!

RocketMan
2012-11-06, 12:39 AM
Hitpoints: [roll0]

Winterfell
2012-11-06, 01:19 AM
Great job everyone! Here we go for HPs *crosses fingers* [roll0]

RocketMan
2012-11-06, 09:40 AM
So, loot:

+1 longsword.
+1 chain shirt.
+1 cloak of resistance.
300 gp worth of mundane equipment (armor, weapons, etc).
3 cure light wounds potions.
2 bandages of rapid recovery.

The +1 longsword can probably be sold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tireas and Viktor probably don't need it.

The +1 chain shirt could go to Ilya or Tireas.

The cloak of resistance should probably go to either Zinovia or Tireas, or possibly Ilya (that's not very helpful, since all I've really said is "the paladin doesn't need higher saves").

I guess I would suggest giving Ilya the chain shirt and Zinovia the cloak, since Tireas has the ring already and it'd be nice to keep approximately equal in terms of item distribution.

The potions and bandages should probably be kept until we know who is joining our group from the recruitment thread, and thus how much healing we'll need to supply via magic items.

The mundane gear can obviously be sold.

Blisstake
2012-11-06, 10:49 AM
Suggestions:

+1 Chainshirt to Tireas, take off ring and give to Ilya (ends up with both of us getting net +1 AC)
+1 Cloak of Resistance to Zinovia
Split the potions and bandages
+1 long sword and mundane gear goes to the magic gold funnel.

I'm starting to feel a bit stupid for taking weapon focus (katana). We're probably not going to find that many along the road. Maybe martial weapon proficiency would have been better (for using greatswords, greataxes, or falchions).

Leviathan
2012-11-06, 12:31 PM
I agree with Blisstake's loot division. Probably the potions should go to melee people, and the bandages to ranged people, because melee people are more likely to need quick healing.

And hitpoints from the level up: [roll0]

RocketMan
2012-11-06, 02:41 PM
Tireas can certainly have the +1 chain shirt, but on second thought Viktor can have the Ring of Protection +1, since he actually uses his AC for our collective benefit.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-07, 12:14 AM
I'm taking it that either you folks were all watching the election results or you're ready to move along. If it's the latter, say so and we'll get going.

Blisstake
2012-11-07, 11:38 AM
Yep, ready to move on!

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-08, 12:41 AM
Alright, new folks... I'm writing an IC post as we speak, so you'll be able to jump into things soon.

Until then, say hello and pick a text colour for your character's speech.

You can also talk about potentially having your characters know the others already.

???
2012-11-08, 02:06 AM
Woohoo, excited to be here! Any chance of getting on that fancy table on the first page?

Grigori's color will be Purple. I'm about to go to bed now but I'll have a post up tomorrow morning.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-08, 02:16 AM
Hello all! Longtime gamer, diving into PbP, this is my second ever, and the first started this week =)

I think This will be my color...

I hope I can bring something interesting to the game =). Feel free to offer advice, I am a newb!

GNOME

Blisstake
2012-11-08, 09:06 AM
Looking forward to playing with you guys!

RocketMan
2012-11-08, 11:21 AM
Welcome to both of you!

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-08, 04:20 PM
Is Pink too light to read easily?

Would Magenta be better?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-08, 09:33 PM
Either would work, I think. You can play around with them and figure out what works best for you.

RocketMan
2012-11-08, 10:36 PM
If you're looking for a pink-ish colour, I've found that Plum works better than the super-light Pink or the eye-searing Magenta. Totally your call though.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-09, 12:50 AM
Magenta reminds me of RHPS.

Grigori, any thoughts on our characters knowing each other? We are setting out at the same time, maybe we are being sent by some specific interest?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-09, 12:56 AM
Fireberd, I actually took the liberty of filling you guys in with a backstory reason. You can find that in the IC thread, which is linked in the first post of this thread. Go ahead and post there. And at any rate, if you're going to figure out a longer-term backstory connection, I think that can happen while we RP IC as well.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-09, 09:48 PM
Katerina looks up from her back pack, the frustration was obvious. "Zinovia? How do you keep all of your paper and tomes straight?" Katerina turns her rucksack upside down, emptying the contents in a heap...

Is there a way to keep our threads up on the top so I can find them easily? :D

Oh, and Gnome is fine if you want to address me :) The irony, I *hate* gnomes as characters :lol:

Leviathan
2012-11-09, 10:00 PM
Katerina looks up from her back pack, the frustration was obvious. "Zinovia? How do you keep all of your paper and tomes straight?" Katerina turns her rucksack upside down, emptying the contents in a heap...

Erm, I'm assuming this isn't actually something I should be responding to IC, because it isn't in the IC thread?

But to the other question, I just bookmark the threads in my internet browser so I can find it if it gets bumped down the forum too much.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-09, 10:20 PM
No, not in character, just a way to express digging through pages to find the ones I want :) I like breaking the fourth wall! Thank you ;)

Winterfell
2012-11-10, 05:00 PM
Sorry Viktor's being so suspicious of the new guys. It's not personal, he just doesn't believe that you can ever be too careful :smalltongue:

RocketMan
2012-11-10, 05:09 PM
LEVEL UP!

Blisstake, have you leveled up Tireas? Just checking out sheets and was wondering.

Blisstake
2012-11-10, 05:31 PM
I'll have it done soon.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-10, 08:39 PM
I've updated the tables in the first post to include our new characters, and put up a new exploration map. Believe it or not, you're pretty close to the end of the module!

Also, I should add, you've exhausted your last exploration path, so I'll need a new proposal before I can move you guys along.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-10, 11:38 PM
Looking at the exploration map, I would say go and check/secure the gold mine. If we are to build a kingdom out here, a reliable source of income would be great...

???
2012-11-11, 12:16 AM
From reading the IC thread, I'm guessing the area that's revealed is stuff that has been explored and secured already. We need to get the white spaces.

RocketMan
2012-11-11, 12:39 AM
Here's my suggested travel plan. It takes us, very gradually, towards the kobolds, while also exploring all the parts of the northern Greenbelt that we haven't explored already.

Travel Plan: travel through E3-> travel through D3-> explore C3 -> explore B3 -> A3 -> A4 -> B4 -> C5 -> B5 -> A5 -> A6 -> B6 -> C6 -> D6 -> E6 -> F6 -> G6.

Blisstake
2012-11-11, 11:56 AM
That route works for me.

Tireas is level 3 now.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-11, 01:16 PM
Alright, if another person or two chime in supporting that route, we can get things going.

When you're ready to finish with this conversation, just say something to the effect that your character is retiring for the evening, or just post here OOC.

??? and GNOME: Yeah, the explored areas of the map are the revealed hexes.

Also, now that Viktor has filled you in, you should definitely get up to speed on the campaign so far. It's fairly long, so you can take your time reading it. But you're going to be pretty confused otherwise.

Blisstake, RocketMan, Leviathan, Winterfell: Nobody's spending any of the gold you've accumulated since the beginning of the game :smalltongue: I think the reason is because it's in a common pool, so people don't want to take away from that disproportionately.

I suggest that from here on out gold will be divided by character, and you can spend from your character's pool. That way you'll actually buy things.

I'm assuming that you'll give the letter you found on Islanei to Oleg (that's my none-too-subtle way of getting you up to wealth by level). If that's the case, you should have approximately 2,000 gp each to spend on stuff. Which brings me to...

Buying and Selling Goods at Oleg's Post

Oleg keeps a stock of pretty much any mundane item you might need. Masterwork weapons and armour is available frequently enough that we'll say you can buy it whenever you'd like.

Magic items worth 1,000 gp or less are available too. But for anything worth more than that, he'll need to send an order to Restov to acquire it. That'll take about a week's time.

Oleg will normally buy and sell at 50% of the listed price for an item. However, you're important enough in his eyes now that you can sell items for 75% of the listed price from here on out.

Blisstake
2012-11-11, 02:20 PM
All right, let me make sure I've got this right. As of last count, we had 2,380gp total.

From the last encounter, we're adding

+1,725gp for the longsword (75% of its value)
+225gp for the mundane gear (75% of its value)
+6,000gp for the letter

That bring our total to 10,330gp Dividing that evenly among us (the four of us anyway. Future loot will be divided six ways) gives 2,582gp each. WBL is 3,000gp, but that includes loot we find, so we're actually well above that :smallsmile:

I'll keep the current wealth updated after each encounter.

Leviathan
2012-11-11, 02:55 PM
The travel plan sounds good. I take it Kesten doesn't know where the hunters are, exactly, so we can't head straight for them.

Alright, so wealth-wise, all of us except Grigori and Katerina have 2,500 gp to spend. Cool. I'll look into stuff for Zinovia now.

Blisstake
2012-11-11, 03:40 PM
That money was split between the four of us, actually. I figured Katerina and Grigori's wealth is represented by their starting funds.

I don't know for sure, though, if that's how I was supposed to split it. Could you let us know, AA?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-11, 05:13 PM
Yeah, Blisstake, you've got it right. Grigori and Katerina have 3,000 gp of stuff already. But any gold you accumulate past this point will obviously be split six ways.

RocketMan
2012-11-11, 10:45 PM
Ilya will order +1 to his shortbow from Restov for 2000 gp. That will leave him with 582 left over.

Blisstake
2012-11-11, 11:32 PM
Tireas will get a masterwork katana. I don't think a +1 to damage is really worth the extra cost and time for him.

