PDA

View Full Version : AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands



Pages : [1] 2

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-03, 01:01 PM
KINGMAKER
Part I: The Stolen Lands
Out of Character Thread

Welcome to Kingmaker, everyone! Iím very pleased to be running this game, and excited to get things underway. Iíll flesh out this thread more, and use it to explain some of the unique rules of this adventure path, particularly those for exploration and, later, kingdom building. But for now, letís jump into things!

IN CHARACTER THREAD HERE. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13335190#post13335190)

{table=head]Player|Character|Class|Race|Alignment|Role
Leviathan|Zinovia Surtova (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=405874)|Wizard|Human|Neutral Evil|Arcane spellcaster
RocketMan|Ilya Surtova (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=36100)|Bard|Human|Chaotic Good|Support
Winterfell|Viktor Markov (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=406048)|Paladin|Human|Lawful Good|Frontline warrior
Blisstake|Tireas Slate (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=406338)|Ninja|Tiefling|Neutr al|Melee damage, skills
???|Grigori Leonisov (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=43618)|Cleric|Human|Lawful Good|Healing, divine support
FireberdGNOME|Katerina the Maid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=466644)|Fighter/Rogue|Human|Lawful Good|Mobile melee[/table]

Experience Points: 9400/15000

Character Skills and Saves for DM Reference

Group Initiative Bonus: +2 (average of all initiatives).

Saves
{table=head]|Ilya|Viktor|Zinovia|Tireas|Grigori|Katerina
Fort|+1|+8|+2|+1|+4|+4
Ref|+7|+4|+3|+5|+0|+7
Will|+1|+6|+4|+4|+10|+0[/table]

Skills
{table=head]|Ilya|Viktor|Zinovia|Tireas|Grigori|Katerina
Perception|+3|+0|+1|+7|+4|+6
Sense Motive|+9|+6|+1|+0|+10|+4
Spellcraft|+6|-|+10|-|+8|-[/table]

Knowledges
Ilya: History +6, Nobility +6, Architecture +6, Geography +6, Local +6, Bardic Knowledge (all) +2

Viktor: Bodyguard, not scholar!

Zinovia: Arcana +10, Nature +10, Planes +10

Tireas: Nobility +4

Grigori: Nobility +9, Religion +9

Katerina: Local +4

Languages (in addition to Common

Ilya: Elven

Viktor: What part of "warrior, not scholar," is not understood?!

Zinovia: Infernal, Draconic, Abyssal, Sylvan, Azlanti, Giant, Aklo, Ignan, Terran. Damned pedants.

Tireas: Abyssal

Exploration

Basically, if you turn your attention to the map of the Greenbelt in my OP, you'll see that it is made up of hexes, each given an alphanumeric.

To travel through the Greenbelt, you move through these hexes. You can either simply walk through them, or you can explore. Your Charter demands that you explore them, but going through without doing so is faster.

When you explore a square, I'll uncover it on the map and you'll be able to see the terrain there for yourself. Walking through merely gets you whatever description I give of it. As well, by exploring a hex you'll come across points of interest that are, well, interesting. Oh and you'll get 25 XP per hex explored.

What I'd like from you guys for exploration is that you have a 10+ hex route planned out whenever you start to go exploring. That will make things go really fast. In fact, it would be a good idea to get an OOC discussion about your first route going now while we continue the wondrous RP in the IC thread.

Also, if you're curious about speed:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3021/screenshot20120608at100.png

Area Map: The Greenbelt
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9761/screenshot20130113at652.png

First thing's first here. Choose a colour for your character! Then you can head over to the IC. A link for that is above.

In your first IC post, give a description of your character, just so people who may not have read over everyone can visualize everyone.


Geography of the Stolen Lands

The Stolen Lands in Context
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/map_images/327776/Kingmaker_map_-_the_Stolen_Lands.jpg


http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2DNya98inAI/Tbwz5rPGARI/AAAAAAAAAAU/sieYAh8qOlY/s1600/The+Stolen+Lands.jpg

The Stolen Lands have long formed a border region separating Brevoy in the north from the River Kingdoms. The region's fierce reputation for defeating any attempts to claim it has foiled most recent plans for colonization before they begin. Some of the volatile River Kings may have designs upon them, for, in their own precarious situations, they are always seeking new territory.

The Stolen Lands themselves are a band of territory comprising a startling diversity of terrains and fauna, which some scholars have theorized bears some relationship with the longstanding and mysterious fey presence in its woods and valleys.

The latest attempt to claim the Stolen Lands has been initiated by the Swordlords of Restov, involving simultaneous expeditions into all four regions of the Stolen Lands. Of them, the Greenbelt was deemed unimportant, and so left to a handful of unknown amateurs... while the Nomen Heights, Hooktongue Slough, and Glenebon Uplands have all been assigned to experienced mercenary companies.

The Greenbelt

The region known as the Greenbelt consists of two areas: the vast, verdant forest known as the Narlmarches; and the hilly plains of the Kamelands.

The Narlmarches
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/8391/450pxbrowncreekyukonala.jpg
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/SiteCollectionImages/Plants/em_fwf_wa_rainforest.JPG

The Narlmarches are a thick northern forest of tall, deep green conifers that grow almost side by side in places. It is ripe with game, and most of the few hunters and trappers who frequent the Stolen Lands do so in this area. Fey, as well, are relatively abundant in the woodlands.

The Kamelands
http://morriscourse.com/elements_of_ecology/images/tundra.jpg

Comprising the other half of the Greenbelt, the Kamelands are windlashed plains of long golden grasses and short mosses and wildflowers alike. It is dotted by ridges, valleys, and hills. Of these, a few huge round mounds are known as kames, from which the area derives its name. Some say they are natural, but other speak of ancient markers or burial mounds, or even more fantastic tales.

RocketMan
2012-06-03, 01:10 PM
I'm really excited for this game! Looks like it's going to be a fun group! Ilya will speak in Medium Turquoise!

Leviathan
2012-06-03, 01:24 PM
Also excited for this game. ApatheticAbacus is a great DM, so I have high hopes for it.

Zinovia shall speak in dark red, I think. If someone else would like that colour, though, I have others that would be just as good.

Winterfell
2012-06-03, 01:44 PM
I don't have time to do a full IC post yet, but Viktor will speak in Dark Orange. I'm really excited to get in and get started!

Blisstake
2012-06-03, 01:46 PM
Tireas Slate will speak in Slate Gray.

Interested to be a co-player with Leviathan, and playing with RocketMan again :smallsmile:

Edit: Hey, before I post, have any of the characters openly confronted or discussed Tireas for being a Tiefling? I could completely imagine no one doing that out of either uneasy politeness or disinterest (Zinovia).

Blisstake
2012-06-03, 03:07 PM
Oh, hey AA, Tireas actually has a +6 to perception. And I forgot to put in languages; he's also got Abyssal for being a Tiefling (though he doesn't even realize he speaks it yet).

Edit: And +3 to will total, 1 from the Bastard trait.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-03, 03:30 PM
@ Blisstake: Alright, I'll make those changes when I have a moment. :smallsmile:

As for RP, I think it's probably best to assume that the journey has been unremarkable for any RP interactions. Probably it's been fairly quiet too talking-wise. So if someone wants to confront Tireas, they can do it IC now, or whenever would be suitable.

Oh My God
2012-06-03, 03:50 PM
The words of the holy man will be a soothing and refreshing green.

Estanos has a chest, and a pair of caged birds, that he owns but would not likely have carried the whole way (if possible). Would there have been a mounted PC willing to schlep it, or is there the possibility for having hired a cart down to Oleg's?

Strategy Talking Time: I assume that Viktor should be the recipient of the Magic Weapon spell I've got on me at the start of each combat. Following that, I had been planning on casting 'Bless'; however, that's a morale bonus and present stacking stickiness. Is our bard planning on playing encouraging music? If he is, I'll likely grab 'Protection from Evil' to toss on our Paladin-tank as well. I would also like any suggestions on spell load out anyone wants to give.

As for interactions outside the party: Estanos can drop a pretty serious diplomacy bomb, but will have difficulties with any sort of dialogue which involves dishonesty. He won't really lie. So if we're trying to parlay with some hostiles, that's Estanos. If we're trying to convince some hostiles that we're really just the weekly grog delivery, that's not Estanos.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-03, 05:15 PM
Sure, I think it's fair that a wagon could have been hired to carry a few things. Just don't sweat that stuff for now.

While you're talking strategy, it would be helpful to get two things from you...

1. A standard marching order. First, for single-file, and then for double-file.

2. A watch order for resting in the wilderness. Assume eight hours of resting per night. Zinovia needs to sleep through all of that in order to re-prepare spells.

Leviathan
2012-06-03, 05:17 PM
Zinovia I intend to be mainly a damager and controller, so I'll happily leave the buffing to Estanos, except for really nice ones that are only on the wizard spell list like haste. Not sure how well doing a damage wizard is going to go, but we'll see soon :smalltongue:

Edit: In regard to AA's remarks:

1. Proposed single-file marching order, from front to back: Viktor, Tireas, Estanos, Zinovia, Ilya.

Proposed two abreast marching order, from front to back: Viktor and Tireas, Zinovia and Estanos, Ilya.

2. For the watch order, I think two hours each for Ilya, Tireas, Viktor, and Estanos. The order doesn't seem particularly important, though Tireas and Estanos have better perception. So maybe they should go... whenever random encounters are most likely.

RocketMan
2012-06-03, 05:19 PM
Ilya will use his music whenever it seems worthwhile. Until 7th level it's a standard action to start, so he'll use it on big fights or whenever we've got a round or two to prepare first. Honestly, it's probably more efficient to just go for the Rapid Shot straight away on smaller fights.

My suggested marching orders:

Single-file:
1. Viktor - the tank should go first.
2. Tireas - it sucks to have to move 20 feet from the back of the line when you want to get into melee.
3. Zinovia - the squishiest.
4. Estanos - by process of elimination :smalltongue:
5. Ilya - ranged, and with 18 AC not likely to get splattered easily.

