PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Armors

Kerilstrasz
2012-06-03, 01:46 PM
I m not asking if the following is a good choice, im asking if its possible by the rules...

A skinny human fighter opens his closet and wears a leather armor, then he wears above it a chain shirt and cocludes by doning his fullplate...
the 3 armors are crafted at the proper size for it and he has the Str to be in light load with all 3 of em....
so he gets a total AC of 14 (armor only), check penalty of 8, a decrease in speed of.. hmm.. 15(?) and a max Dex bonus of 1.

Considering those are mundane armors the "slot" rule applies? cause with an open mind in real life is doable.. but we r talking about rules now..

i suppose donning 2 purpose-custom fullplates cant be any helpfull at all cause he wont be able to move unless they get enchants "light" so "slot"rule applies..

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-03, 01:49 PM
Multiple armor bonus don't stack.

Kerilstrasz
2012-06-03, 01:52 PM
ok.. thnx..

lock plz

Zilzmaer
2012-06-03, 02:55 PM
Dastana from AEG provide a +1 armor bonus to armor class, and explicitly do stack with other armor. I feel like there was another exception, but I can't think of it.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 03:43 PM
Dastana from AEG provide a +1 armor bonus to armor class, and explicitly do stack with other armor. I feel like there was another exception, but I can't think of it.

Chahar-aina from Oriental Adventures

Little Brother
2012-06-03, 04:20 PM
Dastana from AEG provide a +1 armor bonus to armor class, and explicitly do stack with other armor. I feel like there was another exception, but I can't think of it.Dastana are actually shields. Still, they stack(And, because of how its worded, I do believe +5 Dastana and +5 Buckler would stack for +12AC), so it doesn't matter much.

Plus, if Iron Kingdoms are allowed, the longcoats also stack, IIRC.

Savannah
2012-06-03, 04:44 PM
Also, if you want a fluff restriction to go with your mechanical restriction, remember that "full plate" isn't just the plate mail, but also the padding underneath and extra stuff (same for the other armors). So it wouldn't make sense to put on leather, then the padding, steel cap, and chain shirt of a "chain shirt", then the padding, gauntlets, boots, helmet and plate of "full plate".

Feyyore Dirkear
2012-06-03, 05:41 PM
I would have suggested weightless doubleplate with a ring(and many other items) of armour or natural armour.

Solaris
2012-06-03, 06:19 PM
Also, if you want a fluff restriction to go with your mechanical restriction, remember that "full plate" isn't just the plate mail, but also the padding underneath and extra stuff (same for the other armors). So it wouldn't make sense to put on leather, then the padding, steel cap, and chain shirt of a "chain shirt", then the padding, gauntlets, boots, helmet and plate of "full plate".

Pretty much. A character putting on full plate is already putting on padded armor, leather armor, and chainmail below the plate itself.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 10:15 PM
Dastana are actually shields. Still, they stack(And, because of how its worded, I do believe +5 Dastana and +5 Buckler would stack for +12AC), so it doesn't matter much.

It's explicitly worded not to stack. Don't remember if it's in the OA errata or the OA update (Dragon 318).
Also, dastana are not shields (it's more like a pair of bracers), they just require shield proficiency. It's an armor bonus, even.

Agent 451
2012-06-03, 10:31 PM
Dastanas only stack with certain armors (Padded, leather, and chain shirts, specifically). They do however explicitly stack with all shields (OA pg. 75).

Edit: Nothing about non-stacking in the errata. There is also the Chahar-Aina on the same page that stacks with the same armors as the dastana, and it also stacks with any shield bonus in 3.0.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 10:35 PM
Dastanas only stack with certain armors (Padded, leather, and chain shirts, specifically). They do however explicitly stack with all shields (OA pg. 75).

Edit: Nothing about non-stacking in the errata.

What I meant with non-stacking was the enhancement bonus. +5 dastana and +5 chahar-aina don't get you +12 AC.

Agent 451
2012-06-03, 10:37 PM
Oh. No worries :smalltongue:

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 10:43 PM
Oh. No worries :smalltongue:

Also, found the ruling.

Both dastanas and chahar-ainas provide special armor bonuses to AC that stack with other armor bonuses granted by certain forms of light armor. However, it is still the case that only one enhancement bonus can apply to a character's armor bonus at any time. Thus, if a character wears +2 dastanas, a +1 chahar-aina and +1 cloth armor, only the +2 bonus from the dastanas increases AC.
It goes on to say you still get multiple abilities. The example is +2 balance dastanas plus +1 displacement chahar-aina. You get +2 enhancement to AC and both the balance and displacement special abilities.

Little Brother
2012-06-04, 04:58 AM
It's explicitly worded not to stack. Don't remember if it's in the OA errata or the OA update (Dragon 318).
Also, dastana are not shields (it's more like a pair of bracers), they just require shield proficiency. It's an armor bonus, even.Damn, it does't work? Oh, well, still free AC.

I know what they are, but. rules-wise, they're shields. They are in the shield part of the table in AEG, and provide a shield bonus.

Darrin
2012-06-04, 06:29 AM
I know what they are, but. rules-wise, they're shields. They are in the shield part of the table in AEG, and provide a shield bonus.

Text Trumps Table. A&EG states that the dastana provides an armor bonus that stacks with both the foundation armor and a shield bonus.

OA uses basically the same wording, both the dastana and chahar-aina provide an armor bonus "that stacks with both the foundation armor and any shield worn".

The OA Web errata and Dragon #318 update don't mention any changes to the dastana or chahar-aina. The Sage ruling isn't official errata, but at least it makes sense. Enchanting your dastana/chahar-aina with armor enhancements is usually a lot cheaper, particularly if you've already got several enhancements on your armor/shield.

I don't think it's ever been settled if wearing a chahar-aina (which requires medium armor proficiency) causes the underlying light armor to become medium armor. While it's easy to eliminate the -1 ACP by making it masterwork, certain class abilities may stop working if you're no longer wearing light armor.