???
2012-11-12, 09:28 PM
I think I'll hold off from posting until gnome's had a chance. I feel like I'm hogging the spotlight! :smalltongue:

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-13, 02:58 AM
Don't feel like you are hogging ;) Katerina has already said she will follow your lead. Until she gets bored... :lol:

Winterfell
2012-11-14, 03:42 AM
Hey AA, Viktor's buying Full Plate from Oleg, so is it possible for him to sell his old armor back? If he can, what ratio is it at (75% seems high if it's dented)?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-15, 10:23 PM
Winterfell: Thanks for raising that issue. Yeah, once you've used the gear for a while, you'll sell it a 50%. Otherwise there's just no big penalty for constantly upgrading.

Also, it occurred to me as I was making the map IC that you guys might want to discuss a new marching order. I tried to do what I thought made sense, but you might disagree.

Winterfell
2012-11-17, 12:27 AM
Okay, I've added the money for the sold armor.

Rolling to confirm crit: [roll0]
Extra crit damage: [roll1]

Blisstake
2012-11-17, 12:55 AM
I think we may have just obliterated that encounter...

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-17, 01:28 PM
Yeah, two CR5 creatures... Poor little wolves! :smalleek:

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-18, 09:02 AM
In regards to a marching order, Katerina has not too bad perception and could work up front, or on a flank. As an IC answer, she would want to be up front.

Leviathan
2012-11-18, 09:02 PM
I liked the positioning you gave us last encounter, AA, but positioning isn't all that important for Zinovia.

Blisstake
2012-11-18, 09:07 PM
I liked the positioning you gave us last encounter, AA, but positioning isn't all that important for Zinovia.

As long as she's not the first person when going down a five foot wide hallway :smalltongue:

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-18, 11:20 PM
or the last in line for that Scooby Doo snatched from behind scene ;)

RocketMan
2012-11-20, 12:37 AM
Ilya's fine going last, since his AC is quite high, or in the middle, since he's ranged. Basically, just so long as he's not first.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-25, 04:38 PM
Critical hit by work the last couple of days. But the IC post's up.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-25, 08:19 PM
I will be heading to the airport tomorrow and will be in transit (to Germany, from Maryland) until I don't know when. If I can't post, please keep up the action! I think AA has a good grasp of who Katerina is, so I am comfortable with her going "NPC" for a bit if need be! :D

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-28, 02:16 PM
Sorry for the delay, folks. I'm down with a nasty flu, so it could be another day or two before I can do a post. I'll try to do one tonight though.

FireberdGNOME
2012-11-29, 03:32 PM
*hot tea and chicken noodle soup on a tray*

Get better! And relax ;)

ApatheticAbacus
2012-11-30, 11:31 PM
Blam, IC post is up! I'm feeling better enough to try and kill you with giant lizards :smallamused: Thanks for the patience, folks!

???
2012-12-01, 01:18 PM
It's sickness season for sure. Welcome back ApatheticAbacus! In a few levels, Grigori will just cast cure disease and then you'll be fine :smallbiggrin:

Blisstake
2012-12-02, 03:50 PM
Back to adventuring, back to Tireas getting critical threats...

[roll0]
[roll1] extra damage.

Winterfell
2012-12-02, 11:53 PM
Rolling the power attack that I screwed up IC: [roll0]

FireberdGNOME
2012-12-04, 04:35 PM
Confirmation and Damage Rolls:
[roll0] [roll1]

Leviathan
2012-12-05, 12:14 AM
Magic missile damage: [roll0]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-12-10, 11:38 AM
Sorry for the wait folks. As you can probably tell, exams are taking up lots of my time.

FireberdGNOME
2012-12-12, 11:41 AM
Crit confirm and damage:
[roll0]
[roll1]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-12-13, 04:07 PM
Great rolls from Kat this round. Unfortunately, big plant monsters get mad when that happens :smalltongue:

In other news, GNOME, I've noticed you've been writing stuff with your horse. What's been implicit so far in the group has just been that the horses vanish mysteriously when you need to fight, since none of you guys need them or have trained with them (and the horses aren't combat trained either). So you should feel free to ignore your horse in battle. If you are going to use it, make sure that you're applying all the mounted combat rules.

FireberdGNOME
2012-12-14, 09:56 AM
OK :) I was not sure how it was working. Now I know.

FireberdGNOME
2012-12-20, 01:28 AM
I am on the move again! This time into a new house. However, my internet connection may be dodgy for a few days. I will endeavor to reach the game, but if I cannot, please do not let my absence slow play! AA has a pretty good grasp on what Kat would do! (Charge! Attack!!!) lol

???
2012-12-22, 04:23 PM
Just realized that I'd actually gone all this time without having hitpoints for Grigori... :smallredface:
Here are the rolls...

[roll0]
[roll1]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-12-23, 12:02 PM
Cool avatar ???, I need to see about getting me one of those.

In other news, since the world has failed to end, happy holidays all! I won't expect anyone to post over the next couple days, but of course, if you want to, please do! I will still be around most days because my extended family is unpleasant :smalltongue:

I'll also be moving the IC thread along soon. Though the roleplay has been great, I think things are slowing down a bit now.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-12-29, 03:06 PM
I hope everyone had a good holiday! Let's get this show back on the road.

We're nearing the end of this part of the AP, so in the next couple of days, I'll be introducing the Kingdom Rules in preparation for Part 2. Exciting stuff!

FireberdGNOME
2012-12-30, 09:36 AM
Just to keep you all informed I have moved into a new house and *should* have interwebs no later than 7 January. *crosses fingers* but I have experienced german telecommunications before...

Otherwise I can get on from my phone or at the USO :)

ApatheticAbacus
2012-12-30, 03:29 PM
Not a problem, GNOME. Whereabouts in Germany are you living?

Winterfell, I did forget the detect evil, as I'm prone to doing. But I woke up in the middle of last night remembering that I'd forgotten. It's edited into the last post as of some ungodly hour yesterday. But it's understandable that you'd have missed that.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-12-30, 05:32 PM
Alright, so yesterday I promised the Kingdom rules would be coming soon to a theatre near you... Well, it's time to get started with that, specifically, the stuff that needs to be figured out so that we can hit the ground rolling in Part II.

Kingdom Building Part I: Creating Your Kingdom

To begin with, there are a couple of things you'll need to decide on about your kingdom. I'll lay them out so that you folks can discuss them at your leisure. Take note, though, that just because I'm doing this doesn't mean that you've got everything in the bag! There's still lots of potential for failure and catastrophe to come before you'll get to see Part II!

But that said, here's what you'll need to get thinking about:

The basics: I'll get into the rules later, but I should explain the bare-bones now. Basically, your kingdom will make 'saving throws' each turn, and the results of those throws will determine how well you're doing. The three 'saves' are loyalty, stability, and economy. You increase those saves by constructing buildings and getting good leaders, plus by successfully resolving IC events. That's really all you need to know at this point, so lets get into the stuff I need you to do...

1. Alignment: Your kingdom will need an alignment. Obviously, this won't represent the view of everyone (or even most people) in the kingdom. It represents the way the government and some of the people generally look at things. Each of the two halves of the alignment will confer a small bonus to some of your kingdom's stats, which I'll get to later (evil and lawful to economy, neutral to stability, and good and chaotic to loyalty).

2. Names: You'll need a name for your kingdom and a name for your starting capital. These can be the same if you'd like to get a city-state feel to things. Alternately, you could hold off on deciding this until after you've finished with the Stag Lord IC: I've seen lots of groups (Blisstake's included) that have used the finale of Part I for inspiration.

3. Leadership roles: This is the main thing for you folks to decide on. There are eleven leadership roles in all, each of which will serve different roles and provide different bonuses (or penalties - choose carefully!) to certain areas. The bonus they provide is based on the primary stat, which will be listed below (so you'll want to find people with good numbers in the relevant stats). I'll outline each of them, and then get into what I'd like from you.

Ruler:
This is the kingdom's primary leader, who will start off with the title of baron, and advance in title as the kingdom grows.

Primary Stat: Charisma
Modifies: Economy, loyalty, or stability (ruler's choice each turn). Eventually it will modify all of the three.

Councilor
The councilor represents the people of the kingdom and advises the ruler.

Primary Stat: Wisdom or Charisma
Modifies: Loyalty

General
The general commands the kingdom's armies and defends the people.

Primary Stat: Strength, Constitution, or Charisma
Modifies: Stability

Grand Diplomat
The diplomat is responsible for relations with the external world, including Brevoy and any number of beings inhabiting the Stolen Lands.

Primary Stat: Intelligence or Charisma

High Priest
The high priest is responsible for spirituality, including any state-sponsored religion.

Magister
The magister is responsible for the arcane, and knowledge in general, within the kingdom.

Modifies: Economy

Marshal
The marshal is in charge of the protection of outlying, rural regions of the kingdom.

Primary Stat: Dexterity or Wisdom

Spymaster
The spymaster observes the kingdom's seedier elements as well as probes for external threats.

Primary Stat: Intelligence, Dexterity, or Charisma
Modifies: Loyalty, Economy, or Stability (spymaster's choice each turn)

Treasurer
The treasurer is in charge of the finances of the kingdom.

Primary Stat: Intelligence or Wisdom

Warden
The warden is the head of the city's guards, and as such is responsible for keeping the peace and preventing crime.

Primary Stat: Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution
Modifies:Loyalty

Royal Assassin / Chief Judge
The assassin or judge both serve as the public official in charge of justice in the kingdom. Obviously, they play that role very differently, but the effect is the same. You can have only one person in this position (i.e. you cannot have both a judge and an assassin).