Double-file:
1. Viktor and Tireas
2. Zinovia and Estanos
3. Ilya

Blisstake
2012-06-03, 05:37 PM
Tireas is actually really squishy. I might eventually pick up toughness, but he's basically just going to do as much flanking damage as possible until he's picked off :smalltongue:

Still, the single file order makes sense. For two across I'd suggest:

1. Viktor

2. Estanos and Tireas

3. Ilya and Zinovia

Leviathan
2012-06-03, 05:42 PM
Blisstake's two-across marching order makes sense. Scratch mine.

For watch duty, let me first say that Zinovia is lucky (:smalltongue:), and then move on to something constructive.

It occurs to me that tieflings have darkvision, so Tireas should definitely take one of the two blocks in the middle. I'd say the order should be (from earliest watch to latest): Viktor, Tireas, Estanos, Ilya.

RocketMan
2012-06-03, 05:59 PM
Yes, Blisstake's march order makes sense to me as well, as does Leviathan's watch order.

Winterfell
2012-06-03, 07:50 PM
I'm fine with either marching order, though I think Blisstake's is probably better. IC, Viktor would probably rather be closer to Ilya, but it makes too much sense to do this any other way.

Oh My God
2012-06-03, 08:58 PM
So, since Ilya will be playing bass during the battles, I'm thinking about switching Bless out for Protection from Evil for definites then. Agreement? Thoughts?

I like the marching orders that are generally liked; the watch order doesn't seem like it matters too much, random encounters being by their nature random.

RocketMan
2012-06-03, 09:30 PM
I would say that's probably a good idea. Protection from Evil is a nice thing to have.

Also, AA, I goofed up on Ilya's Spellcraft. Your table (and my sheet, up until now) said it wasn't a Bard class skill. It is, and thus should be +5, rather than +2.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-04, 12:24 PM
I've done your group initiative now, tentatively. Right now it sits at +1, and I've done it using the mean, rounded down. It's worth a discussion, though, whether you want to use the mean or median for initiative. Mean will, for better and for worse, though largely better as you get higher dex, let one or two people disproportionately affect the result. On the other hand, median nets you a higher result currently, and might for a while. Any preference?

Blisstake
2012-06-04, 12:31 PM
Wait, let me get my math textbook!

Okay, hmm, Right now Tireas is the Median value, but both he and Zinovia would need to boost their Dex (or take II) to increase the overall modifier.

If we do it through mean, we'd need a total of +5 initiative across everyone for the overall to be increased (except I think we're at a fraction now, so maybe less for the first increase?)

I hate math.

Leviathan
2012-06-04, 12:42 PM
Right now we're at +6 as out cumulative initiative. So 6/5=1.2 Rounded down to 1. That means we'd need to get our cumulative initiative to +10 to get 10/5=2.

To get the median initiative, both Tireas and Zinovia would have to move their initiative up. If only one does, the other becomes the median and the score remains the same. I don't plan on getting too much dex for Zinovia, so I think for that reason, mean seems better.

Winterfell
2012-06-04, 05:41 PM
I'm voting for mean initiative. In the long run it will be better. Also, I think Estanos' IC plan is good. I have a question for AA, is it possible to close the gates after the bandits are inside? Would there be any place to hide by the gates?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-04, 06:13 PM
@ Winterfell: You can certainly close the gate once the bandits have come inside. To do so, you'd have to be on any square right beside the gate. That means it might not be possible to do it while hiding. You'd first need to move to one of those squares, and then with a DC 10 Str check you can close the gates as a standard action. If you fail the Str check, it takes a full-round.

Winterfell
2012-06-04, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I assumed I'd have to be standing by the gate to close it. But will the bandits see Viktor before they enter if he's doing that? Or will he have to move from somewhere else to the gate once they enter and hope he passes the strength check?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-04, 09:19 PM
The bandits will see Viktor if he just stands out in the open, which is what he'd have to do to close the gate from any square but one of those between A2 and the wall. There are two squares there from which he can take a five-foot step as a free action to reach the gate (one directly under the first bed on the left of A2, and one under the first nightstand), and then a standard action to attempt to close it.

It seems there are two plans on the table. Let's get a quick vote.

1. OMG's plan raised by Estanos IC: 1. Zinovia, Viktor, and Estanos between A2 and the wall. Ilya on the wall above the gate. Tireas between A3 and the east wall (I believe).

2. Leviathan's plan raised by Zinovia IC: Attack, with Viktor and Tireas on one side, Zinovia on the other, Ilya on the wall, and Estanos where ever he can best support.

I assume we have 1 for each side, and Winterfell has said he prefers plan 1. So if we could get a majority on one side or the other, we can head onwards.

Blisstake
2012-06-04, 09:38 PM
I'll go with plan 1.

RocketMan
2012-06-04, 10:08 PM
I'm voting for Plan 1 as well.

Leviathan
2012-06-04, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I think plan 1 might be better than mine :smalltongue: Let's go with that one.

Edit: And to be clear, despite sitting on the bed, Zinovia is still very much open to RP with anyone who should wander in :smallsmile:

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 09:21 AM
Effective writing on making Tireas really, really creepy.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-05, 09:39 AM
Tireas creeps me out, which is great, and I am picturing Zinovia's voice as a female Darth Vader when she goes into her coughing fits where... she talks... like this. :smallbiggrin:

RocketMan
2012-06-05, 10:09 AM
Yes, I'm having a hard time right now deciding whether Tireas or Zinovia is creepier. Right now I'm probably going to go with Zinovia my a slight margin, though I have to say I loved her medicine scene Leviathan, it did a great job humanizing her more :smallsmile:

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 01:01 PM
The medicine gave me echoes of Raistlin and Elric, which is why it actually makes me -more- creeped out by her than I was before. I'm voting her most likely to sell us all out for godlike powers.

Leviathan
2012-06-05, 03:36 PM
Cool, I'd never actually heard of either of those characters, but wikipedia tells me that they bear a definite similarity to Zinovia. I guess power-hungry wizards are common on fantasy literature :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2012-06-05, 04:39 PM
Out of Curiosity, Leviathan, could you let me know where the +3CL and +4 to spell DC is coming from?

So far I have:

+1 CL: Varisian Tattoo (bonus feat)
+1 CL: Bloatmage Initiative
+1 CL: Trait
+1 DC: Trait
+1 DC: Spell Focus

And then +1 damage from evocation.

Leviathan
2012-06-05, 04:55 PM
Certainly, Blisstake. You've got the three CR increases already, which, with the normal level 1 damage, comes to 4d4.

For the DC, I'm actually not sure, perhaps it was a typo on the sheet. It should be +1 trait, +1 spell focus. But I can't find the other two So I'm assuming typo or late-night character building resulting in me confusing CL and DC.

I'll edit my IC post and sheet to reflect that. Thanks for the catch Blisstake :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2012-06-05, 04:59 PM
Actually, it was only +3 listed anyway; I forgot her intelligence was 20. So the DC comes to 18? 11+5+2?

Still pretty damn high :smallbiggrin:

Leviathan
2012-06-05, 05:00 PM
Yup, I wanted to at least make sure that if I was playing a sub-optimal sort of wizard, I could do it well with lots of dice and high save DCs! It's really quite irksome that intelligence plays no role in doing damage like the primary stat does for many other classes.

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 05:03 PM
Lets not start talking about stats. " Hey, you're a Cleric. You -need- two stats, and if you want -any- skills, you need a third as well. Oh, yeah, and you're -supposed- to be back up combat, too! Hahahahah!"

Leviathan
2012-06-05, 05:05 PM
Yup, sometimes being a big dumb fighter not expected to use any skills seems preferable to anything else!

I think Estanos has very good fluff to back up the MADness of cleric, though!

Blisstake
2012-06-05, 05:09 PM
Tireas thinks he's a fighter, statwise :smalltongue:

Leviathan
2012-06-05, 05:13 PM
More a paladin, actually. Not too many fighters find use for +3 Charisma :smalltongue: But yes, he's a really strong rogue!

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 05:14 PM
How obvious is the fact that Tireas isn't -actually- paying attention to the prayer? I need to know whether or not Estanos is going to start witnessing to the tiefling. :smallbiggrin:

Blisstake
2012-06-05, 05:19 PM
He's not making it obvious, exactly, but Estanos has enough sense motive to be suspicious about it...

...assuming he doesn't want to believe Tireas is listening intently, of course :smallsmile:

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 06:49 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm sad I didn't make a druid. That exploration map is -many hexes-, and we've none of us who is particularly good at wood craft.

I am kind of curious what the guy back in Brevoy who actually picked this group was thinking. :smallwink:

Blisstake
2012-06-05, 06:51 PM
I am kind of curious what the guy back in Brevoy who actually picked this group was thinking. :smallwink:

"I thought more people would apply"?

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 07:10 PM
" What do you mean, people aren't excited to tramp around a monster-infested forest hunting bandits and drawing a map?"

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-05, 07:10 PM
Speaking as the "guy back in Brevoy," I can assure you that I have my reasons :smallwink: For one thing, he cares more about personality than survival skills. For another, survival actually plays pretty much no role in exploration. I mean, it'll help you eat for free, but that's about it. And maybe some of you with good diplomacy can negotiate something with Oleg (if you survive) to deal with that problem. Movement speed is actually the key feature of exploration.

Oh My God
2012-06-05, 07:19 PM
Speaking as the "guy back in Brevoy," I can assure you that I have my reasons :smallwink: For one thing, he cares more about personality than survival skills. For another, survival actually plays pretty much no role in exploration. I mean, it'll help you eat for free, but that's about it. And maybe some of you with good diplomacy can negotiate something with Oleg (if you survive) to deal with that problem. Movement speed is actually the key feature of exploration.

I didn't mean the reasons -you- chose our team, I mean the actual IC NPC sitting behind a desk. I doubt -he- chose us based on how interesting we were.

