PDA

View Full Version : Making a holy watergun?

Demonic_Spoon
2012-06-03, 02:27 PM
So the Book of Exalted deeds has the Sacred Vessel relic which automatically changes any water placed in it into holy water. Could you combine this with a decanter of endless water and a aiming device to make a holy watergun? All undead and evil outsiders shall know fear!

Any other such inventions the playground would like to share?

Gandariel
2012-06-03, 03:11 PM
Well, two of my players and I spent more or less an hour evaluating the possibilities of the Decanter of Endless Water as a weapon..

It all began when we randomly wondered how much force did the thing exert.
We did some math, and in the end we came up with some sort of rifle gun powered by two decanters... i don't remember the exact details, but i'm sure the thing had POTENTIAL.

Decanters of endless water have so many possiblities..
You can stick two of those on a turtle and call it a Blastoise!

Ernir
2012-06-03, 03:15 PM
It wouldn't be very difficult to do in principle, but the People For Ethical Catgirl Treatment group would flay us alive.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 03:16 PM
We did some math, and in the end we came up with some sort of rifle gun powered by two decanters... i don't remember the exact details, but i'm sure the thing had POTENTIAL.
Please think of the catgirls.

Volthawk
2012-06-03, 03:20 PM
Well, there is the good old badger-launcher. (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/)

Gandariel
2012-06-03, 03:21 PM
Yes, in fact i specifically didn't allow it in my game. (That would count as genocide, right?)

BUT, i'm allowing my players to use another custom item: the Steel High-Five gloves!
(still got to decide the name)

Basically, it's a pair of steel gloves.
They can't be wore by the same person, two people each need to wear one.
Three times per day, if they're standing next to each other, they can both use a standard action to perform a High five.
This creates a shockwave which deals 4d8 sonic damage to everyone within 50 feet, and deafens them for 1d6 minutes unless they succeed on a Fort save

Invader
2012-06-03, 03:24 PM
Yes, in fact i specifically didn't allow it in my game. (That would count as genocide, right?)

BUT, i'm allowing my players to use another custom item: the Steel High-Five gloves!
(still got to decide the name)

Basically, it's a pair of steel gloves.
They can't be wore by the same person, two people each need to wear one.
Three times per day, if they're standing next to each other, they can both use a standard action to perform a High five.
This creates a shockwave which deals 4d8 sonic damage to everyone within 50 feet, and deafens them for 1d6 minutes unless they succeed on a Fort save

That is LEGEN.... wait for it

DARY!:smallbiggrin:

Gandariel
2012-06-03, 03:26 PM
Yeah, i know =)
one of my players proposed it, and i'm allowing it just because it is SO awesome =)

Palanan
2012-06-03, 04:33 PM
My first 3.5 gaming group used a Decanter of Endless Water, plus a hasty Bless Water spell, to create our legendary Holy Fire Hose.

Our DM was running Heart of Nightfang Spire, and we were in a fight with a vrock, and getting badly clobbered. It was some years ago and I forget the details, but there was some hair-rising timing as the cleric dropped his Sanctuary long enough to bless the water right as the mage opened it up towards the vrock.

Our method probably didn't adhere precisely to the rules, but our DM was laughing so hard he couldn't find the breath to say no. The vrock just melted like cheap wax. One of our greatest encounters, which took about six hours of intensely argued gaming time. I'll have to find my notes on that.

Gandariel
2012-06-05, 04:56 AM
Also, i forgot:
two decanters can successfully work as a jetpack for a Small creature (yes, one death is a small price to pay for this)

doko239
2012-06-05, 05:31 AM
Also, i forgot:
two decanters can successfully work as a jetpack for a Small creature (yes, one death is a small price to pay for this)

Hmmmmmm...

According to my very quick 5 AM math, two decanters should be able to provide ~230 newtons of thrust (60 gallons (227 liters, 1 kg/liter)/round accelerated to travel 20' within 6 seconds), which can counteract earth-standard gravity for a mass of up to ~23 kg, or ~51 lbs.

Ignoring the weight of equipment etc (including the decanters themselves), Gnomes and Halflings range from 25-35 (+2d4) lbs, average of 35.

This leaves us with appx. 157 newtons of thrust exceeding the amount required to maintain lift. 157 newtons applied to 35 lbs results in a net acceleration of ~9.5 m/s/s. At that rate of acceleration, ignoring wind resistance and assuming you come to a full stop at the end of your movement, you could travel 171 meters (565 feet, or 113 squares) in 6 seconds (one round).