Primary Stat: Strength or Dexterity (for Royal Assassin); Wisdom or Intelligence (for Chief Judge)

What I want from you:

To begin with, please indicate whether you'd be interested in the Ruler position for your character. That position really can't be occupied by an NPC, so one of you will need to do it.

After that, please select two or three other roles that you think your character would fill. That means (a) that you think you would have fun roleplaying your character in that role, and (b) your character would be at least decent mechanically in it (i.e. that you've got at least a +1 or +2 in one of the attributes tied to it).

Once you've all done that, we can figure out who wants what and go from there.

Leviathan
2012-12-30, 06:24 PM
I don't have long to post, so I won't try to produce any doubtlessly-rushed kingdom names.

But Zinovia would most definitely not be a good ruler. Negative Cha and a decidedly disinterested approach to such things.

I'd say she'd be best as magister by far, as that's what she cares about most, but I could see her as spymaster or treasurer in a pinch.

Winterfell
2012-12-30, 11:13 PM
Wow, long post. Now that I've given it a read, here's my opinions.

1. Alignment should probably be Lawful Good, since that's the most common alignment in the party. Maybe it could be Lawful Neutral or even Neutral Good.

2. I am pretty bad at coming up with names, so I think, like Leviathan I'll try to do this one once I've got some time to sit down and think. Or for someone more talented to give it a try :smalltongue:

3. For Viktor, I'd really prefer that he be either the Ruler or the General. If he's the ruler, I'd ideally think it should be fluffed as more of a "warrior king" than the traditional kingship role. That's probably only possible however if an NPC is the general or else its stepping on too many toes. So based on that here's my thinking.
-if it doesn't step on toes, I'd marginally prefer Viktor to be ruler with the slight refluffing.
-if that's not possible, general would be great too for Viktor. I'd be 100 percent happy with that.
-Warden is also fine for Viktor if neither of those roles work.

Hopefully that's what you were looking for AA. I'm interested to see what other people pick (Zinovia's choice was not surprising!).

Blisstake
2012-12-31, 10:07 AM
Alignment: Lawful good or lawful neutral probably.

Names: Hmm, nope, not the best person to ask for that.

Position: Tireas can be good at a lot of things because of his charisma score, but there are only a few he's really interested in, which would be spymaster, diplomat, and ruler. However, ruler is if no one else is interested, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

That being said, if Ilya or Viktor wanted to keep their identities hidden from Noleski Surtova (we don't want him to declare war), Tireas would make an excellent decoy leader. :smalltongue:

RocketMan
2012-12-31, 11:53 AM
1. Alignment:

We can actually work out what our collective alignment should be mathematically by taking a mean. Let's say we assign good a value of 1, neutral a value of 2, and evil 3. Our sum comes to 9, which makes our mean 1.5, indicating that it's a toss-up between good or neutral. I'd be inclined to go with good simply because Zinovia is dragging the rest of us down :smalltongue:. If you do the same for the law-chaos axis, we end up with neutral (1.67).

That said, I am all for Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral. For one, I think it's much more flavourful to be lawful. That is why our kingdom is being created at all - to bring order to wilderness. A Neutral Good kingdom is a bit too goody-goody to be interesting. Too much forgiveness, not enough hanging criminals.

2. Names:

My own preference would be to have the kingdom name be a Russian-y sounding one, since that reflects the culture of the Stolen Lands and Brevoy (Oleg, Svetlana, Vasily, Kavken, Orlovsky, Surtova, Medvyed, Restov, Stetven etc.). So here are some suggestions.

Very roughly based on Google Translations:
Novazhia or Zhianov ("New Life"), Novazemlia or Zemlianova ("New Earth"), Derevland ("Woodsland").

Shamelessly grabbed from lists of Russian things on Wikipedia:
[ia, ya, or land can be added to the end of any] Kovrov, Novorzhev, Ostrov, Sarov, Zhukov, Yana, Zeya, Drava.

For the capital, my preference would be to make it a compound word type name. Since we're going to kill (presumably) the Stag Lord, we could name it: Stag's End, Stag's Heart, or Stag's Fall. Other names might include Greenheart, Southguard, Hope's Stand, Riversong, or Pinewall. If those are too "Game of Thrones-y" then we could always use one of my kingdom suggestions as the capital.

3. Leadership roles:

Technically, between his Charisma and Dexterity, Ilya could fulfill every roll well except for Marshall. That said, some are just ridiculous for him (High Priest? General?). My preference would be for Ilya to be the ruler, the Councillor or the Diplomat, as I think all of those would suit him well.

???
2012-12-31, 01:35 PM
Alignment: I think Lawful-Good or Lawful-Neutral, but I think maybe it should depend on who we pick as ruler? I mean, everyone has agreed on it being one of three (NG, LG, LN), so maybe we should just let whoever is picked as ruler decide from those three?

Names: I really like all the city names. They're evocative, which is nice, and actually mean something. I particularly like Stag's Fall, Hope's Stand and Riversong.

For the kingdom, I think all those are OK, but possibly a bit long? So maybe one of the shorter ones?

Roles: I think Grigori would fill a lot of positions well, but my top choices would be either chief judge or treasurer, or maybe councilor or high priest. With all of those except high priest, though, I think it would be nice to maybe fluff them as a sort of Prime/First Minister, which I think is a natural position for a priest of Abadar.

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-03, 05:43 AM
Alignment: Any of the three metioned are fine. If Ilya is Ruler, NG; If Viktor, than LG.

In regards to Katerina's 'job' Warden (preferrered, the urban orientation speaks better of Katerina's background) or Marshal. She could probably cover both if needed. Her mental stats leave much to be desired, but at least they are not *bad* ;)

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-03, 05:44 AM
I was on my phone earlier and it can be fussy trying to post in the forums with it. I would like to go ahead and make my Dazzling Display/Intimidate roll here:

[roll0]

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-03, 05:47 AM
AA: I am stationed in Grafenwoehr, but live in Weiden. This is my second tour in Germany and I love it here (not as much as my Arizona, though!). Live music, Autobahn, and bakeries!

I should have regular internet in the house starting on the 7th of this month.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-03, 01:37 PM
OK, thanks all for stating your preferred roles. I'll sum up what was said:

Alignment: LG, LN, or NG, possibly depending on the ruler.

Names: Nobody except RocketMan really said anything on that :smalltongue: Unless you're going to appoint him as the official namer of things, might want to put in your two-cents.

Positions
Ruler: Viktor or Ilya... more on this later.

Councilor: Ilya or Grigori

General: Viktor

Grand Diplomat: Tireas or Ilya

High Priest: Grigori

Magister: Zinovia

Marshal: Katerina

Spymaster: Tireas

Treasurer: Grigori

Warden: Katerina

Royal Assassin / Chief Judge: Grigori

So here's what we're going to do...

If you want a position where only your character's name is there, feel free to just claim it right now.

The only possibly-contested positions involve Ilya, so if you want one of those, wait and see what happens with the ruler position.

Speaking of which...

Rulership

We've got two candidates for the top spot, Viktor and Ilya. I'd like to open up a discussion around this. Specifically, I'd like people to offer any thoughts or reasons they have for who should be ruler. This can include both IC or OOC reasons. We'll try to establish a consensus or near-consensus, but if that can't happen, we'll take a vote.

Blisstake
2013-01-03, 03:48 PM
Well, I'd like to hear the IC reasons why Viktor/Ilya want to be ruler in the first place before deciding. I'm curious what their motivations are.

Edit: And also, Tireas will be Spymaster if Viktor is ruler, and Grand Diplomat if Ilya is the ruler.

Leviathan
2013-01-03, 04:16 PM
I'd also be curious about the IC motivations of Viktor and Ilya, but I'll say a few things anyways.

Zinovia, from an IC perspective, would probably favour Ilya, just because she thinks he'd probably leave her free to do whatever she pleases more than Viktor.

OOC, I wonder about Viktor and Ilya's relationship and how that'll continue. I mean, Viktor has served as a protector to Ilya so far, and that role would suddenly get reversed were Viktor to be the ruler and Ilya something under him. I'm not saying it can't work, just that I think that at first glance it seems like things might need to change a bit.

I also think that Ilya being the ruler would make for some fun interactions with both House Surtova and the Swordlords. But then, I suppose Viktor would provoke the same response from both those factions, just to a lesser degree.

From what I've observed of Viktor and Ilya IC, I'd say that they both have merits. Ilya is a very agreeable person who's fairly easy to like. I could see him being very popular with the people. Viktor's a bit more suspicious and heavy-handed, which aren't always bad traits for a leader either, but probably will mean he's not quite as likeable.

The flip side is that Viktor is probably more decisive than Ilya, at least until Ilya grows into the position. Of course, that's exactly why Zinovia doesn't want Viktor to be ruler!

Oh, and Zinovia will claim magister. Big surprise, I know.

Winterfell
2013-01-03, 09:37 PM
I see Leviathan's points. If Viktor is ruler, he won't restrict what other players do within reason, unless Zinovia is posing a threat to the people of the kingdom. I don't think the relationship between Ilya and Viktor will change that much - Viktor still has a duty to protect him and still cares deeply about that responsibility. Also that is why I see Viktor as more of an active warrior-king rather than a king who sits on his throne and is guarded. He's not someone who wants to be protected, rather someone who wants to protect everyone. I do think Viktor and Ilya would rule quite differently, so part of the decision comes down to whether we want more decisive or consensual leadership.