Though... you never know. Bureaucrats are a weird and fickle bunch. :smallbiggrin:

Survival might not be too useful, but I was more thinking of utility like 'Speak with Animals'. The sheer number of times I've seen that used to just wreck havoc with the world around a druid cannot be overstated.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-05, 07:25 PM
Oh I know what you meant, not to worry. Maybe it was first-come, first-served with a charter :smalltongue:

Winterfell
2012-06-06, 12:34 AM
I apologize for the short and delayed post; I had a family event that went later than expected. I should be much more available tomorrow.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-06, 01:59 AM
Not to worry, Winterfell. We all have our slow days.

@ RocketMan: Your post didn't specify which squares you Greased. I assumed you hit the squares B8 and B9 were in, and the two squares on the wagon, since that's minimally intrusive. Tell me if I got it wrong :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2012-06-06, 06:21 AM
Is Tireas still hidden, detected, or would you like a stealth check?

At any rate, I'm not going until after Zinovia :smalltongue:

Leviathan
2012-06-06, 07:42 AM
Gosh, you'd think I had another burning hands prepared with a worry like that :smalltongue:

Oh My God
2012-06-06, 09:02 AM
Yeah, come on Bliss. Its not like she's Heronius Napalm V (http://lparchive.org/Icewind-Dale-2/Update%202/), after all. We shouldn't have to worry -too- much about the burning.

On a tactics note: Ilya is now pretty much the only one who can deal with the bandits outside the fort, at least until Viktor and Tireas can join him on the wall. It would be a Bad Thing if those bandits can get away to report in.

RocketMan
2012-06-06, 10:02 AM
I had actually assumed the Grease spell would cover the two squares south of the prone bandits, since, well, it's supposed to be intrusive. Sorry, next time I'll specify.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-06, 10:07 AM
@ Blisstake: Seeing as your SLA didn't require you to do anything that would make you detectable, and seeing as I assumed you all took 20s on your stealth checks to hide, I'd say you're still well hidden. Besides, the bandits are still flat footed, so even if you weren't you're still in sneak attack territory.

@ Rocketman: Okay, we'll move the position of the grease, as nobody has used either of those squares.

RocketMan
2012-06-06, 10:13 AM
On a tactics note: Ilya is now pretty much the only one who can deal with the bandits outside the fort, at least until Viktor and Tireas can join him on the wall. It would be a Bad Thing if those bandits can get away to report in.

Oh also, I feel like it won't be a problem, since the bandits outside won't know that they're losing inside. So I imagine they'll devote at least a few rounds to trying to get in first.

Blisstake
2012-06-06, 10:38 AM
Slice, slice, slice. Glad I didn't botch the first attack of the game.

Anyway, if they start running, Tireas has a shortbow. Might be able to pick off one or two once the inside bandits are taken care of.

RocketMan
2012-06-06, 02:44 PM
My Jensi (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=19403) approves of using Channel Energy to heal one person :smallbiggrin:

Leviathan
2012-06-06, 02:48 PM
Zinovia can also use her bonded item to spontaneously cast another magic missile if we need to finish off a runner. I'd prefer to hold on to it for a utility spell, but it's a safe option.

Blisstake
2012-06-06, 03:30 PM
And, Aldrin, of course, approves of using Ear Piercing Scream in any situation.

Blisstake
2012-06-06, 04:00 PM
Oh, and I'm going to roll here, and post later, so I can have a good idea whether I hit or not.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Leviathan
2012-06-06, 05:48 PM
Heh, Aldrin does like his ear-piercing scream. Of course, the way Zinovia is going, she'll be burning hands lady soon.

(For those not understanding these strange names and references, Blisstake and RocketMan both play in a Curse of the Crimson Throne game I run).

Oh My God
2012-06-06, 05:50 PM
[roll0] for the channeling.

In jokes are fun. Those characters look fun, too (despite the Oracle looking completely sick; even at level 6, a primary stat above 22 seems gross).

Blisstake
2012-06-06, 10:11 PM
I do love a good old prisoner dilemma.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-06, 10:13 PM
Muahahaha! So do I :smallsmile: It's a great way to practice finding compromise between sides.

RocketMan
2012-06-06, 10:15 PM
But not The Prisoner's Dilemma :smalltongue:

I feel like we're going to end up killing him. I've never seen a Kingmaker group do that before!

Oh My God
2012-06-06, 10:33 PM
I'm feel like my character is pointless and out of place.

Leviathan
2012-06-06, 10:33 PM
Naw, I think the people who advocate killing him don't have any personal stake in it. For them, it's just efficiency, not morality. And generally speaking, people who believe a course of action is moral will fight harder for it. As we've seen in the IC thread just now :smalltongue:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-06, 10:35 PM
I'm feel like my character is pointless and out of place.

I don't see this at all. I think Estanos has been really good with this scene :smallsmile:

Oh My God
2012-06-06, 10:38 PM
He's been bypassed for talking to the prisoner, has two evil party mates who are going to constantly be disagreeing with him, and his healing and protection were unneeded for the combat.

Winterfell
2012-06-06, 10:40 PM
You can most certainly join in talking to the prisoner. My impression was we were deciding between death or imprisonment for him, and that this issue was by no means resolved.

Oh My God
2012-06-06, 10:44 PM
One would -hope- that the execution/imprisonment 'discussion' would not be continued in dialogue with the -prisoner-, since that would essentially ruin any attempts at diplomacy and make the point moot. The conversation with the prisoner is, at its heart, about 1) obtaining information and 2) determining repentance.

The whole execution/imprisonment 'discussion' is probably over, in any event.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-06, 10:44 PM
Without Estanos' buffs and healing, Viktor likely would have been very close to death. Sometimes it's hard to be as visible as killing things, but he is playing an important role in combat.

As to the prisoner, you're welcome to talk to him. The issue of killing him hasn't been resolved, but RocketMan decided to wake him up, so he's awake. I'd imagine that after people having finished interrogating him, the talk will go back to what to do with him in the long run.

As to evil companions, they were the ones who backed down on this issue, and we've already seen that there can be agreement between sides (to defend Oleg's Post, for example).

Leviathan
2012-06-08, 07:11 AM
So how much EXP did we get for that fight? And for that matter, how are we keeping track of it? On our sheets, or will you do a tracker, AA?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-08, 09:11 AM
Oh, right, good catch. I'll put a tracker in the first post.

Also, time to talk exploration!

Basically, if you turn your attention to the map of the Greenbelt in my OP, you'll see that it is made up of hexes, each given an alphanumeric.

To travel through the Greenbelt, you move through these hexes. You can either simply walk through them, or you can explore. Your Charter demands that you explore them, but going through without doing so is faster.

When you explore a square, I'll uncover it on the map and you'll be able to see the terrain there for yourself. Walking through merely gets you whatever description I give of it. As well, by exploring a hex you'll come across points of interest that are, well, interesting. Oh and you'll get 25 XP per hex explored.

What I'd like from you guys for exploration is that you have a 10+ hex route planned out whenever you start to go exploring. That will make things go really fast. In fact, it would be a good idea to get an OOC discussion about your first route going now while we continue the wondrous RP in the IC thread.

According to the captive bandit's directions, the Thorne River camp should be in hex D4, so you can take that into account in your planning.

Also, if you're curious about speed:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3021/screenshot20120608at100.png

RocketMan
2012-06-08, 11:09 AM
My suggestion for routes is as follows:

From Oleg's Post, first explore D3, then go to D4 and kill the bandits there, then explore that hex.

After than, I'd recommend returning to Oleg's Post to deal with a) any prisoners or b) any unspent money, before leaving and exploring F2 -> G2 -> G3 -> F3 -> E4 -> F4 -> G4. That will give us a neat and tidy almost-quarter of the map explored before we venture further south and west from Oleg's Post.

Leviathan
2012-06-08, 01:50 PM
I concur with RocketMan's route proposal. It sounds good to me.

Blisstake
2012-06-08, 02:23 PM
I disagree. I would just pass through D3, and explore it on the way back to give the bandits less time to prepare.

Leviathan
2012-06-08, 02:26 PM
That's true. All other things being equal, probably better to go after the bandit camp fast and then come back slow.

RocketMan
2012-06-08, 02:59 PM
Sure, that makes sense. The amended route is thus: move through D3, move through D4 to bandit camp, explore D4 -> D3 -> Return to Oleg's -> explore F2 -> G2 -> G3 -> F3 -> E4 -> F4 -> G4.

Blisstake
2012-06-08, 03:09 PM
I can dig it.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-08, 03:25 PM
Good stuff. Sounds like we have two things to get resolved, but the route question seems nailed down pretty well unless Winterfell or OMG have amendments.

Still have to figure out your tactics for the bandit camp, though. That's getting hammered out IC, but I thought it might be helpful just to lay out what's been proposed.

A: Attack in daylight (Viktor's plan).
B: Stealth-kill as many as possible at night, then charge if necessary (Tireas's plan)
C: Stealth-kill as many as possible at night, then retreat and deal with the rest at daylight (Zinovia's plan).

I'm not sure how different Zinovia and Tireas' actually are, and I hope I'm interpreting them right, because they're awfully similar. I think the only difference is that one has the whole group going in at night to attack, and the other pulls out and waits for the sun. But I could be wrong about that.

Winterfell
2012-06-08, 04:44 PM
I'm fine with the proposed route. IC, Viktor support plan A, but OOC I'm also quite okay with plan C.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-08, 10:05 PM
Hey Leviathan, how is it that you make maps in your game? Right now my spreadsheet is meeting with limited success. :smalltongue: Succeeding at ugliness though.

Leviathan
2012-06-08, 10:38 PM
I use AppleWorks on my mac (it comes with the mac, so you'll have it). Just make a table and then highlight squares of it and colour them with the sidebar. Use the shape tools to make everything else, and you're done. Really straightforwards and easy to make.