This math seems off somehow, I might be missing something, like I said it's now 5:30 am and I should really be asleep right now :smallbiggrin:

Gandariel
2012-06-05, 05:52 AM
The first part of your math is right.
The acceleration one isn't. (Probably because of conversion mistakes)
Will post correct math later

DigoDragon
2012-06-05, 07:20 AM
One of my players came up with a contraption he called the "Holy Hose". Basically a bellows with a fillable jug attachment. Just fill it up with holy water and then pump the bellows to squirt whatever you feel needs divine rehydration.

It... wasn't really all that powerful outside fighting undead, but made for a fun invention and no catgirls were harmed in the process.

Agent 451
2012-06-05, 11:31 AM
Don't forget the sprayer from A&EG. It only lasts three pumps on its own, but combined with a decanter of endless water being filtered through a sacred vessel? Holy water mist of death!

Qwertystop
2012-06-05, 12:01 PM
Don't forget the sprayer from A&EG. It only lasts three pumps on its own, but combined with a decanter of endless water being filtered through a sacred vessel? Holy water mist of death!

I prefer mixing Aboleth Mucus with water to thin it to sprayability, then putting that in the sprayer.

AOE no-save-just-die.

Agent 451
2012-06-05, 12:04 PM
Fancy. We had a game once where we filled it with petrol, and attached a candle to the front to make a flame thrower. Needless to say the DM, while approving the idea, had a little bit of fun with us and changed the wind direction so it immolated the user instead...:smalleek:

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-05, 01:54 PM
Fancy. We had a game once where we filled it with petrol, and attached a candle to the front to make a flame thrower. Needless to say the DM, while approving the idea, had a little bit of fun with us and changed the wind direction so it immolated the user instead...:smalleek:

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo133/solarlens/catgirls.gif
Please think of the catgirls. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSidUMJ2XZ4)

Necroticplague
2012-06-05, 02:55 PM
In a vein of similar devices, my group once made a large, blunt, ballista bolt. It's purpose was that when it hit a target, the force of it suddenly stopping would cause a portable hole inside it's hollow shaft to fall into a bag of holding. The result drags the wall, and the nearby enemy troops, into the astral plane. Expensive, but we made up the loss by allowing us to not need any catapults and winning us the siege, which gave us an opportunity to loot and steal enough to make up for it.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-05, 02:56 PM
Oh, I do think of cat girls. You see, every time a fangirl, or fanboy, squees, the gods create a catgirl.
Discussing physics in a role playing context prevents over population, and all the famine, plague and suffering that would result.
So please, think of the cat girls.

prufock
2012-06-05, 03:36 PM
Could you just put a Bless Water trap on a Decanter of Endless Water with the Touch (Alarm) trigger?

Ravens_cry
2012-06-05, 04:05 PM
Could you just put a Bless Water trap on a Decanter of Endless Water with the Touch (Alarm) trigger?
What about the costly spell component (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWater.htm)?

Demonic_Spoon
2012-06-05, 06:01 PM
In a vein of similar devices, my group once made a large, blunt, ballista bolt. It's purpose was that when it hit a target, the force of it suddenly stopping would cause a portable hole inside it's hollow shaft to fall into a bag of holding. The result drags the wall, and the nearby enemy troops, into the astral plane. Expensive, but we made up the loss by allowing us to not need any catapults and winning us the siege, which gave us an opportunity to loot and steal enough to make up for it.

Sounds like the arrowhead of ultimate destruction (http://unicorn.us.com/alex/dnd/superweapon_arrowhead.gif)

prufock
2012-06-06, 02:43 PM
What about the costly spell component (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWater.htm)?

For automatic reset traps you add the cost of the component x 100, so 2500 gp. Pricey at lower levels, but the OP didn't specify any particular level range.

Arcanist
2012-06-06, 03:16 PM
PaO a Sacred Vessel into making it colossal size and the build the Sacred Vessel into a fountain and place a few Decadents of Endless Waters into them and let the Holy Water over flow into the Abyss and the Baator via a permanent Gate Spell :smallamused:

That'll teach those Evil Outsiders to mess with me :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2012-06-06, 05:43 PM
For extra fun, if your DM rules dust of dryness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dustofDryness) can absorb holy water, the word 'carpet bombing' springs to mind.