IC, I don't see Viktor *wanting* to be king so much as being willing to shoulder that responsibility if called to do so by his companions. I think Viktor is a natural leader despite being born a commoner and given the chance I think he'd fit naturally into that role. He also has a strong sense of right and wrong and of justice that would benefit the kingdom.

I do also think Ilya would make a very interesting and exciting ruler too, and I certainly don't insist that Viktor end up king, so please confer on which character the majority of people would prefer.

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-04, 07:04 AM
Ilya as ruler. IC: he is a prince, he is the best qualified. OOC: I like fireworks :)

RocketMan
2013-01-04, 12:28 PM
I'm going to do something that might strike some of you as odd: I'm going to make the case here against Ilya being ruler. As a player, I am quite comfortable with Ilya ended up as the ruler, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I want it. Nor would I say, IC, that Ilya wants to be ruler, only that he wouldn't refuse if the position were insistently offered to him (he might put up a fight though). I was aware, however, that by virtue of Ilya's backstory, personality, and charisma score people might consider him as a potential king. If I can't shatter that belief in the next couple paragraphs by all means select Ilya as king; I won't be unhappy.

Ilya's personality is not very "kingly." Sure, he's usually kind and compassionate, but he also lacks the seriousness or dedication to commit to actually running a kingdom. He's also flippant about important issues, more concerned with enjoying himself than governing. Yes he'll put the commons first, but only when he's paying attention. He'd be the type of king whose advisors would have to chase him down to get him to sign laws or make decisions. Ruling is like having homework to do when you really just to go play. Heck, he doesn't like responsibility and in his backstory he complains bitterly about being prince and claims that "I've no interest in the throne to speak of." He may be the most qualified in terms of holding a title, but by that standard Zinovia is the second most qualified.

I'm also not sure Ilya would make especially interesting decisions as ruler. He wants to make sure his subjects are alive, happy and free, but honestly that's pretty standard fare for the generic-good-fantasy-king. He'd certainly include others' perspectives in decisions, but consensus decisions are seldom the most adventurous decisions either, since they have to balance a number of more extreme opinions.

There are interesting potential political developments if Ilya is made king: negotiating with his father, the Swordlords' horror that they've accidentally installed an Issian prince on their southern flank, establishing a cadet branch of the Surtova house. But there are equally interesting ones if Viktor is the king: how Brevoy reacts when the man who they've been saying kidnapped the prince is made king and the suspicion the Swordlords would naturally have of a Surtova bodyguard. Honestly, I feel like there are interesting political issues raised by any character becoming king, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

If Ilya is not king, I'd prefer he end up councillor. I mention this because rulership is almost redundant for Ilya; most of what I've outlined him doing as king could also be done were he the councillor. He wants to look out for the little people when he's not distracted by whipping up a festival or hunting or feasting - precisely the definition of councillor. Indeed, the only real difference is as ruler he'd be making decisions, where as councillor he'd be offering advice. The latter role in many ways seems better matched to Ilya's personality. He'd rather offer his snarky or bemused two-cents than actually have to be decisive.

Anyways, I hope that helps everyone make up their minds. I've convinced myself at least, and if we vote I'll vote for Viktor. As I said at the beginning of this post, however, I'm putting Ilya up as a candidate at all because I'm willing to have him be ruler and I thought there might be a "draft Ilya" movement otherwise. If people want him to be king, select him, but you've been warned!

???
2013-01-04, 01:28 PM
I'll keep things short, because I haven't been a member of this group for very long, so I'm not sure I have that much to contribute.

IC, Grigori would probably favor Viktor, because they share the same faith, and Viktor in Grigori's mind exhibits more of the necessary seriousness that rulership requires. But he'd also be deferential to Ilya's title if we want to go with Ilya.

OOC, I'm not sure. RocketMan made a convincing case for why Ilya wouldn't be a perfect ruler, but I'm not sure if that means he wouldn't be a good choice. If our kingdom is just plain perfect, it might not be all that interesting. But then, it might be. I don't know. I'm going to have to have a look at backstories and a re-read of the campaign before I joined up to make a more informed decision.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-04, 02:52 PM
Alrighty, we're still getting good discussion so far on rulership, so I'll leave you guys to talk about that.

The other issue, though, is that you'll need NPCs to fill all the vacant positions (i.e. the ones you yourselves don't fill). Here's a list of NPCs who you've encountered, though you should feel free to bring in a character from your backstory (most of you don't have much of that though), or even I suppose suggest a hitherto-unknown NPC (e.g. "We'll take the settler with the most military experience and make him/her marshal.") Some NPCs might be more reluctant to lead than others, so keep in mind that IC persuasion might be necessary, especially if you're giving someone a position they don't really want.

NPCs
Oleg Leveton - shopkeep, handyman, gruff go-it-alone type.
Svetlana Leveton - kind, down-to-earth, helpful.
Kesten Garess - Brevish guard captain.
Vasily Derorn - talkative ex-bandit.
Jhod Kavken - wandering priest of Erastil.
Bokken the Hermit - erratic herbalist and brewer of potions.
Tig-Titter-Tut and Perlivash - dynamic duo of fun-loving fey.
Various kobolds, depending on how the current scene goes down.

You'll want to fill all the roles that aren't being taken by a PC, so as you decide what your characters are doing, you should then start slotting NPCs into the excess positions.

Blisstake
2013-01-04, 04:35 PM
Well this is a bit odd. It doesn't seem like either Viktor, Ilya, or Tireas (highest charisma modifiers) really want to be leader, so much as are willing to be if no one else steps up.

Leviathan
2013-01-04, 04:43 PM
Hmm, I haven't got the impression from Winterfell that he doesn't actually want Viktor to be ruler. I've taken away that he'd like him to, but would be just as happy with general. So maybe if he's the only one who wants the damn thing, we should just give it to him :smalltongue:

Blisstake
2013-01-04, 04:46 PM
No, I mean IC, he said Viktor would be willing to shoulder the burden if no one else stood up. OOC is a different matter, of course.

Leviathan
2013-01-04, 04:48 PM
Ah, well, in that case I'm actually sort of glad. I think it's unbecoming for a character to want badly to be a king. :smalltongue: Only character I've ever seen want that IC was RocketMan's halfling barbarian the first time I played Kingmaker Pbp (which died, I should note).

Blisstake
2013-01-04, 04:50 PM
Well, yes, this is all assuming we don't meet some horrific end at the hands of the Stag Lord (or kobolds!)

Winterfell
2013-01-04, 10:14 PM
The kobolds are very intimidating :smalltongue:.

Leviathan is right, when I said that Viktor was reluctant to be ruler I didn't mean that I was OOC. I would say that ruler is my first choice with general a very close second. I also agree with Leviathan that most characters (*not* players) who want badly to be king are probably powerhungry maniacs :smalltongue:.

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-05, 05:27 AM
IC persepctive: Katerina is a peasant. Ilya is a Prince. Princes are perfect for leadership so says *everything* nobility does. Ilya could also be a fair hope for reuniting Brevoy and ending the Surtova/Swordlord fight. Yes, he is Surtova, but he does not represent Issia, neither does he represent Restov. Viktor is a soldier, and has stated he will follow Ilya. So, Ilya over Viktor. In regards to Tireas as ruler. No. Tiefling. RED Tiefling. That would go over like a lead balloon. Though Kat has no issues with Tireas, except his strangeness, *people* do. At best we would be isolated from the commoners and at worst we would become the new worldwound ripe for a fresh Mendevan crusade. No thank you, to that.

OOC Perspective: Ilya's unique situation allows for *a lot* of political intirgue and issues. Let's just say Tireas' life as spymaster will be most interesting if he is watching the Sword Lords reaction as well as Ilya's family. Of course, if Ilya's father takes issue and decides to come after his wayward son, then our fledgling kingdom would have instant allies in the Swordlords. Also, to soothe the Swordlords, Katerina could set up a cadre of militia/police trained in the ideology of the Swordlords (whatever particular politics that would be) and thus furthering Restov's influence to the south. Also, both antagonists (SL's, Surtova) could allow the the fledgling kingdom to grow, just to see it's value in their game of thrones. Any of this could lead to a solidifying of Brevoy and a stronger nation as a whole. And, lastly, Ilya's inherent lack-of-leadership traits will make day to day life interesting ;) As he said, we would have to chase him down to get anything resolved. But, at his heart, Ilya is a gentle soul and would be a good (if as Rocket said, generic) King.

???
2013-01-05, 11:28 AM
Just a crazy thought here, AA, is there some way we could have two characters rule? Seems like Viktor and Ilya both want to focus on different things, and Diarchy is a longstanding form of governance (Roman republic and Sparta, most notably). I don't know if it's possible, or if anyone likes the idea, but it would solve our problems and get the best of both worlds.

I agree with FireberdGNOME that the political situation will probably be most interesting if Ilya is king, and I'm also inclined to agree that his ineptness would be charming and interesting, but not destructive.

I'm not sure we're getting very far with this discussion. I think we actually need to see where people stand. So I'll say that IC Grigori would prefer Viktor, and OOC that I'd slightly prefer Ilya.

Blisstake
2013-01-05, 12:47 PM
Oh right, since I never really said it:

IC Tireas would prefer Ilya, since like Zinovia, he imagines he would be under less scrutiny. OOC I'm ambivalent, but both of them ruling could work if allowed.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-05, 02:16 PM
Regarding dual rulership, I think that it would be possible in theory. It might be difficult to convince your people or your benefactors of it, since it'd be very unusual for the area. I do worry that it won't actually be interesting for either of the rulers, though, because all the ruler tasks are divided.