RocketMan
2012-06-09, 07:02 AM
Rolling OOC to confirm the IC crit on Attack #2:

[roll0]

If that confirms, damage:

[roll1] + 2 = 13 (but I'm pretty sure that didn't confirm :smalltongue:)

Blisstake
2012-06-09, 11:49 AM
Would it be at all plausible to climb the rope without him realizing I'm there until I'm at least halfway up?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-09, 03:36 PM
Yeah, for sure. It'll need a stealth check, so the guard will have a chance of discovering you. But totally a legit action.

And poor RocketMan, not critting :smalltongue:

Blisstake
2012-06-09, 03:51 PM
All right, I figure the rope is easy enough to climb without a check? (Tireas has a +4 if a check is needed)

Stealth: 16, if a 10 can be taken.
Otherwise: [roll0]

Blisstake
2012-06-09, 03:57 PM
Possible crit, not that I think it matters:

[roll0]
[roll1] extra damage.

RocketMan
2012-06-09, 04:33 PM
Assuming Tireas killed the look-out, I'm thinking it's probably better to proceed cautiously from here. I'm not sure what you've got planned Blisstake, but maybe avoiding the fire would be wiser? Both Ilya and Zinovia are out of 1st level spells, so if we get into a big fight, there won't be burning hands or sleep to neutralize multiple enemies at a time. So maybe take out any stragglers and then return to the party to attack in the morning? Thoughts?

Blisstake
2012-06-09, 05:14 PM
I was thinking about using my dagger to slit him across the throat so his clothes/armor don't get bloodied (another reason I didn't use the katana). Then I was thinking of stripping him down, wearing his armor, and putting my disguise skill to good use :smallsmile:

That would probably involve just waiting and killing the person to relieve him.

RocketMan
2012-06-09, 05:59 PM
Tireas can stay up all night dressed as a bandit and kill whoever comes up for watch duty one at a time :smalltongue:

Leviathan
2012-06-09, 06:10 PM
If he sticks around after killing one, they'll probably come check what happened to the guy who was supposed to go off-duty.

Blisstake
2012-06-09, 07:06 PM
If he sticks around after killing one, they'll probably come check what happened to the guy who was supposed to go off-duty.

Then Tireas would be able to escape easily enough. Or just kill them if they come one by one :smalltongue:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-09, 08:33 PM
Leviathan, I assume the spell you cast last round was ray of frost, as it's the only one you have that does damage. But make sure you specify in future, just in case the monster has resistance.

Oh My God
2012-06-10, 05:29 PM
Rolling for channeling here; who knew previewing a post with a die roll in it borked it? I sure didn't!

[roll0]

Blisstake
2012-06-10, 05:46 PM
Rolling for channeling here; who knew previewing a post with a die roll in it borked it? I sure didn't!

[roll0]

Yeah, it's kind of silly how it does that.

Leviathan
2012-06-11, 08:51 AM
Indeed, very silly.

Also silly is a crit with a 1d3 spell; such a waste! Let's see, though.

Confirm:

Touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Edit: well, at least no silliness, then.

Oh My God
2012-06-11, 04:05 PM
Man, that die roller really doesn't like Ilya's Rapid Shot, does it?

Its a sign of how much I enjoy this game that I'm -already- writing up things about the eventual form of government we might have. Evil plans, this one has. :smallcool:

Blisstake
2012-06-11, 05:23 PM
I don't know, I think we should consider what we'd like in the new kingdom, but we shouldn't put stock into anything yet. We don't even know who the leader will be (in some games that's pretty much a foregone decision), especially when you consider that, if we're using the typical leader rules, 4 of our characters would make equally competent leaders (of course, that's keeping in mind that we'd use the original rules. There's a good chance AA will be changing them since they're so borked up)

Oh My God
2012-06-11, 08:57 PM
What I'm writing has more to do with the general -structure- of the thing rather than any specifics as to filled roles; the underpinnings, the substrata to the system that exists below what the PCs will fill. I'm a nerd who plays lots of Paradox games, and the ones I really like involve dickering with really tiny, trivial, mundane things. Ultimately, its is entirely probable that none of it will be used, depending on how and why the actual country creation happens. All I know about this module is that, at the end, we find ourselves holding a scepter and going 'huh!'.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-11, 09:08 PM
I certainly don't mind if anyone wants to discuss kingdom stuff here before we get to part 2. I'm not familiar enough with the rules for that just yet to say what I'll be changing for sure, but I'm open to suggestions.

Enthusiasm about what's to come never hurts, though. And who knows, if I hear anything cool, I might do something with it :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2012-06-11, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I didn't worry about the rules in my game until about a week before it happened. You can check the front page of the OOC if you want the details, but I'm sure you can come up with something better :smalltongue:

RocketMan
2012-06-12, 03:27 PM
I feel like we should wait until we see whether Tireas can hide again before we all go charging in. There's a decent chance that, if he can kill the bandit and then move behind a tree or something that he'll be able to escape the camp. It will be a much simpler fight if we have spells and hitpoints back.

Blisstake
2012-06-12, 03:46 PM
I'm afraid of luring them toward us though. Gah, I should have disposed of the body; I'm a horrible killer!

RocketMan
2012-06-12, 03:53 PM
They'll only be able to follow Tireas if they can find him :smalltongue: Once he rejoins the group, we can all relocate to a position a bit more removed from the camp.

Blisstake
2012-06-12, 06:05 PM
Err, I just noticed, I meant to throw a shuriken, but I said dagger instead. That's why I rolled a d2 instead of a d4. Not really an issue is it?

Blisstake
2012-06-12, 06:11 PM
And a stealth check if necesary

[roll0]

Oh My God
2012-06-12, 07:01 PM
We are (reasonably) close to the camp; they don't -have- to follow Tireas to find us, they just need to execute a good search pattern around their camp. The nice thing about a search pattern, of course, is that it likely means they split up, and (if we spot the group that spots us), we can remove another group of them piecemeal.

Despite the high chance of us being spotted, I still think the best course of action is to hold here. I've got a couple of suggestions for if/when then find us, but its minor things. We'll see if we need it.

Oh My God
2012-06-13, 11:44 AM
Rolling for the last channel of the day before going 'to bed', between that and natural healing, I'm hoping we'll all be nice and topped off for health.

Channel: [roll0]

Leviathan
2012-06-13, 07:58 PM
AA, is it okay for me to retroactively say that Zinovia cast mage armour on herself before the fight started, since I realize I forgot to make a post to that effect?

Oh My God
2012-06-13, 11:16 PM
I too will have Estanos cast a spell 'as we approach'. Namely, Protection from Evil on Viktor.

And the plan wasn't executed -perfectly-, but it'll work fine enough. The general gist was to have Tireas closer to us; less of a full pincer, and more of in a position to immediately flank anyone who charged us. But having Tireas on their flank will be great; he can charge in next turn at B6 and cause some pants wetting fear. Always nice to turn the enemy flank.

I'm suggesting (if he reads this before he posts) that Winterfell has Viktor 'charge' B4, B5, or Kressle (whether its a literal charge to get an attack, or just a double move to get in front of where Zinovia is and have a higher AC is a question; my vote is for the charge). We need to buy the wizardress a round so she can get that Burning Hands spell off; once next round rolls around, Viktor can swing one more time and take a 5 foot back out of the way. If we -don't- move forward to support her, the bandits can just drop their bows, take a step forward, and pretty much murder her (since she's prone).

Winterfell
2012-06-14, 10:04 AM
Rolling to confirm crit from IC: [roll0]
Extra crit damage: [roll1]

Oh My God
2012-06-16, 08:41 AM
All those words, and I roll a sodding 7 on the blamed dice. Here's hoping him desperately wanting to not die means that he's only 'unfriendly'.

Leviathan
2012-06-16, 09:05 AM
Still an impressive result, if you ask me. His talkiness and such strikes me as being unfriendly, and I can't imagine their wouldn't be some sort of circumstance bonus for the fact that he's got to be thinking in the back of his head that we could always enchant him, or torture it out of him, or something :smalltongue:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-19, 10:54 AM
From Kressle's camp, your loot is: 2 masterwork hand axes, 1 silver Stag Lord amulet, 4 daggers, 1 potion of cure light wounds, 1 studded leather armour, 7 leather armour, 7 longbows, 7 short swords, 70 gp.

From Oleg's Post fight (I'll assume you looted it): 1 composite longbow (+2 str bonus), 1 silver Stag Lord amulet, 10 leather armour, 9 longbows, 9 short swords, 90 gp.

Blisstake
2012-06-19, 11:06 AM
I see no reason not to sell the mundane loot, unless anyone's itching for a composite bow or masterwork hand axe. But only one of us has martial weapon proficiency, so...

Oh My God
2012-06-19, 05:02 PM
We'll want to hold on to the amulets; they're potentially useful as components for a disguise if we want to impersonate members of the Stag Lord's brood. They also may be a component for opening a back entrance, or used in a puzzle.

I'm thinking Tireas is the one who should have the potion; he's the one most likely to be out of range of Estanos' healing.

How does buying magic items work in this adventure? Is there a 'depot' back in Brevoy, or is our gold mostly for mundane gear?

RocketMan
2012-06-19, 10:27 PM
Ilya doesn't need any of the gear, so unless someone else does I'm good to sell it all.

Also, re-trying my IC knowledge check: [roll0]

Oh My God
2012-06-20, 12:24 AM
And I may as roll Knowledge (Nobility) too: [roll0]

Winterfell
2012-06-20, 12:48 AM
Viktor doesn't need any of it either, so my vote also goes to selling it all.

Blisstake
2012-06-20, 01:27 PM
Well, we have a couple of things to do now. Any suggestions on what path we should take?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-20, 01:32 PM
If you want to change paths, you're welcome to come up with a new route, but until then, I'll be going off the one RocketMan proposed a while ago.