Overall, I'd say that should probably be a backup for if the vote is a tie or something, rather than something you're aiming for.

Leviathan
2013-01-05, 09:23 PM
So were the instructions in your last IC post aimed specifically at ???, AA, or was the "???" so everyone knew that the battle was only maybe over?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-06, 12:42 PM
Doh! I forgot that one of our new players had that as his name :smalltongue: I won't be doing that again.

Also, I did not see that coming IC...

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-09, 12:27 AM
I take it you've all had your fill of kobolds and are ready to move on? An IC post will be coming tomorrow, so if you've got anything left for them, say it before then.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-13, 03:50 AM
Just finished an LOTR marathon, so no IC post tonight unfortunately. Leviathan and GNOME, try to chime in soon if you've got anything to say.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-13, 04:18 PM
I just keep monologuing away here, don't I? :smalltongue:

But I've decided that, since the discussion of rulership has died down, I'm going to put it to a vote.

Send me a PM with your choice for ruler within the next day or two. RocketMan and Winterfell, please do so as well, though you obviously are welcome to vote for yourselves!

Blisstake
2013-01-13, 05:35 PM
Hm, I'd better update the loot table.

Oh, speaking of that, did the cheif/shaman have anything?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-13, 07:00 PM
Oh, yeah, loot. I'm terrible at remembering that.

Chief Sootscale
+1 club (small-sized)
Leather armour (small-sized)
Masterwork light wood shield (small-sized)
Silver ring with initials S.L. engraved.

Tartuk
masterwork cold iron sickle (small-sized)
wand of magic missile (CL 3rd, 28 charges)
bracers of armour +1

And in other news, the area map has (finally) been updated. You can now see everything in the northern part of the Greenbelt (i.e. your Charter's area).

Blisstake
2013-01-13, 09:00 PM
All right, let me make sure I've got this right. As of last count, we had 2,380gp total.

From the last encounter, we're adding

+1,725gp for the longsword (75% of its value)
+225gp for the mundane gear (75% of its value)
+6,000gp for the letter

That bring our total to 10,330gp Dividing that evenly among us (the four of us anyway. Future loot will be divided six ways) gives 2,582gp each. WBL is 3,000gp, but that includes loot we find, so we're actually well above that :smallsmile:

I'll keep the current wealth updated after each encounter.

Loot table update!

As before, we're selling for 75% of the items' value. I'm going to ignore the leather armor, since we probably wouldn't have even bothered bringing it with us (sell price is very low anyway). Let me know if anyone would like the items I presume we're selling.

To Sell: +1 club (1725gp)
Masterwork Cold Iron Sickle (459gp)
Masterwork Shield (115gp)
Wand of Magic Missile (214gp)

Our recent award leaves us with 200gp each (total of 1,200gp), for a total of 618gp when divided amongst us (slight rounding to keep from adding silvers to that).

Items to keep:
Bracers of Armor: Might as well give to Zinovia
Wand of Magic Missile: Same as above
Ring: This is most likely Svetlana's, so let's give it to her.

Adding our previous total, Zinovia, Ilya, Viktor, and Tireas have 3200gp. That's gross amount, and not including any expenses you may have made. You might want to keep track of those on your character sheet. Grigori and Kat have 618 plus whatever was left from their starting gold.

Leviathan
2013-01-13, 09:24 PM
I'd say we should sell the wand, actually. Zinovia's been getting a lot of stuff, and hasn't been running out of spells.

Especially because the wand would sell for 945 gp (75% of its bit more than half charge-value). That'd be 157 more gp each.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-15, 08:52 PM
Just a reminder for those who haven't yet voted that you've got approximately 24 hours to do so before I rain down ambiguously-defined DM wrath on you! By which I mean that this is a decently important decision, so I'd really like to hear from everyone on it.

Blisstake
2013-01-20, 07:27 PM
Quick correction regarding what RocketMan posted: Tireas actually has the highest disguise at +8

RocketMan
2013-01-20, 10:11 PM
Ah sorry, not sure how I missed that Blisstake. That's even better then.

Leviathan
2013-01-20, 11:01 PM
Blisstake, maybe you could make some rolls for disguising everyone, or just take 20 a bunch of times since we don't have any time limit. The question though is whether Zinovia and Grigori (a) disguise, (b) not disguise but pretend to be bandit wizards and priests, or (c) pretend to be prisoners.

I'm inclined to go with (c) for dramatic reasons, i.e. it's coolest!

Blisstake
2013-01-20, 11:26 PM
As prisoners, it would be best to say that they're of some value alive. For example, that they're relatives of wealthy merchants or part of a noble family, and can be ransomed.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-01-22, 02:52 PM
You've got a solid plan in place now, so I'll give a couple of hours for any RP posts you'd like to make, and then update.

Blisstake
2013-01-22, 03:01 PM
Sounds good to me.

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-23, 10:12 AM
An FYI: I will be going to the field the first half of February so will 99% be unable to post for that span. I will do my best via cell/mobile, so I should be able to at least see what's happening!

At worst, feel free to NPC Kat for the short term! Also, I should have full internet at the house by the time I get back.

Until then, let's go hunt the Stag Lord!

Blisstake
2013-01-23, 10:14 AM
Forgot to roll bluff. Please, please, please, please don't fail me now. I'll take a 10 for 18 if possible, but if not...

[roll0]

Blisstake
2013-01-25, 09:01 AM
Tentative plan: we can give them the booze, and Tireas/Kat/Ilya can deliver one in person to the bandits on watch. Which involves killing/disabling them, of course.

Blisstake
2013-01-27, 02:48 PM
Okay! Looks like our bandit slaying is off to a nice start. AA, how high up are the watchtowers?

RocketMan
2013-01-27, 04:20 PM
Just to clarify, because I realize that I didn't IC, Ilya is going to climb up the watchtower and say hi to the bandit up there.

FireberdGNOME
2013-01-28, 06:21 AM
Looks like I am going to the last unclaimed tower. Did anyone tell Kat the plan was to hit them now? lol The bandit lech threw her off her game ;) As the bandit said Tireas should replace the guard, is it a better plan to actually do so? Then once the fight starts, we could use the high ground (especially Ilya, as Tir and Kat will be in melee) to our advantage... plus, more drunk bandititos, eh?

Also, I should have internet at the house on the 30th! :)

And then to the field for two weeks... :/

Blisstake
2013-01-28, 09:38 AM
If you can't get a clean kill, then it would probably be best to send them down without incident. Might as well get them drunk, and off the high ground even if we can't eliminate them preemptively.

Blisstake
2013-01-29, 12:53 AM
I think we're all having a little too much fun pretending to be bandits.

Winterfell
2013-01-31, 05:26 PM
Dovan got what was coming to him :smallamused:

Critical confirmation: [roll0]
Extra damage: [roll1]

Leviathan
2013-01-31, 05:30 PM
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a crit for a crit.

And I take it the subtleties are now over.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-02, 06:28 PM
Good news! I got internet at the house... bad news... it's 2.3mb/s of the promised 16mb/s

And I am cracking up over Viktor! "Die evil doer!" I am thinking the Tick ;)

Blisstake
2013-02-02, 06:38 PM
Wow, it looks like our plan went off without a hitch. Feels awesome when that happens :smalltongue:

Leviathan
2013-02-02, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I think the bandits are going to get slaughtered. My only concern is that the Stag Lord hasn't shown himself.

RocketMan
2013-02-03, 08:43 PM
Every time Ilya brags about his archery he misses, badly :smalltongue:.

Blisstake
2013-02-03, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that's somewhat unfortunate. Maybe next time Ilya should try reverse psychology: talking about how bad his skills are before firing :smalltongue:

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-04, 12:39 AM
le Sigh... different forum tags...

[Roll]d8+d6+5

*crosses fingers*

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-04, 12:41 AM
...and on my phone, at that...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Winterfell
2013-02-07, 09:51 PM
Botched damage roll: [roll0]

RocketMan
2013-02-11, 02:23 PM
Not that he likely needs it, but rolling crit:

Confirmation: [roll0]
Extra Damage: [roll1]

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-12, 12:31 PM
When it comes to Acrobatics in combat do you want me to half my movement, or just double count threatened spaces?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-15, 07:49 AM
Happy slightly belated Valentines Day everybody! I know Leviathan's busy, and I assume ??? was having fun times last night, so I'll give them another day to post up for this round.

Fireberd: I believe it's just the spaces that are actually threatened, but I could be wrong. That makes sense to me, though.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-16, 04:32 AM
*nods* Sounds fair to me :) It's hard enough to make a Mobility fighter a viable damage dealer; no need to overly restrict their movement :)

Blisstake
2013-02-16, 03:29 PM
:smalleek:

Um...

I think 32 total damage to Grigori outright kills him. We need to take this bastard down now. Tireas will vanish behind him, letting Katerina and Viktor help surround him. That will force him to switch to a melee weapon, or provoke attacks of opportunity.

However, if there's any chance Grigori is still alive, Viktor needs to use Lay on Hands on him ASAP.

???
2013-02-17, 08:46 AM
Yup, Grigori has kicked the bucket, shuffled off his mortal coil. This is an ex-priest.

Well, turns out quoting Monty Python isn't a strength :smalltongue: ApatheticAbacus, what happens now?