Oh My God
2012-06-20, 01:49 PM
I'm still in favor of the path we'd agreed on; we don't actually know where these 'quests' -are- in the big, empty map so we may as well just methodically proceed to fill it in. Once we execute that path, I'm thinking we should map the northwestern quadrant. The Fallout series has taught me that the further south you go, the more likely it is you'll be ambushed by a giant group of monsters with miniguns.

RocketMan
2012-06-20, 08:32 PM
I agree with OMG. We may as well proceed methodically. And yes, we know the Stag Lord is somewhere in the south, and metagaming tells us we should probably do everything else before we confront him :smalltongue:.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-21, 04:37 PM
Looks like you're wrapping up at Oleg's. I will move things on to your exploration later tonight, so if you want to post more at Oleg's get them in before then. :smallsmile:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-23, 09:45 PM
Hey folks, let's try to keep things to a daily posting rate if possible. If you're bored with whatever's going on IC or otherwise aren't motivated to post, give me a heads up; I'm happy to change things to make the game interesting.

Oh My God
2012-06-24, 09:15 PM
I can't speak for the others, but I know that I never don't (arrgh, double negatives) post from boredom (this is probably the most fun I'm having); its either because I'm either waiting on a DM reply, or there's just nothing I can post other than," Estanos stands there, looking handsome, adroit, and pacifistic as ever." I could, and would, post that but I worry it would rapidly become wearisome.

Sometimes there's just not something to do; I am personally comfortable with that.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-25, 10:05 AM
Oh, for sure. I'm just very aware that lots of PBP games sink after the initial adrenaline rush of getting in and getting to play a new character fades away. We've got a good team here, but I'd much rather change things up than have the game die. So do tell me if there's something I could be doing better.

Oh My God
2012-06-26, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking of writing up little snippets from Estanos' journal, and posting it here in the OOC thread; sort of a 'window in the head of the priest' thing. I thought it might be a nice little 'extra' thing we could all do, which gives us something to do that's fun and connected to the game while we're waiting for other people to post. What do people think?

On the lighter side; I'm looking at the stats for Trap Door Spiders.

Sweet mother of god. It can one hit drop any of us.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-26, 08:35 PM
I think journals sound like a cool idea. Might be there's some bonus EXP in that sort of thing if they end up being interesting :smallwink: Just don't let it take away from the IC.

And I'm not that cruel! This creature doesn't actually use whatever stats you're looking at. Well, OK, maybe it could one-hit into the deep negatives if it got lucky.

Blisstake
2012-06-26, 08:39 PM
Plenty of creatures can.

I remember the druid who took 30 damage from a maximum damage crit. They were up against an advanced vulture. It was somewhat hilarious, if not disturbing.

Oh, hey, speaking of journals, I forgot about Tireas' letter. Could you put it here or PM it to me, AA? :smallsmile:

Leviathan
2012-06-26, 09:43 PM
Well, Viktor is a brave man if he charges despite all this talk of dying. :smalltongue:

As for journals, I think I could stand to write some for Zinovia. It's a novel idea, maybe one after each milestone in the adventure?

Oh My God
2012-06-26, 10:46 PM
Is there a specific definition for 'milestone' in Pathfinder? Or are you just saying,' After something cool'?

Leviathan
2012-06-26, 10:51 PM
No, there isn't any actual term. I basically did just mean after something cool and/or important happens.

Blisstake
2012-06-27, 08:48 AM
Critical Confirmation:

[roll0]
[roll1] extra damage

Nope!

RocketMan
2012-06-27, 11:15 AM
I like the journal idea, though I'm not sure Ilya's would be terribly interesting. Probably just him whining about various things that happened.

Oh My God
2012-06-27, 11:37 AM
I think that would be hilarious.

" 10th of Gozran, 4708 - Dear Diary, today an icky giant spider tried to eat my best friend in the whole wide world! Things like this never happened back at the palace! :smallfrown: I miss my hot chocolate and kittens and pillows and people who were paid to fan me. The Greenbelt is stinky, and stinks, and is full of stinkers. Sincerely, Ill-Ill."

Blisstake
2012-06-27, 11:46 AM
Things like this never happened back at the palace! :smallfrown:

Sounds like they don't know how to have a good time back at the palace :smalltongue:

Oh My God
2012-06-27, 02:13 PM
Excerpts from...
The Journal of Estanos ibn Rafiq ibn Omar ibn Jacin ibaq Cayin mar Nasra.
Vol. I

3rd of Gozran, 4708:

One day in the Greenbelt 'under our belt' if the pun can be forgiven, and we've already done something great; a small outpost defended from a bandit incursion. Handily done, too. I may have had some doubts about the competence of my fellows for a stint out in the wilds ( the silks Ilya is attired with are not what one should wear in the bush ), but they've proved themselves, and more capable than I could have hoped for.

Speaking of them; my companions are 'interesting' in the extreme. Though they seem to travel as a pair, Viktor and Ilya puzzle me. I understand that this sort of 'duo' is not unusual in the world of adventurers, but nonetheless, it surprises me to see it in action. I wonder at what has forged such a bond of friendship between them; their mannerisms and behaviour do not suggest much similiar in their origins. Tireas and the sorceress I am less certain of; for one thing, they seem too comfortable with taking life. I was horrified when it became clear that the life or death of Marrin mattered as much to them as eating breakfast did.

To be fair, I have no idea what has made them the ways they are. I can safely assume that Tireas has experienced extensive trauma as a result of his ancestry; the racism I have seen him subjected to in even the few days I've been around him is shocking. That even barbarians can treat a man so poorly for something as entirely out of his control as he condition of birth horrifies me, and only underscores the work that must be done here in the savage North.

Zinovia, however, is an entirely separate story. She seems willfully cruel, often for no purpose except for its own sake. I know, in my heart of hearts, that this too has a root cause. I remain convinced that though she is the proximate cause of suffering, that she suffers as well, and that my divinely mandated wrath must be reserved for the cause that is ultimate; whatever set her feet on a path of anger and hate.

I must open my heart to the suffering of others. - Estanos


6th of Gozran, 4708:

I feel like I've made some progress with Marrin. I feel confident now that he has not repented solely to save his own skin, but that he genuinely feels a calling to step out of the shadow that has marred his life to this point. I plan on keeping him here, in the Greenbelt, where I can continue to observe his progress and offer guidance and advice. I doubt the authorities in Brevoy will show him the mercy that his honest conversion requires.

The other bandits I'm less hopeful for. They seem to positively relish the evil that they have done. I am almost certain that they'll be hung upon their return to Brevoy. I must confess that I am tempted to send along a plea of clemency with them, not so much as to spare their lives, but so as to ensure that they receive punishment commesurate with their crimes. I know that this is vengence, and not justice, but nonetheless; my internal voice sits there, whispering it. I have, and will, resist this call to darkness.

The dogma teaches me that I must be strong, and see to it that unrepetant evil has no chance at causing further harm. But, like much else, I am finding that implementing a philosophy is much more complicated than simply studying it. Not a surprise, no, but the degree of difficulty is what shocks me. I know about confirmation bias; I know that people will tend to cling to the ways they are familiar with. But, again, I'd never seen it happen in spite of such obvious evidence. How much clearer can a failure state be than facing execution for your ill deeds?

It feels like I'm coming to know the face of evil, and it isn't fanged and scaled.

I must work harder for the salvation of others. - Estanos

Appendix:

In the back of the book are various sketches, done in a rough hand. While its obvious that the person who comitted the drawings lacks any formal training in art, it is equally obvious that he (or she) possesses at least some native talent. The collection of sketches includes ( but is not limited to ):

* Oleg's Post, exterior, interior of a few buildings, view from the wall
* Rough facial sketches of Oleg, Svetlana, Zinovia, Tireas, Viktor, Ilya, and Marrin
* The Bandit's River camp
* A pair of deer, one grazing

In addition, there are a series of exceptionally rough 'maps' of the areas they've cleared and explored.


If there -is- bonus XP, I would vote for it simply being split across the entire party. Share and share alike, I say. Prevents the trouble of us having different XP tracks off by (generally) trivial amounts, encourages teamwork, and makes it in everyone's best interest to give positive feedback on awesome stuff ( since that will tend to cause the creation of more awesome stuff ).

A few things in closing; I'm in favour of just having a pile of party gold instead of individual totals. Anyone else interested in pooling gold, or are we in favour of keeping our piles separate? Also, I asked whether there was a 'magic item' depot in Brevoy, or if purchasing magic items was impossible ( or how it was to be handled ). What's the answer on that?

Blisstake
2012-06-27, 02:36 PM
Nice journal entries :smallsmile:

I say one stash of gold. We could total each person's deductions from it, but overall I think we can be fair about distributing it without going into every transaction.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-27, 10:48 PM
The map has been updated, if you'd like a more visual view of your journey to date. :smallsmile:

As for journal EXP, it will definitely be added to the group total. I don't want to create a level gap over something like that, even if only a brief one.

Edit: @Blisstake: Probably easiest regarding Tireas' letter if I put it in IC in your next block of travel time. It slipped my mind this time, so after you leave this hex, you'll see it.

Oh My God
2012-06-27, 11:40 PM
Do any of the players have any objection to us hauling Marrin the Ex-Bandit with us as we travel? I see his usefulness as a mobile hitching post and I nod to myself, going," Mm-hmm."

Leviathan
2012-06-29, 02:52 PM
I have no objection to bringing Merrin along for the ride, though it strikes me as a bit of a Red Shirt type of scenario waiting to happen if AA feels in a killing mood. :smalltongue:

Anyways, Zinovia's diary entries:

5 of Gozran, 4708

I have never spent so much time on horseback. They are contemptible, flea-ridden beasts who I would happily leave to the wolves were the alternative not even less desirable. Their every move sends pain shooting through me, and makes my head spin. I do not think my companions have been this yet, though; if I have my way, they will not.

I am certain that the boyish fop, Ilya, will not. Viktor is a brute, and one who will not even use his considerable prowess at violence for his own consistent advantage, but he is misguided, not dim-witted. Estanos, the priest, sees much and knows much. I admire him, in a way, but his path and mine are different, though both difficult to walk. The tiefling, Tireas, is a blank slate. I begin to wonder whether his surname is not a joke that he secretly keeps. Regardless, he keeps his cards close to his chest, to use the metaphor of a crude gambler. That I can appreciate. But it also makes me wary.

We must all play our parts in this venture. Death or injury to one of them would be inconvenient.

8th of Gozran

This land seems infested with bandits, a veritable hive of unwashed men, and, to my shame, a few unwashed women, living a sad life as outlaws. I do not understand this: how is it that they are content to live in such a pathetic state is beyond me. Is it not better to grasp at something greater than a forest camp and, failing, perish, than to persevere in obscurity? That is the choice I have made. I would rather die than become nothing, as these men have done. I hold by that decision. I will not fail.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-29, 05:19 PM
Ooh, more journals! Exciting!

Blisstake
2012-06-29, 09:27 PM
Tireas' Notes

Tireas doesn't have so much of a journal as a collection of observations, ideas, and sketches written without much regard for organization. The writing is cramped and spikey, with a few words misspelled.

Page 1: Estanos
Connections: Likely none of nearby interest
Relationships: Unknown.
Strengths: Useful divine magic, including healing.
Weakness: Slow. Hesitant to kill.

Page 3: Ilya
Connections: Issian Merchants. Apparently some dealings with noble houses
Relationships: Friends with Viktor. No known romantic interests
Strengths: Some magic. Decent with bow.
Weakness: Innattentive, lacks force
(Tireas only has a single sketch for the others, but has crossed out multiple attempts at drawing Ilya)

Page 6: Viktor
Connections: Same as Ilya. Mentioned something about Prince's saftely. Should ask about noble connections.
Relationshiops: Friends with Ilya. No known romantic interests
Strengths: Strong and tough
Weakness: Honorbound and foolhardy. Slow in armor

Page 8: Zinovia
Connections: Some with Surtovas. Probably not many, but worth investigating.
Relationships: None. Romantic interests seems incredibly unlikely.
Strengths: Ruthless. Has powerful magic.
Weakness: Slow, Frail.

Page 10: Magic
Zinovia: Silver Darts, Fire Hands, Sonic Blast, Summon Dog, Magic Armor
Estanos: Heal, Shield, Magic Sword

Page 27: Oleg + Svetlana
Noncombatants. Delayed guard response suggests little important connections. Likely to change when area becomes a nation. Keep on good side. Use Svetlana to get to Oleg if needed.

Last Page: (There are a number of scratches here, one for each enemy Tireas has killed.)

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-29, 09:35 PM
And yet another!

To the question on magic items: the short answer is that Oleg can procure them for you by sending away to larger cities in Brevoy for them, but he'll need the money up front, while Bokken can make potions, and perhaps a few other consumables if you ask nicely.

Edit: Also, as this is the last hex on your planned route, let's get another one planned out for after you're done with this hex IC.

RocketMan
2012-06-30, 11:24 AM
New proposed route (with the intention of exploring the area west of Oleg's Post now): G5 -> F5 -> D5 -> C4 -> D3 -> D2 -> E1 -> D1 -> C2 -> C3 -> B4

Leviathan
2012-06-30, 12:01 PM
I think you missed E5 (between F5 and D5), but besides that, I like it.

Also, does anyone mind if Zinovia takes the wand and the spellbook? Not sure about the ring. Probably get it appraised and sell it, unless someone wants it for decorative purposes?

RocketMan
2012-06-30, 02:04 PM
Yes, I somehow missed typing E5.

Yeah, I'd say sell the ring too. I have another question: did we sell the loot from the bandit camp, and if so, how much money did we get for it? Also, did we ever determine what was in those bottles being delivered to the Stag Lord?

Oh My God
2012-06-30, 07:29 PM
My only addendum to the route would be to suggest that in between D2 and E1, we make a pit stop at Oleg's so we can drop any loot we've gotten by then, have a nice meal and stay indoors for once.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-30, 08:24 PM
@ RocketMan: Nope, you haven't sold any of your loot. You can sell it to Oleg for half market value. And you did establish that the green bottles contained alcohol for the Stag Lord, I believe.

Blisstake
2012-06-30, 08:47 PM
Can we climb on the rocks to our right?

Oh My God
2012-06-30, 08:57 PM
Good god. A troll. Please tell me someone has a repeating form of fire damage. We can't even count on the three men to have done any damage because of regen.

Things to remember; it has reach. Don't charge the sucker, it'll get a free swing ( which will knock you right down ). Regen is only turned off for -one round- after we set fire to it; we have limited fire attacks, we need to time alpha strikes.

Blisstake
2012-06-30, 09:38 PM
Please tell me someone has a repeating form of fire damage.

I'm sure Zinovia won't disappoint.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-06-30, 09:49 PM
Yeah, the rocks aren't hard to climb. You can do it automatically at half your normal speed, or move at full speed with a DC 10 climb.

Leviathan
2012-06-30, 09:59 PM
Oh dear.

Okay, suggested strategy:

Ilya greases the troll, Zinovia ear-piercing screams it. Viktor charges in with a smite, soaking up the troll's only AOO, which hopefully misses. Tireas follows him in, not getting AOOed.

Zinovia moves up and burning hands. If the troll is prone from grease, hopefully our melee get AOOs of their own, but if not, then it's got a terrible AC. Everyone piles on the damage.

Zinovia can do a second burning hands to keep it down, and hopefully we kill it in that round. If not, maybe we can light the grease on fire or just grab some torches.

Estanos heals like crazy!

Oh My God
2012-06-30, 10:09 PM
This plan has the obvious problem of playing to the trolls strengths. Namely, lots of close quarters combat. On the other hand, if we don't have recurring fire damage... I guess it's our path to victory.

On the other hand, we -could- run for our lives. We do have horses.

Blisstake
2012-06-30, 10:23 PM
On the other hand, we -could- run for our lives. We do have horses.

We *could* but someone's in danger. I don't think Viktor or Estanos would want to leave him behind.

Leviathan
2012-06-30, 10:26 PM
That's true, but I don't think we have much choice, since most of our damage comes from melee.

Why don't we take a vote on fight vs run? I'm going to tentatively go with "fight," just because I think our group is strong enough mechanically to beat this. I mean, the troll can only stagger Viktor with max damage on its AOO, and it might not hit him at all, so it's not like we'll get clobbered before getting any hits in.

The biggest problem, actually, might be healing, since the troll will have reach on Estanos if he uses CLW. I guess that, if Tireas or Viktor get hurt, they can five foot step away from the troll after making an attack. That way, Estanos can stay out of range and touch them after they step away.

Edit: also, killing a CR 5 creature will have us very close to level 2.

Blisstake
2012-06-30, 10:50 PM
I vote fight, I wanna be a troll slayer :3

Tireas votes fight as well, but as I said, from a character perspective, I'm not entirely sure fleeing is an option.

Oh My God
2012-06-30, 11:01 PM
I have it's bite doing up to 13 in one go on a non-critical, and of course ( call it ) 3 % chance of landing a critical hit which allows it, potentially, to land a blow that doesn't just one hit drop Viktor (which a 13 would) but one hit kill. That might not be likely, but it's certainly higher odds of death than I like on -our- turn, let alone our first. The odds of death only go up, of course.

It doesn't help that the blighter has the edge in the full attack math; that's the real reason I want to let it charge us. We ready for its charge, it comes to us, we strike it with held actions, we receive only one attack, and then we attack again. If its not nackered from our spells if we charge, we give it a free attack from AoO, and then it gets a full attack of -three- plus rend. That's two less attacks, and a measurable increase in survivability.

My suggestion is that Zinovia, Estanos, Viktor hold actions until the troll charges and then they get some licks/ magic missile/ healing in. Ilya takes his shots, and Tireas moves so when the troll charges in he gets a flank. Second turn, after we weather the one attack, we do Leviathon's plan. Grease, scream, and the whole nine yards. Important that Tireas flanks so as to allow a burning hands on the troll!

Thoughts?

Added: Estanos would not be opposed to flight; there are such things as unwinable fights. Nothing is gained dying in them.

Winterfell
2012-06-30, 11:21 PM
I think waiting for it to come to us makes more sense. We can ready actions, and this avoids the AOO and the full attack. We can grease/burning hands it once it closes.

Leviathan
2012-06-30, 11:21 PM
That plan sounds good to me. I hadn't considered the full attack factor.

Plus, Viktor can fight defensively to decrease squishiness.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-02, 09:46 PM
In the interest of time, I'm going to move the round forward.

Tireas' attack: [roll0]
Tireas' damage: [roll1] + sneak attack [roll2]

Blisstake
2012-07-02, 10:08 PM
That's odd, I thought I rolled already. It was a 12 total or something, but the forum kept giving me trouble.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-05, 09:29 PM
Sorry, folks. Won't be able to get a post up today. Stay tuned.

Leviathan
2012-07-07, 12:43 PM
So who wants to ring that bell :smalltongue:

Oh My God
2012-07-08, 07:12 AM
Sorry about the absence; had a convention that went from 'normal, expected hours' to 'not normal, expected hours'. Too exhausted to be coherent. Back now!

Winterfell
2012-07-09, 09:26 PM
Sorry if it was missed IC, but is the undead evil?

Blisstake
2012-07-12, 09:17 PM
I'll just put the swim check here: [roll0] (accounting for the ACP)

And Leviathan, just in case that can't keep Tireas out of the blast, could you make it any element other than acid? That's the one thing he doesn't have resistance to :smalltongue:

Leviathan
2012-07-12, 09:21 PM
Tireas should be out of the blast as is. But, AA, if for some reason I've got stuff wrong and Tireas is going to get hit, please keep it as fire.

Also, I think you forgot Winterfell's question about whether the undead is evil.

Blisstake
2012-07-12, 09:22 PM
Oh, wow, that was a lucky roll!