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-18, 02:48 AM
Hmmm.. should we rethink the name of our new kingdom? Maybe something to honor Grigori's brave and selfless sacrifice? At the very least let this date be memorialized as a sort of holiday?

Still Dead Father Grigori makes me a sad Panda :(

???
2013-02-18, 10:24 AM
He actually had a very long run for one of my characters... my DM is vicious!

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-18, 01:05 PM
Well, that was unexpected, though I'd heard that the Stag Lord is rough as written, and I buffed him a fair bit. Sorry about that, ???! It's just the way the cookie crumbles. Your options now would be to either make a new character (PM me if you want help with that, or ask here), or to chill and hope for a raise dead or something. I'll leave that choice entirely up to you.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-19, 05:40 PM
That's a wrap for Part I. Congratulations, folks; it's been a blast so far. I feel that there's going to be roleplaying to be had at this point. ???, if you want to give Grigori a dying scene, now would be the time.

Once you're done, I'll announce who's been made ruler, and we'll begin with Part II.

That's also level 4 for you all. Level up!

Edit: I would also like to make it known that I randomized who got the killing blow on the Stag Lord, since you all hit and did damage. :smalltongue:

???
2013-02-19, 11:52 PM
Oh man, that was a sad post to write. I dunno if I want him to come back. He's pretty cool, but it might cheapen the death. And I have some other cool ideas floating around. Anyone have any thoughts?

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-20, 12:51 AM
Completely up to you! :smallbiggrin: I think it may give some 'kingdom' opportunities should he truly be dead. Our first national hero and all that.

But if you would like to bring him back, we could figure out a way, I am sure. From an in-character perspective Katerina would probably not think to get Grigori raised, having been destitute for most of her life.

If you say you have other ideas floating around, and that would make you happy then I would be glad to see what else you can share.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-20, 12:55 AM
Hit Points:
[roll0]

Winterfell
2013-02-20, 02:21 AM
I agree, you can choose. I'm sure we can get a raise dead with some of our kingdom funds - until then we can just cart his bones around :smalltongue: But if you'd rather roll up a new character and leave the dramatic death scene as is, that's good too.

Hitpoints: [roll0]

Edit: yuck, knew my awesome hitpoint rolls would eventually come to an end.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-20, 04:16 AM
Ah...leveling and organic HP... I feel your pain.

Question: Kat is getting close to qualifying for Aldori Swordlord prestige Class. Are there going to be opportunities presented to RP that, or would you prefer that I create the opportunity (like taking down time to go visit with her mentor and such)?

As planned (on the mechanics side), she will go one more level of fighter then Swordlord, then back for one more level of fighter (to get Weapon Specialization) before finishing out as a ASL. Of course that is just math and not as fun as her being tested and accepted (assuming she is accepted!) Also, would her being a full fledged sword lord affect the politics? I already told you I like fireworks :smallamused:

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-20, 10:15 AM
There can definitely be an IC element to taking the prestige class. That said, the points in the campaign that are good for that might not align perfectly with the level-ups. So you may end up having a level in the prestige class for a bit before we get around to the IC part.

And yes, it will have an effect on the politics. Your superiors will expect you to follow orders, for example. :smallwink:

RocketMan
2013-02-20, 11:15 AM
Here goes Ilya's hitpoint roll (hey dice roller, how about a number above 2?) [roll0]

Edit: Why thank you.

Leviathan
2013-02-20, 11:41 AM
Clearly, asking nicely helps. So, dice roller, if I might have a high number, that'd be wonderful: [roll0]

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-20, 11:45 AM
AA, yes sir! Of course sir! Yeah, Kat can follow orders, especially from people she knows and trusts. Sometimes it will conflict her heart, but she will do as is necessary :smalltongue: Seriously, though maybe that is what she will miss about Grigori. Hmmm... a voice for her inner worries?

However, I was thinking about the ramifications of a *direct* Sword Lord presence in our new home. What would Surtova say, I wonder?

RocketMan
2013-02-20, 01:00 PM
I feel like House Surtova is basically going to be massively pissed off at us no matter what we do :smalltongue: I mean, the only people they don't already hate are Zinovia and Tireas AKA the two evil ones :smalltongue:

Blisstake
2013-02-20, 01:51 PM
Yeah, we're in somewhat of a delicate political situation here.

Well, here goes nothing; [roll0]

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-20, 02:15 PM
Delicate, yes. But, not tragically so. Kat will support the Sword Lords, and if Surtova no likey, then they have to come tell us 'no' themselves. :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2013-02-20, 02:17 PM
Hrm... having trouble deciding on a ninja trick. I could go for smoke bombs or shadow clone, which would be interesting with how I'm refluffing the tricks. I could also go for more mundane and defensive ones (Tireas is about as sturdy as an origami swan in a house full of hungry knife-wielding goblins) like Offensive Defense (bonus to AC on sneak attack) or take Improved Unarmed Strike and work up to getting Deflect Arrows and Crane Style.

RocketMan
2013-02-20, 02:41 PM
I've always found Deflect Arrows pretty underwhelming, particularly because it has a virtually useless prerequisite. I mean, it only really makes a difference when you're a) targeted by arrows and b) they would have hit anyways. Most of the bandit archers we've faced thus far have been pretty plinky and inaccurate.

If you're looking for defensive options, Shadow Clone is actually quite good. I mean, it's essentially 80% deflection the first time it's used, 75% the next time, and then 67% and 50% subsequently. Even if you rolled a one, 50% miss chance is nothing to scoff at. Also it's pretty awesome fluff-wise.

Smoke Bomb might be useful, but the description itself begs the question: why not just buy smoke sticks instead?

Blisstake
2013-02-20, 02:46 PM
Because it can eventually be combined with poison and stuff.

I guess I'm biased toward deflect arrows because it has saved my characters at least a dozen times. Good positioning can usually ensure only one or two melee attacks can go after you at a time, but ranged attacks are really only limited by line of sight. It's also one of the few ways to get protection against guns, but that probably won't come up.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-20, 03:01 PM
Of course you could always go for IUS, then eventually *both* Crane Wing and Deflect Arrows. I almost wish Kat could get into Cranewing. But that aint gunna happen...

Leviathan
2013-02-20, 03:06 PM
It'll be at least fifth level before Tireas can actually pick up deflect arrows, right, and that's if he takes it as an actual feat. So it seems to me it's a case of whether or not you need the defence right now, or if you're okay waiting.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-20, 04:21 PM
Awesome posts, folks; I'm giving you 400 roleplaying EXP for that, and it might be possible to earn a bit more. As per usual, if you want to move the IC scene along, sleep is the best option!

???
2013-02-21, 01:35 PM
I think I'm going to see about coming up with a new character. The idea I'm working with so far is a druid who's lived in the Stolen Lands for ages already. Can I pm you with some questions, AA?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-22, 02:08 AM
Of course, shoot me a PM if you've got questions. If you need a link to the re-recruitment for creation info, I can dig that out for you too.

RocketMan
2013-02-22, 03:40 PM
Hey Blisstake, is Tireas's letter an actual cryptogram or just random letters? Because I tried to decode it assuming that it was signed "Tireas" and that didn't work, so now I am very confused/curious :smalltongue:

Blisstake
2013-02-22, 05:07 PM
It's an actual crytogram, but there's another step to it :smallamused:

If anyone is curious, I can send you the letter's translation over PM.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-22, 05:12 PM
I actually laughed out loud when I opened the spoiler. "That'll show me to spy on the spy!" But, no, I don't want a translation :smalltongue: Makes for more drama if Tireas *does* betray us :smallcool:

Leviathan
2013-02-22, 06:59 PM
Oh man, I want the translation! :smalltongue: But I shouldn't have it... That said, don't let Zinovia see that letter, because she's got detect thoughts and will use it while he's writing the next one!

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-22, 07:18 PM
Well I for one would like to get the translated version PMed to me. I'm rubbish at figuring those things out, and am supposed to be omniscient, so I really should know. Especially if it's being sent to an NPC, which is likely.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-23, 05:37 PM
Long IC post is long. I'll have the kingdom rules up later tonight or tomorrow. But, so that nobody is in suspense any longer, the ruler will be Viktor. But don't worry, political machinations will still be just as dastardly, and you'll all get lots of time in the spotlight.

What that being decided does mean is that you need to confirm yourselves for the spots you'd like, and then assign NPCs to the rest. ???, if you're going with the druid idea you PMed me, pick a role that fits to tentatively hold for yourself.

Winterfell
2013-02-23, 09:25 PM
Since I'm not sure what positions the PCs will have, here's a list of positions I think each NPC would be suited for:

Oleg: treasurer, councillor.
Svetlana: diplomat, councillor.
Jhod: high priest, treasurer, councilor.
Kesten Garess: general, warden.
Vasily: assassin, spymaster, marshal.
Akiros: general, assassin.

Other possible NPCs: Bokken, Tyg-Tut-Tigger, Perlivash, Mikmak?

Blisstake
2013-02-23, 09:37 PM
Oleg: treasurer, councillor.

I would lean toward treasurer. His wife is probably better with people.

Svetlana: diplomat, councilor.

Sounds about right.

Jhod: high priest, treasurer, councilor.

High priest is probably most up his alley.

Kesten Garess: general, warden.

I'd say warden or marshall

Vasily: assassin, spymaster, marshal.

I don't really trust him as a marshall. The first two sound good, though.

Akiros: general, assassin.