Confirm: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-12, 10:38 PM
Huh, I did forget that. If that happens, just ask again; I won't be offended at all. Unfortunately, it tends to happen, just because I might have read it a day or two before actually making a post.

And a new map is up.

Winterfell
2012-07-12, 10:46 PM
Damn, the first undead of the campaign and I don't even get to smite it!

In other news, my post rate may decline over the next few days as I've got some friends visiting.

Oh My God
2012-07-15, 06:35 PM
Casting Defensively DC 15: [roll0]

Will DC 10: [roll1]

Blisstake
2012-07-15, 06:43 PM
Will Save: [roll0]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-18, 06:19 AM
Sorry for the wait on my post. I had to do course selection stuff for university for the past few days.

On the bright side, you just got enough experience points to send you over the edge. Welcome to level two! Roll your HP here, remembering that if your roll is less than the die's average (rounded down), that you can take that instead.

Blisstake
2012-07-18, 07:43 AM
Here's the hp roll then: [roll0]

Half it is

Oh My God
2012-07-18, 09:32 AM
Hit Points: [roll0]

Half it is, too.


Already added the new skill ranks to my sheet, and noted what the new memorized spell will be once he rests.

So, with the spell Tap Inner Beauty and my granted power, I can take ten on a diplomacy check and get a result of 26. Not too shabby.

AA: I've done some digging, and I've found an enchantment that I'm going to eventually want on a weapon. Its in the book " A History of Ashes ", the tenth Adventure Path book. Page 22, " Guided Weapon ". Do you have access to the book, or should I excerpt it for you?

Blisstake
2012-07-18, 11:17 AM
Ooh, the Guided Weapon? I'm pretty sure Leviathan has access to that book :smalltongue:

I'm going to note that it was designed for 3.5, but of course it's AA's decision to allow it or not.

Leviathan
2012-07-18, 06:02 PM
Yeah, the difference is that for Estanos is probably won't be overpowered :smalltongue: I mean, it'll give him a decent backup, but he won't suddenly become a powerhouse.

Also, HP: [roll0]

Edit: and Zinovia is finished levelling up.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-18, 09:42 PM
Ah, guided weapon. I think I'm going to defer judgement on it until you've gained a couple more levels. You'll need a fair amount of gold before you can get it, so I think I'll have that luxury. If I think it won't create any party balance issues, I'll allow it.

RocketMan
2012-07-19, 04:30 PM
Rolling HP: [roll0]

Blisstake
2012-07-19, 04:34 PM
Looks like it's up to Viktor to get higher than average hp :smalltongue:

Winterfell
2012-07-20, 09:01 PM
Looks like it's up to Viktor to get higher than average hp :smalltongue:

Let's see how that goes! [roll0]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-20, 09:38 PM
Viktor's going to need those hitpoints, though! :smallamused:

Blisstake
2012-07-20, 11:39 PM
Hey, does Tireas have Ki from levelling up, or does he need to wait a day

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-21, 06:53 AM
Good question, Blisstake. I think that, when you guys level up but don't rest, you'll get all of your new times per day abilities with half the normal number of uses in that day. So today Tireas would, I believe, have 2 uses of ki, instead of his normal 4.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-21, 11:38 AM
I totally forgot: since you're all medium sized, you'll take -2 on attack rolls while in the mite lair, since it's really cramped.

Winterfell
2012-07-21, 09:47 PM
Fortitude save roll: [roll0]

Blisstake
2012-07-29, 12:49 PM
Just to be clear, Tireas isn't suggesting killing all of the kobolds or anything. He just thinks no matter what strategy is decided on, we'll be able to enter their lair without too much difficulty if we have the statue. Hopefully.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-07-31, 03:53 PM
Busy day for me. IC post is coming later this evening!

ApatheticAbacus
2012-08-04, 11:22 AM
OK, so this game has been going on for a while now, and I'm quite pleased with its success! At this point, I'd like to hear any feedback you have on what's been going well, and what could be done better.

Specifically:

-I've been moving you basically from encounter to encounter while you're out in the Greenbelt. Do you want more time to roleplay with each other? Maybe the occasional camp scene?

-Have the fights been challenging?

-Has the pacing been too fast or too slow?

-Anything else?

Cheers,
AA

Blisstake
2012-08-04, 01:13 PM
RocketMan, what did you do to the dice roller? :smalleek:

Anyway, as for the question, I think the pace is good, but maybe some more roleplaying opportunities would be nice, since usually as soon as we're done with an enemy, we're at the next encounter. On the other hand, that does keep the game moving at a fast pace, which is nice for most forum games.

Also, the difficulty has been good so far. Can't wait for the boss fights.

Leviathan
2012-08-04, 02:38 PM
I think RocketMan is cursed. The dice roller is definitely out to get Ilya.

I know as a DM that it's hard to figure out where to put RPing time in. From the looks of it, Kingmaker is even worse, since it seems to be pretty separate encounters situated in each hex. So when do you put in RP time? My thoughts would be that having some sort of RP event, whether free time for us, or an NPC, should happen every couple encounters. And definitely after each big series of encounters.

Difficulty has been good. I've enjoyed the fast pace of the game, but slowing our EXP gain down a little for more RP time wouldn't go amiss.

Oh My God
2012-08-04, 02:56 PM
I really, really like this game. I joined two other games at the same time as this one, and they've both puttered out. And I'm very glad this game hasn't joined them.

As to the questions; I always want more RP time, but I also always want more cake. Doesn't mean I should have it. I was thinking we would be making more trips back to Oleg's than we are, but we just keep running in to encounters. Guess the Greenbelt is just full of stuff, huh? And as to challenge, it feels pretty solid. I honestly thought that troll was going to kill us.

I'm really excited about any progress we make, because it gets us closer to the goal I'm super excited about; our own wee country.

And lastly; Ilya needs to get some new dice.

Oh My God
2012-08-07, 01:19 PM
I can already picture Estanos' next letter home to the Empire.

" Dear Arch-Cannoness. Good news! I have brought thirty four kobols, one bandit, three owls and one hill billy to the True Faith! Huzzah!"

ApatheticAbacus
2012-08-08, 09:41 PM
Haha! Speak of writing, if anyone wants to do more journals, I wouldn't be opposed. Especially those of you who didn't do one the first time :smallsmile: There might be EXP in it!

Winterfell
2012-08-12, 10:54 PM
My apologies, I thought I was going to be able to post today but life got in the way. It will be up tomorrow.

Oh My God
2012-08-16, 09:08 PM
I'll definitely be doing more journals when my time opens up: speaking of time, I'm moving next Friday, and I'll have limited time for writing posts. I don't anticipate not being able to post at any point, but it might mean I'm writing on my iPod in the lobby of a hotel, so I might not be as verbose as usual.

Blisstake
2012-08-18, 02:30 PM
I think we're ready to move forward. :smallsmile:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-08-21, 11:37 PM
Anyone who wants to do something but kill (and possibly eat) the boar should chime in before whenever I'm able to post tomorrow.

Oh My God
2012-09-02, 07:16 PM
And I'm now safely in sunny Santa Cruz, with my desktop all set up once more.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-09-03, 10:25 AM
What a great place to be OMG! I myself have just returned from a short vacation too. And now, to the IC thread for some whimsy and mystery!

Oh My God
2012-09-03, 04:38 PM
Exploding canaries.

I smell gnomes.

Blisstake
2012-09-06, 05:32 PM
This is OOC knowledge, but Erastil is primarily a god of the community, and most of his temples are inside of rural towns. Nature worship is usually the domain of Gozreh or The Green Faith, which would be the most likely to be isolated.

But there are always exceptions, of course.

Oh My God
2012-09-07, 10:27 AM
Indeed he is! And to Estanos, a 'rural town' is virtually indistinguishable from 'wilderness'. He's a city boy from the Padishah Empire, and hardy frontiersmen -are- nature worshipers where he's from.

Leviathan
2012-09-08, 12:49 AM
ApatheticAbacus has called me to inform me that he is presently drunk, and thus that the post he intended to have up tonight will not be coming until tomorrow. :smalltongue:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-09-08, 11:40 AM
You know, Leviathan, when someone is inebriated, you don't need to make public everything they say :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, in more serious business, I've updated the map in the original post.

Oh My God
2012-09-08, 12:16 PM
Lets be serious; if Leviathon had made -everything- public, it would have included a blow by blow description of how awesome you thought the music you had been listening to was.

Blisstake
2012-09-16, 07:33 PM
I sure do get a lot of critical threats. Let's hope this one confirms!

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

RocketMan
2012-09-23, 12:17 PM
I forgot to actually roll a perception check for my IC post, so here it is.

[roll0]

Blisstake
2012-09-23, 03:00 PM
I think we're ready to move on to the next place.

Oh My God
2012-09-24, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have a current tally of our money and/or loot? If not, I'm glad to volunteer to count stuff up and keep track of it. I just don't want to duplicate work already done.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-09-25, 01:45 AM
Sorry folks, I didn't have enough time to move you forward to the next hex, but I didn't want to leave you hanging. That'll be coming tomorrow. You're welcome to post or not post until then.

Winterfell
2012-10-02, 10:26 PM
Did Viktor's Detect evil work? If it didn't he'll do another one on Prelivash and on the other creature.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-02, 10:52 PM
Blagh, I am bad at remembering to do your detect evil results. The good news is that, as in this case, if I forget, it's usually because there's nothing important to tell (no evil).

Oh My God
2012-10-02, 11:07 PM
A re-asking of the," Do we have a running loot / gold total, and if not, would it be desired that I keep track of that? " question.

Edit: Also, what's our current route? If we don't have one, can we head back to Oleg's to liquidate loot, check in on NPCs, turn in quests ( hah! ), and then finish off the northwest quadrant of the exploring?

Leviathan
2012-10-02, 11:57 PM
I don't think anyone's been keeping track of our loot so far. I know I haven't :smalltongue: I do think we still have a route that's heading back towards Oleg's Post (RocketMan suggested it many pages ago).

Oh My God
2012-10-03, 12:18 AM
Looks like we're somewhere between C4 and D3; Once we're in D3 proper, we only need to go through D2 before we can detour in to Oleg's post at E2 before hitting E1.

Winterfell
2012-10-06, 10:06 PM
The forums are back now, hurray!

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-07, 01:43 PM
Hurray or the forums working again!

When you folks want to move on, indicate as much IC. But I don't want to rush things when there's good RP going on.

Oh My God
2012-10-08, 02:41 PM
My first examination shows that ( having sold all mundane gear we picked up from the two bandit fights), the following is the state of the parties finances.

1,922 Gold Pieces and 5 Silver Pieces.

In addition, we currently have: 3 Stag Lord Amulets, Potion of Cure Light Wounds, Wand of Magic Missiles, A Ring, and a Spellbook. The treasure pickings have been a little slim, so far.

I know we're planning on selling the ring; what is the desire to be done with the Wand and the Spellbook?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-13, 02:46 PM
I think Zinovia was going to take the book and the wand.

Anyhow, since nobody had any more to say, you're back at Oleg's Post. Since you're done with your old route, I'll need a new one before you can venture out again.

Oh My God
2012-10-14, 01:10 PM
For exploration path, I'm going to suggest just going up to E1, heading straight west to A1, right on down to A2, then coming all the way back to Oleg's past along the 2's. Clearing nine more hexes, and setting up a run through the remaining 3's, 4's, and 5's.

As for the merchant; I assume we're selling the mundane gear. So we've got 1,992.5 GP in the party kitty. Doesn't actually give us much of a budget for buying anything fun.

RocketMan
2012-10-15, 10:17 AM
Unless Winterfell wants the masterwork longbow for Viktor I think it's safe to sell that too, since neither Ilya nor Tireas can use it. Ilya would like the arrows though.

Winterfell
2012-10-16, 09:49 AM
For exploration path, I'm going to suggest just going up to E1, heading straight west to A1, right on down to A2, then coming all the way back to Oleg's past along the 2's. Clearing nine more hexes, and setting up a run through the remaining 3's, 4's, and 5's.

That plan sounds good. Second, Viktor doesn't need the bow so I'd say sell it.

Oh My God
2012-10-17, 05:11 PM
I'll be posting about the letters Estanos is reffering to in his IC post in the next couple of days. They aren't imminently important.

And adding the masterwork bow to the kitty doesn't add all that much to the total. We're still hilariously low on funds. Thoughts?

Blisstake
2012-10-17, 05:36 PM
I'm sure we just haven't hit the jackpot yet. Give it a little time :smalltongue:

Might buy a masterwork katana with my share to help Tireas hit things. Hitting things is usually good.

Oh My God
2012-10-18, 04:46 PM
With the Masterwork Longbow sold, our current pool is 2180 GP. Let me know if you do go through with purchasing that masterwork katana so I can debit it accordingly; that goes the same for everyone, too. The money is there to be used, but be sure to let me know so I can keep track of it.

And my concern stems from the degree to which we're behind the curve; we're very nearly to third level. We're 'supposed' to have around 3,000 GP worth of gear/wealth each; what we've got is more like 1/6th that. I know that WBL is only a very broad guideline, but that feels pretty stark. Should we try to figure out some extra ways to make money? Guided tours of the Stolen Lands for jaded nobles? *eyes Ilya*

Blisstake
2012-10-18, 06:43 PM
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Always wait until the adventure is over before looking over the WBL tables. We've been doing fine with these encounters so far, so I don't think there is any cause for concern. :smallsmile:

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-18, 08:13 PM
I get the concern, folks, that you're low on gold. I admit I haven't been monitoring it super-closely, but some of the problem is also that a lot of the money you get over the course of this module comes from quest rewards (tatzylwyrm killing and kobolds, mainly). So things should pick up once you've got that. Rest assured, though, that I'll keep a closer eye on things and make sure you're around WBL by the time you hit level 3.

Oh My God
2012-10-19, 02:13 PM
Since the ring isn't Svetlana's and it isn't magic, we can sell it. What's the value of the ring?

Oh My God
2012-10-19, 02:21 PM
Rolling some dice:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-19, 02:37 PM
To de-mystify those rolls a bit, they're something I asked OMG to roll based on a letter he PMed to me. There's nothing untoward going on; I just enjoy having the element of realism that you guys don't know everything that everyone's doing.

So obviously, everyone should feel free to avail themselves of that if you'd like.

And as for the ring, it's worth 400gp.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-21, 11:05 AM
If you've got anything to finish up at Oleg's, try to post soon. I'll be getting you back on into the woods now that you've got a path settled later today unless anyone has outstanding business.

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-22, 10:29 AM
Fact check: my latest IC post referred to the Narlmarches being to the west. This is not the case. The marsh in question is in fact the Hooktongue Slough. I've edited the IC post to reflect that, but if you read it beforehand, here you go!

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-22, 06:02 PM
And, for my 4th post in a row, speaking of geography, I've put a new section in the OP of this thread with a little bit about the geography of the Stolen Lands (with lots of giant pictures). I'll add more for other regions if it's something you folks are finding helpful.

Oh My God
2012-10-24, 12:30 AM
With half the value of the ring, we're at 2380 GP.

Did anyone make any purchases at the Trading Post they didn't announce?

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-24, 01:46 PM
If anyone wants to buy something, just say so. I'm pretty lenient as to whether or not you're actually in Oleg's Post IC, so long as you have been recently.

Leviathan
2012-10-26, 10:06 PM
Spellcraft for item identification: [roll0]

Winterfell
2012-10-28, 08:26 PM
Viktor already has a masterwork bastard sword, so I don't need it, so I think that can be sold. I think the best choice for the ring of protection is Tireas, since his AC is pretty low and he is in the thick of things quite often.

Leviathan
2012-10-28, 08:36 PM
So do we want to sell the ring and put the proceeds towards more effective gold use? Because in that case, I think MW or magical weapons for Tireas and Viktor, and maybe Ilya, or +2 stat items all round would be nice. Of course, the latter especially could be some ways off.

Blisstake
2012-10-28, 08:38 PM
Oh derp, I checked the OOC before the IC. I didn't realize we found a ring of protection. Of course I'll take it! :smalltongue:

Oh My God
2012-10-29, 12:17 AM
... are you guys really planning on trying to sell the sword that was looted from a grave over the objections of a PC with the justification of," We might really, really, really, really need it?"

ApatheticAbacus
2012-10-29, 12:41 AM
OK, folks, let's talk about loot. You want it, and it's darned important for you guys to be able to take on challenges. That's been observed already: hence why you're worried about being behind in wealth by level. Paizo, in designing the adventure path, is placing loot in specific places with specific IC justifications for that placement. Some of those justifications are sketchy, like being in a sarcophagus, for example. Some PCs might have a problem with taking that loot. Some might not. But if you want to stay at WBL, I wouldn't recommend leaving too much of it behind Ė you can't have it both ways.

Generally speaking, I'm concerned by any statement that begins with an ellipsis (...) because normally they convey frustration when employed in that way. So, to the last point, I want to make it very clear that IC and OOC are separate, and they need to stay separate. You're all roleplaying vibrant, complex characters who might care about these issues. They might get angry or upset if people disagree. But if you as a player are getting upset at other players for roleplaying their characters differently from yours, take a step back before things get personal.

It isn't really fair to get upset with people because they're playing their characters a certain way. After all, if there's an IC conflict, it's equally because you're playing your character a certain way. The key is to keep those conflicts IC. And remember, ultimately your character is someone you have control over, so all conflicts between characters are manufactured to some extent. If you don't like them, there are many times (though perhaps admittedly not every time) when you can avoid them.

The short version of the above is that, to keep the game running smoothly, I as DM expect everyone to make sure nothing bubbles over. OMG, I'm worried based on how I'm interpreting your comment here that you're not pleased with the result of the last scene. Ask yourself why that is: if it's because Estanos didn't get what he wanted, you should consider whether, despite that, you as a player got what you wanted. And if that's the case, there really is no reason for conflict.

AA, out!

Winterfell
2012-10-29, 02:03 AM
... are you guys really planning on trying to sell the sword that was looted from a grave over the objections of a PC with the justification of," We might really, really, really, really need it?"

I'm sorry if Viktor didn't act as Estanos liked. That said, we were, as you put it, "hilariously low on funds" so I figured bypassing the gear offered would probably be counter to our long term objectives.

Oh My God
2012-10-29, 03:31 AM
My comment here is less anger, and more just utterly flabbergasted. Why? The argument put forth on the looting of the tomb was best summed up by Ilya's," Hey, wouldn't it be a shame if we really needed these things to stop the Bandit King and one of us wound up dead since we didn't have it?" Once we'd gotten past it, I was less than pleased ( failing to convince a Paladin not to rob a grave feels like an ill omen for any future diplomacy ), but I was content to soldier on. As impossible as it is to falsify, the 'maybe we'll need it!' argument has excellent adventurer pedigree. It wasn't nailed down after all. I did my best to React Differently.

So to find talk of selling it immediately which will pretty directly invalidate that argument and reveal the looting for what it actually is ( naked greed ) was more than a little surprising.

But that's okay! Its going to cause a serious row when they get back to Oleg's Post and they try to hock this dead guy's ancestral sword, or whatever it is, for money. It'll be a lot easier for Estanos to make the point when Viktor or Ilya or whomever is holding the actual thirty pieces of silver. I'm all about shooting fish in a barrel. So long as that's understood, hey, go for it.

As to the idea that this is intended to keep up with WBL, or anything like that; selling a masterwork bastard sword gets us roughly one percent of the total funds we should have as a party of 5 third level PCs ( I'm rounding us up to third level, as we're very nearly there ). Its a drop in the bucket. Strip mining the world, right or wrong, doesn't seem to be the best or most genuine way to me to get the gear our characters need.