Do we trust him enough to put him in a position of power. Making him general seems dangerous, since we know he's willing to change sides if it benefits him...

Other possible NPCs: Bokken, Tyg-Tut-Tigger, Perlivash, Mikmak?

None of them really seem like choices that would be either accepted by most people, or necesarily a better choice than any given individual with sufficient experience. Bokken would be an okay magister, but that's what Zinovia's doing.

Tireas will be spymaster or assassin, whatever Viktor prefers.

Leviathan
2013-02-24, 01:10 AM
Kesten seems the best fit for General... which seems to mean he's the only guy with a sword whom we don't have at least a little bit of reason to doubt, so giving him a position with power doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Other than that, I agree with what's been said.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-24, 02:34 AM
With the stat guidelines, I think Kat will stick to Warden. Of course it makes me think, "I shoulda been a ranger!" lol :smallsmile:

RocketMan
2013-02-24, 03:21 PM
My preference would be for Ilya to be councillor, but that would leave Svetlana as grand diplomat which feels a little... odd.

FireberdGNOME
2013-02-24, 05:14 PM
Katerina would support Svetlana as councillor. Her assumption is that Svetlana would have the people's interest ever at heart. But, Ilya would make an excellent Diplomat... especially when we treat with Surtova :smalleek:

???
2013-02-24, 06:32 PM
My character idea I've got going would probably work best as marshall, but could also be high priest if it's flavored as mystic-in-chief.

Actually, AA, I think in the recruitment thread when I joined, you had a druid archtype or change that you presented. Do you still have that lying around?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-24, 09:14 PM
Kingdom Rules

The Kingdom Sheet
This is basically your Kingdom's character sheet. Here's a fancy version, but since I haven't found any you can write to directly, I'm going to include a copyable one.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QWvfj1J6-n4/S_Hb0uNm05I/AAAAAAAAAHQ/Vl4clsZPNWM/Kingdom%20Sheet.png

{table=head]|Total|Buildings|Edicts|Events|Leadership|Resource s|Alignment
Economy||||||||
Loyalty||||||||
Stability||||||||[/table]

Edicts:
Promotion level:
+Stability:
+BP Consumption:

Taxation level:
+Economy:
-Loyalty:

Festivals per year:
+Loyalty:
+BP Consumption:

Unrest:

Consumption: Size ( ), Cities ( ), Edicts ( ), Farms ( ), Other ( ).

Treasury:

As for the rest, I'm going to refer you to this very handy site. (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/pkingmaker/wikis/kingdom-building-rules) Aside from saving me time, I think it's actually against the rules to post large blocks of copyrighted material.

How these rules will play out in game is that, each turn, you'll get an event or events to handle IC, and then you deal with the updating of the sheet OOC. I would suggest that you each take turns being responsible or making decisions to avoid too much slow-down.

Give them a read-over. They're complicated at first, but they're not too too bad once you get the hang of them. If you don't like them, let me know. I've noticed that you folks haven't been incredibly hung-up on the kingdom elements of the game (which is great; most groups I see are obsessed with that right from square one). So if you'd rather we leave the rules in the background and run the kingdom essentially as a series of events which you respond to (and which thus alter your kingdom), we can definitely do that.

Blisstake
2013-02-24, 09:40 PM
It looks like the leadership roles in that link are a bit different than what you posted, so here's a copy of what AA posted earlier:

Ruler:
This is the kingdom's primary leader, who will start off with the title of baron, and advance in title as the kingdom grows.

Primary Stat: Charisma
Modifies: Economy, loyalty, or stability (ruler's choice each turn). Eventually it will modify all of the three.

Councilor
The councilor represents the people of the kingdom and advises the ruler.

General
The general commands the kingdom's armies and defends the people.

Primary Stat: Strength, Constitution, or Charisma

Grand Diplomat
The diplomat is responsible for relations with the external world, including Brevoy and any number of beings inhabiting the Stolen Lands.

High Priest
The high priest is responsible for spirituality, including any state-sponsored religion.

Magister
The magister is responsible for the arcane, and knowledge in general, within the kingdom.

Marshal
The marshal is in charge of the protection of outlying, rural regions of the kingdom.

Primary Stat: Dexterity or Wisdom

Spymaster
The spymaster observes the kingdom's seedier elements as well as probes for external threats.

Primary Stat: Intelligence, Dexterity, or Charisma
Modifies: Loyalty, Economy, or Stability (spymaster's choice each turn)

Treasurer
The treasurer is in charge of the finances of the kingdom.

Primary Stat: Intelligence or Wisdom

Warden
The warden is the head of the city's guards, and as such is responsible for keeping the peace and preventing crime.

Primary Stat: Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution
Modifies:Loyalty

Royal Assassin / Chief Judge
The assassin or judge both serve as the public official in charge of justice in the kingdom. Obviously, they play that role very differently, but the effect is the same. You can have only one person in this position (i.e. you cannot have both a judge and an assassin).

Primary Stat: Strength or Dexterity (for Royal Assassin); Wisdom or Intelligence (for Chief Judge)

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-24, 11:58 PM
Yeah, thanks for that, Blisstake. I forgot that I made a couple changes to the leadership positions.

Oh, and ???, here's the archtype you asked about. I made a few modifications, because I wasn't happy with it reading it over again.

Life Druid

Spell List: Add all Beast Shape spells to the druid's spell list.

Channel Energy: As the Cleric ability, except that any reference to Charisma is replaced with 1/2 Wisdom. If the druid is neutral evil, he/she must choose to channel negative energy. If neutral good, she must choose to channel positive energy. Other druids may choose.

This ability replaces Wild Shape.

Spontaneous Casting: A Divine Druid can spontaneously cast cure spells if he/she channels positive energy, and learns cure spells as a cleric (normally a druid learns all cure spells except cure light wounds as one spell level higher than cleric). If the druid channels negative energy, she adds inflict spells to her spell list, and may spontaneously cast these.

This replaces the ability to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally spells.

RocketMan
2013-02-26, 06:16 PM
So here's what we've figured out thus far for positions. I feel like we should get these nailed down soon.

Decided
Ruler: Viktor
General: Kesten (?)
High Priest: Jhod
Magister: Zinovia
Marshal: ???'s new character (?)
Treasurer: Oleg
Warden: Katerina

Undecided
Councilor: Ilya or Svetlana
Grand Diplomat: Ilya or Svetlana
Royal Assassin: Tireas or Vasily or Akiros
Spymaster: Tireas or Vasily

My thoughts are that Ilya could take councilor and Tireas could take spymaster, that leaves diplomacy that could be more of a cooperative enterprise amongst all of us, since I think that's something everyone is looking forward to. Spymaster is also probably more interesting to roleplay than royal assassin.

That would leave Svetlana as the diplomat, though she probably wouldn't have a ton of autonomy. I'd prefer Vasily for royal assassin; all things being equal, he's funnier.

Blisstake
2013-02-26, 06:28 PM
Works for me. Tireas is better as an Assassin, but he is more interested in Spymaster anyway, so if everyone's fine with that, he'll take it.

He could also be councilor, but I think that's a bad idea unless he has access to a Hat of Disguise or something.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-02-28, 02:19 PM
Alright, folks, seems like you're all RPed out. If you've got something to say to any of the NPCs, speak up now. Otherwise, I'll be doing a fast-forward post tonight after I get back from class.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-01, 12:26 AM
So it turns out that I'll need a bit more OOC business before we can dig into Part 2. That is, I'll need:

A kingdom name,
A city name,
A city location.

RocketMan has previously discussed city and kingdom names. For your city location, you can pick any hex you've explored. That said, a few will get you advantages: Oleg's Post will help you build a shop, the old temple of Erastil will help you build a temple, and the Stag Lord's fort will help you build a castle.

As well, I need people to decide whether we're using the kingdom rules or not. Take a read over them, and then tell me if you'd prefer to use them or to keep them in the background.

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-01, 04:38 AM
I say use the Stag Lord's fort. 1) it's further away from Restov and Brevoy, implying more autonomy, 2) head start on a castle.

For names, I think our capitol should be named for Father Grigori. Leonograd sounds good to me. Nothing really sang to me in regards to a country name.

For using the Kingdom rules, I am just as happy simply flowing through the story more naturally. However, the rules don't look too bad, and if that helps the flow, then I am all for it. Or, if the rules hamper the story, then no. Otherwise, it looks fine to me.

Blisstake
2013-03-01, 10:12 AM
I'm not crazy about any of the names that have been suggested, but I don't really have any suggestions of my own, so I won't complain about what gets chosen.

Stag Lord's fort sounds like a good place to start the kingdom.

Whether or not we use the kingdom rules... I'm not sure. Normally I'm all for them, but after running this once here, and once with my friends, I'm finding out that they really slow the game down, and if you find a problem with the rules, soetimes it can be a pain to get things back on track. That being said, I'm sure most of you are playing this precisely to give them a shot, so we might as well start by using them.

Leviathan
2013-03-02, 03:56 PM
I agree. That Stag Lord's fort is probably the best spot.

For the name, I recall liking Stag's Fall or something of that sort. Maybe we could call the kingdom something after Grigori? I like the sound of Leonov or Leonovoy, but those might be pretty close to Restov and Brevoy. Leonsk, then? Leonovo? Leonzny?

For the kingdom rules, I'm actually with Blisstake. The last Kingmaker group I was in had major problems implementing the kingdom rules and died as a consequence. I'm not sure they add all that much that can't be done with a much less complex system (say, just keeping general scores for how well things are going).

???
2013-03-02, 11:15 PM
If I'd known we were going to name something after him, I'd have given Grigori a better name for countryifying.:smalltongue:

She's not finished yet, but I've started work on my druid, who is at the moment named Eluviel. Here's the sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=505854

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-03, 05:25 PM
Apparently my machine is pulling cached versions of this page :( I was waiting and waiting for some replies... :) Good to know this is still moving

RocketMan
2013-03-03, 05:53 PM
I agree with Leviathan (I was in that same group!). While I don't think the kingdom rules are that complex, I'm also not sure they're entirely necessary either. I mean, what does knowing that we've got x number of farms or y number of marketplaces add to the story?

That said, I'm not entirely sure how you could simplify the rules to make the more manageable. I feel like you'd want to keep the hex claiming and city founding if nothing else. But the Economy, Stability, Loyalty thing seems pretty intrinsically tied up with the other mechanics.

In terms of the kingdom stuff: the Stag Lord's for sounds like a good location to me. Also, here are the capital names I posted earlier, which I still like:

For the capital, my preference would be to make it a compound word type name. Since we're going to kill (presumably) the Stag Lord, we could name it: Stag's End, Stag's Heart, or Stag's Fall. Other names might include Greenheart, Southguard, Hope's Stand, Riversong, or Pinewall.

Leviathan suggested Stag's Fall, which I like a lot too. Stag's Heart and Riversong would round out my top 3, though Ilya, being dramatic, would IC probably like Hope's Stand. We can always keep the names we don't choose for capitals for subsequent towns later on.

For kingdom names, here are some new ideas that are less of a mouthful. Again, generally using the compound word strategy here :smalltongue:

The Greenmarches (Greenbelt+Narlmarches), Solace, Haven, Three Rivers (Shrike, Thorn, Skunk), or Nordmark (because of the northern position in the River Kingdoms).

I'm not really sure about any of those, but let me know what you all think.

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-03, 06:54 PM
If I had to choose from Ilya's list, "Southguard" for the country name and "Stag's End" for the capitol name. Though I still prefer Leonograd, or something in honor of Father Grigori. Plus, that keeps a strong 'Russian' style. :smallsmile:

Winterfell
2013-03-03, 11:03 PM
I don't know the kingdom rules very well, so I don't have a firm opinion on whether to use them.

I like Stag's End for the capital. For the country, I'm okay with Southguard, or alternatively Southwall, Southmark, or something like that. I really like the idea of incorporating Gregori's name into the country somehow, just now sure how.

Blisstake
2013-03-03, 11:14 PM
Southwall probably isn't the best, since there's a nation called Lastwall.

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-04, 08:12 AM
Very true, Blisstake. Though unless you go full Carrion Crown and run away from the Stolen Lands, Lastwall will be irrelevant. Besides, it's not like countries never get named similarly (Iran and Iraq, anyone?).

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-04, 05:51 PM
Nah, that's Persia and the Caliphate of Baghdad. Not alike at all :smalltongue:

In any event, it's been a few days since the story moved. Are we just settling on using Kingdom rules or not? I'm eager to move on and see where this campaign takes us now that we are the 'powers that be'

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-04, 08:22 PM
I'm parsing the thread for where you all stand right now. I'm going to get an IC post done, which means that, at least for the first turn, we will not be using the kingdom rules. You seem to be swinging that way, but there may be more discussion on the matter.

The main thing is I may have to decide on a kingdom name to do that :smalltongue:

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-04, 11:21 PM
IC post is done. What'd be good is if you could all write about what you've done during the two months. Also, shamelessly stealing the idea from a conversation with Leviathan, if your character has changed physically over the course of the adventure (clothes, hair, etc) you can describe that too.

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-05, 01:18 AM
Is the map on the OOC intro still the most current?

Blisstake
2013-03-06, 02:59 PM
Also, was there any loot in the Fortress?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-07, 08:21 AM
Loot? Why on earth would you want a silly thing like that? But here it is:

+1 leather armour
+1 composite longbow
Masterwork longsword
+1 rapier
Masterwork studded leather armour
Cloak of resistance +1
Stag's helm (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/kingmaker-chronicles/items/stag-s-helm)

As for the map, no, I haven't gotten around to updating it with your city's location. It's in square E7.

Blisstake
2013-03-07, 11:58 AM
Adding our previous total, Zinovia, Ilya, Viktor, and Tireas have 3200gp. That's gross amount, and not including any expenses you may have made. You might want to keep track of those on your character sheet. Grigori and Kat have 618 plus whatever was left from their starting gold.

Loot table update!

For the sake of simplicity, let's say Grigori's equipment/money was donated to the Church of Abadar.

Bards and Ninjas can't use longbows, so the Composite Longbow should either go to Viktor, Katerina, or be sold.

Cloak of Resistance is always a useful item. I guess we could all roll for it or something? :P

The Stag's Helm is probably best for Ilya since he does the most ranged attacks, or Tireas/Kat since they have sneak attack. Or we could prop it up as a trophy in Stag's End.

To sell (75% of base):
+1 Leather Armor (870gp)
Mwk Studded Leather (131gp)
Mwk Longsword (236gp)
+1 rapier (1740)

Divided five ways, that sells for 595gp. We also get 2,000gp each for taking down the Stag Lord. That brings the total for Tireas, Ilya, Zinovia, and Viktor to 5795gp, and Kat's total to 3213gp.

Remember, please keep track of all your purchases/sales. The number listed is the gross amount.

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-07, 04:39 PM
Grigori's equipment should form the basis for our shrine to Adabar in Stag's End. Donated to the Church, and not available to us, but gives us a center point for our communities faith.

Kat could take the bow, but I don't think she would ever use it :smallsigh: Of course the cloak would be useful, but do we have a plan for division of (contested) loots? We could roll or decide who needs it most (Kat's saves (other than REF are not stellar)

RocketMan
2013-03-07, 11:24 PM
Ilya could use the helm mechanically, but I'm really not sure how to justify that IC :smalltongue:

If we're doing the cloak by need:
Tireas +11
Ilya +11
Katerina +12
Zinovia +13 (already has a cloak of resistance)
Viktor +20 (bloody paladins)

Which implies to be that we should really roll between Tireas, Ilya, and Katerina for who gets the cloak. I've taken the liberty of doing that here (highest wins!):
Tireas: [roll0]
Ilya: [roll1]
Katerina: [roll2]

So, unless someone has some objection to this method, the cloak goes to Tireas.

Also, AA, I've added the +1 short bow that Ilya bought the last time we were at Oleg's to his sheet, if that's alright. I'll have an IC post up later tonight.

Winterfell
2013-03-07, 11:26 PM
Viktor doesn't need the longbow or the cloak of resistance (or at least the rest of you need it more). If we want to make purchases, can we say that we did that in the months since we killed the Stag Lord?

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-08, 12:08 AM
Oh, shoot, I forgot the most important part: y'all get 2,000 gp each to spend as you'd like. You can also use your existing cash however you'd like. So yeah, you can spend it.

Blisstake
2013-03-08, 12:42 PM
All right, I updated the last post with the 2,000gp extra. And no, I don't object to rolling for loot, especially when it ends up with Tireas getting the higest roll :smalltongue:

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-08, 01:11 PM
Katerina would like to spend some dough on getting her already MW Dueling Sword enchanted to +1; that should cost me the 'bonus cash', yes?

I'd also like to spend 1k on a Cloak of resistance and 200 on (4) potions of CLW, leaving me with 13 gp :smallwink:

RocketMan
2013-03-08, 01:24 PM
Ilya has ~3300 right now I believe, so I think I'll just hold on to that for now. A cloak of resistance would be nice, but in the long run I'd rather get Ilya a belt of dexterity. We all know he needs the bonus to attack rolls!

Winterfell
2013-03-10, 09:34 PM
Does anyone want to lend Viktor 4 gp so he can buy a belt of strength +2?

FireberdGNOME
2013-03-11, 03:03 PM
Sure ;) I can't get anything with 13 gold anyway

That would leave me 9

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-11, 06:01 PM
Hey y'all, I'm currently in sunny South Carolina for March Break. I obviously have internet, but in the interest of relaxation, I may not post too much. I'll get something up this week though.

Also, I've received a PM expressing enjoyment of reading our game, here it is:

Ello there.

I'm just dropping you a line to express how much I enjoyed reading through the IC posts of your Kingmaker game. Both your posts and those of your players are excellent. I particularly liked your first post for Rivers Run Red, your handling of the reformed bandits, and Father Grigori's death.

I considered posting this in the OOC to express my admiration for your player's posting, but I figured that would be disruptive, thus this message.

I look forward to being able to continue reading it

Winterfell
2013-03-12, 08:52 PM
Woo, glad to see we're appreciated :smallcool:

ApatheticAbacus
2013-03-24, 10:56 PM
Alright, I was going to wait for Leviathan before updating, but I've waited long enough :smalltongue:

Also, ???, you still with us? Haven't heard from you in a bit.

Leviathan
2013-04-12, 07:56 PM
Hey all! I've been bidden by AA to apologize profusely for his absence. He, like me, has been extremely busy with end of school year stuff. He's wrapping up over the next few days, so he says to "get ready for action soon."

FireberdGNOME
2013-04-14, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the update! I had gotten to only checking every three days thinking this PbP was dead :)

FireberdGNOME
2013-05-12, 09:44 AM
:smallfrown: Is this dead then? :smallfrown: